LG 65EC9700 OLED Owners Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1196Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 1475 Old 02-11-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 23,821
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6313 Post(s)
Liked: 6315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post
Several delays don't magically turn the 65EC9700 into a 2015 model.
I always say 2014-2015 model.......... Can't go wrong with that.
oni222 likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 1475 Old 02-11-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 17,407
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallcoolone View Post
yes my greek is very good
ellenas?
oni222 likes this.
JimP is offline  
post #1083 of 1475 Old 02-11-2015, 02:18 PM
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maybe ⅓ of the way from here to there.
Posts: 10,026
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
If the software is multithreaded, sure.
Perhaps you're thinking of a hyperthreaded CPU. That is not the same as a multi-core cpu.

A multi-core cpu is effectively the same thing as multiple physical CPU's. The distribution of processes across these CPUs does not require support from the software, but rather is entirely OS driven. You can write software to utilize processes more cleverly and exploit multiple CPU (core) architectures, but it's not strictly required.

By the way, if you've ever taken an course on writing operating systems, you'll realize quickly how insanely complicated this can be to pull off. The low level mutexes and address controllers are a nightmare. It's yet another technology I give credit for ever having worked at all.

Hyperthreaded CPUs however is more of a multiple CPU "emulation"-esque design, where the cpu is conceptually split, but at a much higher level. and absolutely does require the software to be written in a way to exploit it. In fact you can have this hyperthreaded design for each of the physical cores in the system.

Last edited by tgm1024; 02-11-2015 at 02:22 PM.
tgm1024 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1084 of 1475 Old 02-11-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 6,411
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Perhaps you're thinking of a hyperthreaded CPU. That is not the same as a multi-core cpu.

A multi-core cpu is effectively the same thing as multiple physical CPU's. The distribution of processes across these CPUs does not require support from the software, but rather is entirely OS driven. You can write software to utilize processes more cleverly and exploit multiple CPU (core) architectures, but it's not strictly required.

By the way, if you've ever taken an course on writing operating systems, you'll realize quickly how insanely complicated this can be to pull off. The low level mutexes and address controllers are a nightmare. It's yet another technology I give credit for ever having worked at all.

Hyperthreaded CPUs however is more of a multiple CPU "emulation"-esque design, where the cpu is conceptually split, but at a much higher level. and absolutely does require the software to be written in a way to exploit it. In fact you can have this hyperthreaded design for each of the physical cores in the system.
I realize the difference between multiple cores and multiple threads, but I specifically mentioned multithreading as, aside from when running an app, a smaller firmware applications like the OS for a TV would likely not have multiple processes running, or if it did would handle it using a simple task switching scheduler, meaning the only use for multiple cores would likely be if the current task were multithreaded.

Whether multiple cores or multiple threads (or multiple strands, or …), without breaking a task down into simultaneous subtasks, having more than one thread or core does you no good.

Where this becomes difficult to analyze is that I'm unaware of whether the hard core computing going on in a TV set, namely conversion of the input signal into a form suitable for sending to the panel, is typically done in software and sent to the panel via a device driver of some type or if it's all done via dedicated hardware.

The fact that visuals/banding have been reported to be affected by firmware updates seems to imply that LG takes a mixed approach, perhaps with DNR processed via a software algorithm.
kucharsk is offline  
post #1085 of 1475 Old 02-11-2015, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
ChaosCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Yes my Greek is very good

I would think the 10 cores must help otherwise why would they put it in there? I doubt it was just for marketing purposes but I wouldn't be surprised. Perhaps it's for faster processing so their input lag is much better, many advanced image processing algorithms have a lot to gain from being multi-threaded.
Perhaps each core is assigned to a portion of the screen. i.e. with a quad core, the screen is divided into quarters, each core calculates the scaling, noise reduction, sharpening, etc. for that portion. Somewhat similar to how graphical rendering programs work. If that's the case then 10 cores would reduce input lag compared to 4 considerably. I doubt that 10 cores would offer any benefit for navigating menus and that kind of thing.
ChaosCloud is offline  
post #1086 of 1475 Old 02-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
TallCoolOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosCloud View Post
Perhaps each core is assigned to a portion of the screen. i.e. with a quad core, the screen is divided into quarters, each core calculates the scaling, noise reduction, sharpening, etc. for that portion. Somewhat similar to how graphical rendering programs work. If that's the case then 10 cores would reduce input lag compared to 4 considerably. I doubt that 10 cores would offer any benefit for navigating menus and that kind of thing.
Well it would help with menu navigation to some degree...many TVs menus are very slow and unresponsive depending on what content is playing on the TV (like my old Samsung), because they are still processing the signal and showing the menus (some with transparency, etc) simultaneously on top of the video. Multiple cores would have huge impact on this performance.

@JimP : nai, geia sou!
TallCoolOne is offline  
post #1087 of 1475 Old 02-11-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 6,411
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Once again, only if the menu-generation software is in some way parallelized.

A lot depends on what the cores are tasked to do; if the video processing is done in software, and the software properly designed, more cores mean less lag.

On the other hand, the embedded processor in use may simply be made with more cores, and LG is simply taking advantage of the marketing cache.

This is a little like the way you can purchase computers with a relatively large number of cores, but if the software you use isn't written to take advantage of them, you're better off buying a system with chips with fewer cores but operating at a higher clock frequency, just like the "old" days.

I wonder if anyone's been deep enough into the guts of one of these to note whether the processor is proprietary or not and or whether the video processing is hardware, software or a mixture?
kucharsk is offline  
post #1088 of 1475 Old 02-12-2015, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SiGGy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 407
ARM based CPU. The internal OS is ARM based Linux which supports SMP. Absolutely multiple processes running all the time with Linux scheduler moving them between all cores.

I highly doubt any of the ARM cores handle any complex type of video processing. They are simply not fast enough for 4k video in real-time. Especially with them not running a real-time OS.

Complex video processing would all be done in DSP or an ASIC. Most likely DSP but ASIC possible if they tried to save money.

A lot of ARM chips now days include GPU (similar to dsp) cores which could be used for the video processing. These GPU processors are fully programmable, the code is loaded on to them from the "apps" ARM processors usually at boot. Thus new firmware on apps arm processors (Linux webos) can load new video processing code on the GPU (dsp).

Nothing new here. Programmable processors go back a long ways. US robotics started a lot of it with their old courier modems. A firmware update for the internal dsp would give you the latest and fastest modem speeds. No need to buy a new modem.

This process continues in many devices today; your cellular radio is dsp based (multi-core dsp). Cellular signal processing is extremely complex.

You would probably be shocked if you knew how many processors are really inside a phone chip. They only advertise the number of cores for the apps side...

** Have to add that a GPU is technically NOT a DSP (although it can be used this way); I'm using the term loosely because it represents programable processors.
sooke and slacker711 like this.

Last edited by SiGGy; 02-12-2015 at 06:56 AM.
SiGGy is offline  
post #1089 of 1475 Old 02-12-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SiGGy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Yes my Greek is very good

I would think the 10 cores must help otherwise why would they put it in there? I doubt it was just for marketing purposes but I wouldn't be surprised. Perhaps it's for faster processing so their input lag is much better, many advanced image processing algorithms have a lot to gain from being multi-threaded.
LG is engineering their own ARM CPU(s) now (licensed from ARM). This is the same CPU they use in their phones and tablets. They are simply reusing it; lowers costs.

Read above post on where video processing is done...

edited

Forgot to add; LG's OCTA-core CPU was 8 core; but not like you might think. It was technically 2 quad core CPU(s) it had four 1.5GHz Cortex A15 cores for high performance apps and four 1.2GHz Cortex A7 for lower performance apps. As a whole the processor didn't perform as well as other Quad core units. I haven't read about the 10 core CPU yet; but I would guess it's more of the same... marketing... have to read between the lines of what the "white papers" say a bit. Not to say 8 cores wouldn't be useful in other architectures (not phones). I would leave the design up to a different company whom has been doing it longer. There are many ways to connect the cores together internally in the chip... decisions like this can make or break the performance.
britanico likes this.

Last edited by SiGGy; 02-12-2015 at 10:17 AM.
SiGGy is offline  
post #1090 of 1475 Old 02-12-2015, 08:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Burn in with 4x3 content

I am taking delivery on a unit ordered from Crutchfield within hours, and I was reading the manual online. It includes warnings about burn in resulting from watching 4x3 content, which I intend to do a lot of. Any thoughts/recommendations on how to avoid this potential catastrophe?
vaktmestern likes this.
movie53 is offline  
post #1091 of 1475 Old 02-12-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,007
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7255 Post(s)
Liked: 8012
Mix up your content and be very careful for the first 200-300 hours.

I would minimize how much letterbox or pillar box material I'd watch at the beginning.
markrubin, SiGGy and oni222 like this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #1092 of 1475 Old 02-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Desk.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by movie53 View Post
I am taking delivery on a unit ordered from Crutchfield within hours, and I was reading the manual online. It includes warnings about burn in resulting from watching 4x3 content, which I intend to do a lot of. Any thoughts/recommendations on how to avoid this potential catastrophe?
This warning appears in all LG TV manuals - including those for LED sets.

That said, it'd be wise, like Ken says, to be cautious and mix up the content on the set, especially in the first hours of use.

Desk
Desk. is offline  
post #1093 of 1475 Old 02-12-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
greenland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,590
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by movie53 View Post
I am taking delivery on a unit ordered from Crutchfield within hours, and I was reading the manual online. It includes warnings about burn in resulting from watching 4x3 content, which I intend to do a lot of. Any thoughts/recommendations on how to avoid this potential catastrophe?
Rather than having to try and be careful about limiting the amount of 4:3 and letterboxed content I watched during the first three hundred hours breaking in new plasma sets, I always found that it was more worry free to just use the zoom options to have the screen fully filled all the time during the break in period, so you might wished to consider that option. Best of luck and enjoyment with your new OLED TV.
greenland is offline  
post #1094 of 1475 Old 02-12-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post
Rather than having to try and be careful about limiting the amount of 4:3 and letterboxed content I watched during the first three hundred hours breaking in new plasma sets, I always found that it was more worry free to just use the zoom options to have the screen fully filled all the time during the break in period, so you might wished to consider that option. Best of luck and enjoyment with your new OLED TV.
Give up a bit of 'Director's intent' for greater 'peace of mind,' eh? Good suggestion...
greenland likes this.
fafrd is offline  
post #1095 of 1475 Old 02-13-2015, 05:39 AM
Member
 
albsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
LG is engineering their own ARM CPU(s) now (licensed from ARM). This is the same CPU they use in their phones and tablets. They are simply reusing it; lowers costs.

Read above post on where video processing is done...

edited

Forgot to add; LG's OCTA-core CPU was 8 core; but not like you might think. It was technically 2 quad core CPU(s) it had four 1.5GHz Cortex A15 cores for high performance apps and four 1.2GHz Cortex A7 for lower performance apps. As a whole the processor didn't perform as well as other Quad core units. I haven't read about the 10 core CPU yet; but I would guess it's more of the same... marketing... have to read between the lines of what the "white papers" say a bit. Not to say 8 cores wouldn't be useful in other architectures (not phones). I would leave the design up to a different company whom has been doing it longer. There are many ways to connect the cores together internally in the chip... decisions like this can make or break the performance.
I bet you're an Apple fan.
iSheep are the only ones that believe that dual core is better than quad core.
Why not believe that quad core is better than deca core?

On the other hand, do you really believe that engineers and software engineers at LG are a bunch of people that do not know what they are doing?
Aren't you one of those that are complaining about laggy WebOS?
Then, how to resolve? Install iOS? I don't think so. This is already a pretty expensive TV.
albsky is offline  
post #1096 of 1475 Old 02-13-2015, 06:02 AM
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Lower the Oled light the first 100s of hours thats given me the best result. 930s n 2013s fragile to screen imperfections the first 100s
vaktmestern is offline  
post #1097 of 1475 Old 02-13-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SiGGy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by albsky View Post
I bet you're an Apple fan.
iSheep are the only ones that believe that dual core is better than quad core.
Why not believe that quad core is better than deca core?

On the other hand, do you really believe that engineers and software engineers at LG are a bunch of people that do not know what they are doing?
Aren't you one of those that are complaining about laggy WebOS?
Then, how to resolve? Install iOS? I don't think so. This is already a pretty expensive TV.
Actually no, IMO Apple has drifted off the beaten path since Steve passed. Their vision is gone; it's now all "lead by committee" which is obvious in the latest IOS which is a huge mess. I'm quit the opposite actually if you search my posts.

Are LG engineers capable of slapping a bunch of big.LITTLE cores in to fulfill some marketing hype? yes. Application and CPU benchmarks show their octa-core didn't perform as good as other quad cores; nor did it save battery life. Main problem is there are issues with heat and having to downclock the high performance cores when it heats up. LG is just now (late) jumping into chip design for ARM. Other companies have been doing this for a lot longer and are just simply better at it (solving issues like heat in the design). It takes time to refine a chip and experience manufacturing them; unknown to most but chips made all from the same wafer do not all come out performing the same! As an example mobile/radio chips are each calibrated at the factory to balance and match with itself and it's components/traces/antenna (which also slightly differ).

While the octa-core (two different quad cores) idea itself is neat; I'll wait for someone to implement it correctly. It's just like 64bit. Most people don't even know what 64bit does for them. In reality for the basic user it basically does NOTHING! Unless you are running a large server or running some insane application (3d rendering or scientific modeling) it's pretty worthless. The real gain going 64bit is memory addressing. 32bit systems are limited to addressing 4GB of RAM; they had to add a hack in called "PAE" (physical address extension) to see/use memory past 4GB. 32bit apps can only allocate up to 4GB of RAM and this is where 64bit is useful. With 64bit O/S your apps can allocate more than 4GB; that is the advantage. Seeing as most phones don't even have more than 4GB of RAM; going 64bit is kinda pointless on the phone. And thinking any mobile app today would need 4GB of RAM is kinda crazy.... The added 64bit support is for ARM pushing into the server market. Vendors making phones will slap the 64bit on there to make it sound better.... So no, it's not like your Nintendo/Sega/Atari/Playstation where going from 8bit to 16bit to 32bit to 64bit was a big leap.

"one of those"? Please find me a post where I say anything about WebOS performance or usage.

Answer is optimize your software and hardware not just simply tossing more hardware at the problem. IMO WebOS is great; but if it's poorly implemented in software/hardware using it won't be much fun.
Hisma likes this.

Last edited by SiGGy; 02-13-2015 at 07:25 AM.
SiGGy is offline  
post #1098 of 1475 Old 02-13-2015, 07:03 AM
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maybe ⅓ of the way from here to there.
Posts: 10,026
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
I realize the difference between multiple cores and multiple threads, but I specifically mentioned multithreading as, aside from when running an app, a smaller firmware applications like the OS for a TV would likely not have multiple processes running, or if it did would handle it using a simple task switching scheduler, meaning the only use for multiple cores would likely be if the current task were multithreaded.
I think I see what's happening here. You're using "multithreaded" in a way that seems to include multitasking/processing, and that's not something I think is technically correct. Basically, if what you mean is that you can't just take any old single process and throw it simultaneously across multiple CPUs, then that's correct. But the point I'm making is specific to hyperthreading, which requires a specific code change to take advantage of. Even if I write a multithreaded application, if I don't specifically enable it, it won't take advantage of hyperthreading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Whether multiple cores or multiple threads (or multiple strands, or …), without breaking a task down into simultaneous subtasks, having more than one thread or core does you no good.
I think we're almost on the same page here, but not quite. I think we're in a terminology collision.

It's very unlikely that any complex graphics/imaging application with BOTH interaction, 3rd party apps, AND real time throughput constraints, including an embedded one, is not multi-tasked/processed in nature. It just cannot be done properly: There are just too many times where a chunk of code is required to wait for something, and even if a small slice, this is time best given to something else. Even in real-time OS's, this is best handled by pre-emptive multi-tasking, with very specialized guarding to avoid being put on the wait queue for too long. And you'll never get a single hyperthreaded CPU to approach the multi-CPU (or multi-core) throughput at any given point in time for any given state of CPU technology. Never.

I've noticed over the years that people often forget that when all the processes are resident in memory at once that the actual overhead for multiprocessing is remarkably low. It's litterally only the shuffling around of register values. They confuse this with demand paging hits.

Last edited by tgm1024; 02-13-2015 at 07:27 AM.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #1099 of 1475 Old 02-13-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dnoonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA area
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Why are LG and others having OLED headaches?

Why are LGs new displays late?

OLED isn't easy, here's an article that might help us understand if you're into some gritty details,

Tackling the “Achilles’ heel” of OLED displays

http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2015/mass-...-displays-0212, it not only talks about their OLED tech but also about some of the headaches that it overcomes. It sound's like LG is using some more advanced techniques, wasn't that nitrogen that killed the LG workers? This tells how nitrogen is used in the manufacturing process.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)

Last edited by dnoonie; 02-14-2015 at 08:41 PM.
dnoonie is offline  
post #1100 of 1475 Old 02-15-2015, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 21,093
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked: 3539
thread cleanup

please limit posts to thread title

thank you
Yappadappadu likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner


markrubin is offline  
post #1101 of 1475 Old 02-15-2015, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 17,407
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Why are LG and others having OLED headaches?

Why are LGs new displays late?

OLED isn't easy, here's an article that might help us understand if you're into some gritty details,

Tackling the “Achilles’ heel” of OLED displays

http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2015/mass-...-displays-0212, it not only talks about their OLED tech but also about some of the headaches that it overcomes. It sound's like LG is using some more advanced techniques, wasn't that nitrogen that killed the LG workers? This tells how nitrogen is used in the manufacturing process.

Cheers,
Interesting article.

Has anyone actually started building a plant that will use the Kativa injet method to produce large OLED panels for home theater use?
JimP is offline  
post #1102 of 1475 Old 02-15-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 4,210
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Interesting article.

Has anyone actually started building a plant that will use the Kativa injet method to produce large OLED panels for home theater use?
I don't think so.
RWetmore is offline  
post #1103 of 1475 Old 02-15-2015, 07:51 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thx
jps-911 is offline  
post #1104 of 1475 Old 02-16-2015, 08:05 AM
Senior Member
 
oni222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Yes my Greek is very good

I would think the 10 cores must help otherwise why would they put it in there? I doubt it was just for marketing purposes but I wouldn't be surprised. Perhaps it's for faster processing so their input lag is much better, many advanced image processing algorithms have a lot to gain from being multi-threaded.
As a full blooded Greek myself I can confirm what you are saying.

Also I just received my LG 65EC99700 this morning so if you need any testing on my end tell me.

Reciever: DENON AVR-X7200WA using 7.2.4 with two center speakers (one behind the screen and one below it).
Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 Gen1
Projector: Xiaomi UST Laser Projector 4k (2019 edition).
My current setup: https://imgur.com/gallery/RnRc98a
oni222 is offline  
post #1105 of 1475 Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,007
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7255 Post(s)
Liked: 8012
All your observations would be much appreciated oni.

Congrats on the display!
oni222 likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #1106 of 1475 Old 02-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
Yappadappadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hamburg/Germany
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 509
@oni222 : Nice surprise. And at a great price, too. Congrats. Waiting paid off, considering how much it costs now.
Guess that Best Buy store still has no stock though, since they probably didn't even receive enough sets to cover all preorders.

LG C7D
Yappadappadu is offline  
post #1107 of 1475 Old 02-16-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 23,821
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6313 Post(s)
Liked: 6315
Quote:
Originally Posted by movie53 View Post
I am taking delivery on a unit ordered from Crutchfield within hours, and I was reading the manual online. It includes warnings about burn in resulting from watching 4x3 content, which I intend to do a lot of. Any thoughts/recommendations on how to avoid this potential catastrophe?
Lots of good suggestions above. Man anything in 4:3 will probably look terrible on a new flat panel of any kind, including OLED. 4:3 is normally like 480P resolution at best.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #1108 of 1475 Old 02-16-2015, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 10,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Lots of good suggestions above. Man anything in 4:3 will probably look terrible on a new flat panel of any kind, including OLED. 4:3 is normally like 480P resolution at best.

We are not playing apple game here;(


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zoro is offline  
post #1109 of 1475 Old 02-16-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 4,889
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Lots of good suggestions above. Man anything in 4:3 will probably look terrible on a new flat panel of any kind, including OLED. 4:3 is normally like 480P resolution at best.

Have you seen Casablanca on Blu-ray. It looks sensational. For that matter, so does the Dick Van Dyke Show, From Here to Enternity, etc. Need I go on? All shot with film in B & W and have incredibly clear and detailed imaging. Terrible, you must be joking!

Louder is NOT better!
JWhip is offline  
post #1110 of 1475 Old 02-16-2015, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by movie53 View Post
I am taking delivery on a unit ordered from Crutchfield within hours, and I was reading the manual online. It includes warnings about burn in resulting from watching 4x3 content, which I intend to do a lot of. Any thoughts/recommendations on how to avoid this potential catastrophe?
i just dont see how 4:3 or LB movies have a true "burn in"risk
If you watch only 4:3 or lb, then yes, over time, I can see the middle portion of the screen being less bright as the side portions, due to difference in aging

but, if the side of the screen is off, then short term, nothing can actually burn in per say as there is nothing on that portion of the screen
i accidently left my screen on all night once(luckily, it was on an input that was off so it was a black screen) on my 9800
if you could get short term burn in from 4:3 or lb, then I should have gotten total screen burn in by having it show black for so long
5x10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off