75 inch FALD vs. 65 inch OLED - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 75 Old 06-30-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Well there ya go, who needs a shootout with that kind of compelling data.

Oh, and yes, FALD blacks CAN compare, the shootout showed that. The blacks are still blacker in OLED, but in many instances they looked on par.
You know you'll always wonder how awesome that 77" Oled would have looked in your place Ken. Maybe not this year, maybe next. It will eat away at your soul. Enjoy your Sony Judas!
Ken Ross and UltraBlack like this.

Benq HT3550/LG OLED65B6P /Panny UB820 4k Bluray/Apple TV 4k
Nvidia Shield/HDFury AVRkey/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 75 Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Edwin, I agree, it makes no sense at all. What makes even less sense is the fact that Sony doesn't even allow for the use of the onboard speakers as a left/right pair.
At 75" Sony should have offered a soundbar that would position below the screen.
post #33 of 75 Old 06-30-2015, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7370 Post(s)
Liked: 8247
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
Sorry, Edwin

I wanted the OLED. I did not "prefer" the Sony or Samsung. But after the ShootOut, I'm going FALD.

By the way, where am I playing with numbers? I averaged the combined scores of both the Experts and the Visitors. What is wrong with that?
And I was in precisely the same position as anyone who read my posts prior to the shootout knows.

But it's difficult to continue with your prior biases when you see such a glaring defect as we saw at the shootout.

And speaking of biases, I'm amused by the dismissive attitude of some regarding black levels of the best FALD LCDs. They obviously haven't seen them nor did they see them at the shootout in a darkened environment.

The fact is a display like the 940c has black levels that match and possibly exceed that of any plasma. Further, in most scenes, there was very little difference in black levels between the Sony and the OLED.

It's one thing to say OLED blacks are blacker (and they are), but the real question is how much blacker and how often is it really that visible. For me the answer was not that much.

IOW, even for a black level fanatic like me, I found the black levels to be more than adequate on the 940c. They appeared at least as good as my Sharp Elite and better than my Samsung F8500 plasma.

Most importantly, there wasn't a single instance where I was pulled out of a scene because of black levels that were inadequate.

Add to that, for those that are so interested, the Sony and Samsung are more future-proof than the OLED and offer far greater screen sizes for similar prices.

Would I still take a problem-free 77" OLED for a price similar to that of the Sony? Yup. But such is not the case.

Some of us move on and do so without the feeling of 'settling'.

Lots of great displays out there guys and they're all not OLED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 75 Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
You know you'll always wonder how awesome that 77" Oled would have looked in your place Ken. Maybe not this year, maybe next. It will eat away at your soul. Enjoy your Sony Judas!
I'm sure some in the 'OLED community' now think I have no soul.
post #35 of 75 Old 06-30-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
The fact is a display like the 940c has black levels that match and possibly exceed that of any plasma. Further, in most scenes, there was very little difference in black levels between the Sony and the OLED.

It's one thing to say OLED blacks are blacker (and they are), but the real question is how much blacker and how often is it really that visible. For me the answer was not that much.

IOW, even for a black level fanatic like me, I found the black levels to be more than adequate on the 940c. They appeared at least as good as my Sharp Elite and better than my Samsung F8500 plasma.

Hersey, hersey

JimShaw
Ken Ross likes this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #36 of 75 Old 06-30-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm sure some in the 'OLED community' now think I have no soul.
Ken

That's funny. A week ago I e-mailed Robert that I seriously was considering the UN78JS9500. After the note, I mentioned not to let you know because I told him you might send a hit-mam my way because I was turning my back on OLED

JimShaw
Ken Ross likes this.

Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #37 of 75 Old 06-30-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=Ken Ross;35446378]I'm sure some in the 'OLED community' now think I have no soul. [/QUOTE
Only 6 months to CES and new models.
post #38 of 75 Old 06-30-2015, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=Orbitron;35446578]
Quote:
I'm sure some in the 'OLED community' now think I have no soul. [/QUOTE
What?? And this starts all over????

JimShaw

post #39 of 75 Old 06-30-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
Ken

That's funny. A week ago I e-mailed Robert that I seriously was considering the UN78JS9500. After the note, I mentioned not to let you know because I told him you might send a hit-mam my way because I was turning my back on OLED

JimShaw
That is funny Jim. Not long ago I might have sent the hit men after you.
post #40 of 75 Old 06-30-2015, 08:19 PM

[quote=Orbitron;35446578]
Quote:
I'm sure some in the 'OLED community' now think I have no soul. [/QUOTE
And a month after that you'll say 'Only 11 more months to the next CES'.

It never ends.
UltraBlack likes this.
post #41 of 75 Old 06-30-2015, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=JimShaw;35446866]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post

What?? And this starts all over????

JimShaw
Shopping list for 2016: 4K UHD Blu-ray player, 4K UHD display, Atmos/DTS:X pre pro.
post #42 of 75 Old 07-01-2015, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Basically experts opinion carries more weight (or is it wiet ). Audience vote is less relevant. Four out of five experts voted for LCd. The fifth one, who voted for OLED, was probably Katzmaier, he will vote OLED no matter what..Why? ''black levels''.

Why is the audience vote less relevant?

Why is the one expert vote for OLED rejected as "he will vote OLED no matter what"? That's too easy.

This is very selective look at the results so that is matches your personal preference.

I could argue that I find the audience votes more important because those folk call it as they see it whereas the experts focus too much on test patterns instead of the actual PQ as a viewer would experience it.
post #43 of 75 Old 07-03-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Jim, obviously I agree as I was in the same position as you and have ordered the Sony. The extra 10", especially for 4K, is a huge bonus.

As I've said before, It's really tough to figure out the scoring. I'd say it was the most bizarre scoring of any shootout I've gone to.

I even wonder how Samsung's screen uniformity rated higher than Sony's?
WTF? I haven't looked in this forum a while and stumbled on this thread and, WTF? I guess I need to wade through the shootout.

Did Trump endorse Hilary? Did gay marriage get legalized?

(shhh. We've secretly replaced Ken Ross with vegas_oled. Let's see if our patrons notice)
rlindo and Turrican4D like this.
post #44 of 75 Old 07-05-2015, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I'm sure FALD can do very good black levels but do the limited zones introduce artefacts (halos etc.) on certain material as reported by some people in the past?
post #45 of 75 Old 07-05-2015, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
I'm sure FALD can do very good black levels but do the limited zones introduce artefacts (halos etc.) on certain material as reported by some people in the past?
Yes, even the best FALDs have slight halos in high contrast white text on black background. Like what you would find in the rolling end credits of a movie. Thankfully, I never watch the credits roll. It also shows up the more off axis you are. If you view off axis and need subtitles or read a lot off your display, then an OLED might be a better option.
post #46 of 75 Old 07-05-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
We learned at the shootout that it's not just the number of zones, but what the manufacturer does with those zones. On a properly set up 940c, viewed on axis, I'd think the only time you'd see blooming is on credits. We didn't notice it during normal content at the shootout.

In fact the Samsung, with more zones, showed more blooming. This is why you can't go by the # of zones as a sole determiner of blooming.
Ph8te and Redmist like this.
post #47 of 75 Old 07-05-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Quote:
We learned at the shootout that it's not just the number of zones, but what the manufacturer does with those zones. On a properly set up 940c, viewed on axis, I'd think the only time you'd see blooming is on credits. We didn't notice it during normal content at the shootout.

In fact the Samsung, with more zones, showed more blooming. This is why you can't go by the # of zones as a sole determiner of blooming.
As ChadB stated the sony X940C has a significantly better native panel contrast than the samsung JS9500 so the zone dimming becomes less of a factor, that is probably the main reason why blooming is less of an issue on the sony .
sytech, Turrican4D and StinDaWg like this.
post #48 of 75 Old 07-05-2015, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
I have come to the conclusion based on what's out there, if I had to choose among these imperfect selections, like Ken I'd pick the Sony.

It meets my needs in a next TV mostly:

1) Size
2) Sufficient contrast
3) Good performance in most room conditions

That said, I value it at perhaps half of what it sells for. Maybe $4500-5000 given the size....

I'm delighted I'm not in the market for a new TV right now.
Ken Ross likes this.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #49 of 75 Old 07-05-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
I have come to the conclusion based on what's out there, if I had to choose among these imperfect selections, like Ken I'd pick the Sony.

It meets my needs in a next TV mostly:

1) Size
2) Sufficient contrast
3) Good performance in most room conditions

That said, I value it at perhaps half of what it sells for. Maybe $4500-5000 given the size....

I'm delighted I'm not in the market for a new TV right now.
Mark do you have any insight as to what is happening to the LG OLED with this ridiculous edge darkening issue? Hardware versus software, etc.

How could LG release for sale such an imperfect product?

Are they trying to destroy the market for what potentially could be the next big thing before it even has a chance of gaining a foothold?

Bish
post #50 of 75 Old 07-05-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Ken, the samsung smart connect box wasn't a consideration for you for futureproofing?

Looking forward to your review once you get comfortable with the 940C! Congrats.

Last edited by RobertR1; 07-05-2015 at 03:12 PM.
post #51 of 75 Old 07-05-2015, 04:43 PM

Bob, I really wish Sony and others had the smart connect box. Even if it was only to simply upgrade inputs, it would demonstrate value.

However in the end, I'd go with the display that I thought had the best PQ, smart connect or not.

As for the 940c, I still haven't fully pulled the trigger, but thanks.
post #52 of 75 Old 07-05-2015, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OLED is the better technology, I just wish it had a better TV maker behind it. LG, IMO, just exudes mediocrity in its TVs so I don't really trust them to make OLED as great as it can be. I think I'd prefer Sony or even Panasonic (due to their amazing plasmas) at the h

That said, I'd take a 65inch OLED over anything else at this time. I'll be waiting for the LG 65EF9800 price drops around this time next year.
post #53 of 75 Old 07-05-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
Thankfully, I never watch the credits roll.
Why not?

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #54 of 75 Old 07-05-2015, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Yeah, I paid $3K for my 64" Samsung plasma. 70-80" is ideal for my room but I wouldn't pay more than $5K unless it's truly a leap forward in the things that matter like contrast, black level and motion resolution. My plasma already looks slightly better than my local cinema with the possible exception of some slight banding and motion noise when sitting close (and the banding is mostly Blu-ray's fault for only being 8-bit color.)

Sometimes artefacts bother me much more than subpar performance but I will check out the Sony when I get a chance to see if I could live with it.
post #55 of 75 Old 07-05-2015, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Mark do you have any insight as to what is happening to the LG OLED with this ridiculous edge darkening issue? Hardware versus software, etc.
I don't. I engaged in some wild speculation that it could be a handling /hardware problem.
Quote:
How could LG release for sale such an imperfect product?
I think the reality is most people who buy it are pretty happy... and it's a tiny niche product right now.
Quote:
Are they trying to destroy the market for what potentially could be the next big thing before it even has a chance of gaining a foothold?
I don't see it at that way. It's growing pains. If they try to sell a million of them and they are defective and people hate them, well then it's probably game over. That doesn't seem to be the case.
thebishman likes this.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #56 of 75 Old 07-06-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Thanks Mark, I appreciate your insights.
Bish
post #57 of 75 Old 06-13-2016, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm reviving this thread after about a year since the last response. At the moment, I'm trying to decide between a 75" 4K and the 65" LG OLED E6p, which is the latest model with the picture on glass. It is a stunning piece of design.

Let's leave price out of it - the 75" 4K that I would buy is actually the same price as the 65" LG OLED.

For me, it's 100% about the size of the TV. I already have a 75" 4K TV and I love the immersive experience. I've viewed the LG OLED in the retail stores - and it's clear to me that the picture quality of OLED is better than LCD/LED TVs.

I realize that dropping down to 65" will probably compromise the immersive experience that I do want. However, the salespeople suggest that the gorgeous picture quality of the LG OLED will more than make up for the 10" decrease in size.

I don't really need the absolute best picture on the planet, but the other reason why I would hope that I'd be OK with the 65" TV is because the room that it will be going into aesthetically supports a 65" TV over a 75" TV (by aesthetically, I mean that the 65" TV will look physically better in the room - viewing distance is about 10 feet, so both 65" and 75" TV are OK but, again, at 10 feet away the 65" LG OLED won't give me an immersive experience).

Would appreciate any thoughts about whether, given the amazing picture that the latest LG OLED's provide, it's better to go for the best picture technology even if it means dropping down in size.
post #58 of 75 Old 06-13-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #59 of 75 Old 06-13-2016, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quality trumps size if size has noticeable imperfections.

But here you go:

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED77G6P-oled-4k-tv

The best of both worlds. Please start a new owner's thread if you should purchase one.
post #60 of 75 Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
Quality trumps size if size has noticeable imperfections.

But here you go:

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED77G6P-oled-4k-tv

The best of both worlds. Please start a new owner's thread if you should purchase one.
I plan to make my decision in the next week, but I am struggling a bit with this choice. I just finished reading some owners' reviews of the 65" LG OLED E6P - and they're all stellar. That's no surprise; I expect the picture quality to be amazing. I just want it to be so amazing to overtake my general preference for a huge screen.

And thanks for the link to the 77" OLED. Unfortunately, $25,000 or so is just a bit over budget!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page