Official Owners Thread 2015 LG 55EG9600 / 65EG9600 4k - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9302Likes

post #4831 of 5758 Old 09-23-2016, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardes3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djnardu View Post
Well I spoke too soon.

The seller I purchased the TV from called to inform me there was a mistake and they are out of stock of the TV.

So they are upgrading me to a 65C6P for free!

Well not free..the $2,499 I paid..but I guess that is a pretty good deal for the 2016 model.

Where did you buy it form ?
Seller on Amazon called Elite Liquidators.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 5758 Old 09-24-2016, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Still no firmware update on my end .... very weird.... wonder what is going on
post #4833 of 5758 Old 09-24-2016, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oarneb View Post
Still no firmware update on my end .... very weird.... wonder what is going on
Same here. UA model still on firmware 04.05.05. LG support shows version 04.05.25 current as of 9/23/2016.

UB models should also be getting a new version 04.25.40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4834 of 5758 Old 09-24-2016, 08:52 AM

Couldn't wait any longer did it via USB .... still no HDR on UA over HDMI eh it was worth a shot
post #4835 of 5758 Old 09-24-2016, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Version 04.25.40

1. Improvement
1)Apply the EPA specification.
- Notify ?the energy consumption may be affected? message if picture mode is changed and ABC/MEC is changed.
(APS<-> Other picture mode)
2) Change the Picture Quality setting.

Wasn't available via WiFi, so I went the USB route.

These update descriptions on the LG support website are inane I might add.
A tad more info compared to how Sony handles firmware changes, but still vague as hell.
Sometimes I cannot believe it's 2016 ...
post #4836 of 5758 Old 09-24-2016, 10:33 AM

The description sucks and the techs usually have no clue about it either. I swear they look at the same website as consumers
post #4837 of 5758 Old 09-24-2016, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatot View Post
Version 04.25.40

1. Improvement
- Notify ?the energy consumption may be affected? message if picture mode is changed and ABC/MEC is changed.

A tad more info compared to how Sony handles firmware changes, but still vague as hell.
Yeah, changed the picture quality setting how?

It popped up on it's own that one morning, but ever since I can't get it to see the update. I could go USB, but I'm in no rush.
post #4838 of 5758 Old 09-24-2016, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
On the UA model the WebOS version went from 2.2.1-2131 to 2.2.1-2135.
Looks like a minor update.
post #4839 of 5758 Old 09-25-2016, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Version 04.25.40

1. Improvement

Micro-stuttering has been greatly diminished on my unit.
WebOS responsiveness has greatly improved too, with the subcategores almost popping up instantly now.
post #4840 of 5758 Old 09-25-2016, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Micro-stuttering has been greatly diminished on my unit.
WebOS responsiveness has greatly improved too, with the subcategores almost popping up instantly now.
With true motion on or off? and what settings if so?

this is the update that just came out?

LG 65EG9600-UB 602
LG 55C6P 702
post #4841 of 5758 Old 09-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
With true motion on or off? and what settings if so?

this is the update that just came out?

True Motion on for DVR ... Set to 3 for De-Judder, 9 for De-blur.

True Motion off for my Oppo BD player.
post #4842 of 5758 Old 09-26-2016, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
its obviously some type of limitation on the UA boards, but I believe I read here some UA users getting a UB board swap that want HDR to be pushed through HDMI sources,

UA HDR-lessness over HDMI is a pretty big caveat (imo) considering HDR is getting all the hype,
I would like to know who was able to do that. I called last week to try and get LG VIP support to upgrade my UA to a UB and the guy flatly said that neither UA nor UB are advertised as supporting HDR over HDMI, and that they do NOT upgrade people. That I shouldn't read anything someone posts on a forum.

Now, I will say this, for some reason people think I am stupid, people think that they can lie to me all the time and get away with it. I have no idea what it is about me, even when I tell them they are lying and I know it, they still stick with it.

If anyone has names, contacts as a way for me to get a board swap done on my 65EG9600 please let me know.

Thanks

Mark
post #4843 of 5758 Old 09-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
True Motion on for DVR ... Set to 3 for De-Judder, 9 for De-blur.

True Motion off for my Oppo BD player.
interesting, i checked for updates and it didnt find any on my UB 65"

LG 65EG9600-UB 602
LG 55C6P 702
post #4844 of 5758 Old 09-26-2016, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
interesting, i checked for updates and it didnt find any on my UB 65"
I downloaded it and loaded it into my 65" via USB.
post #4845 of 5758 Old 09-27-2016, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the 04.25.40 update notification 9/26/16 in the afternoon.
post #4846 of 5758 Old 09-27-2016, 06:30 AM

I don't think anyone was actually able to get a board swapped. I went down that road and it seemed like the VIP team didn't really know about the differences between UA and UB. End of the day they told me it would require much more than a board swap. Unfortunately I think the UA owners are stuck
bytor99999 likes this.
post #4847 of 5758 Old 09-27-2016, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoizme View Post
I got the 04.25.40 update notification 9/26/16 in the afternoon.
Updated mine as well yesterday, UB model. Still have no idea what was the heck the update does but I'm sure it's wonderful...
post #4848 of 5758 Old 09-27-2016, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What was odd was how it was installed. The last update I could have swore all I had to do was turn off the set with the remote and turn the set back on and it installed. This last update it wouldn't install that way. I had to hold down the power button on the set till it shut down. When I turned it back on it started installing.
post #4849 of 5758 Old 09-28-2016, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I downloaded it and loaded it into my 65" via USB.
its now popping up when i start up my tv, but im gonna hold off for a bit and see what the feedback is here

LG 65EG9600-UB 602
LG 55C6P 702
post #4850 of 5758 Old 09-28-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just tried to buy the 65EG9600 for in-store pickup but was told it was the display model BUT! I get another 10% so that good I guess.

What I'm worried about is burn-in and I know oled are only supposed to have image retention that goes away but it seems if you are really bad with static images(such as a floor model at a store) that it will be bad and won't go away.

I'm still going to go to see it and how bad but just wanted some opinions. Also afraid I won't be able to test it out fully in the store but they did say it still falls under their 30-day return policy so IDK!

I guess the above is more of a general 2015 any oled panel question so for this specific TV, does the "About" section in the menu show the lifetime on hours or is there a way to bring that up easily on this model?

tl;dr
1.) Will burn-in ("IR") go away with an abused oled (such as store demo/floor model)
2.) How do you view the on hours on this TV?

P.S. sorry if I start a burn-in debate as I'm sure they are annoying but when we are talking an oled used as a demo/floor/store/display model VS at home use I think it is a valid argument.
post #4851 of 5758 Old 09-28-2016, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centran View Post
I just tried to buy the 65EG9600 for in-store pickup but was told it was the display model BUT! I get another 10% so that good I guess.

What I'm worried about is burn-in and I know oled are only supposed to have image retention that goes away but it seems if you are really bad with static images(such as a floor model at a store) that it will be bad and won't go away.

I'm still going to go to see it and how bad but just wanted some opinions. Also afraid I won't be able to test it out fully in the store but they did say it still falls under their 30-day return policy so IDK!

I guess the above is more of a general 2015 any oled panel question so for this specific TV, does the "About" section in the menu show the lifetime on hours or is there a way to bring that up easily on this model?

tl;dr
1.) Will burn-in ("IR") go away with an abused oled (such as store demo/floor model)
2.) How do you view the on hours on this TV?

P.S. sorry if I start a burn-in debate as I'm sure they are annoying but when we are talking an oled used as a demo/floor/store/display model VS at home use I think it is a valid argument.
I would have checked hours on in setting>general>about>model # click it

LG 65EG9600-UB 602
LG 55C6P 702
post #4852 of 5758 Old 09-28-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I would have checked hours on in setting>general>about>model # click it
I haven't gone to get it yet but that was one of my questions. Thank you. I wanted to know where the hours are with this TV because sometimes they hide it deep in the menu or you have to put it in maintenance mode to view.
post #4853 of 5758 Old 09-29-2016, 02:49 PM

The screen at the store looked like it had a very light LG OLED logo only with white. When I displayed the test picture I could not see it. It has 9k hours on it. I've read for store models you double that time due to brightness and assuming the 30k life it is over half it's life expectancy. However, it still looked bright to me(not sure how bright these are supposed to be)

When I got it home and ran some RGB test pictures it was clear it had very bad burn-in(I'm calling it burn-in cause I think it's permanent). The red and green and splotches all around the middle of the screen. The blue wasn't as splotchy but you could see that faint LG OLEG text that is clearer when all white. The splotchy and text is noticeable occasional with some content

I'm currently trying to see if it is only IR and getting rid of it(or at least make it less noticeable). I am going to run a "burn-in" fixer which just flashes and wipes all the colors across the screen. I know it only degrades it more but I'm just doing it to keep the pixels charged for ~1 hour and then I will turn it off for another hour. I'll run it a bit before bed and leave it turned off(but plugged in) over night. If its still there after a couple days then I'll unplug it for a day. I'm not getting my hopes up and will consider returning it if I can't reduce the burn-in.

I also have a logitech remote and learned there is a service menu you can pull up with a special remote. There is supposed to be an extreme voltage drift compensation mode in the service menu that runs much longer then the one the occasionally runs for 5min after turning off the screen. Is it a good idea to explore that option?

TL;DR
1.) Will running a flashing RGB pattern for 1 hour then power off the TV help reduce image retention (burn-in)?
2.) Is it possible to access the service menu and initiate a longer voltage drift compensation routine?

p.s. can you not edit on these forums?
post #4854 of 5758 Old 09-29-2016, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The screen at the store looked like it had a very light LG OLED logo only with white. When I displayed the test picture I could not see it. It has 9k hours on it. I've read for store models you double that time due to brightness and assuming the 30k life it is over half it's life expectancy. However, it still looked bright to me(not sure how bright these are supposed to be)

When I got it home and ran some RGB test pictures it was clear it had very bad burn-in(I'm calling it burn-in cause I think it's permanent). The red and green and splotches all around the middle of the screen. The blue wasn't as splotchy but you could see that faint LG OLEG text that is clearer when all white. The splotchy and text is noticeable occasional with some content

I'm currently trying to see if it is only IR and getting rid of it(or at least make it less noticeable). I am going to run a "burn-in" fixer which just flashes and wipes all the colors across the screen. I know it only degrades it more but I'm just doing it to keep the pixels charged for ~1 hour and then I will turn it off for another hour. I'll run it a bit before bed and leave it turned off(but plugged in) over night. If its still there after a couple days then I'll unplug it for a day. I'm not getting my hopes up and will consider returning it if I can't reduce the burn-in.

I also have a logitech remote and learned there is a service menu you can pull up with a special remote. There is supposed to be an extreme voltage drift compensation mode in the service menu that runs much longer then the one the occasionally runs for 5min after turning off the screen. Is it a good idea to explore that option?

TL;DR
1.) Will running a flashing RGB pattern for 1 hour then power off the TV help reduce image retention (burn-in)?
2.) Is it possible to access the service menu and initiate a longer voltage drift compensation routine?

I would never buy a tv with 9000 hours, especially running nearly 24/7

but thats just me,

thats like buying a 1 year old car with 100k miles on it,

LG 65EG9600-UB 602
LG 55C6P 702
post #4855 of 5758 Old 09-30-2016, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I would never buy a tv with 9000 hours, especially running nearly 24/7

but thats just me,

thats like buying a 1 year old car with 100k miles on it,
Think I have to agree.. Not just the screen, but all the components are being stressed in that way.. I don't know what price it wound up being, but that is a LOT of time put on a panel without regard for anything being done right or wrong. Don't know your finances, but it may be worth waiting to either find a different new one on sale (UB model) or save up for a C6 or catch one of them on sale at Best Buy with extended financing, etc.. Wouldn't even bother trying to wipe out the burned in image.. Don't think I saw it mentioned, but is it even a UB model? Could be on the floor from the very beginning and a UA model on top.. (on the back with the serial #).
post #4856 of 5758 Old 09-30-2016, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

TL;DR

Is it a UB model? If not return it. I would return it either way. I picked my UB model from Dell for $2500 + Tax - $250 gift card and $100 in cash back. In the end it is like 2300. Wait till next May/June and get a great deal on current model!
post #4857 of 5758 Old 09-30-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayS99 View Post
I don't know what price it wound up being, but that is a LOT of time put on a panel without regard for anything being done right or wrong. Don't know your finances, but it may be worth waiting to either find a different new one on sale (UB model) or save up for a C6[/URL]
$1750
I'll probably return it and wait for something to go on sale... maybe black friday but I doubt it cause the trend has been to discount the cheapo's to super cheap. I might just go back to LCD and get a semi-nice one to wait a year or two for OLED to mature even more then it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitman View Post
Is it a UB model? If not return it. I would return it either way.
I have to double check that when I get home. Is there an issue with UA or is it just the HDR through HDMI thing?
post #4858 of 5758 Old 09-30-2016, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
$1750
I'll probably return it and wait for something to go on sale... maybe black friday but I doubt it cause the trend has been to discount the cheapo's to super cheap. I might just go back to LCD and get a semi-nice one to wait a year or two for OLED to mature even more then it has.

I have to double check that when I get home. Is there an issue with UA or is it just the HDR through HDMI thing?
UB is more future proof with HDR via HDMI and likely a better board . I woudln't spend $1750 on a TV that can't do HDR.
post #4859 of 5758 Old 10-01-2016, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
USB Hard Drive connected to record tv ????

I've read where LG owners of other sets have had a USB hard drive connected to record tv. I've tried everything and can't get my Lg 55ec9300 to do it. Has anyone been able to record tv to an external hard drive through any of the 3 USB ports on the 9300 or the 65 inch lg oled's.

PS. I have 7300 hours on my set and it still looks like day 1. Beautiful !!
post #4860 of 5758 Old 10-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

check out what arrived a few days early from fox connect, each $18 too after a coupon code

missed xmen in theaters, and seen the martian a few times, but excited to have it on hand as a reference quality release
buju22 likes this.

LG 65EG9600-UB 602
LG 55C6P 702
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
55EG9600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page