Official Owners Thread 2015 LG 55EG9600 / 65EG9600 4k - Page 191 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9302Likes

post #5701 of 5758 Old 01-31-2018, 04:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsut View Post
If you have service remocon and start TV with P-ONLY mode, you have to end with IN-STOP. If no, regular power on with tv remote ends with p-only (no settings manager) and TV does not respond to TV's remote because no user modules are loaded.
IN-STOP ends P-ONLY mode and it put TV to state like new from shop. It is not full factory reset.
Here was my experience, I was able to exit P-Only mode with the power button on the service remote. I was able to get into WebOS, but I'd need to re-enable it every time I restarted the TV until I finally reset my WebOS to initial settings via the WebOS menu.

On a different board, from the P-only screen, I exited and hit "IN-STOP" per the on-screen directions in an attempt to enter "user mode," but all I got was a black screen from when I was never able to recover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 5758 Old 01-31-2018, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6574 Post(s)
Liked: 6574
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
What I'm doing is nagging a couple of the content providers (Vudu and FandangoNow) to update their apps to provide support. I just remind them that the sets are capable, and they probably just need to flip a couple of flags to get executables intended for later models installed on our sets.
Never hurts to ask thats for sure.....
post #5703 of 5758 Old 02-01-2018, 06:24 AM

UA-to-UB Upgrade complete and successful! The mainboard was the issue with my previous attempt. Apparently a $20 "untested" mainboard ebay purchase was a good gamble--it works like a charm. Certainly better than the $120 "fully tested and functional" mainboard that didn't work.

That service remote is definitely necessary, because the TV does not work perfect immediately after the swap--but all is fine after a "P-only" cycle, which is just a couple button clicks on the service remote. This i something I did not possess on my first failed attempt, and I'm very glad I figured it out by my next attempt. Honestly, I think it's possible that Mike Colbourne's earlier attempt at swapping his mainboard might have been successful had he done this.

Only other issue at this point is my LG magic remote doesn't pair with it, but my Logitech Harmony works fine with it so I don't really care.

Very happy to finally have HDR over HDMI!
Latinoheat, Vancelot and npsacobra like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5704 of 5758 Old 02-01-2018, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
High five and grats!
And LG said it couldn't be done. They could have made some of their customers very happy if they would have done the swap outs.
If I hadn't bought an extended warranty, I would try this myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar51 View Post
UA-to-UB Upgrade complete and successful! The mainboard was the issue with my previous attempt. Apparently a $20 "untested" mainboard ebay purchase was a good gamble--it works like a charm. Certainly better than the $120 "fully tested and functional" mainboard that didn't work.

That service remote is definitely necessary, because the TV does not work perfect immediately after the swap--but all is fine after a "P-only" cycle, which is just a couple button clicks on the service remote. This i something I did not possess on my first failed attempt, and I'm very glad I figured it out by my next attempt. Honestly, I think it's possible that Mike Colbourne's earlier attempt at swapping his mainboard might have been successful had he done this.

Only other issue at this point is my LG magic remote doesn't pair with it, but my Logitech Harmony works fine with it so I don't really care.

kevlar51 likes this.
post #5705 of 5758 Old 02-04-2018, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Were those part numbers you posted for the 55 or 65? And do you know what the equivalents are for the other size? I can't decide if I'd be willing to try this on my own, or find a shop, but I want to at least gather up the necessary components.

Last edited by curtw; 02-04-2018 at 05:47 PM.
post #5706 of 5758 Old 02-05-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Were those part numbers you posted for the 55 or 65? And do you know what the equivalents are for the other size? I can't decide if I'd be willing to try this on my own, or find a shop, but I want to at least gather up the necessary components.

Disclaimer: NONE OF THIS IS GUARANTEED--MODIFY AT YOUR OWN RISK

I listed 65" part numbers:
T-Con board (board number 6870C-0578B, module 6871L-4203C (board and shield))
Mainboard (p/n EBT64099105)

55" equivalents:
T-Con board (board number 6870C-0585A, module 6871L-4255A (board and shield))
Mainboard (p/n EBT64080803)

The T-CON boards listed are also used for some UA models as well (The 65eg9600-UA.AUSZLJR model has the UB T-CON, the -UA.AUSYLJR and -UA.BUSYLJR models do not). So if you have a -UA.AUSZLJR model (found on your TV's s/n sticker), then you should only need a mainboard. I have no clue what 55" UA models include a UB compatible T-CON, but the visual difference (once you open the bag of the TV) is the cabling.

The UA T-CON (or at least for models not compatible with UB mainboards) has cable connectors on the wrong sides. So cabling from the power supply on the left stretches across the board to connect on the T-Con's right. Cabling from the mainboard on the right stretches across to connect on the T-Con's left. The UB compatible T-CON boads have power supply connectors on the left and mainboard connectors on the right. So they'll also have shorter cabling. If you're moving from a UA T-CON you'll need to bundle the excess cabling or buy new cables. I'm not sure what the p/n is for the 55" black LVDS ribbon cable.

I'm not sure if you've taken the back off your TV or not, but for the 65" at least, you can't access the boards until you've taken off the stand, which means you'll need to either lay it down or flip it upside down. And since it's curved and fragile, you don't want to lay it down without support or else the screen could crack. I would lay it down on a couch cushion, supported in the middle of the screen, with the sides hanging over the edge. But the mod itself is pretty plug and play--there's no soldering involved, just unscrewing boards unhooking cables and plugging them back in where they fit . Be mindful of static discharge though--don't want to ruin any boards.

Service remote (remocon): Look on Amazon for an MKJ39170828 replacement. There's a knockoff for $12.99 prime. You'll need this or something like it. After the board swap, when you turn it back on there's a good chance you'll just get a slowly blinking LG standby logo on the TV with no picture. On the service remote, hit "P-only" and it will enter power only mode. Then hit "Exit" then "power" and it will turn off and reboot. The menus will look different because webos isn't fully initialized. If you hit Menu on the service remote or home on your magic remote, then it should initialize webos. I recommend going through the webos settings to return to default settings--this will reconfigure everything so that your tv boots back into WebOS like normal. After that, update your TV firmware through webos. You'll probably need to re-pair your magic remote as well after this--hold down the back button and the home button pointed at your TV for 10 seconds or so.

Last edited by kevlar51; 02-05-2018 at 12:13 PM.
post #5707 of 5758 Old 02-06-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Disclaimer: NONE OF THIS IS GUARANTEED--MODIFY AT YOUR OWN RISK

I listed 65" part numbers:
T-Con board (board number 6870C-0578B, module 6871L-4203C (board and shield))
Mainboard (p/n EBT64099105)

55" equivalents:
T-Con board (board number 6870C-0585A, module 6871L-4255A (board and shield))
Mainboard (p/n EBT64080803)

The T-CON boards listed are also used for some UA models as well (The 65eg9600-UA.AUSZLJR model has the UB T-CON, the -UA.AUSYLJR and -UA.BUSYLJR models do not). So if you have a -UA.AUSZLJR model (found on your TV's s/n sticker), then you should only need a mainboard. I have no clue what 55" UA models include a UB compatible T-CON, but the visual difference (once you open the bag of the TV) is the cabling.

The UA T-CON (or at least for models not compatible with UB mainboards) has cable connectors on the wrong sides. So cabling from the power supply on the left stretches across the board to connect on the T-Con's right. Cabling from the mainboard on the right stretches across to connect on the T-Con's left. The UB compatible T-CON boads have power supply connectors on the left and mainboard connectors on the right. So they'll also have shorter cabling. If you're moving from a UA T-CON you'll need to bundle the excess cabling or buy new cables. I'm not sure what the p/n is for the 55" black LVDS ribbon cable.

I'm not sure if you've taken the back off your TV or not, but for the 65" at least, you can't access the boards until you've taken off the stand, which means you'll need to either lay it down or flip it upside down. And since it's curved and fragile, you don't want to lay it down without support or else the screen could crack. I would lay it down on a couch cushion, supported in the middle of the screen, with the sides hanging over the edge. But the mod itself is pretty plug and play--there's no soldering involved, just unscrewing boards unhooking cables and plugging them back in where they fit . Be mindful of static discharge though--don't want to ruin any boards.

Service remote (remocon): Look on Amazon for an MKJ39170828 replacement. There's a knockoff for $12.99 prime. You'll need this or something like it. After the board swap, when you turn it back on there's a good chance you'll just get a slowly blinking LG standby logo on the TV with no picture. On the service remote, hit "P-only" and it will enter power only mode. Then hit "Exit" then "power" and it will turn off and reboot. The menus will look different because webos isn't fully initialized. If you hit Menu on the service remote or home on your magic remote, then it should initialize webos. I recommend going through the webos settings to return to default settings--this will reconfigure everything so that your tv boots back into WebOS like normal. After that, update your TV firmware through webos. You'll probably need to re-pair your magic remote as well after this--hold down the back button and the home button pointed at your TV for 10 seconds or so.
Cool, thanks! I don't see any of the 55" stuff available currently on eBay, but I'll keep my eyes open. there's also an LG authorized service center just a few miles away (same place I got my VCR's cleaned and aligned I the 90's!), and if they can do this job for under $300 or so, I'll probably just go there.
kevlar51 likes this.
post #5708 of 5758 Old 02-06-2018, 09:55 AM

I should have also asked--I assume that one of these boards has the memory area where the onboard apps are stored, so I should log out out of all my paid services before removing my existing boards?
post #5709 of 5758 Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I should have also asked--I assume that one of these boards has the memory area where the onboard apps are stored, so I should log out out of all my paid services before removing my existing boards?
Yes, good point. This info is stored on the mainboard.
post #5710 of 5758 Old 02-08-2018, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great job with the switch!

Would be sweet if someone could throw in main board off a even newer OLED while using our panel. Huge pipe dream there
post #5711 of 5758 Old 02-08-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxol View Post
Great job with the switch!

Would be sweet if someone could throw in main board off a even newer OLED while using our panel. Huge pipe dream there
LOL! You're telling me I spent all this effort turning my TV into a 65EG9600-UB when all the while I could have been turning it into an OLED65C6P?!

But alas, more recent models have different (i.e. better) panels.
post #5712 of 5758 Old 02-09-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
But alas, more recent models have different (i.e. better) panels.
Is there a combination with display-on glass AND 3D? MaybeI should just buy one of those.
post #5713 of 5758 Old 02-10-2018, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with video playback crash

Hi everyone. I am running into a problem with my 65eg9600.
Initially when it turns on everything is fine. As soon as I start a video from an app or from a USB the entire tv stops responding with anything else after that video or app is exited. For example if I load a movie in Amazon then go back to tv it no longer shows the tv. If I try to start a video in a usb drive it will indicate it is playing but not video or sound.

This happens everytime I use the built it streaming and video playback apps.

To summarize: LG TV stops playing video and sound after exiting playing or streaming a video in another app.
post #5714 of 5758 Old 02-19-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Details of hardware mod deleted
I want to repeat that I really appreciate everything you've done to help us.

That being said, I've abandoned my thoughts about converting my EG. After neither of the boards appeared on eBay, I dropped by a local shop to see what they would cost at retail. There, on display, was a 2016 model OLED65C6P that they hadn't been able to unload. It was missing the stand, remote, glasses and video adapter dongles, but they offered it to me at $999. Sold!

If there's anybody living in the Houston area who's in the market for a well-cared-for 55EG9600, I can offer you a pretty good deal.
post #5715 of 5758 Old 02-19-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
I want to repeat that I really appreciate everything you've done to help us.

That being said, I've abandoned my thoughts about converting my EG. After neither of the boards appeared on eBay, I dropped by a local shop to see what they would cost at retail. There, on display, was a 2016 model OLED65C6P that they hadn't been able to unload. It was missing the stand, remote, glasses and video adapter dongles, but they offered it to me at $999. Sold!

If there's anybody living in the Houston area who's in the market for a well-cared-for 55EG9600, I can offer you a pretty good deal.
Nice deal! And a good size bump from your 55" as well!
post #5716 of 5758 Old 02-19-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Nice deal! And a good size bump from your 55" as well!
Yeah, it makes me feel like Mel Gibson, too ("The last of the 3-D's!")
post #5717 of 5758 Old 03-22-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
What sound bar mount do I have to get to mount a klipsch RB-20 to the top? I bought an MI-SB39 many months ago I can not return and it doesn't look like it's long enough to reach the top. So I need to find a mount that will work with the 65eg9600.

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
post #5718 of 5758 Old 04-16-2018, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
LG Magic Remote Voice Issue

Greetings,

Im having an issue with my Magic Remote for my 65EG9600-UB.

I cannot open apps, search youtube etc with it. No matter what I say when activating the voice control it just opens browser and pastes it into bing.

If I say netflix, it opens brower and searches netflix on bing, if i say open netflix, it searches open netflix on bing, if i say search <topic> on youtube... well you get the picture.

I watched LG 2015 voice recognition guide and i should be able to say things like "netflix" and have it open the app, or "search harry potter on youtube" and it will bring up video suggestions via youtube app instead of just opening the web browser and pasting into bing.

I would really appreciate some advice/help sorting this. Thanks!

LG 65EG9600-UB
Onkyo HT-R695
Sony UBP-X800, Samsung UBD-K8500

Blu-ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=10385
post #5719 of 5758 Old 04-19-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkodaZek View Post
Greetings,

Im having an issue with my Magic Remote for my 65EG9600-UB.

I cannot open apps, search youtube etc with it. No matter what I say when activating the voice control it just opens browser and pastes it into bing.

If I say netflix, it opens brower and searches netflix on bing, if i say open netflix, it searches open netflix on bing, if i say search <topic> on youtube... well you get the picture.

I watched LG 2015 voice recognition guide and i should be able to say things like "netflix" and have it open the app, or "search harry potter on youtube" and it will bring up video suggestions via youtube app instead of just opening the web browser and pasting into bing.

I would really appreciate some advice/help sorting this. Thanks!
Are you running the latest update? Works fine on my set. I have version 04.05.25

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #5720 of 5758 Old 04-24-2018, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Stuck Pixel on LG Oled EG9600!

I have about a 3-4 year old OLED 65EG9600 and this morning this extremely bright blue pixel got stuck on the screen and won't disappear. It's very noticeable. I've read a few posts on the internet stating that some of the newer OLEDs have have some type of pixel refresh option that can sometimes fix this. Unfortunately my tv doesn't have this option in the menu.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. The sad thing is that even though this TV is 3-4 years old, it's hardly been used until recently. Probably has about 100 hours of use on it.
post #5721 of 5758 Old 04-24-2018, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Try running it for some time and power off. Multiple times, for a few days , see if it does anything than do a power reset on the tv after. Do you have a pic?

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #5722 of 5758 Old 04-24-2018, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked: 3718
Most likely, you'll have to wait until it burns itself out. In my experience and that of others, this defect is not addressable by anything the end user does.
post #5723 of 5758 Old 04-25-2018, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Try running it for some time and power off. Multiple times, for a few days , see if it does anything than do a power reset on the tv after. Do you have a pic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Most likely, you'll have to wait until it burns itself out. In my experience and that of others, this defect is not addressable by anything the end user does.
I tried jscreenfix.com but can't keep it going for very long. I went to their site via the tvs web browser but for some reason the tv goes into some type of standby mode after about 2 minutes. The website doing the work disappears and the screen turns black until I hit a button on the remote to bring up the site again. I don't have any type of standby mode set on my tv so I'm not sure why it's doing that. I want to keep their program running for at least a few hours but I can't sit there playing with the remote for hours to keep the site up.

Last night I also tried some youtube videos that rapidly flash the screen colors for about an hour or so. That didn't work. What's even worse is that when I turn off the tv, the bright blue pixel stays lit on the screen. The only way to make it go away is if I completely kill the power to the tv by turning off the power strip. In a dark room that pixel lights up the area like the north star!
post #5724 of 5758 Old 05-30-2018, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I was quite surprised that I saw an update available for my eg9600-ub. Looking at the release notes though, not much there (unless you use the Peel app of course).

Improvement  
 1) Fix that volume is changed to be zero  by Peel Remote App during watching 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #5725 of 5758 Old 06-03-2018, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeters11 View Post
I was quite surprised that I saw an update available for my eg9600-ub. Looking at the release notes though, not much there (unless you use the Peel app of course).

Improvement  
 1) Fix that volume is changed to be zero  by Peel Remote App during watching 

Me too haha

I don’t think ill be updating

LG 65EG9600-UB 602
LG 55C6P 702
post #5726 of 5758 Old 06-03-2018, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
Me too haha

I don’t think ill be updating
Yeah, what's changed thats not in the notes.

post #5727 of 5758 Old 06-04-2018, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Hi all,

Re my 65 eg9600, i received an NSU - software update the other day. The update is 04.05.60. Can anyone tell me what this update contains / modifies? I noticed a change in my picture immediately. Loss of vibrancy and brightness. I have loved the picture of my TV in Expert 1. I am suspicious LG is applying algorythms that may adversely affect the quality of my picture. Which leads me to my next question. If I do a full factory reset using the home button then four 0s, will the latest software update be cancelled and the TV revert back to the original operating software settings?

Cheers
post #5728 of 5758 Old 06-05-2018, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by OShag View Post
Hi all,

Re my 65 eg9600, i received an NSU - software update the other day. The update is 04.05.60. Can anyone tell me what this update contains / modifies? I noticed a change in my picture immediately. Loss of vibrancy and brightness. I have loved the picture of my TV in Expert 1. I am suspicious LG is applying algorythms that may adversely affect the quality of my picture. Which leads me to my next question. If I do a full factory reset using the home button then four 0s, will the latest software update be cancelled and the TV revert back to the original operating software settings?

Cheers

yikes I'm really glad I didn't update

has anyone else experienced this?

LG 65EG9600-UB 602
LG 55C6P 702
post #5729 of 5758 Old 06-05-2018, 02:31 PM

I need to mention that I noticed some slight blurring / judder with panning shots/ movement with the NSU 04.05.60 update too... concerning indeed. I called LG customer support and the young lady had me looking for remote service, which my tv does not have. Remote service allows a tech to access your TV remotely. I have to call back and solve this. My 65EG9600 has about 2100 hours on it.

Thanks for any guidance...
post #5730 of 5758 Old 06-12-2018, 10:19 AM

Update: I did place a call in to LG technical support. They were very helpul. The good news is the brilliance, brightness and color saturation/vibrancy is back

Last edited by OShag; 06-12-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
55EG9600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page