Official Owners Thread 2015 LG 55EG9600 / 65EG9600 4k - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9302Likes

post #31 of 5758 Old 03-19-2015, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
What happened to the 55EF9600 version, aka the flat one. Is it another case of the US is only getting curved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 5758 Old 03-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
What happened to the 55EF9600 version, aka the flat one. Is it another case of the US is only getting curved.
It will be released in August 2015.
post #33 of 5758 Old 03-19-2015, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
Don't think those are coming out until August. That's what VE says anyway, and they have been spot on regarding the release times so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 5758 Old 03-19-2015, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Well then, I spoke too soon. Really need a new TV, but I'm going to try to hold out for the flat model. The $500 reduction in price is quite nice for a feature I really could care less about.
post #35 of 5758 Old 03-19-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post

MacBook Pro's support channel bonding (up to 3 streams I believe).

TVs, AVRs, BluRay players, etc. only support single streams and can only do 150Mbps no matter what your router says on the box.

Do you have an iPhone 5 (or earlier)? Go tell me how fast that is on your network . iPhone's are single stream devices.

Or if you have an iPhone 6, go tell me how fast that is when compared to your AC MacBook .

Most devices do NOT support channel bonding since it requires multiple antennas.

You just happened to pick the one device that supports channel bonding to make a meaningless example.

By the way... what are you talking about on your other point too?

Most of the big ISP have announced plans to deliver GigaBit internet to the home in 2015 / 2016. There are at LEAST a dozen areas in the country where you can get GigaBit internet to the home for < $100.

HINT: Wireless AC doesn't have the capability to go at GigaBit speeds.
Man you obsess about stuff...

With N it's 72 mbit with a 20 Mhtz channel and 150mbit with 40 mhtz channel. Then you can have multiple radios/antenna/bonding going all the way up to 4 for 600mbit. Worst case even if it is a single antenna and 20 mhtz channel it's plenty fast as it will be around 30mbit usable. More realistically it'll link at least at 150mbit leaving you with 75 usable. Assuming you have a decent base station and rf conditions.

Same with the ethernet if it's only 100mbit... Doubt it is.

They are both plenty fast for anything you need to do...

AC wifi is pretty worthless for your TV unless you have line of sight to your router/ap. Not to mention you'll never need the bandwidth AC provides...

Last edited by SiGGy; 03-19-2015 at 08:48 PM.
post #36 of 5758 Old 03-19-2015, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
as it will be around 30mbit usable.

Which is what I said you get using N devices . The other guy was arguing that you can get oodles more.

Quote:
They are both plenty fast for anything you need to do...

How do you know what my bandwidth needs are?

But, yeah, I guess there are plenty of folks who don't mind paying $xx/mo for yy and only getting a fraction of what they paid for cuz they are too lazy to fix it, don't know how to fix it, etc.

Thanks though, I pay for 65Mbps service, so I expect to get it on ALL my devices. If you're paying for 65Mbps service and you only get 30Mbps on most of your devices and that's "fast enough for you", that's YOUR deal... not mine .

Quote:
AC wifi is pretty worthless for your TV unless you have line of sight to your router/ap. Not to mention you'll never need the bandwidth AC provides...

Please stop spreading so much misinformation, sir .

A) AC has MUCH better range / obstacle penetration then N. I can get my full 65Mbps out to the middle of the street which is completely on the opposite side of the house where my router is located and throughout my entire house. AC most certainly does NOT require LOS. N can't even get its lousy ~30Mbps a few rooms away.

B) As you yourself just explained, most N devices (we're not talking about channel bonding laptops) are going to top out at ~30Mbps. I most certainly need more then that since my ISP speed is ~65Mbps.

C) As I explained to the other guy, plenty of ISPs are going to be offering Gigabit in 2015/2016. Google already does in at least a dozen places. My ISP (Cox) already does in my city (but not my neighborhood yet).

D) AC wouldn't be fast enough to handle Gigabit speeds for the same reason that N can't. AC to a single stream device is 450Mbps, so you'll only get about 200Mbps - 250Mbps. Which is why, OMG , they are already working to the successor to AC to handle Gigabit speeds.
post #37 of 5758 Old 03-19-2015, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6589 Post(s)
Liked: 6587
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sphere View Post
Spot on regarding the release times so far.
No one has been spot on release dates, as only the manufacturer knows for sure. Case and point, 65EC9700. Release was slated for Sept 2014, they showed up at one dealer in October, 2 other dealers in December. Seems like 100 units where sold nationwide, maybe. The owners thread has few owners. If the 65EG9600 come out here in two weeks or so, the 65EC9700 was more or less skipped.
post #38 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Which is what I said you get using N devices . The other guy was arguing that you can get oodles more.

How do you know what my bandwidth needs are?

But, yeah, I guess there are plenty of folks who don't mind paying $xx/mo for yy and only getting a fraction of what they paid for cuz they are too lazy to fix it, don't know how to fix it, etc.

Thanks though, I pay for 65Mbps service, so I expect to get it on ALL my devices. If you're paying for 65Mbps service and you only get 30Mbps on most of your devices and that's "fast enough for you", that's YOUR deal... not mine .

Please stop spreading so much misinformation, sir .

A) AC has MUCH better range / obstacle penetration then N. I can get my full 65Mbps out to the middle of the street which is completely on the opposite side of the house where my router is located and throughout my entire house. AC most certainly does NOT require LOS. N can't even get its lousy ~30Mbps a few rooms away.

B) As you yourself just explained, most N devices (we're not talking about channel bonding laptops) are going to top out at ~30Mbps. I most certainly need more then that since my ISP speed is ~65Mbps.

C) As I explained to the other guy, plenty of ISPs are going to be offering Gigabit in 2015/2016. Google already does in at least a dozen places. My ISP (Cox) already does in my city (but not my neighborhood yet).

D) AC wouldn't be fast enough to handle Gigabit speeds for the same reason that N can't. AC to a single stream device is 450Mbps, so you'll only get about 200Mbps - 250Mbps. Which is why, OMG , they are already working to the successor to AC to handle Gigabit speeds.

I hit a nerve with you, good

YOU don't know what your TV bandwidth needs are... Lol you do not need AC on a tv...period. Sure be nice to have it but not required.

There is misinformation here...but it's not me.

Again you are wrong and out in left field and obsessing about things. If I have Google fiber and get 1000mbit I do not need 1000mbit links to every device in my house... Rofl. My ip cams work perfectly fine on less than 2mbit each with 720p video and audio!.

The super high speeds of AC require line of sight and for you to be within 10 to 25 feet of the base station. As well AC USES ONLY 5ghz. 5ghz has terrible penetration. It doesn't go through walls well at all.

And of course so you can argue...you ignored that you can set 40 Mhtz channels with N. Which is 150mbit or really 75mbit useable per antenna. Hell my old samsung galaxy s3 links at 150mbit with its single antenna.

Most of the AC advantage in terms of signal (not speed) is from "beam forming" (which doesn't actually beam a signal to you; any review that says it does means the reviewer doesn't understand the technology) it's part of the AC spec. Good N routers also do this with the N as well. Learn how to set up your stuff. And buy better basestation like u68/86 or a 7000/7500. I can easily get 30 to 60mbit (actual) on far side of my house through at least 6 walls using N. 5 ghtz AC in my house is in the mud at the far points. My radios all switch to 2.4 at that point.

Yes with good RF AC is far better. No question; no argument there. But N is more than adequate for internet TV streaming and for most things today. Netflix UHD is 15mbit.

Of course they keep working on technology. Theoretical max speed of AC is almost 7gbit. But these high AC speeds even today require multiple base stations to achieve them.
albsky likes this.

Last edited by SiGGy; 03-20-2015 at 06:06 AM.
post #39 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 43
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

So the tech allows for up to 600 Mbps.
Why would some assume that LG will do only 30 Mbps? Because it is LG?

Come on SledgeHammer, you have to discover worse flaws that this to put people off buying this TV.
post #40 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albsky View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

So the tech allows for up to 600 Mbps.
Why would some assume that LG will do only 30 Mbps? Because it is LG?

Come on SledgeHammer, you have to discover worse flaws that this to put people off buying this TV.
Yes, that's precisely it. He sits and obsesses about stuff (4:4:4 and 18Gbit) and keeps picking at the topics whenever he can. When some of them are really just irrelevant. Don't get me wrong. It's great he brought this stuff up (once) but most people would sit and wait for someone to test this stuff THEN bring the topic back up once there is more data; but he continues to rehash things whenever he can.

With N to hit 600 mbit you need 4 antennas (radios). In my experience most N devices now days have at least 2. So you are looking at 300Mbit (150Mbit usable) with 40mhtz channels or 150bit total with 20mhtz channels (75mbit usable). PLENTY fast enough for internet streaming.

Last edited by SiGGy; 03-20-2015 at 06:01 AM.
post #41 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, that's precisely it. He sits and obsesses about stuff (4:4:4 and 18Gbit) and keeps picking at the topics whenever he can. When some of them are really just irrelevant. Don't get me wrong. It's great he brought this stuff up (once) but most people would sit and wait for someone to test this stuff THEN bring the topic back up once there is more data; but he continues to rehash things whenever he can.

With N to hit 600 mbit you need 4 antennas (radios). In my experience most N devices now days have at least 2. So you are looking at 300Mbit (150Mbit usable) with 40mhtz channels or 150bit total with 20mhtz channels (75mbit usable). PLENTY fast enough for internet streaming.
Sounds like you're the one obsessing. *YOU* quoted a week old post . And now you are trying to drum up yet another argument . But at least you finally admitted that you are bored and trolling.
post #42 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like you're the one obsessing. *YOU* quoted a week old post . And now you are trying to drum up yet another argument . But at least you finally admitted that you are bored and trolling.
I really hit a nerve didn't I. Interesting seeing you trying to turn it around on me. I guess it hadn't dawned on you I didn't see this thread or your post until yesterday; I hadn't realized a week is such a long time! lol If I was trolling you I'm not very good at it; or perhaps I'm way behind! So where else have you posted recently?

Anyway; why don't we wait for some reviews which check some of the technical discussions you bring up? If I was as passionate about this TV as you are I might even send a PM to Chad or Cleveland (or e-mail the David's) and ask them if they can perform some of these tests if they have the time/equipment. Seems like a better use of time vs rehashing this stuff and the continued wondering. But that's no fun right?

Last edited by SiGGy; 03-20-2015 at 07:29 AM.
post #43 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really hit a nerve didn't I. Interesting seeing you trying to turn it around on me. I guess it hadn't dawned on you I didn't see this thread or your post until yesterday; I hadn't realized a week is such a long time! lol If I was trolling you I'm not very good at it; or perhaps I'm way behind! So where else have you posted recently?

Anyway; why don't we wait for some reviews which check some of the technical discussions you bring up? If I was as passionate about this TV as you are I might even send a PM to Chad or Cleveland (or e-mail the David's) and ask them if they can perform some of these tests if they have the time/equipment. Seems like a better use of time vs rehashing this stuff and the continued wondering. But that's no fun right?
You're right. You're not. Yeah, a week old post is ancient history.

As for hitting a nerve, you're going to have to try a lot harder then that. Just because I reply to your posts doesn't mean you "hit a nerve". I'm actually LOLing about this as I kill time at work.

And wanting to know the actual specs of something I'm paying $5K+ for is obsessing? Interesting... buying something I'm not going to be able to use in a year is obsessing?

You should troll in some threads from 6+ months ago where people said HDCP 2.2 is useless and you'll never need it, so go buy that $5K 4K TV that doesn't have it . Those folks now have a useless TV.
post #44 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
You should troll in some threads from 6+ months ago where people said HDCP 2.2 is useless and you'll never need it, so go buy that $5K 4K TV that doesn't have it . Those folks now have a useless TV.
A useless TV just for not having HDCP 2.2?
Just out of curiosity: what are they missing?
I wouldn't miss anything as I use my TV in combination with satellite receiver or streaming.
post #45 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
I wouldn't miss anything as I use my TV in combination with satellite receiver or streaming.
When DirecTV issues HDCP 2.2 compliant boxes for 4K content, it'll be useless for that purpose.
post #46 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I thought some people ordered the 55EG9600 last week? It would be great if one of them (or Chris or Robert) could comment on some very testable things: (1) does it have wireless AC support (2) is the ethernet port 100 mbps or 1 gbps, (3) are all HDMI ports HDCP 2.2 compliant and (4) is one or more HDMI port full 18Gbps HDMI 2.0?
Tomcup likes this.
post #47 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're right. You're not. Yeah, a week old post is ancient history.

As for hitting a nerve, you're going to have to try a lot harder then that. Just because I reply to your posts doesn't mean you "hit a nerve". I'm actually LOLing about this as I kill time at work.

And wanting to know the actual specs of something I'm paying $5K+ for is obsessing? Interesting... buying something I'm not going to be able to use in a year is obsessing?

Knowing the quoted specs and re-hashing topics as you do for which there is no known answer for yet is different. You just keep going over things over and over and playing doom and gloom on every one. As an example multiple people told you 4:4:4 won't be used for anything but PC monitor usage but you still made it "soo important" to have. You refused to listen to any of them to make the conclusion that 4:2:0 is what UHD BR will actually use and 4:4:4 usage really doesn't apply to the masses.

You might want to go see what trolling actually means. You keep using the term hoping to remove the target from yourself however it won't erase your past interactions on here for anyone who has read your posts.

Ping the people who professionally review the sets to check some of this stuff. Or ask someone who owns one to test. THEN make your case and move on.

Early adoption always has this risk and the requirements for UHD BR just came out. Everyone whom owns a 4K (UHD) receiver is in the same boat; very few support 2.2.

Sheesh you are still at it... NO, those TVs without 2.2 are NOT useless. They will be limited to online UHD viewing and UHD from their video providers STB; while not the best scenario it's not the end of the world Only BR has made 2.2 a requirement. Your cable/IPTV providers have not; so using HDMI 1.4 you can still send UHD to the TV via HDMI for movies (30fps). I haven't even seen a UHD STB yet; so the jury is probably still out on that one too.

Last edited by SiGGy; 03-20-2015 at 08:27 AM.
post #48 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
When DirecTV issues HDCP 2.2 compliant boxes for 4K content, it'll be useless for that purpose.
Please, read again what I quoted: "Those folks now have a useless TV"
When and now are different notions.
We will see when it will happen, but AFAIK HDCP 2.2 will be used to protect 4K blu ray content(when?).
post #49 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Sheesh!, I thought this thread was going to be about the new TV, not a whole bunch of "he-said, she-said"...

Al
post #50 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It'll be useless for 4K over HDMI. UltraHD BluRay, 4K satellite boxes, etc.
post #51 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Knowing the quoted specs and re-hashing topics as you do for which there is no known answer for yet is different. You just keep going over things over and over and playing doom and gloom on every one. As an example multiple people told you 4:4:4 won't be used for anything but PC monitor usage but you still made it "soo important" to have. You refused to listen to any of them to make the conclusion that 4:2:0 is what UHD BR will actually use and 4:4:4 usage really doesn't apply to the masses.

You might want to go see what trolling actually means. You keep using the term hoping to remove the target from yourself however it won't erase your past interactions on here for anyone who has read your posts.

Ping the people who professionally review the sets to check some of this stuff. Or ask someone who owns one to test. THEN make your case and move on.

Early adoption always has this risk and the requirements for UHD BR just came out. Everyone whom owns a 4K (UHD) receiver is int he same boat; very few support 2.2.

Oh lord. You must be REALLY bored in Kansas today.

Thanks. I don't have a crystal ball and neither do you. Neither of us knows what the future holds for 4:4:4. I'll tell you what... how about I buy this TV for $5K and I'll email you, fax you, telegraph, smoke signal, whatever you the receipt along with a copy of your guarantee that only a PC will ever do 4:4:4 and if it turns out that UltraHD BluRay gets enhanced to do 4:4:4, you'll pay me back the $5K?

I mean, you sound so positive that I'll never need 4:4:4...

And for now what is probably the 11,000th time, YOU (and a few others) keep harping on 4:4:4 as the only use for 18Gbps. Read up. There are other features that require it.

So yes, I want 18Gbps / HDCP 2.2 on a TV.

And yeah, I have pinged the professionals about the specs for the TV.
post #52 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sheesh you are still at it... NO, those TVs without 2.2 are NOT useless. They will be limited to online UHD viewing and UHD from their video providers STB; while not the best scenario it's not the end of the world Only BR has made 2.2 a requirement. Your cable/IPTV providers have not; so using HDMI 1.4 you can still send UHD to the TV via HDMI for movies (30fps). I haven't even seen a UHD STB yet; so the jury is probably still out on that one too.
Oh lord.

So I went out and bought a $5K 4K TV and I can't use it to play 4K UHD BluRay? That's your fatherly advice?? LOL.

Your crystal ball is on fire today. You already know that the Joey 4K and the Genie 4K are not going to require HDCP 2.2? Umm... most likely they will as HDCP 2.2 is not a "UltraHD Bluray" concept, but rather a 4K concept.

Last edited by SledgeHammer; 03-20-2015 at 08:40 AM.
post #53 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please, read again what I quoted: "Those folks now have a useless TV"
When and now are different notions.
We will see when it will happen, but AFAIK HDCP 2.2 will be used to protect 4K blu ray content(when?).
Joey 4K box is due out in the summer (no specs announced yet).

UltraHD BluRay is hitting the shelves in Nov/Dec.

So, yeah, I guess if you talk about today vs. Nov/Dec, your 4K TV is still useful.
post #54 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh lord.

So I went out and bought a $5K 4K TV and I can't use it to play 4K UHD BluRay? That's your fatherly advice?? LOL.

You're crystal ball is on fire today. You already know that the Joey 4K and the Genie 4K are not going to require HDCP 2.2? Umm... most likely they will as HDCP 2.2 is not a "UltraHD Bluray" concept, but rather a 4K concept.
Reading comprehension...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy
I haven't even seen a UHD STB yet; so the jury is probably still out on that one too
post #55 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Reading comprehension...
But you just gave me fatherly advice that my $5K 4K TV that doesn't do HDCP 2.2 (before you quote this out of context, yes, I know these TVs do HDCP 2.2) is "good enough" and that being limited to streaming from within the TV is "good enough".

You seem to be having a "good enough" complex today.

30Mbps wireless N is "good enough"

Not being able to use a 4K TV to play UltraHD bluRay is "good enough"

4:2:0 is "good enough"

720p is "good enough"

You do realize there is a world outside your little bubble where people have different requirements then yours, right?
post #56 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh lord. You must be REALLY bored in Kansas today.

Thanks. I don't have a crystal ball and neither do you. Neither of us knows what the future holds for 4:4:4. I'll tell you what... how about I buy this TV for $5K and I'll email you, fax you, telegraph, smoke signal, whatever you the receipt along with a copy of your guarantee that only a PC will ever do 4:4:4 and if it turns out that UltraHD BluRay gets enhanced to do 4:4:4, you'll pay me back the $5K?

I mean, you sound so positive that I'll never need 4:4:4...

And for now what is probably the 11,000th time, YOU (and a few others) keep harping on 4:4:4 as the only use for 18Gbps. Read up. There are other features that require it.

So yes, I want 18Gbps / HDCP 2.2 on a TV.

And yeah, I have pinged the professionals about the specs for the TV.
The future no. However speaking for now and anytime soon 4:4:4 takes up too much data. So no crystal ball is needed. There is no media to deliver UHD 4:4:4 at this time (doesn't exist). However those with 1080p sets could (in theory) down convert BluRay UHD back close to 4:4:4; so there is one possible option to possibly see 4:4:4 just not in UHD. However like has been said; there isn't a big difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:0

The math isn't terrible to figure out 4:4:4 for UHD
3840*2160=8,294,400 (pixels)
8,294,400 * 30 bits per pixel = 248,832,000 (bits per frame)
248,832,000 * 24 FPS = 5,971,968,000 bps (thats almost 6Gbit per second!)

And I am speaking for the data stored on the disc; not what goes over HDMI! Imagine the disc capacity needed to store a movie. And as well how fast the media needs to be able to read.

no, I don't connect 4:4:4 to 18Gbit with you directly. Just the two features themselves.

Good, I hope you get some answers.
sickkent likes this.
post #57 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But you just gave me fatherly advice that my $5K 4K TV that doesn't do HDCP 2.2 (before you quote this out of context, yes, I know these TVs do HDCP 2.2) is "good enough" and that being limited to streaming from within the TV is "good enough".

You seem to be having a "good enough" complex today.

30Mbps wireless N is "good enough"
No, I said 30Mbit for streaming video to a TV is good enough. But you ignored multiple parts of the discussion. Like Netflix UHD is 15Mbit and that N can do 40mhtz channels vs the 20Mhtz you keep on discussing as though there is nothing better.

Quote:
Not being able to use a 4K TV to play UltraHD bluRay is "good enough"
No, I said it's not the end of the world. Especially for those whom steam only (which is most now days)

Quote:
4:2:0 is "good enough"
It is... The BluRay council also decided this. wake up.

Quote:
720p is "good enough"
WTF over? where did this come from. Do you mean for my IPcam's. Yes 1280x720p is plenty for peeking in on house.

Quote:
You do realize there is a world outside your little bubble where people have different requirements then yours, right?
You do realize you obsess about things that aren't as important as you think and are a bit delusional on the need for 4:4:4 video right?

There is a lot more to life than white paper specs and meeting all of them. IMO planning your life around stuff you may only use 5% of the time is not good planning. Plan for what you will use 95% of the time.

Anyway; it's time to go plow the fields here in Kansas before the next tornado comes It's been real.
sickkent likes this.
post #58 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The math isn't terrible to figure out 4:4:4 for UHD
3840*2160=8,294,400 (pixels)
8,294,400 * 30 bits per pixel = 248,832,000 (bits per frame)
248,832,000 * 24 FPS = 5,971,968,000 bps (thats almost 6Gbit per second!)

And I am speaking for the data stored on the disc; not what goes over HDMI! Imagine the disc capacity needed to store a movie. And as well how fast the media needs to be able to read.

Wonderful.

You know how to use the Calc application in Windows (on your wireless N laptop I assume ). You do know that's not how video is stored on the disc right? They have this fancy thing now called compression.

Yes, 4:4:4 would be quite large raw. MPEG4 a little less larger. H.265, quite a bit smaller.

FYI, there is already a BluRay player or two that "upconverts" to 4K @ 60Fps @ 4:4:4... yes, I know that's up conversion and not native, but the fact that manufacturers are already playing with 4:4:4 gives me a lot more confidence then your crystal ball that I'll need the 18Gbps version of HDMI.

And speaking of reading comprehension, as I said in my previous reply, OTHER folks chose to harp repeatedly on the 4:4:4 aspect. I mentioned it a few times as ONE of the features of 18Gbps.
post #59 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wonderful.

You know how to use the Calc application in Windows (on your wireless N laptop I assume ). You do know that's not how video is stored on the disc right? They have this fancy thing now called compression.

Yes, 4:4:4 would be quite large raw. MPEG4 a little less larger. H.265, quite a bit smaller.

FYI, there is already a BluRay player or two that "upconverts" to 4K @ 60Fps @ 4:4:4... yes, I know that's up conversion and not native, but the fact that manufacturers are already playing with 4:4:4 gives me a lot more confidence then your crystal ball that I'll need the 18Gbps version of HDMI.

And speaking of reading comprehension, as I said in my previous reply, OTHER folks chose to harp repeatedly on the 4:4:4 aspect. I mentioned it a few times as ONE of the features of 18Gbps.

I was only discussing the chroma channel; not the entire video payload.

4:2:0 is compression; it's on the chroma channel

4:4:4 is no compression on the chroma channel

Going from just 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 is over 30% savings on disk. 4:4:4 to 4:2:0 is over 50%

And this is all before applying your video codec... Compressing video is complicated and it's an art as well. When done right there is not a big difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:0. This is why they went with it. I'll agree to a point that it's archaic like why we still use the gamma based on CRT(s).

In regards to up converting the chroma channel. You can not makeup data that no longer exists. BR players have existed for awhile that do conversions to 4:4:4 every one I own does it.

Last edited by SiGGy; 03-20-2015 at 09:52 AM.
post #60 of 5758 Old 03-20-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, I said 30Mbit for streaming video to a TV is good enough. But you ignored multiple parts of the discussion. Like Netflix UHD is 15Mbit and that N can do 40mhtz channels vs the 20Mhtz you keep on discussing as though there is nothing better.

No, I said it's not the end of the world. Especially for those whom steam only (which is most now days)

It is... The BluRay council also decided this. wake up.

WTF over? where did this come from. Do you mean for my IPcam's. Yes 1280x720p is plenty for peeking in on house.

You do realize you obsess about things that aren't as important as you think and are a bit delusional on the need for 4:4:4 video right?

There is a lot more to life than white paper specs and meeting all of them. IMO planning your life around stuff you may only use 5% of the time is not good planning. Plan for what you will use 95% of the time.

Anyway; it's time to go plow the fields here in Kansas before the next tornado comes It's been real.
Wow. That Kansas bubble must be super tiny .

A) I don't stream "only", I get my video from various sources

B) Not everybody lives in rural Kansas where the nearest neighbor is a mile or two away... here in "the big city" we are tightly packed and the airwaves are heavily poluted. I see 14 Wireless N networks active as I type this. Thus you can imagine that my wireless N speeds drop precipitously from even the next room. Hey, weird... my TV happens to be a room away from my router. Weird that in my TV room N devices can NOT even pull 15Mbps (they tend to get < 5Mbps due to the pollution and interference -- even the 5Mhz ones). AC devices can pull 65Mbps standing in the same spot.

C) I never said there was nothing better then single channel N. I said a TV isn't going to support channel bonding.

D) You must be dropping packets on your uber configured N network. You keep talking about 4:4:4. I'm talking about what is refered to in the industry as "Level A" HDMI 2.0. I get it. "Level B" HDMI 2.0 is "good enough" for you

E) Oh... so the BluRay standard is the same exact thing it was when first announced? There have never been any updates? enhancements? If that were the case, we wouldn't even be talking about N vs. AC or HDMI 2.0 vs. HDMI 1.0, we'd all be using G and RCA cables. Standards evolve my friend.

F) I'm still not sure how you understand my bandwidth needs.. I could have a need for multiple 4K streams, I could be a gamer who is FPS obsessed, hell, I can even be renting out my spare rooms to broke college girls who run live HD webcam sex shows to pay the bills. Or..... I could just run a business out of my house that deals with "big data"... or all the above .

Yes, it has been real . Good luck with the tornado. Watch out for flying houses and girls on bicycles.

Like I said, if you want to take me up on my offer, I'd be happy to provide you a similiar offer .
sickkent likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
55EG9600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page