Official Owners Thread 2015 LG 55EG9600 / 65EG9600 4k - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9302Likes

post #91 of 5760 Old 03-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
Yup. According to Wikipedia, 1.4 only supports 4K @ 30Fps regardless of color.

So, if all ports support 4K @ 60Hz, but only 1 & 2 support deep color, this kind of makes me nervous regarding the HDCP 2.2 support. If its only on the lower speed port 3 (HDMI 2.0 "level b"), that's going to be a disappointment at this price point.

Obviously PQ trumps all though .
LG has already confirmed with myself that all HDMI ports are HDCP 2.2 compliant. So in the words of Bob Marley...." Don't worry..about a thing...cause every little thing is gonna be alright" ....except for maybe 4:4:4/HDCP 2.2/ 18gps...but come on let's not split hairs here lol.

Last edited by dabrit; 03-20-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5760 Old 03-20-2015, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
Is it only things below 30 FPS that have judder? So, for example, if you watched football from a cable/satellite box, would you see judder?
I see it a little bit on broadcast television at 30 FPS, but it is totally acceptable there. It is only out of hand on 24fps content, which is where most movies sit at unfortunately. I have to engage artificial motion smoothing to be able to watch something like Breaking Bad over Netflix at 4K, but the good news is that LG has some fine-tuned control over its motion smoothing. 1 De-Judder and 1 De-Blur is only minimally invasive, you can still tell that motion is unnatural but it is not nearly as bad as the goofy soap opera effect you see on 120 Hz LCDs

After tweaking a lot of image settings, I have eliminated most image processing artifacts and it is now blatantly obvious that the dithering I was originally annoyed by is a problem in Netflix video itself. You can see the atrocious quality of Breaking Bad at 4K in the linked picture:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...ink_copy_flash

It reminds me of the old full motion video on early game systems like Sega CD. The resolution may be 4K, but color dithering makes it unpleasant to watch.
post #93 of 5760 Old 03-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Btw. did you try any gaming yet?
And most importantly I'd like to know what the TV looks like when displaying a full white screen. Do you see any pink or green tints? That's a pretty big issue on last year's 55EC930.
vaktmestern and Tomcup like this.

LG C7D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 5760 Old 03-20-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldaien View Post

Is the rear window supposed to have a blue tint to it? Or is that some phone / picture artifact or some translucent UI thing from the TV?

There also seems to be a blue halo in the lower left around the back button.

Yeah, that doesn't look too great. Do you know if that's native 4K? I'd have to assume BB was shot in HD.

If you had a 4K media player to test the HDCP 2.2 (wink wink nudge nudge), the native 4K nature documentaries would really show us what this set can do.
post #95 of 5760 Old 03-20-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post
And most importantly I'd like to know what the TV looks like when displaying a full white screen. Do you see any pink or green tints? That's a pretty big issue on last year's 55EC930.
Ditto. Would love to see some full screen solid color shots from your laptop or whatever (black, gray, white).

Have you tried the LG Fantasia demo? Granted its 1080P and I saw it on a 1080P OLED, but that demo alone blew me away.
post #96 of 5760 Old 03-20-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:

I tried a few minutes of gaming, but I am nervous to put any static image on the screen for more than a few minutes until I hit 100+ hours. Image retention is slightly less of a problem than on plasma, but I've already encountered it a little bit just poking around in the picture setting menus.

There is no pixel orbiter option or white scrolling bar on this TV, which is mind boggling for something that is prone to image retention and burn-in . One thought that occurred to me is that since the pixels are White, Red, Green, Blue, a white scrolling bar probably would not activate the RGB sub-pixels. We need a scrolling rainbow to fight image retention

As for color uniformity, white is solid when viewed from roughly the center of the screen. If I move far to the left or right, however, there is an almost imperceptible shift toward blue on one side and green on the other. I think that is inherent to any curved screen though?
Yappadappadu and Tomcup like this.
post #97 of 5760 Old 03-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
I tried a few minutes of gaming, but I am nervous to put any static image on the screen for more than a few minutes until I hit 100+ hours. Image retention is slightly less of a problem than on plasma, but I've already encountered it a little bit just poking around in the picture setting menus.

There is no pixel orbiter option or white scrolling bar on this TV, which is mind boggling for something that is prone to image retention and burn-in . One thought that occurred to me is that since the pixels are White, Red, Green, Blue, a white scrolling bar probably would not activate the RGB sub-pixels. We need a scrolling rainbow to fight image retention

As for color uniformity, white is solid when viewed from roughly the center of the screen. If I move far to the left or right, however, there is an almost imperceptible shift toward blue on one side and green on the other. I think that is inherent to any curved screen though?
How about Gray uniformity? Also have you noticed the left or right sides being darker than the center of the tv? I'm hoping LG solved these issues in this 2015 OLED.
post #98 of 5760 Old 03-20-2015, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Did you run a chroma test yet? Just because a TV accepts input of 4:4:4 chroma does not mean it can actually display it.

Note that most GPUs don't have HDMI 2.0, so you may have to output at 30hz unless you have a DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 active adapter.

To test, I recommend opening the following chroma test pattern in MSpaint:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...99#post1640299
oni222 likes this.
post #99 of 5760 Old 03-20-2015, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Robert at VE has confirmed that all three HDMI ports are HDCP 2.2 compliant. So here's what we know:

Gigabit Ethernet
HDMI 2.0 in all ports
HDCP 2.2 in all ports
ARC only on port 2

Here's what we don't know:

Wireless N or AC
Whether HDMI is full 18Gps or only 10
Whether HDR firmware update is coming

We are finally getting answers folks. Thanks to Robert and Kaldaien!
mattg3, oni222 and Tomcup like this.
post #100 of 5760 Old 03-20-2015, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
Robert at VE has confirmed that all three HDMI ports are HDCP 2.2 compliant. So here's what we know:

Gigabit Ethernet
HDMI 2.0 in all ports
HDCP 2.2 in all ports
ARC only on port 2

Here's what we don't know:

Wireless N or AC
Whether HDMI is full 18Gps or only 10
Whether HDR firmware update is coming

We are finally getting answers folks. Thanks to Robert and Kaldaien!
The manuals for both the 55" and the 65" say they use the 41 wireless module. The 51 is the AC module.

If, in fact, HDCP 2.2 is on all ports, then we are good. Kaldaien has indicated that deep color @ 60Fps is supported on HDMI 1 & 2 only though.

Doesn't make sense to me though... if HDCP 2.2 is on all ports and 2 of the ports support 4K @ 60Fps @ 4:4:4, why cheap out on the 3rd port and make it level B?? I recently saw a new AVR up on Crutchfield. $2000+ from a boutique company. HDMI 1.4 on the rear ports, but only HDMI 1.3 on the front port... WTF? And why would you do HDMI 1.x on a $2000 AVR in 2015 anyways?
post #101 of 5760 Old 03-21-2015, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Have you seen any sort of pink or green colour tints on the screen, as has been described with the 9300?

It's good news if this has been resolved in the 2015 sets.

Thanks, Kaladaien.

Desk
post #102 of 5760 Old 03-21-2015, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pixel size/SDE

Hello guys,

I have the European version of the EC9300, but even from 3 meters away I can see the pixels (screen door effect) which is very apparent in the webOs interface.

Does this 4K model fix this issue?

Other than this issue, the tv is awesome, but I would be tempted to swap for a 4K model if it really solves it.

Cheers
post #103 of 5760 Old 03-21-2015, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieterdde View Post
Hello guys,

I have the European version of the EC9300, but even from 3 meters away I can see the pixels (screen door effect) which is very apparent in the webOs interface.

Does this 4K model fix this issue?

Other than this issue, the tv is awesome, but I would be tempted to swap for a 4K model if it really solves it.

Cheers
According to him, this issue should be fixed on this model:

I was able to confirm that the DECA processor is strictly for webOS features and does not effect any other function.

LG showed me a final mass production 55EG9600 and as you could easily guess it looks awesome. The 2015 4K OLED's come preloaded with stunning video content exploiting the extreme blacks and ultra high contrast that only OLED can deliver.

Motion was very fluid and smooth and colors were accurate and beautifully saturated. The extra resolution was a nice advantage when viewing very close. It looks like a high dynamic range photograph with a continuous tonal range and no viewable pixel grid even at less than one foot from the screen.

Regardless of what anyone says early April is an optimistic launch with limited supply, but LG promises better availability over the summer. I'm in for a decent allotment from the very first allocations.

I have many ore technical specs coming as the execs I was with today could not answer all of my questions, but they were referred to engineering for answers. So stand by for more info.

2015 is the year of OLED and everyone is in for a real treat!

-Robert

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=238605&page=6
enator, Dieterdde, oni222 and 1 others like this.
post #104 of 5760 Old 03-21-2015, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman8989 View Post
According to him, this issue should be fixed on this model:
It looks like a high dynamic range photograph with a continuous tonal range and no viewable pixel grid even at less than one foot from the screen.
Awesome, thanks for confirming!

Cheers
post #105 of 5760 Old 03-21-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting read for the crystal ball folks regarding UltraHD BluRay and what it can do (or will soon be able to do)...

http://hdguru.com/ultra-hd-blu-ray-i...-2/#more-15448
Tomcup likes this.
post #106 of 5760 Old 03-21-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Nothing really new there.
SiGGy likes this.
post #107 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Robert Zohn over at that blu-ray forum asking how to check for 18 Gbps bandwidth with his new GTX 980 card. Anyone who could help out so that we have confirmation?

LG C7D
post #108 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Robert Zohn over at that blu-ray forum asking how to check for 18 Gbps bandwidth with his new GTX 980 card. Anyone who could help out so that we have confirmation?
I would think testing the max the specs can do would be about it.

UHD, 10bit color, 4:4:4, 60hz, hdcp 2.2

I'm not sure how you force hdcp 2.2 on though. As it's not required for hdmi 2.0 for PC use. Hdcp 2.2 adds a lot of overhead where I think 18gb is required. Without hdcp 2.2 and no multi channel audio old hdmi 1.4 probably has enough bandwidth to allow this to work. Although it's not supported in 1.4, so perhaps getting just UHD, 4:4:4 @ 60hz is enough to confirm.

Maybe there is a way to pull the hdmi link rate and hdcp info from nvidia video card driver using an app. Or maybe some app already exists like gpu-z for nvidia to check hdmi.

Last edited by SiGGy; 03-22-2015 at 07:48 AM.
post #109 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
Quote:
Yeah, that doesn't look too great. Do you know if that's native 4K? I'd have to assume BB was shot in HD.
It was shot on film.
post #110 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post
Have you seen any sort of pink or green colour tints on the screen, as has been described with the 9300?

It's good news if this has been resolved in the 2015 sets.

Thanks, Kaladaien.

Desk
Nothing visible to the naked eye. I still have not hit 100 hours yet and have not bothered with a proper calibration.

Even so, I'm noticing the left and right extremes of the screen do not seem to be aging at the same rate as the center. At mid APL levels the sides are pure black and the center is a cloudy grey, very much the same sort of affect you'd get if you ran 4:3 content on a plasma for 12 hours and suddenly displayed a fullscreen white image. At high and low APL, everything is uniform though, it's quite bizarre.
post #111 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Could you post a photo?

LG C7D
post #112 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nothing visible to the naked eye. I still have not hit 100 hours yet and have not bothered with a proper calibration.

Even so, I'm noticing the left and right extremes of the screen do not seem to be aging at the same rate as the center. At mid APL levels the sides are pure black and the center is a cloudy grey, very much the same sort of affect you'd get if you ran 4:3 content on a plasma for 12 hours and suddenly displayed a fullscreen white image. At high and low APL, everything is uniform though, it's quite bizarre.
It seems every OLED tv have this "left and right sides darker than the center" issue. I have a flat EA8800 OLED and it came with this issue.

It is not aging, it came from the factory that way. btw I sent you a PM the other day.
post #113 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Could you post a photo?
Excuse the poor quality cell phone picture, but you can still clearly see the vertical banding in this picture. That signal has uniform brightness, but the panel absolutely hates it and breaks the picture up into bands with varying luminance, with the bands on the side always being much darker than the middle. If I increase or lower the brightness the problem goes away, it's just mid-range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	banding.jpg
Views:	2357
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	619025  
Wizziwig, ONDr, ChaosCloud and 1 others like this.
post #114 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
It seems every OLED tv have this "left and right sides darker than the center" issue. I have a flat EA8800 OLED and it came with this issue.

It is not aging, it came from the factory that way.
When this panel came from the factory, there were no bands on the screen with different luminance. Everything was the same level. But now with 75 hours on it, it's all over the place. It's getting a little bit better with time, but the left/right edges are taking the longest to fade from black to grey.
post #115 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When this panel came from the factory, there were no bands on the screen with different luminance. Everything was the same level. But now with 75 hours on it, it's all over the place.
I had very noticeable banding in my new tv, the next day of using it the bands became almost transparent. Well I guess every tv will develop these sides being darker than the center at some point of usage. In my experience these darker bands are permanent.

Last edited by Morning5; 03-22-2015 at 04:18 PM.
post #116 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
I had very noticeable banding in my new tv, the next day of using it the bands became almost transparent. Well I guess every tv will develop these sides being darker than the center at some point of usage. In my experience these darker bands are permanent.
My plasmas don't have this sort of problem unless I display something 4:3 with black sidebars for several hours (huge no no on any emissive display technology). I've been running solid colors on the panel to age it for the majority of the 75 hours logged on this panel, so it's a little weird that aging / image retention is developing in a non-uniform pattern.
post #117 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My plasmas don't have this sort of problem unless I display something 4:3 with black sidebars for several hours (huge no no on any emissive display technology). I've been running solid colors on the panel to age it for the majority of the 75 hours logged on this panel, so it's a little weird that aging / image retention is developing in a non-uniform pattern.
Gamma issue? Perhaps more organic material gets deposited at the edges of the panel vsthe center of it? I would discard IR and burn in. Every LG OLED tv I have seen have this darker sides issue.

Well who knows, it might dissipate in your tv.
post #118 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Quote:
Excuse the poor quality cell phone picture, but you can still clearly see the vertical banding in this picture. That signal has uniform brightness, but the panel absolutely hates it and breaks the picture up into bands with varying luminance, with the bands on the side always being much darker than the middle. If I increase or lower the brightness the problem goes away, it's just mid-range.
Thanks for posting that picture. It helped me decide that I won't be buying a 2015 OLED or bother waiting for the flat ones.
Given that this banding defect has persisted for 3 generations of LG OLED, it doesn't look like they are going to solve it anytime soon (if ever). I know others may not care coming from LCD but this banding causes severe DSE that is very distracting in scenes that display large areas of uniform dark-gray colors like indoor walls, fog, dark skies, etc. It's a deal-breaker for me.

Regarding your issues with motion. I think you're probably just seeing the effect of the instant response time of OLED. On both LCD and Plasma, the frames tend to blend into each other to some extent because of the poor response (LCD) and phosphor-lag (plasma). This makes motion appear smoother. While OLED has sample-and-hold like LCD, it doesn't have any inter-frame ghosting to smooth out transitions on low fps content. If my theory is correct, then not everyone will be bothered by this type of motion issue - it's judder that's inherent to low FPS content.
oni222 and soapbox like this.
post #119 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
At mid APL levels the sides are pure black and the center is a cloudy grey,
Oh man, when will LG finally fix this problem?
StinDaWg, Morning5, oni222 and 2 others like this.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #120 of 5760 Old 03-22-2015, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
no "upgrade" for me then
soapbox likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
55EG9600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page