Official Owners Thread 2015 LG 55EG9600 / 65EG9600 4k - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9302Likes

post #2581 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare3219 View Post
Edit: Wow, I was thinking about just getting the compensation, but that does look like a big difference. I can still see a little darkness on the edges, but that is probably only visible to the camera! I need to find some test shots to see if I can get the issue to populate in real content.
Forgive me for asking... but if you're not having the dark edge issue... why are you seeking a new panel or refund?
rlindo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DookSD View Post
I just looked at your pictures, yes, exactly, if you see on the new panel, the black and white connectors are on the left, and the ribbon cable connectors are on the right. On your old panel, with the black back, the black and white connectors are on the right and the ribbon cable connectors are on the left.

It was puzzling at first and the techs wanted to swap TConn boards, I refused, luckily the problem is the cables are too long instead of too short so we made it happen.

LG needs to ship out new proper length ribbon and connector cables to make this work cleaner.

I didn't get a chance to snap a picture but the TConn board internals are quite different, the new one only has one large CPU looking chip while the old one had two.

The only thing left in the lurch is that I didn't luck into HDMI2.0a, yet the jury is decidedly still out on 1) if it will be possible over HDMI on EG9600s, and 2) how much of a benefit it would provide on a TV like this that can display infinite contrast.

So, am I understanding properly that the new panel I received should have worked with the new T-Con board if the tech would have noticed that the connectors were on the opposite sides?

I need to go puke if that is the case and I am frustrated with myself that I did not try harder to intervene into the techs job.
Turrican4D likes this.

(Theater)Speakers: Martin Logan Expression 13A, Stage X, Dual Depth I Subs, Vanquish in ceiling (surrounds) | Processor: Marantz 8805 | Amp: Three Moon Simaudio 400m monoblocks,One Moon Simaudio 330a, PS Audio Directstream | Sources: DirecTV HR17, Mac Mini, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Panny UB820| Television: Samsung 75Q9FN | Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite
(Loft) Anthem MRX 520, LG 77G6P, Oppo UDP-203, Martin Logan Montis, Harmony Elite.
post #2583 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post
So, am I understanding properly that the new panel I received should have worked with the new T-Con board if the tech would have noticed that the connectors were on the opposite sides?

I need to go puke if that is the case and I am frustrated with myself that I did not try harder to intervene into the techs job.
Thats what it sounds like. No posts from Wjboshart in awhile. Hopefully he checks in before letting the tech leave without trying what Dooksd's tech did.
You should make the tech come back.
Turrican4D likes this.

Benq HT3550/LG OLED65B6P /Panny UB820 4k Bluray/Apple TV 4k
Nvidia Shield/HDFury AVRkey/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post

I hate to say that I do believe so. But you can take this info back to VIP care and you might even get MORE compensation for it and get a new panel ordered, not sure why they would reverse the connectors mid-product cycle, it should be brought up to them that the new Panels/TConn should include the new shorter cables. Or if you're on the fence about HDMI2.0a you can get the refund when you're ready and get the EF9500.
post #2585 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Did more testing with the dark edge issue. I use a monitor test program that runs in flash with many different tests. I'm not sure what you all are using - feel free to refer me to where to get those test images or whatever!

The test I used allowed me to set the color of the screen using RGB 0-255 for each color level. Assuming 10% would be a setting of 25 for each color, the dark edges are practically unnoticeable to the human eye. My camera pronounced them a bit more. At a 5% level (12 setting), it became a little more noticeable, but nothing like what you guys are seeing. To get to obvious dark edge levels, I had to drop to about 2%, or a setting of 5. And what I really noticed was that the issue only became noticeable when white/gray was being produced (meaning all color levels the same). If I set red to 10, green to 12, and blue to 14... a very slight offset, the issue practically disappeared. And this was at OLED light levels as low as 10. I watch at 60+ typically, which makes the issue even less pronounced.

For me, I haven't seen the dark edges in normal viewing. Most of my viewing is from 2.5 feet away as I am using the 55" model as a monitor for browsing and gaming. A few times I have been in bed and watched movies from 7 feet away, and still never noticed anything. My usage likely would make the issue harder to notice since the screen occupies a large portion of my vision. And maybe it is less of an issue on the 55" model.

I called LG and so far have only gotten an offer to send a repair tech, with no word of a new panel. It sounds like the woman trying to help me has no info on this problem. Do I need to find a supervisor or something?

Edit: Wow, I was thinking about just getting the compensation, but that does look like a big difference. I can still see a little darkness on the edges, but that is probably only visible to the camera! I need to find some test shots to see if I can get the issue to populate in real content.
Hi, most of us are using the .mp4 files from here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

There is a subfolder with Fields to show grayscale and others, they are .mp4, so they are videos with no sound. I have mine loaded on a thumb drive and use the TV's USB port and Smart Share to view them.

That being said, the 55" have not had the same issues as the 65" in terms of the dark edges. My optimal is black level high, I have my settings around here somewhere which I use for essentially everything, BluRay, DirecTV, PS4, XboxOne, Netflix, etc. The only issue is that some streaming services, such as Netflix and Amazon are auto set to Black Level low, but that only requires an adjustment of Brightness. I'm set at Gamma 2.2.
post #2586 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I hate to say that I do believe so. But you can take this info back to VIP care and you might even get MORE compensation for it and get a new panel ordered, not sure why they would reverse the connectors mid-product cycle, it should be brought up to them that the new Panels/TConn should include the new shorter cables. Or if you're on the fence about HDMI2.0a you can get the refund when you're ready and get the EF9500.
Sigh, but you are correct about the EF9500. My situation may work out for the best, as long as I am not without a TV for an extended period of time.
sundiego and DookSD like this.

(Theater)Speakers: Martin Logan Expression 13A, Stage X, Dual Depth I Subs, Vanquish in ceiling (surrounds) | Processor: Marantz 8805 | Amp: Three Moon Simaudio 400m monoblocks,One Moon Simaudio 330a, PS Audio Directstream | Sources: DirecTV HR17, Mac Mini, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Panny UB820| Television: Samsung 75Q9FN | Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite
(Loft) Anthem MRX 520, LG 77G6P, Oppo UDP-203, Martin Logan Montis, Harmony Elite.
post #2587 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Wjboshart, where are you? Don't let the tech run away.

P.S.: Ken Ross should have been a little more patience, before he got himself the Sony instead.
KMFDMvsEnya and BDCarp04 like this.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #2588 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Well we tried connecting opposing sides but our white connector pin wasn't fitting. Their parts person told my tech it was the wrong panel, we needed a 7901 not an 8001. Regardless, I called up the vip rep that I had been working with and told him of the issue that things weren't meshing how they should be, and so they are sending me a brand new replacement. I'll be getting that call tomorrow morning
Turrican4D and DookSD like this.
post #2589 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
Well we tried connecting opposing sides but our white connector pin wasn't fitting. Their parts person told my tech it was the wrong panel, we needed a 7901 not an 8001. Regardless, I called up the vip rep that I had been working with and told him of the issue that things weren't meshing how they should be, and so they are sending me a brand new replacement. I'll be getting that call tomorrow morning

So then I assume this is more inline with my situation.

post #2590 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 05:01 PM

It just gets weirder and weirder doesn't it.
post #2591 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Wjboshart, where are you? Don't let the tech run away.

P.S.: Ken Ross should have been a little more patience, before he got himself the Sony instead.
Not at all. I couldn't be happier with the 75" 940c. Besides, I felt that 65" was just too small to properly enjoy 4K content. I truly have zero regrets. We also received an update to HDMI 2.0a.

I hope the fix works for all the guys that push for it.
DookSD likes this.
post #2592 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
LCD...
post #2593 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
Any tips for fixing 3D on this set? I've heard you need to be at the same height of the TV but never thought it'd be this sensitive. My eye when reclined in my sofa are about 10% from the bottom of the TV, but I still get major cross talk unless I stand up about a foot. I would say 3D is usuable when sitting on the sofa, it's that bad.

Are there settings that improve or cause this? Not sure what type a stand people would be using to have the TV be that low.
Tyrindor, any luck on resolving your 3D crosstalk issue?
post #2594 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 06:14 PM

Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBagadonuts View Post
Forgive me for asking... but if you're not having the dark edge issue... why are you seeking a new panel or refund?
Quote:
Hi, most of us are using the .mp4 files from here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

There is a subfolder with Fields to show grayscale and others, they are .mp4, so they are videos with no sound. I have mine loaded on a thumb drive and use the TV's USB port and Smart Share to view them.

That being said, the 55" have not had the same issues as the 65" in terms of the dark edges. My optimal is black level high, I have my settings around here somewhere which I use for essentially everything, BluRay, DirecTV, PS4, XboxOne, Netflix, etc. The only issue is that some streaming services, such as Netflix and Amazon are auto set to Black Level low, but that only requires an adjustment of Brightness. I'm set at Gamma 2.2.

I may have been wrong. After finding that scene of Skyfall, I think I began to notice the issue pretty badly! It is definitely more noticeable once you're actually using it as a TV and not a monitor, which I will be doing more of in the future... so I definitely want to get this thing replaced if what I'm seeing is correct.

I spoke to another rep on the phone. She is adamant, like the other, about having a repair tech come out FIRST even though I told her it needs a new panel. Did you all experience this as well? Again, do I need to speak to some type of supervisor? They acted like this has never happened before. I am also at work M-F until 5 PM, so a repair may be damn impossible...

Anyway, here are some shots I just took. The first, the right side of the dark shrubbery... obvious dark edges? Second shot... upper left in the skyline? Black level is set to low and it has black bars on the top and bottom in the format I have the movie.

post #2595 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I may have been wrong. After finding that scene of Skyfall, I think I began to notice the issue pretty badly! It is definitely more noticeable once you're actually using it as a TV and not a monitor, which I will be doing more of in the future... so I definitely want to get this thing replaced if what I'm seeing is correct.

I spoke to another rep on the phone. She is adamant, like the other, about having a repair tech come out FIRST even though I told her it needs a new panel. Did you all experience this as well? Again, do I need to speak to some type of supervisor? They acted like this has never happened before. I am also at work M-F until 5 PM, so a repair may be damn impossible...
I first started with the lg online support. They sent me a link where I could upload my original invoice plus 2 pictures of the problem. If I were you I would take a picture of a 5% and 10% grayscale slide. After I didn't get a call back I called their hotline and they told me my issue had escalated to their vip department.
DookSD likes this.
post #2596 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 61
For the owners of OLED. What would your advice be to someone who is considering purchasing the 65" EF9500? Should I wait a few years for OLED to improve or is it worth purchasing? Thanks in advance.

65LGC7
65JS9500
post #2597 of 5760 Old 08-27-2015, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by letterist View Post
For the owners of OLED. What would your advice be to someone who is considering purchasing the 65" EF9500? Should I wait a few years for OLED to improve or is it worth purchasing? Thanks in advance.
Wait a month or so for reports that pq issues are gone. Wait another month or two after that for the price to drop. Buy it. Prepare to be amazed.
Andrei_VVB, letterist and BDCarp04 like this.

Benq HT3550/LG OLED65B6P /Panny UB820 4k Bluray/Apple TV 4k
Nvidia Shield/HDFury AVRkey/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
post #2598 of 5760 Old 08-28-2015, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
Wait a month or so for reports that pq issues are gone. Wait another month or two after that for the price to drop. Buy it. Prepare to be amazed.
This is exactly my plan. (Hopefully by black Friday we'll be able to find it on the street for sub $5K.)

The only possible wrinkle will be potentially waiting until CES 2016 to see if there is anything significantly new in the immediate pipeline for early 2016. Personally, I can't think of what else they could possibly add to the 65" OLED sets in 6 months. (Other than new software, incremental improvements in color gamut or brightness, motion handling, smart TV features, etc.)

The one thing I can conceive of that would make me wait until well into 2016 to purchase is if LG changes their minds and decides to introduce a 65" Full HD set...I would gladly take significant cost savings and sacrifice 4k resolution. To date, LG's stance has been "this ain't going to happen" though....
post #2599 of 5760 Old 08-28-2015, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Better fill factor would be nice
Turrican4D likes this.
post #2600 of 5760 Old 08-28-2015, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6788 Post(s)
Liked: 6791
post #2601 of 5760 Old 08-28-2015, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Simultaneous Update! Here to report the issue has been FIXED.

Caveat, same that Wjboshart is seeing and probably liltalkm.

The new TCON board has its connectors on the opposite sides! The ribbons, large and small, used to plug in on the left and the connectors, black and white ones, on the right. The new TCON board's ribbons plug in on the right and the connectors on the left! The problem was that the cables are now long. However, I just suggested we proceed and route the cables sufficiently so that they would fit, and they did, it's not the prettiest layout under the back panel, but I don't really care.

For future repairs they really should ship the new, correct length, cables with the panels and new T-Conn boards.

Please excuse the poor photos, too much ambient light, but you can see the correction compared to my old panel shots earlier in this thread. I also included some Skyfall shots in parts that were a ****-show previously.

I will gather more tonight.
Dook, we know the cameras tend to exaggerate the issues.
Can you see the vertical bands yourself in real content or with the 5% slide?
post #2602 of 5760 Old 08-28-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Simultaneous Update! Here to report the issue has been FIXED.

Caveat, same that Wjboshart is seeing and probably liltalkm.

The new TCON board has its connectors on the opposite sides! The ribbons, large and small, used to plug in on the left and the connectors, black and white ones, on the right. The new TCON board's ribbons plug in on the right and the connectors on the left! The problem was that the cables are now long. However, I just suggested we proceed and route the cables sufficiently so that they would fit, and they did, it's not the prettiest layout under the back panel, but I don't really care.

For future repairs they really should ship the new, correct length, cables with the panels and new T-Conn boards.

Please excuse the poor photos, too much ambient light, but you can see the correction compared to my old panel shots earlier in this thread. I also included some Skyfall shots in parts that were a ****-show previously.

I will gather more tonight.
Time for a massive clearance sale on the old 9600's with a 'sold as is' agreement.
nowknown and DookSD like this.
post #2603 of 5760 Old 08-28-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaBob View Post
The month of manufacture is stated on the back of the TV along with the country. The first 3 numbers of the serial number found on the outside of the box or using the menu reveal the month too, eg
507 is July and 508 is August...and forward and backward in sequence. Now when was your TV made?
507, july.

I have no banding, even on full screen color patterns I only show very minor imperfections that'd you would never see in real content (even on pans I can't see it). Banding was worse on my 55EC9300. I still haven't noticed dark edges in any real life scenes, and i've been staring for it. There were a few scenes where I could tell the edges were every so slightly darker, but if I wasn't staring for it I would of never of noticed or knew it wasn't the content itself. If anyone remembers me from the Part 1 55EC9300 thread, I am extremely picky and notice these things much more than the average person... So I must of been lucky with my 55EG9600.

The dark edges are pretty awful on a dark gray screen (windows 10 log out, alt tab, etc screen displays it really badly). That's the only time i've seen it without throwing up patterns. I've even played a few dark games on my PC with it. Outlast, Amnesia, Witcher 3 at night. No banding or dark edges to be seen. 4K on an OLED is incredible for gaming, too bad even my Titan X struggles, and the fact the TV is meh for desktop usage (text just isn't that good with 100% scaling).

Speaking of, I can't seem to get the colors right on PC. I labelled the input as PC and I went into game mode, but some colors just aren't right and I'm wondering if it's because i'm going through my X7200W receiver. I am unable to select 4:4:4 in the NVIDIA control panel at 4K, but I can at 1080p. Windows detects the display as my receiver, and claims it's native is 1080p. HDMI 2.0 on every device so it should work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1966 View Post
Tyrindor, any luck on resolving your 3D crosstalk issue?
No, 3D is completely unusable on the set for me. My stand is normal height, even sitting on a pillow to get myself almost dead center there is massive crosstalk in some scenes. Played with the settings and couldn't resolve. I'm 9 feet away.

Zero problems like this on the 55EC9300.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 08-28-2015 at 10:09 AM.
post #2604 of 5760 Old 08-28-2015, 10:50 AM

Ooh, I don't like hearing that about the 3D at all...I thought this was one of the areas where these sets were truly supposed to shine?? Is there anyone here that is NOT having issues with 3D on the EG9600? Wonder if that is also some sort of defect like the black sides? I have one of these sets on the way, and I think I'm more concerned about the 3D than the possibility of black bars....I'm getting nervous now...
post #2605 of 5760 Old 08-28-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
Speaking of, I can't seem to get the colors right on PC. I labelled the input as PC and I went into game mode, but some colors just aren't right and I'm wondering if it's because i'm going through my X7200W receiver. I am unable to select 4:4:4 in the NVIDIA control panel at 4K, but I can at 1080p. Windows detects the display as my receiver, and claims it's native is 1080p. HDMI 2.0 on every device so it should work?
Only thing I can think of is that the TV won't do 4:4:4 at 10 or 12 bit.
I haven't tried it myself because I don't have the hardware but try 4kp60 at 8 bit 4:4:4.
EDIT: With deep color enabled.
post #2606 of 5760 Old 08-28-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vism View Post
Only thing I can think of is that the TV won't do 4:4:4 at 10 or 12 bit.
I haven't tried it myself because I don't have the hardware but try 4kp60 at 8 bit 4:4:4.
EDIT: With deep color enabled.
Enabling ultra deep color fixed it, and I can select 4:4:4. However, my X7200W receiver refuses to send a 4k60 signal with deep color through it so I have to do a direct connect. Hmm... Pretty sure this receiver is suppose to handle that?

Last edited by Tyrindor; 08-28-2015 at 11:41 AM.
post #2607 of 5760 Old 08-28-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1966 View Post
Ooh, I don't like hearing that about the 3D at all...I thought this was one of the areas where these sets were truly supposed to shine?? Is there anyone here that is NOT having issues with 3D on the EG9600? Wonder if that is also some sort of defect like the black sides? I have one of these sets on the way, and I think I'm more concerned about the 3D than the possibility of black bars....I'm getting nervous now...
I personally haven't had issues with 3d and have enjoyed the 3 features I've viewed so far which were the hobbit, Dredd, and pacific rim. I thought it was excellent. Equally as good as on the ec9300
DookSD likes this.
post #2608 of 5760 Old 08-28-2015, 12:17 PM

Got some night shots. Slight banding and right side darkening at 5%, but it's about 1/20th of the problem it used to be, if that. Banding has not shown up on any content save for one total fade to black after the credits of House of Cards. No more black flames on ANY content, I checked out the first night fight scene of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 4K on Netflix, no issues at all with Skyfall on BluRay. I'll check out BluRay Interstellar tonight for the Infamous scene. I did a power plug out reset last night and the banding looked even less on the 5% this morning. The previous panel settled a bit from new after about 50 hours and even more at over 100 hours so we'll see what this new one does over time. Again, none of the issues that are scene on the 5% slide make it to content being watched, unlike previously where it would be quite obvious at Low IRE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3373.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	912370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3374.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	912378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3375.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	912386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3377.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	912394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3376.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	912410  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3379.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	912418  
Ayla, EdwinB, dsinger and 7 others like this.

Last edited by DookSD; 08-28-2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Wow, iPhone Camera adds so much noise.
post #2609 of 5760 Old 08-28-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
I personally haven't had issues with 3d and have enjoyed the 3 features I've viewed so far which were the hobbit, Dredd, and pacific rim. I thought it was excellent. Equally as good as on the ec9300
Thanks for the reply Wjboshart, that makes me feel better. My set is due to be here by 5 PM today and I am on pins and needles.

Wjboshart, how are you watching your 3D? Do you stream, or watch 3D blu ray? Would you mind sharing the settings that you use for 3D?
post #2610 of 5760 Old 08-28-2015, 12:34 PM

I agree with Wjboshart on the 3D, I haven't watched much with it, just Avatar, but was very pleased, now with my darkened sides fixed I'm going to try out more of the 3D content I own. Tyrindor, what are your settings for 3D content? I have mine configured just like ISF1 Expert with no motion "enhancements" enabled. Just OLED light doubled from 48 to 96.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
55EG9600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page