Difference from ec 9300 to eg9600 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-24-2015, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Update Me on OLED

Other than the given obvious what would i expect to see upgrade wise from the ec9300 to the eg9600? what has been fixed? what is better? what needs work?

is the grayscale any better? is the motion any better? what about the Noise problems ?

Ive played with the 9300 for quite sometime and really didnt care for it but im giving oled a chance hoping they have gotten away better in the 4k revisions. Maybe some are just Lg problems?

Edit : sorry i fell out of the OLED so i really dont know details anymore , also will any 2k15 oled sets be supporting hdr threw metadata or just that netflix hdr

Last edited by unknownuser200; 05-30-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4772
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownuser200 View Post
Other than the given obvious what would i expect to see upgrade wise from the ec9300 to the eg9600? what has been fixed? what is better? what needs work?

is the grayscale any better? is the motion any better? what about the Noise problems ?

Ive played with the 9300 for quite sometime and really didnt care for it but im giving oled a chance hoping they have gotten away better in the 4k revisions. Maybe some are just Lg problems?

Edit : sorry i fell out of the OLED so i really dont know details anymore , also will any 2k15 oled sets be supporting hdr threw metadata or just that netflix hdr
What was it you did not like about the 55EC9300 in terms of grayscale that you found deficient?

For motion, what settings did you use and what content did you watch that left you feeling dissatisfied?

In terms of Noise, what are you referring to? (And again, what was the source)?
post #3 of 10 Old 05-25-2015, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
I experienced the same thing with my ec9300, I feel like a lot of detail gets lost towards the darker end of the spectrum... I don't necessarily know about noise, but I personally have had to battle between absolute black and loss of detail. I hope that the eg9600 using a 10bit panel will have better greyscale too, but it's hard to test that inside a best buy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-26-2015, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Well most displays can't see all black levels; so from what I noticed, in video games and movies in particular will only use shades of black up until box 3 on http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php because the average TV can't see beyond box 3 most of the time even with the brightness cracked all the way up.

If you set black level to that, you get absolute black. Only issues you run into is gray screen uniformity.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-26-2015, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 738
If OLEDs have issues with near black uniformity, could it be that LG deliberately crushed near black so as to conceal/hide the uniformity problem?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-26-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
If OLEDs have issues with near black uniformity, could it be that LG deliberately crushed near black so as to conceal/hide the uniformity problem?
I would assume it's either deliberate or because OLED is still in its infancy they haven't actually figured out how to dive that deep into the greyscale... I'm curious if Panasonic will be able to make that bridge as they have always been stellar at their gradation processing and I guess they are also diving into OLED technology
post #7 of 10 Old 05-26-2015, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
I experienced the same thing with my ec9300, I feel like a lot of detail gets lost towards the darker end of the spectrum... I don't necessarily know about noise, but I personally have had to battle between absolute black and loss of detail. I hope that the eg9600 using a 10bit panel will have better greyscale too, but it's hard to test that inside a best buy
this is exactly what i ment. and as for sources. ive tryed all sorts of BLURAYS :P im just wondering what upgrades and improvements they have made on the set in general
post #8 of 10 Old 05-26-2015, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
No it is more likely they deliberately crushed near black so that way it appears darker then it really should to make it more attractive on the show floor.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-27-2015, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
I get the opposite impression after my experience with the EG9600. Its gamma strongly wants to sit around 2.2 near black (regardless which gamma formula I select in ISF Expert) unless I go in and fix it with the 20-point white balance. Dynamic contrast set to low actually brings near black gamma closer to my target of 2.4, though it turns the rest of the gamma curve into a slight S shape. If someone's getting a blown out near black image and doesn't want to bother getting gamma calibrated, the very lowest dynamic contrast might be an acceptable solution (medium or higher will radically alter gamma).
post #10 of 10 Old 05-30-2015, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldaien View Post
I get the opposite impression after my experience with the EG9600. Its gamma strongly wants to sit around 2.2 near black (regardless which gamma formula I select in ISF Expert) unless I go in and fix it with the 20-point white balance. Dynamic contrast set to low actually brings near black gamma closer to my target of 2.4, though it turns the rest of the gamma curve into a slight S shape. If someone's getting a blown out near black image and doesn't want to bother getting gamma calibrated, the very lowest dynamic contrast might be an acceptable solution (medium or higher will radically alter gamma).

are any of the 2015s sets going to be able to do HDR threw meta or just the steaming? what about the Ef9800? any news on that

do they get any brighter than the say the 9300?

Last edited by unknownuser200; 05-30-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page