10 Reasons Plasma Died - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 274Likes

post #121 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 45
It hurted my wallet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Many videophiles lament the discontinuation of plasma-TV production by the major manufacturers. What factors contributed to its demise?

Just when it seemed plasma TVs had caught up to the performance benchmark set by the Pioneer Kuro—the Panasonic ZT60 and Samsung F8500 were notably great TVs—the major manufacturers pulled the plug on plasma production. Here are 10 reasons you can't buy one anymore.

1. Bright showroom conditions put plasmas at a distinct disadvantage versus LED-lit LCDs that can output much more light, allowing them to stand out in bright environments.

8. Energy efficiency may have played a part in putting plasma out to pasture. Both LED-lit LCD and OLED are more energy-efficient display technologies than plasma.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
I think that plasmas afected everybodys wallet. Those were a big budget cost to us video and HT fans.
Bright conditions in rooms were another reason! Im only expressing my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The best picture for the lowest price; Plasma

or

The highest profit for the lowest build cost; Led.

The reason for me plasma died... they were to good for there own good...
rossi46 and zeekle like this.
post #123 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
I did forget. That is truly an awesome article.
When you read through this article it drives home this point. If this information delivered to the masses via aggressive advertising then would plasma still be around today? Seeing the power of clever and informative TV commercials today I think yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
The point was that the 'dumb masses' sometimes make choices based on attributes other than quality...sometimes convenience and/or ignorance wins.
We absolutely agree there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
The professor reported that he did the experiment over several years, and the results were trending to a preference for mp3s. I didn't say I agreed, or that his 'study' was a rigorous one.
Fair enough. Frankly, I'm very curious about whether there would be any preference or any perceivable differences at all (and, if so, at what levels of compression) in a rigorous test.
post #125 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I bought a plasma in 2009 and 2012 and they weighed about the same as similar LCDs, were about the same thickness, and came in about the same size box. Not sure why you think they cost more to ship.
Shipping charges are based on weight and your TV was bought 6 years ago- have you lifted a new LCD/LED TV lately? It's not the size that's important- that only tells the shipper how much volume the item occupies.
post #126 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9166 Post(s)
Liked: 16164
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
Shipping charges are based on weight and your TV was bought 6 years ago- have you lifted a new LCD/LED TV lately? It's not the size that's important- that only tells the shipper how much volume the item occupies.
That is true. And plasma packaging—even (or you might say especially) for inexpensive models—was a lot larger than the skinny boxes a lot of LCDs come in. The last plasma box I saw was probably twice as deep as what you'd find a comparably-sized and priced LCD packed inside.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #127 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRage View Post
We absolutely agree there.

Fair enough. Frankly, I'm very curious about whether there would be any preference or any perceivable differences at all (and, if so, at what levels of compression) in a rigorous test.
I'd be curious as well. It would seem that better playback gear would illustrate shortfalls in the source material's quality, but carefully matching the characteristics of the playback gear to the source might help. I'm reminded of motown songs mixed for the capabilities of cheap radios, not for the hifi gear of the day. If Apple was/is smart, the headphones they include with their devices ought to be tailored to compensate for some of the shortfalls of the compressed files. Perhaps accentuate the low and high frequencies?

I remember enjoying my AM/cassette player as a child....and then being blown away when I heard the same tunes on a 'real' stereo. Perhaps the mp3 generation will have a similar epiphany..?

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #128 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is true. And plasma packaging—even (or you might say especially) for inexpensive models—was a lot larger than the skinny boxes a lot of LCDs come in. The last plasma box I saw was probably twice as deep as what you'd find a comparably-sized and priced LCD packed inside.
And that's amazing, considering the fragility of the thinnest displays- they don't like to be bent or twisted and a deeper package can prevent that if it's designed correctly. I packed a 60" plasma for someone yesterday, using a UHaul box. I think it needs more foam on the corners, but if they're confident that it will make the move and the moving company doesn't treat it like they work for FedEx, it should be OK.

Time for a FedEx rant- I went to one of their stores last week to find out if they have a box for flat panel TVs and was there while she looked in the book, which showed that they do have one that fits TVs up to 70". I had been told that they can "foam" the TV in the box, so the foam takes up all of the space, to protect better than just the one layer of cardboard and some air. She said they can do that and gave a price of $68. I called a different store two nights ago because the other one wasn't answering the phone and was told that they have the box, tehy can foam it and the total proce would be $28. He also said I could wait for it and it should take about 15 minutes, as long as I don't show up at the busy part of the day.

I went to the second store yesterday at about 10:45AM, on one of the most humid days we have had (it was over 85 degrees, too) and was told that it would cost $168, the flat panel boxes only go up to 55" and the foam method doesn't work because it generates too much heat. I asked who was working at 6:36 on the previous evening and was told "It must have been one of the new guys. Apologies.". I said that it's a training and management problem and replied, "So, you think it's a good idea to let new people loose on the floor and the phones when they can't answer questions accurately? You're wasting my time, his time (the guy who was helping me move the TV) and the homeowner's time.". One of them said UHaul has a box that will fit, so I went there and got one.

If people could only do their freaking jobs, we wouldn't have to deal with this stuff.
post #129 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracGuate View Post
I think that plasmas afected everybodys wallet. Those were a big budget cost to us video and HT fans.
Bright conditions in rooms were another reason! Im only expressing my opinion.
How so? Even the cheapest plasma line, the ST model from Panasonic was an incredible piece of tech with black levels extremely close to the VT line. There was never an actual loser in any of the plasma lines from Panasonic. Some people even preferred the ST and GT lines to the VT.

I believe when I got my GT50 it was $1,500 and still looks better than any LCD on the market and even has colors as lively as an OLED. I'd call that a bargain. I mean now we are paying $4,500 to $5,000 for a flagship or nearly flagship model and practically all these models are riddled with flaws that we never had with plasma.
post #130 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Four things kept me from purchasing plasma displays.

I could always hear buzzing especially with a white background on-screen. Reminded me of my old CRT college TV.

Heat - my main display is in a small enclosed room and heat is too excessive for me.

IR leading to burn-in- I watch NFL Sunday Ticket Red Zone Channel for 6 straight hours every Sunday which has a dedicated ticker on the bottom of screen.

Dithering- I know this isn't an issue for most people but everytime i'm within 6-8ft of a plasma screen I see it and it bothers me substantially.
rgb32 likes this.
post #131 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just picked up a 60" LG PB6650 plasma from Dell a couple weeks ago for $850. I checked now and it's gone, stock must have dried up.

Beats the snot out of most LCDs in my opinion. Sad to see the tech go. Picked this up to wait out 4K and OLED tech a few years until everything is finalized and down in price.
post #132 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
How so? Even the cheapest plasma line, the ST model from Panasonic was an incredible piece of tech with black levels extremely close to the VT line.
The S line is cheaper than the ST. And I would have bought one for my bedroom in a heartbeat had I ever caught it on sale. It was too high at regular price, but sometimes it would go on sale for ridiculously low prices.
post #133 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Yes the packing is heavy duty for a plasma.I just packed up my 151 and dropped it off a pioneer service center today.my Brother help me load it the look on his face when he picked up one end of it was funny he wanted to know if I had rocks in there because it was so heavy
post #134 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
I did forget. That is truly an awesome article.
Quote:
Panasonic's irreplaceable involvement in this technology created a glassy, lucid canvas that really let quality video shine.
-- David Mackenzie, hardware consultant, HDTVTest

He's spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
When you read through this article it drives home this point. If this information delivered to the masses via aggressive advertising then would plasma still be around today? Seeing the power of clever and informative TV commercials today I think yes.
The masses are trend followers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
Reminded me of my old CRT college TV.
I loved that flashback feeling.
post #135 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I picked on up a few months ago, biting the bullet at the end of the time to choose. Perhaps it's not as much better as I'd heard, but it is might, mighty pretty.
post #136 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
The image out of a plasma is really not that accurate to the image being fed into the TV. I think this a misnomer.

11. Dithering causes a loss of high frequency details (sharpness)
12. color is simulated with dithering (only 4000 to 7000 actual solid colors)
13. high speed motion PWM tends to drop details and do odd things (break up) <-- phosphor lag?
14. Last gen panasonics did some nasty tricks to achieve their black levels (slow scanning in dark areas for example) ... flickering
15. ABL (TV can never be 100% calibrated but to a range of APL)

The "film" (rolleyes) like image was due to the image being soft from the PWM/dithering/lack of solid color.

Your eyes got use to the plasma image; thus that is what you keep looking for in terms of "image quality". If you focus your attention on the details I mentioned above you'll start to see the flaws.

This is no different than swapping receivers. You will hear a difference; your ear will probably prefer your old receiver as it's what you are use to hearing. Your eyes are no different.

All of this said; I loved my plasmas. Still do. But I'm well aware of their pitfalls.

For quite while Plasma was the better choice than LCD. In a few short years OLED will have all of the bugs worked out and Plasma will long be forgotten. Or perhaps remembered for being a "unicorn" when in reality it was more of a mustang.

+1. Reasons 11 - 15 were why I could never justify a plasma TV purchase. Reasons 1 - 10... *shrug*
post #137 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
Ever see how much power a low end LCD based set uses? My 51" F8500 uses less power than my 37" Element.
If any LCD is using anywhere close to what a plasma is, it's got to be a total POS. Or there's something wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
LCD never got there. Here's a comparison with the last high end Plasma, an OLED and 4 top line 4K LCD's at the time.

The power consumption on those TV's is so small compared to the overall cost that it's laughable. Most of that energy, in the winter. stops you from needing to generate heat anyways.
It's actually pretty significant. You need more A/C in the summer, and unless you're heating with electric resistance, the waste heat is a LOT more expensive than oil, gas, heat pumps, wood, or any other way you can heat your house that's not electric resistance.

Quote:
Gotta love people cheering inferior technology. Too bad we don't have external combustion engines in cars, huh?
LCD is a far superior technology. Just like electric cars. Electric cars, however, still have some downsides, like range. Unlike LCDs, which can do everythin ga plasma can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
About energy consumption ?watch out that HDR is around the corner and it will be a power hog too specially when they will starting to reach to around 2,000 nits.

I guess that you will stay with LCD without HDR to save energy.
3D is a power hog too. It will be interesting to see what happens with HDR.
post #138 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
How so? Even the cheapest plasma line, the ST model from Panasonic was an incredible piece of tech with black levels extremely close to the VT line. There was never an actual loser in any of the plasma lines from Panasonic. Some people even preferred the ST and GT lines to the VT. .
If you see the original post, point No. 8 is related with electrical power needed with plasmas.
Picture quality is another whole story! In my case, I still have a plasma 42 inches working fine. Black levels are very nice.
I hope my point is clear now...
post #139 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
LCD is a far superior technology. Just like electric cars. Electric cars, however, still have some downsides, like range. Unlike LCDs, which can do everything a plasma can do.
In what way? Everything?
post #140 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
LCD is a far superior technology. Just like electric cars. Electric cars, however, still have some downsides, like range. Unlike LCDs, which can do everythin ga plasma can do.
If that were true the majority of LCDs would be cranking out high contrast ratios, good off axis viewing and silky natural smooth motion.

Those LCDs that has good viewing angles has very poor contrast ratio.
Turrican4D and sickkent like this.
post #141 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2829
Not too long ago I was looking for videos that had a plasma display and I found that many live TV shows and news were using Plasma display ,many are still using this displays ,I also found a video with a religious service in Haiti with a wall of plasmas ,this displays were outside expose to the heat .

I can bring the pictures and videos ,I agree that they are heavy displays and have pros and cons like many other display tech,no display is perfect but the last generation plasma and kuro offer great blacks.

there was a big FUD about plasma and the same will happen to OLED ,people get too worry about self emissive displays because all the FUD that has been created.

My next display will be an Oled or FALD but the prices are crazy high for the top models.

so for now I'm going to keep my 65"VT60 that cost me brand new, not used! with free shipping on amazon less than $2,000.

you need 6k to 8k or even more to get the top OLED and FALD models

Last edited by losservatore; 07-29-2015 at 03:13 PM.
post #142 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I have 2 Panasonic plasmas and they're great, but some of the LCDs currently available look better.
How so?

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #143 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Plasma is dead, just snap out of it.

________

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujxDA9VsQG4

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-29-2015 at 04:39 PM. Reason: OLED tube
post #144 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcapprotti View Post
Yes the packing is heavy duty for a plasma.I just packed up my 151 and dropped it off a pioneer service center today.my Brother help me load it the look on his face when he picked up one end of it was funny he wanted to know if I had rocks in there because it was so heavy
Have to protect that glass somehow.

home theater addict
post #145 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Best Buy set plasma TVs to their normal brightness and everything else was in Torch Mode, which made the plasmas look dull and lifeless. That alone was a handful of nails in the coffin. Why they did this is anyone's guess, but one of the factors I would use if I cared only about my profit and not in the picture quality of the products I was selling is shipping costs. If they sold 250K TVs and the cost to move LCD/LED TVs is half that of plasma TVs, the savings would be substantial. If they averaged $50 profit on their TVs and relied on extended warranty/accessory/install to make the whole thing sustainable, reducing the shipping is a logical move.

Most of the 10 reasons don't mean much while someone is using the TV- how many are actually thinking about the thickness, bendability, weight, age of the technology, shipping requirements or potential of what they use? I think the answer is "NOBODY".

I have yet to see a projector that does black level as well as Plasma for anywhere near the price. Yes, projectors show a big, shiny picture, but not in daylight/high ambient light. Then, there's the issue of which screen is used, its cost, design considerations, etc.

If Best Buy wanted to sabotage plasma sales because they made a lot more profit on LCDs due to shipping weight (or anything else), the best thing they could have done was stop selling plasmas all together, and long ago. The number of people that were dead set on plasma and would buy their TV somewhere else instead of buying an LCD would be more than made up for by using the space occupied by plasmas for displaying more lcd models. Most best buy buyers are going to buy a tv at best buy and pick the one that looks best in that environment in their price range. Plasma was on the ropes for several years, yet Best Buy until the end devoted expensive sales floor space to various plasma models. If the executives in corporate Best Buy were sitting there saying we hope everyone who comes in the store buys an lcd and not a plasma, they would have ditched plasmas long before Panasonic, Samsung and LG stopped producing them.
post #146 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peka j. View Post
If Best Buy wanted to sabotage plasma sales because they made a lot more profit on LCDs due to shipping weight (or anything else), the best thing they could have done was stop selling plasmas all together, and long ago. The number of people that were dead set on plasma and would buy their TV somewhere else instead of buying an LCD would be more than made up for by using the space occupied by plasmas for displaying more lcd models. Most best buy buyers are going to buy a tv at best buy and pick the one that looks best in that environment in their price range. Plasma was on the ropes for several years, yet Best Buy until the end devoted expensive sales floor space to various plasma models. If the executives in corporate Best Buy were sitting there saying we hope everyone who comes in the store buys an lcd and not a plasma, they would have ditched plasmas long before Panasonic, Samsung and LG stopped producing them.
BB stopped paying commission to their sales people and it's a lot easier to sell TVs by letting people see how shiny & bright they are compared to the ones they don't want to sell by not setting the ones they want to sell off of look their best. People wander through the stores and make a lot of decisions without talking to anyone and they count on this fact. BB had only a few models of plasma until the end of 2014, when they stopped carrying them completely. The few they had until that time were one of the best investments BB ever made- the TV just hangs there and they probably sold 500:1 unless someone just had to have one, for whatever reason.

People in the business like plasma and we aren't happy they're gone, but it's pointless to think that we'll have any way to bring them back.
post #147 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
BB stopped paying commission to their sales people and it's a lot easier to sell TVs by letting people see how shiny & bright they are compared to the ones they don't want to sell by not setting the ones they want to sell off of look their best. People wander through the stores and make a lot of decisions without talking to anyone and they count on this fact. BB had only a few models of plasma until the end of 2014, when they stopped carrying them completely. The few they had until that time were one of the best investments BB ever made- the TV just hangs there and they probably sold 500:1 unless someone just had to have one, for whatever reason.

People in the business like plasma and we aren't happy they're gone, but it's pointless to think that we'll have any way to bring them back.
Best Buy did a poor job displaying plasmas properly or explaining to customers their advantages - that is covered throughout this thread, and I agree. But I don't think there was such a profit advantage, especially based on shipping weight, that BB cared whether you bought a plasma or lcd. My point is if there was a large profit advantage, given that LCD for years was outselling plasma by a lot, they simply would have stopped carrying them and devoting floor space to them.
post #148 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Have to protect that glass somehow.
It makes you wonder how the glass ends up getting broke because they're packed very well
post #149 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
...From bending?

@ That's probably why they build curved screens now.
post #150 of 322 Old 07-29-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peka j. View Post
Best Buy did a poor job displaying plasmas properly or explaining to customers their advantages - that is covered throughout this thread, and I agree. But I don't think there was such a profit advantage, especially based on shipping weight, that BB cared whether you bought a plasma or lcd. My point is if there was a large profit advantage, given that LCD for years was outselling plasma by a lot, they simply would have stopped carrying them and devoting floor space to them.
They don't make a lot on TVs- they rely on the extended warranties and accessory sales to provide the bulk of the profit, along with whatever installations they do. I have a customer whose friend from Wharton School of Business is one of the higher-ups at BB, although he did buy a good-sized system w/installation from me because of the recommendation from another customer, who works with him.

If I wanted to maximize my product dollars, I would either hit the numbers that get free shipping, use the spiffs or buy in sufficient quantity so I get the best pricing and/or terms. Obviously, BB buys in huge quantities and in fact, they were Panasonic's largest customer but it's not a simple question to answer- now that the manufacturers have stopped making things that can be easily serviced, it was the end. At one point, Sony had such ridiculous core charges on plasma screens that they were demanding literally thousands of dollars as a core deposit when a replacement was ordered and the dealer wouldn't be returning the bad one. Sounds stupid and I agree, but I know two dealers that serviced TVs- one who recently closed and another who's still in business- they both said the same about this and the dealer that's still open was buying $70K in screens from Sony EVERY month, because they're one of the few servicing dealers in the SE corner of Wisconsin and they do on-site repairs all over this area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
frontpage , oled , plasma