Official 2015-2016 LG 55EG9100 OLED "full" 1080p HDTV. - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 716Likes

post #1021 of 3621 Old 01-21-2016, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
I swear I can see some color shift on snow-y/white scenes too, but I guess its probably not enough to return the thing and go back to spending nearly as much on an LED that I won't be half as happy with, and may have more issues

I'm just being anal retentive, since its a new purchase and because im a screen stickler (even with iOS devices, so many are so paltry in quality)

This makes me feel a bit better
You can maybe see it on the opening scene of the movie Fargo where there's a lot of snow for example. Honestly those types of scenes are rare and the overall picture quality is far superior to any LCD in the same price range.

If you want to get something even close to OLED TV you're going to be spending several thousand on a full array local dimming television. And even then you will also find other drawbacks and annoyances with that technology.

There is no perfect panel at the moment. the Panasonic plasmas came close to perfection but the TVs were very dim and in terms of black level those TVs now look grey compared to OLED TVs and they once were considered the inky black reference panels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 3621 Old 01-21-2016, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_q View Post
You can maybe see it on the opening scene of the movie Fargo where there's a lot of snow for example. Honestly those types of scenes are rare and the overall picture quality is far superior to any LCD in the same price range.

If you want to get something even close to OLED TV you're going to be spending several thousand on a full array local dimming television. And even then you will also find other drawbacks and annoyances with that technology.

There is no perfect panel at the moment. the Panasonic plasmas came close to perfection but the TVs were very dim and in terms of black level those TVs now look grey compared to OLED TVs and they once were considered the inky black reference panels.
Good point. And local dimming conceptually hides the issue more than fixes it and I've been reading helps but not as much as touted for colors. More localized decent black levels.

I'm really happy with this set I had to ask another persons opinion though.

I also have a 45 day return policy.

I should just enjoy
post #1023 of 3621 Old 01-21-2016, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Good point. And local dimming conceptually hides the issue more than fixes it and I've been reading helps but not as much as touted for colors. More localized decent black levels.

I'm really happy with this set I had to ask another persons opinion though.

I also have a 45 day return policy.

I should just enjoy
Yeah just start watching movies and shows and enjoy the TV. If you're like me you will just go nuts and your OCD will take over if you are looking at test patterns and constantly trying to calibrate and perfect the picture settings. Just start watching movies and enjoy the best display technology out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 3621 Old 01-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_q View Post
Yeah just start watching movies and shows and enjoy the TV. If you're like me you will just go nuts and your OCD will take over if you are looking at test patterns and constantly trying to calibrate and perfect the picture settings. Just start watching movies and enjoy the best display technology out there.
Thanks for the assurance!

private messaged you one last question but I'm sure this post still applies to what you've just said
post #1025 of 3621 Old 01-22-2016, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just received my replacement for my second bad 9100 (both were 509 builds). I saw on the box it was a 601 build, so I was optimistic the yellow banding would be gone. Well the yellowing banding on the right side of the screen is gone, but I now have yellow/pinkish banding on the left side. Its almost the exact same size as my last two TVs, but on the opposite side, its almost like the flipped the TV upside down. While its not as extreme as the prior two TVs, it still makes the ice on hockey look like a different color than the rest of the screen. The only positive is that is that the banding doesn't seem to impact the color green as much, as the field on football isn't as yellow as the past two TVs. The past two tvs always made it look like the right side of the field needed to be watered more (until the screen panned). I'll most likely return it and be done for OLED until they can improve screen uniformity, it shouldn't be this hard to get a decent panel.
post #1026 of 3621 Old 01-22-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Is it possible due to the curve, we are just seeing the screen coating on a pure white screen? When you are looking at the screen head on you will be seeing the sides at an angle which may cause the coating to be less transmissive. So we see the sides as a light pink. While the middle is flat, so you see nothing.

We know all the reflections on a dark screen are a purplish color which seems to be unique to this display type. So people may not be used to seeing this pink on the curves on a white screen. This could be tested by looking at a white screen on the flat display.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #1027 of 3621 Old 01-22-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I have never heard of the yellow banding issue on these televisions. My 509 didnt have it, nor my 510.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
post #1028 of 3621 Old 01-22-2016, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just received mine from Adorama. 510 build. One dead pixel only noticeable from 1 ft away. I actually don't care for the ISF mode. I lined up the arms of my mount from amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00) and with some spacers it should do the trick. The unique thing about this mount is that it has extension arms (you'll need long arms). Will report back.

The whole channel guide/lineup thing is annoying - need to find a way to undo all of that from the setup. What's the consensus on when to calibrate - 100 hours in?
post #1029 of 3621 Old 01-23-2016, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys!

I bought a 910V (november build) and I'm loving it so far despite some problems with near black noise and banding. One thing got me concerned though, and it is the brightness setting.

I use the ISF preset and have brightness at 50. This crushes some detail but I'm able to watch most content without severe banding. When the banding is more severe, I turn it down to 46 or 47 and get no banding at all.

However, I've seen on RTings.com and in this thread that most users seem to have brightness at 55 or even higher. When I turn up my brightness to 55 I get lots of problems with grey patches in near black scenes, vertical banding and noise in the blacks. This is all kinds of content.

Is this normal? Is my unit faulty?

For example, if I watch the dark scenes at the end of Edge of tomorrow with brightness at 55, it looks really bad. At 50 it looks better but I know I lose some black detail. Same with many other movies.

Can I leave brightness at 50 and be happy with it or am I losing too much detail?
post #1030 of 3621 Old 01-23-2016, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Was at microcenter and they had a lg coupon that brought the 9100 down to $1499. Only problem it ends today.
post #1031 of 3621 Old 01-23-2016, 05:49 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post
Hi guys!

I bought a 910V (november build) and I'm loving it so far despite some problems with near black noise and banding. One thing got me concerned though, and it is the brightness setting.

I use the ISF preset and have brightness at 50. This crushes some detail but I'm able to watch most content without severe banding. When the banding is more severe, I turn it down to 46 or 47 and get no banding at all.

However, I've seen on RTings.com and in this thread that most users seem to have brightness at 55 or even higher. When I turn up my brightness to 55 I get lots of problems with grey patches in near black scenes, vertical banding and noise in the blacks. This is all kinds of content.

Is this normal? Is my unit faulty?

For example, if I watch the dark scenes at the end of Edge of tomorrow with brightness at 55, it looks really bad. At 50 it looks better but I know I lose some black detail. Same with many other movies.

Can I leave brightness at 50 and be happy with it or am I losing too much detail?
Do you have your gamma at 2.2 and hdmi black level low / auto ?
I bet you have yours at hdmi high which is wrong settings for normal use.
I have hardware calibrated my set, and i use gamma 2.2 and brightness of 53 or 54 dont remember for sure.
post #1032 of 3621 Old 01-23-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pviljaka View Post
Do you have your gamma at 2.2 and hdmi black level low / auto ?
I bet you have yours at hdmi high which is wrong settings for normal use.
I have hardware calibrated my set, and i use gamma 2.2 and brightness of 53 or 54 dont remember for sure.
I am using black level auto when watching with the netflix app and low when watching blurays.

Ok but at brightness at 53 or 54 don't you get problems in near black scenes? For example I get big problems in Occulus (movie) , edge of tomorrow, the grey (movie) and in more titles with near black. If I have brightness at 50 it is better, but to make it go away I would have to have brightness at 46 or 47.

Is my unit faulty?
post #1033 of 3621 Old 01-23-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
I am using black level auto when watching with the netflix app and low when watching blurays.

Ok but at brightness at 53 or 54 don't you get problems in near black scenes? For example I get big problems in Occulus (movie) , edge of tomorrow, the grey (movie) and in more titles with near black. If I have brightness at 50 it is better, but to make it go away I would have to have brightness at 46 or 47.

Is my unit faulty?
Define "problems in near black scenes". Give accurate time stamp and movie so i can perhaps check them out.
Yes there is some uniformaty "issues" on near black grays, but I dont see it as real issue on real content. Oveall picture quality still beats the hell out of any other display tech i'v seen

ps. i just checked my brightness, its on 52

Last edited by pviljaka; 01-23-2016 at 06:29 AM.
post #1034 of 3621 Old 01-23-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Define "problems in near black scenes". Give accurate time stamp and movie so i can perhaps check them out.
Yes there is some uniformaty "issues" on near black grays, but I dont see it as real issue on real content. Oveall picture quality still beats the hell out of any other display tech i'v seen

ps. i just checked my brightness, its on 52
Do you have netflix? In that case you could try out the movie "Oculus", the very first scene after the movie title (the boy and the girl running in the dark). That scene looks good to me atbrightness @50 but overblown and bandy even at 52 brightness.

Same with Edge of tomorrow, at 1 hour and 30 minute mark. In the dark city scenes there I get a lot of banding there even with brightness @ 50, and even worse if I increase the brightness.

Despite these issues I still love the TV, it's awesome most of the time. Just a bit confused about the brightness setting since so many users have it cranked up to 54-55. Am I missing a lot of details if I just use the ISF Expert 1 with brighness at 50 (the default mode anyway) ? And if other users are not seeing issues with brightness at higher levels, might my unit be faulty?
post #1035 of 3621 Old 01-23-2016, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:

Is my unit faulty?
I calibrated mine with the AVS 709- my brightness is at 50. Room conditions can also impact.

Interestly enough - I switched our input to HDMI 3 from 1 as the missus found it easier using the smart TV for Amazon prime over the Xbox - and its noticably darker... I haven't recalibrate yet, but I'm imagining I'll end up in that 54 range.
post #1036 of 3621 Old 01-23-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 211
HI,

Long time lurker but don't post too much. I am here because I am on the fence with the set, the store I saw the 9100 in does not have cable hooked up they only have a usb source and I really want to know what hockey looks like on this set. I couldn't fine anything to download and put on a usb stick, though I did take a movie I had ripped and compresses and it looked fantastic. So what I want to know from someone who came from a plasma set and is not watching oled , how does hockey look on this set.

Richard
post #1037 of 3621 Old 01-23-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
It's impossible to say. Many settings interact'; for shadow detail, Brightness is most important, but OLED Light and Contrast are important, too. I have 60, 54, 65 for these settings. My suggestion to you is to trust your eyes. Tune in a night scene, or at least a scene with shadows predominating, and turn down Brightness until you notice you're losing shadow detail, then nudge it back up a little to get the detail back. That's the right setting.

Greg Lee
post #1038 of 3621 Old 01-24-2016, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

http://www.amazon.com/SquareTrade-5-...rranty+5+years

Think it's worth 5 year squaretrade for 155?

Bought my tv w American Express so I already have a 2nd year but curious
post #1039 of 3621 Old 01-24-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/SquareTrade-5-...rranty+5+years

Think it's worth 5 year squaretrade for 155?

Bought my tv w American Express so I already have a 2nd year but curious
If you're a Costco member- you can buy it through them as well- $90. It says 3 years, but that's after the first two (which you have covered).
post #1040 of 3621 Old 01-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scape111 View Post
If you're a Costco member- you can buy it through them as well- $90. It says 3 years, but that's after the first two (which you have covered).
Not a Costco member unfortunately.

But 3 years warranty is 3 years after 2 covered? So is 5 year a 7 year warranty I don't understand that one.

How does square trade cost co thing know to incorporate credit card warranty extension?
post #1041 of 3621 Old 01-24-2016, 01:17 PM

I have some strange smudge (maybe dull scratch) on the bottom right bezel. The bezel is grooved. I've tried water and screen cleaner with a good lint cloth. Doesn't seem to want to come off (even digging with my nail doesn't seem to make an impact). I know I'm being super anal retentive but I can see it from my seating position. Any ideas what else I can use to get it off? I'm not sure I want to try goo-gone yet...
post #1042 of 3621 Old 01-24-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Not a Costco member unfortunately.

But 3 years warranty is 3 years after 2 covered? So is 5 year a 7 year warranty I don't understand that one.

How does square trade cost co thing know to incorporate credit card warranty extension?
Look elsewhere on this forum for square trade posts- many members have used them even without equipment bought at Costco. If you had- manufacturers 1 year, Costco 2nd year, square trade 3-5.

It'd be the same for you except Amex takes year 2. As for direct from square trade - read the terms... It may be 5 years from them after the two covered... I'm not sure. Have to look into it myself as we just got our set a week ago. This was discussed in a different post not long ago which is why I mentioned it- unfortunately I'm in delayed research mode about it and can't give ya the details.
post #1043 of 3621 Old 01-25-2016, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowgman1234 View Post
The 9300 had a setting where you could rename an HDMI input to "PC", and that paired with game mode would yield 28-29ms input lag (not horrible). Does the 9100 do this as well? Can anyone confirm or deny that?
I'd like to know this too. Any results?
post #1044 of 3621 Old 01-26-2016, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Parents ended up buying a 9100 on a very good sale online to replace their dead set. They've been borrowing my old bedroom 32 inch set. Picture seems to have more vibrant colors to it than I recall seeing in the 9300 I owned for a brief time before returning to my plasma to hold out for a good gaming 4k OLED set. Only odd abornamility on their set is the left side has a faint hint of a blue tint on the side of the screen you can see on a white screen. Hoping by the next time I visit them that it fades away for the most part as the panel breaks in after it has some serious hours logged into it.

Last edited by vaxick; 01-26-2016 at 01:45 AM.
post #1045 of 3621 Old 01-26-2016, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"Only odd abornamility on their set is the left side has a faint hint of a blue tint on the side of the screen you can see on a white screen. Hoping by the next time I visit them that it fades away for the most part as the panel breaks in after it has some serious hours logged into it."

It won't go away. This is a very common problem with all lines of LG OLED. There are many reports of yellow or pink shading/banding on one third of the TV, either on the right or left side. My first two, 509 builds, had a yellow hue on the right third of the screen. My latest, 601 build, has pink on the left third of the screen. I believe the issue is due to an uneven application of some kind of filter. If I watch the tv from an extreme angle on the side, the color isn't visible, but if I'm straight on or even from a normal position on the side its very visible. ChadB mentioned in his reviews of the 9300 that whites would become yellow when viewing from significantly off axis. My guess is that when the filter is applied unevenly, it shows up directly on axis, as opposed to off axis.
post #1046 of 3621 Old 01-26-2016, 07:25 AM

What does it mean if I have 2 black pixels on a pure red backdrop, 1 on a pure blue back drop, and 0 on either a green, white, and black (duh) backdrop?
post #1047 of 3621 Old 01-26-2016, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am just realizing that I haven't noticed the gradient color lines in near black scenes like I did when it was brand new. I've been looking for it about a week now and just don't see it anymore. Anyone else notice an improvement in dark scenes? The tv is about 10 weeks old now.
post #1048 of 3621 Old 01-26-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPCinc View Post
I am just realizing that I haven't noticed the gradient color lines in near black scenes like I did when it was brand new. I've been looking for it about a week now and just don't see it anymore. Anyone else notice an improvement in dark scenes? The tv is about 10 weeks old now.
Yes. I noticed the same I also tought i might have been adjusting the set for better settings. It must be the "auto compensation cycle" these LG OLED TV's do on a standby on every 5-8 hours of usage that helps the initial banding.

First day I was watching this set, I noticed vertical banding very clearly on nearly dark scenes, example movie Avengers (the scene where Thor shows up and talks to Loki before Iron Man comes and they start to fight). Now its 90% OK. I sometimes see soft and faint banding on a dark scene WITH horizontal panning, but its not longer an issue.

More of an "issue" from banding is the tint issue. My screen left side is little bit pink and middle little green. Cant notice this on normal viewing, not very common to have long scenes full on white. Good thing is i dont watch hockey / winter sports. Overall of course the picture is best I have owned. Not complaing, just nitpicking

Last edited by pviljaka; 01-26-2016 at 08:56 PM.
post #1049 of 3621 Old 01-28-2016, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Yes. I noticed the same I also tought i might have been adjusting the set for better settings. It must be the "auto compensation cycle" these LG OLED TV's do on a standby on every 5-8 hours of usage that helps the initial banding.

First day I was watching this set, I noticed vertical banding very clearly on nearly dark scenes, example movie Avengers (the scene where Thor shows up and talks to Loki before Iron Man comes and they start to fight). Now its 90% OK. I sometimes see soft and faint banding on a dark scene WITH horizontal panning, but its not longer an issue.

More of an "issue" from banding is the tint issue. My screen left side is little bit pink and middle little green. Cant notice this on normal viewing, not very common to have long scenes full on white. Good thing is i dont watch hockey / winter sports. Overall of course the picture is best I have owned. Not complaing, just nitpicking
I also have slight pink tint on left eighth of the screen. It is rarely noticeable other than mostly white screens. However it does disappear at viewing angles of 45 or more, which I often view at.
post #1050 of 3621 Old 01-28-2016, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
It has improved quite a bit since the first day the set was powered on. My PlayStation Vita screen had issues when I first got it including uniformity issues that stuck out like a sore thumb in some games. That same Vita today has a very uniform screen. My current phone, a Google Nexus 6p has had a red tinting issue almost vanish since owning the phone for a few months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160128_170733_1454019144259.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1216762  

Last edited by vaxick; 01-28-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
2015 - 2016 lg 55eg9100 "full" 1080p hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page