Official 2015-2016 LG 55EG9100 OLED "full" 1080p HDTV. - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 716Likes

post #1111 of 3621 Old 02-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 103
9100 is a great set, for sure, if you get one with flaws you can live with

I still can't help but feel that 9300 is slightly more premium though,

black back
4 HDMI
40w speakers
cooler stand
less tint-y panel (from my experience, and rtings.com review samples, quite anecdotal though and I know 9300 is luck of the draw as well, as are all panels)
LG logo glow on power on and for the cleaning cycle or whatever it does after running the tv for several hours and turning it off
-3.5mm out (even though not using that anymore with computer speakers, I have a proper receiver/book shelf speaker set up driven by optical audio out which is on both models)

compared with:
white back
3 HDMI
20w speakers
inferior stand
-though faster proc, and webOS 2 shipped out the door, (i'm too afraid to update from webOS 1.4 that came with my 9300, not using smart features anyways)

I guess I open the floor to debate, even though 9100 vs 9300 is almost splitting hairs

Last edited by thadoggfather; 02-03-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 3621 Old 02-03-2016, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks for your replies!

I have attached a picture of a white screen on my 9100 below. To thadoggfather - I agree with you. The 930V has a more premium feel to it, I've tried 3 of these myself and they feel much more deluxe than 9100. Just look at the way they are packaged, the 930V accessories come in cool black boxes, the 9100 ones in plastic bags.

My problem with the 930V has been that they have had very much green tint. The green tint in the middle is much more annoying to me than the red one, but I'm wondering if maybe my 9100 is too red. What do you think about the picture?

By the way, I'm not asking for a white pic to be rude and "ask for proof" hehe Sorry if it seems like it, it is much more about that we see tint in different ways. I think most users look for tint in normal content and won't find any, but if we are a bit more critical we can find it when there is a lot of white in the picture, like on a white wall or in a snowy landscape.

As I said please see my 9100 picture and help me decide if I should keep this or try to get a better one. I like the picture a lot but I can still see the red in many movies, like Lord of the rings Return of the king the city Minas Tirith is shifting from white to red across my TV /
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mytint01.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1228081  
post #1113 of 3621 Old 02-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post
Thanks for your replies!

I have attached a picture of a white screen on my 9100 below. To thadoggfather - I agree with you. The 930V has a more premium feel to it, I've tried 3 of these myself and they feel much more deluxe than 9100. Just look at the way they are packaged, the 930V accessories come in cool black boxes, the 9100 ones in plastic bags.

My problem with the 930V has been that they have had very much green tint. The green tint in the middle is much more annoying to me than the red one, but I'm wondering if maybe my 9100 is too red. What do you think about the picture?

By the way, I'm not asking for a white pic to be rude and "ask for proof" hehe Sorry if it seems like it, it is much more about that we see tint in different ways. I think most users look for tint in normal content and won't find any, but if we are a bit more critical we can find it when there is a lot of white in the picture, like on a white wall or in a snowy landscape.

As I said please see my 9100 picture and help me decide if I should keep this or try to get a better one. I like the picture a lot but I can still see the red in many movies, like Lord of the rings Return of the king the city Minas Tirith is shifting from white to red across my TV /
No worries you are not being rude at all, maybe later I can take a screenshot just to show you a comparison if you wish over PM but I just don't want to open the door to criticism since I'm so happy with what I now have, why fix what isn't broken by my perceptions? I'm on cloud 9 right now I'm positive my panel could be nitpicked, but from viewing a bunch of difficult content last night, and seeing the banding on those grey scenes, it looks SO MUCH better than my 9100 did and more subtle rather than in your face.
And no obvious color shift that draws attention to my eye and takes away from focusing on the scene that I'm watching, what was the more annoying issue.

And from that pic, it looks really similar to how my 9100 set was except on the right instead of left. Personally, it would bother me.

It's hard to see 'un-see' issues, once you've spotted them. especially and particularly with real content, not just a blank screen.

What drives me nuts, most of all with a pink tint on the side, is the color shift when scenes pan. You can hone in on objects and faces that go from looking neutral to maroon-y.

But, if it really doesn't bother you, not dealing with exchange/return/warranty swaps endlessly, is time well saved

Last edited by thadoggfather; 02-03-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 3621 Old 02-03-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
No worries you are not being rude at all, maybe later I can take a screenshot just to show you a comparison if you wish over PM but I just don't want to open the door to criticism since I'm so happy with what I now have, why fix what isn't broken by my perceptions? I'm on cloud 9 right now I'm positive my panel could be nitpicked, but from viewing a bunch of difficult content last night, and seeing the banding on those grey scenes, it looks SO MUCH better than my 9100 did. And no obvious color shift that draws attention to my eye and takes away from focusing on the scene that I'm watching,

And from that pic, it looks really similar to how my 9100 set was except on the right instead of left. Personally, it would bother me.

It's hard to see 'un-see' issues, once you've spotted them. especially and particularly with real content, not just a blank screen.

What drives me nuts, most of all with a pink tint on the side, is the color shift when scenes pan. You can hone in on objects and faces that go from looking neutral to maroon-y.

But, if it really doesn't bother you, not dealing with exchange/return/warranty swaps endlessly, is time well saved

Yes I understand, you don't want to go looking for issues cause when you do, it's hard to unsee them I like my set in most viewing, and it is a very good upgrade compared to my old plasma. The only thing that concerns me is if I can get the same set but without the issues I'm seeing now.. now that would be the ultimate TV i would keep forever! This TV still has this tinting and to be honest it is a much bigger problem than anything else the reviews brought up. They write about the motion, it's good enough, they write about the sharpness/noise reduction, it's sharp enough, they write about the handling of SD material.. you get the idea it's good enough, it's just this tint that keeps annoying me. If someone said to me "You won't get a better set, all have this tint" I would be happy with it but the feeling that I might exchange it and get a better one haunts my mind But at the same time, I might get a worse one so.. it's really a lottery!
post #1115 of 3621 Old 02-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes I understand, you don't want to go looking for issues cause when you do, it's hard to unsee them I like my set in most viewing, and it is a very good upgrade compared to my old plasma. The only thing that concerns me is if I can get the same set but without the issues I'm seeing now.. now that would be the ultimate TV i would keep forever! This TV still has this tinting and to be honest it is a much bigger problem than anything else the reviews brought up. They write about the motion, it's good enough, they write about the sharpness/noise reduction, it's sharp enough, they write about the handling of SD material.. you get the idea it's good enough, it's just this tint that keeps annoying me. If someone said to me "You won't get a better set, all have this tint" I would be happy with it but the feeling that I might exchange it and get a better one haunts my mind But at the same time, I might get a worse one so.. it's really a lottery!
I completely agree,

and motion isn't a problem unless flicker free is troubling to your eye. Barring that, its perfect motion with no ghosting or blur at all
Banding doesn't even bother me

It is the tint, I'm always sensitive to that stuff, particularly non uniform tint. And it seems to be pretty neglected by reviewers, professional and amateurs.
Look at 3:19, the tint is so obvious!

I'd say if you're apprehensive, and have the cash/credit on a credit card, try another set and keep the better of the two?

It seems like A LOT and perhaps even majority 9100's look like that, be it on the left side or right. I also wonder if it's the coating used on the screen, since off-axis it seems to vanish
post #1116 of 3621 Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I completely agree,

and motion isn't a problem unless flicker free is troubling to your eye. Barring that, its perfect motion with no ghosting or blur at all
Banding doesn't even bother me

It is the tint, I'm always sensitive to that stuff, particularly non uniform tint. And it seems to be pretty neglected by reviewers, professional and amateurs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ge8vhBgEdM
Look at 3:19, the tint is so obvious!

I'd say if you're apprehensive, and have the cash/credit on a credit card, try another set and keep the better of the two?

It seems like A LOT and perhaps even majority 9100's look like that, be it on the left side or right. I also wonder if it's the coating used on the screen, since off-axis it seems to vanish
Holy **** ! In that video it is really obvious! I guess I should count myself lucky, cause my TV is no where near that bad For me, if there is only white on the right side, it still looks white. The times when I can see it is when I can compare against the right side, such as a shot of an all white building or a really white sky backdrop.
post #1117 of 3621 Old 02-04-2016, 08:16 AM

I think my 9100 is going back. Saw Return of the King today and it was shockingly bad. Walls, helmets, skies, mountains, weapons and orcs were tinted on the right. Still this is how all 9100 I've seen in stores and on the net look like. Mine looks pretty much like that grey uniformity picture on rtings.com. How review sites can overlook this is just mind boggling. Color accuracy isn't important anymore? White can be red on half of the screen without problem? It's also very interesting how some calibrators have argued that the tint can be calibrated away. As if the TV allows calibration of different zones, so I can choose the right third of the screen and remove the red from just there lol. Also the tint is visible even with color set at 0, so it isn't affected by settings. Lesson for me: listen to users, not to calibrators/reviewers who are basically just doing marketing.
post #1118 of 3621 Old 02-04-2016, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

I'd say if you're toying with the idea of returning it, best to return it.

It's a lot of $ to spend for something that bothers you. That'd probably annoy me on a cheap set too, to be honest.
post #1119 of 3621 Old 02-04-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I'd say if you're toying with the idea of returning it, best to return it.

It's a lot of $ to spend for something that bothers you. That'd probably annoy me on a cheap set too, to be honest.
Yeah I'm probably going to do it. It's a shame cause there's so much to like about the TV, but when it can't get the basics done right it just bothers me too much. I guess the later manufactured 930V's are pretty good, the picture you showed me was truly excellent Don't know if I can find one of those. To be honest, i would even buy a store demo of one of these OLED TVs if it didn't have the tint. The tint is my only gripe with this TV, everything else is so amazing, but it's hard to overlook when half of the screen is red. It really looks ridiculous in some scenes

It boggles my mind how reviewers failed to mention this, even in early reviews of even more expensive OLEDs with even more extreme tint. For example, you have a really good 930V (the best I've seen, based on that pic) but this is how the first batch looked like, and still the review site didn't even mention the tint:

http://www.ljudochbild.se/wp-content.../P9092324r.jpg

How this would look in Return of the king I don't even want to imagine Same thing with EA980W reviews, the pictures in the reviews show extreme magenta tint, but it is not mentoined. It¨s like don't mention the war or the emperors new clothes.

This is an interesting topic in itself. Why won't reviewers bring up the tint issue as the main issue with this TV? Are they afraid it might kill OLED in the cradle? Is LG powerful enough to have reviewers under their tumb?
post #1120 of 3621 Old 02-04-2016, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

^ Yikes yeah, that picture is awful!

I unfortunately don't think there's a rhyme or reason to mfr date and model.

I think 9300 and 9100 is a crap shoot almost equally, 9300 may be less of one in my skeptical opinion since I'm sure as popularity and demand goes up, they're pumping them out even more without regard for nitpicky-ness. Coupled with cheaping out on some features that were in 9300, but that may not have any bearing on screen tint in particular. I also just think this because of the rtings samples of 9300 and 9100, with that Skyfall pic, 9300 looks way better! (That's not to say there aren't ugly 9300's out there though, theres a whole thread of tint with tons of posts on another forum,)

For example, my 9100 was 510 (mfr date of October 2015), one that people said on here was less prone to issues, but still had them.

My 9300 being 509 (September 2015) and end of run of 9300, maybe it helped maybe it didn't.

I think it purely boils down to luck,
post #1121 of 3621 Old 02-05-2016, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All. Just went through this thread, but I probably missed it. How do I check my build? Just purchased this TV fro the eBay Adorama deal. Caught one pixel that has trouble displaying blue/purple. It's lit, but there's definitely an issue with it.
post #1122 of 3621 Old 02-05-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEric00 View Post
Hi All. Just went through this thread, but I probably missed it. How do I check my build?
First 3 digits of your serial number.
post #1123 of 3621 Old 02-05-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Thanks, DanF8500. Looks like I have a 509

Running all tests tonight to see if there are any other issues.
post #1124 of 3621 Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks, DanF8500. Looks like I have a 509

Running all tests tonight to see if there are any other issues.
post #1125 of 3621 Old 02-06-2016, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok this is probably a dumb questions so be gentle. I have a Samsung UN55B8500 which was a top of the line local dimming led set 5-6 years ago. It's still working great and looks good. At the time I bought it the tv was a top performer and everyone that came over was/is wowed by it. Am I going to notice a large difference between this and the LG 9100?
post #1126 of 3621 Old 02-06-2016, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseybp View Post
Ok this is probably a dumb questions so be gentle. I have a Samsung UN55B8500 which was a top of the line local dimming led set 5-6 years ago. It's still working great and looks good. At the time I bought it the tv was a top performer and everyone that came over was/is wowed by it. Am I going to notice a large difference between this and the LG 9100?
It might be hard to tell because this TV has full array local dimming. however that particular model is well over 5 years old. I'm also reading that it doesn't have great viewing angles. If you got the cash this LG OLED TV would probably be a really big upgrade. I personally would never buy an LCD TV ever again.

I would say it would depend on what you watch. Are you watching in a dark room? If you do then the answer is yes you will see the difference.Are you watching Blu rays or high quality streaming from a Roku box or Apple TV? Then yes. If you typically watch TV in a bright room then you might not see the difference .

Watching movies from your satellite or cable box might be a different story since those signals typically are much more compressed and an OLED TV will actually expose those defects of much more than an LCD TV.

If you like to play games then you might not want an OLED TV since there is image retention and/or burn possibilities.
post #1127 of 3621 Old 02-06-2016, 11:16 PM

Is this what a 509 build with ISF Expert 1 settings is supposed to look like at 02-5% grey? Those horizontal lines at the top and bottom are really noticeable during some movies...sorry in advance for the pixel quality but I managed to capture the lines. The right side is a little darker than the left (but not as dark as pictures). Main concern are those top and bottom lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	isf expert 1 settings.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1235649  
post #1128 of 3621 Old 02-06-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Is this what a 509 build with ISF Expert 1 settings is supposed to look like at 02-5% grey? Those horizontal lines at the top and bottom are really noticeable during some movies...sorry in advance for the pixel quality but I managed to capture the lines. The right side is a little darker than the left (but not as dark as pictures). Main concern are those top and bottom lines.
Also have an issue with two pixels. One won't display blue, the other won't display green and yellow. Not noticeable, just bothered by knowing there are issues out of the box. Thanks in advance for your input.
post #1129 of 3621 Old 02-06-2016, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With regards to your horizontal lines(bars) at top/bottom of your screen, it looks like you have some image retention from playing movies with 2.35:1 aspect ratios. I don't really see anything else out of the ordinary there. Image retention will happen if you're playing lots of "made for theatre" movies, where the top and bottom of your display will stay dark during the entire show. There are a few more ways image retention can happen on a tv, but there's no need to elaborate on that right now. Actual burn in could eventually happen if the same image retention artifacts on your screen don't fade away thru varying your viewing content from time to time (i.e. playing actual HD content that utilizes entire screen).

Last edited by DanF8500; 02-06-2016 at 11:56 PM.
post #1130 of 3621 Old 02-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
With regards to your horizontal lines(bars) at top/bottom of your screen, it looks like you have some image retention from playing movies with 2.35:1 aspect ratios. I don't really see anything else out of the ordinary there. Image retention will happen if you're playing lots of "made for theatre" movies, where the top and bottom of your display will stay dark during the entire show. There are a few more ways image retention can happen on a tv, but there's no need to elaborate on that right now. Actual burn in could eventually happen if the same image retention artifacts on your screen don't fade away thru varying your viewing content from time to time (i.e. playing actual HD content that utilizes entire screen).
Thanks! That's very strange because I've only played two movies since I received the TV this past Thursday. The image retention is still there as of now, and it has been over 24 hours since that aspect ration was last viewed on the TV. It is turned off when not in use.
post #1131 of 3621 Old 02-07-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrathor View Post
Im considering buying one, but if this is still an issue that would be a dealbreaker, as i watch a lot of content off usb stick (720/1080p).

I couldnt fint it mentioned very often in this thread, is this still an issue that has not been adressed through firmware?
I just remuxed Tomorrowland BD to MKV and played it through the TV. I had no issues with judder or frames dropping during high action scenes. It was as smooth as through the BD player. The tv was able to extract the DTS core and send over ARC from the DTS HD track. It is around 27Mbps average bitrate with spikes to 40Mbit. I chose this title due to it being one of the sharpest BDs ever produced. It couldn't read the PGS based subs though.

I tried a similar remux with BD with a TrueHD track and it did not play. It tried to load but just hung on the video player. I also tried various 4K files of differing codecs and containers and it said that it couldn't read any of them.

Code:
Disc Title: TOMORROWLAND
Disc Size: 46,714,507,480 bytes
Protection: AACS
BD-Java: Yes
Playlist: 00800.MPLS
Size: 34,995,892,224 bytes
Length: 2:10:03.295
Total Bitrate: 35.88 Mbps
Video: MPEG-4 AVC Video / 26682 kbps / 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1
Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 7.1 / 48 kHz / 4839 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)
Audio: English / Dolby Digital Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 320 kbps / Dolby Surround
Audio: French / Dolby Digital Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps
Audio: Spanish / Dolby Digital Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps
Audio: Portuguese / Dolby Digital Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps
Subtitle: English / 33.071 kbps
Subtitle: French / 28.113 kbps
Subtitle: Spanish / 27.701 kbps
Subtitle: Portuguese / 26.715 kbps
Subtitle: French / 0.169 kbps
Subtitle: Spanish / 0.111 kbps
Subtitle: Portuguese / 0.195 kbps

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #1132 of 3621 Old 02-07-2016, 01:15 PM

I'm seeing a strange effect in DVD movies, if someone is walking towards a house or bicycling, it seems like the picture "jumps" a bit and skips a frame or so. Is this the judder reviewers have been writing about? I only see it in DVD movies so far. Any fix for this? I'm using trumotion user, de-blur 5 and de-judder 1.

EDIT: Turned off trumotion and it seems to have fixed the issue Also I think a more correct term for what I saw would be artifacts / uneven motion. Motion is fine now and I'm a happy camper

Last edited by GordonFreeman; 02-07-2016 at 02:30 PM.
post #1133 of 3621 Old 02-07-2016, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I'm seeing a strange effect in DVD movies, if someone is walking towards a house or bicycling, it seems like the picture "jumps" a bit and skips a frame or so. Is this the judder reviewers have been writing about? I only see it in DVD movies so far. Any fix for this? I'm using trumotion user, de-blur 5 and de-judder 1.

EDIT: Turned off trumotion and it seems to have fixed the issue Also I think a more correct term for what I saw would be artifacts / uneven motion. Motion is fine now and I'm a happy camper
Interesting I find that turning Tru Motion off is what causes that issue to come up.
post #1134 of 3621 Old 02-07-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjack View Post
Interesting I find that turning Tru Motion off is what causes that issue to come up.
Puzzling

I did change some settings on my bluray player as well, such as output always set to 24 fps. Not sure if it has had any effect. I've never had problems with these kinds of artifact in 1080p material, only on DVDs where I could see many times today. Looks flawless now! It had me worried for a while.. still have most of my films on DVDs
post #1135 of 3621 Old 02-07-2016, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Puzzling

I did change some settings on my bluray player as well, such as output always set to 24 fps. Not sure if it has had any effect. I've never had problems with these kinds of artifact in 1080p material, only on DVDs where I could see many times today. Looks flawless now! It had me worried for a while.. still have most of my films on DVDs
Thats because dvds arent supposed to be rendered at 24fps(through blu ray player) When forcing dvds to play at 24p with my Oppo, it screws up any tv I watch. Trumotion is to be set at 2 and 10 when playing blu ray. Some people get away with 2 and 9, but 2 and 10 will perform correct cadence.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region

Last edited by Dianabol5mg; 02-07-2016 at 03:19 PM.
post #1136 of 3621 Old 02-07-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:

It could be a combination of your true motion settings and the source video. I generally have mine at de-blur 10 and de-judder 2.

Remember when you have these settings on the TV is inventing frames to try to make the motion smoother. I would turn it off if you're watching a Blu ray with 24 frame source
post #1137 of 3621 Old 02-07-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks! That's very strange because I've only played two movies since I received the TV this past Thursday. The image retention is still there as of now, and it has been over 24 hours since that aspect ration was last viewed on the TV. It is turned off when not in use.
It should go away if you play full screen content. I don't think it'll go away by just turning it off. I also get those little retention artifacts but you can only see them in really dark slides. In my experience they go away much quicker then a plasma TV.
post #1138 of 3621 Old 02-08-2016, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just got my new TV set up this weekend and I am bummed out, the first thing I saw was a black and white movie and the movie was black, white and red. Then watched some snowmobile racing on snow and you can see the red tint on the whole left third of the screen and some on the right of the screen. Same thing when watching golf or basketball, only the middle third of the screen has the correct colors with no tinting. I did a quick calibration of ISF1 with the AVS HD709 files and that did not seem to help. The picture is very good compared to my old Pioneer Plasma but the red tint really sticks out in a lot of tv content. So please tell me that it will reduce some as the TV burns in or that some adjustment may minimize it.

Panel is 509 and my quick calibration settings are:
OLED 54
Contrast 90
Brightness 60
Color 45
Gamma 2.2

I also got a new TiVo Roamio OTA that I am setting up and have not been able to get the TiVo to pass Dolby Digital over HDMI to the TV and have the TV output Dolby Digital to my AV receiver over optical. My Onkyo receiver is older and does not have HDMI switching so I was hoping to use the TV as the HDMI switch to my other components, but since it won’t pass Dolby Digital I have had to use an optical cable from the TiVo to my receiver. I understand that many TV’s cannot pass DD from HDMI input to optical output so I guess that is the case for this TV. The TV’s built in tuner does pass DD to my receiver via optical, just not from an HDMI input. I still have a PC to connect so will see if it can pass DD over HDMI thru the TV.

I am also unsure which is better, having the TiVo upconvert various video resolutions and output just 1080p to the TV or have the TiVo output all resolutions (no upconvert) and have the TV do the upconversion. I have the TV doing the upconversion for now, but not sure what is best way to go.

One last thing, I like to put all my manuals on my Samsung Android tablet for reference, but I can’t get the LG User Guide to work. It is an HTML file not a pdf, I can download it and open it with Chrome on the tablet and select various pages but the scroll bar for paging down or up does not work. Tried both downloading the HTML file and accessing it via the web and neither works. The file works properly on my laptop with windows.
post #1139 of 3621 Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_q View Post
It should go away if you play full screen content. I don't think it'll go away by just turning it off. I also get those little retention artifacts but you can only see them in really dark slides. In my experience they go away much quicker then a plasma TV.
Thank you, it did eventually go away after some gaming and watching several blu-ray episodes of The Wire. Do you think those two stuck pixels are worth an exchange of the TV? They are unnoticeable, but at the same time I feel cheated that it isn't 'perfect' out of the box. I purchased it through the Adorama/ebay deal.
post #1140 of 3621 Old 02-08-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you, it did eventually go away after some gaming and watching several blu-ray episodes of The Wire. Do you think those two stuck pixels are worth an exchange of the TV? They are unnoticeable, but at the same time I feel cheated that it isn't 'perfect' out of the box. I purchased it through the Adorama/ebay deal.
I'm glad those horizontal bars/lines you described earlier went away for you once you started viewing regular HD content on your tv. On the question of dead/stuck pixels, I know tv manufacturers have an "allowable" limit for the number of dead/stuck pixels before claiming the tv defective. For LG, I don't know what that number is, but I have a feeling 2 stuck/dead pixels is within their allowable zone. A couple years ago, I had a few stuck/dead pixels on my new plasma tv, and within a week of viewing content, the pixels "unstuck". Not sure if this will happen to your pixels if you give it more viewing hrs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
2015 - 2016 lg 55eg9100 "full" 1080p hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page