Official 2015-2016 LG 55EG9100 OLED "full" 1080p HDTV. - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 716Likes

post #1141 of 3621 Old 02-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
Just got my new TV set up this weekend and I am bummed out, the first thing I saw was a black and white movie and the movie was black, white and red. Then watched some snowmobile racing on snow and you can see the red tint on the whole left third of the screen and some on the right of the screen. Same thing when watching golf or basketball, only the middle third of the screen has the correct colors with no tinting. I did a quick calibration of ISF1 with the AVS HD709 files and that did not seem to help. The picture is very good compared to my old Pioneer Plasma but the red tint really sticks out in a lot of tv content. So please tell me that it will reduce some as the TV burns in or that some adjustment may minimize it.

Panel is 509 and my quick calibration settings are:
OLED 54
Contrast 90
Brightness 60
Color 45
Gamma 2.2

I also got a new TiVo Roamio OTA that I am setting up and have not been able to get the TiVo to pass Dolby Digital over HDMI to the TV and have the TV output Dolby Digital to my AV receiver over optical. My Onkyo receiver is older and does not have HDMI switching so I was hoping to use the TV as the HDMI switch to my other components, but since it won’t pass Dolby Digital I have had to use an optical cable from the TiVo to my receiver. I understand that many TV’s cannot pass DD from HDMI input to optical output so I guess that is the case for this TV. The TV’s built in tuner does pass DD to my receiver via optical, just not from an HDMI input. I still have a PC to connect so will see if it can pass DD over HDMI thru the TV.

I am also unsure which is better, having the TiVo upconvert various video resolutions and output just 1080p to the TV or have the TiVo output all resolutions (no upconvert) and have the TV do the upconversion. I have the TV doing the upconversion for now, but not sure what is best way to go.

One last thing, I like to put all my manuals on my Samsung Android tablet for reference, but I can’t get the LG User Guide to work. It is an HTML file not a pdf, I can download it and open it with Chrome on the tablet and select various pages but the scroll bar for paging down or up does not work. Tried both downloading the HTML file and accessing it via the web and neither works. The file works properly on my laptop with windows.
Is this a 509 build from the recent Adorama sale on eBay? That's unfortunate, sounds just like my open box 9100 build 510 I ended up returning

My 509 9300 is great though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 3621 Old 02-08-2016, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Just got my new TV set up this weekend and I am bummed out, the first thing I saw was a black and white movie and the movie was black, white and red. Then watched some snowmobile racing on snow and you can see the red tint on the whole left third of the screen and some on the right of the screen. So please tell me that it will reduce some as the TV burns in or that some adjustment may minimize it.
Sorry to hear about the red tint issue on your display. I just got a 601 build 9100 and do not have the red tinting you speak of.

Quote:
I also got a new TiVo Roamio OTA that I am setting up and have not been able to get the TiVo to pass Dolby Digital over HDMI to the TV and have the TV output Dolby Digital to my AV receiver over optical. My Onkyo receiver is older and does not have HDMI switching so I was hoping to use the TV as the HDMI switch to my other components, but since it won’t pass Dolby Digital I have had to use an optical cable from the TiVo to my receiver. I understand that many TV’s cannot pass DD from HDMI input to optical output so I guess that is the case for this TV. The TV’s built in tuner does pass DD to my receiver via optical, just not from an HDMI input. I still have a PC to connect so will see if it can pass DD over HDMI thru the TV.
If I set my Verizon FIOS DVR to output the "Pass Thru" option on its hdmi output setting (hidden menu), I can get DD output out of the tv's optical cable. Somehow, setting this option in my FIOS DVR bypasses the tv's HDCP (High Density Content Protection).

Quote:
I am also unsure which is better, having the TiVo upconvert various video resolutions and output just 1080p to the TV or have the TiVo output all resolutions (no upconvert) and have the TV do the upconversion. I have the TV doing the upconversion for now, but not sure what is best way to go.
I think the setting that looks best to "your" eyes will be the optimum setting for you. Using the Tivo's native resolution output, and allowing tv to upconvert/de-interlace would be my choice.

Quote:
One last thing, I like to put all my manuals on my Samsung Android tablet for reference, but I can’t get the LG User Guide to work. It is an HTML file not a pdf, I can download it and open it with Chrome on the tablet and select various pages but the scroll bar for paging down or up does not work. Tried both downloading the HTML file and accessing it via the web and neither works. The file works properly on my laptop with windows.
It looks like LG does not have a pdf version of their Users Guide (only the Owner's Manual). The html-based users guide is quite interactive and menu driven. I can't recall another piece of electronics I have owned with an html-based only guide.

Last edited by DanF8500; 02-08-2016 at 10:47 AM.
post #1143 of 3621 Old 02-08-2016, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
I'm glad those horizontal bars/lines you described earlier went away for you once you started viewing regular HD content on your tv. On the question of dead/stuck pixels, I know tv manufacturers have an "allowable" limit for the number of dead/stuck pixels before claiming the tv defective. For LG, I don't know what that number is, but I have a feeling 2 stuck/dead pixels is within their allowable zone. A couple years ago, I had a few stuck/dead pixels on my new plasma tv, and within a week of viewing content, the pixels "unstuck". Not sure if this will happen to your pixels if you give it more viewing hrs.
Thanks for giving me peace of mind with that. I suppose I'll hang onto it for now, it was a great deal, and setting up a return/exchange via shipping will be a nightmare. I'm also blown away by the 3D! I watched The Mask 3-D (1961) and The Bubble 3-D, I wasn't expecting the in home technology to be so superior. It looked amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 3621 Old 02-08-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEric00 View Post
Thanks for giving me peace of mind with that. I suppose I'll hang onto it for now, it was a great deal, and setting up a return/exchange via shipping will be a nightmare. I'm also blown away by the 3D! I watched The Mask 3-D (1961) and The Bubble 3-D, I wasn't expecting the in home technology to be so superior. It looked amazing.
I was blown away by the 3D of this tv too, a few days ago. I watched a "Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventure" with some family, and I felt like I could touch some of the cartoon animals/fishes/water etc in front of my face! No brightness pops issues either, like I was seeing with my plasma display viewing 3D media.
post #1145 of 3621 Old 02-08-2016, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Just got my new TV set up this weekend and I am bummed out, the first thing I saw was a black and white movie and the movie was black, white and red. Then watched some snowmobile racing on snow and you can see the red tint on the whole left third of the screen and some on the right of the screen. Same thing when watching golf or basketball, only the middle third of the screen has the correct colors with no tinting. I did a quick calibration of ISF1 with the AVS HD709 files and that did not seem to help. The picture is very good compared to my old Pioneer Plasma but the red tint really sticks out in a lot of tv content. So please tell me that it will reduce some as the TV burns in or that some adjustment may minimize it.

Panel is 509 and my quick calibration settings are:
OLED 54
Contrast 90
Brightness 60
Color 45
Gamma 2.2

Terrestrial

Yeah I have the same tinting effect on mine, but it's mosly invisible but can be seen clearly on white backdrops, mists, snow among other things.

I don't believe it is possible to get one without this effect though. That's based on the fact that I have never seen one in real life without it (and i've seen plenty) and more importantly, i have never seen a picture of a white screen on these oleds that doesn't have tint/color bands. How visible it is in real life content is another deal, but on a full white picture it will never be white all over. There is a calibrator on another forum that swore his 960 had no tint, but on an all white picture I could easily make it out (it was very similar to same model I tested at home before return it).

This seems to be a limitation of the techonology at this point. So on a full white backdrop like in the ending scenes of the movie "The Mist" or the white mountains in the end of "Chronicle" you will see it because there is a lot of white on the screen and these OLEDS have colored bands. However in most normal content you should not see half of the screen being red, then you have excessive tint and should return it or call up LG

I'm kind of debating with myself whether I should accept this flaw or wait for the OLED tech to mature and not have this issue. It might take years though before the tech is mature AND at the good price point the 9100 is at today.

Update: If you're seeing it in basketball and golf it is definitely too much. I'm annoyed at my tint but I only see it where the whole screen is supposed to be white, like Mist and snowy Mountain scenes.

Last edited by GordonFreeman; 02-09-2016 at 12:22 AM.
post #1146 of 3621 Old 02-09-2016, 03:54 AM

This is how The Mist looks on mine. Every scene with a lot of white looks like this. It's a shame but it's been like this or worse on every OLED i've seen. Don't think a clean one exists...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mist02.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1240369   Click image for larger version

Name:	mist01.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1240377  
post #1147 of 3621 Old 02-09-2016, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
Is this a 509 build from the recent Adorama sale on eBay? That's unfortunate, sounds just like my open box 9100 build 510 I ended up returning

My 509 9300 is great though
This TV is from the current Costco sale and was shipped new from their warehouse in Atlanta. I was hoping they had newer stock, but 509 is what I got.
post #1148 of 3621 Old 02-09-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
If I set my Verizon FIOS DVR to output the "Pass Thru" option on its hdmi output setting (hidden menu), I can get DD output out of the tv's optical cable. Somehow, setting this option in my FIOS DVR bypasses the tv's HDCP (High Density Content Protection).
The TiVo has a 1080p pass through only output option, I tried that and still don't get the DD to pass through the TV. I guess I will try a post on the tivocommunity board for suggestions since you are able to get it to work with FIOS DVR.
post #1149 of 3621 Old 02-09-2016, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
This TV is from the current Costco sale and was shipped new from their warehouse in Atlanta. I was hoping they had newer stock, but 509 is what I got.
"This TV is from the current Costco sale and was shipped new from their warehouse in Atlanta. I was hoping they had newer stock, but 509 is what I got."

I have been debating playing the lottery panel game again for the fourth time. The first two panels with yellow tinting on the right (509 build) and one with pink red tinting on the left (601 build). I've gone to 3 different Costcos in the northern virginia area and they seem to only carry 509s. I suspect Costco purchased a large shipment of September builds.

Last edited by MarcDBecker; 02-09-2016 at 09:26 AM.
post #1150 of 3621 Old 02-09-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post
This is how The Mist looks on mine. Every scene with a lot of white looks like this. It's a shame but it's been like this or worse on every OLED i've seen. Don't think a clean one exists...
I looked at some other images on the forum and it seems a lot of people have this tint issue, but it really bugs me that is is so visible in much tv content. I attached a photo shot during daylight so it doesn't show as much tint as what I see. Pink tint mainly on left, some on right. This was with a 100% white file and it almost seems as though the middle is blue instead of white also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pink mist.JPG
Views:	1081
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	1240505  
post #1151 of 3621 Old 02-09-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
I looked at some other images on the forum and it seems a lot of people have this tint issue, but it really bugs me that is is so visible in much tv content. I attached a photo shot during daylight so it doesn't show as much tint as what I see. Pink tint mainly on left, some on right. This was with a 100% white file and it almost seems as though the middle is blue instead of white also.
Yes it bugs me too. Below are more examples of tint I've seen in stores and the 920V I had at home. I also had 2 930Vs at home that I sent back because of the tint, but I have no pictures of them unfortunately.

Overall I feel this is the achilles heel of the Oleds, but it is rarely mentioned in reviews despite pictures in those reviews showing even more severe tint than the ones I'm posting here.

To be fair I've seen even some of the best plasmas (for example panasonic vt60) having magenta tint, but the difference is that it is less intense and spread out across the screen on those plasmas. The problem with the Oleds is that the tint appears in bands, which makes it look so hideous because the screen looks so divided and the tints of the different parts can reinforce each other. For example in the TV with the birds below, the green/yellow cast of the right side makes the left side look even more pink and vice versa. Same with my TV at home
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	store1.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	1240729   Click image for larger version

Name:	lg1 uni.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1240737   Click image for larger version

Name:	store002.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	1240769  

Last edited by GordonFreeman; 02-09-2016 at 05:58 AM.
post #1152 of 3621 Old 02-09-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDBecker View Post
"This TV is from the current Costco sale and was shipped new from their warehouse in Atlanta. I was hoping they had newer stock, but 509 is what I got."

I have been debating playing the lottery panel game again for the fourth time. The first two panels with yellow tinting on the right (509 build) and one with pink red tinting on the left (601 build). I've gone to 3 different Costcos in the northern virginia area and they seem to only carry 509s in my area. I suspect Costco purchased a large shipment from the September builds.
My local Costco in Minneapolis doesn't stock this model so I had to order it online and hope for the best. Also makes it harder to return/exchange since they don't stock it local but at least I have 90 days to decide. I do have to say that I don't have any bad pixels and don't notice any of the banding issues others seem to have. But I haven't gone hunting for the banding either since I don't see it in content.
post #1153 of 3621 Old 02-10-2016, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
My local Costco in Minneapolis doesn't stock this model so I had to order it online and hope for the best. Also makes it harder to return/exchange since they don't stock it local but at least I have 90 days to decide. I do have to say that I don't have any bad pixels and don't notice any of the banding issues others seem to have. But I haven't gone hunting for the banding either since I don't see it in content.
Mine is a 509 build I have no banding or dimples. On a hd content it is stunning on non he content it is over saturated with a magenta color olong with espnhd from directv c61 k receiver. But blue ray and 1080i content simply stunning.
post #1154 of 3621 Old 02-10-2016, 11:37 PM

Enjoy my latest pictures of my LG 55EG910V in action.

This makes me wonder how Rtings.com can think that "Varying luminosity depending on the scene (ABL)" and "reflections in a very bright room" are worth mentioning as cons but not this tint (it's visible on their review sample). I trusted the review cause I didn't think it would look this bad in real life

I also mailed out to some review sites and asked about how they look at the tint vs the other issues, and I got some interesting answers, such as:

1) Uniformity on LCD/LEDs are still worse. Some plasma TVs had color blobs over them as well.
2) Uniformity is not the most important criteria for a good picture. Contrast and black levels are.
3) The OLEDS mostly have pink/red tint, which is not so problematic because we aim for a warmer color temperature anyway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	t_bk1.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1245673   Click image for larger version

Name:	t_kb2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1245681   Click image for larger version

Name:	t_killbill01.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1245689  

Last edited by GordonFreeman; 02-11-2016 at 12:09 AM.
post #1155 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Enjoy my latest pictures of my LG 55EG910V in action.

This makes me wonder how Rtings.com can think that "Varying luminosity depending on the scene (ABL)" and "reflections in a very bright room" are worth mentioning as cons but not this tint (it's visible on their review sample). I trusted the review cause I didn't think it would look this bad in real life

I also mailed out to some review sites and asked about how they look at the tint vs the other issues, and I got some interesting answers, such as:

1) Uniformity on LCD/LEDs are still worse. Some plasma TVs had color blobs over them as well.
2) Uniformity is not the most important criteria for a good picture. Contrast and black levels are.
3) The OLEDS mostly have pink/red tint, which is not so problematic because we aim for a warmer color temperature anyway.
Mine is just as bad, the whole left third of mine is pink tint like your right third. I am contemplating returning it for like a JS8500 but will do a lot more reading on it and seeing it in person before making the move and just ending up with a bunch of other PQ issues. My old Pioneer plasma didn't have any uniformity issues.
post #1156 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 06:00 AM

I think I'm going to return mine too. Just fired up my old TV from 2011 (bought for less than a third of the price of the 9100) just to compare the uniformity, and the difference is laughable.

Just look at how uniform that plasma screenshot looks, and it is even better in real life. Oled to the left, plasma to the right.

The plasma has no visible tint, even if it isn't calibrated and certainly doesn't have the best color accuracy in the world.

The OLED just looks like a green and red watermelon. A MESS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	t_killbill01.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1245785   Click image for larger version

Name:	pl12.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1245793  

Last edited by GordonFreeman; 02-11-2016 at 06:07 AM.
post #1157 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
This whole thread has be disappointed. I was ready to pull the trigger on the 9100 today after reading so many good things but after ready the last few pages, I'm not sure what to do. My choice was down to the LG 9100 or Samsung JS8500.
post #1158 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbutter66 View Post
This whole thread has be disappointed. I was ready to pull the trigger on the 9100 today after reading so many good things but after ready the last few pages, I'm not sure what to do. My choice was down to the LG 9100 or Samsung JS8500.
It could be worth it if you are lucky to a good panel but the risk is pretty big that you will get pink and green tint all over the panel. Reviewers and calibrators don't seem to be as concerned with screen uniformity and correct colors across the panel but for many users in this thread, including me, it is a big eyesore
post #1159 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
It could be worth it if you are lucky to a good panel but the risk is pretty big that you will get pink and green tint all over the panel. Reviewers and calibrators don't seem to be as concerned with screen uniformity and correct colors across the panel but for many users in this thread, including me, it is a big eyesore
Yea, I am by no means an enthusiast when it comes to these kind of things, but the pictures people were posting just looked awful. Absolutely awful.

Do you have any experience with the JS8500? I'm not sure if I should get this or wait 2-3 months to see if anything new comes out. The reviews for this TV are amazing as well, but after trusting the 9100 reviews and then coming to this thread, I don't know what to believe anymore. My max budget is $2k and unfortunately it has to be a TV sold on Dell.com (I have a HUGE gift card to there).
post #1160 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:
Yea, I am by no means an enthusiast when it comes to these kind of things, but the pictures people were posting just looked awful. Absolutely awful.

Do you have any experience with the JS8500? I'm not sure if I should get this or wait 2-3 months to see if anything new comes out. The reviews for this TV are amazing as well, but after trusting the 9100 reviews and then coming to this thread, I don't know what to believe anymore. My max budget is $2k and unfortunately it has to be a TV sold on Dell.com (I have a HUGE gift card to there).

I have the 9100 510 build purchased from HH Gregg in early January, I have no noticeable uniformity issues or tinting. My set has been professionally calibrated and have no complaints so far. Only minor complaint would be some slightly jerky motion at times. Take what you read here with a grain of salt, not discrediting anyone that has posted with issues. You can find problems with any set if you go looking for them.

I had the JS9500 which was an absolutely outstanding set, the JS8500 is a good one also but it is edge lit. If you watch a lot of content in a dark environment I don't think you will be satisfied with it. Also the viewing angles are narrow. Depends on your picture quality priorities. I think the money it is hard to beat the 9100. Just my 2 cents.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #1161 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was a plasma guy for years (never bought an LED), but when my flagship Samsung Plasma display (F8500) screen became permanently damaged, in addition to the future of plasma being dead, I decided to go OLED. The 9100 has an overall much better picture than my plasma display ever had. The shading/blacks/contrast on the 9100 create a truly realistic, 3 dimensional-like, 2D image, in either a bright or pitch black room. As far as uniformity, my plasma had horizontal reddish/pink bands running near the bottom of the screen, which was much more annoying than anything I can see on my 9100. I think it all factors down to what you have been used to watching for the past few years when comparing your old picture to this 9100. I'm so glad I made the switch to OLED. Even though some forumites on this thread have been overemphasizing the pinkish/magenta prominence of the 9100's on a white background, I have no problem with it whatsoever...what I'm seeing on my 9100 display is a non issue. I'm a hockey fan too (Go Kings), and I have enjoyed watching hockey for the past month on my 9100. I also watched a Flix movie a few weeks ago called Sin City(lots of black and white scenes), and the 9100 produced a beautiful picture....amazing contrast ratios! My plasma never looked as good as this OLED does.

Last edited by DanF8500; 02-11-2016 at 08:35 AM.
post #1162 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I was a plasma guy for years (never bought an LED), but when my flagship Samsung Plasma display (F8500) screen became permanently damaged, in addition to the future of plasma being dead, I decided to go OLED. The 9100 has an overall much better picture than my plasma display ever had. The shading/blacks/contrast on the 9100 create a truly realistic, 3 dimensional-like, 2D image, in either a bright or pitch black room. As far as uniformity, my plasma had horizontal reddish/pink bands running near the bottom of the screen, which was much more annoying than anything I can see on my 9100. I think it all factors down to what you have been used to watching for the past few years when comparing your old picture to this 9100. I'm so glad I made the switch to OLED. Even though some forumites on this thread have been overemphasizing the pinkish/magenta prominence of the 9100's on a white background, I have no problem with it whatsoever...what I'm seeing on my display is not bothering me whatsoever. I like watching hockey too (Go Kings), and I have enjoyed watching hockey on my 9100. I watched a Flix movie a few weeks ago called Sin City(lots of black and white scenes), and the 9100 produced a beautiful picture....amazing contrast ratios! My plasma never looked as good as this OLED does.

Dan good points also a former F8500 owner along with VT60 and VT50, the 9100 has all those excellent plasma characteristics but the contrast ratio advantage is obvious. I agree also hockey looks great, go Blackhawks

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #1163 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I was a plasma guy for years (never bought an LED), but when my flagship Samsung Plasma display (F8500) screen became permanently damaged, in addition to the future of plasma being dead, I decided to go OLED. The 9100 has an overall much better picture than my plasma display ever had. The shading/blacks/contrast on the 9100 create a truly realistic, 3 dimensional-like, 2D image, in either a bright or pitch black room. As far as uniformity, my plasma had horizontal reddish/pink bands running near the bottom of the screen, which was much more annoying than anything I can see on my 9100. I think it all factors down to what you have been used to watching for the past few years when comparing your old picture to this 9100. I'm so glad I made the switch to OLED. Even though some forumites on this thread have been overemphasizing the pinkish/magenta prominence of the 9100's on a white background, I have no problem with it whatsoever...what I'm seeing on my 9100 display is a non issue. I'm a hockey fan too (Go Kings), and I have enjoyed watching hockey for the past month on my 9100. I also watched a Flix movie a few weeks ago called Sin City(lots of black and white scenes), and the 9100 produced a beautiful picture....amazing contrast ratios! My plasma never looked as good as this OLED does.
That's very good to hear. I am also a huge hockey fan (Penguins!). I have read some things that say OLED may not be good for watching hockey due to there being so much white on the screen at the time. The rtings.com review that something called ABL was the cause of this. Can you comment on that or give me a little info on your experience with it?
post #1164 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 08:52 AM

Yeah no doubt the 9100 produces the best image you can get today, so nothing is wrong with the image quality as a whole. You need to have some luck though when you buy it or you might end up with one that looks like mine or like other ones several posters have been showing here. I would classicy these sets as "broken" as it looks like something is wrong with the TV, even if LG thinks this is within specifications.

Mine certainly does not look good in black and white content, as you can see on my pictures below. I've now tried 4 Oleds and none of them has had acceptable uniformity in bright content (they all had banding in the shadows as well, but that can be removed by lowering brightness a bit).

If you are guarateed to get a good panel without tint, this set is absolutely wonderful. However I can only think of a few posters here on top of my head who has gotten these panels, most seem affected by it and some even worse than mine. So make sure to buy it from a place with good return policy It's a gamble, a panel lottery.

I'm going to return mine and either try one out later and see if I can get with less tint, or I might just get into the used plasma game until these issues are sorted out. The kind of uniformity you see in my pics below simply is not acceptable to my eyes. I'm coming from a 2011 Plasma TV that was the cheapest 51" plasma you could buy back then, still had none of these uniformity problems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lg55eg9100wc.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1246121   Click image for larger version

Name:	bill02.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1246129   Click image for larger version

Name:	t_store1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	1246137  

Last edited by GordonFreeman; 02-11-2016 at 09:08 AM.
post #1165 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
That's very good to hear. I am also a huge hockey fan (Penguins!). I have read some things that say OLED may not be good for watching hockey due to there being so much white on the screen at the time. The rtings.com review that something called ABL was the cause of this. Can you comment on that or give me a little info on your experience with it?

ABL is there but I wouldn't call it prominent, nowhere near as bad as most plasmas, the F8500 was pretty good in that area but was an exception for plasma. Hockey is going to be brighter on an LED but not necessarily better imo.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A

Last edited by chunon; 02-11-2016 at 09:12 AM.
post #1166 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
ABL is there but I wouldn't call it prominent, no near as bad as most plasmas, the F8500 was pretty good in that area but was an exception for plasma. Hockey is going to be brighter on an LED but not necessarily better imo.
I agree with Chunon on this too! I'm not see anything annoying with regards to the Auto Brightness Limiter circuitry when viewing hockey on my 9100, when compared to what I saw with my F8500. Actually, my 8500 plasma had a much worst condition early on while watching hockey, and the 8500 community called it "brightness pops". A screen with a prominent/near full white background would go thru a series of 3-4 brightness steps(or pops), reducing/increasing overall screen brightness, which was truly annoying for me. After a few firmware upgrades were released, Samsung finally resolved the issue, and I never noticed it again while watching hockey.
post #1167 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, with regards to the rtings.com 9100 calibration page/settings, we all pretty much know that accurate calibrations differ across the same brand of tv, so entering someone else's calibrated setting into your tv may not produce desirable/optimal results for your tv. I don't have my 9100 professionally calibrated yet, but I was able to "dial" in a real nice picture (very pleasing to my eye) with minimal adjustments. After I did this, I decided to compare the rtings.com 9100 settings with mine, and see how they compared. The rtings.com settings produced a truly horrible picture on my 9100. The rtings.com cal settings produced noticeable color flickering in areas of my display, especially in the flesh tones. It was just god-awful.
post #1168 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
I have the 9100 510 build purchased from HH Gregg in early January, I have no noticeable uniformity issues or tinting. My set has been professionally calibrated and have no complaints so far. Only minor complaint would be some slightly jerky motion at times. Take what you read here with a grain of salt, not discrediting anyone that has posted with issues. You can find problems with any set if you go looking for them.

I had the JS9500 which was an absolutely outstanding set, the JS8500 is a good one also but it is edge lit. If you watch a lot of content in a dark environment I don't think you will be satisfied with it. Also the viewing angles are narrow. Depends on your picture quality priorities. I think the money it is hard to beat the 9100. Just my 2 cents.

HI Chunon, why did you decide to get rid of your js9500? Just curious, congrats on the eg9100 set btw.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #1169 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
HI Chunon, why did you decide to get rid of your js9500? Just curious, congrats on the eg9100 set btw.
Yes I sold it , liked it alot but doesnt work in my new place. Love my oled tho much better sense of depth because of the superior contrast ratio imo

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #1170 of 3621 Old 02-11-2016, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
You've got to put it in perspective too. I would think unless it's an egregious issue with the tv you might not notice it 95% of the time. Keep in mind you are on a forum with folks who are super educated on this stuff so something that bothers others on here may not bother you. Heck go find someone looking at tv's in Best Buy and ask them if they know what vignetting(sp?) is, I guarantee probably 99% of them won't have a clue. Case in point, if you go on the Best Buy website and look at the reviews for the 9100 there are 93 reviews with an average 4.9 out of 5.0 stars. You can bet that at least some of these people have screen uniformity issues but most of these people are probably "average" consumers who either don't notice it or don't let it bother them. Personally the next time a good sale comes up I will probably pick one up knowing full well there are risks. All I'm saying is you can pick this tv apart but clearly, based on consumer reviews, there are a lot of people happy with this set. If you can find one in a store close to you go and check it out and mess with it if you can before making a final judgement. Don't let the critical eyes here discourage you as I don't think that is anyone's intent. No tv is 100% perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
2015 - 2016 lg 55eg9100 "full" 1080p hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page