Official 2015-2016 LG 55EG9100 OLED "full" 1080p HDTV. - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 716Likes

post #1261 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_q View Post
This television does have image retention and could lead to burning in just like a plasma. Although I think it's a bit more resistant than plasma. Gaming on the television in my opinion would be an absolute waste. This television is for movies and TV shows and that sorta stuff. If you're really worried about burn in on your panel due to gaming then get a good LCD.
I have a 55" Samsung LED that I will be moving to the bedroom, but been using Xbox One to fuel my LG with blu rays and donthave a standalone blu ray player.
Gaming has been fun on it too so far I'm not super worried cause I don't go on 8 hour benders anymore, but just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
I have a 55" Samsung LED that I will be moving to the bedroom, but been using Xbox One to fuel my LG with blu rays and donthave a standalone blu ray player.
Gaming has been fun on it too so far I'm not super worried cause I don't go on 8 hour benders anymore, but just curious.
I said it was a waste assuming it's going to be used mainly for gaming. If you're not one of these all nighter gamer people I think playing on it for 2 to 3 hours is not a big deal at all. Don't get me wrong. I think games look fabulous on this television. But it would be a shame to burn the panel do the game. enjoy your television!
post #1263 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
I said it was a waste assuming it's going to be used mainly for gaming. If you're not one of these all nighter gamer people I think playing on it for 2 to 3 hours is not a big deal at all. Don't get me wrong. I think games look fabulous on this television. But it would be a shame to burn the panel do the game. enjoy your television!
Thanks for clarifying. Yeah I fit the bill for a casual gamer these days, the max for me is about 2-3 hours per session before I need to do something else. On average, just a few quick rounds of Blackops 3 online

I kinda 'overdosed' on videogames when I was really young, and don't think I'll ever get it back completely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What's a decent 3D blue-Ray player to go with our new set?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
post #1265 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3927 Post(s)
Liked: 3946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseybp View Post
I'm expecting my 9100 in the next week or so. What kind of home calibration media do people use these days? Haven't done a calibration in a long time. I don't need professional calibration, just something to dial it in a little.

Disney Wow is probably the most user friendly, there is AVS709 free in the calibration forum also Spears and Munsil is a good one. The near black picture really needs a professional hand imo.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #1266 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steff3 View Post
What's a decent 3D blue-Ray player to go with our new set?

I am using a Sony BDPS6500. You can pick these up for under $100.00. This particular Sony will play SACD and DVD Audio discs even though they do not really even mention it in the item description. I like the 3D a lot more on the 9100 compared to my Panasonic ST30 I have in the basement. Even with the lower resolution it looks great and the picture does not seem to dim like the active sets and the passive 3D is easier on the eyes.

Last edited by Panic 66; 02-16-2016 at 02:01 PM. Reason: single quote
post #1267 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does it matter if the Disney wow is bd vs DVD? Big difference in price.
post #1268 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic 66 View Post
I am using a Sony BDPS6500. You can pick these up for under $100.00. This particular Sony will play SACD and DVD Audio discs even though they do not really even mention it in the item description. I like the 3D a lot more on the 9100 compared to my Panasonic ST30 I have in the basement. Even with the lower resolution it looks great and the picture does not seem to dim like the active sets and the passive 3D is easier on the eyes.
Thanks! Is this the same one at Costco with a bit of a different model number?

post #1269 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I'm expecting my 9100 in the next week or so. What kind of home calibration media do people use these days? Haven't done a calibration in a long time. I don't need professional calibration, just something to dial it in a little.
I have not really seen anyone list settings using the "Standard" picture mode so I thought I would list mine. This TV is in our living room and is primarily used by my wife and kids to watch their TV shows and to watch Redbox rentals on the weekends. I have a Panasonic ST30 plasma in the basement for movies and PS4 for myself. I tried some of the recommended settings like rtings.com and others but I was looking for a picture with a little more pop for this room. I realize these may not be accurate but they look good and are working well for our viewing.

Pic Mode: Standard
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan
Energy Saving: Off
OLED Light: 55
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 25
Color: 55
Tint: 0
Color Temp: W10
Dynamic Contrast: Low or Off
Color Extension: Medium
Color Gamut: Wide
Super Resolution: Low
Gamma: Medium
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Motion Eye Care: Off
TruMotion: De-Judder 2 De-Blur 10

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3163.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1261001

Last edited by Panic 66; 02-17-2016 at 05:11 PM.
post #1270 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steff3 View Post
Thanks! Is this the same one at Costco with a bit of a different model number?

I just looked at the Costco website and I am sure that is the same unit with the slight change to the model number like they do with TV's.
post #1271 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic 66 View Post
I just looked at the Costco website and I am sure that is the same unit with the slight change to the model number like they do with TV's.
That's my thought as well....Thanks!

post #1272 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
I posted this in the 9300 thread but same panel so I'm curious:

the owners manual says to prevent burn-in, don't keep an image up for an hour or more.

How has your screen been for people who have gamed multiple hours on end with the same heads up display?

Do you take hourly breaks or what?
Bah, It can have slight retention that goes away, that is all I have seen of it, I use it as a Desktop monitor, TV, gaming and I have no permanent burn in to speak of. I have it up as my Desktop monitor far longer then an hour. And contrary to other opinions here this makes an awesome gaming TV as well as all the pluses of the Black levels carry over to gaming as well. Don't buy an LED LCD for gaming when you get a better picture out of the EG9100 in everything!
post #1273 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anybody familiar with this "TVSuperStores" site that has this TV for $1398? If it seems too good to be true...
post #1274 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Assuming the 9100 is similar to the 9800,

I wouldn't worry too much about gaming
I played a TON of fallout 4, witcher 3, and cod on my tv and no evidence of ir or burn in
I also agree it's more resistant than plasma as it IR was much more apparent than oled

Keep in mind, I am not saying oled can't have burn in, it will, it just seems to be more resistant in my experience
post #1275 of 3621 Old 02-16-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestc01 View Post
Anybody familiar with this "TVSuperStores" site that has this TV for $1398? If it seems too good to be true...
I would steer clear of this place. Look at the better business bureau website. They have an F rating. On google reviews there are 11 reviews and the average rating is one star out of five. Lot's of complaints of things being out of stock after you pay, trying to upcharge for random stuff and just general underhanded tactics. This just reeks of ripoff based on all the reviews I'm seeing. Just wait until adorama has another sale on eBay for $1399. There was even someone on here who got best buy to match the $1399 price that was active from adorama also. Just my 2cents.

Last edited by Lindseybp; 02-16-2016 at 09:59 PM.
post #1276 of 3621 Old 02-17-2016, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yeah, how did they get Best Buy to do that? Their price match policy has a pretty clear list of what online retailers they'll match and that's not one of them.
post #1277 of 3621 Old 02-17-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah, how did they get Best Buy to do that? Their price match policy has a pretty clear list of what online retailers they'll match and that's not one of them.
Look back a few pages and find the member and PM him/her to get details....not sure how they worked that wizardry!
post #1278 of 3621 Old 02-17-2016, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Im in NYC and Adorama has a NYC store so thats why I thought they might pricematch - and they did.

Some guy
post #1279 of 3621 Old 02-18-2016, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I've gotten Stutter on some channels with my DVR / cable box. You can't really blame the TV. It's the source signal that's the problem. Same goes when you try to play some movies on a USB stick. One thing about OLED TVs is it will really show the flaws in the signal. That's how good the panel is. When you have a good panel like this you need to have a good source signal as well if you want to get the best picture quality.
It seems that you were correct. My cable provider must have done something as my DVR started channel search when started. After it was completed I found no new channels but stutter is gone. Eurosport had worst stutter but now it is smooth.
post #1280 of 3621 Old 02-18-2016, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I just got this TV yesterday and hooked it up and calibrated it with the WOW disc. I turned on my TiVo and turned on a movie on HBO but I can see the screen flickering a little bit in certain spots. It seemed to only happen on certain channels.

I took a video of what I am talking about. The video is located here: https://vid.me/b0vF

Ignore the first few seconds because there is sort of a rainbow effect. If you pay attention to the foreheads of the actors you can see what I am talking about. It's flickering/changing colors in a few places.

My questions, is this a problem with the panel or the source? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Can someone explain what is happening?

Thanks in advance
post #1281 of 3621 Old 02-18-2016, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Dolby Digital pass-through from HDMI input on TV to optical out on TV

Due to having an older receiver that does not have HDMI inputs, I was planning on using the TV to switch between my HDMI devices (TiVo & PC) and have the TV output the audio to my receiver over the optical connection. What I found was that the TV would not pass Dolby Digital sound from the HDMI inputs to the optical output, only PCM audio. The TV does output DD from the built in tuner over optical, but not from the HDMI inputs.

The solution I found is changing a setting on the LG OLED TV in the service menu (EZ Adjust), you need to change the EDID setting under Tool Option7 from PCM to AC3. After doing this and powercycling the TV it now tells HDMI connected devices that it supports Dolby Digital. I also noticed that the EDID setting had the following options (PCM, AC3, DTS, DTS-HD) so it may be able to support pass through of other audio formats, but I only needed AC3 Dolby Digital so that is all I tested.

There are different ways to access the service menu (EZ-Adjust) on the LG TV, I used a Logitech Harmony 650 since I had one (other Harmony models should work to).

This assumes you have a Harmony remote, a MyHarmony account and the MyHarmony software on your PC.
1. Start MyHarmony software and log in to your account
2. Click on "DEVICES" tab and click on "Add a device"
3. In manufacturer field enter "LG" and in model number add 47LE5300-UC and then click on Add. Your device should now be added.
4. Click on "Buttons" and then under “Remote Buttons” select LG 47LE5300-UC in the select box and click on "Go"
5. On the right hand side of the screen you should see all the commands for this device, just drag the EZ-ADJ command to an unused button on the remote.
6. Once you are done click on "Save"
7. Remember to sync your remote

Process used on the LG OLED TV 55EG9100.
1. Turn on the TV with the LG Smart Remote
2. Select the LG 47LE5300 device on the Harmony 650
3. Press and hold (about two seconds) the key on the Harmony 650 that you programmed for the EZ-ADJ command until a password box shows up on the TV (note: this is the only step where you use the Harmony 650 remote, use the LG Smart Remote for all other steps)
4. Using the LG Smart Remote enter the password 0413
5. Arrow down (don’t use the pointer) to “6. Tool Option7” and hit enter
6. Select the “EDID” option and change PCM to AC3
7. Hit the Exit button on the remote
8. Powercycle the TV & HDMI connected devices

Settings on the LG OLED TV after enabling AC3 Dolby Digital.
1. Select the HDMI input device that you want to enable Dolby Digital pass-through (you need to do this for each HDMI input where you want DD enabled).
2. Press the Setting button on the remote and go to Advanced Settings
3. Select Sound
4. Set Sound Output to “Audio Out (Optical/HDMI)”
5. Set Digital Sound Out to “Auto”
6. Under Sound Out go to the “AV Sync Adjustment” and adjust sync to -5. (note: I noticed that after enabling AC3 on the HDMI inputs there was a Video/Audio Sync issue that you need to adjust out on each HDMI input, I used some AV sync videos on YouTube.)

So far this seems to work, I get Dolby Digital from the TiVo when the program outputs DD and get PCM if the program ouputs PCM to my receiver. I will update if I run into any other issues.
morbidz and Illinimick like this.
post #1282 of 3621 Old 02-18-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
Due to having an older receiver that does not have HDMI inputs, I was planning on using the TV to switch between my HDMI devices (TiVo & PC) and have the TV output the audio to my receiver over the optical connection. What I found was that the TV would not pass Dolby Digital sound from the HDMI inputs to the optical output, only PCM audio. The TV does output DD from the built in tuner over optical, but not from the HDMI inputs.

The solution I found is changing a setting on the LG OLED TV in the service menu (EZ Adjust), you need to change the EDID setting under Tool Option7 from PCM to AC3. After doing this and powercycling the TV it now tells HDMI connected devices that it supports Dolby Digital. I also noticed that the EDID setting had the following options (PCM, AC3, DTS, DTS-HD) so it may be able to support pass through of other audio formats, but I only needed AC3 Dolby Digital so that is all I tested.

I didn't need to reprogram my LG OLED to tell it to pass AC3. I programmed my Verizon FIOS DVR's hdmi audio output setting to "pass-thru", and I can receive DD streams thru my 9100's optical output now.

There are different ways to access the service menu (EZ-Adjust) on the LG TV, I used a Logitech Harmony 650 since I had one (other Harmony models should work to).

So far this seems to work, I get Dolby Digital from the TiVo when the program outputs DD and get PCM if the program ouputs PCM to my receiver. I will update if I run into any other issues.
Is all this really necessary? As far as I know, there is no difference, frequency-wise from PCM and DD. PCM is the raw form of digital audio before being decoded to analog, while DD is an encoded digital stream that needs to be decoded by a downstream device to analog. Both formats produce the same audio....the human ear can't tell the difference between PCM and DD.

I didn't have to change any settings in my 9100 for it to pass DD thru its optical output from an hdmi source. All I did was change an hdmi audio output setting in my Verizon FIOS DVR to "pass thru", and now my 9100 will send DD out of its optical output.

Last edited by DanF8500; 02-18-2016 at 07:27 AM.
post #1283 of 3621 Old 02-18-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbutter66 View Post
I just got this TV yesterday and hooked it up and calibrated it with the WOW disc. I turned on my TiVo and turned on a movie on HBO but I can see the screen flickering a little bit in certain spots. It seemed to only happen on certain channels.

I took a video of what I am talking about. The video is located here: https://vid.me/b0vF

Ignore the first few seconds because there is sort of a rainbow effect. If you pay attention to the foreheads of the actors you can see what I am talking about. It's flickering/changing colors in a few places.

My questions, is this a problem with the panel or the source? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Can someone explain what is happening?

Thanks in advance
First off, don't worry. There is nothing wrong with your 9100. I had the same video flickering on my 9100 after I tried entering rtings.com's 9100 calibration settings into my 9100. The settings on that site produced the same flickering on flesh tones on my display. I can't tell you what setting (or combination of settings) produces this undesirable effect, but I was able to completely remove it by changing/calibrating my 9100 in the Standard picture mode. Rtings.com's calibration was done in ISF Expert 1. My calibration was by no means professionally done with calibration equipment, but the annoying flickering is gone, and my picture is amazing....much better than my old plasma display. I'm not saying that ISF Expert 1 is the only display mode that can produce this undesirable flickering....I imagine it can be produced in other 9100 display modes also.

Last edited by DanF8500; 02-18-2016 at 08:00 AM.
post #1284 of 3621 Old 02-18-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
First off, don't worry. There is nothing wrong with your 9100. I had the same video flickering on my 9100 after I tried entering rtings.com's 9100 calibration settings into my 9100. The settings on that site produced the same flickering on flesh tones on my display. I can't tell you what setting (or combination of settings) produces this undesirable effect, but I was able to completely remove it by changing/calibrating my 9100 in the Standard picture mode. Rtings.com's calibration was done in ISF Expert 1. My calibration was by no means professionally done with calibration equipment, but the annoying flickering is gone, and my picture is amazing....much better than my old plasma display.
Any chance you can post your settings in Standard mode? I know all panels are different but I would like to get a baseline to maybe speed up the calibration. Using the WOW disc takes some time and I won't have time to actually sit down and do it until next week.

Thanks
post #1285 of 3621 Old 02-18-2016, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any chance you can post your settings in Standard mode? I know all panels are different but I would like to get a baseline to maybe speed up the calibration. Using the WOW disc takes some time and I won't have time to actually sit down and do it until next week.

Thanks
I'd prefer you post your settings instead. That way I can compare with mine, and hopefully find the culprit setting(or settings) causing this flickering effect. What display mode are you currently using? If you're not using Standard mode currently, simply switching to Standard mode may be enough to remove this flickering, blotchy effect.
post #1286 of 3621 Old 02-18-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Thanks
duckbutter, make sure you at least change the Dynamic Contrast to low or off. The default setting is Medium and it really messes the picture up. You might want to try the Standard settings I listed a few posts up.

Last edited by Panic 66; 02-18-2016 at 10:45 AM.
post #1287 of 3621 Old 02-18-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Does it matter if the Disney wow is bd vs DVD? Big difference in price.

For this particular use dvd is probably okay. Not sure would trust the color adjustments tho if you plan on using the blue filter.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #1288 of 3621 Old 02-18-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
First off, don't worry. There is nothing wrong with your 9100. I had the same video flickering on my 9100 after I tried entering rtings.com's 9100 calibration settings into my 9100. The settings on that site produced the same flickering on flesh tones on my display. I can't tell you what setting (or combination of settings) produces this undesirable effect, but I was able to completely remove it by changing/calibrating my 9100 in the Standard picture mode. Rtings.com's calibration was done in ISF Expert 1. My calibration was by no means professionally done with calibration equipment, but the annoying flickering is gone, and my picture is amazing....much better than my old plasma display. I'm not saying that ISF Expert 1 is the only display mode that can produce this undesirable flickering....I imagine it can be produced in other 9100 display modes also.

It's more likely some other setting that is off by default in standard mode, there is nothing wrong with ISF modes. I had both of those calibrated and I have never seen any flickering issues. My guess is the ratings.com setting had something funky in either the color or CMS settings. The CMS is known to cause blotchy skin tones when adjusted to aggressively, in fact Chad didn't even touch the CMS on my set.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #1289 of 3621 Old 02-18-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
It's more likely some other setting that is off by default in standard mode, there is nothing wrong with ISF modes. I had both of those calibrated and I have never seen any flickering issues. My guess is the ratings.com setting had something funky in either the color or CMS settings. The CMS is known to cause blotchy skin tones when adjusted to aggressively, in fact Chad didn't even touch the CMS on my set.
I also agree that I believe the root of the blotchy skin tone effect is somewhere in the color/CMS region of the ISF Expert modes. I tried a bunch of different adjustments in Standard Mode, and could not get the blotchy effect to surface. Standard Mode doesn't have the 2pt/20pt IRE white balance/CMS adjustments.
post #1290 of 3621 Old 02-18-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I'd prefer you post your settings instead. That way I can compare with mine, and hopefully find the culprit setting(or settings) causing this flickering effect. What display mode are you currently using? If you're not using Standard mode currently, simply switching to Standard mode may be enough to remove this flickering, blotchy effect.
I will post mine tonight or tomorrow after I get home from work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
2015 - 2016 lg 55eg9100 "full" 1080p hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page