Official 2015-2016 LG 55EG9100 OLED "full" 1080p HDTV. - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 716Likes

post #2251 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
Yes, I've been lurking but I was more interested in the opinion of those who have used both FP and oled which is why I posed the original question.
Gotcha sorry no help there hopefully someone will chime in

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
I reset picture settings to default and adjusted other adjustments like you said. I put in my Wally Blu-ray and adjusted contrast brightness this time I noticed contrast was working because my Blu-ray player was on movie mode before which made the picture too dark and I couldn't the contrast correctly. So now I'm at contrast 97 with brightness 57 all other epert /picture advanced settings off using expert mode. I'm still getting vertical banding. Guess its time to call LG. I wonder if I should mention to them that the UPS guy delivered the TV upside down.
People here notice white backdrops have green and red colored tints in them right? it's not a super big deal but it's noticeable.
Brightness of 57 is really high you should be in the 49 to 53 range depending on the gamma setting
I did the same and got a brightness setting of 56 with gamma at 2.4, anything lower and I start losing shadow detail
post #2253 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I tried to read through most of this thread but didn't see any info. Any talk of LG releasing a flat version of this set? Not sure why they would offer other models in flat or curved choice but not this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2254 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersin2025 View Post
I tried to read through most of this thread but didn't see any info. Any talk of LG releasing a flat version of this set? Not sure why they would offer other models in flat or curved choice but not this one.
No they won't be, also the curve is VERY subtle nothing like the Samsung curves

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
post #2255 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB30 View Post
I did the same and got a brightness setting of 56 with gamma at 2.4, anything lower and I start losing shadow detail
I think if you test with a true pluge pattern you will see you are illuminating things below reference black and also causing some false contouring.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #2256 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I think if you test with a true pluge pattern you will see you are illuminating things below reference black and also causing some false contouring.
Hello chunon-
You asked how far i sit from my set 6-f7 ft. Like poster above says I don't want to reduce bright my brightness further as Shadow detail gets lost.
post #2257 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Hello chunon-
You asked how far i sit from my set 6-f7 ft. Like poster above says I don't want to reduce bright my brightness further as Shadow detail gets lost.
I understand that but there is only one correct setting for brightness anything above that setting shows things below reference black which is video level 16. That may be contributing to some of the banding you are seeing.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #2258 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Turns out LG was a little overzealous on the availability of LG technician. I just got a call from my local LG technician it'll be two weeks before they can come over. After describing my issues they want to swap the pannel. (I guess this means the tv screen)
They want me to try to send them some photos of my problems. Number one issue is vertical streaks on screen mostly running through the center of the screen. They are also faintly visible on an all black screen.
Also bothering me and I don't know how prevalent this issue is with this display or technology but on all white backdrops I get green and red tinting more than I'd like

Last edited by leiff; 05-12-2016 at 06:09 PM.
post #2259 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I understand that but there is only one correct setting for brightness anything above that setting shows things below reference black which is video level 16. That may be contributing to some of the banding you are seeing.
I guess you're saying even though I used Pixar Blu-ray to calibrate contrast and brightness I should still use different values. I'm using default 2.2 gamma by the way should I try gamma 2.4 and then try to recalibrate again I wonder?
post #2260 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I guess you're saying even though I used Pixar Blu-ray to calibrate contrast and brightness I should still use different values. I'm using default 2.2 gamma by the way should I try gamma 2.4 and then try to recalibrate again I wonder?
Gamma effects the midtones between your blackpoint(brightness) and white point(contrast). My guess is that pattern is not granular enough to adjust brightness properly. One click either way can make a big difference on these sets.

There is a free calibration disc called Avs709 that you can burn or download mp4 files. It is in the calibration sub forum .

If you validate with that pluge pattern and brightness still comes out the same then I stand corrected.

My 2.2 gamma mode has a brightness setting of 50. I could see that varying slightly but 57 or 58 seems high to me.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #2261 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Turns out LG was a little overzealous on the availability of LG technician. I just got a call from my local LG technician it'll be two weeks before they can come over. After describing my issues they want to swap the pannel. (I guess this means the tv screen)
They want me to try to send them some photos of my problems. Number one issue is vertical streaks on screen mostly running through the center of the screen. They are also faintly visible on an all black screen.
Also bothering me and I don't know how prevalent this issue is with this display or technology but on all white backdrops I get green and red tinting more than I'd like
I have seen the tinting before sometimes just luck of the draw on the panels. My panel is excellent in that regard.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #2262 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
Yes, I've been lurking but I was more interested in the opinion of those who have used both FP and oled which is why I posed the original question.
I have had three front projectors. Two Epsons and my current Viewsonic Pro 8100. I have owned a VT60 for a couple years and recently bought a 9100. I love the VT60 and 9100 but there is nothing like watching something on a much larger screen. Even if the black levels aren't as good.

I can say there is nothing like watching certain things on a 120" screen. I wish the black levels were better than what the Pro8100 can produce but I still love it. I plan on upgrading to a JVC when I can afford to. I will say that having a projector with motorized zoom, lens shift and focus is crucial to me. It may not be for you but in my setup I can't imagine going back to a projector without it. If you want to try it out I say give it a shot. You could always start off with a used projector off of Ebay to see if you like it. After you have one you will know what you want to improve upon with your next one. I would love to have one with great black levels and ~1200 lumens with calibrated colors. JVC can do that with their newest models and I will eventually have one.

Last edited by beekermartin; 05-12-2016 at 09:08 PM.
post #2263 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have been watching the 9100 for a week or so now. I am loving it but I have noticed that the colors are no where near as good as my VT60. I never had my VT60 calibrated. I just use D-Nice's day and night settings and they are just about perfect. Since I've plugged in his settings I haven't touched them. It looks incredible no matter the source. The 9100 colors at the stock settings using Expert 1 leave much to be desired. Sometimes hair and skin tones look almost greenish and then in the next scene they look much better. In other words it isn't consistent. Maybe after I have a few hundred hours on it the colors will improve?

I know calibrating it will help to correct them but will they every look as good as the VT60?
post #2264 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
The tech is coming to my house Sat. to pick up my display. LG is providing him with IRE samples to see if the issue remains after replacement. I have the same issue as u do with the center of the screen. They are replacing the panel, but also giving me a new t-con board. This is a must, because I am 99% sure the t-con board is responsible for the banding and near dark problems. So if the board is not replaced too, you will probably have the same problem u have now.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
post #2265 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
I have been watching the 9100 for a week or so now. I am loving it but I have noticed that the colors are no where near as good as my VT60. I never had my VT60 calibrated. I just use D-Nice's day and night settings and they are just about perfect. Since I've plugged in his settings I haven't touched them. It looks incredible no matter the source. The 9100 colors at the stock settings using Expert 1 leave much to be desired. Sometimes hair and skin tones look almost greenish and then in the next scene they look much better. In other words it isn't consistent. Maybe after I have a few hundred hours on it the colors will improve?

I know calibrating it will help to correct them but will they every look as good as the VT60?
I might have figured out why I am having issues. I just started watching House of Cards after I installed the 9100. I just Googled the color palette of House of Cards and now realize it is a known part of the show. That explains why the colors look so inconsistent.

Maybe disregard my post for now.?.?
post #2266 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
I might have figured out why I am having issues. I just started watching House of Cards after I installed the 9100. I just Googled the color palette of House of Cards and now realize it is a known part of the show. That explains why the colors look so inconsistent.

Maybe disregard my post for now.?.?
In the past week house of cards is all you've watched?
post #2267 of 3621 Old 05-12-2016, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
In the past week house of cards is all you've watched?
I have watched some Red Sox games and a few minutes of an NBA playoff game as well. They all looked good. Colors weren't as good as the VT60 but they weren't way off either.

The House of Cards the colors are very inconsistent. I am assuming it is the directors intent. Overall it is shot well but the colors are very odd.

Whenever I start watching a new show I tend to binge watch if I like it. So far I have watched 5 episodes and I like it.
post #2268 of 3621 Old 05-13-2016, 02:21 AM

Quote:

The color is very very good after calibration all des well below 3. Perfect skin tones. I would rate in on par with my vt60 and more vibrant.

Shared settings rarely work regardless of who provided them. My calibrator calibrated many sets including ones with the Dnice setttings they were significantly off. Also sets drift over time especially the Vt60.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A

Last edited by chunon; 05-13-2016 at 02:24 AM.
post #2269 of 3621 Old 05-13-2016, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael201 View Post
Yea i'm in a hard spot. 3 failed devices which could be coincidence but I don't want to risk it after getting them all replaced/fixed. I'll start with a whole house surge protector and consider the Panamax after speaking with the electrician Friday. My TV is suppose to be done today so hopefully everything is good.

still curious if electrical could damage the panel?
I forgot to say that I do have a whole house surge protector installed which helps protect all devices in your home, I think this is a must for everyone.

Spikes and surges can damage any electronic circuit/board in a device, I am not sure if the panel has any electronic devices in it like IC's or transistors, if it does then the panel could get damaged.

Have the electrician check the usual suspects:
1. Have the whole house surge protector installed. You should still have a surge protector power strip that your devices plugs into in case you have an appliance in the house causing the surges/spikes.
2. Check all AC outlets for proper wiring and ground, this is a simple test device that gets plugged into the outlets.
3. Check your AC voltage to make sure it is not low, low voltage can damage electronics and a surge protector does not help with that.
4. Run you sensitive electronic devices on a dedicated circuit if possible, do not have any appliances connected to that circuit, appliances can cause surges and spikes. Besides large appliances even small appliances can cause problems including shavers, hair dryers, electric tools, burglar alarms, cordless phones, heaters and tankless water heaters.

Good luck
post #2270 of 3621 Old 05-13-2016, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I would like to know what they say about the red tinting on white screen, I still have that problem so will be interested in seeing if the panel replacement solves your issue.
post #2271 of 3621 Old 05-13-2016, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial View Post
I forgot to say that I do have a whole house surge protector installed which helps protect all devices in your home, I think this is a must for everyone.

Spikes and surges can damage any electronic circuit/board in a device, I am not sure if the panel has any electronic devices in it like IC's or transistors, if it does then the panel could get damaged.

Have the electrician check the usual suspects:
1. Have the whole house surge protector installed. You should still have a surge protector power strip that your devices plugs into in case you have an appliance in the house causing the surges/spikes.
2. Check all AC outlets for proper wiring and ground, this is a simple test device that gets plugged into the outlets.
3. Check your AC voltage to make sure it is not low, low voltage can damage electronics and a surge protector does not help with that.
4. Run you sensitive electronic devices on a dedicated circuit if possible, do not have any appliances connected to that circuit, appliances can cause surges and spikes. Besides large appliances even small appliances can cause problems including shavers, hair dryers, electric tools, burglar alarms, cordless phones, heaters and tankless water heaters.

Good luck
thanks very much. this is the most helpful post i've gotten on this issue despite posting dedicated threads on this elsewhere.

so the whole house surge protector is only a filter for external surges? I assumed it would soak up surges through the apt as well. I just realized I could just use my multimeter to check the voltages and for open neutral, but installing the whole house surge seems more daunting.
post #2272 of 3621 Old 05-13-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
I have had three front projectors. Two Epsons and my current Viewsonic Pro 8100. I have owned a VT60 for a couple years and recently bought a 9100. I love the VT60 and 9100 but there is nothing like watching something on a much larger screen. Even if the black levels aren't as good.

I can say there is nothing like watching certain things on a 120" screen. I wish the black levels were better than what the Pro8100 can produce but I still love it. I plan on upgrading to a JVC when I can afford to. I will say that having a projector with motorized zoom, lens shift and focus is crucial to me. It may not be for you but in my setup I can't imagine going back to a projector without it. If you want to try it out I say give it a shot. You could always start off with a used projector off of Ebay to see if you like it. After you have one you will know what you want to improve upon with your next one. I would love to have one with great black levels and ~1200 lumens with calibrated colors. JVC can do that with their newest models and I will eventually have one.
Thanks for your input. This is the sort of feedback I was looking for and was consistent with my thinking. I don't really have the room for a CIH screen due to living in a condo so for now I'd rather stick with a new DLP. When I have the room for a dedicated space, I will look into such luxuries!

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #2273 of 3621 Old 05-13-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The color is very very good after calibration all des well below 3. Perfect skin tones. I would rate in on par with my vt60 and more vibrant.

Shared settings rarely work regardless of who provided them. My calibrator calibrated many sets including ones with the Dnice setttings they were significantly off. Also sets drift over time especially the Vt60.
Thanks Churon. You know I plan on calibrating the 9100 soon enough. I was just concerned last night when I was watching House of Cards.

I know using someones settings almost never works but with the VT60 they seemed to be dead on. I also haven't noticed them drifting at all. I haven't bothered trying cnet or rting color settings because of what I read in this thread. I might try them just to see but I know a real calibration is best for the 9100 and most sets for that matter.
post #2274 of 3621 Old 05-13-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks Churon. You know I plan on calibrating the 9100 soon enough. I was just concerned last night when I was watching House of Cards.

I know using someones settings almost never works but with the VT60 they seemed to be dead on. I also haven't noticed them drifting at all. I haven't bothered trying cnet or rting color settings because of what I read in this thread. I might try them just to see but I know a real calibration is best for the 9100 and most sets for that matter.
Yes i understand but you really never know if you have a reference picture until you get the set calibrated. The Vt60 drifts toward red in the greyscale over time definitely subtle tho

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #2275 of 3621 Old 05-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

I was surprised after switching gamma from default 2.2 to 2.4 and running Pixar brightness contrast calibrator again values stayed exactly the same for me at 57 brightness & 97 contrast.
For others like me running default white balance and advanced color - which gamma mode do you prefer?
post #2276 of 3621 Old 05-13-2016, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I re-calibrated....changed Gamma to 2.2, Oled light 58, Contrast 72, Brightness 54. The image definitely has better detail now, not quite as "contrasty" but I think I prefer it this way.
post #2277 of 3621 Old 05-13-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB30 View Post
I re-calibrated....changed Gamma to 2.2, Oled light 58, Contrast 72, Brightness 54. The image definitely has better detail now, not quite as "contrasty" but I think I prefer it this way.
That seems more correct to me

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #2278 of 3621 Old 05-13-2016, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picked up this set and have been very impressed. But I've been noticing that with any video that isn't a blu Ray film there's a choppiness to it. The screen stutters pretty frequently. I've messed with De-Judder and De-Blur a lot, but nothing seems to fix it and it is now distracting. I use Hulu and Netflix a lot and TV shows tend to be the worse. Has anyone else noticed this or found a fix? I literally love everything else about this set, but this one issue is enough for me to consider returning the set. Doesn't help that my wife has a 2016 65" Vizio P-Series that is smooth as butter.
post #2279 of 3621 Old 05-13-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangonate View Post
Picked up this set and have been very impressed. But I've been noticing that with any video that isn't a blu Ray film there's a choppiness to it. The screen stutters pretty frequently. I've messed with De-Judder and De-Blur a lot, but nothing seems to fix it and it is now distracting. I use Hulu and Netflix a lot and TV shows tend to be the worse. Has anyone else noticed this or found a fix? I literally love everything else about this set, but this one issue is enough for me to consider returning the set. Doesn't help that my wife has a 2016 65" Vizio P-Series that is smooth as butter.
Turn off true motion for anything that is not bluray.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #2280 of 3621 Old 05-13-2016, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

In order for my calibration pass I need a 97 contrast which is considerably higher than you post here -makes me wonder why? I dont duppose either of you are on 4.00.35 software as am I. I wonder if thats the reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
2015 - 2016 lg 55eg9100 "full" 1080p hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page