LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 223 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36646Likes

post #6661 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My BB replacement arrived this morning and was a 510 build. Had to head to work so we just had to to remind it and power it up and take a couple quick pics. Screen looks a lot better, I worry my eyes play tricks on me. I took a couple quick daytime photos. I'll be ckecking further for vignetting. Another big concern I had from the old tv was how horrible the motion was watching the walking dead the last to weeks. It the only show I have any issues with. There were scenes that were unbearable to watch. The actors motion looked like robots. Hoping that is improved. Any suggestions to correct is appreciated as well.

Will post updates over next few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1446756636059.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1040681   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1446756653805.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1040689  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Has anyone noticed their vignetting and uniformity getting worse the more correction cycles run? That seems to be occurring to mine.

When I first took pictures of near black slides, there was very minor right vignetting and no left with a big of non-uniformity. Now, there is considerable right vignetting and moderate left vignetting, with really bad non-uniformity.
post #6663 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5371 Post(s)
Liked: 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raska View Post
Has anyone noticed their vignetting and uniformity getting worse the more correction cycles run? That seems to be occurring to mine.

When I first took pictures of near black slides, there was very minor right vignetting and no left with a big of non-uniformity. Now, there is considerable right vignetting and moderate left vignetting, with really bad non-uniformity.
Have you readjusted your settings? You may need to recalibrate your brightness settings.
Tomcup likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6664 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5371 Post(s)
Liked: 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgalletta View Post
Mine will be delivered Nov 16 from Best Buy, when our new entertainment unit arrives. I ordered it about 3 or 4 weeks ago.
My free 49" UHD LG tv is still sitting in the box in which it was delivered. Has anyone tried to "trade it up" for a better unit? I wouldn't mind spending a couple hundred extra to get a 3D version or even more to get an OLED 1080. Is this an easy one or would I likely be fighting city hall on this?
I would wait until you get your tv. If for some reason you don't like the tv, and want your money back, they will demand the free tv back too.
post #6665 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raska View Post

That's odd, sorry to hear that. That's the complete opposite to what's going on with mine. Mine was pretty flawless out of the box (like our store display) and the little things that did exist seem to be going away like the uniformity issues.
post #6666 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgalletta View Post
Mine will be delivered Nov 16 from Best Buy, when our new entertainment unit arrives. I ordered it about 3 or 4 weeks ago.
My free 49" UHD LG tv is still sitting in the box in which it was delivered. Has anyone tried to "trade it up" for a better unit? I wouldn't mind spending a couple hundred extra to get a 3D version or even more to get an OLED 1080. Is this an easy one or would I likely be fighting city hall on this?
i gave mine away to a friend. It really isn't that bad of a tv, especially when you consider that it has webOS 2.0. It also has no yellow stripe lol.
post #6667 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
http://www.displayandsoundcalibratio...sung-55js9000/

They talk about the vignetting, vertical bands, and banding and blotchiness. On the blotchiness/grainy picture in dark scenes some people report, I think this statement hits it dead on:

"The cause of these problems is excessive compression of the source and not the TV itself. It would appear that current compression algorithms allocate fewer bits to the very lowest luminance, relying on most TVs inability to display such low level details. The gradations further up are visible on any technology but are smoother than the blotches at the bottom end."

Their take on the darker edges and vertical bands as well as motion processing is also an interesting read.

This quote from that article: One thing is for sure, OLED ruthlessly shows up the flaws in poor content.

Please show this to everyone whining about the upscaling....
TallCoolOne, 10k, comptr and 1 others like this.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #6668 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
65ef9500 low brighness black level proplem

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
This quote from that article: One thing is for sure, OLED ruthlessly shows up the flaws in poor content.

my 65ef9500 510 build is defective in low brightness . Its almost like the black control is broken. It is not content that is the problem because it shows up via netflix 4k and on blu-ray from another source. So this will be my second exchange from best buy. Got a delivery date of the 10th from best buy. I did notice another best buy had one in stock so I called them hoping to just exchange it there now instead of waiting but thet told me it was for a display and they could not sell it. Guess I wait.
post #6669 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is anyone having problems using the new apple TV (4gen) remote to control the lg 65EF9500 tv? using HDMI CEC the apple remote will turn the tv on - but it won't turn it off - it will turn the apple tv and my stereo off but the LG - still (sort of stays on) the screen is black but if i waive the LG remote around i'll see its red cursor moving around on the tv.
post #6670 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So I have a 65" 509 build with a relatively minor yellow stripe, great 3D playback and very little vignetting after 250 hours. I will likely keep it since my family cannot see what I see and I wont tell them where the 'flaw' is to protect them from looking for it all the time.

I can definitely see how much improved the 510 builds are for the yellow stripe but does it seem like the pink has gotten worse on the 510 vs. the 509's
post #6671 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Have you readjusted your settings? You may need to recalibrate your brightness settings.
On all fthe units I've seen, brightness needs to be turned down after compensation cycles kick in, not up... so if anything leaving it at the settings tuned when you first turn it on would make vignetting seem better...
post #6672 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinlyjoe View Post
my 65ef9500 510 build is defective in low brightness . Its almost like the black control is broken. It is not content that is the problem because it shows up via netflix 4k and on blu-ray from another source. So this will be my second exchange from best buy. Got a delivery date of the 10th from best buy. I did notice another best buy had one in stock so I called them hoping to just exchange it there now instead of waiting but thet told me it was for a display and they could not sell it. Guess I wait.
You mean floating black levels where sometimes its gray and sometimes its black?

If that's the case, there's nothing wrong with your TV. Most content is just poorly graded (even netflix and blu rays)
Tomcup likes this.
post #6673 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenLei View Post
So I have a 65" 509 build with a relatively minor yellow stripe, great 3D playback and very little vignetting after 250 hours. I will likely keep it since my family cannot see what I see and I wont tell them where the 'flaw' is to protect them from looking for it all the time.

I can definitely see how much improved the 510 builds are for the yellow stripe but does it seem like the pink has gotten worse on the 510 vs. the 509's
It does appear you are correct that 510's are just a much hit or miss. You miss yellow but get pink. It also appears there are quite a few power supply failures as of late.

For the poster about dark content or brightness issue I find that hard to believe it's the TV being the issue rather the content but I'm not in your home looking at it. I also notice the normal compression issues with content that is over compressed by my carrier but when using Netflix or Amazon it's a perfect crisp image with lots of detail except when grain is introduced in processing by the studio / production like Breaking Bad. nobody likes the soap opera effect do we now....

I wasn't a 9600 buyer or forum reader of that thread so I don't know if BB or Amazon received so many returns for that set too? Funny I never seen an open box at BB for an OLED 4k

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
My YouTube Tech Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/TechFan
post #6674 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 5
As I will be installing the LG myself this weekend when it is delivered, can anyone recommend how I can go about handling the LG and positioning and installing the TV stand and any other precautions I should take. As I am choosing not to have Best Buy deliever reps come in and install it.

Any pictures of the stand and panel itself would be great. Thank you so much

Cheers!
post #6675 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 54
So TV was delivered about an hour ago...they were about 3 hours late from their delivery time. They guys were pretty cool though, they set everything up and hung around while I tested slides. So good news..it's a 510...no yellow...but..there is pink on the left and the Vignette on the right is much more noticeable from my 509. So how long did it take for the pink to go away? Did it really go away? I guess I'll hold on for 30 days again and see what happens...thank goodness for the 45 day reset from BB!!!

Edit - I just realized the Firmware on my TV is 4.20.10 I wonder what's different? I thought the latest was 4.20.08
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2%_V3.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1040953   Click image for larger version

Name:	3%_V3.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	1040961   Click image for larger version

Name:	4%_v3.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	1040969   Click image for larger version

Name:	5%_V3.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	1040977   Click image for larger version

Name:	100%_v3.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1040985  

Last edited by atabibza; 11-05-2015 at 05:06 PM.
post #6676 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

Interesting your characterization of those that complain about the upscaling. It's ok to discuss and scrutinize photos of yellow stains, pronounced or vague and vignetting that some see or don't see, but mention poor upscaling and you're whining? Seems a little harsh.
tsummerall likes this.
post #6677 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabibza View Post
So TV was delivered about an hour ago...they were about 3 hours late from their delivery time. They guys were pretty cool though, they set everything up and hung around while I tested slides. So good news..it's a 510...no yellow...but..there is pink on the left and the Vignette on the right is much more noticeable from my 509. So how long did it take for the pink to go away? Did it really go away? I guess I'll hold on for 30 days again and see what happens...thank goodness for the 45 day reset from BB!!!
Almost 200 hours into my 510 and the pink on the left side never went away which is why I have BB dropping off a new one on Saturday. ;/

I thought I could live with it but it's impossible to not see how big of a difference the right side is from the left in most light colored scenes. Kind of a ridiculous difference actually.

If the one being delivered this weekend has another/same problem I will try one final time with this OLED. Getting pissed off I even have to play the lottery with this $5k set at all.
post #6678 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post
Interesting your characterization of those that complain about the upscaling. It's ok to discuss and scrutinize photos of yellow stains, pronounced or vague and vignetting that some see or don't see, but mention poor upscaling and you're whining? Seems a little harsh.
I think his point was that many of those complaining about the upscaling don't realize that it isn't poor upscaling causing these issues, it is poor content whose flaws are not visible on inferior sets. Yellow stains, vignetting, etc are real issues on these sets, they may bother some while not others, but they are real...the graininess and blotchiness that most people complain about are not, the set just reveals everything in the source material all too clearly.
cockatiel likes this.
post #6679 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Quote:
I think his point was that many of those complaining about the upscaling don't realize that it isn't poor upscaling causing these issues, it is poor content whose flaws are not visible on inferior sets. Yellow stains, vignetting, etc are real issues on these sets, they may bother some while not others, but they are real...the graininess and blotchiness that most people complain about are not, the set just reveals everything in the source material all too clearly.
but u can make a point without saying someone is "whining" thats what the guy was saying
tsummerall likes this.
post #6680 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 05:24 PM

The "pink issue" certainly isn't on every set. I haven't noticed this issue on mine, our store's, and asked a co-worker who bought one as well. Just another item to add to the panel lottery I suppose. I sold 9 55/65" 9500's thus far and have not seen one come back. There was one returned from an online order because the "picture was horrible", but you're going to have a horrible picture when you're playing SD cable and hooking up a VHS/DVD combo player to it like the customer did... lol.

Maybe just got lucky with our stock, dunno lol. But I have minimal flame (less than 1"), no yellow streaks/blobs, and no "pinks". TV is playing beautifully. Only issue I have is it communicating to my receiver, as in hitting the power all off on my harmony the TV will turn off, then the AVR, the TV will turn back on again. I'm probably just going to disable ARC/CEC and go optical from the TV. I ordered some new HDMI cables (mine are pretty, ok, really really old that they may not be "w/ethernet" capability even. If these Audioquest cables don't work out well then optical it is.

I can understand the frustration of panel lottery though.

Last edited by The_Dr; 11-05-2015 at 05:29 PM.
post #6681 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dr View Post
The "pink issue" certainly isn't on every set. I haven't noticed this issue on mine, our store's, and asked a co-worker who bought one as well. Just another item to add to the panel lottery I suppose. I sold 9 55/65" 9500's thus far and have not seen one come back. There was one returned from an online order because the "picture was horrible", but you're going to have a horrible picture when you're playing SD cable and hooking up a VHS/DVD combo player to it like the customer did... lol.

Maybe just got lucky with our stock, dunno lol. But I have minimal flame (less than 1"), no yellow streaks/blobs, and no "pinks". TV is playing beautifully. Only issue I have is it communicating to my receiver, as in hitting the power all off on my harmony the TV will turn off, then the AVR, the TV will turn back on again. I'm probably just going to disable ARC/CEC and go optical from the TV. I ordered some new HDMI cables (mine are pretty, ok, really really old that they may not be "w/ethernet" capability even. If these Audioquest cables don't work out well then optical it is.

I can understand the frustration of panel lottery though.
It does suck, wish I got one from your BB!

I think this set could possibly be one of the worst panel lotteries ever due to the fact multiple things can be wrong with it like: pink/yellow/banding/uneven uniformity/vignetting/motion issues/3D cross talk/power supply. That's a long list of possible problems and makes the lottery that much worse imo.

Crossing my fingers for a good one on Saturday.
post #6682 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Ok, just spent the last few hours setting up my 510 65 delivered by BB today. AVS disc 100% white field shows no yellow stain nor any pinkish areas. 5% grey shows minor vignetting. It's a keeper. Casino Royale was a revelation. All I can say is...wow.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

LG 65EF9500 OLED Display
Oppo BDP-203,Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC, MF V-LINK 192
Parasound P5, Marantz SR-6010, EAD PM 1000 and PM 500 amps
NHT 2.5i (2), NHT AC-1 (1), NHT 1.5 (2), PSB XA (4)
Outlaw Ultra X12 and LFM-1 EX subwoofers
post #6683 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnam0711 View Post
I was wondering about this too...
My initial 508 had only shipping straps and the replacement 510 had only clear tape along the box which made me concerned it may have been a return. It looked all okay inside box though.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exact same here 508/510. Checked the Hours on the 510 build and it showed 0.
Even if you do a reset on the EG9500, the hours will not reset.

I asked the delivery guys about why there was no straps just the tape. They said that they are 3D party delivery guys and they always check to make sure the panel isn't damaged before they leave BB warehouse.

My 510 is the best PQ I have ever seen with mainly out of the box settings.
By this weekend I will be making a meter matrix profile with this TV and running a bleeding edge profile/3DLUT calibration on it.

ss
MissionMaximus likes this.

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
post #6684 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, the point was that the EF upscales as it should. It's the pre upscaled content that sucks and the TV tells it like it is. And about yellow, vig, pink, or whatever niggles you see, if it's there at hour one it will be there at hour ten thousand. Yet, the worst yellow streaker is better than the best LCD.......

Buzz

post #6685 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnam0711 View Post
I was wondering about this too...
My initial 508 had only shipping straps and the replacement 510 had only clear tape along the box which made me concerned it may have been a return. It looked all okay inside box though.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exact same here 508/510. Checked the Hours on the 510 build and it showed 0.
Even if you do a reset on the EG9500, the hours will not reset.

I asked the delivery guys about why there was no straps just the tape. They said that they are 3D party delivery guys and they always check to make sure the panel isn't damaged before they leave BB warehouse.

My 510 is the best PQ I have ever seen with mainly out of the box settings.
By this weekend I will be making a meter matrix profile with this TV and running a bleeding edge profile/3DLUT calibration on it.

ss
what settings are u using as of now?
post #6686 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
No, the point was that the EF upscales as it should. It's the pre upscaled content that sucks and the TV tells it like it is. And about yellow, vig, pink, or whatever niggles you see, if it's there at hour one it will be there at hour ten thousand. Yet, the worst yellow streaker is better than the best LCD.......
Never meant for anyone to infer that LCD is better than OLED because I don't believe it is. I've seen how oled reproduces a bluray signal and a 4K signal and it's excellent. I guess I'm just not convinced the poor upscaling of most cable is due only to poor content. Maybe I need to look more closely at the evidence.
post #6687 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Yet, the worst yellow streaker is better than the best LCD.......
A perfect OLED is clearly better than any LCD ever created, motion issues aside.

An imperfect OLED with uniformity issues like pink, blue, or yellow banding is not though. Especially when it costs $5k.

Just my opinion of course.
post #6688 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
what settings are u using as of now?
Expert 1, Contrast 78, OLED light 52, Brightness 52.
Turned off edge enhancement.

Note, if you use internet streaming like NetFlix the settings will change from HDMI input settings. Same with UHD.

If you want to optimize Netflix streaming it helps to have a fast download speed.
Amazon isn't very good.
I have Comcast, went from there normal internet speed (about 15mbps) to there 105mbps and see a very nice difference with most of NetFlix newer (last 10 years) shows and movies @1080p .

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
post #6689 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos00723 View Post
It does suck, wish I got one from your BB!

I think this set could possibly be one of the worst panel lotteries ever due to the fact multiple things can be wrong with it like: pink/yellow/banding/uneven uniformity/vignetting/motion issues/3D cross talk/power supply. That's a long list of possible problems and makes the lottery that much worse imo.

Crossing my fingers for a good one on Saturday.
Haha, maybe it's just me being the lucky charm as I sold all but 1 of the 4K OLEDs in store (many online through us though), rung the coworker out that bought his, and then mine turned out great.

Since I'm not in person selling it can't assure it's going to work, but I'm personally wishing you good luck on this one here. Let's see if that works!
post #6690 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos00723 View Post
A perfect OLED is clearly better than any LCD ever created, motion issues aside.

An imperfect OLED with uniformity issues like pink, blue, or yellow banding is not though. Especially when it costs $5k.

Just my opinion of course.
Put an LCD side by side with an "imperfect OLED" and you'll change your opinion. There is no contest.

Buzz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page