LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 224 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36646Likes

post #6691 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
what settings are u using as of now?
Expert 1, Contrast 78, OLED light 52, Brightness 52.
Turned off edge enhancement.

Note, if you use internet streaming like NetFlix the settings will change from HDMI input settings. Same with UHD.

If you want to optimize Netflix streaming it helps to have a fast download speed.
Amazon isn't very good.
I have Comcast, went from there normal internet speed (about 15mbps) to there 105mbps and see a very nice difference with most of NetFlix newer (last 10 years) shows and movies @1080p .

ss
thanks for the tip! And my settings are basically default as yours are im roughly 32 hours into the set
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
I think his point was that many of those complaining about the upscaling don't realize that it isn't poor upscaling causing these issues, it is poor content whose flaws are not visible on inferior sets. Yellow stains, vignetting, etc are real issues on these sets, they may bother some while not others, but they are real...the graininess and blotchiness that most people complain about are not, the set just reveals everything in the source material all too clearly.
As one of the whiners who is trying to get a handle of what people are seeing on ordinary cable, sat and OTA programming I take no offense at the term whining. My issue is that if I bring home an expensive set capable of the best pictures in the history of tv with the right source material and it looks worse than my LEd on 90% of the material we actually watch routinely, I'm in double trouble. It is of interest how prevalent this is and whether it is poor source material or poor up conversion. Is it really only with darker scenes, or a more general problem. Some have reported a good picture on sat, others have found it noticeably worse.

I want to know more about how prevalent the problems are, because in the end, the cause of the poorer quality when it occurs is less important to my purchase decision than how noticeable and frequent it is in every day viewing. I can't switch my programming to fios so compression will be a fact of life for network, sat. and most cable. One hopes there's a solution in improved processing, but if not, and most people are unhappy with clarity of day to day PQ relative to their prior sets, these TVs will not succeed in the mainstream even when prices come down.
CJArciola, III and tsummerall like this.
post #6693 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbach View Post
My issue is that if I bring home an expensive set capable of the best pictures in the history of tv with the right source material and it looks worse than my LEd on 90% of the material we actually watch routinely...
This reminds me of high end audio, where the better equipment will reveal all the flaws in source material; hence a conundrum in which recordings that were once enjoyed on inferior gear are now difficult to enjoy on the reference equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6694 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
By this weekend I will be making a meter matrix profile with this TV and running a bleeding edge profile/3DLUT calibration on it.

ss
That's when the real fun begins.

It'd be interesting to get your take on the difference you see with and without the LUTs engaged on normal content.

Also....after you've run your LUTs, run saturation sweeps at different APL levels to see how well the 9500 holds its accuracy.
post #6695 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6511 Post(s)
Liked: 6483
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Put an LCD side by side with an "imperfect OLED" and you'll change your opinion. There is no contest.
+ 1 for sure
post #6696 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am about to purchase the 65EF9500 and was looking at Value Electronics, however, on the LG website it doesn't list them as an authorized dealer. I even called LG and they said that they haven't heard of such a company. On Value Electronics' website it says they are authorized. I don't know who to believe. Has anyone ordered from them before? I am hoping to get a 511 model, and if I happen to get a defective model I want a reputable company that will stand behind the product.
post #6697 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbach View Post
As one of the whiners who is trying to get a handle of what people are seeing on ordinary cable, sat and OTA programming I take no offense at the term whining. My issue is that if I bring home an expensive set capable of the best pictures in the history of tv with the right source material and it looks worse than my LEd on 90% of the material we actually watch routinely, I'm in double trouble. It is of interest how prevalent this is and whether it is poor source material or poor up conversion. Is it really only with darker scenes, or a more general problem. Some have reported a good picture on sat, others have found it noticeably worse.

I want to know more about how prevalent the problems are, because in the end, the cause of the poorer quality when it occurs is less important to my purchase decision than how noticeable and frequent it is in every day viewing. I can't switch my programming to fios so compression will be a fact of life for network, sat. and most cable. One hopes there's a solution in improved processing, but if not, and most people are unhappy with clarity of day to day PQ relative to their prior sets, these TVs will not succeed in the mainstream even when prices come down.
That's fair...if you are watching mostly low grade source material perhaps this set isn't for you. I've always found that the bigger and the better the TV, the worse SD and highly compressed material will look on it, and that's been true even with the best LCD displays over the years. I rather frequently end up having to watch hockey in SD because many of the games aren't in HD on the satellite, I usually watch those on my cheap 42" LG LCD in the bedroom, because yes they look better on that set since you can't see the flaws as easily especially from a distance.
post #6698 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEDfan View Post
I am about to purchase the 65EF9500 and was looking at Value Electronics, however, on the LG website it doesn't list them as an authorized dealer. I even called LG and they said that they haven't heard of such a company. On Value Electronics' website it says they are authorized. I don't know who to believe. Has anyone ordered from them before? I am hoping to get a 511 model, and if I happen to get a defective model I want a reputable company that will stand behind the product.
Value Electronics is definitely reputable. I'm actually ordering from them and I was told that their allocation which comes in next week is going to be 511 models. Plus you can get one of the two deals advertised on the site.
post #6699 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 164
One more thing for the folks who have highly compressed or SD source material...while I am usually not a fan of noise reduction and other processing options, sometimes they can improve an SD or compressed signal quite a bit. Try turning on MPEG Noise Reduction as well as playing with Super Resolution and the Edge Enhancement options. I would never use those for even a half decent signal but they do improve some SD stuff.
post #6700 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
On rock band 4 (xbox one hooked directly up to TV) I used the calibration guitar to calibrate the audio/video lag. Here is the lowest I could get it. I tried game mode, PC mode, normal mode with motion turned off. Seems really high. I'm far from a competitive gamer, but when I play FPS it doesn't seem anywhere near that high. If I had to guess 30-40ms video lag. Playing rock band with those delays seems accurate though (I don't miss when I time it right). No idea what to make of the HUGE audio delay but I don't really care about that.

I also can't seem to get my text right on PC. It has some type of sharpness issue so all the smaller text has red/blue around it. Hard to describe. I'm running out of things to try.

Last edited by rogershomework; 11-05-2015 at 10:23 PM.
post #6701 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
That's when the real fun begins.

It'd be interesting to get your take on the difference you see with and without the LUTs engaged on normal content.

Also....after you've run your LUTs, run saturation sweeps at different APL levels to see how well the 9500 holds its accuracy.
Yes you are so right, got 98 hours on it. Soooon
If the EG9600 I had is any indication, there isn't much of a change between 100 and 300 hours.

As Buzz and I have said the default settings for the ISF and Cinema modes are pretty good. So I don't think a normal calibration, at least on the EF I have will be of much benefit considering the funkiness that using the controls can have on the PQ.
This is a very impressive TV, at least the 510 build I now have.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
post #6702 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogershomework View Post
On rock band 4 (xbox one hooked directly up to TV) I used the calibration guitar to calibrate the audio/video lag. Here is the lowest I could get it. I tried game mode, PC mode, normal mode with motion turned off. Seems really high. I'm far from a competitive gamer, but when I play FPS it doesn't seem anywhere near that high. If I had to guess 30-40ms video lag. Playing rock band with those delays seems accurate though (I don't miss when I time it right). No idea what to make of the HUGE audio delay but I don't really care about that.

I also can't seem to get my text right on PC. It has some type of sharpness issue so all the smaller text has red/blue around it. Hard to describe. I'm running out of things to try.
I assume you've hooked your PC up to your TV then. How's your mouse lag? When testing Rock Band, did you by chance notice which HDMI input setting had a better response, PC or Game Console?

The lag isn't in the 100s of ms. There is no way it's that high. But I think it's in the 50s. Played just a bit of Black Ops 3 on my set tonight, and things feel just the slightest bit looser than I remember CoD feeling.

I tried a touch of Guitar Hero today. I really need to figure out the calibration on that. Playing with visual cues was a disaster. Super fun game though!
post #6703 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse17 View Post
I assume you've hooked your PC up to your TV then. How's your mouse lag? When testing Rock Band, did you by chance notice which HDMI input setting had a better response, PC or Game Console?

The lag isn't in the 100s of ms. There is no way it's that high. But I think it's in the 50s. Played just a bit of Black Ops 3 on my set tonight, and things feel just the slightest bit looser than I remember CoD feeling.

I tried a touch of Guitar Hero today. I really need to figure out the calibration on that. Playing with visual cues was a disaster. Super fun game though!
The lowest video lag I could get was on PC mode. Mouse lag seems really low too. That's why I was surprised to see the results I got.

Going from the Samsung S9C oled to this it seems alot less but the test are higher. I'll have to run more test to confirm everything. I just wish PC text was right. Makes running 4k not worth it almost.
post #6704 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Quote:
Going from the Samsung S9C oled to this it seems alot less but the test are higher. I'll have to run more test to confirm everything. I just wish PC text was right. Makes running 4k not worth it almost.
how are you connecting the pc? Unless you have a gtx900 series or z170 motherboard with hdmi 2.0 you cannot get 4k60hz rgb444 working.

It sounds like you have hdmi 1.4 and are in ycc420 mode at 4K 60hz, which is causing the fuzzy text. Google "rgb 444 test" and you'll find an image to put full screen that will tell you if you are in 444 mode or not.
rogershomework likes this.
post #6705 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
how are you connecting the pc? Unless you have a gtx900 series or z170 motherboard with hdmi 2.0 you cannot get 4k60hz rgb444 working.

It sounds like you have hdmi 1.4 and are in ycc420 mode at 4K 60hz, which is causing the fuzzy text. Google "rgb 444 test" and you'll find an image to put full screen that will tell you if you are in 444 mode or not.
I have a GTX 980 with a 1.4 cable. For some reason I couldn't get 4:4:4 mode enabled. I do have it in YCbCr420 too. If I go to RGB mode or YCbCr444 text looks perfect for some reason but that would hurt the color range right?

Could it just be as simple as a bad hdmi cable?

Last edited by rogershomework; 11-05-2015 at 11:36 PM.
post #6706 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Quote:
I have a GTX 980 with a 1.4 cable. For some reason I couldn't get 4:4:4 mode enabled. I do have it in YCbCr420 too. If I go to RGB mode or YCbCr444 text looks perfect for some reason but that would hurt the color range right?

Could it just be as simple as a bad hdmi cable?
HDMI 1.4 doesn't have enough bandwidth for 4k60 rgb444. If you want good text with hdmi 1.4 you need to do 4k30hz mode which will support Rgb444.

Go on Amazon and grab the cheapest hdmi 18gb/s cable they have, that should get you sorted. Also, remember to enable hdmi deep color on the tv as well (settings, advanced, picture, hdmi ultra hd)

:edit: in general with pc you want to run in rgb mode. Even though video content is ycc, Windows converts internally to rgb for desktop presentation. If you have your video card set to use ycc mode then there is another conversion from rgb back to ycc. This isn't ideal as it can cause banding.
Tomcup likes this.
post #6707 of 24634 Old 11-05-2015, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 191
So my 510 arrived finally. Sent my 507 back yesterday. Checked everything out real quick and so far it looks good.

Vignetting is definitely much better. waiting until after first cycle after 6 hours to take pictures. But its so far the same trend. Hardly anything on the left at all. Don't really start seeing it until about 3% / 2%. Though you can see it on the right at 5% but less then my 507. On screens where it showed on my 507 on Xbox One preview dashboard, it doesn't even appear at all on this one.

The screen is still not 100% white so hoepfully it will improve as more hours get on it. This is the first TV I have EVER swapped, ever, and I buy a lot of TV's, I don't know how some of you guys have swapped 3, 4, 5, and 6 different TV's. I'm over it after one lol.

Though I have to say overall I'm glad I did it because just the improvement over the vignetting of my last was worth it and that I'm not seeing that yellow, normal , yellow area in areas where I saw it before.
Tomcup likes this.

LivingRoom: LG OLED77C8P /Oppo UDP-203/Denon X8500H/SVS SB16 ULTRA/M5300-PM/Paradigm 85F, 45c, Mythos Gem XL x4, SVS Prime Elevation x4 /PS4 Pro/X1X/Switch/AppleTV 4K
Bedroom: LG OLED65E6P / Oppo BDP103D / AppleTV // Office: Sony 55A9F / X1X
ISF Level I Certified, CalMan VideoPro, ChromaPure, i1D3 Pro, i1Pro, C6 HDR 2000, VideoForge Pro, Lightspace
post #6708 of 24634 Old 11-06-2015, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 84
A Review Of The LG EF9500 4K OLED TV – 65EF9500 & 55EF9500

Final Thoughts
The LG 65EF9500 is a visually stunning, aesthetically pleasing and feature rich TV. It’s one of the only well performing truly flat Native 4K UHD screens currently on the market. Stand out features for us are; the WebOS 2.0 operating system, the sublimely beautiful OLED screen, perfect black technology, wide viewing angle and superior sound from Harman Kardon.

The only thing that detracts from the TV are the few small issues it has. Namely; image deteriorating at high brightness levels, dim edges issue, unimpressive motion handling and less than perfect input lag levels. However, in the grand scheme of things we would consider these issues to be minor annoyances that only a subsect of the market will detect as opposed to fundamental problems.

Read more at 4K.com

Looks like even with the few issues all reviews agree this is the best TV on the market, too bad the same does not apply for PC monitor and gaming use.

I believe the high rate of image retention which I'm afraid in my case with hours of static images use will turn into burn ins. The other issue is the ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter Technology) which must be very annoying with PC monitor use. For the same reason I never had any Plasma TV.
post #6709 of 24634 Old 11-06-2015, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
I have a little over 100 hours on my 65EF9500, these two reports are from the default settings, except for contrast 78, OLED 50 and Brightness 52.
I would doubt that these slight changes would make any differnce in the outcome of these reports.
To make the reports I used Calman5xxx and a Lumagen 2041 as the reference pattern generator.
I made a meter profile matrix for the Klein K10-A (Chromasurf) using a Jeti 1211(LiVal) using there respective software to make and install the meter profile matrix in the K10-A (below the Zip/txt file is the profile meter matrix report) for my 65EF9500.

Note that there is no under saturation of the primarys, and feast your eyes on the Contrast Ratio.

ss
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grayscale 11 Point 65EF9500.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	1041769   Click image for larger version

Name:	ColorSpace 65EF9500.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	1041777  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Matrix report for K10.zip (562 Bytes, 47 views)
Tomcup likes this.

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.

Last edited by sillysally; 11-06-2015 at 03:10 AM.
post #6710 of 24634 Old 11-06-2015, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Awesome results there silllysally^!

Just passed the magical 100 hour mark on my 55". I don't know if it's just placebo but I have to totally agree that the set gets so much more delicious as it ages to this point, specifically at the bottom end from 0-6 and then the top end, just over 100. I was getting pretty anxious about how much some (sub 4k) content just put me off or felt odd, and now that's gone and things just feel right and beautiful.

I also tried messing with my motion settings a bit while watching cable last night (Normally I only liked it fully off for all inputs), which might be causing some of my gleeful joy. Tested with walking dead, hotel impossible, and some HGTV shows. Haven't tried sports as I don't watch much. I have to try blu-ray with it, as the gained motion resolution looked better with it on as well in my early tests before coming to a final determined setting.

Ended up setting De-judder (top setting) to 1 and De-blur (bottom setting) to 8. Anything above 1 on de-judder introduced too much soap opera effect for my wife (and myself to an extent) and noticeable artifacts in my cable stream from Time Warner. De-blur definitely helped a lot with panning judder but something didn't seem right at a max of 10, or a medium of 5, so I went in-between. So far I feel like this setting allows a teeny tiny bit of natural 24p content judder whilst maintaining high resolution during panning and movement. It feels much closer to what I was used to from my plasma in regards to motion, but also looks better overall.

Loving the set so much now

Oh and Halo 5 looks awesome. No complaints of input lag here (HDMI1 as PC labeled PC) and I play competitively in arena (Platinum rank 6 so far) and stomp on kids so...
A while back I also made sure to turn off auto-update and any other live tv or whatever features the TV has that may parse data or use processing power.
xHavokx likes this.
post #6711 of 24634 Old 11-06-2015, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
That's fair...if you are watching mostly low grade source material perhaps this set isn't for you. I've always found that the bigger and the better the TV, the worse SD and highly compressed material will look on it, and that's been true even with the best LCD displays over the years. I rather frequently end up having to watch hockey in SD because many of the games aren't in HD on the satellite, I usually watch those on my cheap 42" LG LCD in the bedroom, because yes they look better on that set since you can't see the flaws as easily especially from a distance.
Thanks. I want to clarify that I have no expectations for SD nor do I watch much if any SD. I can live with that. My main source is Dish HD channels, including locals. The latter have been looking better lately on dish. I believe much of Dish is 1080i but have read compression is somewhat worse than Direct and in many areas better than cable. ESPN, e.g. Looks just fine for football...haven't seen the hockey SD so can't say. Netflix, iTunes, and other 1080p sources are better through Apple TV and I presume they would be fine on LG OLED. I'm hoping we are getting 1080p on HBO and show time apps on ATV, and that would help a lot. My interest and hope is when we get over the yellow and pink blobs and dark edges issues we will begin to hear and see more from owners on how the set performs with the bulk of programming material available to US viewers today. I'm convinced this is the best TV PQ out there with 4K and 1080p input. I just want to know how it will do while we wait for that to become mainstream.
post #6712 of 24634 Old 11-06-2015, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Note that there is no under saturation of the primarys, and feast your eyes on the Contrast Ratio.
ss
Excellent numbers. How is the color tracking? Mine is not so good and really needed a look up table but someone else reported the opposite.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #6713 of 24634 Old 11-06-2015, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
I have a little over 100 hours on my 65EF9500, these two reports are from the default settings, except for contrast 78, OLED 50 and Brightness 52.
I would doubt that these slight changes would make any differnce in the outcome of these reports.
To make the reports I used Calman5xxx and a Lumagen 2041 as the reference pattern generator.
I made a meter profile matrix for the Klein K10-A (Chromasurf) using a Jeti 1211(LiVal) using there respective software to make and install the meter profile matrix in the K10-A (below the Zip/txt file is the profile meter matrix report) for my 65EF9500.

ss
SS,

I added your settings to my summary post giving you credit with other updates and corrections.

Hope you don't mind?

Link to summary post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post38573337

Emes likes this.

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
My YouTube Tech Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/TechFan
post #6714 of 24634 Old 11-06-2015, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Is there a dedicated calibration thread for this set? Looking for guidance start to finish, and was thinking based what I've been reading that these sets have some quirks which would make a typical calibration guide not ideal to use. I've got the DVE HD Basics Blu-Ray and an id3.
post #6715 of 24634 Old 11-06-2015, 04:33 AM

Question for Xbox one users, do you have to different setting for the input this uses, one for when gaming vs one for when watching content? I'm presuming that watching content with game settings will give a subpar experience since all the tv processing is off.
post #6716 of 24634 Old 11-06-2015, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN View Post
Is there a dedicated calibration thread for this set? Looking for guidance start to finish, and was thinking based what I've been reading that these sets have some quirks which would make a typical calibration guide not ideal to use. I've got the DVE HD Basics Blu-Ray and an id3.
As you pointed out the settings given by another member are subjective as each set is different, so unless you are asking for a dedicated thread to discuss testing techniques or what hardware software one is using it's could be pointless. Copying settings from one TV to another is not a good way to calibrate a TV since each TV will display differently. The TV also has compensation cycles which can alter those or skew those numbers from what I understand. Also a test guide is based on the what you are testing with which will also vary greatly.

I will let the experts weigh in here but that is just my opinion and I am not sure we need another thread on the TV as it usually quickly goes off topic.

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X

Last edited by satboy; 11-06-2015 at 04:46 AM.
post #6717 of 24634 Old 11-06-2015, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quick observations after my first night with a 510 65:

-As reported simply changing the picture setting to Expert 1 does wonders. I only needed to tweak brightness to get excellent shadow detail with those stunning blacks.
-As reported flesh tones are very accurate out of the box on Expert 1. LG nailed this one.
-With my limited calibration equipment (i1 Display Pro/i1 Pro 2) I think I will be happy using only the 2 point WB controls and not touching the CMS (not saying you can't do better, though lol).
-Trumotion for me was best left off. I tried User at the various recommended settings, but didn't like the results. While no plasma, I can live with it.
-For me, HDMI ARC worked well. Of course, I still needed to use a Toslink connection for Netflix and the other apps.
-Pointer control is OK, but will take some getting used to. I will still be using my Harmony for most things.

Looking forward to a weekend of great movie watching!

LG 65EF9500 OLED Display
Oppo BDP-203,Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC, MF V-LINK 192
Parasound P5, Marantz SR-6010, EAD PM 1000 and PM 500 amps
NHT 2.5i (2), NHT AC-1 (1), NHT 1.5 (2), PSB XA (4)
Outlaw Ultra X12 and LFM-1 EX subwoofers
post #6718 of 24634 Old 11-06-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy View Post
As you pointed out the settings given by another member are subjective as each set is different, so unless you are asking for a dedicated thread to discuss testing techniques or what hardware software one is using it's could be pointless. Copying settings from one TV to another is not a good way to calibrate a TV since each TV will display differently. The TV also has compensation cycles which can alter those or skew those numbers from what I understand. Also a test guide is based on the what you are testing with which will also vary greatly.

I will let the experts weigh in here but that is just my opinion and I am not sure we need another thread on the TV as it usually quickly goes off topic.
I'm taking about the step to perform a calibration, not using someone else's settings.
post #6719 of 24634 Old 11-06-2015, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN View Post
I'm taking about the step to perform a calibration, not using someone else's settings.
ah, that makes sense, sorry

Would that depend on what testing application or disc you are using?

post #6720 of 24634 Old 11-06-2015, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So i passed 30 hours on my set last night and everything just looks way better now. Watching 720p / 1080i TV programming through my TiVO Bolt looks amazing now. Watching the first 2 minutes of Sneaky Pete in ultra 4K HDR off amazon was simply jaw dropping. I tried all the things that looked awful in the first 20 hours and now they looked exceptional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page