LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36646Likes

post #751 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
Got some pics of my new panel, the vignette is much better, I have to really look for it rather than it being intrusive. It's minor enough that I will stick with this panel.

I saw the js9500 at bb while exchanging my set, it looked great and I would have gotten it if this panel wasn't good.

If you visit the htpc build forum you may have seen my 4K build post. Finally got that all set up as well
Trust me, I've had the js9500 - this ef9500 is just way way way better.
Spizz, shyguy3763 and Sammie2980 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So if I was able to pick this up for $5200 at Bestbuy would it be wise of me?

Essentially I have a friend who works at a local retailer in my city and he does all the purchasing for their stock. He made me a invoice for their cost of this tv and said to get it price matched.

What do you think?
post #753 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5376 Post(s)
Liked: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonEnergy View Post

Essentially I have a friend who works at a local retailer in my city and he does all the purchasing for their stock. He made me a invoice for their cost of this tv and said to get it price matched.

What do you think?
Yes, because you would also get Elite member status, which gives you 45 days to evaluate the tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:

What do you think?
Absolutely without hesitation. Go there now.
post #755 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Quote:

What do you think?
Yes, because you would also get Elite member status, which gives you 45 days to evaluate the tv.
I've already spent 15k with them on Mac computers for my business. They already let me know I had that membership. I didn't realize I got the extra return policy though!
post #756 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4835
Quote:
Got some pics of my new panel, the vignette is much better, I have to really look for it rather than it being intrusive. It's minor enough that I will stick with this panel.

I saw the js9500 at bb while exchanging my set, it looked great and I would have gotten it if this panel wasn't good.

If you visit the htpc build forum you may have seen my 4K build post. Finally got that all set up as well
That looks pretty good - thanks.

Since this appears to be bright-room viewing, it would be interesting to see what happens to the Vignetting when you turn down OLED Light for nightime viewing. Without a meter, here is how to set a nightime viewing mode using your eyeballs and the AHSHD709 or GCD calibration disc available here on AVS:

1/ set contrast to 100

2/ set OLED light to a low value like 20

3/ put on a movie like Dak Knight or something not too bright and slowly increase OLED Light until the brightness of the image seems watchable (not too dark). Be sure to allow your eyes time tomadjust to the dark room first.

4/ put on the dark pluge pattern and adjust brightness until 17 is just barely visible.

5/ put on the white pluge pattern and reduce contrast until all levels above 235 are viewable.

6/ cycle back to check brightness and adjust if needed.

7/ check your dark content one more time and if you are not happy with the brightness of the image, adjust OLED light and repeat steps 4-6.

Once completed, snap new shots of your 5% and 10% greyscale screens to check whether the lower OLED Light setting for dark-room viewing results in some further improvement...
post #757 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
OK, even though I didn't want to, I figured I would post these since that's what you guys want to see.

First one is 100 OLED, second is 50 OLED.

The uniformity is a little off, no doubt because black levels aren't properly set, causing some unevenness - Going to wait until it's dark outside to set them correctly.

Really, can't even notice in content. Also, the camera makes it look worse than it does to the eye.
If you can repeat these shots in the dark after reducing OLED light and setting Contrast and Brightness for dark-room viewing as I just explained in the previous post to 10K, you may achieve hero status here on AVS
post #758 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Quote:
OK, even though I didn't want to, I figured I would post these since that's what you guys want to see.

The uniformity is a little off, no doubt because black levels aren't properly set, causing some unevenness - Going to wait until it's dark outside to set them correctly.

Really, can't even notice in content. Also, the camera makes it look worse than it does to the eye.
If you can repeat these shots in the dark after reducing OLED light and setting Contrast and Brightness for dark-room viewing as I just explained in the previous post to 10K, you may achieve hero status here on AVS
I can try tomorrow. As you can see though, it is a pretty dark setting as it was! For the mean time take the difference between 100 and 50 oled light and extrapolate to 30 light

Send me some patterns of whatever you want tested I'll get around to it tomorrow morning.

Edit: send me a timestamp of dark knight you want to see and I'll do it.

Last edited by alexanderg823; 09-19-2015 at 04:32 PM.
post #759 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post
I found the ABL on the 9300 slightly annoying. Good to hear that it's been improved!

Can anyone comment on the Color vs the 9300? I've found that both 9300 I've owned/seen had wonky looking colors that no amount of tweaking could fix. Hoping the OTB colors are at least acceptable and won't require a calibration like the 9300.

Also, is the Amazon HDR working on this model yet?
Colors issues were fixed with the eg9600 minus cms controls.
post #760 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I can try tomorrow. As you can see though, it is a pretty dark setting as it was! For the mean time take the difference between 100 and 50 oled light and extrapolate to 30 light

Send me some patterns of whatever you want tested I'll get around to it tomorrow morning.
If you have never used the pluge patterns to adjust brightness and contrast by eye, it is worth downloading the AVSHD709 and GCD test patterns here on AVS (free ).

You can use them to get brightness set properly so that the first video levels are just barely visible. 5% is actually pretty bright when brightness is set properly (similar to the shots posted brothers like 10K). Your 5%nscteen shots appear too dark (which may be because Brightness is set too low).

As an example, I have my 55EC9300 set for dark-room viewing (comfortable luminance that proves to be about 100 cd/m2 as measured by my meter). The resulting settings are:

OLED Light 26

Contrast 96

Brightness 56

If the Vignetting is highly dependant on OLED Light setting, I'm curios whether it improves further as you get down to 25-30.

That, and please place your camera on a table for a long exposure time .

Thanks again.
post #761 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Shame that a TV with a panel with basically 0 response time has such a high input lag. I'm wondering if I can simulate the higher input lag on my current TV to see if I'd notice it? My eh5300 has about 28ms of input lag so I'd like to add about 20ms.

Also anyone know if you can force 1080p120hz into this TV? And how the 4:4:4 handling is at both 4K and 1080p?
ChaosCloud likes this.
post #762 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:

If you have never used the pluge patterns to adjust brightness and contrast by eye, it is worth downloading the AVSHD709 and GCD test patterns here on AVS (free ).

You can use them to get brightness set properly so that the first video levels are just barely visible. 5% is actually pretty bright when brightness is set properly (similar to the shots posted brothers like 10K). Your 5%nscteen shots appear too dark (which may be because Brightness is set too low).

As an example, I have my 55EC9300 set for dark-room viewing (comfortable luminance that proves to be about 100 cd/m2 as measured by my meter). The resulting settings are:

OLED Light 26

Contrast 96

Brightness 56

If the Vignetting is highly dependant on OLED Light setting, I'm curios whether it improves further as you get down to 25-30.

That, and please place your camera on a table for a long exposure time .

Thanks again.
I will be working on the brightness calibration early tomorrow morning - I know its not correctly set but I didn't want to handle that during the day as my apartment gets some light through the blinds from the atrium of my building.

I'll gladly test 25 oled brightness on the 5% as well. I will not be testing 10% as I feel like that is moot if you're going for the 5%.

Also please find me a timestamp of dark knight to test - I'm actually kind of interested myself but its been so long I don't know what would be best to test for!
post #763 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Feeling much better about the EF9500 now after seeing a lot of these pics of the 65" models. So far we have seen one that is virtually perfect and many others with much improved vignette as opposed to the EG series. This makes me very excited about this display.

So far we have only seen one? That was pretty bad. Not bad this early on. Plus if it improves with hours on the panel then even those with a minimal amount should see improvement also

LivingRoom: LG OLED77C8P /Oppo UDP-203/Denon X8500H/SVS SB16 ULTRA/M5300-PM/Paradigm 85F, 45c, Mythos Gem XL x4, SVS Prime Elevation x4 /PS4 Pro/X1X/Switch/AppleTV 4K
Bedroom: LG OLED65E6P / Oppo BDP103D / AppleTV // Office: Sony 55A9F / X1X
ISF Level I Certified, CalMan VideoPro, ChromaPure, i1D3 Pro, i1Pro, C6 HDR 2000, VideoForge Pro, Lightspace
post #764 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
I would assume so, I don't have Amazon Prime, but HDR does work out of the box.

I tested the Exodus and Life of Pi HDR demos.

On my old JS9500 I found the Life of Pi HDR demo much more impressive - The Colors popped like crazy and the Exodus demo seemed good, but rather subdued.

On this set, it seems quite the opposite. The Exodus demo looked superb, whereas the Life of Pi demo didn't seem quite as... I don't know, bursting and in your face as it did from my memory on the JS9500. I was certainly seeing more detail in the dark portions of that demo on the OLED compared to the JS9500, which probably had something to do with it.

Nevertheless, I'm pleased especially with the Exodus material - As I feel it better represents what's going to be typical live action 4K HDR content.

I may splurge and get Amazon Prime tomorrow to check out Casanova and the others (my trial period ended after I got rid of the JS9500). We'll see. I'm about to roll out for the night so probably not much more to test out today.

Hope I've been of some help to you all. I know how anxious I was to hear any nugget of info I could on this TV up until the moment I bought it, so I felt obligated to share as much (no matter how insignificant) as I could.
Thanks.

Just wondering why you returned the JS9500 and why the LG is so much better. I also had the JS9500 and returned it because my set had really bad blooming which was worse then what others were reporting and I assumed that maybe my set was defectiive but I never bought another to test out.

Overall I really liked the Samsung. I found the colors to be great and much better then the EC9300/ I really liked the motion on it, and with the clear setting it was really judder free with no SOE.

Also, kinda got addicted to the brightness, even though I watch in a dark room. LOL. That brightness, especially with good HDR like Casanova on Amazon really wowed me and the tonal range of the colors was greatly expanded. To me Casanova is probably the best picture I've ever seen and makes me excited for future HDR, especially UHD Bluray.

The viewing angles on the Samsung were atrocious however, and I could easily see that as a deal breaker for many.

However, I prefered the picture on the JS9500. The blacks were OK, and there was the blooming (which may have been a defect) but everything else was better on the JS9500 (motion, color, brightness, ETC)
post #765 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 05:28 PM

My Bestbuy rep just informed me they will price match the local competitor. This is so awesome. They get a shipment in next week. I will be picking one up.

65EF9500 for 5199$ at Bestbuy.
zielin, fafrd, wxman and 5 others like this.
post #766 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post
Quote:
I would assume so, I don't have Amazon Prime, but HDR does work out of the box.

I tested the Exodus and Life of Pi HDR demos.

On my old JS9500 I found the Life of Pi HDR demo much more impressive - The Colors popped like crazy and the Exodus demo seemed good, but rather subdued.

On this set, it seems quite the opposite. The Exodus demo looked superb, whereas the Life of Pi demo didn't seem quite as... I don't know, bursting and in your face as it did from my memory on the JS9500. I was certainly seeing more detail in the dark portions of that demo on the OLED compared to the JS9500, which probably had something to do with it.

Nevertheless, I'm pleased especially with the Exodus material - As I feel it better represents what's going to be typical live action 4K HDR content.

I may splurge and get Amazon Prime tomorrow to check out Casanova and the others (my trial period ended after I got rid of the JS9500). We'll see. I'm about to roll out for the night so probably not much more to test out today.

Hope I've been of some help to you all. I know how anxious I was to hear any nugget of info I could on this TV up until the moment I bought it, so I felt obligated to share as much (no matter how insignificant) as I could.
Thanks.

Just wondering why you returned the JS9500 and why the LG is so much better. I also had the JS9500 and returned it because my set had really bad blooming which was worse then what others were reporting and I assumed that maybe my set was defectiive but I never bought another to test out.

Overall I really liked the Samsung. I found the colors to be great and much better then the EC9300/ I really liked the motion on it, and with the clear setting it was really judder free with no SOE.

Also, kinda got addicted to the brightness, even though I watch in a dark room. LOL. That brightness, especially with good HDR like Casanova on Amazon really wowed me and the tonal range of the colors was greatly expanded. To me Casanova is probably the best picture I've ever seen and makes me excited for future HDR, especially UHD Bluray.

The viewing angles on the Samsung were atrocious however, and I could easily see that as a deal breaker for many.

However, I prefered the picture on the JS9500. The blacks were OK, and there was the blooming (which may have been a defect) but everything else was better on the JS9500 (motion, color, brightness, ETC)

I returned the js9500 because I thought the blooming was atrocious and I got the WD hard drive and watched exodus and maze runner in HDR and saw that the blooming was atrocious on high brightness objects.

Js9500 was great in some scenarios, but it could display a very ugly head in dark scenarios.

The 65ef9500 after one day seems to have all the benefits and none of the negatives.

It gets very bright. . You see light emitting, its not a dull light, its a very pretty light. ABL is, for all intents and purposes, gone. It gets much brighter than the ec9300.

And of course there's no blooming. It solved my number one issue with it. And of course you get perfect viewing angles as well.

I encourage you and anyone else to just take the plunge. I've used the js8500, js9000, js9500, ec9300. This is just on another level.

I watched all of the Samsung SUHD demos - even the color ones with the bright white fireworks. It wasn't dim, it just exploded off the screen. It was incredible. This is the real 4k HDR next gen display we've been waiting for. I guarantee no one will be disappointed.

From the moment you boot up and see the bright pink web OS logo against the black background you will be impressed and understand
Ayla, wxman, DrBoogie and 8 others like this.

Last edited by alexanderg823; 09-19-2015 at 05:39 PM.
post #767 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I will be working on the brightness calibration early tomorrow morning - I know its not correctly set but I didn't want to handle that during the day as my apartment gets some light through the blinds from the atrium of my building.

I'll gladly test 25 oled brightness on the 5% as well. I will not be testing 10% as I feel like that is moot if you're going for the 5%.

Also please find me a timestamp of dark knight to test - I'm actually kind of interested myself but its been so long I don't know what would be best to test for!
The scene starting at 0:34 of Chapter 9 of Dark Knight is one of my favorites for testing shadow detail...

And I agree, if 5% looks OK, 10% will be fine.
post #768 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie2980 View Post
Feeling much better about the EF9500 now after seeing a lot of these pics of the 65" models. So far we have seen one that is virtually perfect and many others with much improved vignette as opposed to the EG series. This makes me very excited about this display.

So far we have only seen one? That was pretty bad. Not bad this early on. Plus if it improves with hours on the panel then even those with a minimal amount should see improvement also
But I heard back on page 3 that LG and OLED had permanent problems that were never going away and nothing ever was going to get fixed!?

post #769 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
Quote:
That looks pretty good - thanks.

Since this appears to be bright-room viewing, it would be interesting to see what happens to the Vignetting when you turn down OLED Light for nightime viewing. Without a meter, here is how to set a nightime viewing mode using your eyeballs and the AHSHD709 or GCD calibration disc available here on AVS:

1/ set contrast to 100

2/ set OLED light to a low value like 20

3/ put on a movie like Dak Knight or something not too bright and slowly increase OLED Light until the brightness of the image seems watchable (not too dark). Be sure to allow your eyes time tomadjust to the dark room first.

4/ put on the dark pluge pattern and adjust brightness until 17 is just barely visible.

5/ put on the white pluge pattern and reduce contrast until all levels above 235 are viewable.

6/ cycle back to check brightness and adjust if needed.

7/ check your dark content one more time and if you are not happy with the brightness of the image, adjust OLED light and repeat steps 4-6.

Once completed, snap new shots of your 5% and 10% greyscale screens to check whether the lower OLED Light setting for dark-room viewing results in some further improvement...
The tv is actually in my basement media room which is light controlled. I had some light on so you could see the edge of the tv in the pics.

Here's 5 and 10 at oled 20

I get best subjective results when I set brightness to clip 17 on the pluge pattern.
fafrd, Morning5 and ChaosCloud like this.
post #770 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

At led 20 he vignette is more noticeable on the right,but nowhere near as bad as my first panel. Left hand side is there but not noticeable unless I stare at it.

A great scene to test the vignette is in dark knight rises chapter 2 when the cops are having the gunfight in the alley after Catowoman meets the guy in the bar. Also when Gordon is in the subway with the swat guys.
post #771 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjieyoub View Post
Worth noting on input lag that even though my readings are all over the place, apparently Bodnar says you judge from the lowest reading and getting a range is normal. I got 47ms a couple times from the 9500, so thinking there's an improvement here.
Was it in pc mode and game mode?
post #772 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
The tv is actually in my basement media room which is light controlled. I had some light on so you could see the edge of the tv in the pics.

Here's 5 and 10 at oled 20

I get best subjective results when I set brightness to clip 17 on the pluge pattern.
Thanks. It's not perfect but it's a d*mn sight better than some of the 65EG9600s we have seen.

Will be interested to understand whether you ever notice the Vignetting once you more time in with your new toy .
post #773 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie2980 View Post

No evidence so far that there is the least bit of change on Vignetting with use (while near-black-nonuniformity/past remaking/DSE does seem to improve with use...).

Me, I'm waiting for Buzz767's report before declaring victory for LG .
post #774 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

On my old panel the banding mostly disappeared with use but the vignette did not change at all.

My current one certainly isn't perfect but it isn't distracting in the real content that was driving me nuts on the old panel.

Now it's time to watch content instead of my equipment
fafrd, shyguy3763 and Yappadappadu like this.
post #775 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 35
LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought this tv could do 10 bit, no? Is it the source here, that's not doing 10 bit? What sources can provide it?
post #776 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My nvidia 950 can only do 8 bit in rgb444 at 4k60.

Ycbcr 420 and 422 can do 12bit at 4k60.

At 4k30 it can do 12bit regardless of format.
post #777 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ok, so with the right video card, you could pull off 4k60, RGB 4:4:4 10 bit & up?
post #778 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121dj View Post
correct me if i'm wrong but i thought this tv could do 10 bit, no? Is it the source here, that's not doing 10 bit? What sources can provide it?
hdr
post #779 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121dj View Post
Ok, so with the right video card, you could pull off 4k60, RGB 4:4:4 10 bit & up?
i think hdmi 2.0 can only do rgb 444 8bit.
post #780 of 24641 Old 09-19-2015, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:

For a second I thought I clicked the wrong thread. Your first picture looks exactly like an edge-lit LED LCD with backlight bleed. Usually these OLEDs are brightest in the center but yours shows a dark center, brighter sides, then another small area of darkness. LG is all over the map with their manufacturing process when it comes to uniformity.

None of the pictures posted on this thread have really been very good if you adjust brightness to make the uniformity issues easier to see. I would recommend waiting to see what Panasonic brings to the game. I suspect they will be just as bad. But at least you can rest easy knowing that there won't be some magical fix on a future OLED model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page