LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 299 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36646Likes

post #8941 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
*shrug* a very experienced calibrator (Buzz) said it doesn't. CR happened to agree with him.

And yes, of course, this TV isn't going to look like a studio master . How in the world are you even getting a studio master on your TV? DirecTV? OTA? BluRay? Unless you are a pocketing a studio hard drive on your way out the door, you'll never see PQ at that level in your house. It's converted and compressed and scaled and processed a million times before it gets to you.

I don't work in network TV, but I can tell you I consider DirecTV to be crap. Their PQ stinks. Overly compressed. Really visible in dark scenes. OTA is the same thing. Streaming depends on the source, but as most places stream to the masses that don't have 1Gbps connections, they are going to be compressed down.
It's not worth further debate here.

I offered a contrary viewpoint to yours for those considering all sides of the discussion.

It's up to others to decide whether the calibration settings offered within this thread are acceptable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8942 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvad View Post
CNET's Calibration Setting for the 65EF9500 contain setting for Method:2 Points and Method:20 Points.
They have sharpness at 0 as well .

Anyways, regarding the CNET settings, its been advised many times not to use them. Dunno how long you've been in the thread. The pro calibrators have stated that because they used BT.1886, they had to do all the crazy color adjustments to bring the colors back in line. I think one of the calibrators even said something along the lines of "between 1886 and all the color corrections, who the hell knows what is going on with that set".
post #8943 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Start with Buzz's settings in the first post, or the CR settings and you are going to be 99% of the way there. $20 on a WOW BluRay to finalize the dial in if you want to squeeze that remaining 1% out of it.

No need to spend any more then the $20 on the WOW disc as this TV is pretty much perfect with the aforementioned settings. Even the pro calibrators tell you that .
Thanks, any advice on Pandora the App frozen or locked screen.

or my surround sound system?
I set my TV so that now everything connects to the TV via HDMI with an ARC HDMI going to the Onkyo TX709 receiver through PCM. But I don't here my rear surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8944 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5376 Post(s)
Liked: 3789
Quote:
I don't work in network TV, but I can tell you I consider DirecTV to be crap. Their PQ stinks. Overly compressed. Really visible in dark scenes. OTA is the same thing. Streaming depends on the source, but as most places stream to the masses that don't have 1Gbps connections, they are going to be compressed down.
DirecTV gets worse with each passing year. The only way to lessen the effect, is to sit further away from tv. At least 10 feet. It still doesn't look great, but it's hard to see the compression artifacts. You really need 2 chairs. One at 10 plus feet for DirecTV and the other 7 to 8 feet away for Blu Ray.
post #8945 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 93
IMO any yellow bands or blobs of any size would be exchanged. Clean whites are a must, I can deal with 3% black issues .
post #8946 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Don't you wonder what the true xyY is then? There's a reason pros always profile a colorimeter from a spectro device.

As to your 30-60% blue push (actually there is only Red push like on the Panasonic VT30) - here's mine out of the box. Any time you get numbers +/- 5% you're doing just fine unless you want a full blown THX, ISF, or high end experienced enthusiast calibration.

I don't have the equipment to profile it sadly, and I was going to hire a professional whenever I got a working set. I had a blue push on my second set that I noticed immediately when watching the first movie, even in the Warm2 setting. My first EF9500 didn't have the same push. Flipping between the calibrated settings and uncalibrated settings I definitely feel my settings are far more accurate than default 20pt, but I know they aren't perfect because the meter isn't profiled. I have a professionally calibrated monitor next to it for comparison, and it's really close though.

Your chart looks a lot like mine did, but green was inbetween red and blue and blue was a bit higher. According to HCFR, there was a 3DE to 5DE blue push in the 30-60% or so, which isn't terrible but definitely not ideal.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 11-25-2015 at 03:16 PM.
post #8947 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
DirecTV gets worse with each passing year. The only way to lessen the effect, is to sit further away from tv. At least 10 feet. It still doesn't look great, but it's hard to see the compression artifacts. You really need 2 chairs. One at 10 plus feet for DirecTV and the other 7 to 8 feet away for Blu Ray.
Yes, it does. I get much better PQ on a torrent. Unless you are talking about pay channels. Those are very nice. Locals and non pay channels look like crap most of the time. Discovery looks pretty good on certain shows.

Back in September, Google announced that Google Fiber is coming to my city. I'm planning on dumping both DirecTV and Cox when that happens. All the reviews I've seen say that Google Fiber is pretty much BluRay quality.
post #8948 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post
or my surround sound system?
I set my TV so that now everything connects to the TV via HDMI with an ARC HDMI going to the Onkyo TX709 receiver through PCM. But I don't here my rear surrounds.
That's because you need to use your AVR as the "hub", not the TV. Besides, you can't pass anything but lossy audio via ARC (when it even works).

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #8949 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPOLED View Post
IMO any yellow bands or blobs of any size would be exchanged. Clean whites are a must, I can deal with 3% black issues .
Clean whites with the 65 is extremely rare from all the photos I have seen. Some have slight discoloration, others are more severe. It's just how far down the rabbit hole you want to go to get a perfect screen. My third one had the least amount of issues. Still some slight yellow on the left, but not as bad as the yellow piss stain on my first on, or the yellow blob in the middle on my second one. Chasing the perfect panel may lead to insanity!
post #8950 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Back in September, Google announced that Google Fiber is coming to my city. I'm planning on dumping both DirecTV and Cox when that happens. All the reviews I've seen say that Google Fiber is pretty much BluRay quality.
...except when it doesn't work at all, like during the freaking World Series game! Why don't people put their location in their profile

post #8951 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, it does. I get much better PQ on a torrent. Unless you are talking about pay channels. Those are very nice. Locals and non pay channels look like crap most of the time. Discovery looks pretty good on certain shows.

I actually dropped my cable/satellite service a year ago and haven't missed it at all. $80/month freed up, that can be used to purchase much higher quality 1080p WEBDLs. For everything that can wait, I just buy the BD discs when they come out.

Quote:
Clean whites with the 65 is extremely rare from all the photos I have seen. Some have slight discoloration, others are more severe. It's just how far down the rabbit hole you want to go to get a perfect screen. My third one had the least amount of issues. Still some slight yellow on the left, but not as bad as the yellow piss stain on my first on, or the yellow blob in the middle on my second one. Chasing the perfect panel may lead to insanity!
I think the only way to get a perfect 100% white pattern is with the 55". There's a few rare 65s that come close, but they still have a ever so slight pink tint in some areas. Not a problem if the only thing someone is doing is watching movies, but if you plan on using it as a monitor or something you can see these issues easily when on the desktop.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 11-25-2015 at 03:26 PM.
post #8952 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My local cable company is going to offer 1GB service sometime in 2016. Whether or not that reaches my neighborhood is still unknown.
hillaustin likes this.
post #8953 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
That's because you need to use your AVR as the "hub", not the TV. Besides, you can't pass anything but lossy audio via ARC (when it even works).
I went through ARC because I couldn't hear my streaming VUDU or netflix movies through the surround. How Do I If fix this? I desperately need help. The Wifi on the TV is awesome. Streams everything with no buffering. Nothing else in my house did.
post #8954 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
So you have them too? Nearly 300 page thread with nothing said about this until I pointed them out a few pages back. Why isn't this more of a known issue than the yellow band or (especially) vignette. In my eyes, it's a far worse issue.

If I could get back my old EF9500 with the faint yellow band I would. The blocky blacks on this one ruin so many scenes and I've put a good 10 something hours into 20pt calibration trying to fix it. It's impossible, it's simply a limitation or defect in the panel.

Called Best Buy and they told me I have until Jan 15th to file an exchange, so I may just wait for more 511s (or even 512s) to hit because it seems like blocky blacks are potentially a new widespread issue.

Have you experienced blocky blacks with any of the EF9500s you've seen? If so, any way to fix it? The 0%-5% blacks on my set are 4bit at best, but if I had to guess they are closer to 2bit. Banding, blockiness, and just awful night scenes. Tried all gamma settings, tried flatting gamma using 20pts, tried factory resetting. I've been on your waiting list to get calibration for like 6 months now, but I keep having to push it back because I can't seem to get a good set.

http://ft.trillian.im/50117e87623ed7...KnPpFveg6a.jpg
Can you post a pic of a grayscale ramp with the darker shades near the center of the screen (to avoid vignette)?
post #8955 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:
Have you experienced blocky blacks with any of the EF9500s you've seen? If so, any way to fix it? The 0%-5% blacks on my set are 4bit at best, but if I had to guess they are closer to 2bit. Banding, blockiness, and just awful night scenes. Tried all gamma settings, tried flatting gamma using 20pts, tried factory resetting. I've been on your waiting list to get calibration for like 6 months now, but I keep having to push it back because I can't seem to get a good set.

http://ft.trillian.im/50117e87623ed7...KnPpFveg6a.jpg
I have noticed an anomaly with test patterns that would probably cause blocky blacks, but no I have not seen the blocky blacks themselves. The reason could be that when I do see the anomaly I correct it, so it would be corrected by the time I view content.

The anomaly, which I briefly mentioned in a previous post, is a condition where, when displaying a brightness pattern with bars at each dark digital level, a bar that should be reproduced at a brighter level than the bar below it is actually darker. For example, let's say level 16 (black) and below are totally dark. 17 is just barely noticeable up close in a dark room, as it should be. 18 gets noticeably brighter, as it should. Then 19 is inexplicably darker than 18, and 20 resumes normal progress being brighter than 18. That "hole" at 19 can cause blocky and blotchy artifacts near black. It is able to be calibrated out, through a careful combination and intentional interaction between primarily the brightness adjustment and the 5% band of the 20 point control, among others. My advice to help you calibrate it out: don't "fight" too much with the TV's natural gamma at 5% after adjusting brightness. Adjust brightness so 16 and below are totally dark and 17 or 18 are barely visible up close in a dark room. Then finesse the 5% control in conjunction mainly with the brightness and make sure all the low end digital levels from 17 and up ideally progress in brightness, or at the least that there are no "holes" or broblem bands that are darker than their surrounding levels.
Tomcup likes this.

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS540, JVC RS3000, Sony VPL-VW695ES
Copied settings measured, Review archive
post #8956 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPOLED View Post
Second Amazon update in two days, anyone know why?

Actually I noticed that the UHD resolution seems much more steady not dropping to 1080P.
I had an update yesterday, but not today; if I knew how to tell what version (once you're not on the download screen) I would check.

post #8957 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post
I went through ARC because I couldn't hear my streaming VUDU or netflix movies through the surround. How Do I If fix this? I desperately need help. The Wifi on the TV is awesome. Streams everything with no buffering. Nothing else in my house did.
If I understand your setup correctly, use the optical (Toslink) from TV->AVR instead of ARC. If I didn't understand correctly, then I don't know why your internet connection doesn't work as well on your other device(s) as it does on the TV.

post #8958 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
I don't have the equipment to profile it sadly, and I was going to hire a professional whenever I got a working set. I had a blue push on my second set that I noticed immediately when watching the first movie, even in the Warm2 setting. My first EF9500 didn't have the same push. Flipping between the calibrated settings and uncalibrated settings I definitely feel my settings are far more accurate than default 20pt, but I know they aren't perfect because the meter isn't profiled. I have a professionally calibrated monitor next to it for comparison, and it's really close though.

Your chart looks a lot like mine did, but green was inbetween red and blue and blue was a bit higher. According to HCFR, there was a 3DE to 5DE blue push in the 30-60% or so, which isn't terrible but definitely not ideal.
Not being critical so don't take it that way. Many of the new guys with some calibration equipment come up with brand new buzz words. There is ONLY Red push as is implied with calibration. I copied the following from a post I made four years ago at NetCookingTalk where I happen to be a moderator. It's in a thread having to do with display calibration. Don't ask me why it's there - kinda like having recipes on AVS. lol

The manufacturer's marketing departments long ago discovered that perceived brightness in pictures is what sells. As a result, from the factory, the whites are actually very blue as this makes the sets appear to be brighter. Then, in order to keep the blue out of skin tones which would make Caucasians look like Smurfs, they add what is known as "red push", a technique that intentionally corrupts the color decoder and does all sorts of weird (read bad) things to colors.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #8959 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My local cable company is going to offer 1GB service sometime in 2016. Whether or not that reaches my neighborhood is still unknown.
Cox goes up to 300Mbps, but they want $100/mo for it. They have *1* apartment building in my city that has fiber and can do 1Gbps. I think its $100 or so... they are going to have a rude awakening when Google comes to town and gives 1Gbps for $70 and TV for $60. Cox will get priced out. I don't really have any issues with Cox to be honest. I get 65Mbps down for $61.99/mo and if they can do 1Gbps for $70 when Google goes to town, then maybe... but if I'm gonna switch to Google for TV, might as well do both and get the bundle.

The good thing about Cox is they don't own any content like say Time Warner, so they don't really care what you do on their network... wink, wink, nudge, nudge .

You can get DirecTV discounted, if you are willing to play their game... but $75/mo for basic service with the PQ they give me is a rip off. Plus the equipment has some annoying glitches and they nickel and dime you on every tiny little bell and whistle.

My DirecTV bill would go up $10/mo just to have the **OPPORTUNITY** to order $20 4K PPVs!! .

At least they finally got rid of that stupid RSN fee.
post #8960 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
I had an update yesterday, but not today; if I knew how to tell what version (once you're not on the download screen) I would check.
Go To Content Store | My Page | Click on the App. My Amazon is 1.0.32.
post #8961 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My 65 had major crosstalk issues, so I ordered another one from Amazon that was delivered today. The 3D on this new set looks great, so there's no question the original one was defective. LG sent me a FedEx label today to return the old set to them for "disposal".

My set obviously had a massively misaligned 3D filter, but 3D on this new one seems perfect so far. I can recline, lay down, sit off to the side, stand up, sit down.........and the 3D still looks great. Anyone who says you have to be dead center with this set to be able to watch 3D without crosstalk probably has a slightly misaligned 3D filter.
post #8962 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
I have noticed an anomaly with test patterns that would probably cause blocky blacks, but no I have not seen the blocky blacks themselves. The reason could be that when I do see the anomaly I correct it, so it would be corrected by the time I view content.

The anomaly, which I briefly mentioned in a previous post, is a condition where, when displaying a brightness pattern with bars at each dark digital level, a bar that should be reproduced at a brighter level than the bar below it is actually darker. For example, let's say level 16 (black) and below are totally dark. 17 is just barely noticeable up close in a dark room, as it should be. 18 gets noticeably brighter, as it should. Then 19 is inexplicably darker than 18, and 20 resumes normal progress being brighter than 18. That "hole" at 19 can cause blocky and blotchy artifacts near black. It is able to be calibrated out, through a careful combination and intentional interaction between primarily the brightness adjustment and the 5% band of the 20 point control, among others. My advice to help you calibrate it out: don't "fight" too much with the TV's natural gamma at 5% after adjusting brightness. Adjust brightness so 16 and below are totally dark and 17 or 18 are barely visible up close in a dark room. Then finesse the 5% control in conjunction mainly with the brightness and make sure all the low end digital levels from 17 and up ideally progress in brightness, or at the least that there are no "holes" or broblem bands that are darker than their surrounding levels.
Thanks for the info, Chad. Someone reported this recently. My 55EF doesn't do it but I'll keep your findings in mind for future calibrations.
Chad B likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #8963 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice.

My problem is that if I get 17 or even 18 flashing, 19 and above are about 2-3x brighter than they should be if I was targeting a 2.2 or 2.25 gamma. I have to crush it down so that 19 is basically my bar17, but then 19-24 or so is basically the same brightness. I've made micro adjustments to the brightness, gamma, and 5% control for about 6 hours or so and couldn't get it to play nicely. It's really annoying. =/

I experienced what you are explaining on my first EF9500 and was able to calibrate it out, but on this set the issue is much worse and spread across multiple bars. If you haven't experienced anything like this yet, I'm going to assume it's a fluke set because i'm sure you've seen more of these sets than anyone else on the thread.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 11-25-2015 at 04:28 PM.
post #8964 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
Sorry if this has already been covered in this long thread or in a review somewhere, but if not then I'm wondering if somebody could do me a favor and do some measurements related to how bright the primary colors can go and still be properly saturated. This is related to how I expect HDR to be able to do things like a bright red fire and not just how bright white highlights can be.

I've attached 4 test patterns with about 10% of the image area at 255 (either for all colors or one primary color).

If somebody has the equipment and wants to measure the saturation that would be great, but if not I wonder if a person could use a magnifying glass to see if the white sub-pixels are on when displaying the patterns for the individual primaries. I'm curious about how much proper color there is, so wouldn't want white sub-pixels on if that was bringing the red point in from the proper point for REC.709 or P3 for instance.

Thanks,
Darin
Here are the results of the test. Just to clarify, I did not use the attached patterns, but I used my pattern generator putting out the same 255 level (109%) L20 (4%) size patterns.

I first ran the test at OLED light 40, with all other settings default for ISF Expert.

I then reran the test with OLED light at 100. All results attached.

BTW, I played the 100% white Spectracal HDR-10 test pattern and got 123 fL (rounded to the nearest fL), and it popped up a message saying HDR was engaged and the OLED light and contrast were grayed out while the pattern played. Interesting that it is the same light output as non-HDR 109% white as shown in the color gamut measurements.

Also interesting to note that, on previous LG OLEDs including EF9500s, I had found a progressive multiplier of 2-4x per percentage for ajusting the 20 point white balance, but on this (the latest EF9500 that I've done) the multiplier was about half that.

Also I was able to get good 20 pt tracking even with contrast at 50, so I calibrated night mode with OLED light at 100 and contrast at 50 to virtually eliminate ABL and still achieve around 40 fL at 100% white.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1080226   Click image for larger version

Name:	40zoom.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1080234   Click image for larger version

Name:	100.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1080242   Click image for larger version

Name:	100zoom.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1080250  
dr_jason, darinp2 and CMPOLED like this.

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS540, JVC RS3000, Sony VPL-VW695ES
Copied settings measured, Review archive
post #8965 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:
Don't both SS and you have the 55" model? Neither of you seem to really have the problems many owners on here are reporting and you guys throw the sets through much more tests than us. It seems almost every single complaint is from a 65" owner.
I have the 65EF9500.

Below is the blotchy black issue, and how I corrected 90% of that issue.
The only issue I had was with streaming NetFlix using Comcast as my "high speed" internet provider. When streaming 1080P the rate would drop to 288 and then go up slowly, then back down. I now have Comcast's streaming @105 mbps, all streaming looks better even when NetFlix showed 1080P before I upgraded. Plus I am now saving $50 per mo with the upgrade.

Using my Linksys duel band (2.4/5.0 GHz) router I can only get up to about 28 mbps, if I connect directly LAN or Wi-Fi to Comcast's modem I will get speeds of 105 mbps.
My EF9500 is connected via Wi-Fi and my Oppo is connected via LAN to the Comcast modem.

I think I saw the same thing you show in your Tron screen shots, but that is pretty much gone. If the scene is dark and there is a person or dark object in front to the side you will see what appears to be Vignetting but its just someone or somethings back side.

Taking screen shots, can be deceiving.
Below you will see a screen shot of someones Panasonic 55VT60 plasma that they are selling, listed here on AVS. One of the best Plasma's ever made, but the 100% screen shots show the screen has discoloration, that I highly doubt it has in real life viewing.

My point is don't jump to conclusions. There is a good chance the issue you think is with the EF9500 may not be a issue of the EF9500, it may be something in your video chain.

ss
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole screen-55VT60.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1080266  

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
post #8966 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
There is a good chance the issue you think is with the EF9500 may not be a issue of the EF9500, it may be something in your video chain.
Excellent point. The same is true in high end audio, where folks search for flaws in their equipment when the flaws are actually in their recordings.
post #8967 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
My point is don't jump to conclusions. There is a good chance the issue you think is with the EF9500 may not be a issue of the EF9500, it may be something in your video chain.
Sadly, I tested this yesterday. I did a direct connect to my EF9500 via a PC which uses a NVIDIA Titan X GPU. I noticed the same problem in MPC-HC, VLC, and PowerDVD. I then did a direct connect using my Popcorn Hour VTEN player, and played a bunch of uncompressed blu-ray ISOs. Same issue.
post #8968 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 100
LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread

Quote:
So you have them too? Nearly 300 page thread with nothing said about this until I pointed them out a few pages back. Why isn't this more of a known issue than the yellow band or (especially) vignette. In my eyes, it's a far worse issue.

Yes I have them. The first day or so I thought I was just looking at everything too hard but I'm not... It's really happening. A lot of my blacks look like a grey and white checker board and anytime I get a small or bright object on a mostly grey or black screen it loses its mind and starts these large banding halos. Like looking at a street light through a foggy/smeared window. My first set was nothing like this.

Hard to get a good pic but there is no difference between 20 and 25 all exactly the same shade. Shouldn't there be at least some gradual change in darkness ? The pic doesn't really do it justice I promise they're all exact.
Tyrindor likes this.

LG 65c6p
Denon avr590
(2) paradigm studio 10's
Velodyne 12 sub
PS4 pro, Apple TV (3rd gen), My Cloud 3tb nas
post #8969 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake2163 View Post
Yes I have them. The first day or so I thought I was just looking at everything too hard but I'm not... It's really happening. A lot of my blacks look like a grey and white checker board and anytime I get a small or bright object on a mostly grey or black screen it loses its mind and starts these large banding halos. Like looking at a street light through a foggy/smeared window. My first set was nothing like this.

Hard to get a good pic but there is no difference between 20 and 25 all exactly the same shade. Shouldn't there be at least some gradual change in darkness ?
Yup. Bingo.

That's exactly what I see and there's no way to fix it from what I can tell. Notice how your 19 is still solid black too, very unnatural. It's like the TV forgot it needs to gradually get brighter, and instead just updates it's brightness in a couple big "chunks" until 5% or so. The result is very unnatural looking black crush and terrible gray color black levels all at the same time, and no amount of adjustment seems to fix it. It makes some night scenes seem almost like a oil painting, hard to explain.

I actually saw a scene earlier today that I wish I took a picture of, the person was wearing a black shirt that had specs of ever-so-brighter lint on it, but the EF9500 couldn't handle it. It crushed the entire shirt, but made the lint a way too bright gray. It looked like he was wearing a christmas shirt with light bulbs on it basically, I immediately paused to check the scene on my HTPC monitor and no surprise it wasn't the source.

Like you said, there's no way we somehow missed this on our previous EF9500s. We both need to exchange, I just wonder how widespread this issue is.
Blake2163 likes this.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 11-25-2015 at 05:21 PM.
post #8970 of 24641 Old 11-25-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:
Also I was able to get good 20 pt tracking even with contrast at 50, so I calibrated night mode with OLED light at 100 and contrast at 50 to virtually eliminate ABL and still achieve around 40 fL at 100% white.
Something is not correct.

You show a fl of 101 for 100% white using 50 contrast and 100 OLED light. But end up with a fl 40 after adjusting your grayscale.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page