LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 318 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36646Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9511 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 03:30 PM
cvj
Member
 
cvj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post
Has anyone been able to output 5.1 sound from the tv to the receiver? I've tried both hdmi arc and optical to an Onkyo Tx-nr709 and neither works.
Yes, I get 5.1 DD with an optical connection to my aging ROTEL sound processor (if the content is encoded for 5.1 - if not I get 2 channel PCM stereo).

If the encoding is done well, the surround sound is very convincing (to my ears and in my setup) but sometimes I have to switch to 2 channel stereo to hear the dialogue clearly but that is of course totally subjective.
cvj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9512 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tyrindor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,336
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by texansguy85 View Post
Hi guys getting ready to purchase my LG 65EG9600 but just want to make sure I am buying the best on the market and not going to regret going with the Samsung SUHD model.

Any final pros or cons I should know about? Also is there a way to make sure I've got the latest November build that's fixed all the known issues on the forums? I've been trying to decide for about 6 months and think I want to go with the LG.

Thanks.
The EG9600 doesn't have HDR over HDMI and has severe vignette issues.

I would avoid it, get the EF9500.
10k likes this.
Tyrindor is offline  
post #9513 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by texansguy85 View Post
Hi guys getting ready to purchase my LG 65EG9600 but just want to make sure I am buying the best on the market and not going to regret going with the Samsung SUHD model.
I think the first thing you should do is get the model number right (65EF9500)
Whoa what a bad ass I typed one wrong letter. You're cool dude :+1:?
texansguy85 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9514 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SledgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,291
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatisimo View Post
Oh wow, what a shame! I'm glad I got this year's model then. It has the best 3D I've ever seen on a TV, by a wide margin.
I watched the Jurrasic World 3D trailer through the 3DGO app, and umm... yeah, 3D should be dropped imo... gave me a headache and its pretty useless. Showed the JW trailer to a few people and they all said the same thing. I've packed away the glasses.
Blake2163 likes this.
SledgeHammer is offline  
post #9515 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by texansguy85 View Post
Whoa what a bad ass I typed one wrong letter. You're cool dude :+1:?
Glad this guy is in the thread now too
Tyrindor likes this.

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
boosted330 is offline  
post #9516 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SledgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,291
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
Talked to an lg rep at Best Buy for like an hour about this tv. He showed me what BB pays for this set....only 3200$ so that's a pretty good margin. Prices will drop to 4K or less after holidays just pe patient . I'm probably will just wait for the new 2016 models that from rumors are going to blow these 2015 models out the water for the same 5k price.
Increased DCI-P3 coverage, rec2020, more nits, fix vignetting, fix pink and yellow, maybe a 60", better motion, wireless AC (compatible with MU-MIMO), faster processors, dolby HDR.
SledgeHammer is offline  
post #9517 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tyrindor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,336
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by texansguy85 View Post
Whoa what a bad ass I typed one wrong letter. You're cool dude :+1:?
Totally different TVs there buddy, if you are getting the EG9600, you are in the wrong thread.
Stanton and Nugget like this.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 11-30-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Tyrindor is offline  
post #9518 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Member
 
webminster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm at a total loss what to do with my set, due to the motion issues. Like a few have said, I see the hiccups in the video, principally on cable network such as CBS or NBC shows, like the CPU or DSP misses frames. I've not found any combination of TruMotion settings to fix it, and since the signal coming into the TV is 1080p, I can't manually disable RealCinema.

If I go to PC input mode and set black level high, it feels better. But occasionally I turn the TV on and blacks are all grey, like it forget to establish the PC levels... usually a power cycle fixes that, but has bad WAF (and self AF).

This was on the 20.07 firmware, and also on the .50 firmware (took a chance and upgraded to it, now regret it). Have no idea where to go next.
webminster is offline  
post #9519 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Plano, TX USA
Posts: 3,852
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1768 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
Increased DCI-P3 coverage, rec2020, more nits, fix vignetting, fix pink and yellow, maybe a 60", better motion, wireless AC (compatible with MU-MIMO), faster processors, dolby HDR.
Hate to burst your bubble, but the only (hardware) feature improvements on that list are more nits (already mentioned) and better DCI-P3 coverage (rec2020 is a pipe dream at this point). Everything else is manufacturing defects/improvements or can be done with a firmware upgrade (Dolby HDR and motion--not that I have a problem with it); no need for faster processors and I could care less about Wi-Fi (wired Ethernet will always be superior).

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
Stanton is offline  
post #9520 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:03 PM
10k
AVS Forum Special Member
 
10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,414
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by webminster View Post
I'm at a total loss what to do with my set, due to the motion issues. Like a few have said, I see the hiccups in the video, principally on cable network such as CBS or NBC shows, like the CPU or DSP misses frames. I've not found any combination of TruMotion settings to fix it, and since the signal coming into the TV is 1080p, I can't manually disable RealCinema.
The issues you are seeing are the result of your cable box 1080p upconversion. Set your cable box to "passthrough" and let the TV handle scaling, refresh rate, and deinterlacing.
10k is offline  
post #9521 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tyrindor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,336
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by webminster View Post
If I go to PC input mode and set black level high, it feels better. But occasionally I turn the TV on and blacks are all grey, like it forget to establish the PC levels... usually a power cycle fixes that, but has bad WAF (and self AF).
My second EF9500 has the same issue, the TV randomly forgetting it's HDMI level setting and having to restart it. I actually can't use RGB on my PC because everytime I launch a game it will randomly mess up. I am forced to use YCbCr444, which i'm sure your cable box doesn't support. I'm positive the first EF9500 didn't have this issue because it even happens on my BD player (which I had to set to YCbCr444 too). I believe the .50 firmware caused it, but I have downgrade and it still does it, so who knows if it's firmware related or just some weird HDMI handshaking issue that wasn't happening before.

I have a replacement coming on the 3rd, that I won't be upgrading to the korean firmware, i'll let you know if it has the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
The issues you are seeing are the result of your cable box 1080p upconversion. Set your cable box to "passthrough" and let the TV handle scaling, refresh rate, and deinterlacing.
Hmmm, doesn't seem to be the case for me... My popcorn hour VTEN upscales 1080p 24hz to 4K 24hz, then sends the video to the display and the hiccups still happen with TrueMotion on and off. Blu-ray content. The only way I can fix it is playing video on a PC while in PC mode (real cinema/motion processing is grayed out and off). Disabling PC mode, and playing video in MPC-HC, VLC, etc the issue returns.

I've actually debated using PC mode for every single source.

I still think there's some weird EF9500 firmware issue going on, because none of this happened on my EG9600.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 11-30-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Tyrindor is offline  
post #9522 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:17 PM
Member
 
ppoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Albany, Georgia
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post
Has anyone been able to output 5.1 sound from the tv to the receiver? I've tried both hdmi arc and optical to an Onkyo Tx-nr709 and neither works.
OKAY, this problem with Stereo versus 5.1 audio output from the TV back to the receiver seems to be due to a syncing issue between the devices.

I have a Pioneer SC-99 receiver connected with an optical cable to my 65EF9500. When I switch the receiver from a video source (let's say my Apple TV 4th Generation) to the TV input on the SC-99 (setup to decode the optical audio output from the EF9500) without turning off the LG TV and then press the LG TV Home button and launch the Amazon App, all I get is stereo output from the TV through the optical cable to the receiver. If I then turn the LG EF9500 off then on again while keeping the Pioneer SC-99 powered on, the LG EF9500 re-syncs with the Pioneer SC-99 AVR. Once it does the LG EF9500 now sends 5.1 sound back to the Pioneer SC-99. I presume the LG EF9500 acts this way because of copy protection - any other thoughts?
ppoulos is offline  
post #9523 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:22 PM
Member
 
webminster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
The issues you are seeing are the result of your cable box 1080p upconversion. Set your cable box to "passthrough" and let the TV handle scaling, refresh rate, and deinterlacing.
I can't do that, it's an HTPC, not a cable box... never had these problems with my plasma connected to same box.
webminster is offline  
post #9524 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have the 55EF9500 and I'm noticing something strange.. there is a yellow blob on the top third of the screen however the biggest issue i seem to be having is that straight away viewing is kind of dull and washed out and off angle viewing is very clear, the contrast is amazing and the colors are clearly more vibrant...

Any suggestions on what this could be? i've heard many people say some color gets lost off angle, but is this the norm for ideal viewing to be less clear than off to sides including severe viewing angles... distance does not affect the issue, if i am 2 feet away on the sides or 20 feet it looks very vivid and vibrant and contrast is great, but dead on it is less sharp and washed out.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.
marburyno03 is offline  
post #9525 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,291
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5371 Post(s)
Liked: 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by marburyno03 View Post
I have the 55EF9500 and I'm noticing something strange.. there is a yellow blob on the top third of the screen however the biggest issue i seem to be having is that straight away viewing is kind of dull and washed out and off angle viewing is very clear, the contrast is amazing and the colors are clearly more vibrant...

Any suggestions on what this could be? i've heard many people say some color gets lost off angle, but is this the norm for ideal viewing to be less clear than off to sides including severe viewing angles... distance does not affect the issue, if i am 2 feet away on the sides or 20 feet it looks very vivid and vibrant and contrast is great, but dead on it is less sharp and washed out.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.
Unfortunately, that's normal if you have the yellow streak or blob. Could be a poorly applied AR fliter, the panel itself, or something else. No way to really get rid of the yellow blob or streak, other than exchanging it.
marburyno03 likes this.
wxman is offline  
post #9526 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 6,431
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by webminster View Post
I'm at a total loss what to do with my set, due to the motion issues. Like a few have said, I see the hiccups in the video, principally on cable network such as CBS or NBC shows, like the CPU or DSP misses frames. I've not found any combination of TruMotion settings to fix it, and since the signal coming into the TV is 1080p, I can't manually disable RealCinema.
Have you tried turning everything you can find off?

I've got absolutely every motion enhancer and smoother off and I'm completely happy with the motion I see.
kucharsk is offline  
post #9527 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 6,431
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoulos View Post
OKAY, this problem with Stereo versus 5.1 audio output from the TV back to the receiver seems to be due to a syncing issue between the devices.

I have a Pioneer SC-99 receiver connected with an optical cable to my 65EF9500. When I switch the receiver from a video source (let's say my Apple TV 4th Generation) to the TV input on the SC-99 (setup to decode the optical audio output from the EF9500) without turning off the LG TV and then press the LG TV Home button and launch the Amazon App, all I get is stereo output from the TV through the optical cable to the receiver. If I then turn the LG EF9500 off then on again while keeping the Pioneer SC-99 powered on, the LG EF9500 re-syncs with the Pioneer SC-99 AVR. Once it does the LG EF9500 now sends 5.1 sound back to the Pioneer SC-99. I presume the LG EF9500 acts this way because of copy protection - any other thoughts?
I honestly don't know what could be going on here. Optical digital audio is a straight bitstream with no way to "communicate" or sync, and if a 5.1 PCM stream is being sent a processor can't just decode it as two-channel.

It could be that your receiver is for some reason deciding to output the received 5.1 format audio as stereo in which case it may be a matter of changing the decoded audio format on the Pioneer.

You can verify this by checking to see if your Pioneer has a way of displaying what type of audio stream it's receiving.
kucharsk is offline  
post #9528 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4787
Upgraded the Amazon app, reregistered, and everything seems changed as far as HDR - how can you get the HDR version of Red Oaks now? I've found the HD version at the top, the SDR UHD version in the 'Ultra HD' section near the bottom, but cannot find the HDR version (that causes the 'HDR version is now on' dialog box to pop up in the upper left corner).

How does one fond HDR content in the new Amazon app?
fafrd is online now  
post #9529 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:47 PM
10k
AVS Forum Special Member
 
10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,414
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by webminster View Post
I can't do that, it's an HTPC, not a cable box... never had these problems with my plasma connected to same box.
OK that's a different story then. I'm using an HTPC as well. I built mine using an asrock z170 fatality gaming itx/ac motherboard which has onboard hdmi2.0. I sent 4k60hz 4:4:4 to the TV and have no motion problems watching cable TV with Kodi using either ServerWMC backend or the HDHomerun video plugin.

If you are using Kodi are you sure you have vertical blank syncing turned on? Fullscreen window mode can sometimes cause sync/motion issues, so make sure you are using real fullscreen mode. You can hit "z" and "o" in Kodi to see the stats on render frequency and screen refresh, as well as keep track of dropped frames etc.

One last though is that your audio setup may be causing desync. Best case is to use WASAPI passthrough mode for audio.
10k is offline  
post #9530 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:48 PM
Member
 
webminster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Have you tried turning everything you can find off?

I've got absolutely every motion enhancer and smoother off and I'm completely happy with the motion I see.
Yes. Over and repeatedly, and I just can't get anything happy.
webminster is offline  
post #9531 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Plano, TX USA
Posts: 3,852
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1768 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoulos View Post
OKAY, this problem with Stereo versus 5.1 audio output from the TV back to the receiver seems to be due to a syncing issue between the devices.
There is no syncing per se: the TV outputs whatever it outputs and the AVR should decode it (no negotiating). What you describe could in fact be an issue with the AVR, but it would help if you verify/name the movie you are playing when this 2.0/5.1 "switching" occurs. Again, the TV/app will output whatever the source audio it's playing at the time (which means it could change on the fly, but again, the AVR should react and decode it.)

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
Stanton is offline  
post #9532 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tyrindor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,336
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by marburyno03 View Post
I have the 55EF9500 and I'm noticing something strange.. there is a yellow blob on the top third of the screen however the biggest issue i seem to be having is that straight away viewing is kind of dull and washed out and off angle viewing is very clear, the contrast is amazing and the colors are clearly more vibrant...

Any suggestions on what this could be? i've heard many people say some color gets lost off angle, but is this the norm for ideal viewing to be less clear than off to sides including severe viewing angles... distance does not affect the issue, if i am 2 feet away on the sides or 20 feet it looks very vivid and vibrant and contrast is great, but dead on it is less sharp and washed out.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.
Your "blob" is probably washing out the picture because it's screwing up the white balance, it likely is making your entire set push yellow and covers more of the screen than you initially thought. The blob/yellow band generally disappears off angle, so would explain why you feel your TV looks fine when viewed off angle.

That entire issue seemed related to the filter applied in front of the screen, so I am assuming whoever/whatever applied it to your set did a very poor job.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 11-30-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Tyrindor is offline  
post #9533 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4787
Found the HDR on Amazon (much more hidden than it used to be).

Wanted to try accessing HDR content on VUDU but it appears to all be in Dolby Vision (not playable on LG OLED) - is there any HDR SMTPE content on VUDU that will play on the 65EF9500?
fafrd is online now  
post #9534 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
I watched the Jurrasic World 3D trailer through the 3DGO app, and umm... yeah, 3D should be dropped imo... gave me a headache and its pretty useless. Showed the JW trailer to a few people and they all said the same thing. I've packed away the glasses.
Don't take this the wrong way, I just don't want you to miss out on some great 3D.
Is that the only 3D you tried before chucking it up as a loss? The 3DGO app is terribly compressed poop quality. Jurassic World trailer on there looked no where near what 3D Blu Rays look like - it's all blocky - and 3D doesn't play well with blocky compression. I was kind of disappointed, but not surprised that I found the content offered in the 3DGO app of unacceptable quality as it would have been a nice way to enjoy more 3D content.

If you don't like 3D that's fine by all means, but I'd suggesting trying out a different, much less compressed source. 3D on this set, and at home in general, looks much better than in theaters too. It's like if someone didn't like this TV but only tested out 1080i cable feeds. You can find a lot of used 3D Blu Rays for decent prices, or there's lots of sales this time of the year.
EdwinB, Jess Sayin and mnam0711 like this.
Tomcup is offline  
post #9535 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 6,431
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
Increased DCI-P3 coverage, rec2020, more nits, fix vignetting, fix pink and yellow, maybe a 60", better motion, wireless AC (compatible with MU-MIMO), faster processors, dolby HDR.
Aside from assumptions as to what the fixes for vignetting are and whether LG can implement them, the balance of the things you cite are just pipe dreams, not anything that will help with the vast majority of content available today.

DCI-P3 coverage and rec2020 won't make broadcast, cable channels or Blu-rays look better. HDR is fun but at least to me, not necessary. I have zero motion complaints about the EF9500, and the difference between 802.11n and 802.11ac doesn't make a difference for streaming.

Feel free to wait, and justify it however you like, but I think you're overstating just how big these "improvements" would be.
kucharsk is offline  
post #9536 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
rx74ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 49
GUYS!!!
My new 510 came in. I had to rush in here and report.
I just viewed the near black 1 - 5% test. This TV has ZERO vignetting. It shows ZERO black flames on 1%. LG has done something here for sure.
Pics to come..........
fafrd, mattg3, wxman and 4 others like this.

Display: LG 65E6P, Speakers: 7.1, Polk Monitor 70 Biamped (R,L), Polk CS20 (Center), QPD (Rears), Yamaha (Woofer) Previous Displays: LG 65EF9500, VIZIO P702ui-B3, Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD, Sony XBR-65HX950, Toshiba 55SV670U, Mitsubishi WD-65734, Panasonic PT-47WX49
rx74ray is offline  
post #9537 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SledgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,291
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, but the only (hardware) feature improvements on that list are more nits (already mentioned) and better DCI-P3 coverage (rec2020 is a pipe dream at this point). Everything else is manufacturing defects/improvements or can be done with a firmware upgrade (Dolby HDR and motion--not that I have a problem with it); no need for faster processors and I could care less about Wi-Fi (wired Ethernet will always be superior).
Yeah, I have my TV hardwired into a wireless AC bridge. I would have done that even if the TV had AC. AC was expected at this price point and some of last years models had AC. Faster processors would help with motion and the UI speed. Its not bad, but could be a bit better.

HDMI 2.0a supports rec2020, so its something that is coming in the next few years. Whether you'll notice the diff is a different issue.
SledgeHammer is offline  
post #9538 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SledgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,291
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcup View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, I just don't want you to miss out on some great 3D.
Is that the only 3D you tried before chucking it up as a loss? The 3DGO app is terribly compressed poop quality. Jurassic World trailer on there looked no where near what 3D Blu Rays look like - it's all blocky - and 3D doesn't play well with blocky compression. I was kind of disappointed, but not surprised that I found the content offered in the 3DGO app of unacceptable quality as it would have been a nice way to enjoy more 3D content.

If you don't like 3D that's fine by all means, but I'd suggesting trying out a different, much less compressed source. 3D on this set, and at home in general, looks much better than in theaters too. It's like if someone didn't like this TV but only tested out 1080i cable feeds. You can find a lot of used 3D Blu Rays for decent prices, or there's lots of sales this time of the year.
Not sure if I thought it was overly compressed or not. Just gave me and my guests a headache lol. Plus, the 3D scenes looked overly "contrived". One of my guests commented that Avatar was better because it was built from the ground up as 3D where as JW looked like it was an add on.
Tomcup likes this.
SledgeHammer is offline  
post #9539 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SledgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,291
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Aside from assumptions as to what the fixes for vignetting are and whether LG can implement them, the balance of the things you cite are just pipe dreams, not anything that will help with the vast majority of content available today.

DCI-P3 coverage and rec2020 won't make broadcast, cable channels or Blu-rays look better. HDR is fun but at least to me, not necessary. I have zero motion complaints about the EF9500, and the difference between 802.11n and 802.11ac doesn't make a difference for streaming.

Feel free to wait, and justify it however you like, but I think you're overstating just how big these "improvements" would be.
I already bought my TV. The EF9500 . I was just sayin... that's what is likely coming. There isn't any big, fantastic tech coming down the pike any time soon.

n vs. ac makes a big difference in buffering.

I doubt the human eye can tell the diff between DCI-P3 and rec2020 in real life content.
SledgeHammer is offline  
post #9540 of 24634 Old 11-30-2015, 05:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Blake2163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx74ray View Post
GUYS!!!

My new 510 came in. I had to rush in here and report.

I just viewed the near black 1 - 5% test. This TV has ZERO vignetting. It shows ZERO black flames on 1%. LG has done something here for sure.

Pics to come..........

Awesome ! I did talk to Robert @ lg earlier today and he said they had a fix for it as I have to have my panel replaced but thought he was just feeding me more s*** maybe they have done it.

LG 65c6p
Denon avr590
(2) paradigm studio 10's
Velodyne 12 sub
PS4 pro, Apple TV (3rd gen), My Cloud 3tb nas
Blake2163 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off