LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 452 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36664Likes

post #13531 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4406 Post(s)
Liked: 3846
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDBecker View Post
"Just got my 65" delivered from CP and it's a 601!"

I received a 601 from bestbuy for a EG9100. I went from having yellow bands on my right 1/3 of the screen (I had two 509 buolds), to having a pink on the left third of the screen on the 601 build. LG clearly hasn't fixed the issue in the new batches.
Really unfortunate..was hoping the color staining was behind us. Still a lottery from hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13532 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDBecker View Post
"Just got my 65" delivered from CP and it's a 601!"

I received a 601 from bestbuy for a EG9100. I went from having yellow bands on my right 1/3 of the screen (I had two 509 buolds), to having a pink on the left third of the screen on the 601 build. LG clearly hasn't fixed the issue in the new batches.
Just returned a 510 for left third being pink tint. also a faint line in that area too, shame cause the set was a real beauty otherwise.

oh well,
post #13533 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer View Post
Another good sign for us early adopters is that all three upcoming UHD players (Samsung, Philip, Panasonic) do NOT have Dolby Vision. They support the HDR10 standard which is what our EF9500's use.
Makes me wonder if I should hold off on a UHD Bluray player even if I don't have a set that can play Dolby Vision. I assume the next one I get will be able to. I guess since they are significantly cheaper, it's not the same game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13534 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0984 View Post
Makes me wonder if I should hold off on a UHD Bluray player even if I don't have a set that can play Dolby Vision. I assume the next one I get will be able to. I guess since they are significantly cheaper, it's not the same game.
The TV can't do Dolby Vision anyways, so why would you want to wait on a player than can do it?
post #13535 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
The TV can't do Dolby Vision anyways, so why would you want to wait on a player than can do it?
Because of that.
post #13536 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaigin View Post
Yeah, that's a different story using bridge mode and static IPs. We're pretty off topic here. Hope you find a solution.
Yeah, been trying to figure out exactly what I need to google for as I'm sure there are people who have wired LANs and added a wireless router with the WAN connected to the existing LAN. In any case, better get back on topic. Has anyone here tried both the CNet settings and the settings from 10k for the 65EF9500 as I am curious which one would do a better job in general.

Cheers,
Vince, Ph.D. - Astrophysics
post #13537 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 5631 Post(s)
Liked: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty1 View Post
Yeah, been trying to figure out exactly what I need to google for as I'm sure there are people who have wired LANs and added a wireless router with the WAN connected to the existing LAN. In any case, better get back on topic. Has anyone here tried both the CNet settings and the settings from 10k for the 65EF9500 as I am curious which one would do a better job in general.
CNet uses a gamma of 1886, which is not good to use. You could also try RTINGS settings. I only used their 2 point low settings, and not the 20 point settings. Seems to be working good for me.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/ef9500/settings
post #13538 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diss View Post
Its not ideal to have your public and private ip ranges mixed together layer 2. Sounds like you're running into spanning tree problems. I'm not 100% clear how your network is setup but I'll try to give you some advice.
You need something like an ASA/PIX so you can NAT/PAT your private IPs to your public IPs. ASA/PIX would be able to translate each of your public IPs or required ports to multiple private IPs. Plus service DNS and DHCP to the private network. ASA supports QOS too "other vendors make similar devices"
Once that's complete you could use your R7000 as a wireless access point. Most new routers have bridge mode that it will turn off DHCP and you can set a static ip for management

DSL modem>asa>cisco cat switch>clients/R7000 AP
The public IPs don't really matter since it's not really involved as anything that has a public static IP also has a secondary IP on the Wired LAN. I'm just trying to figure out is so for example, let's think of it like this:
Computer 1 is a Windows XP machine that is connected to the switch as 192.168.0.120 wired to the switch, and 192.168.2.120 wireless to the R7000.
Computer 2 is Windows 10 notebook connected wirelessly to the R7000
The R7000 has a wire from the LAN side going to the switch. I'm trying to figure out how to give a second IP in 192.168.0.x to the R7000 as the R7000 for the wireless and LAN side is on 192.168.2.1/24.
Not sure what needs to be done so computer 1 and computer 2 can see each other and do folder shares and also connect to the printer(s) as I have one connected via USB to Computer 1 and I have another HP OfficeJet Pro 576dw connected by WiFi on the R7000.

And ofcourse the LG 65EF6500 is connected by WiFi using Wireless-N to the R7000.

Cheers,
post #13539 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
What is the significance of 601?
The only one not made in 2015.

Cheers,
post #13540 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolice View Post
I believe i read that all UHD Blu Rays will be encoded with HDR10 (which is what we have on our EF9500's) so it should work. I have the 65 inch EF9500 and own the martian 3D blu ray and it looks phenomenal. I don't know which scene specifically you are asking about, but the whole thing was amazing. I have already preordered the samsung UHD player and the martian and i can't wait to test both to see which is the better experience.
I'm not rooting against this, for a number of reasons:

1) I already own three NVidia Shields, which I love. They're HDR10-ready, but not Dolby Vision. So I have some skin in the game (although much less than you, I am sure... but I did get very high WAF marks for switching us over to Shields, and the value of that goes well beyond $$$).

2) I'd really love to see even a modest price-drop in this set in the near future, when LG releases their new 2016 sets... I'd be tempted to jump in.

But the waters still seem a little murky to me regarding HDR10 - vs - Dolby Vision... and with Sony making Dolby Vision TVs, and Sony Pictures shooting with Dolby Vision camera's... I'd think it's possible (perhaps even "likely"?) that Sony eventually announces a Dolby Vision UHD blu ray player, to play your Dolby Vision Sony Picture movie on your Sony Dolby Vision TV... seems logical that they'd want to "complete the chain".

When I do get a new screen, it'll be OLED, not LCD... but I'm torn as to whether I can jump in head first with this set or if I need to wait/pay $$$ for the new 2016 line...
post #13541 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
You watched "We Are Your Friends" on Vudu in UHD on your LG 9500? I'm still not even getting the UHD options on my 65EF9500 the last time I checked. 4K and UHD are slightly different but they're synonymous here on these forums.
I was just doing a google a few hours ago trying to figure out what is the requirements for the HDMI cable before it can do 4K and from what I can tell, true 4K is 5120 x 2160 which is what the 4K camera on my Yuneec Typhoon 4K Drone supports and then there is 4096x2160 which is what's used in Cinemas while UltraHD or 4K when it comes to TV is 3840x2160, it's basically the the doubling of each number of 1920x1080 and is also known as 4k x 2k which is what Oppo calls it. I'm using the cable that came with the Oppo BDP-105D so hopefully that one handles the 4K the 65EF9500 needs. I have a Radio Shack High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet that looks like the boutique cables and it claims 4K/3D support while there is a Razorfish from Best Buy High Speed HDMI with Ethernet cable that only talks about 1080p and 3D as well as 15.0Gbps bandwidth so not sure if the later one supports 4K/3D or not.

Cheers,

Last edited by Almighty1; 01-26-2016 at 04:20 PM.
post #13542 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

1) I already own three NVidia Shields, which I love. They're HDR10-ready, but not Dolby Vision. So I have some skin in the game (although much less than you, I am sure... but I did get very high WAF marks for switching us over to Shields, and the value of that goes well beyond $$$).

2) I'd really love to see even a modest price-drop in this set in the near future, when LG releases their new 2016 sets... I'd be tempted to jump in.

But the waters still seem a little murky to me regarding HDR10 - vs - Dolby Vision... and with Sony making Dolby Vision TVs, and Sony Pictures shooting with Dolby Vision camera's... I'd think it's possible (perhaps even "likely"?) that Sony eventually announces a Dolby Vision UHD blu ray player, to play your Dolby Vision Sony Picture movie on your Sony Dolby Vision TV... seems logical that they'd want to "complete the chain".

When I do get a new screen, it'll be OLED, not LCD... but I'm torn as to whether I can jump in head first with this set or if I need to wait/pay $$$ for the new 2016 line...
I am still on the fence with an Nvidia shield. Waiting for a solid deal. Primarily use an Xbox One for any streaming that the TV doesn't do natively but that is obviously not 4K. Until there is local 4K content, like perhaps ripped UHD Blurays, I'm not sure what an Nvidia shield adds to the feature set. Other than not having to worry about optical out on the TV for Amazon/Netflix into my AVR.
post #13543 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
CNet uses a gamma of 1886, which is not good to use. You could also try RTINGS settings. I only used their 2 point low settings, and not the 20 point settings. Seems to be working good for me.

Thanks wxman as usual. I would've thought people would be using a fellow avsforum members settings over rtings. rtings, I told them that a firmware update for .60 was available and they said they had the latest and it didn't fix some judder problem. So I responded back when .75 is out and told him that a manual upgrade was needed as the LG US automatic update servers have been broken for months and avsforum members have stated .60 fixed the problem and now my comment about .75 is there claiming that it did fix the problem. I'll give the RTINGS settings a try. One of these days when I have some more time, I'll have to read exactly what the different Gamma (BT.1886 and Gamma 2.4) means.

Cheers,
post #13544 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Quote:
Because of that.
thought you meant the next player you got was dolby vision which made no sense.
post #13545 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am still on the fence with an Nvidia shield. Waiting for a solid deal. Primarily use an Xbox One for any streaming that the TV doesn't do natively but that is obviously not 4K. Until there is local 4K content, like perhaps ripped UHD Blurays, I'm not sure what an Nvidia shield adds to the feature set. Other than not having to worry about optical out on the TV for Amazon/Netflix into my AVR.
Yea everyone's use case is differet. For me, it's the all-in-one solution I've been waiting for to replace my WMC Extenders:

1) I watch Live TV on it by accessing my HDHomeRun Prime directly (no longer burdening my Win7 WMC whole home dvr with the load... Shield's processor does all the heavy lifting).

2) I access my DVR via the ServerWMC plugin from Kodi.

3) I bitstream Dolby TrueHD and HD-MA using a an unofficial release of Kodi... this is initially why I bought it, as my old WDTV basically crapped the bed and I needed a new solution for my blu ray collection (and HD audio is a must for me, which eliminates a lot of the "more popular" streamers).

4) At this stage of my life, I don't game hardcore anymore... last gen was probably The Last Gen for me. Very niche, but the "light gaming" Shield provides is perfect for me.

5) I use it to stream all the services I use (netflix, hbogo, showtime anytime, youtube, pluto.tv, google play music, rhapsody, etc). It's the best Netflix player I've ever owned, fwiw. I've streamed netflix on a chromecast, roku streaming stick, wdtv live, xbox 360, ps3... I'm probably forgetting something. It's menu/layout may not be my all time #1 (always liked the 360, and wdtv had a nice setup too), but performance wise ive never seen anything like it. All those devices either started playback instantly by streaming a poor grainy picture that gradually improved over 5-10 seconds, or they'd sit there and buffer for 3-5 seconds before playing... Shield starts streaming practically instantly, in full 1080p.

It's not gonna be for everyone. For people that don't convert their blu rays to MKV, and don't use CableCard for their cable subscription, I agree, there's not a lot there differentiating it from other streamers... other than maybe the HDR10 abilities (but I don't own a 4k tv yet, so....).
post #13546 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yea everyone's use case is differet. For me, it's the all-in-one solution I've been waiting for to replace my WMC Extenders:

1) I watch Live TV on it by accessing my HDHomeRun Prime directly (no longer burdening my Win7 WMC whole home dvr with the load... Shield's processor does all the heavy lifting).

2) I access my DVR via the ServerWMC plugin from Kodi.

3) I bitstream Dolby TrueHD and HD-MA using a an unofficial release of Kodi... this is initially why I bought it, as my old WDTV basically crapped the bed and I needed a new solution for my blu ray collection (and HD audio is a must for me, which eliminates a lot of the "more popular" streamers).

4) At this stage of my life, I don't game hardcore anymore... last gen was probably The Last Gen for me. Very niche, but the "light gaming" Shield provides is perfect for me.

5) I use it to stream all the services I use (netflix, hbogo, showtime anytime, youtube, pluto.tv, google play music, rhapsody, etc). It's the best Netflix player I've ever owned, fwiw. I've streamed netflix on a chromecast, roku streaming stick, wdtv live, xbox 360, ps3... I'm probably forgetting something. It's menu/layout may not be my all time #1 (always liked the 360, and wdtv had a nice setup too), but performance wise ive never seen anything like it. All those devices either started playback instantly by streaming a poor grainy picture that gradually improved over 5-10 seconds, or they'd sit there and buffer for 3-5 seconds before playing... Shield starts streaming practically instantly, in full 1080p.

It's not gonna be for everyone. For people that don't convert their blu rays to MKV, and don't use CableCard for their cable subscription, I agree, there's not a lot there differentiating it from other streamers... other than maybe the HDR10 abilities (but I don't own a 4k tv yet, so....).
Thanks for the breakdown. HDR10 is probably significant enough but the TV does that on its own already. I only utilize Netflix and Amazon though. I get my digital collection through Plex on the Xbox One but it is hard to know when it is transcoding vs streaming. Using Kodi via a shield would make that a for sure thing I suppose. Obviously I would prefer to not transcode but without control or monitoring CPU usage on the server, sometimes I wonder if it is doing what I expect it is doing.

I have a separate HTPC running OpenELEC which I like but it doesn't do Netflix/Amazon or anything else really.
post #13547 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What is the best option for watching HDR content? I read that M-Go allows the HDR movies to be downloaded instead of streamed. Not sure what I'd need to do that though.
post #13548 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the breakdown. HDR10 is probably significant enough but the TV does that on its own already. I only utilize Netflix and Amazon though. I get my digital collection through Plex on the Xbox One but it is hard to know when it is transcoding vs streaming. Using Kodi via a shield would make that a for sure thing I suppose. Obviously I would prefer to not transcode but without control or monitoring CPU usage on the server, sometimes I wonder if it is doing what I expect it is doing.

I have a separate HTPC running OpenELEC which I like but it doesn't do Netflix/Amazon or anything else really.
Common question/complaint about Plex, IMO... even with "direct stream" selected, you always *wonder* if something insidious is happening on the back end...

There's no Amazon app on Shield, fyi, because Shield runs Android, and Amazon doesn't put their video service on Android... that's a big deal for some. It wasn't for me. In fact, it was basically "the last straw", and I cancelled Prime because of it... what kind of business model refuses to let paying customers access what they're paying for when/how they want? One that ain't for me, that's for sure... about to do the same thing with the cable company and HGO/HBOGo, as soon as my bundle is up... Shield has a native HBO Now app, and the cable company won't have any say in whether or not "I'm allowed to use it".

But this is all OT for this thread... probably headed to HHGreg tomorrow over my lunch break to eyeball one of these sets... my biggest question mark that I want to see for myself is how it handles fast motion/blur... I hate in-store viewing. But I hate sight-unseen even more...
post #13549 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The Rtings site has updated their review of the EF9500s. They now get a 9.0 rating, saying that the .75 firmware fixed the judder issues.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/ef9500
dolfer, Almighty1, dkwong and 4 others like this.
post #13550 of 24736 Old 01-26-2016, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaigin View Post
The Rtings site has updated their review of the EF9500s. They now get a 9.0 rating, saying that the .75 firmware fixed the judder issues.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/ef9500
Yes, but they still advise turning motion smoothing on; I still feel judder is fixed by shutting everything off.
dolfer likes this.
post #13551 of 24736 Old 01-27-2016, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBaragona View Post
What is the best option for watching HDR content? I read that M-Go allows the HDR movies to be downloaded instead of streamed. Not sure what I'd need to do that though.
If you look at MGo's website it's only supported so far on several Samsung TV's and you'd also need an external hard drive. Although it looks like it should be supported on the new Samsung UHD Blu Ray player too - would just need an external drive.

You can look here
https://help.mgo.com/hc/en-us/sectio...epp=promo-page
post #13552 of 24736 Old 01-27-2016, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

It's confusing but from what I have heard, HDR10 will always be supported. It's the baseline. I'm not sure on the implementation specifics, but a Dolby Vision UHD player (or non-Dolby Vision player like the first three that are coming out) playing a Dolby Vision encoded disc would still give us HDR10. Big Jon Archer from Forbes said he confirmed this at a Dolby press conference at CES.

Dolf M
LG EF9500 65" | Denon AVR-S720W | Tivo Bolt | Samsung K8500 UHD Blu-ray | XBOX One
I love TV, Technology & Tennis
Greater Cincinnati Area
http://twitter.com/#!/dolfer
post #13553 of 24736 Old 01-27-2016, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's confusing but from what I have heard, HDR10 will always be supported. It's the baseline. I'm not sure on the implementation specifics, but a Dolby Vision UHD player (or non-Dolby Vision player like the first three that are coming out) playing a Dolby Vision encoded disc would still give us HDR10. Big Jon Archer from Forbes said he confirmed this at a Dolby press conference at CES.
Yes from what I understand, the specs for Dolby Vision envelope the specs for HDR10. Same color space (Rec2020), but higher color bit depth (12 bit instead of 10), and I believe wider min/max lighting requirements, too.

A dolby vision set will properly display HDR10 content. But an HDR10 set will not display full Dolby Vision.

How important/valuable is the more stringent specs of Dolby Vision? I have no idea...
dolfer likes this.
post #13554 of 24736 Old 01-27-2016, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Yes from what I understand, the specs for Dolby Vision envelope the specs for HDR10. Same color space (Rec2020), but higher color bit depth (12 bit instead of 10), and I believe wider min/max lighting requirements, too.

A dolby vision set will properly display HDR10 content. But an HDR10 set will not display full Dolby Vision.

How important/valuable is the more stringent specs of Dolby Vision? I have no idea...
For one, I know the peak NITS is higher than what the EF9500 can achieve. I also believe the color gamut might be a bit wider. I'm sure there's a post on AVS somewhere that has EVERY single detail about it.

Dolf M
LG EF9500 65" | Denon AVR-S720W | Tivo Bolt | Samsung K8500 UHD Blu-ray | XBOX One
I love TV, Technology & Tennis
Greater Cincinnati Area
http://twitter.com/#!/dolfer
post #13555 of 24736 Old 01-27-2016, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcup View Post
If you look at MGo's website it's only supported so far on several Samsung TV's and you'd also need an external hard drive. Although it looks like it should be supported on the new Samsung UHD Blu Ray player too - would just need an external drive.

You can look here
https://help.mgo.com/hc/en-us/sectio...epp=promo-page
So Amazon streaming is the only HDR available at the moment?
post #13556 of 24736 Old 01-27-2016, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
OTW150 + 65EF9500 Mount Question

Can anyone confirm how much the 65EF9500 mounted on the proprietary OTW150 mount can swing or angle to the side? I know it's not a lot, and a little tricky to quantify. Maybe a dimension from the back wall to the front corner of the tv that sticks out the most when it's at it's maximum angle towards the side (assuming the other corner of the tv will almost be touching the wall at that point)?

Thanks
post #13557 of 24736 Old 01-27-2016, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplater View Post
Can anyone confirm how much the 65EF9500 mounted on the proprietary OTW150 mount can swing or angle to the side? I know it's not a lot, and a little tricky to quantify. Maybe a dimension from the back wall to the front corner of the tv that sticks out the most when it's at it's maximum angle towards the side (assuming the other corner of the tv will almost be touching the wall at that point)?

Thanks
Was wondering the same thing this morning. Looking at the manual http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OTW150#manuals

it says 15 degress +/- 2, which isn't much. Not quite enough for me I don't think.
post #13558 of 24736 Old 01-27-2016, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

Thanks wxman as usual. I would've thought people would be using a fellow avsforum members settings over rtings. rtings, I told them that a firmware update for .60 was available and they said they had the latest and it didn't fix some judder problem. So I responded back when .75 is out and told him that a manual upgrade was needed as the LG US automatic update servers have been broken for months and avsforum members have stated .60 fixed the problem and now my comment about .75 is there claiming that it did fix the problem. I'll give the RTINGS settings a try. One of these days when I have some more time, I'll have to read exactly what the different Gamma (BT.1886 and Gamma 2.4) means.
On this tv, gamma 2.4 and bt.1886 equate to about the same thing. Bt.1886 is the standard gamma tracking when absolute black can't be reached such in the case of led televisions. Since OLED reaches absolute black, the tracking on bt.1886 tracks very near to 2.4
post #13559 of 24736 Old 01-27-2016, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For one, I know the peak NITS is higher than what the EF9500 can achieve. I also believe the color gamut might be a bit wider. I'm sure there's a post on AVS somewhere that has EVERY single detail about it.
There are actually dozens of pages in this very thread about this topic about 40-50 pages ago when the 2016 sets were announced and hysteria set in. Quite comical looking back now at what we know now.

Dolby Vision requires higher NIT levels and has a more substantial color space, specifics are all over the place and I don't have time to look them up at this juncture. Whether either of these actually equate to real world superiority (read: noticeable) is yet to be determined. I'm sure there will be a difference, but it'll likely require them side by side for most people to ever notice. Higher NIT levels are obviously noticeable but 2015 vs 2016 aren't immensely different, the 2016 just happen to make the oddball DV spec while the 2015 didn't. Some think the spec was predicated on what the 2016 LG OLEDs were able to achieve.

The main worry was/is Dolby Vision content being able to "downsample" to HDR10 when a movie was offered with some sort of HDR functionality, whether it was Dolby Vision or no HDR at all, or worse yet, Dolby Vision or can't view anything. Since then we now know that we don't have to worry about this in the UHD Bluray space, and I think we're fairly confident that streaming of HDR content will act the same, but not sure if we have that confirmed yet?

I think the logical bunch of us assumed that HDR10 would always work from a Dolby Vision spec'd movie because Dolby Vision compatible devices are far too few and content providers and/or production companies are not going to spend the time/money to produce a standard that only 0.01% (67% of stats are made up ) of people can utilize, it just doesn't make economic sense, so they'll produce something that is "highly compatible" without causing too much time/effort that is enjoyable to the highest number of people possible. This equates to Dolby Vision having a high likelihood of coming with an HDR10 option, unless of course someone pays a hefty sum to keep it exclusive making the lost revenue justifiable.

Last edited by Maverick0984; 01-27-2016 at 09:17 AM.
post #13560 of 24736 Old 01-27-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6135
I have not heard much on the streaming side, I was just glad to realize the HDR10 layer was required on UHD Blu-ray.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / Uverse / Roku Ultra
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page