LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 457 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36664Likes

post #13681 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 8
How long did you guys wait to get your TV's. I order mine 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13682 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Gamma settings in the EF9500, 2.2, 2.4 BT.1886

ss
Favor to ask, could you point me in the right direction for your 20pt calibration settings, or most recent settings... I've searched a few times and no luck. Think you posted them in December? Thanks!! Or maybe just repost them?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #13683 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 5631 Post(s)
Liked: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer View Post
What cable do you think you'll get for the Samsung?????
I'm going to use the Redmere that I bought. When I get the Samsung, I will use that cable, and switch my OPPO to an extra cable that I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13684 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Use the advanced search feature - incredibly easy....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/search...chid=101627474
Unfortunately, if you're using Tapatalk on a Nexus 6, this just opens up Chrome to the AVS homepage...

post #13685 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Unfortunately, if you're using Tapatalk on a Nexus 6, this just opens up Chrome to the AVS homepage...

I tried this link from home and work and it leads to a no found search result
post #13686 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentg View Post
I tried this link from home and work and it leads to a no found search result
Advanced search > 75 in the Key Word box and sillysally in the User Name box.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #13687 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Gamma settings in the EF9500, 2.2, 2.4 BT.1886
Expert2
Oled Light 39
Contrast 74
Brightness 51
Color 53
All Grayscale and CMS controls are default.
All enhancements off.
Firmware is .75

Screen shots are 21 measuered points Grayscale.
As you can see 2.2 and 2.4 Gamma settings are pretty good, BT.1886 is not very good.

ss
Is this what Dolfer was looking for?
Jaigin likes this.
post #13688 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked: 3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryguy View Post
How long did you guys wait to get your TV's. I order mine 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Is this normal?
I had to wait 1-1/2 months. Supply is still constrained at $5k.
post #13689 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Sold my EU august build 950 of the Banding issue, really horrible looking when u Get light colurs or grey with panning. Like a jail bar effect.
post #13690 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Tryed to over look it but no it irritated me more n more.
To the ones beliving It will fade away with usage... No
post #13691 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
Hello, Gents,

I have spent many hours here reading through the incredible amount of information this forum serves up. I've found it to be so comprehensive that every question I've had, I've found at least one answer to. Hence why I have never posted until now.

I finally have two questions I haven't found answers to.

I'm fortunate enough to have 1 gigabit internet at my home. I will be running cat 6 cable to my family room, so all of our multi media devices will have access to the full gigabit pipe.

Does the 55EF9500 have an ethernet port on it? I would much rather connect the TV via ethernet than WiFi. The answer to this question will also affect the type type of networking device I'll have in the family room; if the TV has an ethernet port, I'll be placing an 8 port switch in the family room. If not, then I'll need to get a switch that also serves up .ac WiFi.

Which leads to question 2: Does the 55EF9500 support .ac WiFi, or only .n?

I live in a very small town, and quite surprisingly, the local Best Buy has the 55EF9500 in stock. I'm still trying to decide on whether or not to buy from Best Buy or Cleveland Plasma. Since the return rate on these units is so high, it would be convenient to deal with such issues locally.

Thanks a ton for any answers provided.
I used my ethernet port as you are planning. I used cat6 from the fiber optic to my router. Had to do the attic crawl to pull cable to my great room and piggy back into the phone outlet. It was also a good excuse to upgrade to a newer router as well. My connection is a bit under 100 but Im not paying for the extra speed that I could get if I wanted at this point. When I powered up the tv first time it detected it when I went thru the setup which was very easy.
post #13692 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
So just this morning I upgraded to the latest firmware...humorously I had my TV set to download automatically any new updates and nothing was showing up and when I actually checked my current firmware I was on 3.5 something so I took a big jump to the 4.20.75...only big change I saw was with my brightness and vignetting...which is slightly annoying...haven't pulled out my meter yet but appears I'll have to dial down my low ire or adjust brightness down a peg. As for vignetting, it used to mainly be on the right side and not real noticeable as long as I kept OLED light at a moderately blinding 60. But now it appears to have kept up on both sides. Looks like another call to lg.
post #13693 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 694
This TV amazes me when it behaves correctly lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160129_212335_1454124523411.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1219050  
shyguy3763 and 10k like this.
post #13694 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 29
few questions:

I) Any way to turn off the cursor once you're done clicking through settings? Seems like I have to put the remote on the couch and not move at all

2) Anyway to go to advanced settings besides doing settings than advanced?
3) I prefer the standard video mode - anyone have good setting for standard?
post #13695 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
So just this morning I upgraded to the latest firmware...humorously I had my TV set to download automatically any new updates and nothing was showing up and when I actually checked my current firmware I was on 3.5 something so I took a big jump to the 4.20.75...only big change I saw was with my brightness and vignetting...which is slightly annoying...haven't pulled out my meter yet but appears I'll have to dial down my low ire or adjust brightness down a peg. As for vignetting, it used to mainly be on the right side and not real noticeable as long as I kept OLED light at a moderately blinding 60. But now it appears to have kept up on both sides. Looks like another call to lg.
Remind me...are you in a holding pattern with your set, hence the direct line to LG? Sounds like your marginally dissatisfied and that this might have pushed you over to the refund/exchange edge.
post #13696 of 24736 Old 01-29-2016, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I started watching Motzart In the Jungle off Amazon. The first episode seemed washed out. Did others see that too? It is annoying that in HDR mode the TV doesn't seem to allow any picture adjustments.

Does HDR mode use the current picture mode that was active when you started playback? Or does it just completely do its own thing?
post #13697 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 5631 Post(s)
Liked: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaigin View Post
I started watching Motzart In the Jungle off Amazon. The first episode seemed washed out. Did others see that too? It is annoying that in HDR mode the TV doesn't seem to allow any picture adjustments.

Does HDR mode use the current picture mode that was active when you started playback? Or does it just completely do its own thing?
I think the issue is with Amazon. If you watch HDR via USB, you can adjust everything but OLED light and contrast. I think that will be the same with HDMI. OLED light and Contrast will both be greyed out and locked out at 100. It needs to be set to 100 to reach 500 nits for HDR. Everything else you can adjust. For some reason with Amazon, you can't adjust anything.
Jaigin likes this.
post #13698 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Quote:
Remind me...are you in a holding pattern with your set, hence the direct line to LG? Sounds like your marginally dissatisfied and that this might have pushed you over to the refund/exchange edge.
I've dealt with Robert macintyre on my last 2 sets, from original "let's swap the panel to see if it fixes the issue" to "the swap didn't work we'll issue a refund. I'm also on a first name basis with our local lg tech mike. I feel bad for him spending the time he does to swap a panel only to have it look worse or not have components line up. I've only had one lg set that didn't have any pq issues, and that was my Ec9300, even though I still had to have it serviced...power supply had gone bad. At this point I think I'm going to ask if they can do for me what they did for another forum member and give me a store credit to Best Buy where I got it, valid for the length of the initial warranty, so if I feel things don't improve I can try and exchange for a 2016 model assuming they have less issues. To this day I really don't feel like it is a panel issue as much as it is how the power is driven to the panel, otherwise vignetting would be present through all ranges, not just at around 5% and less. I'm no engineer, but that just makes logical sense to me, so when lg says the fix is just a panel swap I'm reluctant to say lets do a swap rather than get a refund.
But yes, vignetting is a nuisance, once you start seeing it, it doesn't go away. And the only way to combat it is to raise OLED light without messing with brightness settings. I have mine set at 60 which reduces vignetting, but is 20 clicks higher than what is comfortable viewing in my set up. My wife and I were watching Harry Potter and the deathly hollows last night and when he's in the woods it was like watching tv through an Instagram filter. But then when he's in the train station and everything is all white, my wife was complaining that it was hurting her eyes...so it's a either lose of to 6" on either side or get bad eye strain in bright scenes
Tomcup likes this.
post #13699 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Calibration 101, how to start to adjust grayscale for luminance and RGB balance.

First use the settings I show from this post. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post41046818
Also you may want to adjust Blue high +2 and set your Gamma at 2.4 in your EF9500.

Now look at the screen shot in this post (Below).
Look at the Y value (not small y), Target (Y) and what my meter read (Y) for each 5% increments.
Example. IRE 20, the actual meter reading is 2.9985 (actual is a little high so you may want to lower luminance) target is 2.7897. Also look at the chart you will see the RGB lines are above the base 0 line. So what you would want to do to get a better light output (luminance) for 20IRE is to lower Green by -1, Red and Blue by -2, IRE25 about the same, IRE30 Green -2, Blue and Red -2. And so on up to and including about IRE50.

When making any adjustments to RGB (H/L, 20pt, grayscale) use a corresponding color patch to make sure you don't see any other tint than gray. Ted's calibration disc or AVS709 disc for 20 point grayscale patches and a grayscale ramp.

When making adjustments it is probably a good idea not to make any large adjustments, use the KISS method.

ss
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.4.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	1219682  

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
post #13700 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've dealt with Robert macintyre on my last 2 sets, from original "let's swap the panel to see if it fixes the issue" to "the swap didn't work we'll issue a refund. I'm also on a first name basis with our local lg tech mike. I feel bad for him spending the time he does to swap a panel only to have it look worse or not have components line up. I've only had one lg set that didn't have any pq issues, and that was my Ec9300, even though I still had to have it serviced...power supply had gone bad. At this point I think I'm going to ask if they can do for me what they did for another forum member and give me a store credit to Best Buy where I got it, valid for the length of the initial warranty, so if I feel things don't improve I can try and exchange for a 2016 model assuming they have less issues. To this day I really don't feel like it is a panel issue as much as it is how the power is driven to the panel, otherwise vignetting would be present through all ranges, not just at around 5% and less. I'm no engineer, but that just makes logical sense to me, so when lg says the fix is just a panel swap I'm reluctant to say lets do a swap rather than get a refund.
But yes, vignetting is a nuisance, once you start seeing it, it doesn't go away. And the only way to combat it is to raise OLED light without messing with brightness settings. I have mine set at 60 which reduces vignetting, but is 20 clicks higher than what is comfortable viewing in my set up. My wife and I were watching Harry Potter and the deathly hollows last night and when he's in the woods it was like watching tv through an Instagram filter. But then when he's in the train station and everything is all white, my wife was complaining that it was hurting her eyes...so it's a either lose of to 6" on either side or get bad eye strain in bright scenes
6"on both sides is too much. To be honest, I can occasionally see the vignette, but to me the bands, which can cover the entirety of the screen when content hits near black, are even more offensive since I can't simply focus my vision away from them. As somebody else described yesterday, it creates a "jail bar" effect.

As a result, I'm taking the Best Buy voucher offer myself. I hope LG's not bluffing here...a lot is riding on actual uniformity improvements for 2016 (I'm hoping for an E6 like-for-like trade since anything less would be a de facto downgrade). Maybe it's the IGZO backplane that's unruly and, yes, the engineering challenge of delivering current through it in a uniform fashion is likely proving to be a hard nut to crack.
Tomcup likes this.
post #13701 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

can someone post the link for the white, grey 5%, etc slides to show the panel quality. I would like to take some from my 601. I saw a link here a few days ago but can't find.
post #13702 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
I certainly don't have any vignetting on my 510 with OLED Light set at 40.

Of course I see the near black banding at times, but most of the time it just isn't visible on ordinary content.

If it really bothers you, go ahead and return it… but I haven't seen another technology with less objectionable artifacts and have seen no other technologies with true, absolutely black letterbox bars and black content.

When setup right, Tron: Legacy looks like a video game, and 3D is first rate.
post #13703 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is my 2% with OLED at 100, I was trying to find my 5% but can't seem to locate those. And banding near black does get annoying... It was present on my ec9300 but disappeared by 500hours
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1454160647846.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1220050  
post #13704 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post
can someone post the link for the white, grey 5%, etc slides to show the panel quality. I would like to take some from my 601. I saw a link here a few days ago but can't find.
https://www.avsforum.com/showthread.php?t=948496

post #13705 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks but says page can't be found
post #13706 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Delete :-)
post #13707 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

thanks but says page can't be found
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/index..../948496?page=1
post #13708 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
just send me to table of content page
post #13709 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
just send me to table of content page

INTRODUCTION
This project aims to provide a free set of calibration patterns for high definition (HD) video players. You will find downloads here to create discs for Blu-ray and AVCHD players, a version with MP4 video for computers or other compatible devices, and a Patterns Manual with some basic instructions. Users can burn the downloads to DVD media for some applications, but all of the download versions are intended only for HD players. These calibration patterns will not play on standard DVD players, and they are not expected to calibrate for Rec. 601 video used in commercial DVDs. The AVS HD 709 patterns are meant only to calibrate for Rec. 709 encoded HD video, such as commercial Blu-rays.

Primarily we intend to offer HD video patterns for calibrating digital displays, such as current LCD, LED, Plasma, and DLP models. This project does not address analog display (CRT) or audio calibration, which can be found on other sources such as Digital Video Essentials or Avia. The patterns provided have been divided into sections for different tasks. The Blu-ray related discs allow you to select sections from menus, and you can navigate the video clips in each section by chapter skipping. The Basic Settings and Miscellaneous Patterns primarily focus on setting user controls for your electronics with no test equipment, except possibly a color filter. The HDTV Calibration video by HD Nation in the HDMV and AVCHD versions can give new users some information on the most common display settings, or the Related Links can take MP4 users to the online episodes. The remaining sections are meant for taking measurements from the display, with a colorimeter or spectroradiometer, using software like ColorHCFR, CalMAN, or ChromaPure. Further details for using the downloads to calibrate your digital display are covered in the Patterns Manual, and everyone is encouraged to download a copy of the basic instructions for using the patterns.

DOWNLOADS Updated November 30, 2010
Directly below you will find the project downloads. The HDMV and AVCHD versions are intended for playback on Blu-ray players, the MP4 version is compatible with many HD media players, and a Patterns Manual is included with recommendations for using the patterns. Following the downloads an area titled Steps To Use The Downloads explains the general process to create a playable disc. A more specific procedure is given under Example For Windows Computers to create a disc for Blu-ray players. The Download Notes area simply includes some additional details, such as general system requirements and troubleshooting information. For anyone that wants to create a disc for a Blu-ray player, you may want to start with the Blu-ray Players List at the end of this post, to determine if you should download the HDMV or AVCHD version.

HDMV (.exe) or HDMV (.7z) - See Download Note A
Iso MD5: ad5006398671a54f96c314a3425621b0 - See Download Note D
Plays on: Most Blu-ray players from BD-RE or BD-R media. See the Blu-ray Players List at the end of this post for more information on compatibility.
Burn to: BD-RE or BD-R media with a Blu-ray burner.
Note: This is a Blu-ray format, and it is primarily intended for BD-RE or BD-R media. If you only have access to a DVD burner, please check your player for AVCHD compatibility first. Some Blu-ray players do not support AVCHD and can play this version if burned to DVD media with a DVD burner, which will be listed as the DVDM option in the Blu-ray Players List.
Includes: All content and features available from AVS HD 709, as shown in the Patterns Manual.

AVCHD (.exe) or AVCHD (.7z) - See Download Note A
Iso MD5: 654920d1f3f1182423ecfbb75ff52263 - See Download Note D
Plays on: Many AVCHD compatible Blu-ray players. The Blu-ray Players List at the end of this post includes more information to determine if your Blu-ray player supports this download.
Burn to: DVD writable media with a DVD burner.
Note: When using DVD media some players will only be able to play either the AVCHD or HDMV, and the other version will not work from DVD media. For example the PS3 can only play the AVCHD from DVD media, and some Samsung models also only play one version version from DVD media. Technically the AVCHD includes extended information and omits the AUXDATA, BDJO, JAR, and CERTIFICATE folders, which can affect playback from DVD media on some players.
Includes: Most content available from AVS HD 709. Refer to the Patterns Manual for more information.
Not Included: Some Misc. Patterns, such as the Mpeg2 video from dr1394, and the top navigation selections from the HDMV menus.

MP4 (.exe) or MP4 (.7z)
Plays on: Many MPEG-4 AVC or H.264 video players. For example computer video players, or the Xbox 360 after an online update. See the player specifications for types of video supported.
Media: Depends on player, for example the Xbox 360 can play files from DVD media.
Includes: Individual AVC video test clips in an MP4 container. Limitations are listed in the next line, and the Patterns Manual includes further details.
Not Included: Menus and navigation features, the HDTV Calibration video from HD Nation (see Related Links), or Misc. Patterns Mpeg2 video from dr1394.

PATTERNS MANUAL (.pdf)
Note: Regardless which of the above versions you choose, please download the PDF document for general information about the patterns and recommendations on how to use the video sections. If you require further information about taking measurements, please see the documentation for the software you are using or refer to the Related Links area of this post. The pictures included in the Patterns Manual come from the HDMV version, and the AVCHD or MP4 version will not include a few features as commented above with the downloads.

ALTERNATE DOWNLOAD LINKS
Note: If you happen to encounter any issues downloading from the prior links, the files are also available at http://W6RZ.net/

STEPS TO USE THE DOWNLOADS
1) Choose a version: Decide on either the HDMV, AVCHD, or MP4 version depending on what HD player you want to use. HDMV will be compatible with the largest number of Blu-ray players if burned to BD-RE or BD-R media, so if you have access to a Blu-ray burner typically you would choose the HDMV version. There are many Blu-ray players today that are AVCHD compatible, so for people that want to calibrate from a Blu-ray player and only have a DVD burner the AVCHD would often be the version to choose. Burning HDMV to DVD media will not be as widely compatible as either of the prior choices, but if you only have access to a DVD burner it may work for a few Blu-ray players that are not AVCHD compatible. The Blu-ray Players List at the end of this post gives more information on how to select a version for your Blu-ray player. The MP4 version is intended for applications other than calibration with a Blu-ray player, such as some digital media players that can play AVC video. In any case your player must be able to play true high definition video, such as a Blu-ray or HD media player. None of the versions will work on standard DVD players, or upconverting DVD players, because those players cannot play actual HD video.

2) Download a compressed file and manual: Select either the .exe or .7z file to download, according to the computer operating system you are using. The .exe will work on Windows. The .7z is not system-specific, so it will work with Windows, Linux, or Mac with additional software. The HDMV or AVCHD can usually be downloaded with web browsers. Using a download manager that supports resuming (like Orbit Downloader) is another option to make sure you receive a complete file, and a download manager may also provide the fastest possible download speed. The downloads will take some time to finish, especially the HDMV or AVCHD version. How long the downloads take will depend on various factors, but a 6 Mbps connection might take at least 15 minutes. At this time, please also download the Patterns Manual, for some basic details on how to use the patterns.

3) Decompress the download: If you downloaded the .exe, Windows should decompress the file by double-clicking on it. There have been a few reports of the .exe failing to work, so if the .exe happens to fail on your Windows system you might instead try the .7z version. For the .7z, you will also need the free 7-zip software to decompress or extract the file. Here is a description for Mac, or Rucksack was also suggested for .7z decompression on Mac. The decompressed HDMV or AVCHD file requires approximately 4.4 GB of free space on a modern file system (See Download Note A). The MP4 download will decompress to video files and folders. If you happen to run into issues with this step, it could be due to an incomplete download, so please refer to Download Note B.

4) Burn a disc: The HDMV or AVCHD requires you to burn a disc after decompressing the downloaded file. This step does not necessarily apply to the MP4 version, but for the Xbox 360 you can simply burn the files to a writable DVD. The AVCHD version is intended to be burned to DVD media with a DVD burner. HDMV is intended to be burned to BD-RE or BD-R with a Blu-ray burner, but there are a few players that are not AVCHD compatible and can play HDMV if burned to DVD media with a DVD burner (DVDM option). Our recommendation is to use ImgBurn as shown below in the Example For Windows Computers for burning .iso files to disc. Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and Windows 7 or 8 also allow you to burn an .iso file to disc by right-clicking on the file from Windows Explorer, or this link gives step by step instructions for burning an .iso image with a number of Windows programs. On Mac an .iso can be burned directly from the disc utility application.

EXAMPLE FOR WINDOWS COMPUTERS
The following procedure shows how to apply the prior steps for a computer running Windows. You can follow this example to create any of the HDMV, AVCHD, or DVDM options shown in the Blu-ray Players List.

1) Choosing a version: You may want to refer to the Blu-ray Players List at the end of this post to find which version your player likely supports. Consulting the specifications or manual for the Blu-ray player is another way to determine what version the device may play. Many newer Blu-ray players will list AVCHD support in their manual or specifications, and HDMV compatibility would generally be indicated if the player lists BD-RE or BD-R playback. For the AVCHD version you will need writable DVD media and a DVD burner. The HDMV version is primarily intended to be burned to BD-RE or BD-R media with a Blu-ray burner, but some players can play HDMV burned to DVD media with a DVD burner (DVDM option). For this example, let's say you own a PS3 and only have access to a DVD burner. Judging by the Blu-ray Players List the PS3 supports the AVCHD version, so in this example we will show how to create an AVCHD version disc that will play on the PS3.

2) Downloading a compressed file and manual: If your computer is running Windows, you can likely use the .exe download. Since the AVCHD version has been selected for this example, the AVCHD (.exe) link above in the Downloads area would allow you to begin downloading the compressed file. Usually a web browser will work for downloading, but if you encounter issues you may need to use software intended for downloading large files. Using a download manager that supports resuming (like Orbit Downloader) is one option to make sure you receive a complete file, and a download manager may also provide the fastest possible download speed. The downloads will take some time to finish, for example a 6 Mbps connection might take at least 15 minutes. At this time you should also download the Patterns Manual, to have some basic instructions for the disc.

3) Decompressing the download: Once you have downloaded the file for the option you selected, just double-click on it and you should get a window asking where to extract the file. Choose a location by clicking on the "..." button at the right, or using the written path displayed in the window (such as C:\\ in the image below). The location you choose requires a modern file system and must have about 4.4 GB of free space (See Download Note A). Once you have chosen a location, click the extract button. When the program is done decompressing, you will have a large .iso file in the directory you selected. If you are not presented with the following window after double-clicking on the .exe file, refer to Download Note B.

4) Burning a disc: We will use ImgBurn to create a disc in this example. On opening the program choose the Tools menu and go to Settings.

Switch to Page 2 and add check marks to Calculate MD5 Hash Values and Compare MD5 Hash Values.

Press ok after making the settings changes to return to the main screen, and select the Write image file to disc option.

Next under Source, click on the left yellow folder, and then select the .iso file from step 3.

Once you insert writable media in your burner, the program is ready to create the disc. Click the button in the bottom left, and the program will burn the image to disc. This will take some time to complete.

When ImgBurn finishes burning and checking the disc, review the ImgBurn Log for the Device MD5 and Image MD5. If the values match with the Iso MD5 listed for the version you downloaded, then the download, decompression, and burn were all successful. If the values from ImgBurn do not match those listed for the download files, then some part of the process may have encountered issues and you might want to try downloading again. If you plan to use ImgBurn for other tasks, you may want to uncheck the Calculate MD5 Hash Values and Compare MD5 Hash Values settings.

DOWNLOAD NOTES
A) The HDMV or AVCHD download will decompress to a file about 4.4 GB in size. Recent versions of Windows, Linux, and Mac all use default file systems that will work for decompression. FAT32 formatted hard disks do not work for decompression, because FAT32 has a smaller file size limit. In Windows Explorer you can right-click on a hard disk and select properties to see the file system. If your hard disks have been formatted as FAT32 you will need another location for the decompressed file. Flash media drives of 8 GB or larger will work for decompression, when formatted to a modern file system such as NTFS, HFS+, or ext2. If you have more than one optical disc drive, another option would be decompressing to DVD media.

B) In order for the .exe or .7z decompression to work, you must download the entire file. Using software intended for large file downloads may help, if you have issues using a web browser. One of the many download managers that support resuming downloads is a way to make sure you receive the complete file, and a download manager may also provide the fastest speed available for your current connection. If you live in the United States many public libraries provide high speed internet access suitable for downloading. Directly below the file sizes for the HDMV and AVCHD downloads are listed. You can use these sizes to check if you have downloaded the entire file. For example, in Windows Explorer if you right-click on a file and go to properties the size listed in bytes should match the following values.
- HDMV-2d.exe (498,619,363 bytes)
- HDMV-2d.7z (498,456,547 bytes)
- AVCHD-2d.exe (625,325,484 bytes)
- AVCHD-2d.7z (625,162,668 bytes)

C) If a disc would happen to be unable to play on an HD player that other people are able to use, our typical method of troubleshooting would be first to check that the player's firmware is current, make sure you have selected an appropriate version for your player, and then to try to eliminate disc or computer problems. Common suggestions would be to try a different disc type or brand, burn at a slower speed, or try burning from a different computer. You might also want to check the MD5 hash from the uncompressed .iso file or burned disc. If none of this helps and you would like further feedback on playback problems please list which version you downloaded, the software you are using for burning, and your HD player model.

D) MD5 Hashes can be used to check the integrity of the decompressed .iso file for HDMV and AVCHD versions. MD5summer is an example of a Windows program that can be used to create an MD5 sum. Some software solutions, such as ImgBurn, will also be able to provide an MD5 comparison for a burned disc. A description for using ImgBurn to check MD5 Hashes on a newly burned disc is included in the Example For Windows Computers.

E) Because of the UDF format used for HDMV and AVCHD versions, some computer operating systems like Windows XP will not be able to read a burned disc. The only thing that matters is if a compatible HD player can read the disc. Please do not consider a disc unplayable unless a Blu-ray player can not play it. Even if a computer cannot read the HDMV, AVCHD, or DVDM disc, a Blu-ray player may still be able to read the disc.

F) BD-R LTH Type media is not recommended for HDMV burning, unless you know that the equipment you use supports the discs. This Wikipedia entry reports the PS3 as able to read the discs, but generally BD-R LTH Type discs are not recommended due to possible compatibility issues with some Blu-ray players or burners.

G) LZMA (7-zip) compression is used instead of a more common format like .zip due to efficiency. During testing the download files have been substantially smaller using 7-zip for compression.

KNOWN ISSUES
1) While the majority of recent Blu-ray players can play at least one version, not every Blu-ray player will be able to play the downloads. The only way to support all Blu-ray players would be through Blu-ray replication, and the fees are prohibitive for the original purpose of this project.

2) No patterns are included for items such as audio synchronization, motion resolution, noise reduction, or 50% and 25% colors. At this time no further revisions are planned, yet users may contribute items to the project they consider possibly useful additions.

3) Panasonic players using the AVCHD version may find that the HDTV Calibration video lacks chapter skips and a popup menu. The top menu button on the remote should still return to the main menu, and fast forward or rewind should be able to move through the HDTV Calibration video. Some Panasonic players have been reported to be unable to output the AVCHD as 24p video. At the current time we are not aware of an alternate AVCHD authoring method to solve these reported issues on Panasonic players. The HDMV version burned to BD-RE or BD-R with a Blu-ray burner should include the chapter skips and a popup menu and be able to output 24p on the same Panasonic players.

4) TotalMedia Theatre 5.0.1.80 (November 17, 2010) cannot play the HDMV or AVCHD discs. TotalMedia Theatre 5.0.1.86 has been reported to correct the issue, and it can play the HDMV or AVCHD discs. TotalMedia Theatre 6.0.1.119 was able to play the AVCHD or HDMV from disc, but it was unable to play virtually mounted discs. TotalMeida Theatre has generally been capable of playing the HDMV image mounted with the latest version of Virtual CloneDrive, and some versions of the program can also play the HDMV folders from a hard disk.

REPLIES TO QUESTIONS
- Will AVS HD 709 play on the Xbox 360?
- How do I set a Playstation 3 to output standard video levels?
- Can I use this disc for adjusting controls that affect the shade of gray, such as white balance, gain, offset, or bias?
- Why might other calibration patterns, like Digital Video Essentials, result in a different brightness setting on some displays?
- How does video usually play back on a computer?
- Plasma: pattern size for measurements
- Will there be a future version with small windows for plasma measurements?
- I would like some different patterns. How do I create my own calibration disc?

RELATED LINKS
- Display Calibration - Part I - Basic Settings Guide
- Greyscale & Colour Calibration For Dummies - Measurements Guide
- Basic Guide to Color Calibration using a CMS - Measurements Guide
- HDTV Calibration 101: Part 1 - Segment from HD Nation
- HDTV Calibration Part 2: Brightness and Contrast - Segment from HD Nation
- HDTV Calibration Part 3: Color and Tint - Segment from HD Nation
- HDTV Calibration Part 4: Sharpness - Segment from HD Nation

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
The AVS HD 709 patterns are offered free for personal use. As the authors, hwjohn and myself request any redistribution to retain the credits, which are included in the menus or as a text file in the MP4 version. This project started from input by dr1394 (W6RZ.net), including the program used to convert images. We would like to thank 3no, dr1394, GetGray (calibrate.tv), Imatest.com, J. Vincent, and WalVisions.com for allowing us to include their patterns. We appreciate Mathias Mahling (chokemaniac.net) for providing the original logo design. Thank you to Revision3 and HD Nation for allowing us to include the HDTV Calibration video. Thanks to Hank315 (HC Encoder) for the help, including a special build that was used for HD DVD Mpeg-2 encoding. Credit also goes to kchung for the original disc label layout. Some software that proved valuable includes 7-Zip, AVIsynth, BDedit, ImgBurn, MeGUI, multiAVCHD, and x264. Caramella font from dafont.com has been used in the project. Also thank you to the creators of ColorHCFR for the free calibration program that got the project started, CalMAN and ChromaPure for incentive to continue making changes, the AVS Forum for making the project possible, everyone that supplied feedback, and certainly the numerous others we tried to learn from in the process. If you would like to contribute to AVS HD 709, please support one of the projects that have helped us.

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 01-30-2016 at 08:06 AM.
post #13710 of 24736 Old 01-30-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 4963 Post(s)
Liked: 2979
If haven't already watched "The Walk" on this TV you got a give it a try. I rented "The Walk" a week or so ago and loved the movie enough to buy it in 3D. This TV makes this 3D movie look truly amazing.
geocab likes this.

lujan
623 Ultra HD
727 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page