LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36646Likes

post #1741 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by truelygr8 View Post
I went to Best Buy to pick up my TV today and watched the one they put on display yesterday. The picture in any mode be it 4K or regular feed, was perfect. No need for any adjustments and NO yellowing in the white screen. Blacks were flawless. The picture was perfection. I am guessing at this point all the TV's made before Sept must have all been corrected. Previous productions might have had flaws but these do not. I don't even see the need for adjustments. I watched for an hour and now am buying mine from Chris at Cleveland Plasma. His price is great and will save me over 2,500.00. I am buying the factory 4 year warranty from LG and if there is any issue they will take care of it for me. Good luck guys, I hope your viewing is as pleasurable as mine will be.
What is this LG 4 year factory warranty? How do you get that? I was planning to buy the warranty from Chris.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

Fact is this type of consumer behavior is going to be the end of all physical retail, especially for these types of goods.
Yup. Tower Records isn't coming back. And I wouldn't invest heavily in print news papers either.
stsjfsd likes this.
post #1743 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
If you don't see the problem, nothing I can say will change your mind.

Fact is this type of consumer behavior is going to be the end of all physical retail, especially for these types of goods.
Welcome to the Internet world. Get used to it. Jeeze!!!!!

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:

Well, if Chris can charge $2750 for the TV, why does Best Buy need to charge $4K? To pay their knowledgeable staff? Guarantee you that unless you go to a Magnolia, the BB salesman doesn't know squat about OLED. He's just a salesman.

You bought your TV @ BB, right? A few weeks ago? So you paid $4K?

Personally, I'd be OK with paying BB an extra $250 or so before sales tax for the overhead and convenience, but not $2500 extra.
MtBikeUt likes this.
post #1745 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Yup. Tower Records isn't coming back. And I wouldn't invest heavily in print news papers either.
I did recently buy stock in a company that makes phone booths .
jjackkrash likes this.
post #1746 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath007 View Post
What is this LG 4 year factory warranty? How do you get that? I was planning to buy the warranty from Chris.

Once you register your product with LG you should be able to go right from there to order/add extended warranty coverage.
That is what I will most likely end up doing as well.
Wrath007 likes this.
post #1747 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
Quote:

Here you go
https://lg.yourserviceplan.com/prese...meQuoteLG.aspx
post #1748 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcup View Post
Once you register your product with LG you should be able to go right from there to order/add extended warranty coverage.
That is what I will most likely end up doing as well.
Thanks for the reply. That does sound better as CP's warranty has a cost cap. Any idea how much it will cost for 4 years extended warranty?
post #1749 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I have to disagree with you.. this type of behavior from a retailer will be the end of physical retail..

best buy has leaders and decision makers and they've chosen to make it impossible to price match any retailer who doesn't keep prices sky high like theirs.. some people would call this price fixing, but whatever...

so actually best buy has a choice. they can adapt and respond to bleeding sales because they're trying to hit consumers over the head with huge markups or they can go out of business as more people catch on..

business is earned not given.. maybe you suggest we all pay full sticker for our cars to keep all the unmotivated car dealerships in business as well?
MtBikeUt likes this.

Last edited by marburyno03; 09-30-2015 at 08:43 PM.
post #1750 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
I still miss Tower Records.
post #1751 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. That does sound better as CP's warranty has a cost cap. Any idea how much it will cost for 4 years extended warranty?
You can type in the price you paid for the item right on the website linked above ^
I put in the price I'm expecting from CP and got $276. Very, very reasonable.
This is for 3 years, which would start right at the end of year 1 (so technically 4 years coverage). Can be bought right up until the last day of year one manufacturers warranty, so you have plenty of time to decide.
Wrath007 likes this.
post #1752 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marburyno03 View Post
I have to disagree with you.. this type of behavior from a retailer will be the end of physical retail..

See best buy has leaders and decision makers and they have made choices to make it impossible to price match anyone who doesn't keep their prices sky high like theirs.. some people would call this price fixing, but whatever...

so actually best buy has a choice. they can adapt and respond to bleeding sales because they're trying to hit consumers over the head with huge markups or they can go out of business as more people catch on..

business is earned not given.. maybe you suggest we all pay full sticker for our cars as well to keep all the unmotivated car dealerships in business as well?
its a two way street. The guy said he spent an hour in Bb looking at the tv, with the express intent of not purchasing at that store.

There's no problem with wasting the salesmans time? Maybe preventing a sale from someone that would have actually bought the tv if they could look at it instead of this guy?

If your MO is to take everything legally available then obviously there is no problem here but it is only willful ignorance that prevents anyone from recognizing the unethical behavior.

As you say though bb is the one that has to adapt, nobody is doing anything illegal and they need a solution or will face certain ruin like circuit city.

This is too far off topic, I will spare everyone and refrain from further comments on this topic.
barth2k likes this.
post #1753 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcup View Post
You can type in the price you paid for the item right on the website linked above ^
I put in the price I'm expecting from CP and got $276. Very, very reasonable.
This is for 3 years, which would start right at the end of year 1 (so technically 4 years coverage). Can be bought right up until the last day of year one manufacturers warranty, so you have plenty of time to decide.
Slightly higher than the price Chris quoted me but I will probably go with LG. Gracias for all the replies dear sirs. I have everything set up. New apartment, new TV stand, new DirectTV. Just waiting for this TV to replace my temporary 32 inch LCD
Tomcup likes this.
post #1754 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Slightly higher than the price Chris quoted me but I will probably go with LG. Gracias for all the replies dear sirs. I have everything set up. New apartment, new TV stand, new DirectTV. Just waiting for this TV to replace my temporary 32 inch LCD
I was reading into the fine print on the warranty from LG

(https://lg.yourserviceplan.com/Vendo...Conditions.pdf )

and it looks similar to square trade, in that you still have a maximum value cap on repairs/replacements, and they also have a no-lemon policy. So unless you shell out the big bucks at best buy I'm not sure you can get an unlimited repair/refund option from other warranty vendors. But since it's through LG I'm sure throwing a big enough fit will get you what you want if you had problems. Furthermore, the first year manufacturers warranty shouldn't have this limitation, so do your panel swapping then if you have to. And to add, with the price on these sets continuing to drop, that should help in the event of a buyout or full replacement in the future.
Wrath007 likes this.
post #1755 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusCaesar View Post
Ohh man, now that it's beautiful... Thanks for those pics.
i played some titan fall and assians creed tonight, and some plants vs zombies. gaming looks amazing. especially with dynamic contrast ration.

also i thought the input lag felt non existent
Tomcup, JuliusCaesar and chuckdy like this.
post #1756 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Very difficult for my camera to pick up. Damn moto x...

Just keep in mind with all of my pics I've shown with dark edges that it looks perfect on 5%!!!! So no point in testing that. Must go lower.
Just for clarification purposes. I don't have Netflix. ( OMFG) I know. So, I did a google image search for "Netflix loading screen"
Is that image supposed to be ALL red?!?! If so, Holy **** that's bad.

LG 65EF9500 OLED (511)
HTPC- Titan Black Intel Core i7 3930
Denon AVR-X2300W Channel Full 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver
post #1757 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Sayin View Post
By cross talk I meant seeing double image during 3D viewing. Viewed from a comfortably normal perspective there should be none.

I thought you watched the whole movie. If you get a chance to enjoy and view more 3D content, hope you can comment on this.
I just watched the whole movie of "Insurgent" and had no issues with this at all.. There might have been two small occurrences of something weird, but that could have just been how the movie was shot. Both my girlfriend and I were VERY Impressed with this TV And said that it blows everything else that we have owned out of the water... It is the most realistic picture we have ever seen on blu rays to date.

I'm not sure when I watch 3D mode if it adjusts my picture mode and settings, does it? I know it messes with the brightness since you're wearing glasses, but will it still have my Expert 1 and other picture settings I setup?

Thanks

Please Support My Blu-Ray/4K Collection Part-Out here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-p...-out-work.html
post #1758 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6754 Post(s)
Liked: 6752
post #1759 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Does anyone know how to fix the Amazon app on this TV? Mine just doesn't seem to want to connect to the internet.. Netflix is fine.

Please Support My Blu-Ray/4K Collection Part-Out here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-p...-out-work.html
post #1760 of 24645 Old 09-30-2015, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I tried to watch the first 10 min of dare devil and man it looked so bad for some reason. A lot of noise, and when he was in the booth his face looked weird. I did finally notice some vinegret. (fu guys) So far i've only seen it on loading screens. Most notably when i was playing shadows of mordoor. But when the actual content came, it was gone.
post #1761 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Dimming With HDMI PC input

Hi everyone.

Picked up my 55EF9500 on the 25th of September, and I've experienced some vignetting, that is mitigated almost completely, by lowering the brightness to anything less than 57, so, I might be able to live with that....however...

When I hook up my HTPC via HDMI, or my laptop...or any other computer, even with Energy Saving turned "off", I'm getting an unwanted dimming of the screen, whenever there is about one minute of inactivity on the screen.

The panel has done this with 4 different computers, on every HDMI input, without energy saving on, so, this is probably something engineered into the set, to prevent a static image from producing burn in.

I'm not very happy that I can't override this setting somehow, and I called LG VIP today, to ask about that, and the vignetting.

The person I talked to, "Neil", said he had never heard of the vignetting issue, and that he did not know if dimming the panel when it detects a static image, was engineered into the panel.

Anyway....Neil said he would call me "later in the day", but, yes, you guessed it, he didn't.

I have about 40 more days to preserve my return rights, and even if I can't stop the unwanted dimming, and eliminate completely the vignetting, I'll still probably keep the set, rationalizing that a little darkening of the edges, and dimming of the screen while in PC mode, is far preferable to blooming, grays appearing instead of black, and washout in off axis viewing, that are inherent in LCD/LED displays, compared to the no blooming and inky blacks of the OLED.

I'm asking any fellow EF9500 owner, if they could please hook up their PC to the panel, and let me know if you're seeing involuntary dimming of the display, at any time, whether you're static, or performing mouse or keyboard activity?

I really would appreciate someone else's evaluation and/or duplicating what I'm experiencing with my panel.

Thanks for all of your replies, in advance.
post #1762 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:
Well, I decided to call LG VIP support to talk about the black vignetting issue on the flat panels.

Spoke to a very nice guy, Robert, who was glad to talk to me about it. Apparently I'm not the first who has called in about the issue on the flat panels - Well, I'm the first 65 inch owner, but previously a 55 inch owner had called in about it.

He went on to tell me that LG has apparently fixed the issue on the curved model and flew a bunch of guys in from Korea and they all personally tested out 75 replacement panels and certified them as completely identifying and correcting the black edge problem, which gives me hope.

Since I'm one of the first, I'm going to be a guinea pig for getting this issue resolved on the flat units. LG is apparently just as committed and serious about producing a perfect display as we are committed to buying one. If you have some black vignetting on your flat panel, really don't hesitate to give Robert a call, he seemed like a super nice guy that loves OLED just as much as we do and really wants to make sure everyone is happy with a flawless display.

I'd encourage you to check out the near black 1% to 2% slides and if you have the edges, forward the information to LG so they have more data to work with. At the very least, we can see if anyone here has a unit that has the issue 100% resolved.

I find the idea that LG was unaware of this issue and needs customer feedback about it kind of ridiculous. This defect has been there since the original 1080p model and any idiot working at LG would have zero difficulty seeing it without our help. Of course playing dumb is a better public relations policy.
post #1763 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:
Mine has it on 5, here is 2 and 3 though.

If lg is committed to everyone having no vignette then I need to get in line

I know we're all focused on the vignetting defect but aren't you bothered by those vertical bands/streaks running down your screen? They seem to cover the entire panel. I saw those on the old 1080p OLED too and it would show up as DSE on just about any camera panning shot over a uniform background like dark skies, indoor walls, under-water scenes, fog, etc. It was much more distracting than the vignetting on those older sets.
rossi46 and ReD-BaRoN like this.
post #1764 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Quote:
Well, I decided to call LG VIP support to talk about the black vignetting issue on the flat panels.

Spoke to a very nice guy, Robert, who was glad to talk to me about it. Apparently I'm not the first who has called in about the issue on the flat panels - Well, I'm the first 65 inch owner, but previously a 55 inch owner had called in about it.

He went on to tell me that LG has apparently fixed the issue on the curved model and flew a bunch of guys in from Korea and they all personally tested out 75 replacement panels and certified them as completely identifying and correcting the black edge problem, which gives me hope.

Since I'm one of the first, I'm going to be a guinea pig for getting this issue resolved on the flat units. LG is apparently just as committed and serious about producing a perfect display as we are committed to buying one. If you have some black vignetting on your flat panel, really don't hesitate to give Robert a call, he seemed like a super nice guy that loves OLED just as much as we do and really wants to make sure everyone is happy with a flawless display.

I'd encourage you to check out the near black 1% to 2% slides and if you have the edges, forward the information to LG so they have more data to work with. At the very least, we can see if anyone here has a unit that has the issue 100% resolved.

I find the idea that LG was unaware of this issue and needs customer feedback about it kind of ridiculous. This defect has been there since the original 1080p model and any idiot working at LG would have zero difficulty seeing it without our help. Of course playing dumb is a better public relations policy.
Well they were obviously aware of it, just not on the flat panels I suppose. LG seems more than willing to figure this out, moreso than any other electronics manufacturer I've ever talked to when something went wrong so its at the very least a reason to have a positive outlook.

Fact is the vingetting is improving compared to the initial eg9600 units when it launched so there is progress being made.
post #1765 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
its a two way street. The guy said he spent an hour in Bb looking at the tv, with the express intent of not purchasing at that store.

There's no problem with wasting the salesmans time? Maybe preventing a sale from someone that would have actually bought the tv if they could look at it instead of this guy?

If your MO is to take everything legally available then obviously there is no problem here but it is only willful ignorance that prevents anyone from recognizing the unethical behavior.

As you say though bb is the one that has to adapt, nobody is doing anything illegal and they need a solution or will face certain ruin like circuit city.

This is too far off topic, I will spare everyone and refrain from further comments on this topic.
You go on this forum to get information and then purchase from best buy instead of purchasing from one of the forum sponsors. How is it any different?
Gabatta likes this.
post #1766 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
You go on this forum to get information and then purchase from best buy instead of purchasing from one of the forum sponsors. How is it any different?

Unfair & irrelevant statement to make. No offense to the likely wonderful businesses the sponsors are but it is simple business. There is no moral obligation or responsibility of the forum readers to these sponsors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stsjfsd likes this.
post #1767 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

i usually pride myself on making good points in a debate but this is by far and away the best point of them all.. very well done I'm jealous i didnt think of it, haha.
post #1768 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zielin View Post
the camera isn't really doing the games justice.. i also didn't do much to the TV yet (waiting to break out calman after it's been on for a few days.. maybe.. gamma is off).

PC gaming.. 4k

how is the lag? i haven't play enough yet.. also witcher 3 and MGS V aren't really twitch games that i'd notice it always. "feels" about the same as my VT60.
Damn - if I wasn't already convinced I needed one of these, this set of photos absolutely convinced me; wow - stunning.
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #1769 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yellowish/white vertical band is back. Un-plugged set from wall yesterday after 76 hours of use. The band appeared to go away. However it's back but not as bad. My Oled lamp and contrast settings are fairly low. So this may be masking the problem a bit. I'm a little concerned that no one with a september build has this problem. I hope sets built in August were not pushed out of the factory with this known issue.
post #1770 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
I know we're all focused on the vignetting defect but aren't you bothered by those vertical bands/streaks running down your screen? They seem to cover the entire panel. I saw those on the old 1080p OLED too and it would show up as DSE on just about any camera panning shot over a uniform background like dark skies, indoor walls, under-water scenes, fog, etc. It was much more distracting than the vignetting on those older sets.
for some reason the vertical bands aren't visible in real content. I've now watched alien, Prometheus, batman begins, dark knight rises, and guardians of the Galaxy on this set and have not been distracted by any handing in dark scenes.
Wizziwig, Tomcup and tigertim like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page