LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36646Likes

post #1771 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by polefloat View Post
Yellowish/white vertical band is back. Un-plugged set from wall yesterday after 76 hours of use. The band appeared to go away. However it's back but not as bad. My Oled lamp and contrast settings are fairly low. So this may be masking the problem a bit. I'm a little concerned that no one with a september build has this problem. I hope sets built in August were not pushed out of the factory with this known issue.
Sorry to hear that the band is back. I had a feeling that the reason why you are seeing less of a band is due to your OLED/Contrast settings. I bet if you raised both, the band would be much more noticeable. Changing settings to make this band "disappear" is totally unacceptable to me, and I am sure it would be to others as well. I also believe that the August 2015 builds are the ones that have this issue, since we have yet to hear anyone with a September Build saying anything. I'm getting my replacement today and hoping it's a September Build (fingers Crossed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Can anyone comment on how the 65Ef9500 handles upconversion of cable or sat material? I know the result is often dependent on the material and the signal, especially with cable. I'm asking because I found the EG9600 (curved model) to not do such an exceptional job, but that could have been just set specific.
post #1773 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy View Post
I have FIOS and while it knew about FIOS for paring it didn't have my ARIS MFG in the list so I will have to research that later?
FYI I did find a setting that appears to work. (So the LG remote can be used to operate the ARIS FiOS box...tune to channels, pull up the channel guide, pull up the DVR, etc.)

After selecting FiOS basking ridge, I believe I selected the "unknown" manufacturer from the list of set-top boxes, and then selected the second remote from the list of remote controls. I will confirm later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1774 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post
Can anyone comment on how the 65Ef9500 handles upconversion of cable or sat material? I know the result is often dependent on the material and the signal, especially with cable. I'm asking because I found the EG9600 (curved model) to not do such an exceptional job, but that could have been just set specific.
shockingly good.. well after i shut off all the settings that are there to "help" the picture look better (it shut off everything auto or is there to clean up noise - DIRECTV looked like crap before i did that). That said, there is a chance my pioneer sc-89 is up converting.. i can't really tell.. the unit is amazing (AVR) but the option menus SUCK - there seems to be no way to even know if it was (which kinda sucks)

TV: LG OLED77C8PUA, LG OLED65E7P | Receiver Denon X8500H | 5.1.2 with PSB speakers
HTPC: i9-7900X @ 4.7ghz, DDR4 32gigs, Intel Optane 960gb x2, Nvidia 2080 ti (SLI)
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, Tivo Bolt+, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro, Switch, Fire TV 4k
CalMan Enthusiast, SpectraCal C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro | Control: Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1775 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoober16 View Post
Damn - if I wasn't already convinced I needed one of these, this set of photos absolutely convinced me; wow - stunning.
do invest in a few gtx 980 ti (or the new titan Z - or whatever they are going to call the dual GPU titan that will be out soon). Even my two titan Xs don't really cut it with gaming in 4k. (no problem with MGS V, but the witcher doesn't get to 60fps with every maxed - i need my main PC for that which has 4 titan x). Windows 10 seems to be wacky too with SLI over 2 cards.. which .. makes me.. mad.

the xbox one controller dongle wireless thingy should be out soon too for the PC.

(also the new harmony elite controller. anyone know when that is "out" - my pre-order on amazon has no info)
Tomcup likes this.

TV: LG OLED77C8PUA, LG OLED65E7P | Receiver Denon X8500H | 5.1.2 with PSB speakers
HTPC: i9-7900X @ 4.7ghz, DDR4 32gigs, Intel Optane 960gb x2, Nvidia 2080 ti (SLI)
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, Tivo Bolt+, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro, Switch, Fire TV 4k
CalMan Enthusiast, SpectraCal C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro | Control: Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1776 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121dj View Post
Unfair & irrelevant statement to make. No offense to the likely wonderful businesses the sponsors are but it is simple business. There is no moral obligation or responsibility of the forum readers to these sponsors.
Nor is there a moral obligation or responsibility of best buy patrons to purchase from best buy. I don't see how it's irrelevant or unfair in any way.
post #1777 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Alright folks so i couldn't wait, even though i still need to sell my Samsung i went ahead and took the plunge on the 65 ef9500 (as before my best buy accommodation gave me a sick deal plus a protection plan). So far im in love, beats my js9000 in every way in picture quality. Color, contrast, detail its really impressive. This is also the largest set ive ever owned so i was surprised when my content still looked sharp to my eye from the same distance =)
The only thing the Samsung still has in its favor is the faster input lag for gaming but the lg isn't as bad as i thought it would be. Its noticeable but i don't play much competitive shooters as i used to so not a huge deal. Some movie pics for ya. Have yet to notice any dark edges or yellow tint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151001_100704216.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	970641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151001_100627338.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	970649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151001_100058415_TOP.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	970657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151001_095618615.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	970665  
Ayla, fafrd, KidHorn and 7 others like this.
post #1778 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabibza View Post
Sorry to hear that the band is back. I had a feeling that the reason why you are seeing less of a band is due to your OLED/Contrast settings. I bet if you raised both, the band would be much more noticeable. Changing settings to make this band "disappear" is totally unacceptable to me, and I am sure it would be to others as well. I also believe that the August 2015 builds are the ones that have this issue, since we have yet to hear anyone with a September Build saying anything. I'm getting my replacement today and hoping it's a September Build (fingers Crossed).
Glad to hear you are getting a replacement. Hope it resolves the issue.

Did LG agree to a replacement because of the yellow band?

Would be interesting to see if band is there before you do the lastest firmware update
post #1779 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Wow, you really hate LG, don't you?

LG is not the garbage purveyor you seem to think they are.

Would I prefer an OLED set from Panasonic? Sure, if it were flat.

But failing that, LG is no worse than Samsung in the TV marketplace, and the visual issues present in LCD screens are much more annoying to me than any of the faults seen in OLEDs to date. I don't want to see the occasional "black flames" on edges but it's going to be less common than flashlighting or blooming on LCD sets; that, to me, makes all the difference.
Totally agree but I am not saying Sony, Panny, or Sammy would be the holy grail or better priced (which to be fair LG seems to be doing a great job at as far as affordability for such new tech) but Im sure they would be able to advance the tech further than LG. LGs panels have always had these banding and uniformity issues, nothing new. Just not a company I would back if given the choice. The TV market is so sensitive these days Im surprised they all don't combine like Captain Planet and make a great TV which they all can profit from. LG has the push and feet in the OLED world just need some more brains behind it. Like I said Panny is not the end all be all they left a bad taste with the ZT60 (for my experience), and Sammy is just well Sammy, lots of tech but so much that quality control takes a beating.

Never I my life will I spend 2k on an LCD/LED 4k whatever they are now, Id rather let that money stack till OLED is more concrete in the market place and get a whole set up such as surround etc. Boils down to economy and the job market right now in the US...people want to know they can get more for less, and with LG right now your paying more for less and why LCDs are so attractive to people outside the little percentages of people in these forums.

Anyway, Im a tech geek(not a videophile) and Im willing to see if LG makes some more gains which they seem to be doing slowly but surely. Don't get me wrong it is definitely the first thing I look for when walking in a store, everything else is just
post #1780 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
A few more pictures, now playing a game. Forgive the quality of pictures 2nd gen moto x does not have the best camera...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151001_101502960.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	970689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151001_101340897.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	970697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151001_101636091.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	970705  
post #1781 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockmanwi View Post
A few more pictures, now playing a game. Forgive the quality of pictures 2nd gen moto x does not have the best camera...
are you using deep blacks? the ps4 supports it. i didn't try mind yet.. My consoles just collect dust (aka low res eye cancer boxes. I keep them around if they is something that will ONLY come out on them that i want to play.. like last of us (but i already played that on the ps3). I wonder if journey will run in 4k? hrmm... )
get a HTPC/gaming PC!

Last edited by zielin; 10-01-2015 at 09:04 AM.
post #1782 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I'm seriously in a pinch right now, I work for best buy and i bought the 55 Samsung js 9000 with the Samsung tv accommodation. 2500 dollar tv for 1600 and its great plus i was tired or waiting for lgs accommodation to come out. Well im outside my return policy and LGs accommodation finally went live.

Im labeled as an LG experience expert so i get an extra big discount, so i can get the 65 inch 4k oleds for $2000 and the 55 inch ones for $1500.
Need to find some way to sell my Samsung but wish some ef9500 reviews were out before i did...

Congrats dude now that's more like it for pricing. That's awesome.
post #1783 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Some more impressions.

My content viewing is using 10k's calibration notes as a base.
My Game mode is similar, but added sharpness, DCR and a bit more brightness.

Last night I wanted to test out the input lag. So I fired up titan fall. The display is very responsive. I feel like I was zipping around titanfall faster than I ever have. Holy crap, does that dynamic contrast ration make such a big difference in how it looks. Games just look so good. I think it is because it easier to accept a vibrant colorful world in a game than when watching real content - where you want it accurate. So it gives you the flexibility to adjust the settings to really make it pop. The games look so much sharper. When you turn on DCR you see this grey haze get lifted it’s pretty incredible. Plants vs zombies also looked incredible. That game has a very colorful art style. So it really made everything super vibrant.

Pinball arcade played well, much lower lag than my last TV, and no blur either. The table I was on was TOO bright. So that was annoying. I did AC: Black flag and that too looked crazy. The water, the sand etc. There were a few sun spots that seemed too bright, I tweaked the brightness and color settings a little bit to help curb that. 4k and HDR content looks really really good. I did see one or two scenes that had some Vignetting but it wasn’t very obvious. I wish I never read this thread because now I obsessively look for it. Ugh.

The bad, I tried some shadows of Mordor, and in scenes where they don’t have anything on the screen but they are talking you notice the vignetting that everyone talks about. Also some yellow banding and a tad bit of image retention. Which is bizarre. The only time you get this is when screens are loading or you are on a “nothing is going on screen or a transition screen” in content it does not show. The other bad was when I played DareDevil. The first 10 minutes looked like absolute ****. I Couldn’t tell if that was the source, or my internet or a setting on my TV. It looked bad in both the ultraHD version and through the xbox. I also couldn’t get ARC to send DTS 5.1 back to my receiver, so only stereo. So i need to figure that out. I noticed a slight bit of judder on a scene or two in Longmire. I added some of the TrueMotion settings so maybe that will help. Dejudder 1, deblur 4 right now. Even when watching content with DCR off sometimes some lights look a bit too bright. I’ll prolly have someone come in and calibrate it after a about 100 hours.
Tomcup likes this.
post #1784 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
^ great post! With the vignette you should try to not look for it, but also if it is intrusive then you should try and get it fixed/replaced. My current set definitely has it, but it isnt intrusive so I am trying to forget about it
post #1785 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
Here's some shots of Codemasters Dirt Rally running in max settings at 1080p. The game has a motion blur filter so the pics dont look as good as it does in real life. I'm actually playing this with steam in home streaming and even with the lag inherent in wifi home streaming I find it very playable on this TV.

Last edited by 10k; 10-01-2015 at 09:27 AM.
post #1786 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Alright folks so i couldn't wait, even though i still need to sell my Samsung i went ahead and took the plunge on the 65 ef9500 (as before my best buy accommodation gave me a sick deal plus a protection plan). So far im in love, beats my js9000 in every way in picture quality. Color, contrast, detail its really impressive. This is also the largest set ive ever owned so i was surprised when my content still looked sharp to my eye from the same distance =)
The only thing the Samsung still has in its favor is the faster input lag for gaming but the lg isn't as bad as i thought it would be. Its noticeable but i don't play much competitive shooters as i used to so not a huge deal. Some movie pics for ya. Have yet to notice any dark edges or yellow tint.
Thanks for the pictures! Your post does raise a question i have regarding this set and input from current owners. Is this screen highly reflective and would you recommend it for a room with a lot of ambient light during the day? I dont have a media room and there is a bay of windows on the adjacent wall to where my TV sits. There is no direct light but plenty of windows and ambient coming in where this would go. I really starting considering a 55EF9500 but the reflective screen gives me pause for my particular setup.

Thanks
post #1787 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch83 View Post
Thanks for the pictures! Your post does raise a question i have regarding this set and input from current owners. Is this screen highly reflective and would you recommend it for a room with a lot of ambient light during the day? I dont have a media room and there is a bay of windows on the adjacent wall to where my TV sits. There is no direct light but plenty of windows and ambient coming in where this would go. I really starting considering a 55EF9500 but the reflective screen gives me pause for my particular setup.

Thanks

Seems weird but on most newer tv's of any kind the glossier the screen the better it is for diffusing ambient light sources.

LG 65c6p
Denon avr590
(2) paradigm studio 10's
Velodyne 12 sub
PS4 pro, Apple TV (3rd gen), My Cloud 3tb nas
post #1788 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
That's pretty weak using Best Buy as a showroom and then purchasing elsewhere

Or maybe its a weak effort by Best Buy for not being aware that they are not even remotely competitive with most online retailers. I employ the same tactic. No different than test driving a car. Who cares where its purchased. Its not like someone is taking money out of your pockets.
post #1789 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by zielin View Post
do invest in a few gtx 980 ti (or the new titan Z - or whatever they are going to call the dual GPU titan that will be out soon). Even my two titan Xs don't really cut it with gaming in 4k. (no problem with MGS V, but the witcher doesn't get to 60fps with every maxed - i need my main PC for that which has 4 titan x). Windows 10 seems to be wacky too with SLI over 2 cards.. which .. makes me.. mad.

the xbox one controller dongle wireless thingy should be out soon too for the PC.

(also the new harmony elite controller. anyone know when that is "out" - my pre-order on amazon has no info)
Just make sure they support HDCP 2.2...the Titan X and below doesn't support it, unfortunately, which I believe is "necessary" for 4k content, and one of the main reasons we aren't seeing Netflix 4k on PCs.
post #1790 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by polefloat View Post
Glad to hear you are getting a replacement. Hope it resolves the issue.

Did LG agree to a replacement because of the yellow band?

Would be interesting to see if band is there before you do the lastest firmware update
This is a replacement from Best Buy, since I was still in within my 15 day return/exchange policy. The good thing is that a new 15 day cycle starts today...so if I get the band again...I can get another replacement. Although, I'm hoping I won't have to.
post #1791 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
If you don't see the problem, nothing I can say will change your mind.

Fact is this type of consumer behavior is going to be the end of all physical retail, especially for these types of goods.
then big box retailers need to re-evaluate their sales structure. There is absolutely no sense in paying $2500 more for the same product, unless your completely ignorant. Either that or what the other guy said, the loss of that sale does not hurt Best Buy at all and that's why the continue to sell sets at MSRP.

There's a sucker born every day. The kind that shops at Best Buy.
post #1792 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
How bad is the glare/reflections compared to Samsung?

Sent from my iPhone

/Martin
post #1793 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
As soon as LG adds DolbyVision and hits $2500 on the 65" I am in. Also, hoping for larger sizes, SuperMHL/USB-C port, better motion control and an anti-glare screen, but not holding my breath. Have to admit they have reduced the prices a lot more quickly than I thought they would. Though they are still to expensive for the mass market.
post #1794 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by truelygr8 View Post
I went to Best Buy to pick up my TV today and watched the one they put on display yesterday. The picture in any mode be it 4K or regular feed, was perfect. No need for any adjustments and NO yellowing in the white screen. Blacks were flawless. The picture was perfection. I am guessing at this point all the TV's made before Sept must have all been corrected. Previous productions might have had flaws but these do not. I don't even see the need for adjustments. I watched for an hour and now am buying mine from Chris at Cleveland Plasma. His price is great and will save me over 2,500.00. I am buying the factory 4 year warranty from LG and if there is any issue they will take care of it for me. Good luck guys, I hope your viewing is as pleasurable as mine will be.
Christ you guys over the ocean get awesome prices. The cheapest here is £3000 for the 55" which is 4500 USD
ONDr likes this.
post #1795 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5402 Post(s)
Liked: 3824
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabibza View Post
This is a replacement from Best Buy, since I was still in within my 15 day return/exchange policy. The good thing is that a new 15 day cycle starts today...so if I get the band again...I can get another replacement. Although, I'm hoping I won't have to.
I called Best Buy today about my yellow band too. They are going to replace. Will have to wait until the 20th to get it as they are waiting for their next shipment. After a week of hoping the band would go away, I decided to follow your path and get it exchanged. I have the 45 day return policy. I had a Sony 940C that had a power supply issue, and exchanged for the 9500. I thought for sure they would say I was outside the 45 day window, but didn't realize that it started all over again with the exchange. BTW mine was an August build.
shyguy3763 and atabibza like this.
post #1796 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomkid View Post
Christ you guys over the ocean get awesome prices. The cheapest here is £3000 for the 55" which is 4500 USD

Wow, I got my 65 for less than that from CP

post #1797 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by zielin View Post
Quote:
Christ you guys over the ocean get awesome prices. The cheapest here is ?3000 for the 55" which is 4500 USD

Wow, I got my 65 for less than that from CP
Have you actually gotten your 65 yet or still waiting? Last I checked Chris was still waiting on another shipment
post #1798 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
Quote:
If you have skills in demand, we'll welcome you. Houses are cheaper, the weather is a lot less gloomy and it's harder for Syrian refugees to make it here.

I admit that last one was kind of harsh.
LRS3, Yappadappadu and 121dj like this.
post #1799 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
How bad is the glare/reflections compared to Samsung?
Reflectance values (65JS9500 and 65EG9600)

Samsung 2.2% diffuse 3.1 % mirror
LG 1.2% diffuse 2.1 % mirror

No idea if they changed the coatings between the EG and EF models.

Source: http://www.displaymate.com/TV_OLED_LCD_ShootOut_1.htm
Ayla likes this.
post #1800 of 24645 Old 10-01-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5402 Post(s)
Liked: 3824
I forgot to mention when I called BB for a replacement, I told him I had a yellow band and he asked if it was on the right side and vertical. So at least that rep knew of it. He didn't even bother with trying to get a tech to look at it. He just offered to exchange.
Spizz, liltalkm, rossi46 and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page