LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 655 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36646Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19621 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 11:49 AM
10k
AVS Forum Special Member
 
10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,414
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Question:

When watching UHD content, if it doesn't contain HDR than I can use any preset or custom picture mode just like normal viewing, correct?

But any UHD content that contains HDR forces the TV into a preset mode that I can't alter, right?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
correct
10k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19622 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
overwhelmingly bad experiences reported with panel swaps here.
I'm going to wait a few months and then call LG about my vignetting maybe the whole return/exchange gate thing will be all done by then and they wont hassle me as much

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Ajresendez is offline  
post #19623 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
correct
The only thing I'm getting hung up on is Wide Color Gamut. WCG is independent of HDR, right?

What do TV's do when they display UHD content that has WCG but not HDR?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BigCoolJesus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19624 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
metalsaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western, Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,321
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
The only thing I'm getting hung up on is Wide Color Gamut. WCG is independent of HDR, right?

What do TV's do when they display UHD content that has WCG but not HDR?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
HDR and WCG are 2 separate things.
metalsaber is offline  
post #19625 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
HDR and WCG are 2 separate things.
Right.
What I'm trying to ask is if a UHD movie or content uses WCG, does it force the TV into a specific picture mode (like HDR does)?

For my sanity I am trying to figure out the workflow of UHD and the picture modes I can use with it. If I calibrate a certain picture preset (like ISF 1) to Gamma 2.2/Rec709 standards and put in a UHD Bluray that has WCG, do I still use my calibrated ISF 1 preset?

I get HDR locks in an untouchable picture mode (and since there is no way to calibrate HDR right now it's a moot point)...but what does the presence of WCG material do in terms of switching the TV to a different picture mode or settings?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #19626 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tyrindor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,336
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenLei View Post
For those who completed the panel swap, does it seem as if the majority received a better panel or worse? I know nenuco's vote.
I'd wager there's about a 1% panel repair success rate, given my past repair experience and reading both this and the EG9600 threads entirely. I think i've seen 3 owners happy with the repair results? Dozens more that weren't.

Which is why LG (at one point) was handing out hassle free refunds/upgrades, it's cheaper than doing repairs and then refunding. Now it seems if you actually have a bad set, you got to jump through hoops before you can get your refund. When I called a few hours ago, a tech actually confirmed that the system was abused recently which is why i'm having to jump through more hoops than other owners. I'm not so sure it was abused, or more the fact that a large percentage of these sets seem to have at least 1 of 3 widespread issues. Especially earlier revisions (509, 510, 511), i'm sure luck is better nowadays.

I can't feel sorry for LG here. Most of these defects are noticeable within seconds of turning the TV on, or turning 3D on. I don't believe for a second it's shipping damage on all these displays, so it means they choose to not properly test $5000+ TVs before shipping them. The 2016 models seem to be held to much higher standards.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 05-12-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Tyrindor is offline  
post #19627 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
dcbii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Bias Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Anyone in here use bias lighting?

I used it years ago on my Pioneer plasma. Wasn't sure if it's a benefit to this TV in a completely dark room.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I'm still using my IdeaLume (purchased in 2008 with my KDL-46W3000, 1 bulb replacement) with my EF9500. Whether I need it for black levels or not, it's much easier on my eyes when watching TV in a darkened room when the light is on. Plus, the light emanating from around the edges of the TV just plain looks cool, at least to me!

Dave Barnhart

Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-83, Denon X4200W, Denon X8500H, LG 55EF9500, NVidia Shield TV, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, RSL speakers, all Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables
dcbii is offline  
post #19628 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Right.
What I'm trying to ask is if a UHD movie or content uses WCG, does it force the TV into a specific picture mode (like HDR does)?

For my sanity I am trying to figure out the workflow of UHD and the picture modes I can use with it. If I calibrate a certain picture preset (like ISF 1) to Gamma 2.2/Rec709 standards and put in a UHD Bluray that has WCG, do I still use my calibrated ISF 1 preset?

I get HDR locks in an untouchable picture mode (and since there is no way to calibrate HDR right now it's a moot point)...but what does the presence of WCG material do in terms of switching the TV to a different picture mode or settings?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I use ISF 1 for regular stuff, 1080 or UHD. Tweaked to my liking

I use ISF 2 for HDR discs. when HDR kicks in it will grey out what it does not want you to touch. I don't think WCG is automatically turned on. I prefer it on for HDR so i leave it set to WCG for ISF 2 with my brightness and other tweaks.

Now HDR streaming is different. Amazon so far. If you run Amazon HDR streaming from your Samsung 4K player you would then use ISF2. If you run it from the built in TV apps it has its own HDR mode / settings it goes to when HDR streaming happens from the internal app. Everything is hands off but there is a way to get in there. Search the forums and you will find it. Then you can turn on WCG and change some of the settings if you like. I prefer the HDR streaming from the Samsung player.....Just me

Hope that helps. Funny, if someone read what i just wrote and was from a different time or place, it sure would sound weird and odd. Ha
MarkMul1 is offline  
post #19629 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Senior Member
 
johnnyhanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilefan View Post
Thanks for the note. Used the Youtube source and others to took the pictures. I have a lot of 3D Crosstalk / Ghosting and lot of banding. I tested it after updating to latest firmware. I can see it in every frame. I am gonna call LG and see if they can help. Not sure whether this is a panel issue or a firmware issue.

Where did you get your TV from?
You shouldn't have that much crosstalk. How far are you sitting from the TV? Also, this TV can be sensitive to seating height. If you are sitting too low or too high, you can introduce crosstalk.
johnnyhanson is offline  
post #19630 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMul1 View Post
I use ISF 1 for regular stuff, 1080 or UHD. Tweaked to my liking

I use ISF 2 for HDR discs. when HDR kicks in it will grey out what it does not want you to touch. I don't think WCG is automatically turned on. I prefer it on for HDR so i leave it set to WCG for ISF 2 with my brightness and other tweaks.

Now HDR streaming is different. Amazon so far. If you run Amazon HDR streaming from your Samsung 4K player you would then use ISF2. If you run it from the built in TV apps it has its own HDR mode / settings it goes to when HDR streaming happens from the internal app. Everything is hands off but there is a way to get in there. Search the forums and you will find it. Then you can turn on WCG and change some of the settings if you like. I prefer the HDR streaming from the Samsung player.....Just me

Hope that helps. Funny, if someone read what i just wrote and was from a different time or place, it sure would sound weird and odd. Ha
Thanks for the response!

I guess where I am confusing myself is how WCG is implemented with UHD. I've always set my TV's to "Normal" for color range. And same goes for my external devices, such as Bluray player or Xbox One. But with UHD and HDMI 2.0 specs and all the new specifications for TV's, etc...where does WCG come into play now? Do I have to manually turn it on in the TV for select material? Or will a UHD source that has a WCG encoded force it on?


I know, I must sound really lost and n00bish right now. Normally I grasp new concepts within a post or two of help. But still having trouble grasping where WCG falls into everything with UHD content now.
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #19631 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
al210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Fired up my 9500. Don't see any blatant issues out of the box.
Setup a quick contrast and brightness using a couple pluge patterns.
Will do some full checks later. Right now just want to watch some stuff.
50 OLED light
Brightness 57
Contrast 77
Gamma 2.4

YouTube 4K looks incredible.

Do you guys turn edge enhancer off?
RDalton likes this.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
al210 is offline  
post #19632 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macmane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Crystal Lake
Posts: 2,071
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
Fired up my 9500. Don't see any blatant issues out of the box.
Setup a quick contrast and brightness using a couple pluge patterns.
Will do some full checks later. Right now just want to watch some stuff.
50 OLED light
Brightness 57
Contrast 77
Gamma 2.4

YouTube 4K looks incredible.

Do you guys turn edge enhancer off?
Yes turn edge enhancer off
macmane is offline  
post #19633 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Member
 
FredB51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
overwhelmingly bad experiences reported with panel swaps here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenLei View Post
For those who completed the panel swap, does it seem as if the majority received a better panel or worse? I know nenuco's vote.
My 510 build 65EF9500 had pale yellow and blue tinting on light/white content, which varied with the horizontal viewing angle. Very distracting. No vignetting, minimal banding at 1-5%, some 3D crosstalk. Tech came up from L.A., swapped the panel and the PQ is great! White screen has no coloration, there's no vignetting, and the minimal banding it started with is gone after less than a week of normal viewing and CCs. 3D is good unless I am even with the top of the screen, easy to correct with wall mount tilt. Count me as a happy camper (and I like the looks of the 9500 better than the E6/G6 soundbar grille).
RDalton and 10k like this.

LG 65EF9500 · oppo BDP-103
Yamaha RX-V481
Klipsch 5.1 in wall speaker system

FredB51 is offline  
post #19634 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Thanks for the response!

I guess where I am confusing myself is how WCG is implemented with UHD. I've always set my TV's to "Normal" for color range. And same goes for my external devices, such as Bluray player or Xbox One. But with UHD and HDMI 2.0 specs and all the new specifications for TV's, etc...where does WCG come into play now? Do I have to manually turn it on in the TV for select material? Or will a UHD source that has a WCG encoded force it on?


I know, I must sound really lost and n00bish right now. Normally I grasp new concepts within a post or two of help. But still having trouble grasping where WCG falls into everything with UHD content now.
Other displays I've had automatically turned on WGC. I was not even aware of it. With this LG it is a manual choice. I leave it set to on for my HDR settings, ifs 2. Also turned and let it on for HDR streaming from tv app. I leave it a normal for everything else. Only use for HDR.
Hope it helps.
MarkMul1 is offline  
post #19635 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMul1 View Post
Other displays I've had automatically turned on WGC. I was not even aware of it. With this LG it is a manual choice. I leave it set to on for my HDR settings, ifs 2. Also turned and let it on for HDR streaming from tv app. I leave it a normal for everything else. Only use for HDR.
Hope it helps.
Thanks!! That makes a lot of sense. And simplifies things for me. Only worry about WCG if the UHD source has HDR.

I also just came across this article which helped me sort it all out (I think)

http://www.lightillusion.com/uhdtv.html
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #19636 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Carrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? I am looking to upgrade my bedroom TV. Thanks

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_68965E9...mnews=13592032
Carrick is offline  
post #19637 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,372
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3816 Post(s)
Liked: 3688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick View Post
Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? I am looking to upgrade my bedroom TV. Thanks

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_68965E9...mnews=13592032
No you can do much better check Ebay or Cleveland Plasma.
gadgtfreek likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2

Last edited by chunon; 05-12-2016 at 04:25 PM.
chunon is online now  
post #19638 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,236
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6523 Post(s)
Liked: 6499
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #19639 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Member
 
FredB51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick View Post
Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? I am looking to upgrade my bedroom TV. Thanks

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_68965E9...mnews=13592032
No, Crutchfield's list price is inflated and that's high for scratch and dent. BB is selling for about $4500 new and $4050 open box. CP (above) is probably even less.

LG 65EF9500 · oppo BDP-103
Yamaha RX-V481
Klipsch 5.1 in wall speaker system


Last edited by FredB51; 05-12-2016 at 04:39 PM. Reason: add reference to above post
FredB51 is offline  
post #19640 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Thanks for the response!

I guess where I am confusing myself is how WCG is implemented with UHD. I've always set my TV's to "Normal" for color range. And same goes for my external devices, such as Bluray player or Xbox One. But with UHD and HDMI 2.0 specs and all the new specifications for TV's, etc...where does WCG come into play now? Do I have to manually turn it on in the TV for select material? Or will a UHD source that has a WCG encoded force it on?


I know, I must sound really lost and n00bish right now. Normally I grasp new concepts within a post or two of help. But still having trouble grasping where WCG falls into everything with UHD content now.
To add my two cents after attempting some self calibrations for UHD Blu Ray HDR and reading up on a lot of stuff here.

The consensus so far is that TV automatically uses a wider space than rec709 when watching UHD Blu Rays (which all have HDR and wider color gamut), which also seems to map "okay" in the rec2020 container for UHD Blu Rays. I'm not sure if anyone knows if HDR programing on Amazon etc utilize a wider color gamut - but if they do, it should map to it automatically to an extent.

If you turn Wide Color ON in the TV settings you will be forcing the TV to use colors in line with and wider than rec709 but NOT in line with rec2020 (the UHD HDR standard color container). Colors will certainly explode when you turn it on when watching UHD Blu Rays - but that's not the intention of HDR. As you've probably read, most natural colors exist within the rec709 gamut, and colors beyond that tend to be man-made. So colors in UHD Blu Rays shouldn't look like you've suddenly set color to 100 on the TV. Some people may like this "WoW" factor, and there's nothing wrong with that - but it's not the intent if you are looking for accuracy.

Furthermore I have not seen or heard of anyone getting an accurate (obviously clipped) rec2020 calibration/color mapping on this set with Wide Color enabled unless maybe using an external color processor (and good luck finding an affordable one capable of HDR).

If you are looking for moderate accuracy and don't have equipment to generate HDR test patterns - I'd try doing a good, standard rec709 calibration, keep the TV on that picture preset, then pop in a UHD Blu Ray and let the TV do it's automatic HDR adjustments based off your prior calibration. See what you think then.

Even pros are still tackling proper calibration for HDR - so don't feel like a n00b.

.
Current: LG 77C9 OLED, Denon x6500H @ 7.2.4, Xbox One X, PC w. RTX2080ti
LG 55E6P OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)

Previous: LG 55" EF9500 OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)
Tomcup is offline  
post #19641 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,198
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
Yep, we saw that the cal’d mode was more accurate when it went into HDR mode than a stock mode going into HDR.

The other option is to take a stock mode, go into HDR, measure grayscale, go out of HDR, adjust grayscale, and then go back in and measure. Rinse repeat. Chad got my dE around 5 or 6 IIRC for grayscale in HDR mode.
Tomcup likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Roku Ultra / Uverse
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #19642 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
So, to keep it simple, just calibrate ISF 1 like I normally would for Rec709/regular use and use this preset for UHD Blurays as well?
Tomcup likes this.
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #19643 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,198
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
Yep, roll with it.
Tomcup likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Roku Ultra / Uverse
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #19644 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,011
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Yep, roll with it.
Is it OK to calibrate CMS on the EF's or does it introduce anomalies/artifacts still?
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #19645 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,198
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Is it OK to calibrate CMS on the EF's or does it introduce anomalies/artifacts still?
Id leave the CMS alone.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Roku Ultra / Uverse
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #19646 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,198
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Is it OK to calibrate CMS on the EF's or does it introduce anomalies/artifacts still?
Here is my as found Gamut in ISF 1.



dE 1.63. Good thing because the CMS controls dont work well.

Grayscale with Warm 2 was a dE of 2.6.

They are pretty nice right out of the box once you properly set OLED Light and Brightness.
Tomcup likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Roku Ultra / Uverse
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #19647 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,198
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
Hey @Tomcup have you done 3D yet? I am going to take Fri and Sat night to get used to my new gear and do a 2D mode for 2.4 gamma. I probably won't get to 3D until next weekend if this all goes all right, I am just wondering if the results will be that different when it comes to grayscale.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Roku Ultra / Uverse
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #19648 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Member
 
Valleyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Hey @Tomcup have you done 3D yet? I am going to take Fri and Sat night to get used to my new gear and do a 2D mode for 2.4 gamma. I probably won't get to 3D until next weekend if this all goes all right, I am just wondering if the results will be that different when it comes to grayscale.
How do I know if something is in HDR? Does something pop up on the screen to let me know? I watched some of Marco Polo last night on Netflix through my Roku 4. I was under the impression that it was HDR. But nothing came up on the screen saying that. Is there something on the TV I need to enable? Is there other content on Roku 4 apps that have HDR? Does Amazon have anything? Would really like to see if I can tell the difference. Thanks.
Valleyboy is offline  
post #19649 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 06:13 PM
Member
 
Valleyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyboy View Post
How do I know if something is in HDR? Does something pop up on the screen to let me know? I watched some of Marco Polo last night on Netflix through my Roku 4. I was under the impression that it was HDR. But nothing came up on the screen saying that. Is there something on the TV I need to enable? Is there other content on Roku 4 apps that have HDR? Does Amazon have anything? Would really like to see if I can tell the difference. Thanks.
Sorry, kinda new to this. That wasn't a response to your posting gadgtfreek.
Valleyboy is offline  
post #19650 of 24634 Old 05-12-2016, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,198
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
When the display gets an HDR signal, you will get a popup in the upper right corner, and the menus will go into torch mode.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Roku Ultra / Uverse
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off