LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 710 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36646Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21271 of 24645 Old 06-26-2016, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
fvbounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Alameda, Ca
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyMaster View Post
Which leaves me with the question why Fire TV Box (4k version) isn't capable of HDR???
Becasue it only has hdmi 1.4....thats wrong it does have 2.0...I have to find out why on the Fire thread...sorry...well here's what I found....

http://4k.com/news/amazon-fire-4k-tv...r-hdmi-2-9836/

LG 65EF9500 OLED
Denon AVR-S720W
Sony UBP-X800
Samsung UN55B8500XF FALD
Xfinity 4K XG1v4 DVR

Last edited by fvbounty; 06-26-2016 at 01:05 PM.
fvbounty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #21272 of 24645 Old 06-26-2016, 07:57 PM
Newbie
 
bb0ys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for EF9500 Wall Mount Screw Hole Information

Could someone post a picture of the rear of an EF9500 and call-out the locations of each screw hole for the wall mount bracket and what the measured distance is between them? Thanks!
bb0ys is offline  
post #21273 of 24645 Old 06-26-2016, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston'ish
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb0ys View Post
Could someone post a picture of the rear of an EF9500 and call-out the locations of each screw hole for the wall mount bracket and what the measured distance is between them? Thanks!
You mean like the diagram and dimensions in the manual? wasn't that nice of them?
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...EF9500#manuals
Page 22
dcmovin and 121dj like this.
dianebrat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #21274 of 24645 Old 06-26-2016, 08:52 PM
Newbie
 
bb0ys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
You mean like the diagram and dimensions in the manual? wasn't that nice of them?

Page 22
Yes, exactly that. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
bb0ys is offline  
post #21275 of 24645 Old 06-26-2016, 11:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
Becasue it only has hdmi 1.4....thats wrong it does have 2.0...I have to find out why on the Fire thread...sorry...well here's what I found....

http://4k.com/news/amazon-fire-4k-tv...r-hdmi-2-9836/
Bummer!
You are right. The FireTV 4k has HDMI 2.0 (without a!) AND HDCP 2.2
I always thought HDCP 2.2 requires HDMI 2.0a, but it doesn't....

Now the only(!) reason for me having bought the new FireTV is, that my daughter can use the "old" one....

- ThyMaster

Last edited by ThyMaster; 06-27-2016 at 07:33 AM.
ThyMaster is offline  
post #21276 of 24645 Old 06-27-2016, 04:08 AM
Member
 
superman1213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey, fellas. I just had a couple quick questions:

Is there a definitive list, or at least consensus, of settings to turn on or off when viewing HDR via uhd blu-ray?

How long does every one recommend watching 4x3 films? I'm concerned that watching Gone With the Wind may be too much (4hrs).

Thanks for your thoughts and pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited by superman1213; 06-27-2016 at 04:33 AM.
superman1213 is offline  
post #21277 of 24645 Old 06-27-2016, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston'ish
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman1213 View Post
How long does every one recommend watching 4x3 films? I'm concerned that watching Gone With the Wind may be too much (4hrs)
There's no "too much" other than you sitting too much and getting square butt, OLED doesn't suffer from plasma type image retention.
dianebrat is offline  
post #21278 of 24645 Old 06-27-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,014
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
There's no "too much" other than you sitting too much and getting square butt, OLED doesn't suffer from plasma type image retention.
it does, but it's not permanent like plasma, and it cleans itself up every time you turn it off. Even LEDs suffer from burn in. They have a monitor at my work that has camera images and when it's off you can see the squares on the screen. So don't worry about burn in on your OLED.

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
Teremei is offline  
post #21279 of 24645 Old 06-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston'ish
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
it does, but it's not permanent like plasma, and it cleans itself up every time you turn it off. Even LEDs suffer from burn in. They have a monitor at my work that has camera images and when it's off you can see the squares on the screen. So don't worry about burn in on your OLED.
that's exactly what I said
dianebrat is offline  
post #21280 of 24645 Old 06-27-2016, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Jack Taormina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldm823 View Post
You can tell its HDR as the resulting video is dark. On my EF9500 I have found no way to increase brightness when in HDR. As a result, I usually pick the HD version as the picture looks better than HDR's darkness. Unfortunate as I can not experience the UHD version on some Amazon offerings.
If you hold down the settings button on remote while HDR content is starting up and immediately click on picture menu when it comes up, you can override the HDR settings and adjust anything you want except OLED and Contrast, this will stay as HDR user. give it a try, this was discussed earlier in this thread somewhere. .
Jack Taormina is offline  
post #21281 of 24645 Old 06-27-2016, 01:14 PM
Member
 
Terrantula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman1213 View Post
Hey, fellas. I just had a couple quick questions:

Is there a definitive list, or at least consensus, of settings to turn on or off when viewing HDR via uhd blu-ray?

How long does every one recommend watching 4x3 films? I'm concerned that watching Gone With the Wind may be too much (4hrs).

Thanks for your thoughts and pointing me in the right direction.
I'd like to know this as well. I've watched numerous UHD blu ray movies and they all seem to be noticeably darker than when watching the blu ray of the same film. Would be nice to know what settings to adjust to be able to enjoy the HDR version of the film instead of resorting to the blu ray. I've tried cranking OLED levels to 100 and boosting contrast and those help some, but still cant reach the levels of standard blu ray.
Terrantula is offline  
post #21282 of 24645 Old 06-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Senior Member
 
donaldm823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Taormina View Post
If you hold down the settings button on remote while HDR content is starting up and immediately click on picture menu when it comes up, you can override the HDR settings and adjust anything you want except OLED and Contrast, this will stay as HDR user. give it a try, this was discussed earlier in this thread somewhere. .
this sometimes worked prior to the last LG and Amazon updates. Now, that trick no longer works for me. When it did work, brightness could be changed but not contrast and you really need control over both

update 3 hr later-retired your suggest and it worked. Was able to increase brightness to sat level. Also turned on auto contrast enhance to medium, now have a decent picture. Thanks for suggest. Its tricky to get into the picture settings. I had to try 4x before I hit the timing correctly

Don
SW Florida area
LG 65EF9500 OLED
LG LAS751M sound bar

Last edited by donaldm823; 06-27-2016 at 08:03 PM.
donaldm823 is offline  
post #21283 of 24645 Old 06-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Carter D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
It is very likely that BOSCH HDR10 is configured for 10,000 nits. With today's displays, 1000 nits should have been used.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...ek-2016-a.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post44983858
Buzz, I read today in I think it was TWICE, This Week In Consumer Electronics that Amazon will stream not only in HDR (already does) but also in Dolby Vision. Sadly this doesn't apply to us

LG 65 EF 9500,Yamaha 3050,Oppo 203
Directv C61 4K box, Apple TV, SONOS Connect
Triad Bronze Center, Triad Bronze LR-H Atmos, Elan inwall surrounds, Velodyne Subs,
Savant Remote, Harmony Ultimate Home remote
"It ain't 4K if it ain't shot in 4K"
Carter D is offline  
post #21284 of 24645 Old 06-27-2016, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 5,915
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter D View Post
Buzz, I read today in I think it was TWICE, This Week In Consumer Electronics that Amazon will stream not only in HDR (already does) but also in Dolby Vision. Sadly this doesn't apply to us
True, and on the 2016s, BOSCH season 2 in DV looks a lot better than season 1 in HDR10. I suspect that season 1 may have been improperly mastered. Mad Dogs looks very good with HDR10 on the EF9500 so it isn't the TV.....

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator



 
buzzard767 is offline  
post #21285 of 24645 Old 06-27-2016, 04:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I've read through many (but not most) of the posts here and I'm super excited I just bought this TV. Should arrive next week!

I'm kind of nervous about reading of screen door effect. I got the 65" EF9500 and I'll be sitting about 7.5 feet away. I hope the image isn't spoiled for me!

Also, realistically how worried should I be about burn in? I still watch a fair amount of 4:3 content which I read could be problematic.
dan_druff is offline  
post #21286 of 24645 Old 06-27-2016, 07:29 PM
Member
 
brownielandscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_druff View Post
I've read through many (but not most) of the posts here and I'm super excited I just bought this TV. Should arrive next week!

I'm kind of nervous about reading of screen door effect. I got the 65" EF9500 and I'll be sitting about 7.5 feet away. I hope the image isn't spoiled for me!

Also, realistically how worried should I be about burn in? I still watch a fair amount of 4:3 content which I read could be problematic.
Congrats, but wow! 7.5 feet away on a 65" watching 4:3 to boot??

I'm just curious about all you guys watching 4:3 material. Seems like eating Spam on fine china.
tcat and al210 like this.
brownielandscape is offline  
post #21287 of 24645 Old 06-27-2016, 08:08 PM
Member
 
superman1213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownielandscape View Post
Congrats, but wow! 7.5 feet away on a 65" watching 4:3 to boot??

I'm just curious about all you guys watching 4:3 material. Seems like eating Spam on fine china.
I guess The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, and Casablanca are spam now...
dianebrat, scarabaeus and venus933 like this.
superman1213 is offline  
post #21288 of 24645 Old 06-28-2016, 12:51 AM
Senior Member
 
magnusr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've got a strange problem with computer usage. Maybe you guys know more about it. I got the 55ef9500 about 6 weeks ago and noticed a problem I never had with my old oled 55ec9300. I mostly use the 55ef9500 with my windows 10 (i5-6500) computer.

I've noticed black spots that come and go with desktop usage. See the attached pictures (inside the red circles). Sometimes I wonder if its my desktop background bleeding through. It will go away again by itself. If I immediately after getting the problem display a full-screen 100% white picture it will look perfect (no black spots will then be seen).

Sometimes it can take a minute or two while surfing before it starts. Other times 5-10 minutes before it start. This never happens while watching movies.

I also asked on the English forum. This one guy thought it might have something to do with a image retention future (that maybe could be turned off in the service menu). He also said that the my old oled 55ec9300 did not have this feature. Never been in the service menu myself.

Is this the case? Or is there something wrong with my TV? Right now it makes this more expensive oled 55ef9500 a lot worse than my old 55ec9300 for desktop computer usage.

Plugged in to HDMI1 (named PC). Oled light 60, contrast 70, brightness 49. All TV picture enhancements options set to off. HDMI set to use 0-255 on both TV and computer. Tested with both resolution 1920x1080 60Hz and 3840x2160 24Hz. Same problem.

I use a screensaver that kicks in after 2 minutes. Displays a lot of different pictures that swaps fast. This also kept my old 55ec9300 in perfect order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	1518314   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture2.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1518322  

Sound: Dynaudio Xeo 4, TV: LG 55EF950V, HTPC: Intel i7-6700 with GTX 1070

Last edited by magnusr; 06-28-2016 at 03:10 AM.
magnusr is offline  
post #21289 of 24645 Old 06-28-2016, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,177
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_druff View Post
I've read through many (but not most) of the posts here and I'm super excited I just bought this TV. Should arrive next week!

I'm kind of nervous about reading of screen door effect. I got the 65" EF9500 and I'll be sitting about 7.5 feet away. I hope the image isn't spoiled for me!

Also, realistically how worried should I be about burn in? I still watch a fair amount of 4:3 content which I read could be problematic.
dan,

where'd you buy from? I'm thinking about adding another OLED to my collection and want this model...
Gillietalls is offline  
post #21290 of 24645 Old 06-28-2016, 06:20 AM
Member
 
Jack Taormina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldm823 View Post
this sometimes worked prior to the last LG and Amazon updates. Now, that trick no longer works for me. When it did work, brightness could be changed but not contrast and you really need control over both

update 3 hr later-retired your suggest and it worked. Was able to increase brightness to sat level. Also turned on auto contrast enhance to medium, now have a decent picture. Thanks for suggest. Its tricky to get into the picture settings. I had to try 4x before I hit the timing correctly
Yeah the timing is tricky but once into the settings it is nice to have some control. I set my sharpness up about 5 clicks seems to help. I here on the 2016 models the DV and HDR settings are all adjustable. Must be nice.
Thanks
Jack Taormina is offline  
post #21291 of 24645 Old 06-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Member
 
webminster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anyone been having any problems with the Netflix app suddenly stopping and reverting back to the "who's watching" screen? It may be Netflix having problems, but have another TV and Roku playing a movie without interruption... but the 65EF9500 app today has skipped out a few times. Most recent updates.
webminster is offline  
post #21292 of 24645 Old 06-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
dcbii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman1213 View Post
I guess The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, and Casablanca are spam now...
Seriously. And "Singin' in the Rain" too. Some of you are missing some real gems.

Now, Hogan's Heroes might be spam, but if so, it's mighty good spam...

Apropos EF series, I do watch a fair amount of 4:3 material on this TV, and I've not seen any image retention issues just from normal watching patterns, even with long movies.
venus933 likes this.

Dave Barnhart

Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-83, Denon X4200W, Denon X8500H, LG 55EF9500, NVidia Shield TV, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, RSL speakers, all Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables

Last edited by dcbii; 06-28-2016 at 10:55 AM.
dcbii is offline  
post #21293 of 24645 Old 06-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
al210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
dan,

where'd you buy from? I'm thinking about adding another OLED to my collection and want this model...
For online try Cleveland Plasma (Now Cleveland AV). He is a sponsor on this forum. Chris will treat you well as he has done for many members here including myself.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
al210 is offline  
post #21294 of 24645 Old 06-28-2016, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
al210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Just contacted LG VIP concerning my light yellowing problem on the left side of the screen. Tech is scheduled for this Thursday afternoon.
I waited till my 100 hours were up but the problem has not gotten better. I notice it on a white background or during hockey games.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
al210 is offline  
post #21295 of 24645 Old 06-28-2016, 11:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
For online try Cleveland Plasma (Now Cleveland AV). He is a sponsor on this forum. Chris will treat you well as he has done for many members here including myself.
Got it from Cleveland Plasma on recommendation from this forum (I've been lurking too long and obsessing over this decision OCD style). Buying was easy over phone and email. No idea about service or anything - waiting to receive it but Chris seemed nice and gave me what I thought was a good price without any nonsense.

As far as 4:3 content I enjoy playing old video games (because I'm old) and my family likes watching old tv shows like Simpsons, South Park, etc. The new ones are in HD but the classics aren't. Most of what we watch is in HD but a good chunk (maybe 20%) isn't. Call it spam if you want, I want to watch/play what I enjoy.

Would really appreciate comments on input lag. Based on my very unreliable tests I believe my current screen is around 20ms and I can say I haven't noticed any lag at all. I'm very worried that going up to 55ms will make games unplayable.
dan_druff is offline  
post #21296 of 24645 Old 06-28-2016, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Plano, TX USA
Posts: 3,865
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 899
I had read somewhere that Season 2 of Bosch on Amazon was only in Dolby Vision, but that's obviously not the case since we started watching it last night (and these sets only have HDR10). Looks just as good as Season 1 for the most part, with a couple instances of near black compression issues I don't remember previously (could have been bandwidth related). Really good show.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
Stanton is offline  
post #21297 of 24645 Old 06-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Member
 
dobbler44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusr View Post
I've got a strange problem with computer usage. Maybe you guys know more about it. I got the 55ef9500 about 6 weeks ago and noticed a problem I never had with my old oled 55ec9300. I mostly use the 55ef9500 with my windows 10 (i5-6500) computer.

I've noticed black spots that come and go with desktop usage. See the attached pictures (inside the red circles). Sometimes I wonder if its my desktop background bleeding through. It will go away again by itself. If I immediately after getting the problem display a full-screen 100% white picture it will look perfect (no black spots will then be seen).

Sometimes it can take a minute or two while surfing before it starts. Other times 5-10 minutes before it start. This never happens while watching movies.

I also asked on the English forum. This one guy thought it might have something to do with a image retention future (that maybe could be turned off in the service menu). He also said that the my old oled 55ec9300 did not have this feature. Never been in the service menu myself.

Is this the case? Or is there something wrong with my TV? Right now it makes this more expensive oled 55ef9500 a lot worse than my old 55ec9300 for desktop computer usage.

Plugged in to HDMI1 (named PC). Oled light 60, contrast 70, brightness 49. All TV picture enhancements options set to off. HDMI set to use 0-255 on both TV and computer. Tested with both resolution 1920x1080 60Hz and 3840x2160 24Hz. Same problem.

I use a screensaver that kicks in after 2 minutes. Displays a lot of different pictures that swaps fast. This also kept my old 55ec9300 in perfect order.
I have the same thing on my 65". It is not permanent, it doesn't happen every time, but it is there. Mine mostly seems like the icons bleeding through. I ignore it the best I can.

LG 65EF9500 OLED (511)
HTPC- Titan Black Intel Core i7 3930
Denon AVR-X2300W Channel Full 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver
dobbler44 is offline  
post #21298 of 24645 Old 06-28-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
6athome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,542
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I have seen the price drops of the 65 EF9500 and I am lusting, sorry I got off my question and that is, the TV is HDR able, I guess it can play HDR 10? Does anyone whish they would have held out for a 2016 and DV?
6athome is offline  
post #21299 of 24645 Old 06-28-2016, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
al210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post
I have seen the price drops of the 65 EF9500 and I am lusting, sorry I got off my question and that is, the TV is HDR able, I guess it can play HDR 10? Does anyone whish they would have held out for a 2016 and DV?
Can only speak for myself and the answer is no. Too much of a difference in price to justify just for DV which there is very little content of. I don't really need a brighter picture that the 2016 models offer.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER

Last edited by al210; 06-28-2016 at 04:31 PM.
al210 is offline  
post #21300 of 24645 Old 06-28-2016, 07:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post
I have seen the price drops of the 65 EF9500 and I am lusting, sorry I got off my question and that is, the TV is HDR able, I guess it can play HDR 10? Does anyone whish they would have held out for a 2016 and DV?
I think only an early adopter that paid full retail can properly answer this. In less than 9 months the price of the 65" has dropped from $5500 to less than $3000. I just bought mine at discount and upgraded my surround sound instead of buying the new model. From what I understand to get the most out of Dolby Vision you need a 12 bit panel which no manufacturer even makes yet. Also, Dolby Vision content is very limited right now. Everyone keeps on saying Dolby Vision vs HDR10 but from what I have read they are working on updating HDR10 to dynamic metadata. Will any existing TV with HDR10 be able to be upgraded? What about Technicolor's HDR solution? There is no such thing as a future proof TV. I think we can safely expect he prices of OLED to drop dramatically in the very near future. Manufacturing costs are dropping and high end LED tvs will get better forcing LG to have to compete. Short answer no.
Spine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off