LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 803 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36665Likes

post #24061 of 24782 Old 12-07-2017, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
EF9500 and HDR?

A year+ after my 55" EF9500 purchase, I finally got around to getting a 4K-HDR player and media and ... I'm underwhelmed.

XBOX One S, directly connected to the TV
Expert 2 setting (also tried "Cinema" and looks near same)
Westworld (and Planet Earth 2)

I had previously tried some of the Amazon Prime HDR content (Bosch) and thought it was pretty bad. Figured that might have just been early issues. Now, I have an XBOX One S (yeah, I know it isn't an Oppo), and put in Westworld. And was ready to be wowed. Instead, all the scenes in the main complex (labs) are subdued, and very green hued. There's one particular scene with Bernard superimposed against a window at night. His black jacket is indistinguishable from the background. Sure, the outdoor vistas look nice, but not obviously nicer than the std BD version also in the case. Planet Earth 2 looks good, very good. But I wouldn't call it great. It doesn't rock my world.

So, are there settings I have to use? One I noticed that wasn't set was the wide color gamut (it's on "Standard"). Wide didn't seem to change it much.

So, what gives? I keep reading about how HDR is phenomenal. At this point, I'd rather turn it off.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24062 of 24782 Old 12-07-2017, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
65ef9500 slowly dieing

Over the last week my EF9500 has been slowly dieing :-( It started off with the occasional on screen flicker but each day it's been getting worse. What's funny is that all of the menu overlays work perfectly - the flicker only happens when it's trying to render live tv, any hdmi input, or video from any buil in app. The menus all work fine. Will try to attach picture. It's over 2 yers old now, well out of warranty, so I'm going to probably want to repair this. Any ideas on what's likely to be bust? Main board? If so, are parts readily obtainable and is the surgey pretty easy, or should I just prepare myself for an expensive LG repair service?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	821.4 KB
ID:	2327400  
post #24063 of 24782 Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyingBeep View Post
Over the last week my EF9500 has been slowly dieing :-( It started off with the occasional on screen flicker but each day it's been getting worse. What's funny is that all of the menu overlays work perfectly - the flicker only happens when it's trying to render live tv, any hdmi input, or video from any buil in app. The menus all work fine. Will try to attach picture. It's over 2 yers old now, well out of warranty, so I'm going to probably want to repair this. Any ideas on what's likely to be bust? Main board? If so, are parts readily obtainable and is the surgey pretty easy, or should I just prepare myself for an expensive LG repair service?
Woops. My picture is upside down, but you get the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24064 of 24782 Old 12-07-2017, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 5789 Post(s)
Liked: 4146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSGfan View Post
A year+ after my 55" EF9500 purchase, I finally got around to getting a 4K-HDR player and media and ... I'm underwhelmed.

XBOX One S, directly connected to the TV
Expert 2 setting (also tried "Cinema" and looks near same)
Westworld (and Planet Earth 2)

I had previously tried some of the Amazon Prime HDR content (Bosch) and thought it was pretty bad. Figured that might have just been early issues. Now, I have an XBOX One S (yeah, I know it isn't an Oppo), and put in Westworld. And was ready to be wowed. Instead, all the scenes in the main complex (labs) are subdued, and very green hued. There's one particular scene with Bernard superimposed against a window at night. His black jacket is indistinguishable from the background. Sure, the outdoor vistas look nice, but not obviously nicer than the std BD version also in the case. Planet Earth 2 looks good, very good. But I wouldn't call it great. It doesn't rock my world.

So, are there settings I have to use? One I noticed that wasn't set was the wide color gamut (it's on "Standard"). Wide didn't seem to change it much.

So, what gives? I keep reading about how HDR is phenomenal. At this point, I'd rather turn it off.

TIA!
You are going to have to set dynamic contrast to medium or high when watching HDR.
post #24065 of 24782 Old 12-08-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1832 Post(s)
Liked: 952
Quote:
Main Board...especially when you say it happens with external inputs (which are part of the main board). Believe it or not, replacing the main board is not that hard (see pics on my website here).
I would be curious to know what the build date was of your TV, as there was an update/turn of the main board in the first few months after release (mine was replaced back in the Fall of 2015).

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.05], Roku
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #24066 of 24782 Old 12-08-2017, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Main Board...especially when you say it happens with external inputs (which are part of the main board). Believe it or not, replacing the main board is not that hard (see pics on my website here).
I would be curious to know what the build date was of your TV, as there was an update/turn of the main board in the first few months after release (mine was replaced back in the Fall of 2015).
Where can we find main boards for the 65EF and how much? I'd rather buy a spare now and hold onto it just in case...
post #24067 of 24782 Old 12-08-2017, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7518 Post(s)
Liked: 7549
Quote:
Parts usually can not be sold new to end users, only service centers. There is Ebay though

That does not pan out prepare myself for an expensive LG repair service. Just for them to come out you are looking at $100, odds are favorable it will not be worth fixing when you factor in the TV is still not in warranty when you are done compared to the cost of a new unit I hope that I am wrong.......
post #24068 of 24782 Old 12-08-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Woops. My picture is upside down, but you get the idea.
Easy fix replacing main board. I just got done fixing my 51F8500. I had a power surge take it out. I accidentally had it plugged directly into the wall(ill never do that again). Replaced power supply and Y-Board. Now I have a working F8500 again. LG OLEDs are easier to fix as they have less boards to deal with than plasmas. And if you dont feel comfortable doing it, youtube a repair.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
post #24069 of 24782 Old 12-08-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Parts usually can not be sold new to end users, only service centers. There is Ebay though
Does anyone know the right part number? Do people really sell genuine new parts on eBay, or are they likely stripped from TV's and probably of unknown quality/function?

I might be game to give this a shot. I once revived a dead MacBook (coffee disaster) by scrubbing the mainboard with 99% sopropyl Alcohol...
post #24070 of 24782 Old 12-08-2017, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerip View Post
those look like pixels failing and no I dont remember anything in reading this massive thread that showed similar to that. Sorry.
Thank you, I appreciate the response. Pixels failing on a $2.5k+ TV that is 2 years and few days old? Bah... That is just crappy. I suppose the only option is a new TV. Strange that it happened in such a localized area though.. leads me to believe something caused this vs random failure. But the TV has never left my wall in two years....???
post #24071 of 24782 Old 12-08-2017, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeResolution View Post
Thank you, I appreciate the response. Pixels failing on a $2.5k+ TV that is 2 years and few days old? Bah... That is just crappy. I suppose the only option is a new TV. Strange that it happened in such a localized area though.. leads me to believe something caused this vs random failure. But the TV has never left my wall in two years....???
yea that is really not good. Interestingly it also looks like the entire side row above it has or is failing and yet below it is doing just fine.

I went and checked mine on the edges after seeing that but have nothing of the sort. Really sorry that happened on your set. Can you describe how fast or slow this started to appear?

OTA with 2 handcrafted 4 bays | Whole home Wired GigE | 16TB UnRaid running on SC846 24 bay TAMS | Arris SB 6183 - 200/20 Charter (yuck) | Main Screen - LG 55EF9500 | RaspberryPI KODI on 27" monitor | 2 x Nexus 4 | 3 x Nexus 7 | LG G3 | Nexus 5x | iPod touch 6gen
post #24072 of 24782 Old 12-08-2017, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
You are going to have to set dynamic contrast to medium or high when watching HDR.
Thanks for the reply. So, not remembering the "medium or high" part, I naturally set it to "low". Oddly, it seemed that "low" makes it (Westworld) more contrasty than the other settings! Or maybe I'm being fooled by brightness levels?

Also, while it made for far more contrast than my original setting (dynamic contrast OFF), it struck me as unrealsitic. And BTW, also still green tinged. So, I'm really still at a loss of what is "right" or "best". I started searching "dynamic contrast" in this thread, and started getting lost. So, if I could push a bit further ...

Can someone give a list of "correct" settings for HDR with the EF9500, with XBOX One S (not that this should matter!) directly connected to one of the TV's inputs (#3 in my case)? And an explanation of why? Or does it just come down to taste? Or worse yet, source?

Thanks again. And maybe I'll deeper dive through this thread tomorrow...
post #24073 of 24782 Old 12-09-2017, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Parts are all over ebay, worth a shot as LG service is really just going to charge you $$ for something you can do.

Main power supply part to search for is (65") "65EF9500-UA" (55) "55EF9500-UA", runs about $100

assuming that is the issue, there are only a few boards inside that would cause what you are seeing and I actually suspect it's the T-Con board. Note it's always recommend to check for lose ribbon cables as often problems start there and are simple fixes.

Main power supply
UA T-Con Board (Timing Control Board Unit) ---- Video issues start here
Sub Power Supply EAY63769101 (I am not sure where the sub is applied to)

Hope that helps

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
My YouTube Tech Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/TechFan
post #24074 of 24782 Old 12-09-2017, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy View Post
Parts are all over ebay, worth a shot as LG service is really just going to charge you $$ for something you can do.

Main power supply part to search for is (65") "65EF9500-UA" (55) "55EF9500-UA", runs about $100

UA T-Con Board (Timing Control Board Unit) ---- Video issues start here
Sub Power Supply EAY63769101 (I am not sure where the sub is applied to)

Hope that helps
Did you not read my answer (copied above)?
It is the Main Board...not the power supply or T-Con board; I have had mine replaced (as mentioned in my post).
So...you provided part numbers for just about every board back there (my pics show a total of 4) except the one he needs.
And yes: it is an easy DIY job (unless you have absolutely no electronics experience at all).

post #24075 of 24782 Old 12-09-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
It is the Main Board...not the power supply or T-Con board; I have had mine replaced (as mentioned in my post).
So...you provided part numbers for just about every board back there (my pics show a total of 4) except the one he needs.
And yes: it is an easy DIY job (unless you have absolutely no electronics experience at all).
fair enough it's the main board then, but what is that part # for the OP?

Quick search I do not see any for sale

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
My YouTube Tech Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/TechFan
post #24076 of 24782 Old 12-10-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7518 Post(s)
Liked: 7549
post #24077 of 24782 Old 12-11-2017, 11:14 AM

So I have been doing my own research of course. Sadly it does not appear to be straight forward. Here is what I have found so far

1) Using lg.encompass.com, linked from the LG website as an authorized midwest retailer, searching for 65EF9500UA-AUSZLJR, it provides EBT64006605 "Chassis Assembly". It lists as an equivalent EBT64006602 - Chassis Assembly. It does not in any way say why you might want one or the other. The picture of the 6602 shows some extra cables and what appears to be some extra plastic at the bottom. I don't think i need the plastic, I have that piece already and it's not broken. The later number - 05 versus 02, makes me wonder whether the 6605 is a newer board revision. Maybe the 6605 fixes the issues that caused my board to die and the 6602 will just blow the same way again? The 6605 is backordered for 2 months. The 6602 is available in 3 days. Anyone know the difference or have any contacts or insider info they can leverage? I am not sure I can wait 2 months for the 6605. I definitely can't wait that long if I get there and then it's still not in stock.

To further complicate matters, lg.encompass.com also lists EBU63457401 as equivalent to EBT64006602, but is out of stock for 60 days. It then lists CRB35228701 as equivalent to EBU6345740. That one is "Bpr Total Assembly,refurbished Board" so I presume it to be a refurbished 6602 board. Out of stock for 60 days.

2) A different authorized supplier - Andrews Electronics (west US) - their website says EBT64006605 is the right part but that it has been substituted with EBT64006602. It does not even give the chance to order 6605, it wants you to go to 6602. When you get to the 6602 listing, it then says that has been substituted with CRB35648501 "CHASSIS ASSEMBLY,REF" - which I take to also mean Refurbished. So Andrews doesn't give you the ability to buy either the 6602 or 6605 board. It's the refurb only, and that is maybe in stock in 5 days time.

Sadly ebay does not appear to have any of these.

Not sure what to do. I've got the TV in pieces and I've reinserted all the ribbon cables and connectors. No improvement (but at least I didn't make it worse) and I can see how replacing the board is going to be an easy job, so I am reluctant to get an LG service call going and pay a massive premium for this.

post #24078 of 24782 Old 12-11-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Actually, I found an $80 T-CON board on eBay and went ahead and ordered that even though that is unlikely to be the issue. I decided I might as well try swapping it while I try to locate a new mainboard. If it fixes it then I cancel my mainboard search and all is well. If it doesn't fix it, I've either got a T-CON board to put back on eBay, or more likely I'll stash it somewhere for if/when that does need replacing.
post #24079 of 24782 Old 12-13-2017, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerip View Post
Can you describe how fast or slow this started to appear?

I didnt notice it until thanksgiving, and it was how you see it now. It also doesn't appear to be getting worse yet. What is still strange to me is the overall shape. It looks more like something growing...if it was failing pixels, wouldnt the shape be more..."blocky"?

I thought maybe someone set a candle under the set on the mantle and heated the TV... but there were no indications on the bottom bezel of anything external happening. I double checked the heat output of the fireplace as well. (I'm aware that mounting a TV over the fireplace can cause issues). But even after running the fireplace for hours, there is no noticeable warmth or heat gain near the TV. I have noticed some small spiders making their home behind the set...I removed them...maybe one got inside and did something? Oh well....I'll just run it until it gets worse, then replace with something a bit cheaper.
post #24080 of 24782 Old 12-14-2017, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeResolution View Post
I didnt notice it until thanksgiving, and it was how you see it now. It also doesn't appear to be getting worse yet. What is still strange to me is the overall shape. It looks more like something growing...if it was failing pixels, wouldnt the shape be more..."blocky"?

I thought maybe someone set a candle under the set on the mantle and heated the TV... but there were no indications on the bottom bezel of anything external happening. I double checked the heat output of the fireplace as well. (I'm aware that mounting a TV over the fireplace can cause issues). But even after running the fireplace for hours, there is no noticeable warmth or heat gain near the TV. I have noticed some small spiders making their home behind the set...I removed them...maybe one got inside and did something? Oh well....I'll just run it until it gets worse, then replace with something a bit cheaper.
With this new information (mounted near a fireplace and hasn't gotten progressively worse)...I went back to look at your original pics and believe this could have been caused by an isolated excessive heat event.
Just sayin'...

post #24081 of 24782 Old 12-14-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Swapped the T-CON board, no fix. I just replaced the mainboard and that did fix it. :-) So now I have spare T-CON board. Going to keep an eye out for another mainboard too, in the event I have to deal with this again. The build date of my TV was October 2015 by the way.
post #24082 of 24782 Old 12-15-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Swapped the T-CON board, no fix. I just replaced the mainboard and that did fix it. :-) So now I have spare T-CON board. Going to keep an eye out for another mainboard too, in the event I have to deal with this again. The build date of my TV was October 2015 by the way.
Outstanding! You might want to post the main board part number (and where you found it) again for anyone who comes searching in the future. IIRC, LG told me the "new" main boards were manufactured in October 2015 (mine arrived from Korea in November), so I would assume you had one of the old/defective batches.

post #24083 of 24782 Old 12-15-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Outstanding! You might want to post the main board part number (and where you found it) again for anyone who comes searching in the future. IIRC, LG told me the "new" main boards were manufactured in October 2015 (mine arrived from Korea in November), so I would assume you had one of the old/defective batches.
Yep the one I ended up ordering was EBT64006602 at Andrews Electronics, sadly for $400. I thought it was ultimately going to be $300 after you get $100 back for returning the "core" (i.e the defective part you take out) but I've now learned it's a store credit. * So pretty much $400 if I don't need to ever use that credit. Still, when I think it could of been $2000+ on a comparable new TV, I guess I can live with it.
post #24084 of 24782 Old 12-15-2017, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Yep the one I ended up ordering was EBT64006602 at Andrews Electronics, sadly for $400. I thought it was ultimately going to be $300 after you get $100 back for returning the "core" (i.e the defective part you take out) but I've now learned it's a store credit. * So pretty much $400 if I don't need to ever use that credit. Still, when I think it could of been $2000+ on a comparable new TV, I guess I can live with it.
so did you get the parts installed and did that fix your issue? Can you link me to the parts you bought? I need to save that info just in case. Thanks!
post #24085 of 24782 Old 12-15-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkrypt3d View Post
so did you get the parts installed and did that fix your issue? Can you link me to the parts you bought? I need to save that info just in case. Thanks!
I ordered the parts myself and installed them myself. It really wasn't that difficult. It did fix the issue.

Last edited by AnnoyingBeep; 12-15-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: format improvement
post #24086 of 24782 Old 12-22-2017, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Does anyone else use the built in amazon app over a WiFi connection? I have 25 mbps house speed and I can’t keep uhd/hdr to consistently stream without constantly dropping to SD then HD then back to UHD. I think it may be an issue with the internal app because it streams fine on my Sony 800e. Just curious is anyone else experiences this.

LG 65EF9500 / Def Tech 8060st / Def Tech 8040cs / SVS PC-2000 / Denon S710W / ATV4K / Sony UBP-X800
post #24087 of 24782 Old 12-22-2017, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4894 View Post
Does anyone else use the built in amazon app over a WiFi connection? I have 25 mbps house speed and I can’t keep uhd/hdr to consistently stream without constantly dropping to SD then HD then back to UHD. I think it may be an issue with the internal app because it streams fine on my Sony 800e. Just curious is anyone else experiences this.
Yes...with 50 Mbs DL speed.
I do notice the occasional struggle to maintain UHD resolution (not so much HD) which I (also) attribute to the internal app since I see much less of that with other apps. However, there is also the possibility that the Amazon servers/network are to blame since I don't see similar behavior with other services (Netflix/Vudu/etc).

post #24088 of 24782 Old 12-22-2017, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Been seeing similar issues with the Amazon app as well. Slow to lock into a 1080p stream, and high tendency to drop out of UHD. I think it's the TV or app, since I don't see any or as much issue with a Roku on same network. Doesn't matter if I use wireless or hardwire to the TV. And, it doesn't affect Netflix, no issue keeping a UHD stream there. Haven't been sure if it was the app, or Xfinity throttling Amazon traffic.

Last edited by webminster; 12-22-2017 at 09:18 PM.
post #24089 of 24782 Old 12-23-2017, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4894 View Post
Use it every day, but not everything I watch is UHD. Works well for me, even with UHD. Download peaks at 100 Mbps, but is more often anywhere from 40 to 75.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

LG 65EF9500
Sony UBP-X800
Polk LSiM703, LSiM704C, LSiM 702, LSi 7
Rythmik D15SE
Marantz AV7703, Outlaw 7125, 3x2200
post #24090 of 24782 Old 12-23-2017, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread

Thanks for the feedback. I contacted amazon and asked for an update to the tv app to correct this but I just got a generic answer so I don’t have high hopes.

Grand Tour looks phenomenal in uhd on this tv, but only holds for a few minutes and drops quality for a few minutes and cycle repeats. My only other streaming device connected to this tv is my Sony uhd player but the amazon app on this is not hdr, bummer.

LG 65EF9500 / Def Tech 8060st / Def Tech 8040cs / SVS PC-2000 / Denon S710W / ATV4K / Sony UBP-X800

Last edited by j4894; 12-23-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page