LG 55EF9500 and 65EF9500 OLED Owners Thread - Page 824 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36665Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #24691 of 24739 Old 11-30-2019, 02:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
The tv may be getting dimmer because it is aging. Half life on these tv's are not as good as the newer tv's. So if you have 10,000 hours on your tv you are likely approaching it's half life. Now that doesn't mean it gets dramatically dimmer, but that it may have lost 10 to 15% of it's peak brightness compared to when it was brand new. When brand new it's peak brightness was 540 nits, which was the minimum standard for HDR. So if it has lost 10 to 15%, the tv's peak brightness may only be 470 nits or so, not really enough for HDR anymore.
Interesting, good to know. I'm still overall extremely happy with the TV and would need something to probably break before I replace it. There's no way to turn up the OLED light just on HDR mode is there?
Mahler12x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24692 of 24739 Old 11-30-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,729
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5713 Post(s)
Liked: 4089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahler12x View Post
Interesting, good to know. I'm still overall extremely happy with the TV and would need something to probably break before I replace it. There's no way to turn up the OLED light just on HDR mode is there?
Nothing you can do to make it brighter other than having OLED light and contrast at 100.
wxman is offline  
post #24693 of 24739 Old 11-30-2019, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maverick0984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahler12x View Post
Interesting, good to know. I'm still overall extremely happy with the TV and would need something to probably break before I replace it. There's no way to turn up the OLED light just on HDR mode is there?
It's discussed in this thread a bunch but Dynamic Contrast helps a lot when In HDR. Some of the settings get overwritten it seems when HDR kicks on. The brightness you are seeing without Dynamic Contrast is not the panels max brightness.
Maverick0984 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24694 of 24739 Old 12-03-2019, 04:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0984 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahler12x View Post
Interesting, good to know. I'm still overall extremely happy with the TV and would need something to probably break before I replace it. There's no way to turn up the OLED light just on HDR mode is there?
It's discussed in this thread a bunch but Dynamic Contrast helps a lot when In HDR. Some of the settings get overwritten it seems when HDR kicks on. The brightness you are seeing without Dynamic Contrast is not the panels max brightness.
Could never watch HDR on this set without Dynamic Contrast on low. It's just to dim.
lukather101 is offline  
post #24695 of 24739 Old 12-13-2019, 07:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Parts usually can not be sold new to end users, only service centers. There is Ebay though

That does not pan out prepare myself for an expensive LG repair service. Just for them to come out you are looking at $100, odds are favorable it will not be worth fixing when you factor in the TV is still not in warranty when you are done compared to the cost of a new unit I hope that I am wrong.......
My 55ef9500 suddenly went dead. A 'pop' sound. Opened the TV, dont see any obvious burned parts.
Not even the LG logo works anymore. TV is from June 2016.
Hans Bellen is offline  
post #24696 of 24739 Old 12-13-2019, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 5,916
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Bellen View Post
My 55ef9500 suddenly went dead. A cksu
Not even the LG logo works anymore. TV is from June 2016.

Well that sucks. I started this thread eons ago and have since given my EF9500 to my daughter. She has had no problems since.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator



 

Last edited by buzzard767; 12-13-2019 at 07:32 PM.
buzzard767 is offline  
post #24697 of 24739 Old 12-15-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 107
No problems here, bought June 2016, has 15,982 hrs on it. Yikes! 12+ hrs/day, think I got my money's worth even if it craps out tomorrow.
tcat is offline  
post #24698 of 24739 Old 12-15-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,522
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5021 Post(s)
Liked: 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
No problems here, bought June 2016, has 15,982 hrs on it. Yikes! 12+ hrs/day, think I got my money's worth even if it craps out tomorrow.
I remember reading somewhere that the expected life of these OLED TVs is 30,000 hours so you're only half way there.

lujan
640 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
post #24699 of 24739 Old 12-19-2019, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
jterp7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Was trying to watch some OTA and everything on live tv is just garbage although the sound comes through just fine. Is this a main board issue? Hopefully this isnt a symptom or precursor to a dying TV
jterp7 is offline  
post #24700 of 24739 Old 12-20-2019, 06:38 AM
Senior Member
 
danlshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Okolona, KY
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jterp7 View Post
Was trying to watch some OTA and everything on live tv is just garbage although the sound comes through just fine. Is this a main board issue? Hopefully this isnt a symptom or precursor to a dying TV
Please define "garbage."

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
danlshane is offline  
post #24701 of 24739 Old 12-20-2019, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
jterp7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Its like when you have a bad signal but this is on every single channel i can pick up, regardless or where i move the antenna
jterp7 is offline  
post #24702 of 24739 Old 12-23-2019, 07:33 AM
Senior Member
 
danlshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Okolona, KY
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jterp7 View Post
Its like when you have a bad signal but this is on every single channel i can pick up, regardless or where i move the antenna
Have your local stations recently undergone the FCC-demanded repack? You might need to run a new channel scan.

Is it only OTA that is affected? Is streaming and disc-watching okay?

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
danlshane is offline  
post #24703 of 24739 Old 12-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
jterp7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
Have your local stations recently undergone the FCC-demanded repack? You might need to run a new channel scan.

Is it only OTA that is affected? Is streaming and disc-watching okay?
Yea i also did a rescan and it was the same

Edit: ok wtf it works when i tried it right now
jterp7 is offline  
post #24704 of 24739 Old 12-23-2019, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
danlshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Okolona, KY
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jterp7 View Post
Yea i also did a rescan and it was the same
Well, one way to determine if your tuner is getting weak is to hook up an external OTA tuner such as an iView device and see what you get. Are you getting any picture at all, or is it a blank screen?

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
danlshane is offline  
post #24705 of 24739 Old 01-19-2020, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
jterp7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
Well, one way to determine if your tuner is getting weak is to hook up an external OTA tuner such as an iView device and see what you get. Are you getting any picture at all, or is it a blank screen?
Getting the garbage again. Its like pink and green lines
jterp7 is offline  
post #24706 of 24739 Old 01-20-2020, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Plano, TX USA
Posts: 3,905
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by jterp7 View Post
Was trying to watch some OTA and everything on live tv is just garbage although the sound comes through just fine. Is this a main board issue? Hopefully this isnt a symptom or precursor to a dying TV

Only if the "pink and green lines" are present on every input (not just OTA). Otherwise you could (only) have a failing tuner...which is also on the Main Board.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.05]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
Stanton is offline  
post #24707 of 24739 Old 01-31-2020, 10:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukather101 View Post
Could never watch HDR on this set without Dynamic Contrast on low. It's just to dim.
Well, only now, after years of ownership, I've got some noticeable burn-in in the bottom corners of the screen. I don't know if my wife accidentally left something on pause for a long time or what, but there it is. 'TLC' on the bottom right, 'Undisputed' in the upper left, and some sort of 'News' written in the bottom left. I'm not certain how long it's been there or how it got there, and I only see it with certain solid backgrounds, most notably against red.

The silver lining, I guess, is that I had all the excuse I needed to start shopping a new C9. Hell, an excuse to think about upsizing to a 77". The bad part, of course, being the crazy price tag. I mean, the C9, with it's near DOUBLE peak brightness, would be the DREAM. But man, that price tag.

Well, stab in the dark, I dropped a line to LG over Twitter, asking how much an out of warranty panel replacement would be, lamenting the burn-in on my beloved TV. They replied asking for serial, pics, etc. After sending them what I had, they replied they were going to replace my panel for FREE as a "one-time courtesy". LG's customer service all through my ownership of this TV has been simply outstanding. Under warranty they've replaced the panel twice (1st time due to excessive dirty screen and yellow tinting & again when the replacement wouldn't do 3D for some reason) and the motherboard once (in an attempt to solve the 3D issue), and now they're gonna do it out of warranty. I mean, come on, that's crazy good service.

The sad part is that they took away my excuse to get a C9 lol. I mean, I could sell my EF9500, but would I get more out of it in terms of cash than it's worth just keeping it? I doubt it. But my home isn't big enough to accommodate a 65" TV in a bedroom.

It's a pretty nice dilemma to be in, but a dilemma nonetheless
koomikko01 and video_analysis like this.
Mahler12x is offline  
post #24708 of 24739 Old 01-31-2020, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,894
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4439 Post(s)
Liked: 3878
Wow, replacing your EF9500 at almost 5 years out? That's unheard of.
video_analysis is offline  
post #24709 of 24739 Old 01-31-2020, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,729
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5713 Post(s)
Liked: 4089
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Wow, replacing your EF9500 at almost 5 years out? That's unheard of.
Maybe it's LG's way of thanking him for being a guinea pig for purchasing their first attempt at a 4K OLED tv. I paid a lot for my 65EF9500. $5999 before taxes.
Mahler12x likes this.
wxman is offline  
post #24710 of 24739 Old 01-31-2020, 10:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Maybe it's LG's way of thanking him for being a guinea pig for purchasing their first attempt at a 4K OLED tv. I paid a lot for my 65EF9500. $5999 before taxes.
Yeah, I don't know, it's pretty crazy. I really can't believe they're just throwing in a new panel but the technician comes Monday.
wxman likes this.
Mahler12x is offline  
post #24711 of 24739 Old 01-31-2020, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,729
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5713 Post(s)
Liked: 4089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahler12x View Post
Yeah, I don't know, it's pretty crazy. I really can't believe they're just throwing in a new panel but the technician comes Monday.
Will be interesting if the new panel will be significantly brighter as it will be a 7 or 8 series panel. Or if the internal boards and circuitry will limit the peak brightness to 540 nits that the 9500 has.
Stanton and Mahler12x like this.
wxman is offline  
post #24712 of 24739 Old 01-31-2020, 11:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Will be interesting if the new panel will be significantly brighter as it will be a 7 or 8 series panel. Or if the internal boards and circuitry will limit the peak brightness to 540 nits that the 9500 has.
Wait, it'll be a 7 or 8 series panel? Are you sure?
Mahler12x is offline  
post #24713 of 24739 Old 02-01-2020, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,894
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4439 Post(s)
Liked: 3878
It's highly unlikely they have spare EF9500 panels stashed away at this point. 2016 owners with burn-in have received 2017 (and probably 2018) panels as well. I hope you're prepared to lose the 3D function, it will assuredly be gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Maybe it's LG's way of thanking him for being a guinea pig for purchasing their first attempt at a 4K OLED tv. I paid a lot for my 65EF9500. $5999 before taxes.
I think that was technically the second, as 2014 saw the limited release of this monstrosity, which only went for $12k: LG EC9700

I can only hope LG will be as facilitating to me if my $17k 77" G6 shizzes the bed.
Mahler12x likes this.

Last edited by video_analysis; 02-01-2020 at 12:14 AM.
video_analysis is offline  
post #24714 of 24739 Old 02-01-2020, 12:23 AM
Member
 
sambrightman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Wow, replacing your EF9500 at almost 5 years out? That's unheard of.
Maybe it's LG's way of thanking him for being a guinea pig for purchasing their first attempt at a 4K OLED tv. I paid a lot for my 65EF9500. $5999 before taxes.
I remain astounded every time I hear such good stories. I assume you’re in the US? I eventually got mine back in the EU, total cost to myself close to £1000 - simple main board replacement. Totally unhelpful at every stage, in contravention of local consumer laws, even forced me to arrange and book the return shipping myself (although mostly dealing with the official repair agent). Still, sounds like great news for you!
sambrightman is offline  
post #24715 of 24739 Old 02-01-2020, 07:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
It's highly unlikely they have spare EF9500 panels stashed away at this point. 2016 owners with burn-in have received 2017 (and probably 2018) panels as well. I hope you're prepared to lose the 3D function, it will assuredly be gone.

I’ll be a little sad to lose it but we used it only on very rare occasions. It’s always been nice to know it’s there though. I’m ok losing it if it means a C8 panel or something with its added peak brightness? Any idea if this would be the result of a new panel? Or would the main board still hinder that?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mahler12x; 02-01-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Mahler12x is offline  
post #24716 of 24739 Old 02-01-2020, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dianabol5mg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Will be interesting if the new panel will be significantly brighter as it will be a 7 or 8 series panel. Or if the internal boards and circuitry will limit the peak brightness to 540 nits that the 9500 has.
I have a 2016 panel and it looks just as bright as my A1E. It might just be a bit brighter. I keep feeling the A1E just leaves me wanting a little more. My EF9500 hasn't made me ever feel that way.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
Dianabol5mg is offline  
post #24717 of 24739 Old 02-01-2020, 09:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post
I have a 2016 panel and it looks just as bright as my A1E. It might just be a bit brighter. I keep feeling the A1E just leaves me wanting a little more. My EF9500 hasn't made me ever feel that way.
So you had a 2016 panel put in your EF9500? Hey, if I get a C8 panel or something and it gets all that lovely peak brightness, I will be thrilled. If so I may just shelf my getting a C9 for now and see how it goes.

On that note, where do you all suggest one goes to get calibration services? Are the guys you book through Best Buy reliably good at it? Is ~$200 about what it costs?
Mahler12x is offline  
post #24718 of 24739 Old 02-02-2020, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,729
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5713 Post(s)
Liked: 4089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahler12x View Post
So you had a 2016 panel put in your EF9500? Hey, if I get a C8 panel or something and it gets all that lovely peak brightness, I will be thrilled. If so I may just shelf my getting a C9 for now and see how it goes.

On that note, where do you all suggest one goes to get calibration services? Are the guys you book through Best Buy reliably good at it? Is ~$200 about what it costs?
IMO, BB is not very good with calibrations. The employees that do it are under time restrictions and they have 2 hours from the time they get there until the time they leave. That includes setting up, etc. So that leaves about 90 minutes to get it done. No way will they be able to do a thorough 20 point calibration in 90 minutes on an OLED tv. At best a 2 point calibration, and then setting brightness, contrast, etc, in a fairly bright room. So the brightness will likely be off, as that should be done in a dark room. Years ago I had BB do my Pioneer Plasma tv that I bought from them. Luckily it cost me nothing, but after they were done, I hired a pro and saw just how bad their calibration was. Maybe they are better now, but BB is about making money and they are not going to have a calibrator spend half their day at your place calibrating your tv.
wxman is offline  
post #24719 of 24739 Old 02-02-2020, 12:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
IMO, BB is not very good with calibrations. The employees that do it are under time restrictions and they have 2 hours from the time they get there until the time they leave. That includes setting up, etc. So that leaves about 90 minutes to get it done. No way will they be able to do a thorough 20 point calibration in 90 minutes on an OLED tv. At best a 2 point calibration, and then setting brightness, contrast, etc, in a fairly bright room. So the brightness will likely be off, as that should be done in a dark room. Years ago I had BB do my Pioneer Plasma tv that I bought from them. Luckily it cost me nothing, but after they were done, I hired a pro and saw just how bad their calibration was. Maybe they are better now, but BB is about making money and they are not going to have a calibrator spend half their day at your place calibrating your tv.


Thanks so much for the feedback. I’ve never gotten a calibration before. If not Best Buy’s contractors, is there a go-to resource for finding a good one locally you’d recommend?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mahler12x is offline  
post #24720 of 24739 Old 02-02-2020, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,729
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5713 Post(s)
Liked: 4089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahler12x View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback. I’ve never gotten a calibration before. If not Best Buy’s contractors, is there a go-to resource for finding a good one locally you’d recommend?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can try here

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...post-here.html
Mahler12x likes this.
wxman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
robert macintyre 855-400-4640

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off