1Likes
  • 1 Post By sambrightman

post #1 of 5 Old 09-21-2015, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
LG 55EF950V optical out

As I mentioned in the owner's thread (40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2132034-lg-55ef9500-65ef9500-oled-owners-thread-31.html#post37456618), I was pleased to find that the optical out on 2015 LG OLEDs supports 5.1. I had this working the day the set arrived. Now the sound is marked "Disabled" and there is no sound over optical out from internal apps. Does anyone else use the optical out successfully? Does anyone know of a webOS option to disable sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-21-2015, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a 920V and it allowed me to choose the audio output from a little menu on the right hand side. I think you need to depress the button on the remote to pull up the pointer, then choose the icon on the bottom right that looks like a speaker. It has a list of audio outputs e.g. Tv speaker + optical, optical only etc etc. Maybe see what that is set to?
post #3 of 5 Old 09-21-2015, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob1971 View Post
I have a 920V and it allowed me to choose the audio output from a little menu on the right hand side. I think you need to depress the button on the remote to pull up the pointer, then choose the icon on the bottom right that looks like a speaker. It has a list of audio outputs e.g. TV speaker + optical, optical only etc etc. Maybe see what that is set to?
Yes, I have chosen optical out and it was working initially but appears to have stopped.

Despite the output being selected, Sound setting on the quick config menu (under Picture) is saying "Disabled". It normally has choices for style like "Standard" and "Cinema". Setting it back to Internal TV Speaker or both restores the Sound menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-21-2015, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Damn. I hoped you'd have a simple fix. You haven't got headphones connected by any chance?.....

So, the 950 output 5.1 optically? The 920v only seems to do stereo as far as I can tell.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-21-2015, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, definitely getting 5.1 optically. I've also found the problem: Disabled is the correct Sound profile when Internal TV Speaker is disabled, so that was a red herring. The receiver (Onkyo SR-707) was saying No Signal because there was no HDMI input on that source, which was also a red herring. The digital audio input configuration on the receiver was set to the correct optical input. However, the Onkyo manual says this about digital audio input setup:

Quote:
Press the [ENTER] button when you do not use the signal of audio from the HDMI IN. The “*” mark is displayed like “COAX1*”.
I pressed enter and the sound came on. I'm not sure how it got disabled, maybe an accidental press whilst looking over settings. Not even sure how it got enabled in the first place (perhaps it is the default when assigning an optical input to an HDMI source).
pcross likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
digital , oled , optical , sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page