LG: OLED computer monitors and laptop displays inbound! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #31 of 52 Old 01-05-2016, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Every single Samsung S tablet I've ever seen in a store has massive burn-in of notification bar.
Because every single OLED in a store is left on nearly 24/7. That's so far from "typical use" for a mobile device as to be laughable.
Magnesus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 01-05-2016, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Wonder if this will have aggressive ABL like the OLED TVs.
AMOLED never had ABL as far as I know. Top brightness is probably lower than on a TV though.

Quote:
Every single Samsung S tablet I've ever seen in a store has massive burn-in of notification bar. I would not touch this with a ten foot pole until it's proven they have solved the issue. The fact that he mentions it auto-hides the task bar in the video, makes me think not. No doubt there is disclaimer in the warranty stating that burn-in is not covered (just like on TVs).
I have yet to see any burn-in on my Note 4 phone. I sometimes leave it with the screen on for more than 10 hours displaying almost the same content (for example while reading a book - with interface elements visible). Although I keep the brightness quite low, while stores tend to set it close to 100%, which might affect the burn-ins. Anyway, burn-ins seem to be more rare on AMOLED than LG OLED nowadays. Hard to tell if they are permament though or go out with time like on LG OLED.
post #33 of 52 Old 01-05-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
It's hard to believe you are running the display 10 hours with it dimming or shutting off. Are you thwarting all power-saving mechanisms?

And, yes, running at minimal brightness would make a massive difference.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 01-05-2016, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
AMOLED never had ABL as far as I know. Top brightness is probably lower than on a TV though.
AMOLED does in fact use ABL. And brightness is higher than LG OLED TVs.

Galaxy S6:
348 cd/m2 @ 100% Full Screen White
432 cd/m2 @ 1% Full Screen White
max. 784 cd/m2 @ 1% Full Screen White with Auto Brightness turned on

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S6_ShootOut_1.htm
Magnesus likes this.
post #35 of 52 Old 01-06-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Dell with 30" OLED monitor for $4999:

Quote:
If you work with video, develop games or require accurate colors for your production workflow, Dell's UltraSharp 30 OLED Monitor will sound like a dream. The 30-inch Ultra HD 4K resolution display comes with drool-worthy specifications, including the use of an OLED panel for true, deep blacks, super fast 0.1ms response time and 100% coverage of the AdobeRGB color space. If that's not enough to make you salivate, design-conscious users will appreciate the narrow bezel design, which helps to reduce space on your desktop. If you're still tight on desktop space, there is an optional monitor arm, which replaces the monitor stand to free up space on your desk.
The monitor is one of the first to come with support for the USB-C connection, delivering power, video and data on a single cable for machines like Apple's MacBook. There's a lot to love about the UltraSharp 30 OLED Monitor, except one thing: the $4,999 ( £3,390, AU$6,870) price. The UltraSharp 30 OLED will ship at the end of March.
http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...-color-1311962
post #36 of 52 Old 01-06-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMA View Post
Dell with 30" OLED monitor for $4999:
http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...-color-1311962
Even more exciting than that, it does 4K 120Hz!
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...1311504/review
Magnesus likes this.
post #37 of 52 Old 01-09-2016, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 515
The normal caveats about Google translation apply but this article explains that Samsung is using a new pixel drive design and compensation circuit in their laptop displays.

http://www.etnews.com/20160106000415?koost=hotnews

Quote:
Industry, one official said, ""Samsung Display is independently developed by the new pixel drive design and is applying a compensation circuit such as pixel I solved the degradation problem,
post #38 of 52 Old 01-09-2016, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
The note 4 has only been out for a few months.... I sure hope you wouldn't see burn-in quite yet. Unless you have the display on all the time (24/7).
Why would age matter? Are you saying old OLEDs are more likely to burn-in? Do you have your computer screen on 24/7? My phone has more screen on time than my computer screen and is usually displaying very static content (books, applications, remote buttons, not games or movies, browser with static bar on the top). Unless by burn-in you mean reduction of brightness of the whole screen caused by wear of the OLEDs?
And I have the Note 4 (Note 4, not 5) for more than a year now.

Last edited by Magnesus; 01-09-2016 at 11:24 AM.
post #39 of 52 Old 01-09-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
Why would age matter? Are you saying old OLEDs are more likely to burn-in? Do you have your computer screen on 24/7? My phone has more screen on time than my computer screen and is usually displaying very static content (books, applications, remote buttons, not games or movies, browser with static bar on the top). Unless by burn-in you mean reduction of brightness of the whole screen caused by wear of the OLEDs?
And I have the Note 4 (Note 4, not 5) for more than a year now.
Either you are exaggerating or some kind of anomaly. I know of no one who spends 8+ hours a day starring at a tiny mobile display.

Business laptops (such as this Lenovo with OLED) on the other hand regularly get that much use because they are used for work, not entertainment. People who work on their computer leave static elements on the display all day long and any kind of screen-saver, pixel orbitter, etc. will not help. Either all these manufacturers are nuts or Samsung has somehow solved the lifetime issue to make them viable for computer use. Time will tell. I would be very careful reading the fine-print on the warranty.

Interesting that the 30" Dell mentions pixel shifting as some kind of solution to burn-in. That was never effective on plasma and just caused a blurred burn-in image.
post #40 of 52 Old 01-11-2016, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Either you are exaggerating or some kind of anomaly. I know of no one who spends 8+ hours a day starring at a tiny mobile display.

Business laptops (such as this Lenovo with OLED) on the other hand regularly get that much use because they are used for work, not entertainment. People who work on their computer leave static elements on the display all day long and any kind of screen-saver, pixel orbitter, etc. will not help. Either all these manufacturers are nuts or Samsung has somehow solved the lifetime issue to make them viable for computer use. Time will tell. I would be very careful reading the fine-print on the warranty.

Interesting that the 30" Dell mentions pixel shifting as some kind of solution to burn-in. That was never effective on plasma and just caused a blurred burn-in image.
Right; I'm a bit baffled by his reply. Either he has an agenda or he needs more information on how OLED works and it's current state of being.

My PC monitors are on nearly 12 hours a day non-stop; sometimes with the same window(s) that don't move if I'm coding. The same will apply to a lot of people just using different apps.

Eventually (years from now) the lifetime of the OLED emitters will be high enough where it'll be difficult to cause uneven wear; but not impossible still.

And yes, exactly, those burn-in solutions are nearly worthless. I mean the DELL monitor has a presence detector and auto shuts off the monitor when you are not there. And ya pixel-shifting is basically worthless as it just spreads out the burn into a blurrier after image.

I don't have the time/patience to argue/educate; I'm just going to let this one go... Thanks for jumping in too!

p.s.

Just about all of the Samsung OLEDs phones that are heavily used have burn-in from the clock/basic menus after 2 years of use. Tons of photos of them online... People just don't go looking for it or care as most in the US think cell phones are disposable anyway. It'll be far more obvious on a PC monitor/TV with a much larger screen.

Last edited by SiGGy; 01-11-2016 at 08:49 AM.
post #41 of 52 Old 01-11-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 312
As far as I know from reading, you're right, SiGGy. Burn in is endemic on these phones.

And, in answer to an earlier poster, age... or cumulative hours... does matter with regard to burn in.
post #42 of 52 Old 01-11-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
My PC monitors are on nearly 12 hours a day non-stop; sometimes with the same window(s) that don't move if I'm coding. The same will apply to a lot of people just using different apps..
So you never get up to go to the bathroom? Nor do you get up to get food?

I imagine it's these sorts of thing is why the presence detector is a thing - why does the monitor need to be on when nobody is even there to look at it?
post #43 of 52 Old 01-11-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
So you never get up to go to the bathroom? Nor do you get up to get food?

I imagine it's these sorts of thing is why the presence detector is a thing - why does the monitor need to be on when nobody is even there to look at it?
Yes that sorta makes more sense? Of course; it's a small part of the day. 30-60m maybe; tops. But it might add up to a small savings in electricity.

How is this better/different than my screen saver which activates with 10 minutes of inactivity? And at that point the screens go on standby to power saving mode...

so.... I guess this is useful to have where a monitor is used but no screen saver is? Or perhaps not on a computer but used for viewing when someone is present?

Last edited by SiGGy; 01-11-2016 at 12:58 PM.
post #44 of 52 Old 01-12-2016, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How is this better/different than my screen saver which activates with 10 minutes of inactivity?
Because I would imagine that most of us are not fans of dumps that take 10 minutes and greatly prefer the ones where even the first wipe looks clean.

In other words, a lot of bathroom breaks only take a minute or so, and even just a minute of having the screen off should help quite a bit compared to not being turned off at all.
post #45 of 52 Old 01-12-2016, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Tmi
post #46 of 52 Old 01-13-2016, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Tmi
Right. On top of that its a rediculous response. Or perhaps he poops a lot every day or has never setup a screen saver/blanker; the time could be set as low as 60 seconds... No age restrictions on these forums... I'm out.

Last edited by SiGGy; 01-13-2016 at 06:23 AM.
post #47 of 52 Old 01-13-2016, 11:09 AM

If the lifespan on the display was not a concern, it wouldn't shut itself off when no one was there. Period.

This should be blatantly obvious.
SiGGy likes this.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #48 of 52 Old 01-13-2016, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Eventually (years from now) the lifetime of the OLED emitters will be high enough where it'll be difficult to cause uneven wear; but not impossible still.
As far as I know, every technology back to the CRT has uneven wear. The different colors are produced by different chemicals and they just don't age exactly the same. That's why if you're into the whole calibration thing your display should be recalibrated yearly. Of course, folks with their own equipment do it more frequently.

I'd expect the lifetime of blue to get better, but I'd never expect wear to become entirely even.
post #49 of 52 Old 01-13-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi View Post
As far as I know, every technology back to the CRT has uneven wear. The different colors are produced by different chemicals and they just don't age exactly the same. That's why if you're into the whole calibration thing your display should be recalibrated yearly. Of course, folks with their own equipment do it more frequently.

I'd expect the lifetime of blue to get better, but I'd never expect wear to become entirely even.
Actually it was VERY difficult to cause uneven wear on the last few generations of CRT monitors. I had one monitor I had for 6+ years used daily; and it never had any uneven wear. And this was back in the Windows 95/98 start menu days

Ya, wear between emitters will never be totally even.

If they can hit 300,000 hours or better with all of the emitters the same level of deviation that exists today will take a lot longer and be less dramatic.

Lets not forget the manufacturers realize the TVs drift and have the sets auto adjust as they age. I remember David K's post showing Plasma's readings over time: white balance, luminance and black level. You could see at what hours the TV(s) would add in corrections. So arguably if you calibrated right before one of the TV(s) scheduled internal adjustments you could actually be out of calibration quickly too when it applies them Im hoping new tech found a way to apply the changes continuously not at specific time intervals.

Last edited by SiGGy; 01-13-2016 at 12:18 PM.
post #50 of 52 Old 01-13-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
If the lifespan on the display was not a concern, it wouldn't shut itself off when no one was there. Period.

This should be blatantly obvious.
I'm assuming you're referring purely to the desktop OLED monitor, because it makes perfect sense for a laptop in order to reduce power consumption.
Magnesus likes this.
post #51 of 52 Old 01-13-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
I'm assuming you're referring purely to the desktop OLED monitor, because it makes perfect sense for a laptop in order to reduce power consumption.
Yes, of course.

Obviously when a laptop is running on battery power matters and that's why they are so aggressive about screen dimming (as are our phones and tablets).

On a desktop monitor, you wouldn't obsess about dimming the screen for 1-10 minute breaks unless you were worried about the screen. And I say that as someone who focused on keeping my power footprint as low as possible.

post #52 of 52 Old 01-15-2016, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Hey, if you (or your company) can afford to buy a $5000 monitor, you (or your company) can afford to buy another one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page