Originally Posted by redmeister
Anyone else deciding between the Microcenter $3500 deal for a 65EF9500 versus waiting for a 65B6 to eventually come down in price? Seems like consensus is the B6 would possibly sell for around $4000 by the holidays. That's still a $500 difference, or a gamble if prices swing either direction more than we're expecting 8 months from now.
Planning on keeping this TV for 5 years so want to be able to take full advantage of any future mainstream HDR content. EF can obviously do that, but will the B6's HDR10 and DolbyVision support be that much more important? Don't really care about 3D. Hard to say no to the EF deal, but don't want to kick myself for not being able to take full advantage of HDR content in whatever flavor content companies decide to use.
IMHO, the sweet spot for advanced viewing will be the 2016 models and should easily keep you top notch for a minimum, a bare minimum, of five years. Wholesale changes in quality after the 2016 models will be modest at best. However, if you wait, you could very well see the EF topple another few hundred bucks making it an unbelievable deal by the end of this year.
Jaw dropping is jaw dropping, it's all about the picture quality and I am really waiting for the 65C6, I want 3D, to hit the stores and wait to see how much it drops in street price by late fall, early winter. If the EF's, EG's get to the "let's get rid of 'em" level and drop very near the $3K level then I would have no choice but to seriously consider either of those bad boys. For me, if the difference is over a grand, then I have to make an adult decision and stay away from emotions. But, we have to be patient to see how these prices play out and make sure we compare apples to apples. It looks like the MSRP prices for the B6 and C6 will be near to the same as last year's models which means the EF and EG prices may not fall much below where they are now.
However, I recently saw the 55" 1080P OLED at 35% below MSRP with free shipping. I presume that's still a profitable price so it is possible we'll see the 65 EF or EG drop to $3250 when the 2016 models drop in street price. It all depends on the B6 and C6 MSRP. If they go with $5,999 the street price will probably be $4,999 or below. If they start out with a MSRP of $4,999 then it gets interesting. Will street prices be $3,999? If so, then the EF's and EG's would have to drop in price significantly maybe getting close to the $3K mark.
We'll should know in a few weeks. I think it's probably worth waiting to see how this plays out before you pull the trigger, if you're waiting to see what gives you the best bang for your buck.