2016 LG OLEDs - G6, E6, C6, and B6 - Page 150 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41378Likes

post #4471 of 12460 Old 05-10-2016, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
just talked with abt electronics so it looks like their shipment of the 65' e6 will be in on Friday and mine should ship that day depending on when the truck arrives..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 12460 Old 05-10-2016, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
Oh I don't know if it will, just hoping I guess

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Yeah that'd sure be nice, but I doubt the 55B6 street price will be a penny less than the highest end flat 55" LCDs, which are generally in the low 2k's. So perhaps a hair below 3k is the best we can hope for.
post #4473 of 12460 Old 05-10-2016, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
Yeah that'd sure be nice, but I doubt the 55B6 street price will be a penny less than the highest end flat 55" LCDs, which are generally in the low 2k's. So perhaps a hair below 3k is the best we can hope for.
That's too bad. I was really hoping to finally see a 55 inch OLED launch around $1,500, or at least 2K and by the holidays be around maybe for 1500 even if only for a sale. Hell they pretty much launched the 9100 at 2K last year so it really gave me hope that this year a 55 would be less. LG really needs to start working towards that if OLED is to survive and become mainstream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4474 of 12460 Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post
That's too bad. I was really hoping to finally see a 55 inch OLED launch around $1,500, or at least 2K and by the holidays be around maybe for 1500 even if only for a sale. Hell they pretty much launched the 9100 at 2K last year so it really gave me hope that this year a 55 would be less. LG really needs to start working towards that if OLED is to survive and become mainstream
Depending on LG's OLED panel yields, I would not be surprised if LG is not only not making any profits on its OLED TVs at this point, but might actually be losing money on each set sold. In the short term this is probably sustainable for LG providing the losses are not too steep in order to build some market share but, if this is the case, LG can probably not afford to to erode the price too fast until yields rise and unit costs decrease.
post #4475 of 12460 Old 05-10-2016, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 688
I'm sure that is all true, but I also feel like making all of their OLED's this year 4K with HDR is also kind of the problem. I mean each year their entry model has got a little cheaper (I'm pretty sure anyways) and last year they really hit a new level with the 9100. It just seems strange that now they are going backwards and the entry level model price went back up. I think they let go of 1080p a little too early, maybe next year would have been better. Or maybe they could made an "A6" model that was 4K without HDR or 3D because I feel like the addition of HDR is what is mainly driving the entry level price up. A 55 inch A6 like that probably could have been sold for 2K. I am definitely curious and excited about HDR but I could totally live with a 4K OLED that isn't HDR capable. 3D I couldn't possibly care any less about.

I suppose I can always get the 9100, though I would like to upgrade to OLED a d 4K at the same time whenever I do, plus it's curved but I might be able to live with that from what I have seen in stores of it I could hardly tell it was curved standing in front of it.
post #4476 of 12460 Old 05-10-2016, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos215bar2 View Post
The 3D source material is encoded for 3D. There are a number of different ways to do so, but the net result is the same: two different images are encoded per frame of video. This has nothing to do with active vs. passive displays or polarization.

Active vs. passive are just high-level categories of display techniques (referring to whether the glasses themselves house any control circuitry), and there are several ways to implement each. Passive 3D generally uses two images with different polarization and glasses with matching filters for each eye. Anaglyph is another example of a passive 3D technology — red/blue glasses being the most well known, though the new laser IMAX projectors also use a much more sophisticated form of anaglyph 3D. Regardless of the 3D technology used, it's normally up to the display device to process the incoming signal and get each left and right frame wherever it needs to be, including any scaling, interpolation, smoothing, etc. needed to make things look good.

LG TVs specifically use alternating lines with opposite polarization for 3D, and will process the incoming signal, sending left and right frames to appropriate lines and performing any necessary smoothing (since, with the glasses on, eye's image is now missing alternating lines). My point was, knowing this layout and assuming the B6 still includes the polarizing filter, it would theoretically be possible to offload the TV's usual processing to an external source. (You would also, of course, have to disable any image processing on the TV that isn't local to each individual pixel, e.g. motion smoothing.)

Swapping motherboards will probably be the way to go if turning 3d on in the service menu is not available.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
post #4477 of 12460 Old 05-10-2016, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1948 View Post
Depending on LG's OLED panel yields, I would not be surprised if LG is not only not making any profits on its OLED TVs at this point, but might actually be losing money on each set sold. In the short term this is probably sustainable for LG providing the losses are not too steep in order to build some market share but, if this is the case, LG can probably not afford to to erode the price too fast until yields rise and unit costs decrease.
LG announced a few weeks ago that this is the first year they made a profit with OLED tv's. This is faster than most predicted. Still, they have a long way to go to break even with their investment in OLED.
vaktmestern and John1948 like this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #4478 of 12460 Old 05-10-2016, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
last year they really hit a new level with the 9100
It was my impression the 9100 used the exact same panel as the 9300 but had updated panel & smart TV electronics and functionality.

Therefore it's no surprise that the 9100 was as cheap as it was - it's practically a 2-year old product.

Last edited by NintendoManiac64; 05-10-2016 at 09:55 PM.
post #4479 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:
I'm sure that is all true, but I also feel like making all of their OLED's this year 4K with HDR is also kind of the problem. I mean each year their entry model has got a little cheaper (I'm pretty sure anyways) and last year they really hit a new level with the 9100. It just seems strange that now they are going backwards and the entry level model price went back up. I think they let go of 1080p a little too early, maybe next year would have been better. Or maybe they could made an "A6" model that was 4K without HDR or 3D because I feel like the addition of HDR is what is mainly driving the entry level price up. A 55 inch A6 like that probably could have been sold for 2K. I am definitely curious and excited about HDR but I could totally live with a 4K OLED that isn't HDR capable. 3D I couldn't possibly care any less about.
I would humbly suggest not knocking 3D until you see it especially on a 4K OLED. And stay away from the gimmicky flicks (Avatar included...I can't watch that nonsense again and regret ever purchasing it; even its 3D presentation is getting a bit long in the tooth compared to more recent films). I mean films where it's an integral part of a movie and doesn't offend one's critical sensibilities (Avatar only wins the former reward as far as I'm concerned); films like Hugo, Life of Pi, Guardians of the Galaxy, Immortals, etc. are reference 3D movies that double as enjoyable adventures.
Magnesus likes this.
post #4480 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Life of Pi is amazing in 3D - the storm on the sea or the lights in the water, amazing.
video_analysis likes this.
post #4481 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I would humbly suggest not knocking 3D until you see it especially on a 4K OLED. And stay away from the gimmicky flicks (Avatar included...I can't watch that nonsense again and regret ever purchasing it; even its 3D presentation is getting a bit long in the tooth compared to more recent films). I mean films where it's an integral part of a movie and doesn't offend one's critical sensibilities (Avatar only wins the former reward as far as I'm concerned); films like Hugo, Life of Pi, Guardians of the Galaxy, Immortals, etc. are reference 3D movies that double as enjoyable adventures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
Life of Pi is amazing in 3D - the storm on the sea or the lights in the water, amazing.
Interesting. This is honestly the first time I've ever read or heard anything positive about 3D, never having experienced it myself. It'd be best for my wallet if I continued ignoring it though.
post #4482 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 06:19 AM

Question E6 Software Update Today

The software on my 55" E6 in the US just auto-updated.

Anyone have any information on what is being updated/changed?

Last edited by John1948; 05-11-2016 at 07:40 AM.
post #4483 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
Which is built on LG's OLED panel from last year...and wasn't released in the U.S. So...no LG OLED TV equals no Panasonic TV.
You just said panny had no funds to do anything with oled but they have a set out already. Rebadged or not, us release or not, doesn't make a difference. They have invested. Go head and talk your way out of that one. I'll get the popcorn ready.
post #4484 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post
You just said panny had no funds to do anything with oled but they have a set out already. Rebadged or not, us release or not, doesn't make a difference. They have invested. Go head and talk your way out of that one. I'll get the popcorn ready.
These posts are either not English, or babble. I'm just not sure which....
post #4485 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hello!

Finally bit and purchased the E6 at Best Buy. A lot to dig into with the unit...but so far it is fantastic.
post #4486 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
These posts are either not English, or babble. I'm just not sure which....
I appreciate your generous and knowledgeable input on the subject matter.
post #4487 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm007 View Post
Why did you wait 3 weeks?

If that happened to me twice in one I would have been on the phone to someone.
I didn't wait. The problem just started two nights ago. I immediately called LG. Still waiting on them to set up a time to come diagnose it.

I also did try unplugging for some time then re-plugging in. Didn't help. As of last night the red light on the front won't even turn on. Ugh.
post #4488 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiehunter View Post
I didn't wait. The problem just started two nights ago. I immediately called LG. Still waiting on them to set up a time to come diagnose it.

I also did try unplugging for some time then re-plugging in. Didn't help. As of last night the red light on the front won't even turn on. Ugh.
Got it.

The original post looked like it was happening for the last three weeks.

I know Chris has hammered into everyone's head to get back to him ASAP if we see anything wrong.

Cool hope LG comes to the rescue.
post #4489 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I am a bit of a novice when it comes to specific OLED technology, etc, but I can say this: LG has invested 100's of millions of $ to setup fab units and get an production/assembly line going vs. Panny spending 10's of millions to rebadge LG's panel. So, yes, Panny has barely invested anything consequential to get into this business. If LG stops selling panels to Panny, that's it, game over for Panny. I wouldn't call this an investment, but more of a "let's throw some chump change at it and see if there is any potential".
post #4490 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
In what way does releasing an OLED set based primarily on LG's technology in small quantities and select markets demonstrate a commitment to or investment in OLED technology? I could just as well buy an LG TV, design a custom enclosure, and sell that as my own. LG's authorization aside, the couple thousand dollars that might cost me is in no way an investment in OLED technology. Panasonic might be testing the waters and planning to put more money into OLED development if they like what they see, but it's far too early to draw any conclusions without some inside insight into their business plan.

Regardless, Franchot's point stands. Panasonic would not have the OLED TV they've released without LG's commitment to the technology.
TimWelborn, yadmonkey and Foram like this.
post #4491 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6390 Post(s)
Liked: 6389
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
LG announced a few weeks ago that this is the first year they made a profit with OLED tv's. This is faster than most predicted. Still, they have a long way to go to break even with their investment in OLED.
That is great. I do not know about all these companies claiming loses though and yet they stay in business.....
TimHuey and NSCTripleAgent like this.
post #4492 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That is great. I do not know about all these companies claiming loses though and yet they stay in business.....
In financial circles they call it "accounting"...
rossi46 and NSCTripleAgent like this.

Al
post #4493 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Just got my 55 e6 first thing I noticed no dark edges and vignetting yes!! Screen uniformity looks Miles better than my EF I can't wait to dig in this TV so far so good
post #4494 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I agree, 3D is great on these OLED's, much, much better than my first experience a couple of years back on a passive 1080p LCD

Watched lately Ant-Man in 3D, funny movie and the scenes where Ant-Man runs with, well, the ants, is done very well in 3D.
post #4495 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos215bar2 View Post
In what way does releasing an OLED set based primarily on LG's technology in small quantities and select markets demonstrate a commitment to or investment in OLED technology? I could just as well buy an LG TV, design a custom enclosure, and sell that as my own. LG's authorization aside, the couple thousand dollars that might cost me is in no way an investment in OLED technology. Panasonic might be testing the waters and planning to put more money into OLED development if they like what they see, but it's far too early to draw any conclusions without some inside insight into their business plan.

Regardless, Franchot's point stands. Panasonic would not have the OLED TV they've released without LG's commitment to the technology.
Was merely stating that panny being too cash strapped to produce oled is utterly false. No more no less. Will not deny the fact that lg is solely responsible for nearly anything oled, but that doesn't discount the fact that if we had a choice, we would have liked to see a more reputable TV manufacturer rollout this tech.

That is all
post #4496 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
The software on my 55" E6 in the US just auto-updated.

Anyone have any information on what is being updated/changed?
I would like to know also.
post #4497 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Was merely stating that panny being too cash strapped to produce oled is utterly false. No more no less. Will not deny the fact that lg is solely responsible for nearly anything oled, but that doesn't discount the fact that if we had a choice, we would have liked to see a more reputable TV manufacturer rollout this tech.

That is all

There's a huge difference between manufacturing OLED panels and building TVs with someone else's panels. One involves a lot of monetary investment and the other one doesn't. That's the point being made about Panasonic.
TimWelborn likes this.
post #4498 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6390 Post(s)
Liked: 6389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
In financial circles they call it "accounting"...
Correct, but who know's what they consider a write off as a company expense.... we could go on and on
Al Sherwood likes this.
post #4499 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

They could be making it up in other business divisions or have a plan to become cash flow positive in the future.
post #4500 of 12460 Old 05-11-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwong View Post
They could be making it up in other business divisions or have a plan to become cash flow positive in the future.
Go Tesla (and maybe Panasonic to a lesser extent)! Sorry, OT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
ez-adj , lg oled , lgoled , reset , white balance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page