2016 LG OLEDs - G6, E6, C6, and B6 - Page 236 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41388Likes

post #7051 of 12467 Old 09-11-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked: 3822
I haven't been keeping up too much with 4k/OLED sets...I've been using my calibrated Panasonic VT30 for a few years and been happy...but with HDR, Dolby Vision etc things are looking really impressive and I'm investigating buying an OLED (at least 55")...so is LG the best in terms of current OLED screens?...so all the different models (B, C, G etc) have the same picture quality with the only difference being built in speakers and 3D?...what about the G Signature series?...does Samsung, Sony, Panasonic make good OLED sets or is LG the current king?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7052 of 12467 Old 09-11-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
I don't think we as in former oled owners would say that directly, a few of the others still own oled alongside their z series. I loved my g6, color fidelity, off axis viewing, deep black, etc... The issue of motion will go back and forth quite a bit and I feel that as with many things, results vary by the person viewing the test. It could be content, could be the blu ray player, could be the tv. i was lucky with my g6, I was sad to sell it, and even though I know I can purchase an e6 or c6 cheaper than the z, I had great pause because I think of how many replacements I went through with oled before I felt content enough with the g6. I could save myself $1000 by going back to oled, but even still looking through these threads I still see on models banding, slight edge vignetting, and many of the other things that caused me to go through 6 ef9500. My local lg tech wasn't even allowed to service my tvs anymore because his boss was trying to say I was making fraudulent claims against some of those earlier issues. But some folks have a hard time putting faith in a product that can't be produced consistently with the same results. If I could get the exact same g6 I had for the price of what I paid for the z it would be a no brainer, oled all the way. As I said, I enjoyed my oled immensely, but especially purchasing from Best Buy they can't guarantee problem free tvs without you first taking delivery and then going through exchange processing which if I have to repackage another tv this year I'm bound to go crazy!
Long and short, despite seeming skewed, I think even in the z thread, people that have or have had oleds did or do still enjoy oleds in their own way
You were one of the more objective among those making comparisons but another was comparing the Z to a 9500, which would certainly not apply to those considering buying this year. There were photos of less than uniform Z9s as well to be fair, which I think is true of any mass manufactured product. I can't claim my G6 is perfectly uniform...I don't think you can find one as of yet, though some are closer to perfect than others. Saving money is great...I actually wish I was in your shoes due to a downturn in my own work (selling the G6 for anywhere close to what I paid would be a hard sell in what amounts to a rural area). I want a TV that can get me through 5 years until the larger screens can be had for a similar price. With the extended warranty, I think I finally managed to achieve that.

Last edited by video_analysis; 09-11-2016 at 04:11 PM.
post #7053 of 12467 Old 09-11-2016, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7280 Post(s)
Liked: 8052
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioduck View Post
I haven't read a single post where anyone said or even insinuated judder was an OLED only issue. You guys have to stop exaggerating and putting words in peoples mouths to argue with. These strange tactics only make you look dishonest.

Fact is LG OLEDs have judder to the side of awful.
The only 'strange tactics' and 'exaggerations' are yours and your obsession with dumping on OLED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7054 of 12467 Old 09-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6420 Post(s)
Liked: 6408
Quote:

Fact is LG OLEDs have judder to the side of awful.
The only issue is some people are more prone to see judder and motion blur. To some they would agree, to another person they would say they do not see it. To each there own.
hughh, Steff3 and Gillietalls like this.
post #7055 of 12467 Old 09-11-2016, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
The concerning thing is the perspective in that Z9 thread is so eschewed. Two or three former OLED owners there would have you believe these TVs belong in a dumpster fire.

Many of the owners on the Z9 thread are idiots and zealots. I got banned from that thread because a guy reported me by taking a quote from months ago that I made and said that I had posted that in the owners thread! LOL Instant ban and the quote was from a shoot out thread from months ago and had nothing to do with the owners thread. He actually went through my post history just to find something he could use to get me banned.

I think a few of the "owners" on the z9 thread are either getting paid by Sony, or work for Sony.

The whole motion thing is so beyond ridiculous. i have set up my OLED head to head against my Samsung JS9500 and the OLED has superior motion. The Judder like Ken is saying is about the same on both.

NOW HERE IS THE THING. OLED because of it's instant pixel response may lead to the APPEARANCE of worse judder because it's not blurring/smearing the judder like LCD's do. Basically the LCD's can sometimes appear less juddery because they are in fact masking some of the judder with motion blur. If you look closely however you will see the exact same amount of judder!

I've found settings on the OLED that create a great almost judder free experience, and I just don't understand this OLED is unwatchable judder monster comments that keep popping up.

My panny plasma judders worse then my OLED or LCD but I don't ever remember this kind of crazziness when many owned a plasma.

I recommend not bothering with the owners thread, and who cares what a few ****s think.
post #7056 of 12467 Old 09-11-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I haven't been keeping up too much with 4k/OLED sets...I've been using my calibrated Panasonic VT30 for a few years and been happy...but with HDR, Dolby Vision etc things are looking really impressive and I'm investigating buying an OLED (at least 55")...so is LG the best in terms of current OLED screens?...so all the different models (B, C, G etc) have the same picture quality with the only difference being built in speakers and 3D?...what about the G Signature series?...does Samsung, Sony, Panasonic make good OLED sets or is LG the current king?
Lg is the only current producer of oled panels. If another company produces an oled tv, chances are the panel itself was produced by lg. With last years panels Panasonic made a very solid tv, better than what lg was using the panel for. I think at the current electronics show in Germany Panasonic is set to release another oled next year. But yes, currently lg is king
post #7057 of 12467 Old 09-11-2016, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
The only issue is some people are more prone to see judder and motion blur. To some they would agree, to another person they would say they do not see it. To each there own.
Its not a matter of opinion. Its there or it isn't. Some people are color blind, that doesn't mean red does not exist. These arguments and derailments show bias.
post #7058 of 12467 Old 09-11-2016, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
I don't think we as in former oled owners would say that directly, a few of the others still own oled alongside their z series. I loved my g6, color fidelity, off axis viewing, deep black, etc... The issue of motion will go back and forth quite a bit and I feel that as with many things, results vary by the person viewing the test. It could be content, could be the blu ray player, could be the tv. i was lucky with my g6, I was sad to sell it, and even though I know I can purchase an e6 or c6 cheaper than the z, I had great pause because I think of how many replacements I went through with oled before I felt content enough with the g6. I could save myself $1000 by going back to oled, but even still looking through these threads I still see on models banding, slight edge vignetting, and many of the other things that caused me to go through 6 ef9500. My local lg tech wasn't even allowed to service my tvs anymore because his boss was trying to say I was making fraudulent claims against some of those earlier issues. But some folks have a hard time putting faith in a product that can't be produced consistently with the same results. If I could get the exact same g6 I had for the price of what I paid for the z it would be a no brainer, oled all the way. As I said, I enjoyed my oled immensely, but especially purchasing from Best Buy they can't guarantee problem free tvs without you first taking delivery and then going through exchange processing which if I have to repackage another tv this year I'm bound to go crazy!
Long and short, despite seeming skewed, I think even in the z thread, people that have or have had oleds did or do still enjoy oleds in their own way
So without starting something here and at the expense of being truly interested in your answer...

Why did you choose the Z over the G6 if the G6 has superior color fidelity, off axis viewing, deep black, etc.?
post #7059 of 12467 Old 09-11-2016, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Its not a matter of opinion. Its there or it isn't. Some people are color blind, that doesn't mean red does not exist. These arguments and derailments show bias.
Audioduck did an oled TV attack your family or something lol?? Jeez man, they aren't perfect, but they are Flippin awesome Tvs.
I have a 55c6p and anything on directv is completely judder free. I honestly haven't even noticed it, so it is definitely not anything like you say. I did see ONE pan at the end of fear the walking dead that stuttered like crazy as it panned, but I think it was the source problem.

The only real issue I see with the oleds, is getting the brightness right, without Crushing blacks a little bit. Too low and blacks get crushed a bit, too high and you start to see background pixelation. This is only a problem on poorly or overly compressed material. Any good Netflix or Blu ray level material and it's perfectly fine.

All the edge lit lcds have soooo many glaring issues. I got a couple different ones and sent them back. Coming from plasma, I couldn't deal with the light bleeding, poor black levels, clouding, poor viewing angles etc. I can't believe anyone who loves picture quality, would ever keep one. I mean you want an easy target, go pick on those owners lol. Nit picking oled is ridiculous. It's like saying Pamela Anderson isn't hot, because she has a little pimple.
Ken Ross and Gillietalls like this.
post #7060 of 12467 Old 09-11-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
So, seriously - which is it?

You have people on here who say that judder, etc. is not any worse than any other TV.

And then you have professional reviews saying the oppoiste:

"On the larger 65-incher, what’s definitely more apparent however was LG’s more juddery 24fps handling. We compared the 65E6V side-by-side against Panasonic’s TX-65DX902B, Samsung’s UE65KS9500 and Sony’s KD-75XD9405 (motion interpolation disabled on all sets) using several clips of slow panning shots in The Dark Knight, Wall-E and The Martian fed from an OPPO BDP-103 Blu-ray player, and the OLED consistently betrayed more stuttering than rival flagship televisions from other manufacturers."

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oled6...1608104333.htm

audioduck likes this.
post #7061 of 12467 Old 09-11-2016, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
^^^who knows...I don't see any judder on mine...never seen any motion related issues that aren't related to content. Some people are just more sensitive to it than others.
hughh likes this.
post #7062 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 688
I've followed this forum on and off since around 2012, I've read many different threads and I've seen a lot of trolling sometimes but I don't think I've ever seen the kind of crap going on in the Z9 thread. It's really a whole new level of ridiculousness
Ken Ross likes this.
post #7063 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Quote:
So without starting something here and at the expense of being truly interested in your answer...

Why did you choose the Z over the G6 if the G6 has superior color fidelity, off axis viewing, deep black, etc.?
I had to sell the tv...you could say it acted as a consolidation loan...was able to pay off 2 credit cards and a medical bill and use the rest as a down payment on the z of which I all ready had gotten significantly marked down at bb. So it was more necessity than want or desire and initial reports of the tv being "the oled killer" peaked my interest that it would hopefully be good enough to satisfy my wants in a tv. And from previous experiences with Samsung I really don't bother with them anymore...
Ken Ross likes this.
post #7064 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post
I've followed this forum on and off since around 2012, I've read many different threads and I've seen a lot of trolling sometimes but I don't think I've ever seen the kind of crap going on in the Z9 thread. It's really a whole new level of ridiculousness
In some people the fanboy is strong.

As C6 owner (Imported US model, BTW dont believe LG spec that states that US models are 110V only, the power supply is 240V and works fine from 220V) that uses his TV for 24 hours a day (yes 24 hours straight, I also sleep for 24 hours straight) for PC monitor, I guess i wont lie if ill say that im 99% sure that I used the TV more than anyone else on the planet LOL.
Never had any sort of stack pixels or image retention, the shift pixel option is actually visible on PC, you can see how some menus slightly shift beyond the frame of the monitor after some use and than it shifts to another side and other part shifts, but its just couple mm each time.
So I never noticed no Jadder, mostly I use it in PC mode and turn on game mode to play games.
I also have my PS4 (PSpro pre-ordered) connected to watch 3D blurays (OMG 3D is awesome, I never seen so good 3D and I had x2 3D tvs before, latest being the 'Gamers dream' Sony 55W905 with yet unbeaten input lag.)
I like this TV and the only thing I hope for is for LG to release HDR-Game mode, it doesn't have to have input lag as low as real game mode but it should be the best possible input lag with HDR on this TV can offer by turning everything off.
I mostly game on GTX1080 BUT if for example Mass Effect Andromeda comes with HDR on PS4Pro and the PC version without I might consider the peasant console version of the game instead of the Master Race edition, but to enjoy it we need as low input lag as possible and right now HDR only works in Cinema mode.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #7065 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Yes you sell LG .. I get it.
He sells LG's??????

Quote:
But responding to every post doesnt make your hype true.
Nor yours!!!!!

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB
post #7066 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:

You have people on here who say that judder, etc. is not any worse than any other TV.

"On the larger 65-incher, what’s definitely more apparent however was LG’s more juddery 24fps handling. We compared the 65E6V side-by-side against Panasonic’s TX-65DX902B, Samsung’s UE65KS9500 and Sony’s KD-75XD9405 (motion interpolation disabled on all sets) using several clips of slow panning shots in The Dark Knight, Wall-E and The Martian fed from an OPPO BDP-103 Blu-ray player, and the OLED consistently betrayed more stuttering than rival flagship televisions from other manufacturers."

You have to wonder about the settings or something unique to that reviewer's panel. When you consider that other reviewers, even when dedicating a section to motion, don't see judder as any worse than other displays, it would seem the preponderance of evidence indicates they're essentially the same as other techs. Even the latest CNET review didn't mention any issue with judder.

As with most things you research, there are outlier reviews and then there's the bulk of reviews that say the same thing. I tend to go with the average, especially when it confirms what I see with my own panels.
buzzard767 and Gillietalls like this.
post #7067 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post
I call that thread the "Zero Tolerance Thread". If you don't heap effusive praise on the Z, you are burned at the stake. If you respond to someone that not only has made a comparison between OLEDs and the Z, but is asking the question "why do reviewers not see these motion issues", you are burned at the stake. IOW, they don't really want the answer or at least a possible explanation.

For me it was enough.

I will say Wjboshart was the most objective of the Z owners.
fhschellenberg, chunon and Vader1 like this.
post #7068 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

You wont get the answer here. Anyone who doesn't throw down praise for LG gets attacked here by the same 5 offenders. However the word "professional" is key. So many pretend to be that here but without any verification except the other 4 guys they constantly team with to uphold each other. If there were any real pro's here they got buried in nonsense and left.

You have to see for yourself. The TV has it pluses without a doubt. But also has weaknesses that are pretty bad; near black, artifacts, judder. You simply must find a dealer with an easy return policy. Even the glorifiers here have returned several sets to find what they think is a good one. You can look at their past posts to verify this.
post #7069 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
You wont get the answer here.
Says the guy who has 119 total posts and 71 are in this thread.
Ken Ross and Masterbrew2 like this.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #7070 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 6420 Post(s)
Liked: 6408
post #7071 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Says the guy who has 119 total posts and 71 are in this thread.
Yeah, but you can't start another thread with a new issue. You get yelled at by those 5 guys for not embracing the couple mega-threads.
audioduck likes this.
post #7072 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Yeah, but you can't start another thread with a new issue. You get yelled at by those 5 guys for not embracing the couple mega-threads.
A relative perhaps ? Some are too lazy to search.
Ken Ross and tgm1024 like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #7073 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Does anyone know what the new firmware version 04.30.15 did?
post #7074 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I doubt he owns an OLED but does have an agenda. Calling out owners who are happy with their displays will go nowhere.

There are four issues with LG OLEDs; motion studder, motion soap opera effect, near black performance, and artifacts due to upscaling.

Studder - the OLEDs do not handle 24p as well as plasma, LCD and projection systems. That is a fact. The type of motion that produces noticeable studder is a small percentage of content but it's undeniable. If you can't handle it, don't buy.

SOE - I don't see any so cannot comment further. Yes, I'm 20/20.

Near black - fixed on the 2016s. I'm waiting for feedback on pre '16 models.

Artifacting due to upscaling - there is some and it's very visible when viewed up close, most evident in dark scenes. Not so from normal viewing distances. There is no artifacting with UHD content.

The best disc for patterns is Ted's Disc. It's 1080p but will tell you a lot about your display. Hopefully there will be 4k version in the future. Patterns

As the owner of several LCDs, 3 plasma, and a 4k Sony 600ES pj, the 55E6P in my office is the best of the lot. Perfect black with no halos or other bleeding plus very good color performance sets the OLED apart from the rest.
tanman, Jetson312 and ConnecTEDDD like this.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

Last edited by buzzard767; 09-12-2016 at 12:47 PM.
post #7075 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 01:00 PM

For what it's worth, coming from mainly Sony's, I think the judder is horrible on my 65C.

The smoothing creates the worst "junk" around the moving objects that I've seen on my own personal TVs.

I still love the TV, but OLED is way behind even 5 year old Sony's that I own/owned with respect to motion. It's really annoying on DirecTV especially.
audioduck likes this.

Last edited by The Real Robotaz; 09-12-2016 at 01:09 PM.
post #7076 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
A relative perhaps ? Some are too lazy to search.
And if you look at his avatar and the icon, that might explain all you need to know. A few too many?
post #7077 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 01:37 PM

Do any B owners know where to find the Directv RVU app that was supposedly added with one of the last 2 updates? I looked all over and don't see it. On my Sony it shows up as an app.
post #7078 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Robotaz View Post
For what it's worth, coming from mainly Sony's, I think the judder is horrible on my 65C.

The smoothing creates the worst "junk" around the moving objects that I've seen on my own personal TVs.

I still love the TV, but OLED is way behind even 5 year old Sony's that I own/owned with respect to motion. It's really annoying on DirecTV especially.
I know several Oled owners that don't have motion issues with DTV. I personally keep true motion off for my cable feed no issue for me . A C model is in my future early next year so interested if you get it tesolved.
armandxp likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #7079 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
I know several Oled owners that don't have motion issues with DTV. I personally keep true motion off for my cable feed no issue for me . A C model is in my future early next year so interested if you get it tesolved.
I'm sure it can be improved, but I don't have a calibration profile from anywhere to try, and I don't have time to play with the TV over and over.
post #7080 of 12467 Old 09-12-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Robotaz View Post
I'm sure it can be improved, but I don't have a calibration profile from anywhere to try, and I don't have time to play with the TV over and over.
Check with @Ken Ross pretty sure he has DTV and good motion on his B6.
The Real Robotaz likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
ez-adj , lg oled , lgoled , reset , white balance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page