2016 LG OLEDs - G6, E6, C6, and B6 - Page 282 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41394Likes

post #8431 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Hit the Focus button on the remote to turn it off.
Always helping a guy out, thanks wxman! It worked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8432 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson312 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Any suggestions on how to go about resolving this image issue?

Ive considered paying the $350 to get it professionally calibrated locally but I didn't want to do so if there is possibly something wrong with my particular set that needs to be fixed first.
The best way I found to solve the near black issue is to drop thbe 5% ire down about 10 clicks. I know a lot of people do the opposite and raise the 5% ire but for sdr content this is the only solution that solves 100% of my near black issues. My brightness is set at 50 and while dropping the 5% ire does crush black a little, it's not nearly as much as dropping brightness even a single click. Try it! I have not had to do this for hdr content.
Jetson312 likes this.
post #8433 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So unpacked my E6 and set it up.....man am I disappointed. The stuttering in movies and games is UNREAL.

Like this is something I'd expect from a $500 TV not something that costs $6,000 plus regular price.

I've turned all the motion stuff off within the LG TV's menu and it's bad. Cable TV jerky, XBOX ONE Gears 4 NON HDR....SO SO bad. The game is supposed to run at 60fps and I bet on this TV in game mode or any mode it's down to 20.

Plex Spectre and a few other shows choppy and all over the place as well.

If anyone knows of something I'm maybe missing in the menu let me know.

This TV was also made in Mexico in October 2016 and when I attempted to do a firmware update it said there were none which I find strange since the E6 supposedly had an update in December correct? I'm in Canada so maybe a different release?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8434 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
2016 LG OLEDs - G6, E6, C6, and B6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacedDuck View Post
So unpacked my E6 and set it up.....man am I disappointed. The stuttering in movies and games is UNREAL.

Like this is something I'd expect from a $500 TV not something that costs $6,000 plus regular price.

I've turned all the motion stuff off within the LG TV's menu and it's bad. Cable TV jerky, XBOX ONE Gears 4 NON HDR....SO SO bad. The game is supposed to run at 60fps and I bet on this TV in game mode or any mode it's down to 20.

Plex Spectre and a few other shows choppy and all over the place as well.

If anyone knows of something I'm maybe missing in the menu let me know.

This TV was also made in Mexico in October 2016 and when I attempted to do a firmware update it said there were none which I find strange since the E6 supposedly had an update in December correct? I'm in Canada so maybe a different release?
Or you have an defective E6 or you have it very, very, very bad calibrated with filters and other stuff on.

I don't have any of the problems that you are mentioning.
captainbrent likes this.

Last edited by Pheux; 12-23-2016 at 06:05 PM.
post #8435 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheux View Post
You have an defective E6 or you have it very bad calibrated with filters and other stuff on.
Not calibrated professionally I used the ratings.com ones exactly.

No filters on that I know of as I'm not sure wheee they'd even be. I'm assuming picture settings right?
post #8436 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Not calibrated professionally I used the ratings.com ones exactly.

No filters on that I know of as I'm not sure wheee they'd even be. I'm assuming picture settings right?

Forget Rtings. Did you copy 20 Point settings? You should NOT apply those settings. They are exclusive to their set, not to yours or mine. Every set has an different calibration. Do a reset and play with settings from your own.
fhschellenberg likes this.
post #8437 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheux View Post
Forget Rtings. Did you copy 20 Point settings? You should NOT apply those settings. They are exclusive to their set, not to yours or mine. Every set has an different calibration. Do a reset and play with settings from your own.
What do you mean did I copy 20 point settings?

All I know is the picture is beautiful on this tv bit the stuttering is horrible. It's almost a mini hiccup on Spectre ever four or five seconds.

Picture settings shouldn't impact performance right? So brightness won't cause a stutter as an example.
post #8438 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 06:36 PM

So hooked my VT60 back up and its day and night difference in terms of performance. My fiancé who knows nothing about tv could notice every hitch on the E6 on all three formats. The only thing that played normally was Wii U of all things.

Anyone with any tips they've used to remove stuttering please let me know. I'm seriously sitting here right now mind blow at this assuming this is the norm. Why anyone would buy these is nuts.
post #8439 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Wait judder and the soap opera effect are different?
Judder is sort of the opposite of soap opera effect. My understanding is, there's "good" judder (the nice, even judder you see in a 24p source) and "bad" judder, where it jumps around due to conversion issues. Soap opera effect is where everything is so smooth it looks like it was shot on a home video camera. Some people seem to like a bit of motion processing, but if you overdo it, it can cause artifacts. I personally turn it all off, but not everyone likes that look.

Sorry, I can't be of much help with the LG yet; I just got it. I'm coming from a Samsung LCD, and most people could find a happy medium with the motion settings. So far, the new OLED looks about the same motion wise as my LCD did, but I'm used to no processing.
post #8440 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 5810 Post(s)
Liked: 4167
Quote:
So hooked my VT60 back up and its day and night difference in terms of performance. My fiancé who knows nothing about tv could notice every hitch on the E6 on all three formats. The only thing that played normally was Wii U of all things.

Anyone with any tips they've used to remove stuttering please let me know. I'm seriously sitting here right now mind blow at this assuming this is the norm. Why anyone would buy these is nuts.
I have not seen any issues with TruMotion set to USER, and dejudder at 0 and deblur at 10 with blu ray movies on my E6. Motion is flawless. Are you watching blu ray, tv or streaming? Did you watch Spectre through the X-box? If so, did you change it back to 24 fps? You really don't want 60 fps with a 24 fps movie. You may have to change TruMotion to 0,0 if you have the xbox upscaling to 4K. I would advise you to make sure you have it set to 24 fps for blu ray movies, and TruMotion at 0,10.

Last edited by wxman; 12-23-2016 at 06:49 PM.
post #8441 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I have not seen any issues with TruMotion set to USER, and dejudder at 0 and deblur at 10 with blu ray movies on my E6. Motion is flawless. Are you watching blu ray, tv or streaming? Did you watch Spectre through the X-box? If so, did you change it back to 24 fps? You really don't want 60 fps with a 24 fps movie. You may have to change TruMotion to 0,0 if you do.
I watched Spectre via my PLEX on an NVIDIA Shield. Watched the same movie via the same format on my VT60 and it was smooth as butter.

When I played Gears 4 on my VT60 the game ran back at the normal 60fps vs dropping to what felt like sub 30 on the LG E6.

I did turn the XBOX One to 24hz as well with no change.

Going to go try the dejudder thing you just mentioned. I had all of that just plain off instead of User then dejuder at 0 and devblur at 10. The issue is I can't use game mode and the Tru Motion feature to my knowledge. All of those items get greyed out.

Also what firmware is your TV showing you have? As I mentioned mine appears to be up to date out of the box which doesn't seem right to me. Normally there's always a patch.

Didn't the new firmware hit earlier this month for the E6?
post #8442 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I watched Spectre via my PLEX on an NVIDIA Shield. Watched the same movie via the same format on my VT60 and it was smooth as butter.

When I played Gears 4 on my VT60 the game ran back at the normal 60fps vs dropping to what felt like sub 30 on the LG E6.

I did turn the XBOX One to 24hz as well with no change.

Going to go try the dejudder thing you just mentioned. I had all of that just plain off instead of User then dejuder at 0 and devblur at 10. The issue is I can't use game mode and the Tru Motion feature to my knowledge. All of those items get greyed out.

Also what firmware is your TV showing you have? As I mentioned mine appears to be up to date out of the box which doesn't seem right to me. Normally there's always a patch.

Didn't the new firmware hit earlier this month for the E6?
LG does have an update to fix HDR game mode. I downloaded it on my computer and installed on usb stick per the instructions and then installed on my tv. The FW I have is 04.30.19.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65E6P
post #8443 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I have not seen any issues with TruMotion set to USER, and dejudder at 0 and deblur at 10 with blu ray movies on my E6. Motion is flawless. Are you watching blu ray, tv or streaming? Did you watch Spectre through the X-box? If so, did you change it back to 24 fps? You really don't want 60 fps with a 24 fps movie. You may have to change TruMotion to 0,0 if you have the xbox upscaling to 4K. I would advise you to make sure you have it set to 24 fps for blu ray movies, and TruMotion at 0,10.
So hooked up the LG again and set TruMotion to User and the default is then what you list above. Spectre still does some hiccups and Gears 4 is still horrendous for just being about half the speed of what my VT60 plays.

No joke it's from 60fps to under 30. I wish people were here right now to see it and offer advice and thoughts.

Anything else you can think of? After the next time I unhook it it's gone and I'm sticking Plasma for as long as I can.
post #8444 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
LG does have an update to fix HDR game mode. I downloaded it on my computer and installed on usb stick per the instructions and then installed on my tv. The FW I have is 04.30.19.

Ah okay I'm at 04.30.15....so that's odd the TV's built in update feature doesn't do anything lol.

I'll try the update VIA USB
post #8445 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So hooked up the LG again and set TruMotion to User and the default is then what you list above. Spectre still does some hiccups and Gears 4 is still horrendous for just being about half the speed of what my VT60 plays.

No joke it's from 60fps to under 30. I wish people were here right now to see it and offer advice and thoughts.

Anything else you can think of? After the next time I unhook it it's gone and I'm sticking Plasma for as long as I can.
I have to OPPO 203 and can set it to 60 fps and the motion is virtually perfect. Same when I set it to 24 fps. Try unplugging your tv, then depress and hold the power button on rear of tv for 20 seconds. This clears the RAM and acts like a cold reboot. Plug tv back in, turn on tv and turn off Quick Start in the tv settings. Quick start may drain the RAM because it never closes the apps.
post #8446 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Actually when I think about it.....it fixing HDR Game mode won't really do squat for my issues will it? I'm not using HDR at all for this stuff. Just standard 1080p via a regular XBOX One and NVIDIA Shield
post #8447 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 07:34 PM

Not up to date and rebooted my XBOX One as well fully as I read sometimes when you plug a new TV in it will cause a refresh issue and still having horrible framerate on my XBOX One vanilla as in non S HDR model.

Something is for sure wrong here then. Either it's a setting on the TV hidden somewhere I haven't found yet or this TV is just a mess.

EDIT:

Okay I think I'm onto something here. So I had everything hooked up via my Pioneer VSX-1128 K which is supposed to be a 4K eligible receiver even though the content I'm using right now is just 1080p.

I plugged my XBOX One directly into my TV and all of the issues with Gears 4 are gone.

So now my question is what is wrong between my receiver and this TV? Is there a setting I'd have to change because this is a 4K TV even though my XBOX ONE is set to 1080p? Maybe a firmware update for that receiver? Not even sure how to do a firmware update on it if that's even a thing since there's no like menu on screen or anything

Last edited by SpacedDuck; 12-23-2016 at 07:56 PM.
post #8448 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked: 1515
Quote:
Not up to date and rebooted my XBOX One as well fully as I read sometimes when you plug a new TV in it will cause a refresh issue and still having horrible framerate on my XBOX One vanilla as in non S HDR model.

Something is for sure wrong here then. Either it's a setting on the TV hidden somewhere I haven't found yet or this TV is just a mess.

EDIT:

Okay I think I'm onto something here. So I had everything hooked up via my Pioneer VSX-1128 K which is supposed to be a 4K eligible receiver even though the content I'm using right now is just 1080p.

I plugged my XBOX One directly into my TV and all of the issues with Gears 4 are gone.

So now my question is what is wrong between my receiver and this TV? Is there a setting I'd have to change because this is a 4K TV even though my XBOX ONE is set to 1080p? Maybe a firmware update for that receiver? Not even sure how to do a firmware update on it if that's even a thing since there's no like menu on screen or anything
Why don't you try posting a quick video of what you are seeing? Never mind just saw your edit' your avr was upscaling causing issues, set it to pass through.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #8449 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Why don't you try posting a quick video of what you are seeing?
Hey, was thinking of doing that and quickly tried hooking my XBOX ONE up via just HDMI from the TV to the XBOX eliminating my Pioneer VSX-1128-K receiver and the issues are completly gone when playing Gears of War 4. Haven't tried the movie via NVIDIA Shield yet but can assume it will be gone as well.

Now my next question is what's wrong with my receiver that it's stuttering this much? I'm using the same HDMI cable that I was running from my receiver to the TV that I just hooked up from my TV to my XBOX ONE.

My receiver according to specs is 4K Ultra HD ready so there's something wrong between the two.

Can a receiver typically be firmware upgraded?
post #8450 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey, was thinking of doing that and quickly tried hooking my XBOX ONE up via just HDMI from the TV to the XBOX eliminating my Pioneer VSX-1128-K receiver and the issues are completly gone when playing Gears of War 4. Haven't tried the movie via NVIDIA Shield yet but can assume it will be gone as well.

Now my next question is what's wrong with my receiver that it's stuttering this much? I'm using the same HDMI cable that I was running from my receiver to the TV that I just hooked up from my TV to my XBOX ONE.

My receiver according to specs is 4K Ultra HD ready so there's something wrong between the two.

Can a receiver typically be firmware upgraded?
Yes, some receivers are upgradeable. Your receiver may need an upgrade to handle 4k at 60fps. Your plasma is incapable of doing 4k, so your receiver was never sending that to your tv.
post #8451 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, some receivers are upgradeable. Your receiver may need an upgrade to handle 4k at 60fps. Your plasma is incapable of doing 4k, so your receiver was never sending that to your tv.
I have my Receiver hooked up to HDMI 2 on my TV and the other end going into OUTPUT on my receiver.

How in the heck do I get my receiver menu to show up on my TV so I can confirm firmware etc? Cannot seem to find button on remote

According to the manual for the VSX 1128 K I need to hook my receiver up to my tv via Output 1 and then press the receiver button on my remote then home menu....nothing shows on my tv. So frustrating trying to deal with crap that doesn't work exactly how it tells you.

Last edited by SpacedDuck; 12-23-2016 at 09:31 PM.
post #8452 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Why don't you try posting a quick video of what you are seeing? Never mind just saw your edit' your avr was upscaling causing issues, set it to pass through.
haha, just saw your edit after my edit. What menu would the upscaling thing typically be found in? Should a 4K receiver not be able to upscale from 1080p to semi 4K?

I mean it's part of what is should be able to do right? Doing a firmware update on the receiver as we speak......not an easy thing to figure out...took hours to find the firmware update as it was listed anywhere. Last time I buy a Future Shop/Best Buy exclusive item.

Anyways, I'll see if I can find this pass through thing and shut it down like a Bar Rescue bar.
TNguy22 likes this.
post #8453 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
@SpacedDuck - Take a look at page 65 in your manual under the heading "Pioneer VSX-1128-K". A lot of stuff there to turn off / toggle to make it stop doing things to the signal.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POC...hop/VSX-1128-K
click Manuals & Brochures
post #8454 of 12496 Old 12-23-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightandsound View Post
@SpacedDuck - Take a look at page 65 in your manual under the heading "Pioneer VSX-1128-K". A lot of stuff there to turn off / toggle to make it stop doing things to the signal.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POC...hop/VSX-1128-K
click Manuals & Brochures
Finally got it I think. So I found the firmware which was a pain to find but got it done and updated via USB.

Once the update was done I hooked everything back up to my receiver and still had the horrible slowdown and stuttering.

Checked the source info for each input and it sure enough was still 2160p or whatever so I hit a button on my receiver remote and finally the on screen menu worked.

Turned off a feature and now the tv displays in 1080p for each input source.

So while watching my Nvidia shield, playing Xbox one etc.

Stuttering appears to all be gone and Gears is playing at a crisp 60 fps again.

So everything with the tv so far seems good now I can finally test picture quality and see if there's any juddering etc. So far looks good though.

That said, why is my receiver not working properly upscaling?

Is it because upscaling is more strain than if the content was just native 4K or is my receiver just not capable of any 4K despite it being 4K ready?

Could it also be my hdmi cable not being fast enough? I guess if this was the case it wouldn't have worked when hooking my Xbox one directly to the tv?

The cable I'm using is a standard hdmi cable about 2 or 3 years old.
post #8455 of 12496 Old 12-24-2016, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Is there a consensus on what's acceptable for vignetting? I thought it was mostly gone with the 2016 models, but I just got a 65" B6, and it's there for sure. It's very obvious on a 5-10% gray pattern, but not bad in actual content. I watched Avatar tonight, which looked freaking amazing, but I did notice the vignetting (mostly on the right side) in a couple of scenes. Also, as I flip between channels on my cable box, there is a brief, dark gray screen, and I can see it there, too. Is this something that can change over time? The set probably has 8 hours of use.
post #8456 of 12496 Old 12-24-2016, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4466 Post(s)
Liked: 3917
^^Let it get to 20 hours and a few more comp. cycles before throwing in the towel.

@SpacedDuck : I just happened to look at the year of release of that model, which is 2013, making it 3 years old...ancient sauce in the world of CEM devices and especially cutting edge features that require the latest HDMI revisions.

Here's a cryptic excerpt from your manual:
Quote:
4K signal transfer

This may not operate properly, depending on the connected equipment.

4K 24p, 4K 25p and 4K 30p signals are supported
post #8457 of 12496 Old 12-24-2016, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1710 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
...snip...
That said, why is my receiver not working properly upscaling?

Is it because upscaling is more strain than if the content was just native 4K or is my receiver just not capable of any 4K despite it being 4K ready?

Could it also be my hdmi cable not being fast enough? I guess if this was the case it wouldn't have worked when hooking my Xbox one directly to the tv?

The cable I'm using is a standard hdmi cable about 2 or 3 years old.
I think as a practical matter, if you can run your cables directly to the display, you're going to be better off. Then you're not going through what you have gone through. One thing you might have a problem with is the sequence of what gets turned on when so that everything works.

If it works, fine. Otherwise, wire directly to the display.

Post which HDMI cable you have and there are some who could tell you if its ok or not. Do state the lengths too.
fhschellenberg likes this.
post #8458 of 12496 Old 12-24-2016, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1746 View Post
The best way I found to solve the near black issue is to drop thbe 5% ire down about 10 clicks. I know a lot of people do the opposite and raise the 5% ire but for sdr content this is the only solution that solves 100% of my near black issues. My brightness is set at 50 and while dropping the 5% ire does crush black a little, it's not nearly as much as dropping brightness even a single click. Try it! I have not had to do this for hdr content.
Yet another suggestion is to bring OLED Light/Contrast down. By default this set has far too high peak luminance for SDR, even using ISF Dark.

With Contrast at default, OLED Light around 30 is probably close to 120nits which SDR is mastered for (and typically what you see in a movie theater). If that's a bit too dim, like the person above you may be able to use even OLED 40-50 and see a big improvement in near black. Trying living with it for a day or two, it will seem dim when you first reduce it, but when you turn the TV on next time you may not even notice! Some find they can then reduce it some more.

There are only 219 luminance steps in SDR - it's the reason why HDR needs 10/12-bits. Spreading them out over too wide a range makes the steps, especially around near black, very visible.

Last edited by jong1; 12-24-2016 at 03:34 AM.
post #8459 of 12496 Old 12-24-2016, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
Hey guys, just posted this over in the calibration thread, but here it is again, in case you're interested. Got a new 65" B6 today

So I just did some quick and dirty settings. I'm using HCFR, so I wasn't sure if the ABL patterns were best or windows, so I stuck with ABL.

Brightness: at first I went to 54 using the AVS709 pattern. Even at this setting, bar 18 was barely visible, and 17 and 16 were gone. This setting seemed a bit excessive compared to everyone else, so I thought I'd take a closer look. The AVS disc also has near black windows (1%, 2%, etc). I loaded those up and noticed that I could see glowing pixels/noise outside the 1% window area where everything should be pitch black. It kind of looked like static, but extremely dim. It seemed to be more obvious towards the edge of the screen. I dropped brightness down to 52 and this artifact disappeared. The 1% window was barely visible, and more importantly, the area outside it appeared to be perfectly dark.

Contrast: I was clipping whites at the default of 85, so I dropped it down a click to 84. The top couple of bars still clipped, but no biggie.

OLED light: I set it to 40 for now. This gives me 155 nits (~45 ftL) on the AVS709 HCFR APL pattern. I had my LCD set to about 115 nits, which seemed fine in the dark, so I may have to lower the OLED light further. We'll see how my eyes handle it. It's kind of weird because the OLED doesn't seem much brighter than my old LCD, so maybe it has to do with ABL. What's the lowest setting you guys have used for OLED light?

Gamma: I left at the default BT.1886. My i1d3 meter says avg. gamma is 2.41, and the graph actually looks very flat.

WB: Since the TV is new, I figured it's best not to get carried away with this yet. I did a 10-pt measurement with HCFR, and it was actually quite good except for the high end. I went into the TV's 2-pt mode, and dropped blue (high) down about 5 clicks, and tweaked the low end just a tad. Figure I'll revisit this later, but it looks nice for now.

Now I think I can relax a bit and watch some real life stuff The only "flaw" I've noticed so far is the infamous vignetting. It's most obvious on a full screen 5% gray pattern, and worse on the right edge of the screen. I'm a little bummed about this, but maybe it'll improve over time? As long as I don't see it in content, it shouldn't be an issue. I think I can accept this since the contrast and black levels on this thing destroy my Samsung JU7100.
Congrats on the set! I'm running mine at 52 brightness, 82 contrast, but my OLED alight is at 55 for dark room. Probably tad bright. I can always tweak it. I like gamma 2.2 for dark room ISF.

I didn't mess with any of the white balance settings or luminance values either. As for vignetting, mine has a very slight amount but it's hardly noticeable with a grey screen let alone content. It also has gotten better as I've used the TV. There really is something to those comp cycles. They appear to help break the TV in so to speak. Stick with it!

Quote:

EDIT:

Glad to hear you are getting this sorted out! Definitely something with your AVR, as you've sort of proved. Not sure if your AVR can be updated via firmware or not. Many can NOT. I have an older AVR as well but everything just passes through it which is what works best.

It's almost like something else in your chain is wanting to upscale the feed or process it somehow and that's causing image issues. Not totally sure. Unfortunately, this HDMI stuff is NOT always straight forward and you aren't the only one that's had some strange issues.

The TV is probably fine though, that's the good news.
ChicagoChris likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #8460 of 12496 Old 12-24-2016, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Finally got it I think.
Stuttering appears to all be gone and Gears is playing at a crisp 60 fps again.

So everything with the tv so far seems good now I can finally test picture quality and see if there's any juddering etc. So far looks good though.
I'm glad your getting this sorted out.

I have an E6 on order and I got concerned when I read your first post about bad upscaling and motion issues since I still have a large collection of DVDs and "if" this TV has issues with upscaling or motion - it wouldn't work for me. I started to scan and reread through all the OLED reviews again looking for comments on upscaling performance. And every review I found said upscaling was excellent and motion/juddering was not a problem.

I was going to post back that "it must be a defective set" in your case. Then I saw that you figured it out it was the receiver causing the problem. I bet you feel a lot better about buying the OLED now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
ez-adj , lg oled , lgoled , reset , white balance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page