2016 LG OLEDs - G6, E6, C6, and B6 - Page 287 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41394Likes

post #8581 of 12496 Old 01-03-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I am just going off what I read. We do not text gaming aspects on displays....
But, do you test them?

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8582 of 12496 Old 01-03-2017, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
Harmony remote. It really is that good. Sometimes there is an issue but you press the help button and you're back in business.

I have same tv, yamaha receiver (a660) and Phillips uhd player. I have activities (scenes) for TV (dish), smart tv apps and movies, 1 button press each with full customization of buttons (harmony 1)

Thanks.

I don't mind buying harmony. However if fios dvr does not support cec/hdmi control will it still work?

QQs a) which harmony remote do you use?
B) does your dish box support hdmi control or cec ?

LG Oled65B6P, Yamaha RX-A2060, Pioneer SP-FS52 (Front L/R), Pioneer SP-C22 (Center), Pioneer SP-BS22-LR (Surround), 4 x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR (Front/Rear Atmos Addon), Roku Ultra, Klipsch K100-SW subwoofer, Monoprice HDMI Platinum Certified 18Gb Cables
post #8583 of 12496 Old 01-03-2017, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just upgraded to an E6 and noticed some banding on gradients on my Apple TV. Not sure if this is caused by upscaling or even the TV at all (just picked up a new AVR as well). Anyone know if it's an easily changeable setting?

Also, I've seen a lot of people recommend turning off TruMotion and on RealCinema, however RealCinema is grayed out for me. How can I make the change?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1872033  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8584 of 12496 Old 01-03-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ason12 View Post
So I just upgraded to an E6 and noticed some banding on gradients on my Apple TV. Not sure if this is caused by upscaling or even the TV at all (just picked up a new AVR as well). Anyone know if it's an easily changeable setting?

Also, I've seen a lot of people recommend turning off TruMotion and on RealCinema, however RealCinema is grayed out for me. How can I make the change?

Thanks!
RealCinema can only be engaged on interlaced signals, e.g. 1080i. Apple TV, and pretty much all other streamers, only outputs progressive signals, e.g. 720p and 1080p, so RealCinema cannot be used with it.

As far as TruMotion, try turning it on to User and then playing around with De-blur and De-judder, starting with both at 0. Most folks seem to set De-blur high, in the 7 to 10 range, and De-judder low, in the 0 to 3 range.
post #8585 of 12496 Old 01-03-2017, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Is no one else having trouble with vignetting on these panels? I'm on my second B6, and it's very noticeable on the right side of the screen. I don't look for it when watching movies, but the problem is, I see it in my peripheral vision. I was watching a movie tonight that had some darker scenes, and I noticed it many times. These TVs also seem to have issues with near black. Any time there is a night scene, there's a ton of noise and blotchy areas. Now I see why the default settings crush the crap out of blacks; it's to hide all this garbage. While I'm on the topic of black crush, it seems the only way to show proper levels is to raise brightness BUT it can't be raised enough to fix the black crush without also raising the black floor, so perfect blacks go out the window.

I've been told vignetting issues will not improve over time
post #8586 of 12496 Old 01-03-2017, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ason12 View Post

Thanks!
RealCinema can only be engaged on interlaced signals, e.g. 1080i. Apple TV, and pretty much all other streamers, only outputs progressive signals, e.g. 720p and 1080p, so RealCinema cannot be used with it.

As far as TruMotion, try turning it on to User and then playing around with De-blur and De-judder, starting with both at 0. Most folks seem to set De-blur high, in the 7 to 10 range, and De-judder low, in the 0 to 3 range.
I was wondering why my real cinema was on but greyed out while watching my FiOS set top, so I'm glad this was brought up. My FiOS box is set to 1080i for all material. TruMotion on/off makes no difference....real cinema greyed out. The only thing I can think of at this moment is that my FiOS is plugged into the XB1S via HDMI in. So is the Xbox scaling my TV content to 1080p and that's why I'm not seeing an option for real cinema?

Side note which I found out today, XB1S used to upscale Blu Rays to 4K when they initially launched the unit but the feature has since been removed. Why? I have no idea....pretty stupid IMO. I see people asking for MS to add it back in an update on the support forums. I guess we'll see but that's a bummer =/
post #8587 of 12496 Old 01-03-2017, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 3913
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
Is no one else having trouble with vignetting on these panels? I'm on my second B6, and it's very noticeable on the right side of the screen. I don't look for it when watching movies, but the problem is, I see it in my peripheral vision. I was watching a movie tonight that had some darker scenes, and I noticed it many times. These TVs also seem to have issues with near black. Any time there is a night scene, there's a ton of noise and blotchy areas. Now I see why the default settings crush the crap out of blacks; it's to hide all this garbage. While I'm on the topic of black crush, it seems the only way to show proper levels is to raise brightness BUT it can't be raised enough to fix the black crush without also raising the black floor, so perfect blacks go out the window.

I have come to the conclusion they all have it. My G6 has it, but I've seen it less than 1% of the time in content. That is a win for me (the banding, however, is a pet peeve that shows up more frequently). You have a more severe case of it...you are experiencing what I did unfortunately, which required multiple replacements and still not being 100% satisfied. There have been photos of E6s/G6 posted in that owner thread in the last several days including by yours truly. Post some up in the vignette thread if you haven't already. Beyond 40 hours, improvements are only marginal.
post #8588 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 02:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I have come to the conclusion they all have it. My G6 has it, but I've seen it less than 1% of the time in content. That is a win for me (the banding, however, is a pet peeve that shows up more frequently). You have a more severe case of it...you are experiencing what I did unfortunately, which required multiple replacements and still not being 100% satisfied. There have been photos of E6s/G6 posted in that owner thread in the last several days including by yours truly. Post some up in the vignette thread if you haven't already. Beyond 40 hours, improvements are only marginal.
Are there certain types of scenes that show this issue easily? Just curious for my own knowledge. I have not gone looking for it but with varied content and quite a bit of use over the last 2-3 weeks I can't say I've noticed such a thing. I do believe it exists, the photos certainly show it!

I Thought I read that comp cycles and usage do help to calm this down. Unless that was something else?

If it's bad enough to bother you by all means swap out until you are happy. This is not a cheap TV so it needs to be right!

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #8589 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 113
@video_analysis do you have a link to the vignette thread please? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8590 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 02:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...s-my-65e6.html

RoadLizard, it's very dimly lit uniform content that will sometimes show some trailing off in brightness at the edge in a pattern that matches the panel's vignette. Don't go looking for it. For the most part, it's been what's closer to the center of the screen that's bothered me more than at the edges.
StumpyBloke likes this.
post #8591 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 03:06 AM

^^^^ Cheers fella

post #8592 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 03:07 AM

I get a tiny bit on the RHS of my G6 but rarely. Just one of those things.

post #8593 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post

Thank you very much! I'll give those settings a try.

Anyone have any idea about the gradient "banding?" (I hate to use that term as it seems to mean almost an entirely different thing here with OLEDs). Is it likely the TV or could it be the AVR?
post #8594 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...s-my-65e6.html

RoadLizard, it's very dimly lit uniform content that will sometimes show some trailing off in brightness at the edge in a pattern that matches the panel's vignette. Don't go looking for it. For the most part, it's been what's closer to the center of the screen that's bothered me more than at the edges.
Gotchya - I usually dont look for stuff like that. Im too OCD and would probably never have kept any TV Ive ever bought lol. Thanks though for the info! So far I dont believe mine has this issue or its minimal enough for me not to notice.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #8595 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I told myself I would not go looking for problems on my current set (#4) unless I saw something recurrent across different content. Sadly, I did so I had to confirm. It actually has a series of vertical bars like its predecessor model from 2015, but they are fainter and far less visible in content. The darkest one that stands out the most is just to the left of center. The tiny amount of vignette present is not even a concern in comparison.
post #8596 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2313
Quote:
I told myself I would not go looking for problems on my current set (#4) unless I saw something recurrent across different content. Sadly, I did so I had to confirm. It actually has a series of vertical bars like its predecessor model from 2015, but they are fainter and far less visible in content. The darkest one that stands out the most is just to the left of center. The tiny amount of vignette present is not even a concern in comparison.
I know it's all a matter of degree of course, but which would you find more jarring on the OLEDs? For me, I'm always more sensitive to things like bars (or other geometrically defined oddities) than I am more nebulous edge effects like vignetting.
post #8597 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's like asking what is your least favorite type of poo, but I digress... Nonetheless, it's hard to say because the vignettes themselves are also fairly geometrical though not as well-defined as the columns. Variables like degree of severity (i.e. the delta between the brightest and darkest sections of the screen versus the anomaly) really make me don my politician cap and suffer you a candy-ass answer: It depends! I'm going to say that after going through this for the last 1+ year, I'm probably in your camp with the detestations of the more pronounced columns.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #8598 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7621 Post(s)
Liked: 7693
post #8599 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 07:50 AM

I think the lines on the screen would be more distracting to me. Luckily, I don't see any issues with that. The vignetting issues seem to be most visible on 5% slides and lower. Out-of-the-box, the TV crushes black a lot, so it probably hides a lot of this. Coincidence?

Not really sure what's the right move at this point. I've been reading about Samsung's "flagship" LCD, the KS9800, and there are a lot of posts in that thread about flashlighting and light bleed. That's even more distracting than vignetting, plus the TV us more money than the OLED, lol. Going back to inferior LCD tech seems like a move in the wrong direction.

I did talk to LG support yesterday, and they are forwarding my photo to the engineering team. I guess I can see if they want to send a service guy out. Otherwise, my only other option seems to be a projector. I can get a huge screen with a nice picture, but I think the loss in contrast is going to be very noticeable now that I've seen OLED. Also, it'd be in my living room, which is not a bat cave. It's doable, but not ideal for PQ.
post #8600 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
That's like asking what is your least favorite type of poo, but I digress... Nonetheless, it's hard to say because the vignettes themselves are also fairly geometrical though not as well-defined as the columns. Variables like degree of severity (i.e. the delta between the brightest and darkest sections of the screen versus the anomaly) really make me don my politician cap and suffer you a candy-ass answer: It depends! I'm going to say that after going through this for the last 1+ year, I'm probably in your camp with the detestations of the more pronounced columns.

My favorite type of poo is a bear
milehighou and tgm1024 like this.
post #8601 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the lines on the screen would be more distracting to me. Luckily, I don't see any issues with that.
Lucky! This is of course unscientific but in viewing the owner experience over the last year, it seems like the B6 has less banding but more vignetting whereas the E6/G6 have more banding but less vignetting on average. The biggest differentiating factor is 3D as far as the tech goes...likely a coincidence.
post #8602 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
I think the lines on the screen would be more distracting to me. Luckily, I don't see any issues with that. The vignetting issues seem to be most visible on 5% slides and lower. Out-of-the-box, the TV crushes black a lot, so it probably hides a lot of this. Coincidence?

Not really sure what's the right move at this point. I've been reading about Samsung's "flagship" LCD, the KS9800, and there are a lot of posts in that thread about flashlighting and light bleed. That's even more distracting than vignetting, plus the TV us more money than the OLED, lol. Going back to inferior LCD tech seems like a move in the wrong direction.

I did talk to LG support yesterday, and they are forwarding my photo to the engineering team. I guess I can see if they want to send a service guy out. Otherwise, my only other option seems to be a projector. I can get a huge screen with a nice picture, but I think the loss in contrast is going to be very noticeable now that I've seen OLED. Also, it'd be in my living room, which is not a bat cave. It's doable, but not ideal for PQ.
For me it would depend on what I'm using it for, I have ks9000 and the b6 at my home next to each other and while the oled is nicer contrast and less blu,r the ks9000 destroys the b6 when it comes to gaming . Anyone who says the input lag is a non issue is because they don't have them both like I do
post #8603 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaidyabala View Post
Thanks.

I don't mind buying harmony. However if fios dvr does not support cec/hdmi control will it still work?

QQs a) which harmony remote do you use?
B) does your dish box support hdmi control or cec ?
You don't need to worry about HDMI control with a Harmony remote it turns everything on and off and puts everything to the correct input via a series of commands. I don't know if my Dish box does HDMI control but it does not matter in my setup. I use a Harmony One which is an older model but works great you can find them on eBay
post #8604 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addict gamer View Post

For me it would depend on what I'm using it for, I have ks9000 and the b6 at my home next to each other and while the oled is nicer contrast and less blu,r the ks9000 destroys the b6 when it comes to gaming . Anyone who says the input lag is a non issue is because they don't have them both like I do
I use it for gaming and movie/tv viewing (usually in a dim room). My problem with the Sammy is I don't use game mode, and lag is somewhere around 125+ ms without it. The LG's lag outside of game mode is like 40-50 ms.
post #8605 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
You don't need to worry about HDMI control with a Harmony remote it turns everything on and off and puts everything to the correct input via a series of commands. I don't know if my Dish box does HDMI control but it does not matter in my setup. I use a Harmony One which is an older model but works great you can find them on eBay
Thank you. I will look into getting one.

LG Oled65B6P, Yamaha RX-A2060, Pioneer SP-FS52 (Front L/R), Pioneer SP-C22 (Center), Pioneer SP-BS22-LR (Surround), 4 x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR (Front/Rear Atmos Addon), Roku Ultra, Klipsch K100-SW subwoofer, Monoprice HDMI Platinum Certified 18Gb Cables
post #8606 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I use it for gaming and movie/tv viewing (usually in a dim room). My problem with the Sammy is I don't use game mode, and lag is somewhere around 125+ ms without it. The LG's lag outside of game mode is like 40-50 ms.
Why don't you use game mode? I have played a lot on both sets and love how the lg looks but can't live with that kind of lag so I use it for netflix and movies
post #8607 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addict gamer View Post
Why don't you use game mode? I have played a lot on both sets and love how the lg looks but can't live with that kind of lag so I use it for netflix and movies
On the Samsung, it's a pain to switch into game mode since I have to go through all the menus. I must just be used to the lag because I've never really found it to be an issue. Plus, doesn't game mode usually degrade picture quality?
post #8608 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
On the Samsung, it's a pain to switch into game mode since I have to go through all the menus. I must just be used to the lag because I've never really found it to be an issue. Plus, doesn't game mode usually degrade picture quality?
I see no downside with the game mode on the lg or the samsung with the picture to be honest, as for switching to game mode I assume your going through a receiver as I just have that input set to game mode on both sets .
post #8609 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapete View Post
I'm facing this weird issue right now.

The white dots you see are in fact the problem itself. This is not an issue with the video-to-GIF conversion. These flickering white dots do occasionally happen. On top of that, I'm sometimes experiencing weird black horizontal lines that flicker for <1 second. This is driving me nuts.

I have switched my HDMI cable to the supposedly updated version, 2.0. The problems persist. This is the cable I bought off of Amazon.

Here are my Nvidia settings:

PC Specs:
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX1070
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2

TV Settings:
- Picture Mode: Vivid
- Sharpness: 0
- HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour -> "On" for HDMI 1 only
- Changed "Input Label" for HDMI 1 to "PC".

As far as I can tell either
1) the panel is faulty
2) the GPU is faulty
3) the "new and upgraded" cable is faulty

Unless I'm missing something in the settings, I'm drawing a blank.
have the same video card same oled tv OLED55B6J

same problem

did you report this to lg maybe a firmware will fix

I also want to try a hdmi 2.0a premium certified cable from hama

i did report this to lg wait for answer
also wait for the cable to see if it works

i have a cable direkt pro 5m to long i say for full 4k hdr 60hz not certified for 2.0a only 12 pounds for 5m and the 1,5m is 20 pounds

what are your cables length ??
post #8610 of 12496 Old 01-04-2017, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4OLED View Post
I was wondering why my real cinema was on but greyed out while watching my FiOS set top, so I'm glad this was brought up. My FiOS box is set to 1080i for all material. TruMotion on/off makes no difference....real cinema greyed out. The only thing I can think of at this moment is that my FiOS is plugged into the XB1S via HDMI in. So is the Xbox scaling my TV content to 1080p and that's why I'm not seeing an option for real cinema?
Hmm, that could be the case. Try connecting your FiOS box directly into the TV rather than going through the Xbox.

Here's what I have determined happens with the RealCinema menu control under Picture Options based on three different types of input signal.

A. any interlaced signal, typically from broadcast/cable TV (e.g. 480i60, 1080i60): The RealCinema menu control will NEVER be grayed out (regardless of how TruMotion is set). It is accessible and can be turned on or off. When turned on, RealCinema performs reverse telecine on content it detects originally was filmed at 24fps in order to recreate a 24p cadence. (In other words, the feature is trying to restore the original motion that the content had when it was filmed, before it was mangled by the broadcast system.)

B. any progressive signal OTHER than 24p
(e.g. 720p60, 1080p30, etc.): The RealCinema menu control IS ALWAYS grayed out for such signals and cannot be turned on or off (regardless of how TruMotion is set). This is because the feature cannot do anything for these signals; unlike similar features on other TVs (e.g. MotionFlow on Sony TVs), RealCinema cannot perform reverse telecine on progressive scan signals.

C. any 24p signal (i.e. a progressive scan 24fps/24Hz signal such as 720p24, 1080p24 and 2160p24): The RealCinema menu control IS NOT grayed out IF TruMotion is turned off but it IS grayed out IF TruMotion is turned on (to Smooth, Clear, or User). I don't think the RealCinema feature is really doing anything to a 24p signal, regardless of whether it shows as being "on" or "off," since there's really nothing for it to do; there's no need to restore the original cinematic cadence since, by definition, it still exists in a 24p signal.

I'm glad I ran through all of the testing I did on RealCinema because it has apparently answered one of the questions I had about this TV from before I bought it: whether or not its built-in apps like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. fetch and display 24p streams from those services' servers. Those apps on my TiVo Roamio can do so but VERY few external streamers have that capability. Apple TV, Fire TV, etc. tend to output everything at 30p or 60p. Netflix, etc. *may* be sending those boxes 24p streams in some cases but, if so, the boxes are performing telecine and outputting at 30p or 60p.

When investigating how the RealCinema menu control responds to a 24p signal, I started with signals I knew for certain were 24p: a movie on Blu-ray (with the player's on-screen status showing "24p") and content from Netflix that I knew to be encoded at 24p (their original series Bloodline, as well as theatrical films) coming from the Netflix app on my TiVo Roamio, which was set to output streaming content at 1080p24 if available. In all those cases, the RealCinema menu control behaved the same way, as described in scenario C above.

But when I played a diagnostic test video called El Fuente 60 Main10 on Netflix encoded at 30fps (revealed as such by its on-screen graphics), the RealCinema menu control grayed out, as described in scenario B above. So far, so good.

Then I played that same content using the built-in Netflix app on my LG B6. The RealCinema menu control behaved exactly the same way as when I'd played those titles from the Netflix app on my TiVo. With Bloodline, it behaved as described in scenario C, which would seem to confirm that the app was playing a 24p stream. With the El Fuente diagnostic video, it behaved as described in scenario B, as expected for a 1080p30 signal.

Beyond that, I confirmed that the built-in Hulu and Amazon Video apps also appeared to be serving up 24p streams where expected (original series Chance and movie For Your Eyes Only in Hulu; original UHD/HDR series Red Oaks and movie The Incredibles in Amazon). In all those instances, the RealCinema menu control behaved as described in scenario C above.

So there you go: apparent confirmation that the streaming apps on our LG OLEDs are presenting content originally created at 24fps in 24p on our screens.
RIppolito and JonW747 like this.

Last edited by NashGuy; 01-04-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
ez-adj , lg oled , lgoled , reset , white balance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page