2016 LG OLEDs - G6, E6, C6, and B6 - Page 295 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41389Likes

post #8821 of 12473 Old 01-12-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavboym3 View Post
Doesn't seam to be many sports fans in here, but I would still love to know the best Sports calibration for playoff football. 1080p from cable box.
Here are my Expert Bright Room "basic" settings that you could try if you like:

Expert Bright Room
OLED Light - 60 or 65
Contrast - 85
Brightness - 52
Color/Tint - 50/0(no change)
H & V sharpness - 10/10(no change)

The picture enhancments like dynamic contrast and all that are up to you but I leave them all off.
Tru-Motion - OFF
Gamma - 2.2

Start there and see what you think.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 12473 Old 01-12-2017, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Its going to depend on how you have your source devices wired. If each one goes to a different input on the display, then once you've adjusted each input, you're done. Change inputs and you have the settings switch to what you setup for that input. To make things easier, many of us use a universal remote that runs a macro switching inputs, turning things off/on, etc.

The other approach is if you run your devices to a receiver or preamp where only one HDMI cable goes to the display. That's where you'd have to setup different picture modes and have to go into the display each time to change picture modes depending on the device.

Where things get a little more complicated is trying to compensate for unusually dark shows (Elementary on CBS comes to mind) where you might want to change the gamma setting, and if your room gets pretty bright, having to compensate for that.
Thanks for taking the time to give me a detailed response to my question.

Normally, if I was just buying another entry-level 4k LED TV I could simply use my peripheral cables in the setup I have now, and hook them into the HDMI slots using the same inputs on the TV, and not worry about picture quality. It's all just a beef hash picture anyway, regardless of the source.

I have a 4k 5.1 receiver, DirecTV 4k Genie, 4k Blu-ray player and X-Box One, and where picture quality gets tricky, I think, is that the c6 is a superior TV. And so certain settings for each type of viewing mode may have to be implemented to get the very best the c6 has to offer.

But since I'm still somewhat confused on all of this, I think it would be wise on my part to wait until I actually have the c6 to start thinking about these things. I might be putting the cart before the horse. With that, I'd again like to thank you for your help.
post #8823 of 12473 Old 01-12-2017, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hello everyone, i want to check for dead subpixels on my G6. Can you please tell me where i can download color slides, red, blue & green?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8824 of 12473 Old 01-12-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...a-display.html (you will have to use the zoom in feature since they are in 1080p).
post #8825 of 12473 Old 01-12-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
This is *fantastic* news for me - someone who had become used to - and very much likes very smooth motion (which I believe is called the "Soap Opera Effect"??)! Not sure I understand why you wouldn't want smooth motion?? Why is smooth motion considered a "bad" thing by most?
Because excessively smooth motion appears artificial. It's either the Clear or Smooth preset that manifests this most obviously. Many of us have become accustomed to filmic judder (inherent to 24 fps), and OLED seems to accentuate this likely due to its super fast response times.
RoadLizard likes this.
post #8826 of 12473 Old 01-12-2017, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...a-display.html (you will have to use the zoom in feature since they are in 1080p).
Thank you so much.
post #8827 of 12473 Old 01-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Because excessively smooth motion appears artificial. It's either the Clear or Smooth preset that manifests this most obviously. Many of us have become accustomed to filmic judder (inherent to 24 fps), and OLED seems to accentuate this likely due to its super fast response times.
I'm assuming by "artificial" you are talking from a film "purist" standpoint? I mean when I look around the room in real life, it's very smooth, not jerky. Not sure what is "artificial" about looking more "real" (that's kind of an oxymoron!)? Obviously, to each their own, but to me, anything that makes the movie look more life-like is a good thing. Basically, it just makes it look like it was filmed with a higher fps.. I can understand avoiding smooth motion if it generates all sorts of artifacts, but since the artifacts can now be avoided for the most part (with deblur=0 and higher de-judder settings), it looks more life-like than ever. Can you imagine watching a football game with the 24fps "judder"!? :-)

Like I said, to each their own, I was just trying to understand what was so bad about about smooth motion - if it can be obtained without introducing artifacts.

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk
mttpalmer likes this.
post #8828 of 12473 Old 01-12-2017, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quick question about HDMI ARC. I have the 65e6p. I have my soundbar hooked up via hdmi arc, and can only get sound to the soundbar with the optical/hdmi arc setting in the sound settings menu. I can't get sound bar plus tv speakers to work together. What am I missing? I just want to be able to watch TV with the tv speakers, but when I switch to Blu Ray be able to use the sound bar and turn down the tv speakers without having to change to the hdmi arc only audio setting in the menu. Minor deal, but when I was using an optical cable it worked fine that way, but new soundbar uses hdmi arc.
post #8829 of 12473 Old 01-12-2017, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I have another stupid question about HDR on the E6.

How come when HDR content is playing, the HDR Standard picture mode by default has the color gamut set to Normal?! I thought the whole point of HDR was to have a WIDE color gamut, right? Is there even any advantage to viewing HDR content with the color gamut set to Normal? I mean, even the Dolby Vision picture modes are all locked onto the color gamut setting to being Wide. You can't even change it. And that makes sense to me. But how come HDR is different in this case?

And btw, I settled on Move Dark for my preferred picture mode for Dolby Vision, since I almost always only watch movies in a dark room at night.
post #8830 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
I'm assuming by "artificial" you are talking from a film "purist" standpoint? I mean when I look around the room in real life, it's very smooth, not jerky. Not sure what is "artificial" about looking more "real" (that's kind of an oxymoron!)? Obviously, to each their own, but to me, anything that makes the movie look more life-like is a good thing......Like I said, to each their own, I was just trying to understand what was so bad about about smooth motion - if it can be obtained without introducing artifacts
For me, the problem is in some, not all, scenes you can feel like you are standing on set watching them make the movie, rather than watching the movie itself. It can be really immersion breaking.

But each to their own. If you like it, go for it.
post #8831 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm assuming by "artificial" you are talking from a film "purist" standpoint? I mean when I look around the room in real life, it's very smooth, not jerky. Not sure what is "artificial" about looking more "real" (that's kind of an oxymoron!)? Obviously, to each their own, but to me, anything that makes the movie look more life-like is a good thing. Basically, it just makes it look like it was filmed with a higher fps.. I can understand avoiding smooth motion if it generates all sorts of artifacts, but since the artifacts can now be avoided for the most part (with deblur=0 and higher de-judder settings), it looks more life-like than ever. Can you imagine watching a football game with the 24fps "judder"!? :-)

Like I said, to each their own, I was just trying to understand what was so bad about about smooth motion - if it can be obtained without introducing artifacts.
Biased expectations can come into play, but I have always had different expectations when watching TV versus observations in day-to-day life. These expectations likely help to sustain the suspension of disbelief (especially with more fiction-based content). It doesn't help that I find the SOE effect practically nauseating itself.
post #8832 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 02:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321a View Post
I have another stupid question about HDR on the E6.

How come when HDR content is playing, the HDR Standard picture mode by default has the color gamut set to Normal?! I thought the whole point of HDR was to have a WIDE color gamut, right? Is there even any advantage to viewing HDR content with the color gamut set to Normal? I mean, even the Dolby Vision picture modes are all locked onto the color gamut setting to being Wide. You can't even change it. And that makes sense to me. But how come HDR is different in this case?

And btw, I settled on Move Dark for my preferred picture mode for Dolby Vision, since I almost always only watch movies in a dark room at night.
Stupidly, the color gamut is mislabeled by LG and normal is actually the desired setting. For HDR, normal does mean "wide" or "enhanced". So, you are good.

For a dark room, I agree that Movie dark is a good choice. For any other viewing environment I like HDR standard.

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #8833 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
I tried out keeping deblur at 0 using only dejudder, just in case it was something I hadn't tried in the past. Even when dejudder is at 1 (or anything above that) and deblur is at 0 on my E6 I still get very bad artifacts. It's just as bad as with deblur at 10 and dejudder at anything above 0. On top of that it appears to me that the motion resolution is worse without any deblur.

Appreciate the thought though.

Turning it back on anyway made me realize how much I've gotten used to the regular 24p cinematic look again anyway, so I'm not too heartbroken. But it's still unfortunate that it causes artifacts.

Current: LG 77C9 OLED, Denon x6500H @ 7.2.4, Xbox One X, PC w. RTX2080ti
LG 55E6P OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)

Previous: LG 55" EF9500 OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)
post #8834 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcup View Post
I tried out keeping deblur at 0 using only dejudder, just in case it was something I hadn't tried in the past. Even when dejudder is at 1 (or anything above that) and deblur is at 0 on my E6 I still get very bad artifacts. It's just as bad as with deblur at 10 and dejudder at anything above 0. On top of that it appears to me that the motion resolution is worse without any deblur.

Appreciate the thought though.

Turning it back on anyway made me realize how much I've gotten used to the regular 24p cinematic look again anyway, so I'm not too heartbroken. But it's still unfortunate that it causes artifacts.
Interesting. I know at least one other user tried this and got the same results as I - much less artifacts. I can now keep de-judder at 5 and not see any major artifacts (and the same with the other person that tried it). I never had bad artifacts with de-judder at 1, but it didn't really do much to smooth things either.

What source are you using? So far, I've mainly tested with my Verizon FIOS source. In the past, I've found that I needed different settings for Netflix and UHD bluray (different than my FIOS settings). We're discussing this stuff further over in the OLED motion thread - maybe join us over there with some more details about your setup.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2711233

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk
post #8835 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6679 Post(s)
Liked: 6674
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceNaj View Post
Hello everyone, i want to check for dead subpixels on my G6. Can you please tell me where i can download color slides, red, blue & green?
Thanks.
I would suggest to use your TV as normal and see if you see anything in normal content, that is the best test. If you kill yourself chasing a perfect TV. To each his own though......
post #8836 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Netflix ultra hd

I'm a new B6 owner and new to 4k.

When using Netflix and selecting something that says it is ultra hd 4k shouldn't the TV display HDR somewhere?

In other words, how do I know I'm getting ultra hd? When I select "The OA" dolby pops up where it should.

I'm using the TV's netflix app with high speed internet and am paying for 4k.

Thanks.

wabamun
post #8837 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabamun View Post
I'm a new B6 owner and new to 4k.

When using Netflix and selecting something that says it is ultra hd 4k shouldn't the TV display HDR somewhere?

In other words, how do I know I'm getting ultra hd? When I select "The OA" dolby pops up where it should.

I'm using the TV's netflix app with high speed internet and am paying for 4k.

Thanks.
Not everything in 4KUltra HD is HDR. Most of Netflix has moved to Dolby Vision it seems. If a true HDR signal is sent to the TV it will popup a small window in the upper-right saying so. Then, it will switch to HDR picture mode as well.

So, if you select a 4K show it WILL be 4K but not neccessarily HDR. If you want to see what signal is being sent to your TV, take your magic remote and click in the upper left hand corner of the screen and it will show some data. Hope that helps.
RIppolito and 42LBX like this.

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #8838 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Nevermind. lol I just re-read his.

Just as Roadlizard said, many shows are in UHD 4K, but only a select handful right now are in HDR/Dolby Vision.

Chef's Table France
Ridiculous Six
Luke Cage
Daredevil S1
Jessica Jones
The OA
Marco Polo
Marco Polo One Hundred Eyes
The Do-Over

I think there are one or two more in HDR/DV but that's it.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1

Last edited by Aetherhole; 01-13-2017 at 11:06 AM.
post #8839 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is anyone using this Monoprice above fireplace mount with a 55" model?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15618

I'm afraid that the bracket will protrude below the TV.
post #8840 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 11:31 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Not everything in 4KUltra HD is HDR. Most of Netflix has moved to Dolby Vision it seems. If a true HDR signal is sent to the TV it will popup a small window in the upper-right saying so. Then, it will switch to HDR picture mode as well.

So, if you select a 4K show it WILL be 4K but not neccessarily HDR. If you want to see what signal is being sent to your TV, take your magic remote and click in the upper left hand corner of the screen and it will show some data. Hope that helps.
Very helpful. Thanks for the quick reply.

Cheers.

wabamun
post #8841 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
Nevermind. lol I just re-read his.

Just as Roadlizard said, many shows are in UHD 4K, but only a select handful right now are in HDR/Dolby Vision.

Chef's Table France
Ridiculous Six
Luke Cage
Daredevil S1
Jessica Jones
The OA
Marco Polo
Marco Polo One Hundred Eyes
The Do-Over

I think there are one or two more in HDR/DV but that's it.
Good information.

Thanks.

wabamun
post #8842 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I think this might be an important post for people who are thinking about buying the c6, although I'm not sure if the administrator will allow this to be read. In discussing this subject, I will not post the names of any businesses, and will hope that a generic description of my thinking will be allowed here.

I'd like to buy the 65" c6, perhaps for the same reasons that others may be considering it. It's apparently the last of the 3D models, seems to display a great OLED picture, and can be economically priced, depending on where you shop. But letters occasionally appear in this forum that lead me to believe that I'd be very wise to shop at a retailer who will allow a full refund of the purchase price in case of dissatisfaction. This matters to me, because I've never been able to see the c6, only the b6, and I've never been allowed to view anything but demo loops.

With the above in mind, I will list three retailers (#1 , #2 and #3 ) , listing their prices and customer satisfaction policies. After that I will give my opinion of what I'd like to do, and then ask readers here to be kind enough to offer any advice and opinions they would want to. For the record, all of these retailers have the highest rating possible for customer satisfaction. I've purchased from all of them at one time or another, and I've had only the best buying experience.

Store #1 -- Total purchase price (USD): $3,743.93. This store offers a 15-day money-back or exchange guarantee, with no conditions. If I try out the c6 and don't like it, I can return it with no money lost.

Store #2 -- Total purchase price: $2,999.00. They offer a 30-day customer satisfaction tryout period. To return the TV, however, will cost me about $150.

Store #3 -- Total purchase price: $2,650.00. At that price they will not allow returns. If problems develop with the TV it is the responsibility of LG to work with the customer to resolve issues. For those people who want to keep the TV, this is exactly the same policy as followed by all other retailers. I can easily understand prohibiting returns in this case, as there would be too much of a risk of financial loss at the prices they charge if they were forced to try to sell used merchandise.

With the above scenario in mind, I've crossed off store #1 immediately. But I've hardly ignored them. I've purchased numerous hardware and software items from them, and will in the future, but in this case it's a no-go. If I choose store 2, rather than 3, I will pay an extra $349 if I keep the TV. I don't mind losing money to return it, but keeping it will make me feel a bit uncomfortable, although probably only for a while.

As for store #3 , I bought a TV from them on one occasion and had prompt delivery and the best white-glove service possible. I would have bought from them immediately in this case, but I just haven't been able to test out the TV, and regard blind buying on this item as too risky.

My plan: I would like to call the salesperson at store #2 after hours, leaving a message that I would agree to pay $2,850. This probably wouldn't work, but I'd give it a shot. If that failed, and I was left with no way to purchase with any kind of customer reassurance of satisfaction, I think I'd just keep my 3D LED TV for another three years.

By all means, if you wish to weigh in on this and give me your advice and opinion, please feel free to do so. Thanks for all responses.
post #8843 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Value Electronics will check the panel out before they ship it to you.

For me, with OLED, I have a little distrust. If I don't have a way to return it, or have it inspected before it ships, for panel issues, I don't want it.

I overpaid for my EF9500 because of that reason. If it stunk, Best Buy would come get it.
post #8844 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Stupidly, the color gamut is mislabeled by LG and normal is actually the desired setting. For HDR, normal does mean "wide" or "enhanced". So, you are good.

For a dark room, I agree that Movie dark is a good choice. For any other viewing environment I like HDR standard.
Can you (or anyone) give a brief description on what they all mean?

Family Room
LG OLED65C6P, Denon AVRX2400H, Oppo 203, XBOX One S

Bedroom
TCL 55R615, Samsung UBD-K8500
post #8845 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
You should leave it in Normal for SDR and HDR, the display will handle on its own depending if it gets 709 or 2020.
korsjs, bavboym3 and RoadLizard like this.
post #8846 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
You should leave it in Normal for SDR and HDR, the display will handle on its own depending if it gets 709 or 2020.
Thanks.

Family Room
LG OLED65C6P, Denon AVRX2400H, Oppo 203, XBOX One S

Bedroom
TCL 55R615, Samsung UBD-K8500
post #8847 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korsjs View Post
Can you (or anyone) give a brief description on what they all mean?
What gadegtfreek said

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #8848 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
so what does everyone think of this email that LG sent out?

"Dear Customers

We would like to express our thanks to the user who has downloaded and used the LG TV Plus app.

Unfortunately, we would like to inform that, as of February 28, 2017, the application’s content related service will no longer be available due to our internal service operation policy.

Discontinued services

- Home (Content Discovery)
- TV Guide
- WishList (It will also be removed from My Page in the TV.)
- Universal Search
- Notices
*Please note that all personal information relevant and required to use the services above will be disposed of strictly in accordance with our personal information handling policy."
This is a concern to me we use the TV guide every day. I get my content through OTA so its great. Are they really just going to get rid of it? This was kinda a selling point as was WEBOS in general.
post #8849 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by twennywonn View Post
This is a concern to me we use the TV guide every day. I get my content through OTA so its great. Are they really just going to get rid of it? This was kinda a selling point as was WEBOS in general.
This stinks -- I just found this feature and was planning on getting it set up. Web based TV guides are easy enough I guess...
post #8850 of 12473 Old 01-13-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3824
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Unless, of course you have the OPPO 203 and use the Strip Metadata feature. It will send SDR2020, instead of HDR2020. This will trigger the tv to use the normal rec709 isf settings. If you leave color gamut at normal with SDR2020, it will look flat. You need to set it to WCG to expand the color gamut beyond rec709. Unfortunately using that experimental feature on the OPPO causes really bad color banding. Don't know if it's the OPPO or if the LG can not handle SDR2020 properly. I hope it's something on the OPPO side that can be fixed, because SDR2020 from a UHD disc with HDR stripped off still looks a lot better than regular blu ray. In fact, I prefer it over HDR.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D

Last edited by wxman; 01-13-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
ez-adj , lg oled , lgoled , reset , white balance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page