2016 LG OLEDs - G6, E6, C6, and B6 - Page 393 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41389Likes

post #11761 of 12473 Old 01-18-2018, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
2nd attempt at being the bringer of good news. Let's hope this is from a more reliable LG rep!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#57ba5a3762fa
Even if LG releases the patch for Dolby Vision HDMI content, I see myself out of luck unless that patch also fixes the elevated blacks and dark HDR game mode issues presented in the last few updates. My B6 is running on a much older firmware, since I never updated to the one that introduced issues with darker HDR game mode.

And I refuse to move from here just for the DV patch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11762 of 12473 Old 01-18-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanis38 View Post
Even if LG releases the patch for Dolby Vision HDMI content, I see myself out of luck unless that patch also fixes the elevated blacks and dark HDR game mode issues presented in the last few updates. My B6 is running on a much older firmware, since I never updated to the one that introduced issues with darker HDR game mode.

You never know, you might be lucky. I know nothing about this release, but SOMETIMES companies have fixes ready to go that miss the cutoff. Once they decide to do another update a few other goodies might sneak in.
post #11763 of 12473 Old 01-18-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanis38 View Post

yeah i'll be stuck too. i haven't updated to the firmware with HLG HDR (which i now need for directv 4k hdr) because i still have bright game mode. but i guess if they fixe the DV issues, i'll just have to bite the bullet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11764 of 12473 Old 01-18-2018, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin_H View Post
From the VUDU forums, I found that I'm not the only C6 owner with this ridiculous sound dropout issue using the built in VUDU app. Lots of C6 owners started noticing in late December that newer releases were having this issue that I am now experiencing. So far I have checked Blade Runner 2049 and Dunkirk. It happens on both. The only way to make it stop is to use the TV speakers or set the sound output to PCM instead of Auto which then only puts out a stereo signal instead of 5.1.

VUDU said they discovered the issue and it's on LG to fix it with a firmware update. I would use VUDU on my Apple TV 4K instead, but a lot of what I watch is Dolby Vision content and until LG implements the Dolby Vision HDMI fix for the elevated black levels in dark scenes, that's pointless. What a clusterf*ck it is just trying to navigate all these bugs and glitches.
I'm having this issue and was one of the first to post about it on Vudu's forums. If it's up to LG to issue a fix, then I fear it may be a long, long wait.

Unfortunately, the Vudu app on Apple TV does not support 4K/HDR/DV, so that is currently not a solution.
post #11765 of 12473 Old 01-18-2018, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post
I hope this is true, even though we should get more than 1.5 yrs of firmware support on the 2016 tvs, at least do what's right and fix what's been broken from the beginning. Especially considering how much we paid for these things.
Johnny is likely also repeating RUMORS (and mistranslations) about LG abandoning firmware updates for the 2016 models. I'm telling you, even the antique OLED from 2013, the 55EA9800, which uses an ancient customized OS (pre-WebOS) received a firmware update this year. Gotta love how a statement by a random Twitter user becomes fact on the interwebs and people just run with it, even so-called pros. Show me anywhere that an LG official claimed firmware support is coming to an end for 2016.
oldsteve and fhschellenberg like this.

Last edited by video_analysis; 01-18-2018 at 01:51 PM.
post #11766 of 12473 Old 01-18-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
Totally agree. I'm already starting to keep my eyes open for my next external app source once the TV's apps get left behind. I think we still have another year or so of app updates though.
The big 2 streaming daddy apps on the EA9800 (Netflix and Amazon) still work 5 years later. The feature updates have seemingly reached their end on these models (unfortunately, as the DV reference files still need to be incorporated), so all that's needed is basic maintenance. I'm going to file all this current worry under "tempest in a teacup."
post #11767 of 12473 Old 01-18-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
yeah i'll be stuck too. i haven't updated to the firmware with HLG HDR (which i now need for directv 4k hdr) because i still have bright game mode. but i guess if they fixe the DV issues, i'll just have to bite the bullet.
I'm stuck in this spot too, but with an E6. I like my game mode, thanks.

I also just found that I can't play "It" in Dolby Vision from any source. I'm guessing there's an issue with my old firmware.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
post #11768 of 12473 Old 01-18-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
I'm stuck in this spot too, but with an E6. I like my game mode, thanks.

I also just found that I can't play "It" in Dolby Vision from any source. I'm guessing there's an issue with my old firmware.
bummer. yeah i have e6 too rocking 04.31.00 beautiful hdr game.
post #11769 of 12473 Old 01-18-2018, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
bummer. yeah i have e6 too rocking 04.31.00 beautiful hdr game.
Sitting on the latest firmware, no issues with HDR games mode at all.

OLED is a game changer.
post #11770 of 12473 Old 01-18-2018, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, just bought one of the last 65' E6 on the market. Yesterday I activated Netflix on it and just like the Fire TV, Playstation 4 etc the video previews were playing when you highlight a movie or show and played automatically once you actually clicked and selected it (No need to click on the play or resume button)...but once I turned off the tv via the Xbox One that now I was setting up, the latest firmware update was installed.

Now the video previews won't show up, nor the autoresume or autoplay when selecting the title as before....is someone else experiencing this or it really had something to do with the latest tv software update affecting somehow the netflix app? I'll appreciate if someone can verify the previews work on their set. (Just to be clear, the spotlight half screen preview above the first row of titles is working, not the regular ones)
post #11771 of 12473 Old 01-19-2018, 02:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkknightEngel View Post
Hi guys, just bought one of the last 65' E6 on the market. Yesterday I activated Netflix on it and just like the Fire TV, Playstation 4 etc the video previews were playing when you highlight a movie or show and played automatically once you actually clicked and selected it (No need to click on the play or resume button)...but once I turned off the tv via the Xbox One that now I was setting up, the latest firmware update was installed.

Now the video previews won't show up, nor the autoresume or autoplay when selecting the title as before....is someone else experiencing this or it really had something to do with the latest tv software update affecting somehow the netflix app? I'll appreciate if someone can verify the previews work on their set. (Just to be clear, the spotlight half screen preview above the first row of titles is working, not the regular ones)
I can’t check until I get home today but I will and report back. Hopefully someone can help you before me! Make sure the Netflix app is fully updated too. Can’t hurt. Also, completely power down the TV and restart it too.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #11772 of 12473 Old 01-19-2018, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have the G6 and only recently realized I only have HDR on input 1 and 2 (when I purchased an Xbox)
I had no idea this was the case when I bought the Oled. Dealer never warned me.
Just assumed full 4K/DV HDR specs across all inputs.
So now I have an Oppo 4K player, an Appletv 4K and a new HDR Xbox X- that leaves one of my devices out in the cold.

How do you guys deal with this issue?

Also realized with Appletv settings- this tv doesn’t accept DV 60Hz...?
I don’t understand. What is the setting for Dolby Vision?

New firmware coming to fix these issues?

I’m beginning to regret the purchase
post #11773 of 12473 Old 01-19-2018, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The G6 (being the first 2016 model released) reached design maturation likely at the end of 2015, which is ancient by today's standards. My guess is those with a multitude of HDR devices are using a modern AVR with DV support (though I'm betting that number is small). From what I understand, the Sony A1E, a 2017 model, has a similar limitation concerning HDMI inputs. The inability to input at 60Hz could be a chipset limitation, though we can certainly hope that's not the case.

Last edited by video_analysis; 01-19-2018 at 03:58 AM.
post #11774 of 12473 Old 01-19-2018, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post
I have the G6 and only recently realized I only have HDR on input 1 and 2 (when I purchased an Xbox)
I had no idea this was the case when I bought the Oled. Dealer never warned me.
Just assumed full 4K/DV HDR specs across all inputs.
So now I have an Oppo 4K player, an Appletv 4K and a new HDR Xbox X- that leaves one of my devices out in the cold.

How do you guys deal with this issue?

Also realized with Appletv settings- this tv doesn’t accept DV 60Hz...?
I don’t understand. What is the setting for Dolby Vision?

New firmware coming to fix these issues?

I’m beginning to regret the purchase
Yes, that was always an odd thing about the G6. On the others all the ports are full HDMI2.0b/HDCP 2.2.

Many of us have AVRs. Mine has 7 fully compatible HDMI inputs. There is then just one output to the TV.

The DV thing was a big deal until the Apple TV update in December. Firmware will not be able to change this, I fear. Now, it's not such a big deal, though. I just set my ATV to SDR/2160p with "switch on framerate and range". Nearly all DV content (movies and TV drama) is 24fps anyway so, with those settings it can switch to and use DV/24fps, as needed. I'm actually not sure I know of any 60Hz DV stuff, although I'm sure it exists. There is only one 60Hz film I know of (Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk) and that's not DV.
post #11775 of 12473 Old 01-19-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Quote:

I can?t check until I get home today but I will and report back. Hopefully someone can help you before me! Make sure the Netflix app is fully updated too. Can?t hurt. Also, completely power down the TV and restart it too.

Thanks mate, I have already done that steps. I even installed Netflix again just in case, but it's still not showing the video previews. Looking forward to your results.
post #11776 of 12473 Old 01-19-2018, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcv View Post
I'm having this issue and was one of the first to post about it on Vudu's forums. If it's up to LG to issue a fix, then I fear it may be a long, long wait.

Unfortunately, the Vudu app on Apple TV does not support 4K/HDR/DV, so that is currently not a solution.
I fear you are correct. And what a pisser that ATV4K doesn't support 4K/HDR/DV for VUDU! Just can't win!
post #11777 of 12473 Old 01-19-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6684 Post(s)
Liked: 6680
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Johnny is likely also repeating RUMORS (and mistranslations) about LG abandoning firmware updates for the 2016 models. I'm telling you, even the antique OLED from 2013, the 55EA9800, which uses an ancient customized OS (pre-WebOS) received a firmware update this year. Gotta love how a statement by a random Twitter user becomes fact on the interwebs and people just run with it, even so-called pros. Show me anywhere that an LG official claimed firmware support is coming to an end for 2016.
I believe you, who know's for sure when a manufacturer will stop updating a product.....
post #11778 of 12473 Old 01-19-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks mate, I have already done that steps. I even installed Netflix again just in case, but it's still not showing the video previews. Looking forward to your results.
Yeah - Ill try around dinner time when I fire her up for the night.

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #11779 of 12473 Old 01-19-2018, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mine seem to be working......????

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #11780 of 12473 Old 01-19-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks mate, I have already done that steps. I even installed Netflix again just in case, but it's still not showing the video previews. Looking forward to your results. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Mine seem to be working......????
Well, mine doesn't. I don't know if it has anything to do that the latest Netflix update was installed on firmware 4.30.15 and then firmware 5.30.02 was applied after.
post #11781 of 12473 Old 01-19-2018, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 119
What's the general consensus on TruMotion for the LG E6? What are the best settings for it so it doesn't look like live TV (aka soap opera effect), but instead handles motion properly?

This is what I currently have, but would like your opinions:
post #11782 of 12473 Old 01-20-2018, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5402 Post(s)
Liked: 3824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post
What's the general consensus on TruMotion for the LG E6? What are the best settings for it so it doesn't look like live TV (aka soap opera effect), but instead handles motion properly?

This is what I currently have, but would like your opinions:
Use whatever setting you prefer. However, the correct setting for 5:5 cadence is RC on and TM off. Once you turn TM on you are using 3:2 cadence, and the higher the dejudder setting the more motion processing you are using and the more likely the artifacts.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #11783 of 12473 Old 01-20-2018, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post
Can anyone else confirm having the latest LG E6 firmware and not getting a dark image in HDR game mode? I always heard the latest E6 firmware (adding support for HLG) broke the HDR game mode setting, making everything darker and crushing black levels.
post #11784 of 12473 Old 01-20-2018, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post
Can anyone else confirm having the latest LG E6 firmware and not getting a dark image in HDR game mode? I always heard the latest E6 firmware (adding support for HLG) broke the HDR game mode setting, making everything darker and crushing black levels.
It did but you can combat it somewhat with DC on med/high and most newer games have hdr sliders. It will still appear darker (less screen brightness nits) but once you get used to it, it doesn?t matter much.

I haven?t updated my E6 but got a B7 for another room and have the dim game mode. At night it?s totally fine.
post #11785 of 12473 Old 01-20-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, mine doesn't. I don't know if it has anything to do that the latest Netflix update was installed on firmware 4.30.15 and then firmware 5.30.02 was applied after.
Just to be sure - you mean the large main previews that play "behind" the thumbnail icons of shows, right?

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #11786 of 12473 Old 01-20-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Just to be sure - you mean the large main previews that play "behind" the thumbnail icons of shows, right?

The previews that automatically play whenever you highlight a show, and the autoplay/autoresume when you actually click ok on the show, and the description/episodes, trailers etc vanishes while autoplaying.
I have attached 2 pictures to show you where it should autoplay as before. (The only videopreview that is working is the one you get as a spotlight show once you launch netflix)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180120_110614_1516469408112.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2348616   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180120_110432_1516469439495.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2348618  
post #11787 of 12473 Old 01-20-2018, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HDR/HLG on Directv

Can anyone confirm they can get the HLG/HDR to “light up” watching the Diectv channels? I have the latest firmware for me C6 so I thought it should work but I’m only getting 4K.
post #11788 of 12473 Old 01-20-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpie View Post
Can anyone confirm they can get the HLG/HDR to “light up” watching the Diectv channels? I have the latest firmware for me C6 so I thought it should work but I’m only getting 4K.
It shows up on my E6. I have the Genie 2 with the 4k minis.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #11789 of 12473 Old 01-20-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpie View Post
Can anyone confirm they can get the HLG/HDR to ?light up? watching the Diectv channels? I have the latest firmware for me C6 so I thought it should work but I?m only getting 4K.

Hey man, since you have an E6, can you help into verifying as well if your Netflix app on the tv is showing video previews once you highlight a show and autoplays once you click ok on it? (The description of the show should vanish as the show autoplays without clicking play or resume on it)
post #11790 of 12473 Old 01-20-2018, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I reset my client and it downloaded an update. HLG mode immediately activated. I am such an idiot. I just assumed it would have downloaded automatically any updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
ez-adj , lg oled , lgoled , reset , white balance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page