2016 LG OLEDs - G6, E6, C6, and B6 - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41387Likes

post #2671 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I guess the HDR adjustments made to your TV are dependent on the metadata piggybacked on the stream. They can be different in case of a bluray as the standard is evolving...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4285 Post(s)
Liked: 5236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
So this is not a continually variable control, but rather a 'low, mid, high' adjustment?
Correct but you can also go into the picture setting for that HDR mode and change any setting that you want in a continually variable control as you say. What I discovered yesterday is that the G6 had several HDR specific picture modes that you can set independently and it also seems that the meta data triggers one mode or another based on my testing yesterday. The Martian on the Samsung 8500 triggered HDR Vivid and Amazon HDR triggered HDR Standard.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #2673 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There's only one problem, you really don't know how the director intended Mad Dogs to look. Just as with shows like Hawaii Five O, the intent may have been to present an oversaturated 'look'. Stylizing a show's look is not unusual and thus, even on a perfectly calibrated display, colors might look oversaturated.

I actually found Mad Dogs to be the best HDR I've yet seen, exceeding (from an HDR standpoint) the three 4K Blu Rays I've seen thus far. It was real eye candy.
Well I guess to each their own because Mad Dogs looks totally oversaturated to me and many others to the point that I couldn't watch it without turning down the color significantly. But nevertheless, the point I was making was that the new LG E6 which was designed with HDR in mind played Mad Dogs correctly and it "appears" that the older sets like the Samsung JS9500 and older that can read the meta data play the same title differently.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
I take it you didn't have a device that had VUDU with DV content. It'll be interesting to see how those titles look on the G6.
Actually I do so next time, I go over to Value Electronics, i'll try that thanks
Yappadappadu likes this.

John
post #2675 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Well I guess to each their own because Mad Dogs looks totally oversaturated to me and many others to the point that I couldn't watch it without turning down the color significantly. But nevertheless, the point I was making was that the new LG E6 which was designed with HDR in mind played Mad Dogs correctly and it "appears" that the older sets like the Samsung JS9500 and older that can read the meta data play the same title differently.
Mad Dogs is the best HDR I've seen. It's overly pastel looking at times, but I think it's supposed to look that way. It takes place in a tropical paradise after all. Samsung has always looked over saturated to me so I'm guessing using Samsung as a HDR reference would make most TVs look tame by comparison.
post #2676 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
You're removing a patterned polarizer when you get rid of 3D. Everyone who wishes to believe this will have zero effect on brightness is perfectly entitled to do so.
Yep. Clarification though, talking about watching 2D on a 3D TV....broadly speaking, this depends on the display tech.

For watching 2D on a Passive-LCD, this could be handled by simply ramping the backlight (or installing bigger ones). The interesting thing here is that the CR roughly remains static, and the ranges do as well: The top raises along with the bottom, both of which are dampened by the FPR, resulting in similar brightness range in 2D.

Passive-OLED (OLED models are the subject of this thread), have ranges that are already maxed out and cannot be simply ramped further.
post #2677 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I actually never enjoyed sitting off to the side, even when I owned plasmas or CRTs. That's why the center seats at a theater are among the most coveted.
Most viewers probably prefer the centre spot but with LCD/LED you don't have a choice
post #2678 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 1922
Quote:
I actually never enjoyed sitting off to the side, even when I owned plasmas or CRTs. That's why the center seats at a theater are among the most coveted.
I know very few people who do enjoy sitting off axis Ken, but in some Home Theater set-ups (like mine) there are "wing chairs" and if you have more than three people a couple of them will have to sit in those wing chairs; in other words, way off axis.
Ken Ross and wensteph like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #2679 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6404 Post(s)
Liked: 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
I agree, I had replaced a JS9500 with an EF9500 and despite having less than half the max brightness I thought they were pretty much equal except for on a full white field. Even half white field it was bright enough that I couldn't tell the difference.
In the end if you crank up the brightness on the EF9500 you will need sunglasses to watch it in some viewing situations........
Stanton likes this.
post #2680 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Yep. Clarification though, talking about watching 2D on a 3D TV....broadly speaking, this depends on the display tech.

For watching 2D on a Passive-LCD, this could be handled by simply ramping the backlight (or installing bigger ones). The interesting thing here is that the CR roughly remains static, and the ranges do as well: The top raises along with the bottom, both of which are dampened by the FPR, resulting in similar brightness range in 2D.

Passive-OLED (OLED models are the subject of this thread), have ranges that are already maxed out and cannot be simply ramped further.
But isn't the entire point we *are* talking about OLED? And we can't ramp them up and so therefore there *will be* a difference?

I'm not discussing LEDs because (1) they are plenty bright (2) this is a thread about LG OLEDs (3) it's against the rules to talk about anything else in this thread.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #2681 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I know very few people who do enjoy sitting off axis Ken, but in some Home Theater set-ups (like mine) there are "wing chairs" and if you have more than three people a couple of them will have to sit in those wing chairs; in other words, way off axis.

Mine also. And since I am a good host, it is generally me.
djoberg likes this.
post #2682 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
You are assuming the polarizer has been removed, and that is a big assumption...

No, you only need to assume that the polarizer is not something that has to be removed from the screen assembly but rather applied to it at some point. Then all that needs to happen is to skip that step.

If you want to be paranoid, you can speculate that all screens are made with polarizers and the ones with faulty / imperfect polarizer or polarizer application are used as B6. This doesn't seem like a good way to ensure meeting B6 production target. Or maybe they are all the same but the B6 just have 3D disabled internally. This is wasteful and will encourage people to hack their TV to unlock 3D (I'm assuming they're not bothering to make separate 2D-only processors).

But Occam says the LG rep is right and B6=no polarizer. Sales reps make up stuff all the time, but this one sounds right.

The B6 is potentially the cheapest and best 2D display in the lineup. Or that's what I'm telling myself
rogo likes this.
post #2683 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
But isn't the entire point we *are* talking about OLED? And we can't ramp them up and so therefore there *will be* a difference?

I'm not discussing LEDs because (1) they are plenty bright (2) this is a thread about LG OLEDs (3) it's against the rules to talk about anything else in this thread.
Ah yes, thanks for the reminder. I just brought it up because of this concept of the brightness being decreased over in the recent 3D thread (as some kind of indictment toward 3D tech as a whole).
fhschellenberg likes this.

Last edited by DrDon; 03-03-2016 at 01:57 PM.
post #2684 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
So has anyone actually gotten one of these?

I thought the G6/E6 was supposed to be available on the 29th of Feb.?
post #2685 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Pretty sure you'll see the posts when that happens.
greenland likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #2686 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Pretty sure you'll see the posts when that happens.
If you just got a new G6 would you be spending your time on here?! lol
DrDon and shyguy3763 like this.
post #2687 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
If you just got a new G6 would you be spending your time on here?! lol
Of course he would be here too. The first arrivals will be reported in ever deeper detail.
Nugget, DrDon and shyguy3763 like this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #2688 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:

I thought the G6/E6 was supposed to be available on the 29th of Feb.?
Delays are inevitable. March 7th is the point at which they become available to Value Electronics, so you have to assume there are a few other boutique stores that will receive them at the same time. For those purchasers who are active here, it sounds like they will be receiving them via shipment from VE. Let's be conservative and say it takes a week to ship to them (not knowing their particular whereabouts). That means you shouldn't get your hopes up seeing owner reports until March 14th.
post #2689 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Of course he would be here too. The first arrivals will be reported in ever deeper detail.
Definitely. I'm going to take a day off and go nuts when my E6 arrives
post #2690 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
No, you only need to assume that the polarizer is not something that has to be removed from the screen assembly but rather applied to it at some point. Then all that needs to happen is to skip that step.

If you want to be paranoid, you can speculate that all screens are made with polarizers and the ones with faulty / imperfect polarizer or polarizer application are used as B6. This doesn't seem like a good way to ensure meeting B6 production target. Or maybe they are all the same but the B6 just have 3D disabled internally. This is wasteful and will encourage people to hack their TV to unlock 3D (I'm assuming they're not bothering to make separate 2D-only processors).

But Occam says the LG rep is right and B6=no polarizer. Sales reps make up stuff all the time, but this one sounds right.

The B6 is potentially the cheapest and best 2D display in the lineup. Or that's what I'm telling myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
In the end if you crank up the brightness on the EF9500 you will need sunglasses to watch it in some viewing situations........
So, to say explicitly what you've implied, if 2015 OLED with polarizer is very bright, and 2016 OLED's are even brighter, does it matter if the B6 is brighter than the C/E/G6? I suppose if you're watching Sunday afternoon football in your sunroom?

Seems like a moot point to me. I don't see someone wanting the 3D, or the picture on glass, or the enhanced sound bar, but then deciding to go with the B6 because it's brighter.
post #2691 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am very interested in these LG OLED sets esspcially after seeing the 2015 versions at Best Buy. Amazing picture quality compared (IMO) to the LED tvs.

My biggest disappointment is the hideous speaker/sound bar on these otherwise sleek and sexy tvs... I would have preferred every one of their 2016 tvs to exclude any soundbar speaker as I would prefer to bring my own.
Desk., dr0z77 and tjcinnamon like this.
post #2692 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 93
OLED = mature 3D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Great to hear this, but it is also infuriating. If this level of 3D were commonplace years ago (no, not simply "passive", but this OLED passive), the world would be less likely to live without 3D TVs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dr View Post
As far as the 3D talk goes, yes, it's the real deal with OLED. I hated 3D, but my basically flawless 65EF9500 made me purchase all new, and some past blu-rays in 3D. It is legit. If it only was the story years back, things maybe different now with the stance on 3D in the market.
There is always a cost to being an early adopter of any technology, it has taken a some time for Active 3D and Passive 3D to mature in the home market. It is ironic that OLED TVs seem to be the best implementation of 3D just now that LED TV manufacturers are retreating from and removing it from many product lines. There are other technologies for home 3D, but nothing in the market yet.

Will 2016 LG OLED owners feel the same way with UHD Blu-ray, HDR10, and HDR-Dolby Vision? Time will tell, but they will all certainly fall into the early adopter category. I think there is an opportunity cost to waiting for cheap perfection as well. :~)
post #2693 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
It's pretty obvious all four SKUs are made differently. Two use the "OLED on glass" design. Those are clearly different.

The other two are either curved or not. I'm assuming on the "not" ones, the polarizer is never added.

Given that eventually ~90% of the displays coming off the line are going to be that SKU, I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption at all.

Yes, correct. Not at all a related concept, but absolutely correct.

Adding a step to physical manufacturing adds a great deal of complexity and cost.

[BI'll take my bet[/B].
Well, it appears that I lost my bet with you regarding the R65 pricing, so I've learned to be a bit more cautious in tangling with your judgement .

That being said, there is significant engineering leverage in having the full 2016 OLED lineup share picture quality fundamentals - any savings from skipping the polarizer on the B6 would probably be more than wiped out by the additional engineering required to make the B6 deliver HDR to the same quality they have developed for the G6, E6 and C6.

Assuming that LGD delivers the OLED panels pre-mounted on glass and with 3D polarizes applied (or not ), then there must already be 3 distinct SKUs due to the curved screen of the C6, as you point out.

But if the polarizes are applied earlier in the manufacturing pipeline and before the OLED substrate is attached to glass, the increased complexity/cost argument stands.

LG has little/nothing to gain by skipping the polarizer other than increased peak brightness on the B6 (which also risks implying that the G6, E6 and C6 are not bright enough).

When we see specs touting increased peak brightness on the B6, I'll acknowledge that you were right and I was wrong (yet again ). Until then, I'm reserving judgement.
post #2694 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Someone please show me pricing of a B6 for somewhere under $4500 or so and I'll sign the check!
tjcinnamon likes this.

My Name is Nobody...
Klipsch x11i - Klipsch x20i - Oppo HA2
Pioneer SC85 - Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch La Scala II - Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio - Klipsch RC64II - SW-115
Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse - OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #2695 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
Someone please show me pricing of a B6 for somewhere under $4500 or so and I'll sign the check!
I'm with you. I think we may need to wait until September or so to see that price....but that matches up with the 4k Oppo, so that's good for me.
post #2696 of 12467 Old 03-03-2016, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 1922
Quote:
You'll sign the check for MY B6?
MSchu18 likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #2697 of 12467 Old 03-04-2016, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
You'll sign the check for MY B6?

My Name is Nobody...
Klipsch x11i - Klipsch x20i - Oppo HA2
Pioneer SC85 - Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch La Scala II - Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio - Klipsch RC64II - SW-115
Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse - OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #2698 of 12467 Old 03-04-2016, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 93
If I purchase this OLED, I would go with the E6. Also, may need to manufacture some sort of speaker cover for the sound bar. It’s a bit distracting just from looking at the pictures and would rather it just be ‘blacked’ out. Not even going to use the sound bar, anyways, as I already have surround sound set up.
post #2699 of 12467 Old 03-04-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Totally understand that sentiment.

But I'm willing to spend $1000 extra to get 3D, and I'm also willing to spend an additional $1000 to get rid of that @#$%ing curve of the C6.

"That's called trouble with the curve." <----I loved that movie.
post #2700 of 12467 Old 03-04-2016, 07:47 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 6404 Post(s)
Liked: 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by avrookey View Post
So, to say explicitly what you've implied, if 2015 OLED with polarizer is very bright, and 2016 OLED's are even brighter, does it matter if the B6 is brighter than the C/E/G6? I suppose if you're watching Sunday afternoon football in your sunroom?
If a room has that much light, no TV set will do a good job in that situation. Just because one is a little brighter than another will not make that situation better. Either way it will not look good.
jrref likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
ez-adj , lg oled , lgoled , reset , white balance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page