Sony Backlight Master Drive Technology - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 4 Post By rogo
  • 1 Post By ALMA
  • 1 Post By 8mile13
  • 1 Post By video_analysis
  • 2 Post By nathanddrews

post #1 of 19 Old 01-06-2016, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
Sony Backlight Master Drive Technology

According Sony it combines the deep blacks of OLED panels with 4000 nits of peak brightness. The technology incorporates more than 1000 Local Dimming zones of high-desity LED backlighting and other techniques to deliver high dynamic range (HDR). In real world environments, consumers won't see a difference between OLED's black levels and Master Drive's black levels.
http://www.twice.com/news/tv/sony-ma...play-ces/59969

Sony Backlight Master Drive Technology Prototype

Sony Slim Backlight Drive Technology
which is also mentioned in the previous clip, uses a unique grid array local dimming backlight structure to distribute the backlight source more precisely to each specific zone of the screen while maintaining a slim display.. Only the X930D Edge Lit uses this technology.

Sony (75 inch X940D) FALD is also slimmer than in previous years photo's
http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-elec...range-tv-line/

Last edited by 8mile13; 01-09-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-06-2016, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Cool to see Sony with another prototype of a product they almost certainly have no intention of ever producing. Very exciting.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #3 of 19 Old 01-06-2016, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Nothing new here. 2010 the Toshiba XZ1 has in 55"! 512 dimming zones and peak brightness of 1000cd/m². So it seems 1000 zones for I guess, a 75" panel with near 3 times the area of 55", is not really spectacular and even the Toshiba was not OLED quality. FALD LCD will still remain the same issues about discoloration because of limited sweet spot, even at front viewing. How bigger the screen and closer the viewing distance, than bigger the issue and for viewing angle the often used VA panels in Sony LCDs are even worse than this IPS panel.

video_analysis likes this.

Last edited by ALMA; 01-06-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-07-2016, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
LG must be laughing at the bravado.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-07-2016, 04:33 AM
KOF
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Cool to see Sony with another prototype of a product they almost certainly have no intention of ever producing. Very exciting.
Uh huh. On one hand, they are flaunting 1000 zones of hot (physically) and thick electronic gizmo designed to appeal nerds and nerds only. On the other hand, their actual shipping products are prioritizing thinness yet again. Fitting their prototype's name is "Backlight Master Drive" while their consumer products are called "Slim Master Drive"
post #6 of 19 Old 01-07-2016, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMA View Post
Nothing new here. 2010 the Toshiba XZ1 has in 55"! 512 dimming zones and peak brightness of 1000cd/m². So it seems 1000 zones for I guess, a 75" panel with near 3 times the area of 55", is not really spectacular and even the Toshiba was not OLED quality. FALD LCD will still remain the same issues about discoloration because of limited sweet spot, even at front viewing. How bigger the screen and closer the viewing distance, than bigger the issue and for viewing angle the often used VA panels in Sony LCDs are even worse than this IPS panel.

https://youtu.be/KTDoAhWCBDQ?t=528
Like i said somewere else, someone who has seen the LCd said that the TV's light output was hurting his eyes yet the blacks remain black. Don't think that we have seen that before..FALD thickness is also something manufacturers have been struggling with for years, Slim Backlight Drive seems to have solved that issue.
mo949 likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-07-2016, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
As impressive as the numbers are, and they really are, I'm not sure what extra of value is brought to the table by making taking a very bright number and increasing it even more to where viewers would actually mention that the output was hurting their eyes. Making FALD slim, that seems to be the real news here.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-07-2016, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
According HDGURU, the main function of the prototype was to demonstrate the Backlight Master Drive technology which will be included in some models this year.
http://hdguru.com/sony-reveals-bravia-4k-hdr-tvs-2016/
post #9 of 19 Old 01-07-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
According HDGURU, the main function of the prototype was to demonstrate the Backlight Master Drive technology which will be included in some models this year.
http://hdguru.com/sony-reveals-bravia-4k-hdr-tvs-2016/
Let me get this straight then...

Sony, which keeps making one, single model of full array TV every year in a giant size at an astronomical price, intends to make a 1000-zone backlight unit for "several models" this year?

Color me skeptical.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #10 of 19 Old 01-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Preditor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Saw Sony's demo yesterday at CES, was a mixed bag - the scenes (don't know the movie) inside the helicopter very nice, but when it cut away to the outside (and the comparison picture of what I'm sure was a dumbed down display to make the tech look better), was an overly bright and blown out (IMO) image.

All this HDR stuff, and again, my opinion, great for photo, mixed bag for video. Welcome to blown whites and crushed blacks, at least with all the demos I saw.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-07-2016, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let me get this straight then...

Sony, which keeps making one, single model of full array TV every year in a giant size at an astronomical price, intends to make a 1000-zone backlight unit for "several models" this year?

Color me skeptical.
.. well. that is what HDGURU says..send them a mail.. Tom's Guide has a different story..They stated that sony has no immediate plans to incorporate the technology into its TVs, or take a stab at how much doing so might cost (Company representatives explained that it's investigating the technology as one possible way to offer consumers something on the level of OLED screens, and push the boundaries of what LCD screens can accomplish).
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/experime...ews-22076.html

..so..being honest, folks at sony do not think that even their best LCd's are on the level of OLED screens
post #12 of 19 Old 01-07-2016, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
They made some of the first OLEDs, so they should know that.
Magnesus likes this.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-07-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
.. well. that is what HDGURU says..send them a mail.. Tom's Guide has a different story..They stated that sony has no immediate plans to incorporate the technology into its TVs, or take a stab at how much doing so might cost (Company representatives explained that it's investigating the technology as one possible way to offer consumers something on the level of OLED screens, and push the boundaries of what LCD screens can accomplish).
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/experime...ews-22076.html

..so..being honest, folks at sony do not think that even their best LCd's are on the level of OLED screens
I'm going to just go with Tom's here and skip my e-mail to Gary saying, "WTF Gary, why did you post such nonsense?"

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

post #14 of 19 Old 01-08-2016, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
They made some of the first OLEDs, so they should know that.
I still remember the DAY that I set up the demo of the XEL-1 at Best Buy. We ran a continuous loop of Disney's Dinosaur Blu-ray on it (even though the display was only 960x540 or something). I remember thinking that I would wait until it was discontinued and then try to buy it using my discount, but then when it was finally discontinued, the price didn't drop and we had to send them all back to Sony.

This guy is still using one as a PC display 9 years later:
Magnesus and rgb32 like this.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Sony's main TV rep handled the question pretty well:

Sports Car == A1E (OLED)
Luxury Car == Z9D
post #16 of 19 Old 01-11-2017, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post
https://youtu.be/BdP-jNAf_oY?t=3339

Sports Car == A1E (OLED)
Luxury Car == Z9D
Which question?
post #17 of 19 Old 01-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Which question?
"HDR content looks pretty good on that OLED TV?"

Your statement I quoted begs the same question in ways is all. Sony's PR response pretty much states that OLED and LCD both have their pros and cons.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-11-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
https://youtu.be/BdP-jNAf_oY?t=3339

Sports Car == A1E (OLED)
Luxury Car == Z9D
So, with that analogy, is it safe to say that the A1E will outperform the Z9D? Because in my experience is sports cars are built for performance, whereas luxury cars are built to include all the bells and whistles, usually with pretty good performance (but still behind a true sports car).

Seriously, the Z9D is not an OLED killer and the OLEDs are not a Z9D killer. Two different sets for different people with varying preferences. Both have their place and market; both have their inherent technological drawbacks.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #19 of 19 Old 01-11-2017, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"HDR content looks pretty good on that OLED TV?"

Your statement I quoted begs the same question in ways is all.
That statement i made is the logical consequence of a Sony statement which was ''Sony wants to offer consumers something on the level of OLED screens'' In other words all Sony LCd TVs prior to the ZD9 are not on the level of OLED screens according Sony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32
Sony's PR response pretty much states that OLED and LCD both have their pros and cons.
Folks high -up in the Sony hierachy, CEO/president Sony Electronics claim that the ZD9 is better at doing HDR than the A1E OLED, that is why the ZD9 is the 2017 flagship ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page