Have 9-year old Panasonic Plasma: Will I Be Disappointed if I go LED? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By video_analysis
  • 1 Post By NintendoManiac64
  • 1 Post By videobruce

post #1 of 15 Old 02-07-2016, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Smile Have 9-year old Panasonic Plasma: Will I Be Disappointed if I go LED?

I have a TH-42PE77U that is going strong after almost a decade. I have been contemplating buying an LED tv for a few years, but I have been apprehensive since I am worried that if I don't spend enough on the new tv, I will be disappointed. Obviously, my tv is thicker is all dimensions and perhaps the sound is way better than what would come out of a tiny frame modern tv. Because I am cheap and cautious, I have not bought anything.

The tv has a big scratch on the screen where my son scraped it with a sword, but realistically you can't see the scratch when the tv is on - only when it is turned off. It is a major power hog: eats 387 watts according to the label, and that is irksome. It is only 1080i, and I don't know how much 1080p would change my experience. I don't have cable and watch mostly netflix off a Roku 3 box. I do watch sports via an antenna, and I don't ever see motion trails. My picture is pretty solid: I do see major posterization in very dark areas of netflix picture, and I don't know whether a newer tv would less posterization. I have 180 Mbps download speed internet, so I have great internet speed if I wanted to pay for the ultra high netflix delivery option.

Everything that I read talks about refresh rate and warns against anything less than 120z actual; it seems that the plasma tv's don't have this issue of motion trails. If I were to pick a tv to buy now, I would be tempted to get a Visio M series. Even though Samsung has "the name" it seems that some of their models are pretty mediocre yet sell for a pretty penny.

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-07-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Since you have a 9-year-old plasma (meaning you don't upgrade often), forgo your cheapness this one time, add an "O" to the front of that, and splurge a little with LG. Samsung just spends a lot of advertising dollars to convince you a curve is necessary and that bright is always better. Don't succumb to it.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-09-2016, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I want to point out you didn't mention if you watched TV in a well lit room or in the dark? You did mention kids so I would think you live in the light side of life and don't have your house as dark as the bat cave to watch TV.
I would not have been able to say this just a few years ago but the price of LCD,LED FALD have fallen fast.
If you have bright lite in your viewing area, then you can choose LCD with FALD. The FALD while not perfect, will give you great blacks when you get time away from the kids and can turn down the lights.
Another point is TV size, with LCD you can go to a lager size TV. Philips is coming out with a 65 in LCD,4K,QDOT,WCG,HDR,HDMI 2.0a and FALD with a retail price at 1699.00. One of the Chinese makers is coming out with a 75 inch LCD for 1699.00 retail. Don't forget Vizio came out with a really good 70 inch 4K,FALD,LCD two years ago and it sold for around two grand.
Don't be afraid of the Chinese brand because they make a lot of the high end TV'S, besides you can buy a extended warranty for 5 years and maybe by that time OLED prices will come down to earth!(50,000.00 for a 77 inch OLED?)

Last edited by 6athome; 02-09-2016 at 03:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-09-2016, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Research revealed your current tv is 720p capable of receiving up to a 1080p signal. It will scale down both 1080i and 1080p to 720p. It also would seem that the speakers on the side of your set are possibly better than on most tv's. If you do end up getting the Vizio M series, which is a well-spoken of set, I would consider either a sound bar or two good bookshelf speakers coupled with a little amp for audio. Also, bear in mind that the Vizio M series does not support HDR, which adds considerably more of a viewing upgrade than the resolution upgrade you get with UHD. Also, it is generally recommended that you go with as big a tv as you can afford and accommodate. You mentioned that you get posterization in very dark scenes streaming Netflix. Have you ever watched a blu-ray on your tv? Does it posterize in dark scenes? If it doesn't, then you may want to check the settings on your Roku. That's my two cents. Take it with however many grains of salt you like. Good luck with your decision.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-09-2016, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Since you have a 9-year-old plasma (meaning you don't upgrade often), forgo your cheapness this one time, add an "O" to the front of that, and splurge a little with LG. Samsung just spends a lot of advertising dollars to convince you a curve is necessary and that bright is always better. Don't succumb to it.
If I was a frugal TV buyer, I would not purchase an OLED if there's any likelihood of accidents with a sword.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-09-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
Any new UHD TV will be a big upgrade over what you have. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-09-2016, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
FWIW, I just upgraded from a 7 year old LG 720p 50" Plasma to an LG 65UF9500 LED. I needed a wide viewing angle, so I went with an IPS panel assuming that the lack of contrast wouldn't be that much of an issue because our room is always bright. First thing my wife said was "Is it me, or did the old TV look better?". After a week of messing around with settings, I brought it back. If viewing angle is not a problem, maybe a FALD LED set would work, but even going from 720p to 4K was not enough to overcome the issues with an IPS LED set for me. I have an OLED on order from Cleveland Plasma, and currently have the 28" cheapie TCL from our bedroom in the livingroom until the OLED shows up. I need binoculars to see it.

Moral of the story: Don't look a perfectly good Plasma in the mouth.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Gray View Post
FWIW, I just upgraded from a 7 year old LG 720p 50" Plasma to an LG 65UF9500 LED. I needed a wide viewing angle, so I went with an IPS panel assuming that the lack of contrast wouldn't be that much of an issue because our room is always bright. First thing my wife said was "Is it me, or did the old TV look better?". After a week of messing around with settings, I brought it back. If viewing angle is not a problem, maybe a FALD LED set would work, but even going from 720p to 4K was not enough to overcome the issues with an IPS LED set for me. I have an OLED on order from Cleveland Plasma, and currently have the 28" cheapie TCL from our bedroom in the livingroom until the OLED shows up. I need binoculars to see it.

Moral of the story: Don't look a perfectly good Plasma in the mouth.
any LCD will be terrible if not viewed straight, OLED will be nice upgrade but still very expensive anything above 55 inch, I upgraded my Panasonic plasma (720P) to JS9000 Samsung TV (mainly because of bright room) i also own St60 Panasonic Plasma which still beat best 1080p LCDs. 4K is way better though. I would get an OLED if money is not an issue, for me it me OLED does not justify its price yet.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-10-2016, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
You will be disappointed if you get an LCD with LED backlight.

You will likely be thrilled if you go OLED.

I went from a ten year-old 50" Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY to a 65" LG 65EF9500 OLED and am thrilled at the change, where every LCD set I've ever seen has been disappointing in some way or another, usually in very poor reproduction of black or in haloing of bright images.

People here like to throw around "very expensive" for OLED, but my 65" OLED wasn't much more than my 50" Panasonic plasma was when I bought it.

Last edited by kucharsk; 02-10-2016 at 03:41 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-10-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
If you are spending close to $2k don't bother getting an lcd, get yourself one of these and call it day. You will not be disappointed. Or give Cleaveland plasma a call for a ef9500 for $650 more than the eg9100. If you are on a budget than yeah go get a cheap lcd. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_...igLink-2470763

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #11 of 15 Old 02-10-2016, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Because I'm OCD, here's the same product on the same website but with a much shorter URL:
https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=14905
Latinoheat likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-11-2016, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
It is a major power hog: eats 387 watts according to the label, and that is irksome.
But, just think what a great 'space heater' it is.
See The Light likes this.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #13 of 15 Old 02-11-2016, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
Because I'm OCD, here's the same product on the same website but with a much shorter URL:
https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=14905
Here's a shorter one for your disorder

Edit: I guess AVS doesn't allow Google's URL shortener links....nvm
post #14 of 15 Old 08-01-2019, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman4 View Post
Research revealed your current tv is 720p capable of receiving up to a 1080p signal. It will scale down both 1080i and 1080p to 720p.

1st Question:

I am assisting a friend with his Panasonic Viera TH-42PE7U. He got it in 2007. He's thinking about getting a Roku for it. The online manual does not specifically say that all input signals of 1080 would automatically be down scaled to 720p. Is that right??

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/36...page=42#manual

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/television/o...pe77_en_om.pdf

2nd Question... Have there been any updates for this TV that can be uploaded somehow??

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!

Last edited by See The Light; 08-01-2019 at 05:56 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-02-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post
1st Question:

I am assisting a friend with his Panasonic Viera TH-42PE7U. He got it in 2007. He's thinking about getting a Roku for it. The online manual does not specifically say that all input signals of 1080 would automatically be down scaled to 720p. Is that right??

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/36...page=42#manual

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/television/o...pe77_en_om.pdf

2nd Question... Have there been any updates for this TV that can be uploaded somehow??
It appears the native resolution is 1024x768 of that panel, so it scales all input resolutions in interesting ways.

I sure wish manuals for new TVs were that detailed.

Only firmware update for it was for the tuner from what I can find.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page