2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87546Likes

post #3991 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
That's an alarming rate and I wish LG would clarify if it's fixable with firmware. It could require a hardware fix.
Yes I agree. I need to call support and see what they say. I don't want to get my panel calibrated and pay that kind of $$$ if I am going to have to get the panel replaced...

LG 65E6P
Pioneer 5020FD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloFellow13 View Post
Yes I agree. I need to call support and see what they say. I don't want to get my panel calibrated and pay that kind of $$$ if I am going to have to get the panel replaced...
I wouldn't trust anything support says, even if you call the direct VIP support line they are generally clueless. They've been claiming the dark edges on the EF9500/EG9600 have been fixed for ages now and they have not. I *just* swapped my EF9500 panel out because they assured me the issue was fixed, and the problem is now even worse.

I'd definitely avoid pro calibration until we know for sure what's causing it.
post #3993 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 07:39 AM

On a similar topic, does the Costco SquareTrade warranty require you to be a Costco member? Or can I just buy it online without needing to have an annual membership?

LG 65E6P
Pioneer 5020FD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3994 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 626
What settings are people using on the e6 for gaming on the ps4?
post #3995 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I watched a little 3D last night (part of Ice Age 3) - stunning and flawless!

Still haven't seen a white flash.
AB4OLED likes this.

Go Duke !
post #3996 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
That's why I put-off the professional calibration until I've had the set for at least a year. Otherwise that is being foolish as returning/exchanging a set is like throwing money out the door. No manufacturer is going to reimburse the buyer for a calibration.
post #3997 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
I watched a little 3D last night (part of Ice Age 3) - stunning and flawless!

Still haven't seen a white flash.
I'd like to hear more about 3D on this set and viewing angles. Do you have the 3D Raretities disc? If so how is Caspers's Boo Moon? It's a torture test for ghosting, especially in the sequence when Casper leaves earth and you can see all the planets and stars in the background. I've only had one passive set (Sony 900A) and I remembered being impressed with the 3D but noticed that standing up caused a problem. I have a JS9500 for now.
post #3998 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
I've just been using the Game mode. I haven't changed any settings on it at all.
post #3999 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
On a similar topic, does the Costco SquareTrade warranty require you to be a Costco member? Or can I just buy it online without needing to have an annual membership?
In March 2014, I was able to get a square trade warranty without joining Costco for a Samsung plasma.

With that said, they may have changed their policies. Best to ask them directly.
post #4000 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
The Xfinity App is looking dynamite... not sure if the content is 4K - this TV is dso darned good...

Hopefully one day it is streaming 4K material with ATMOS...

Yeah the sample content looks pretty good. Too bad they're not in HDR. I hope this is a sign of good things to come from Comcast.
post #4001 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If anyone has the game called "until dawn" can u check it out and see if your e6 or g6 displays posterization? That game has horrendous posterization on my e6
post #4002 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I use game mode for the lowest lag

Epson 5040ub
LG 65E6P OLED
Yamaha RX-A3070
BIC Acoustech 7.2 Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820
post #4003 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If anyone has the game called "until dawn" can u check it out and see if your e6 or g6 displays posterization? That game has horrendous posterization on my e6
If you have a gaming PC, try something like Amnesia or Outlast.

I wouldn't trust a console game, they make so many hack-job optimizations that can greatly effect visuals in some areas. Wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that, because anyone without an OLED wouldn't notice.
macmane likes this.
post #4004 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you have a gaming PC, try something like Amnesia or Outlast.

I wouldn't trust a console game, they make so many hack-job optimizations that can greatly effect visuals in some areas. Wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that in the game, because anyone without an OLED wouldn't notice.
Yea I agree but it's funny how that until dawn game is the only one I've seen with that type of effect on. Even outlast on console doesn't have that.
post #4005 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wanted to make sure LG was getting enough feedback about the white flash issue so I called into LG VIP.

The guy I talked to said that because it was happening on all inputs and internal apps; that it was a hardware thing. He scheduled a technician.

I then got a call from another woman who asked more detailed questions about what was happening and said that her team was trying to debug what might be going on. (I also referenced them to this thread so that they could see it's pretty widespread)

Then I got a call from a local technician who said that he ordered some replacement parts. The parts are backordered but that he'd know by tomorrow morning when he could get them. If it takes more than two weeks to get the parts, the protocol is to just replace the whole unit.

The tech seemed confident that it was a problem with the OLED Light module, he said that when they wig out, you'll see quick flashes of light.

Whatever the problem is, here's to hoping it gets fixed before return window ends.
Franchot and Max108 like this.
post #4006 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nSchmidt7 View Post
Wanted to make sure LG was getting enough feedback about the white flash issue so I called into LG VIP.

The guy I talked to said that because it was happening on all inputs and internal apps; that it was a hardware thing. He scheduled a technician.

I then got a call from another woman who asked more detailed questions about what was happening and said that her team was trying to debug what might be going on. (I also referenced them to this thread so that they could see it's pretty widespread)

Then I got a call from a local technician who said that he ordered some replacement parts. The parts are backordered but that he'd know by tomorrow morning when he could get them. If it takes more than two weeks to get the parts, the protocol is to just replace the whole unit.

The tech seemed confident that it was a problem with the OLED Light module, he said that when they wig out, you'll see quick flashes of light.

Whatever the problem is, here's to hoping it gets fixed before return window ends.
Damn just when we thought we turned the corner lol other than the flash my set has been flawless in all aspects. I've had the white flash maybe two or three times myself
post #4007 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5352 Post(s)
Liked: 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by datap1mp View Post
For people who have experienced white flashes, does it show up on all inputs? In example, watching cable and bluray viewing?

I have not experienced ANY white flashes, but I am curious about the issue.
I have only seen it once and it happened very fast. Milliseconds at most. Could have beeb content related on a blu ray. Have never seen it while watching DirecTV.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D

Last edited by wxman; 05-17-2016 at 10:25 AM.
post #4008 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

LG ViP. Is that the Premium Care plan from LG?
post #4009 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea I agree but it's funny how that until dawn game is the only one I've seen with that type of effect on. Even outlast on console doesn't have that.
Outlast has some posterization on PC with my EF9500, but I see it in other extremely dark games too and I know it's the TV because the Samsung OLED doesn't do it.

The E6 should be much improved in that area, so if you don't see it in outlast, then I'd imagine it's the game. Shadows/shaders tend to be major FPS hits, so on consoles they do some pretty hack-job optimizations that can lead to posterization-like effects. I'd throw in some other really dark games and play them for a bit, if those are fine then it has to be the game.

Quote:
Damn just when we thought we turned the corner lol other than the flash my set has been flawless in all aspects. I've had the white flash maybe two or three times myself
Trading dark edges, banding, poor 1-4% performance, higher input lag, worse uniformity etc for a couple millisecond flash every dozen or so hours of usage? I'd still be happy.

Hopefully it is a simple firmware fix though.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 05-17-2016 at 10:27 AM.
post #4010 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My set just arrived. Getting it unboxed and the stand on was pretty simple. I'm afraid to lift it off the box for fear of putting too much pressure on the screen. Just need for one of my helpers to come home.
post #4011 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMatthews View Post
LG ViP. Is that the Premium Care plan from LG?
I think it's a department of customer service at LG that handles the more high end products.

When you call normal customer service and they find out your model number they automatically transfer you.
post #4012 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosteddub69 View Post
My set just arrived. Getting it unboxed and the stand on was pretty simple. I'm afraid to lift it off the box for fear of putting too much pressure on the screen. Just need for one of my helpers to come home.
Definitely a two person job. I owned a 55 inch EF and I could handle that on my own. The 65 inch e6p though, no way haha
steelersfaninla likes this.
post #4013 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Outlast has some posterization on PC with my EF9500, but I see it in other extremely dark games too and I know it's the TV because the Samsung OLED doesn't do it.

The E6 should be much improved in that area, so if you don't see it in outlast, then I'd imagine it's the game. Shadows/shaders tend to be major FPS hits, so on consoles they do some pretty hack-job optimizations that can lead to posterization-like effects. I'd throw in some other really dark games and play them for a bit, if those are fine then it has to be the game.

Trading dark edges, banding, poor 1-4% performance, higher input lag, worse uniformity etc for a couple millisecond flash every dozen or so hours of usage? I'd still be happy.

Hopefully it is a simple firmware fix though.
PLENTY of "hack job" PC game optimization too, its really game/dev specific. If you want to see the best game image quality ever, put on Uncharted 4 on PS4 it puts most PC games to shame.
koffeegy and slowcarboost like this.
post #4014 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Definitely a two person job. I owned a 55 inch EF and I could handle that on my own. The 65 inch e6p though, no way haha
I had no problems moving my 55" by myself either. The 65"... yeah freaking right!

I don't think anyone realizes the size difference of 55 vs 65 until they see it in person, in a normal sized room. Pictures just never do it justice, it looks nearly twice as big as a 55".

Last edited by Tyrindor; 05-17-2016 at 10:56 AM.
post #4015 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The problem if it's a faulty module, and this is the first LG heard of it, then these modules will be in inventory for months as they are still using them in production. 603, 604 and 605 models for sure. Of course, the only one who told you it could be the module was the local tech, and not LG itself. Otherwise, LG is going to have a massive amount of repairs to do, or full replacements. If it's a bad module, then the flashes will become more frequent with time as it fails. Your tv will be a strobe machine.

Last edited by wxman; 05-17-2016 at 11:18 AM.
post #4016 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Wow, I really hope it turns out to be not as bad as this makes it sound. Thanks for sharing the information, please let us know if you learn anything more.

LG 65E6P
Pioneer 5020FD
post #4017 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Just so my man card stays intact...I'm strong enough to lift it...and break it. I feel better now
JimP likes this.

Last edited by boosteddub69; 05-17-2016 at 11:09 AM.
post #4018 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, I really hope it turns out to be not as bad as this makes it sound. Thanks for sharing the information, please let us know if you learn anything more.
What's weird is someone else on this forum talked to LG a few weeks ago about the flashes, and LG told them it was FW related.

post #4019 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 2098
Quote:
You can man handle it, just ask this dude.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #4020 of 21942 Old 05-17-2016, 11:15 AM

My goodness....I started cringing at the 1:20 mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version