2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 170 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87596Likes

post #5071 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OLED 55E6P dead after 30 days

Hi folks,

I've been lurking here for a week now and have really appreciated the feedback and insight that this forum has provided on my new OLED TV. The infamous white flash is what drew me here initially.

Anyway to get to the point, my 55E6P is now an oversized paperweight after just over 30 days of use. Yesterday evening I got around to testing the quality of the 3D using the test jpg provided by a member in a previous post. I'm happy to report that overall I had no significant areas of concern on the panel, and real-world viewing of 3D content produced no crosstalk or ghosting.

Then for the heck of it, because I was curious to see how the process worked, I manually ran the Clear Panel Noise function from the menu. It completed successfully, and the TV automatically powered back on to my Chromecast input. I turned the TV off, left for 6 hours or so that evening, and came back to watch some Netflix, but upon powering on the TV, I was presented with what you see in the attachments below. I get no further than this; no input from the remote or side buttons produces any result. Sometimes the image is steady, most of the time it flickers continuously, and the flicker can be heard from the rear electronics panel.

I've tried practically everything to try and revive this thing, like unplugging power for some hours, unplugging inputs, etc. to no avail. I spoke with LG VIP support (I had opened a case with them on the white flash issue) and they could provide no solution over the phone like a manual way to reset the device.

Thankfully, I am still within my 45 day return policy at Best Buy since I'm an Elite Plus member, so it seems my only course of action is to exchange this thing. A shame, since I've been happy with the panel overall, minus the white flash issue which apparently is wide-spread.

What do you guys think? It could be a coincidence that the issue occurred shortly after running the CPN function manually, and others seem to have had no problems running it, but I will likely never choose to do this again with my replacement. I must say I am concerned this has happened within such a short time of use with only about 120 hours clocked, and I've decided it would be best to fork out extra cash for the extended warranty after all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160526_004358.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1460890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160526_004656.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1460898  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5072 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianb View Post
So, thinking about to exchange my Samsung JS9500 FALD to this E6 OLED, any cons vs pros ? I feel the OLED has most PROS, the only "CONS" I know of right now is brightness and motion resolution. Any input would be great!
One thing u should know is oled doesn't play to nicely with heavily compressed material it shows all flaws within the source itself and the motion which imo is good but some people are real picky when it comes to motion but other than that the oleds pq is superb. Feed it good source food and it will keep a smile on your face eventho your jaw will be on the floor from the mesmerizing picture. I have the 55e6 and I love her almost more than my woman ha but all kidding aside the e6 would be a great addition to your household but as far as the TV u currently have I know nothing about it to compare it. Just my half a cent peace
TimWelborn and PaulNEPats like this.
post #5073 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalCluster View Post
Hi folks,

I've been lurking here for a week now and have really appreciated the feedback and insight that this forum has provided on my new OLED TV. The infamous white flash is what drew me here initially.

Anyway to get to the point, my 55E6P is now an oversized paperweight after just over 30 days of use. Yesterday evening I got around to testing the quality of the 3D using the test jpg provided by a member in a previous post. I'm happy to report that overall I had no significant areas of concern on the panel, and real-world viewing of 3D content produced no crosstalk or ghosting.

Then for the heck of it, because I was curious to see how the process worked, I manually ran the Clear Panel Noise function from the menu. It completed successfully, and the TV automatically powered back on to my Chromecast input. I turned the TV off, left for 6 hours or so that evening, and came back to watch some Netflix, but upon powering on the TV, I was presented with what you see in the attachments below. I get no further than this; no input from the remote or side buttons produces any result. Sometimes the image is steady, most of the time it flickers continuously, and the flicker can be heard from the rear electronics panel.

I've tried practically everything to try and revive this thing, like unplugging power for some hours, unplugging inputs, etc. to no avail. I spoke with LG VIP support (I had opened a case with them on the white flash issue) and they could provide no solution over the phone like a manual way to reset the device.

Thankfully, I am still within my 45 day return policy at Best Buy since I'm an Elite Plus member, so it seems my only course of action is to exchange this thing. A shame, since I've been happy with the panel overall, minus the white flash issue which apparently is wide-spread.

What do you guys think? It could be a coincidence that the issue occurred shortly after running the CPN function manually, and others seem to have had no problems running it, but I will likely never choose to do this again with my replacement. I must say I am concerned this has happened within such a short time of use with only about 120 hours clocked, and I've decided it would be best to fork out extra cash for the extended warranty after all!
Omg that's terrible wow at least you are still under warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5074 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
One thing u should know is oled doesn't play to nicely with heavily compressed material it shows all flaws within the source itself and the motion which imo is good but some people are real picky when it comes to motion but other than that the oleds pq is superb. Feed it good source food and it will keep a smile on your face eventho your jaw will be on the floor from the mesmerizing picture. I have the 55e6 and I love her almost more than my woman ha but all kidding aside the e6 would be a great addition to your household but as far as the TV u currently have I know nothing about it to compare it. Just my half a cent peace
Thanks! I just watch 1080p TV content and blu-rays, so not so worried about bad source artifacts. Just bought some UHD Bluray's, but have yet to buy a UHD bluray player. Would be nice to know of there will be a player with Dolby Vision support.
TimWelborn and macmane like this.

YAMAHA RX-A3050 7.1.4 ATMOS - DTS:X | Klipsch Referance RF82II - RC64II - RS52II - RS41II - RP-140SA | SVS PB-2000 | LG OLED E6 65"
post #5075 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! I just watch 1080p TV content and blu-rays, so not so worried about bad source artifacts. Just bought some UHD Bluray's, but have yet to buy a UHD bluray player. Would be nice to know of there will be a player with Dolby Vision support.
O well considering the type of content you watch yea it's safe to say you will love this TV
TimWelborn likes this.
post #5076 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
It probably won't be until this fall until we see a Dolby vision player
post #5077 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
when he says bad sources he means pretty much all current live TV services like Direct TV, Dish Network or any Cable service these TV's will show just how compressed they all are. Blu rays and UHD look incredible but normal HD channels especially dark scenes can look very bad.
TimWelborn, macmane and julianb like this.

Epson 5040ub
LG 65E6P OLED
Yamaha RX-A3070
BIC Acoustech 7.2 Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820
post #5078 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked: 2244
I am getting a HTPC based on GTX1080. What is the max frame rate the TV will support? I am assuming I can do 4K at 60hz with wide color and HDR no problem on the E6 from PC?

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #5079 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
As am I....
or if for some reason the hardware on the E is actually 'better' (or newer) than on the E.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
I'm kinda curious if they are capable and perhaps were written out of firmware before release
post #5080 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 10:10 AM

So on my new G I watched about 5h worth last night, saw it happen once. That makes 3 for 3 (1 E, 2 G sets). As always, super-quick; one blink and you'd miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevenson View Post
Seen the white flash four times now in the last 3 days or so on my 5-day old E6.

Not a huuuge deal, but LG better find a fix!
post #5081 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 10:12 AM

Interesting.
I think - but of course now I am not sure - that when I first turned it on, the LED Dimming option was not there. I am not sure if the firmware update, or going to UHD (or HDR or DV) 'enabled' it somehow, but it's now a persistent setting throughout inputs.
Knowing what LED Dimming does on a 'standard LED LCD' I don't seem to notice the setting having any effect (it was 'default' on medium, though think was low or high on HDR/DV)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mporter View Post
My G6 has LED Dimming too. And also my panel is very, very slightly curved.
post #5082 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi folks,

The Matrix has you...

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #5083 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, thinking about to exchange my Samsung JS9500 FALD to this E6 OLED, any cons vs pros ? I feel the OLED has most PROS, the only "CONS" I know of right now is brightness and motion resolution. Any input would be great!
E6 is plenty bright for me. Whoever says 2016 OLED is not bright enough, hasn't experienced them in person...

post #5084 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Hi folks,

I'm really sorry about that! The experience is quite scary for a device this expensive. Maybe your unit was a lemon and the CPN just triggered the issue. Did LG VIP offer you any other options apart from the return to BBY? I understand that may have been the quickest fix.

In my opinion, LG should have exchanged the unit themselves to see what happened and why it occurred. Good luck!
post #5085 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brataccas View Post
Interesting.
I think - but of course now I am not sure - that when I first turned it on, the LED Dimming option was not there. I am not sure if the firmware update, or going to UHD (or HDR or DV) 'enabled' it somehow, but it's now a persistent setting throughout inputs.
Knowing what LED Dimming does on a 'standard LED LCD' I don't seem to notice the setting having any effect (it was 'default' on medium, though think was low or high on HDR/DV)...
Go into general settings and turn quick start off. Power off tv, then wait a minute and power back on. Led Local Dimming will disappear until you use Amazon again.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #5086 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 10:47 AM

Wow. Thank you.... so it IS a bug?!
It doesn't seem to have any (expected) effect, regardless of setting. Is there a 'reason' we should be concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Go into general settings and turn quick start off. Power off tv, then wait a minute and power back on. Led Local Dimming will disappear until you use Amazon again.
post #5087 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3824
Quote:
Wow. Thank you.... so it IS a bug?!
It doesn't seem to have any (expected) effect, regardless of setting. Is there a 'reason' we should be concerned?
Yes, it is a bug. LED Local Dimming is used on FALD and some edge lit tv's. It controls the back light. Since OLED has no backlight, it's totally useless. Most of the FW on these tv's are WebOS related. The 2016 LG models all share WebOS 3.0. In fact, the E6's FW is the same FW used in several of LG's 2016 LED lineup.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #5088 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6679 Post(s)
Liked: 6675
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenuco View Post
I'm really sorry about that! The experience is quite scary for a device this expensive.
No matter what you buy or how expensive it is, there is no question a item will fail, just a matter of what day. LG has great customer service he will be fixed up in no time I bet.......
post #5089 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 11:09 AM

Thanks!

One more thing I noticed with my new G now - there is a slight overall green tint (I have not, but WILL do chroma/tint calibration tonight) to the picture overall.
It's consistent (so I do NOT have any significant off-axis changes; i have to be almost way to the side to see the picture 'degrade').
While I have the WOW and other calibration tools, I don't have professional setup to calibrate myself.

I assume this would be 'fixed' with gain and offset (understanding this cannot be correctly done 'eyeing it') changes to green?
TO be sure - this is slight; my wife wouldn't even notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Yes, it is a bug. LED Local Dimming is used on FALD and some edge lit tv's. It controls the back light. Since OLED has no backlight, it's totally useless.

Last edited by Brataccas; 05-26-2016 at 11:23 AM.
post #5090 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I am getting a HTPC based on GTX1080. What is the max frame rate the TV will support? I am assuming I can do 4K at 60hz with wide color and HDR no problem on the E6 from PC?
Yes, the TV can do all of that without issue from the NVIDIA card. The max frame rate you can achieve is 60fps.
drewTT likes this.
post #5091 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Quote:
Thanks!

One more thing I noticed with my new G now - there is a slight overall green tint (I have not, but WILL do chroma/tint calibration tonight) to the picture overall.
It's consistent (so I do NOT have any significant off-axis changes; i have to be almost way to the side to see the picture 'degrade').
While I have the WOW and other calibration tools, I don't have professional setup to calibrate myself.

I assume this would be 'fixed' with gain and offset (understanding this cannot be correctly done 'eyeing it') changes to green?
TO be sure - this is slight; my wife wouldn't even notice it.
A green push has been noted on many of the 2016 models.
post #5092 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASWISS View Post
LG was not able to deliver my Store this week as promised - monday or tuesday - another week waiting...
Which store might that be?

I'm also waiting for a 65E6 by the end of May here in Switzerland.

Thanks.
ASWISS likes this.

Last edited by LorHan; 05-26-2016 at 11:35 AM.
post #5093 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by glabrecque View Post
when he says bad sources he means pretty much all current live TV services like Direct TV, Dish Network or any Cable service these TV's will show just how compressed they all are. Blu rays and UHD look incredible but normal HD channels especially dark scenes can look very bad.

To be honest, I have Dish Network and for the most part the 1080i content is not bad. Now don't get me wrong.... it is not 4k, but I am not seeing any artifacts. Might be because I am siting approximately 12-14 feet away pending on location.

-Koffeegy

LG 65E6P - Pioneer PRO-151FD - Pioneer SC-05 - SONOS Soundbars/Play 3's/Play 5's/Play 1's/Subwoffers - Panasonic 58VT25 - PlayStation 3 - PlayStation 4
post #5094 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffeegy View Post
To be honest, I have Dish Network and for the most part the 1080i content is not bad. Now don't get me wrong.... it is not 4k, but I am not seeing any artifacts. Might be because I am siting approximately 12-14 feet away pending on location.
That's odd. I have Hopper 3 and have horrible artifacts in dark scenes. It looks pretty good during the day, but at night, yikes....

post #5095 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
I watched about 20 minutes of The Good Dinosaur and I think I see what you're seeing. I noticed it in the upper right corner of my set at about 6:09 in the movie. Some tree branches next to the house display cross talk. If I pause the movie, the cross talk goes away. If I rewind just a little and play those same seconds the cross talk with the branches isn't there. And I'm not moving my eye level or seating in any way. It seems like the TV is trying to catch up with what the Blu ray is outputting. Pausing the disc puts everything back in sync.

The good news is that the focus of most scenes (usually the center of the screen) doesn't display any cross talk and that's usually what I'm focused on when I watch a film. With the subtitles on, I also don't have any cross talk unlike another member here who had atrocious cross talk with his subtitles on.

When time permits, I'll have to watch some more 3D films to see if this is normal for the set or an anomaly with The Good Dinosaur; although you did mention that The Life of Pi didn't produce any cross talk for you. Maybe something to do with animated films versus live action films?
Thanks for checking it out. I watched a few scenes in Life of pi again, and it looks like there are some crosstalk on the bottom right. It's not on every scene, so I am confused now.

Also, where can I find stuff to test banding and vignetting? This thread got so long, so it's hard for me go through all the pages again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #5096 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 31
anybody here know what the true cost of E6/G6 65 incher is to authorized seller/dealer? For e.g authorized Omega watch dealers pay 60% of MSRP of a given model ... anyone know what it is for this particular tv?

Thanks
post #5097 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongta029 View Post
Thanks for checking it out. I watched a few scenes in Life of pi again, and it looks like there are some crosstalk on the bottom right. It's not on every scene, so I am confused now.
Not every scene is creating the same sense of depth, so that might help explain why it's not equally obvious in every scene.
Quote:
Also, where can I find stuff to test banding and vignetting? This thread got so long, so it's hard for me go through all the pages again.
All the low IRE slides for such are available here: https://mega.nz/#!f4Ig2ASC!iu7UrrzLI...cs%3Cbr%20/%3E
post #5098 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
That's odd. I have Hopper 3 and have horrible artifacts in dark scenes. It looks pretty good during the day, but at night, yikes....

No Hopper 3 here. Still using Just the HD hopper. For me I can not justify the upgrade at this time without having more content available. Having 16 tuners on the other hand was tempting me something awful.

-Koffeegy

LG 65E6P - Pioneer PRO-151FD - Pioneer SC-05 - SONOS Soundbars/Play 3's/Play 5's/Play 1's/Subwoffers - Panasonic 58VT25 - PlayStation 3 - PlayStation 4
post #5099 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenuco View Post
I'm really sorry about that! The experience is quite scary for a device this expensive. Maybe your unit was a lemon and the CPN just triggered the issue. Did LG VIP offer you any other options apart from the return to BBY? I understand that may have been the quickest fix.

In my opinion, LG should have exchanged the unit themselves to see what happened and why it occurred. Good luck!
LG offered to send out a technician to examine the device, but I declined. The tech would first need to make an assessment, then potentially come back for a second visit to replace any parts. I didn't want to wait that long, and since I can still exercise my exchange option at BB, I'll do that instead.

I've already spoken to the Magnolia representative who sold me the TV, and he has set a replacement aside for me. Funny, he also stated that it could be a lemon, and apparently the unit I have was among the first batch of E6's they received. Since then, they have sold many more, so I'm hoping for a newer build.
post #5100 of 22057 Old 05-26-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffeegy View Post
No Hopper 3 here. Still using Just the HD hopper. For me I can not justify the upgrade at this time without having more content available. Having 16 tuners on the other hand was tempting me something awful.
Do it, man. Sports bar mode is pretty epic. 4 1080P screens at once! Great for sports.
koffeegy likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page