2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87623Likes

post #5401 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffeegy View Post
Thanks for the response. I have tried all 3 audio settings and this happens to all of them. I will try this again when I get home. Of course this happened during the Holiday weekend and all technical support systems were off.
I never got PS4 to work correctly with my Sonos Soundbar. My (2007) Sharp Aquos would put out the correct audio from Xbox One no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mporter View Post
I've got a G6, and I've been very happy with the upscaled DirecTV content in general. However, right before I got the G6, I upgraded my DirectTV service to the very latest version of their Genie box and also upgraded the electronics on the dish. Right after that, even before I got my G6, I saw a remarkable improvement in video quality.

So maybe older cable boxes might be part of the issue for some folks.

I'm also happy with the upscaled Apple TV content. I recently re-watched all the Game of Thrones seasons on Apple TV / HBO GO and really enjoyed seeing detail and textures I had never seen before.

Of course, I might just have low standards. GoT's amazing content can make up for a lot of crushed blacks. At least, with an OLED display, they get crushed to a real black.
Thanks for your response.

Yeah, asking for DirecTV programming may have been a bad example on my part. I know they have a “4K plan” you can upgrade to (I’m guessing that’s what you mean by getting the Genie). Also, I have Comcast.

And yes, I know Comcast is known for more compression, but that’s where my concern lies. I think I’ve seen one person post here in regards to their experience in having Comcast with their new TV and they indicated it looked ‘decent’.

People have suggested watching TV via an antenna, but that just isn’t an option. The amount of channels is very limited, never mind not having access to any of the premium channels.
post #5403 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 5534 Post(s)
Liked: 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I dunno, a faint glow on the edges (since the center is darker at lower stimuli) is probably not going to be noticed most of the time (short of an extended blacked out scene where your pupils are allowed to expand to see said perimeter glow). With BT 1886, a brightness of 54 achieves this. With the pluge, I believe I can very faintly see bar 17 flashing with this setting.
I can see a glow across the entire screen, even with brightness of 0. Thats why I had to lower 2 point low to -20. This is for 2.2 and 2.4 gamma. With 1886, it seems to be correct.
video_analysis likes this.

Last edited by wxman; 05-31-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5404 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I've got a G6, and I've been very happy with the upscaled DirecTV content in general. However, right before I got the G6, I upgraded my DirectTV service to the very latest version of their Genie box and also upgraded the electronics on the dish. Right after that, even before I got my G6, I saw a remarkable improvement in video quality.

I'm also happy with the upscaled Apple TV content. I recently re-watched all the Game of Thrones seasons on Apple TV / HBO GO and really enjoyed seeing detail and textures I had never seen before.

Of course, I might just have low standards. GoT's amazing content can make up for a lot of crushed blacks. At least, with an OLED display, they get crushed to a real black.
I have the latest Dish Hopper 3 box and while the 4k content looks great the normal HD looks pretty good but dark content can look very bad. My Apple TV content does look better but only slightly.

Epson 5040ub
LG 65E6P OLED
Yamaha RX-A3070
BIC Acoustech 7.2 Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820
post #5405 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellouts View Post
I never got PS4 to work correctly with my Sonos Soundbar. My (2007) Sharp Aquos would put out the correct audio from Xbox One no problem.

The SONOS Playbar worked fine with the PS4 via a Pioneer SC-05 AVR The only thing that has changed is the SC-05 to a Pioneer Elite AVR VSX-LX101. The only thing I can think of is there is not "Through" setting on the new AVR like with the SC-05. That is what I had the SC-05 set to.

-Koffeegy

LG 65E6P - Pioneer PRO-151FD - Pioneer SC-05 - SONOS Soundbars/Play 3's/Play 5's/Play 1's/Subwoffers - Panasonic 58VT25 - PlayStation 3 - PlayStation 4
post #5406 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinotguy View Post
2.5 months into this thread and with approx 5000 posts, it's only 1/2 of Buzzard's EF thread at same point in time.

Looks to me like flaws are mostly (except perhaps the flashing white) now down to individual panels, rather than across product line.

Tremendous tech/mfg progress made by LG on this OLED generation.

Now they need to put same focus on cost, and drive themselves into a thriving OLED monopoly, that forces change in movie/tv industry (3D recharge, maybe even rebirth of disk distribution channel), improvements in cable/satellite compression quality, expanded hi-speed internet, etc.

Just think of the cash machine a $2K E6 would be, and subsequent volume effect this would have on movie/tv industry. Not happening this year, but...
Agreed. I stated this when the EG9600 came out, and then when the EF9500 came out. They felt like 4K OLED prototypes to me, not quite ready for market but they knew people would buy them. Sure there's a few golden EF9500s around, but the amount of "faulty" panels was alarming. My EC9300 (1080p OLED) offered a better picture with far less problems and a fraction of the price tag - and even came out over a year earlier than the EG9600/EF9500.

It took them awhile to get 4K OLED down, but I agree they seem to have managed it with this generation. I say this with my E6 coming either today or tomorrow, hopefully I don't eat my words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I can see a glow across the entire screen, even with brightness of 0. Thats why I had to lower 2 point low to -20. This is for 2.2 and 2.4 gamma. With 1886, it seems to be correct.
That seems odd, though my friend's Samsung OLED does the same. I always gave him crap for it...

It's strange that it doesn't happen with 1886 though. I wonder if it would happen on 2.2/2.4 with a 20pt calibration. Perhaps a firmware issue.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 05-31-2016 at 09:39 AM.
post #5407 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffeegy View Post
The SONOS Playbar worked fine with the PS4 via a Pioneer SC-05 AVR The only thing that has changed is the SC-05 to a Pioneer Elite AVR VSX-LX101. The only thing I can think of is there is not "Through" setting on the new AVR like with the SC-05. That is what I had the SC-05 set to.

Here are a couple of things I would try to debug the issue:

1. Connect the PS4 directly to the TV, bypassing the receiver, and preferably on the same HDMI port as the receiver.

2. If the receiver has multiple HDMI outputs, connect it directly to the Sonos, bypassing the TV.

Hopefully this will let you narrow down to which component is at fault.
koffeegy likes this.
post #5408 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post
Thanks for your response.

Yeah, asking for DirecTV programming may have been a bad example on my part. I know they have a “4K plan” you can upgrade to (I’m guessing that’s what you mean by getting the Genie). Also, I have Comcast.
Currently DirecTV only will deliver 4K if you also get an extra Genie Mini box too. I don't think they have enough 4K content yet to justify the complication. I get 4K content through Netflix and Amazon. And I intend to get a 4K DVD player, maybe when the Panasonic ships.

One of my goals with the new G6 was to simplify my home theater setup. It was so complex before that I was the only one who could use it.
fhschellenberg likes this.
post #5409 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:

Do you display content from DirecTV in Native Resolution? I moved my TiVo Bolt from my living room and swapped with my Roamio Pro and I think outputting 4K directly from the Bolt looks better, but I have to do more testing.
post #5410 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 686
I have uverse and man it's a mixed bag when it comes to pq. One channel can look like complete **** and one channel over is blu ray type quality
post #5411 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Currently DirecTV only will deliver 4K if you also get an extra Genie Mini box too. I don't think they have enough 4K content yet to justify the complication. I get 4K content through Netflix and Amazon. And I intend to get a 4K DVD player, maybe when the Panasonic ships.

One of my goals with the new G6 was to simplify my home theater setup. It was so complex before that I was the only one who could use it.
For Comcast, there is no way to get 4K content at all, yet. I would pay more money for an extra box if I could.

The only way I can get 4K content right now is via streaming or any 4K blu-rays I decent to rent/purchase. I don’t have a 4K player right now, but I am hearing with the new PS4 Neo it will have the capability to play 4K BD discs and plan to upgrade to that.
post #5412 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
For Comcast, there is no way to get 4K content at all, yet. I would pay more money for an extra box if I could.

The only way I can get 4K content right now is via streaming or any 4K blu-rays I decent to rent/purchase. I don’t have a 4K player right now, but I am hearing with the new PS4 Neo it will have the capability to play 4K BD discs and plan to upgrade to that.
I have the 4K Genie, but there is only one channel of broadcast available. The other 4K channel is PPV. The picture quality does look damn good though. Hopefully, they'll be showing the Olympics in 4K this year.

http://4k.com/news/2016-rio-olympics...s-sound-14912/
post #5413 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not sure about that.... I think it's an issue - obviously not a bad one - with they application process.
Mine actually has a tiny dimple (or 'dent') in the top middle. You can only see it in reflection on the black(off) glass and doesn't affect watching at all - but I think there may be a bit too much pressure on the panel on glass....

Quote:
My G6 also has the slight concave bend. Maybe it's intentional in order to narrow the possible sources of reflected light in the room.
post #5414 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I don't know...
I had both - first the E (returned due to bad FPR), then the G. I actually am on my 2nd G (the first died - completely - 20 minutes into watching) and now very happy with it.
But, I don't see any differences to PQ from the E, and in fact hardware-wise... the E allowed all 4 HDMI in ports to be on UHD color (4:4:4), while the G only allows the first 2.
Not an issue for me, but clearly there are some hardware differences, and not sure they are for the better on the G.
Again, love the set, but don't see a real diff from E and G (I don't use the built-in sound).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecutter View Post
The G6 is priced higher for a reason. You don't get something for nothing. The internal components may be similar yet different. Different chips, boards transformers or whatever is in the TV.

To say that the E6 is equivalent or better is just ignorance.

You guys that bought the E6 need to rationalize not buying the top tier product . But, I'm sure the g6 will edge out the E6 in someways unknown to me. VE will tell you they are the same to keep selling tons of TVs at a more palatable price.

If the E6 is the be all and end all of TVs , why are so many going back as defective? Come on, you guys are searching for the Holy Grail and Fountain of Youth. It ain't happening!!!
post #5415 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Looks like Comcast has a 4k box coming in July

Epson 5040ub
LG 65E6P OLED
Yamaha RX-A3070
BIC Acoustech 7.2 Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820
post #5416 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glabrecque View Post
Do you have a link to an article on that? I haven't heard anything about it.
post #5417 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by glabrecque View Post

It will be 1080 HDR only. No 4K until the xi6 until next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65A1E, XBR-55A1E, Marantz AV8805, AV7704
Naim SN3, Hi-Cap DR, NDX2, Naim Unity Core, Emotiva XPA-9, A-5175
Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Evoke 10, 2X REL S/812, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz D2 Power Distribution,A2 and X Power and speaker cables
post #5418 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
It will be 1080 HDR only. No 4K until the xi6 until next summer.

Not according to the link I posted up a little bit.

Quote:
Comcast has already stated that it will start distributing its HDR-capable 4K UHD Xi5 set-top box as of July, comfortably ahead of the August 5th start of the 2016 Rio Olympic broadcasts.
post #5419 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukas View Post
Not according to the link I posted up a little bit.
I got my info from a VP at Comcast who sits on our board of directors. Guess 7/5 we will have our answer. I use DTV so I could careless. The xi5 is not a 4K box. HDR only. That's what will be available in July.

bongta029 likes this.

Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Evoke 10, 2X REL S/812, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz D2 Power Distribution,A2 and X Power and speaker cables
post #5420 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6834 Post(s)
Liked: 6830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinotguy View Post
Looks to me like flaws are mostly (except perhaps the flashing white) now down to individual panels, rather than across product line.
That's the whole problem people are basing there feeling off of forums and not actual numbers. On the EF and EG models we had a report level of about 7% of people complaining about this or that. Those numbers are about normal. We will see what happens with the new models, still to early to tell.....
post #5421 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I got my info from a VP at Comcast who sits on our board of directors. Guess 7/5 we will have our answer. I use DTV so I could careless. The xi5 is not a 4K box. HDR only. That's what will be available in July.

Can you even have HDR without 4K?
post #5422 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yup. HDR has nothing to do with 4K.

post #5423 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
As Jnelson stated, HDR is its own thing. The color range has nothing to do with number of pixels. It's all about gamut and luminance.

With that said, HDR is likely to be a "premium" option, which will be predominantly on 4K sets. Eventually you may see HDR on all sets as a standard. Too early to tell, really.
post #5424 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Yup. HDR has nothing to do with 4K.

I’ve just never heard of HDR until 4K televisions started being released.

And the article seems conflicting. You say the Xi5 is HDR only, but the box they are showing in the picture in the article says “4K” on it.
post #5425 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’ve just never heard of HDR until 4K televisions started being released.

And the article seems conflicting. You say the Xi5 is HDR only, but the box they are showing in the picture in the article says “4K” on it.

The Xi5 is the next generation set-top for Comcast's cloud-based X1 video platform. It's a diminutive IP client device, supporting High Dynamic Range (HDR), but not 4K/UltraHD. It contains no hard drive.

The Xi5, which is currently being tested in Comcast employee homes, is set for wider deployment this summer, in time for Comcast's NBCUniversal division to broadcast the Rio Olympics' Opening Ceremonies in 4K and HDR.

Comcast said the Xi6 — which is capable of both 4K and HDR — will roll out within 12 months of the Xi5's deployment.

post #5426 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 12:31 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Well, whenever the Xi6 rolls out, hopefully it isn’t for just showing 4K content (which there is very limited amount), but also helps on improving the picture quality for 720/1080 content (i.e. much less compression).
post #5427 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 371
I hope Comcast puts some of that 4K HDR Olympic content on the UHD sampler app. Looks to be the only way to get anything from them in UHD until the Xi6 is out.
post #5428 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4305 Post(s)
Liked: 3737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
When someone says they see major compression artifacts in blu-ray, I'm skeptical they are actually watching blu-ray. Some movies do have some issues, but I've never seen a BD with major compression issues and I have a collection of ~1800 of them. I always assume these people downloaded a pirated copy with a lower bitrate. There's 1080p Blu-ray rips out there that are 2-5GB a movie and they look awful, but lots of people will swear up and down they are the same quality as a full BD disc. Even a 10-15GB BD rip does not look nearly as good, especially on a 65" OLED you will see issues in dark scenes.
Before we start throwing out the pirate accusations, I'm pretty sure many Blu-rays were not encoded and mastered on displays capable of zero blacks, so that right there could result in noise near black on these OLEDs. Add in calibration issues or not having black set correctly on the OLED, and that could easily bring some things to the surface that shouldn't be seen.
chunon and the_jaguar like this.
post #5429 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I hate to return to our regularly scheduled flashing programming, but I have a question for owners that are seeing flashing regularly, which seems to be the majority of owners. If you assume LG never fixes it and you see flashing for the next 5 plus years, and you had a do over, would you wait for them to fix it before buying (i.e., fixed either in this model or 2017)?

A lot of owners seem to view it as a minor issue because it is I frequent and is likely to be fixed in a firmware upgrade at some point. I'm wondering if those same owners would view it as minor if that likely fix never materializes. Many of us lurking here are probably weighing this issue before buying, and it's hard to tell how annoying it would be to have this issue permanently, which is one of the possibilities.
post #5430 of 22173 Old 05-31-2016, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wales View Post
I hate to return to our regularly scheduled flashing programming, but I have a question for owners that are seeing flashing regularly, which seems to be the majority of owners. If you assume LG never fixes it and you see flashing for the next 5 plus years, and you had a do over, would you wait for them to fix it before buying (i.e., fixed either in this model or 2017)?

A lot of owners seem to view it as a minor issue because it is I frequent and is likely to be fixed in a firmware upgrade at some point. I'm wondering if those same owners would view it as minor if that likely fix never materializes. Many of us lurking here are probably weighing this issue before buying, and it's hard to tell how annoying it would be to have this issue permanently, which is one of the possibilities.
I'm on my 2nd 65E6 due to a bad 3D filter on the first. My 2nd E6 is near flawless in my opinion, however it has the white flashing issue now which my 1st panel never had. I'm wondering if it is related to Ultra Deep Color myself because it seems to me like the issue started when I enabled deep color on the HDMI port.

But I digress, the best answer I can give you is that after looking at every high end TV available today and having my E6(s) for a month now, you would need to pry it out of my cold dead hands to take it away. The white flash is irrelevant to me, the TV is too exceptional in every other capacity. If you need a TV now, buy it. If you don't need a TV now, there is ALWAYS something better around the corner. The problem is that if you are always waiting for that something better then you never buy and enjoy anything now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page