2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 183 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87632Likes

post #5461 of 22203 Old 05-31-2016, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoupe2003 View Post
Would someone mind telling me what picture settings everyone is using for this set?
I'm using isf dark basically default all processing off oled light 60 contrast 80 brightness 53 gamma 1886 color 50 h and v sharpness 0 tint 0 trumotion off real cinema off warm2 color temperature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5462 of 22203 Old 05-31-2016, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 180
So I just confirmed 100% that there is 0 noise or artifacting at near blacks while watching The Revenant UHD HDR BD. It is flawless. Some scenes were absolute torture but no issues at all. So it seems streams from Amazon Video and Netflix do something to near blacks and peak brights that make them look like crappie, otherwise, rest of the range looks awe some on Mad Dogs. I'd still love to see how others view episode 7 32.5 min through 33.5 min mark. I assume it'll look just as bad for othwrs, but would like the peace of mind I guess. Another test, is opening scene of Interstellar on bluray. Just when he wakes up in his room and it's very dark.

It seems we truly do own a reference TV, as it shows every flaw.
AB4OLED likes this.
post #5463 of 22203 Old 05-31-2016, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoupe2003 View Post
Would someone mind telling me what picture settings everyone is using for this set?
I'm using isf dark basically default all processing off oled light 60 contrast 80 brightness 53 gamma 1886 color 50 h and v sharpness 0 tint 0 trumotion off real cinema off warm2 color temperature
Thanks I'm going to play with those settings now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5464 of 22203 Old 05-31-2016, 11:33 PM

Another interesting test. At 1 min 48 sec on Interstellar, there is a lot of noise. Ithe doesn't matter if I watch the scene on Amazon Video, Hulu, or Bluray, that scene is extremely noisy, but when I bring up the homeend tiles, the noise disappears. It's like when there is a low APL scene on anything other than UHD HDR blurays, the noise is just terrible. Looking for confirmation from other owners.
post #5465 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSynergy View Post
Another interesting test. At 1 min 48 sec on Interstellar, there is a lot of noise. Ithe doesn't matter if I watch the scene on Amazon Video, Hulu, or Bluray, that scene is extremely noisy, but when I bring up the homeend tiles, the noise disappears. It's like when there is a low APL scene on anything other than UHD HDR blurays, the noise is just terrible. Looking for confirmation from other owners.
Like most IMAX movies, the non-IMAX scenes look bad. It's like they blew all their money on the IMAX scenes and forgot everything else. It's a fault of the content IMO.
post #5466 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12806 Post(s)
Liked: 12149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
Like most IMAX movies, the non-IMAX scenes look bad. It's like they blew all their money on the IMAX scenes and forgot everything else. It's a fault of the content IMO.
Yep those widescreen scenes look aweful. Those anamorphic lenses they use that blur the image are horrendous.
post #5467 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Apologies if this has been covered, but does anyone know how these sets accomplish media playback? Is it part of webOS? Is it a SOC?

I find the 4K media playback (MP4, MKV, etc) quite good, and just wondering how LG implements it, and how it compares to things like a Dune media player.
Both? I'm not sure quite what you're asking.

These sets as well as just about any standalone player will use hardware decoding, since that's cheaper and much more power efficient than including a CPU powerful enough to do software decoding (especially for 4k). But you can't exactly just plug a USB stick (or other data source) into an SOC with a hardware decoding block and expect anything to happen. The whole system has to be managed by whatever software it's running.

Decoding itself isn't going to very much from player to player, though. Encoding leaves some room for flexibility (since the encoder has to choose how to map raw video data to a compressed representation), but decoding is usually clearly defined. Most video content you would be playing maps quite directly to what should be sent over an HDMI cable, in terms of pixel values, resolution, framerate, and other metadata such as HDR or 3D. One correctly behaving video source shouldn't generally give you a different picture from another, short of extra processing like upscaling, noise reduction, or motion enhancement (which the TV can always do anyway).
post #5468 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked: 3738
Quote:
So I just confirmed 100% that there is 0 noise or artifacting at near blacks while watching The Revenant UHD HDR BD. It is flawless. Some scenes were absolute torture but no issues at all. So it seems streams from Amazon Video and Netflix do something to near blacks and peak brights that make them look like crappie, otherwise, rest of the range looks awe some on Mad Dogs. I'd still love to see how others view episode 7 32.5 min through 33.5 min mark.
What I see is a lot of compression artifacts near black in the form of moving graininess and occasional flickering. Your set is fine.
chunon likes this.
post #5469 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
This has been stated over and over, movies are compressed and the easiest areas to do this are the black/dark areas. This TV will show what's really going on.

When I game (PC 4K 60hz), there are none of these noise artifacts.
post #5470 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Question Picturemodes/profile 3D and 2D calibration

Hi there,

i`ve got some questions in regards to picturemodes and calibration in regards to the the E6D/E6V. I will be getting 65E6D soon and i want to calibrate the different modes.
I want to calibrate the modes at least for Rec.709 and Rec.2020 (if possible) using a 3DLut for Madvr in the end.

As i want to calibrate for Rec.709 3D as well my question would be if there is a separate picturemode/profile for 3D as well one could calibrate separately? Or is the same profile used for 2D and 3D?

For example:

Rec.709:

ISF Dark "2D"
ISF Dark "3D"

Rec.2020:

ISF Dark

Greetings

Felix
post #5471 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Interstellar looked spectacular throughout, shot as it was on glorious film, not digitally captured.

It looked best in theaters showing it in IMAX from actual IMAX film prints.
post #5472 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
My guess is game mode has specific locked in settings just like how when set to PC mode it locks to certain settings that you can't change I don't know why though
My guess is because Game Mode requires the least features turned on to keep the Input Lag as low as possible.
macmane likes this.

Epson 5040ub
LG 65E6P OLED
Yamaha RX-A3070
BIC Acoustech 7.2 Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820
post #5473 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4608 Post(s)
Liked: 5599
Quote:
Originally Posted by datap1mp View Post
This has been stated over and over, movies are compressed and the easiest areas to do this are the black/dark areas. This TV will show what's really going on.

If the compression bothers you, turn on the noise reduction.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #5474 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos215bar2 View Post
The way I see it — in the absolute worst case — if LG doesn't fix the flashes in the current generation, they'll just be a ticket to a free upgrade next year (for those who care enough to invoke their warranty). Some might feel differently if the flashes are more frequent or just find them more distracting. In my case, they're an obvious defect which isn't acceptable long-term on a $5,000 TV, but definitely not annoying enough to make we want to use any other set available right now.

On a related note, I did contact the VIP support line about the flashes and was promptly forwarded to someone (apparently of some authority) who took down information about my set and told me they do know about the issue and are investigating. He couldn't give any timeframe on a fix (obviously), but they do seem to be taking it quite seriously at this point.
That seems like a reasonable approach for those that see the flashes as an unacceptable defect that must be fixed. A critical assumption is that LG will eventually agree and allow a swap for a 2017 model if that is the only fix. If that is the case, then there is no downside to buying and enjoying the tv now even if the flashes are a big deal to you.
post #5475 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Noise reduction doesn't seem to do much to help.
KTM250 likes this.

Epson 5040ub
LG 65E6P OLED
Yamaha RX-A3070
Panasonic DP-UB820
post #5476 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Quote:
So I just confirmed 100% that there is 0 noise or artifacting at near blacks while watching The Revenant UHD HDR BD. It is flawless. Some scenes were absolute torture but no issues at all. So it seems streams from Amazon Video and Netflix do something to near blacks and peak brights that make them look like crappie, otherwise, rest of the range looks awe some on Mad Dogs. I'd still love to see how others view episode 7 32.5 min through 33.5 min mark.
What I see is a lot of compression artifacts near black in the form of moving graininess and occasional flickering. Your set is fine.
It really looks bad in a dark room though doesn't it? Like those grainy horizontal lines get super nasty at times, and then the flicker. So it must be the source? Odd that hitting the home button to bring up tiles makes it disappear completely, then again raises APL.
post #5477 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Reading about all these artifacting and compression issues is starting to concern me. It was what I was worried about the most as the majority of my TV watching is via broadcast cable TV.

I will watch higher end content when I can, but with how little there is of it out there, the large majority of my viewing will still be 1080 or 720 content.

Most of what I watch is with ambient lighting, so maybe it won’t be as noticeable.

*fingers crossed*
shyguy3763 and slowcarboost like this.
post #5478 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post
Reading about all these artifacting and compression issues is starting to concern me. It was what I was worried about the most as the majority of my TV watching is via broadcast cable TV.

I will watch higher end content when I can, but with how little there is of it out there, the large majority of my viewing will still be 1080 or 720 content.

Most of what I watch is with ambient lighting, so maybe it won’t be as noticeable.

*fingers crossed*
The worst channel I have seen with artificats and compression is easily hbo. As far as stream goes I understand that some shows ie Netflix have artifacts and compression due to well streaming. YouTube is another which compresses stuff but it depends on the content. When I watch blu rays or content on my USB or even regular 1080i on standard cable boxes mostly everything is good minus hbo and a couple other channels. I also sometimes will look in comparison with my other tvs with the same content I see artificats on the e6 and its on those as well. Cable companies are robbing everyone including me with how they overly compress there channels. Oled just brings out the flaws within the source lcd masks it better imo but it's still there.
post #5479 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:

*fingers crossed*
Good 1080 content looks great but if it's bad it can look pretty terrible. It's not the TV's fault but I also don't see the content providers changing anything anytime soon because OLED is a pretty small percentage of it's user base. But I also have an LED 4K TV that is not OLED that looks noticably worse than my 1080p sets in the house with bad content so it's not just OLED that shows the issues but it does show them the most. On the other side though when you have a good quality source the end result on OLED is amazing.
shyguy3763, macmane and AB4OLED like this.

Epson 5040ub
LG 65E6P OLED
Yamaha RX-A3070
Panasonic DP-UB820
post #5480 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Yes, I do see the compression (artifacting) on my SXRD tv as well. Some channels aren’t really noticeable (or noticeable at all), where some are. And considering Comcast just went to MPEG-4 (more compression), worries me even more.

I’m just afraid that if I can see it on my current TV, that it is going to scream out at me when I watch my E6.

I know it’s not the TVs fault, but I don’t want to hold back upgrading my TV because my provider can’t give a good source. And no, not going to change providers. That's not an option.

With the release of Comcast’s Xi5, and especially eventually Xi6, I am hoping they will help improve the picture (less artifacting) for 1080/720 content, as well.
post #5481 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
I just got my E6, 604 revision. I gotta say the white uniformity exceeds any EF9500 I owned. There's some banding in the near black, but haven't done any compensation cycles yet and it's still less than any EF. No dead subpixels. No tinting off angle. Have not done 20pt calibrated yet but PQ seems like a noticeable improvement in the near blacks. ABL seems noticeably less aggressive on PC use. 32ms input lag is noticeable faster than 50ms.

Only thing I could see being wrong is the 3D Layer but I won't get to test until later.
shyguy3763 and macmane like this.
post #5482 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by datap1mp View Post

Actually played with that and in these scenes it doesn't help. I want to say it's how the TV does these scenes, but it doesn't act up on UHDs.
post #5483 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, I do see the compression (artifacting) on my SXRD tv as well. Some channels aren’t really noticeable (or noticeable at all), where some are. And considering Comcast just went to MPEG-4 (more compression), worries me even more.

I’m just afraid that if I can see it on my current TV, that it is going to scream out at me when I watch my E6.

I know it’s not the TVs fault, but I don’t want to hold back upgrading my TV because my provider can’t give a good source. And no, not going to change providers. That's not an option.

With the release of Comcast’s Xi5, and especially eventually Xi6, I am hoping they will help improve the picture (less artifacting) for 1080/720 content, as well.
Yeah I am with you on not switching providers. I have been with Dish Network for over 16 years and have the latest Hopper 3 and while there isn't much available in 4k yet from Dish what they do have looks great so I have decided to just deal with the not so great HD picture until things improve with the 4K rollout over the next few years. And about the newer box improving things I just switched from the Hopper 2 to Hopper 3 when I first got my OLED and there was no difference.
KTM250 likes this.

Epson 5040ub
LG 65E6P OLED
Yamaha RX-A3070
Panasonic DP-UB820

Last edited by glabrecque; 06-01-2016 at 09:44 AM.
post #5484 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 AM
DiB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I got 5 white flashes during Chappie last night. It seems to only happen with 4k ultra with the wide gamma for me. My true motion was at 2 snd deblur 10.

It really seems to be software related from what my eyes saw. Like big scene changes seemed to induce it. I'll setup my tripod and canon 7d and record a movie in 1080p with a good lens.
Franchot likes this.
post #5485 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Just to be clear yes I have issues with the dark scenes with any bad source but still most of my TV viewing is still perfectly ok during well lit content and amazing with blu ray, 3d and UHD content and most 4k streaming content looks great.

Epson 5040ub
LG 65E6P OLED
Yamaha RX-A3070
Panasonic DP-UB820
post #5486 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6848 Post(s)
Liked: 6845
post #5487 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just got my E6, 604 revision. I gotta say the white uniformity exceeds any EF9500 I owned. There's some banding in the near black, but haven't done any compensation cycles yet and it's still less than any EF. No dead subpixels. No tinting off angle. Have not done 20pt calibrated yet but PQ seems like a noticeable improvement in the near blacks. ABL seems noticeably less aggressive on PC use. 32ms input lag is noticeable faster than 50ms.

Only thing I could see being wrong is the 3D Layer but I won't get to test until later.
Congratulations man!! Welcome to the club!!! I'll be very interested in what types of tweaks you come up with
post #5488 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwong View Post
Here are a couple of things I would try to debug the issue:

1. Connect the PS4 directly to the TV, bypassing the receiver, and preferably on the same HDMI port as the receiver.

2. If the receiver has multiple HDMI outputs, connect it directly to the Sonos, bypassing the TV.

Hopefully this will let you narrow down to which component is at fault.

So here is the deal to get all components working well with each other.

1. There was an issue with the AVR trying to encode the audio from the PS4 to which the center channel was deleted.

2. The AVR would not allow me to do a "Pass Through" while I had the CEC enabled.

3. Once I disabled the CEC the AVR allowed me to send the full audio signal to the TV, which solved the issue. The problem was the AVR and not anything else.

4. CEC will not be missed on my end since it is not enabled on the TV. (I have a mono directional cable going to the TV from the AVR so therefore CEC can not be used properly)

Thanks again to everyone for al the help.
dkwong and fhschellenberg like this.

-Koffeegy

LG 65E6P - Pioneer PRO-151FD - Pioneer SC-05 - SONOS Soundbars/Play 3's/Play 5's/Play 1's/Subwoffers - Panasonic 58VT25 - PlayStation 3 - PlayStation 4
post #5489 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Well dear baby Jesus my tv is finally being delivered tomorrow. Only took 16 days to get here. Smh. Although with my luck the driver will get in an accident or something. Will post my thoughts once I've got it.
post #5490 of 22203 Old 06-01-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzDizz View Post
Well dear baby Jesus my tv is finally being delivered tomorrow. Only took 16 days to get here. Smh. Although with my luck the driver will get in an accident or something. Will post my thoughts once I've got it.
Man I was wondering what happened to you lol I thought u went to lg to slap the management for screwing up lol I'm glad it's all taken care of though
DizzDizz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page