2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87639Likes

post #781 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscotti View Post
I unboxed my LG and it is beauty. Couldn't wait to mount it. First things first. I inventoried the parts and found that I was missing one of the two brackets that keep the (very thin) screen from falling forward once it is mounted. The mounting on this unit is from the bottom of the sound bar which folds up behind the unit. The wall mount sits very low on the wall as opposed to a more vertical centered attachment. I don't want to try mounting this with only one bracket even though the second may just be redundant. Can you imagine the damage done if the screen ever swung out and down...

I contacted LG and told them about the missing part. They told me that they would send me one, however the best they could do was to ship it out in 7 to 10 days and they can not overnight it. So now I'm siting here with an $8K TV that I can't mount for at least two weeks. Can you spell BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE?

I contacted the dealer I bought this from in the hopes that since they do custom installs maybe some previous customer installed this using the base and they had some of the parts from that installation. They also informed that this is not the first time they have heard of this. In fact they have reached out to LG and informed them of the problem and LG was shipping them a few of these parts in case their customers have this same issue. They did not know when they would arrive.

So I'm shocked that I have an $8K appliance that I can't do anything with, and the best that LG can offer is a two week turn around time.

Does any of the new owners have this same issue? Is there an owner out there that isn't currently using these brackets and would be willing to lend me one till mine arrive? (I would pay all shipping and handling and send back a new bracket as soon as I get mine from LG)

Hope you all had a better initial experience with your new TV...

Mike
I could be wrong, but I believe the first owner, Ash, had a similar issue, and was told that the instructions incorrectly list that two are required. Perhaps he could chime in to confirm or deny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeClair12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscotti View Post
I unboxed my LG and it is beauty. Couldn't wait to mount it. First things first. I inventoried the parts and found that I was missing one of the two brackets that keep the (very thin) screen from falling forward once it is mounted. The mounting on this unit is from the bottom of the sound bar which folds up behind the unit. The wall mount sits very low on the wall as opposed to a more vertical centered attachment. I don't want to try mounting this with only one bracket even though the second may just be redundant. Can you imagine the damage done if the screen ever swung out and down...

I contacted LG and told them about the missing part. They told me that they would send me one, however the best they could do was to ship it out in 7 to 10 days and they can not overnight it. So now I'm siting here with an $8K TV that I can't mount for at least two weeks. Can you spell BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE?

I contacted the dealer I bought this from in the hopes that since they do custom installs maybe some previous customer installed this using the base and they had some of the parts from that installation. They also informed that this is not the first time they have heard of this. In fact they have reached out to LG and informed them of the problem and LG was shipping them a few of these parts in case their customers have this same issue. They did not know when they would arrive.

So I'm shocked that I have an $8K appliance that I can't do anything with, and the best that LG can offer is a two week turn around time.

Does any of the new owners have this same issue? Is there an owner out there that isn't currently using these brackets and would be willing to lend me one till mine arrive? (I would pay all shipping and handling and send back a new bracket as soon as I get mine from LG)

Hope you all had a better initial experience with your new TV...

Mike
I could be wrong, but I believe the first owner, Ash, had a similar issue, and was told that the instructions incorrectly list that two are required. Perhaps he could chime in to confirm or deny.
Actually I first posted this issue. I can tell you that none of the G6's shipped with two of those brackets as per Robert at VE who checked three accessory boxes in his store. If you look carefully at the manual you will see that the parts list indicates there should be two of these brackets however the instructions regarding the installation indicate that one bracket is used to secure the sound bar to the back of the TV. Robert ordered an extra one for me from LG and I actually expect to receive it today. I will be wall-mounting the TV next week Monday. I believe one bracket actually would be sufficient to hold the soundbar in place without risking anything but can't guarantee that of course.
A much bigger issue is that if you attempt to wall-mount to an existing wall mount instead of the LG static new wall mount which will be available in a couple of weeks you may end up with part of the mount extending below the TV because of the way the LG G6 attaches to wall-mounts. I believe that most wall mounts might need to reither be cut in order to get rid of the excess metal that will appear below the TV or have something placed in front in order to hide those extensions. I currently have a motorized wall-mount that tilts down and I fully expect that I'm going to have to do one or the other when it gets mounted next week.
BLeClair12 likes this.
post #783 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Already a few owners for days now,and not ONE photo or in depth review,us poor indecisive buyers waiting patiently,how pathetic!
comptr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 100
My handshake issues seem to have been cured with replacing the HDMI cables. I replaced the KabelDirekt cables I bought off Amazon with two that looked alike that I rummaged out of a box. They are generic thin cables. Wish I could give you a brand name.

My chain is Roku 4 and Oppo BluRay connected to a Denon W6200W and to the set through the ARC HDMI ports.

Also good news that the set will pass DD+ (but not Atmos) through the ARC connection. I thought I would be limited to DD through the optical connection. I was playing the Atmos demo clips on Vudu first though the set app with no Atmos output, and then through the Roku with Atmos. World of difference with the Atmos output.

I bought the ELAC A4 add on Atmos speakers ($230/pair) because they were cheap and they work fine sitting on my mains and surrounds.

Last edited by wensteph; 03-31-2016 at 01:26 PM.
post #785 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Mine came with the two brackets - my gripe was with bad instructions it took me a while to figure out how to install them..
post #786 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarCRO View Post
I can probably help you. I have a G6 which I am not wall mounting. Can you post a picture of the bracket(s) you are looking for?
Thank you so much for the offer. Another member of the forum has made the same offer and it is on its way.

Again,

Thank you very much...
Phil1975m likes this.
post #787 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 02:08 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Mine came with the two brackets - my gripe was with bad instructions it took me a while to figure out how to install them..
What was ,out did you use? Did the low attachment to the wall mount have any negative effects? I read on this forum that the current mounts have to be cut to hide them from view. Any suggestions on installation?

Thanks...
alamagar likes this.
post #788 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it was nhey that only received one, my mistake.

The whole setup of the G6 is quite perplexing to me. How did you go about mounting? It seems that putting brackets on would require the soundbar to be folded back, meaning you either need to lie the TV face down or place it back in the original box to install them? I'd be interested to hear how people are going about it, as I'm weighing my options between the G6 and E6, currently.

I've been trying to make out the brackets from the few pictures that have been posted post-mount, but I'm having a hard time understanding where they're placed. It's certainly an odd form factor.

Last edited by BLeClair12; 03-31-2016 at 02:30 PM.
post #789 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy3763 View Post
Already a few owners for days now,and not ONE photo or in depth review,us poor indecisive buyers waiting patiently,how pathetic!
My shallow review of my G6:

Unique, functional, elegant industrial design. I've got mine on a furniture stand and I love the way the stand and TV blend together. And, most importantly, my wife loves it.

Integrated sound bar works much, much better than expected. I also think it looks great.

Picture quality is really outstanding. I was shocked! Also impressed by how well non-4K material upscales.

My dog, who completely ignored my previous plasma, suddenly seems mesmerized by anything with animals in it. She approves. But I think she's really holding out for HD Smell-O-Rama.

If you can afford it, get it. You won't be sorry.
post #790 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 739
We put the TV face down on a carpet (with the foam still on the TV) and then bolted the stand using the brackets - My install does not need a flush mount see pictures in previous threads - so it works for me although it is not ideal..
I did only use the two screws on the mount instead of 4 - the screws are situated weird...
I wonder how much the G77 will protrude out as the sound bar for that will be much thicker.
post #791 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
We put the TV face down on a carpet (with the foam still on the TV) and then bolted the stand using the brackets - My install does not need a flush mount see pictures in previous threads - so it works for me although it is not ideal..
I did only use the two screws on the mount instead of 4 - the screws are situated weird...
I wonder how much the G77 will protrude out as the sound bar for that will be much thicker.
Interesting. I don't need a flush mount, and I'm dealing with a flat wall, so I'm not particularly worried about anything in that department. I think my plan, providing I do go with the G6, will be to simply use it table top (as I'm doing with my EF9500 now, which is not ideal, because I have to put it on an ugly riser, but it works) and wait for the official LG mount to hit the street before getting it mounted.
alamagar likes this.
post #792 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy3763 View Post
I get mine tomorrow. Depending on WHEN I get it tomorrow vs when my wife comes home from work I will work on pictures and putting my meter to the screen. I'll also toss up stills from movies if people like. I have a very extensive collection and will take requests and specific time stamp scenes if people want
post #793 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
I get mine tomorrow. Depending on WHEN I get it tomorrow vs when my wife comes home from work I will work on pictures and putting my meter to the screen. I'll also toss up stills from movies if people like. I have a very extensive collection and will take requests and specific time stamp scenes if people want
Now this is music to my ears
thank you!
Franchot, mattg3 and shyguy3763 like this.
post #794 of 22220 Old 03-31-2016, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I noticed in pictures that the speaker fins on the G6 are designed to face you when table mounted

However when the tv is wall-mounted (and you fold the speakers backward), it seems that the speaker fins are pointing downwards, which I assume means the sounds is pointing downwards?

Are owners hearing any loss in sound quality in the wall-mounted position?
post #795 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've read somewhere that the speakers rotate too in order to always point forward...
can't find the source right now. But owners shall know that.
post #796 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Do you also game?

If so, could you see how well it responds for you?

And I don’t mean necessarily testing the actual input lag with a Bodnar meter, I know it’s been tested at 34ms. But that doesn’t mean a lot (for me) as I don’t know how quick that number is. Have nothing to compare it to (don’t know what the number is for my TV, it’s too old when checking the site).

Just looking for impressions on quick it responds for you, or if you notice any delay. But again, if you don’t game, then just disregard my request.

And this request goes out to any of those that purchase this TV and do game, please feel free to let me (us) know how well it responds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mporter View Post
Picture quality is really outstanding. I was shocked! Also impressed by how well non-4K material upscales.
Thank you for your short review. It is great to hear that it upscales very well, that is one of my concerns.

What is the source you are upscaling from? Satellite, cable TV? And are you referring to just 1080, or is 720 also upscaling very well?

Last edited by Hobbun; 04-01-2016 at 07:31 AM.
post #797 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post
Quote:
Do you also game?

If so, could you see how well it responds for you?

And I don?t mean necessarily testing the actual input lag with a Bodnar meter, I know it?s been tested at 34ms. But that doesn?t mean a lot (for me) as I don?t know how quick that number is. Have nothing to compare it to (don?t know what the number is for my TV, it?s too old when checking the site).

Just looking for impressions on quick it responds for you, or if you notice any delay. But again, if you don?t game, then just disregard my request.

And this request goes out to any of those that purchase this TV and do game, please feel free to let me (us) know how well it responds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mporter View Post
Thank you for your short review. It is great to hear that it upscales very well, that is one of my concerns.

What is the source you are upscaling from? Satellite, cable TV? And are you referring to just 1080, or is 720 also upscaling very well?
I have a ps4, not a heavy gamer, but I do have call of duty and battlefield games I can try
post #798 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 09:05 AM

That would be great. Thank you.
post #799 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 09:10 AM

Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan92075 View Post
I noticed in pictures that the speaker fins on the G6 are designed to face you when table mounted

However when the tv is wall-mounted (and you fold the speakers backward), it seems that the speaker fins are pointing downwards, which I assume means the sounds is pointing downwards?

Are owners hearing any loss in sound quality in the wall-mounted position?
There are two sets of speakers. When using the soundbar as a stand, a set of speakers fire forward and a set fire up. When you fold the soundbar behind the TV for wall mounting, the previously up firing speakers fire forward, and the previously forward firing speakers fire down.
post #800 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I have a ps4, not a heavy gamer, but I do have call of duty and battlefield games I can try
I too am super excited to hear about your findings since I do a LOT of gaming on my TV, thanks for your effort!
koffeegy likes this.
post #801 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
That would be great. Thank you.
Did you ever have an EF9500 by chance?

I only ask because, while I'm not a serious gamer, I do play a variety of games quite regularly (from shooters to Madden to WWE to UFC to Mass Effect types), and going to the EF9500 from the Samsung JS9500, which has pretty great numbers in the lag department, was of concern to me.

I was happy to find absolutely no detrimental difference, and in fact, was only impacted positively because games look better on OLED than they ever have before.

Everyone is different, of course, but I suspect you'll be pretty happy with the gaming experience, especially considering the G6 and company have even improved upon the EF's numbers.
Hobbun and Tomcup like this.
post #802 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:

I only ask because, while I'm not a serious gamer, I do play a variety of games quite regularly (from shooters to Madden to WWE to UFC to Mass Effect types), and going to the EF9500 from the Samsung JS9500, which has pretty great numbers in the lag department, was of concern to me.

I was happy to find absolutely no detrimental difference, and in fact, was only impacted positively because games look better on OLED than they ever have before.

Everyone is different, of course, but I suspect you'll be pretty happy with the gaming experience, especially considering the G6 and company have even improved upon the EF's numbers.
No, I never had a 9500. I was thinking of purchasing one last fall, but held off with all of the reported issues it was experiencing. Didn't want to go through the panel lottery.

That’s why I am excited to hear about the new LGs, as it sounds like these issues have been resolved, or at least mostly. I haven’t heard much negative from them.

Although I am glad to hear the 9500 appears to be doing well for you. And yes, if you aren’t noticing a lot of lag with the 9500, I probably won’t notice any with the new models. As you said, the number is much improved from the 9500. I'm actually looking into getting the E6.

Thanks for your input, it really helped.

Are you thinking of upgrading to one of the new LGs?
post #803 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Did you have any issues with image retention, such as playing a game for a few hours that has a static HUD? (Destiny comes to mind)
post #804 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
No, I never had a 9500. I was thinking of purchasing one last fall, but held off with all of the reported issues it was experiencing. Didn't want to go through the panel lottery.

That’s why I am excited to hear about the new LGs, as it sounds like these issues have been resolved, or at least mostly. I haven’t heard much negative from them.

Although I am glad to hear the 9500 appears to be doing well for you. And yes, if you aren’t noticing a lot of lag with the 9500, I probably won’t notice any with the new models. As you said, the number is much improved from the 9500. I'm actually looking into getting the E6.

Thanks for your input, it really helped.

Are you thinking of upgrading to one of the new LGs?
I am, yes. I happened to get a particular serious case of banding that is quite prominent even above the 10% area. As a result, I see a lot of jailbar like issues on even brighter content at the slightest hint of a pan. Otherwise, though, I've become too enamored with the overall performance of OLED to look elsewhere. I often find myself marveling at even the most mundane of scenes. I've gone through far too many TVs in the past year (though not nearly as many as some here), and I'm ready to be done with the process, so I'm going to spring some extra cash and go "big", so to speak, with either the G6 or E6. Considering the positive results we've seen thus far, I assume I'll be immensely pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reson8er View Post
Did you have any issues with image retention, such as playing a game for a few hours that has a static HUD? (Destiny comes to mind)
Unfortunately, I'm probably not the best person to ask in that particular department. My sessions usually don't last more than a couple of hours in a single sitting, and I can't recall a game I've played on it thus far that had a singular, static HUD for the entire duration (I've only had the set a couple of weeks, so while I've sampled various games to check for any lag issues I may detect, I haven't played an overarching scope.) I've yet to see any image retention issues whatsoever, though, be it on station bugs or other still images. Anything that might have been there was cleaned up by the comp cycle upon shutdown.

Long time owners of the set have more or less dispelled any concerns over long term burn in/IR. The only time it's been reported, to my knowledge, is on the sets playing loops at Best Buy, for example.
post #805 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Long time owners of the set have more or less dispelled any concerns over long term burn in/IR. The only time it's been reported, to my knowledge, is on the sets playing loops at Best Buy, for example.
Thanks very much, I really appreciate the info.
post #806 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I never had any image retention on my Ef set but I definitely had my concerns coming from plasma. I had a vt60 though which had an anti image retention/burn in program and I think the newer oleds have something similar. Over Christmas my brother in law left my tv on all night with the disc menu screen to guardians of the galaxy playing and I was worried I was gonna have a cassette tape burned into my screen. Fortunately that wasn't the case even after 4 hours of the same screen
post #807 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I am, yes. I happened to get a particular serious case of banding that is quite prominent even above the 10% area. As a result, I see a lot of jailbar like issues on even brighter content at the slightest hint of a pan. Otherwise, though, I've become too enamored with the overall performance of OLED to look elsewhere. I often find myself marveling at even the most mundane of scenes. I've gone through far too many TVs in the past year (though not nearly as many as some here), and I'm ready to be done with the process, so I'm going to spring some extra cash and go "big", so to speak, with either the G6 or E6. Considering the positive results we've seen thus far, I assume I'll be immensely pleased.
Ouch. Ok, I guess the 9500 hasn’t done too well for you. Yes, that was one of the issues I was referring to (banding).

I’m sure I’ll have someone come along here and say “it’s just inherent to the technology and you’ll always have it”. I think that’s just an excuse and it is something LG should make sure is fixed. From what I am hearing of the new OLEDs, it sounds like it (mostly) is. If it shows up on my TV, it probably won’t be something I will notice from what I’ve seen of the owner comments and pictures so far.

I’m excited about the new line coming out, as my television is really starting to get bad now (optic block is failing on my Sony SXRD). But still going to wait to read more user input, as well as actual critic reviews. As well as of course look at the TV in person. Hope the reviews start to come out soon.
post #808 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 387
I have the G6 and will be hosting a Movie and couch multiplayer gaming night tonight. My previous TV was a Samsung Plasma which seemed to be quite good to game on. Most of the games will be fast twitch fest games like TowerFall Ascension, Paperbound, Sportsfriends, & Broforce. I will see if I notice any difference while playing.
L0giX likes this.
post #809 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 10:49 AM

I look forward to hearing about your results!

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Hobbun; 04-01-2016 at 10:55 AM.
post #810 of 22220 Old 04-01-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarCRO View Post
I have the G6 and will be hosting a Movie and couch multiplayer gaming night tonight. My previous TV was a Samsung Plasma which seemed to be quite good to game on. Most of the games will be fast twitch fest games like TowerFall Ascension, Paperbound, Sportsfriends, & Broforce. I will see if I notice any difference while playing.
Fantastic, enjoy! Looking forward to your impressions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page