2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87611Likes

post #901 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post
Yes, we bought one and I'd like to keep it.
I don't understand why some people think the review was negative. Please remember the job of a scientific review is to be critical.
Given the flurry of post, I want to be sure that you saw my earlier post and had an opportunity to respond.

I see that dE of less than 3 is considered "not appreciable to the eye" in the post calibration color saturation tracking. Isn't the dE 3 limit intended for dE 94 where with the dE 2000 its 1? Note the green dE line in the chart.

Another way to approach this is to use Calman Colormatch (aka colorchecker) setting the option "make colors contiguous" and compare measured colors to targets.

I'm sure somebody is going to say that if you can't see the difference, then it doesn't matter. I actually agree with that however what I'm saying is that you should be able to see the difference with those dEs. I also think at this price level, its reasonable to expect reference quality. For comparison purposes, check out the saturation sweep on this VT60. https://www.avsforum.com/attachments/69129
Turrican4D likes this.

Last edited by JimP; 04-03-2016 at 05:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhey View Post
I'm getting the "your set does not support HDCP 2.2, switching to 1080P output" when playing a UHD disc with the Samsung player on the G6. However, the TV does switch to HDR picture mode. Is it possible the Samsung is actually sending UHD to the TV even though the message says differently??
You are actually getting a 1080p HDR at that point. I found turning the tv off then back on fixed the handshake there at least on mine
How do you know that is happening? If you are right, then the Samsung player needs to be on before the TV is turned on. Right?
post #903 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Well, I was just speculating, but if you check Wizziwig's post following mine, he also speculates this could be a technical limitation the solution for which would result in an even costlier TV (if even possible at all). You seem to have a lot of anxiety about the motion but have yet to view one for yourself. That's what I would recommend first.
Yes, you could be right and I am just worrying about something that I haven't even seen yet. Believe me, I do plan to go see the television in person before I purchase. But the nearest store (ABT Electronics) that should have it set up doesn't right now as apparently one of the pedestals for the display of the TV is in the process of getting replaced (it had broken). So once that gets replaced, they indicate it will be on display again. Although I just may wait until they set up the E6, as they indicated it should be displayed as well, and that is the TV I am actually planning on purchasing.

As for my anxiety, I guess it's because of my experience with motion resolution in the past. The current projection TV it is something I don't notice, but I do remember years back (about 8-9 now), a family member purchasing and showing off their new LCD TV and it did look nice! But then I began to watch a movie and was thinking "Wait, what was that?" after someone moved. Then I noticed again. It was an obvious 'blur' when any other kind of movement happened. I brought it up to them, and they indicated it isn't something they saw.

So when I purchased my projection TV not long after that, I deliberately did not go with LCD due to concerns about motion (plasma was out of my price range). And why now I do get nervous when I still hear about issues with motion resolution, with how I noticed it (and how bad it was) on that prior TV years back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm getting the "your set does not support HDCP 2.2, switching to 1080P output" when playing a UHD disc with the Samsung player on the G6. However, the TV does switch to HDR picture mode. Is it possible the Samsung is actually sending UHD to the TV even though the message says differently??
You are actually getting a 1080p HDR at that point. I found turning the tv off then back on fixed the handshake there at least on mine
How do you know that is happening? If you are right, then the Samsung player needs to be on before the TV is turned on. Right?
I just tried it- turning on Samsung player BEFORE the LG does solve the problem!
post #905 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoupe2003 View Post
Well I have finally joined the owners circle!!!!!
If you could take some side-by-side comparison pics with the Samsung, those would be very informative.
post #906 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Given the flurry of post, I want to be sure that you saw my earlier post and had an opportunity to respond.

I see that dE of less than 3 is considered "not appreciable to the eye" in the post calibration color saturation tracking. Isn't the dE 3 limit intended for dE 94 where with the dE 2000 its 1? Note the green dE line in the chart.

Another way to approach this is to use Calman Colormatch (aka colorchecker) setting the option "make colors contiguous" and compare measured colors to targets.
Good point, we should probably be more specific with the wording.

David Mackenzie
Blu-ray Disc (and DVD) Compressionist/Author
US Correspondent & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
ISF Certified Calibrator (Level 2) / THX Certified Professional (Video Calibration Level 2)
post #907 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
So as requested, here is the dual screen functionality of the tv. Got blu Ray on the left ps4 on the right. And a scene from beast with no nation. I'm not seeing banding but I am seeing compression artifacts... But they are lessened when watching with gamma 2.4. The picture taken was in 2.2
Thanks for taking them time for that..look like there's no banding from the shot how did it look while it was playing and he was in the room with the lights flickering ..is your tv mounted ? Or sitting
post #908 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
So as requested, here is the dual screen functionality of the tv. Got blu Ray on the left ps4 on the right.
Thanks, that function will come in handy.
The pink tint to the left and blue to the right is due to the camera?

LG C7D
post #909 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
I just tried it- turning on Samsung player BEFORE the LG does solve the problem!

But it still plays it in 1080p. At least on mine

Sony XBR-65A1E, XBR-55A1E, Marantz AV8805, AV7704
Naim SN3, Hi-Cap DR, NDX2, Naim Unity Core, Emotiva XPA-9, A-5175
Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Evoke 10, 2X REL S/812, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz D2 Power Distribution,A2 and X Power and speaker cables
post #910 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic2186 View Post
Quote:
So as requested, here is the dual screen functionality of the tv. Got blu Ray on the left ps4 on the right. And a scene from beast with no nation. I'm not seeing banding but I am seeing compression artifacts... But they are lessened when watching with gamma 2.4. The picture taken was in 2.2
Thanks for taking them time for that..look like there's no banding from the shot how did it look while it was playing and he was in the room with the lights flickering ..is your tv mounted ? Or sitting
I didn't really pay attention to the scene that much, I was concentrating on looking for banding. The tv is not mounted
post #911 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
Quote:

As long as I don't get the message about "your tv is not 2.2 compliant" mine plays in uhd. Can definitely tell the difference at least to my eyes, my receiver also shows its playing 4k (at least on my ef9500)
Now I run into a situation where I'm not getting image through hdmi 1 if I run a single hdmi out from my receiver and the 4K player going to the receiver. Only seems to work if I do a straight line from the player to the tv. Still trying to play with it to see if I can find a fix...

Last edited by Wjboshart; 04-03-2016 at 09:15 AM.
post #912 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post
Quote:
So as requested, here is the dual screen functionality of the tv. Got blu Ray on the left ps4 on the right.
Thanks, that function will come in handy.
The pink tint to the left and blue to the right is due to the camera?
That's just my trusty iphone
Yappadappadu likes this.
post #913 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

When you turn on the Samsung first do you still get the "your TV does not support HDCP 2.2"?? I don't.
post #914 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When you turn on the Samsung first do you still get the "your TV does not support HDCP 2.2"?? I don't.

Hell. Half the time if I do that I get no image on the tv input. I am running to hdmi 1 for video and audio to my x7200.

Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Evoke 10, 2X REL S/812, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz D2 Power Distribution,A2 and X Power and speaker cables
post #915 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Hell. Half the time if I do that I get no image on the tv input. I am running to hdmi 1 for video and audio to my x7200.
I have run into the exact same problem. These are some of the major issues with the Samsung player. They are definitely not doing the handshaking correctly with HDCP 2.2 devices. They have also not updated the player in several weeks.

jnelson2000, didn't you have a ticket open with Samsung from last week on this very issue.

Personally I am not very optimistic Samsung will fix all the problems with their player and the apps on their player and so I am hoping the LG and Oppo come out with the Dolby Vision compatible UHD Players that can properly support the TV and my HDCP 2.2 compatible receiver.
post #916 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarCRO View Post
I have run into the exact same problem. These are some of the major issues with the Samsung player. They are definitely not doing the handshaking correctly with HDCP 2.2 devices. They have also not updated the player in several weeks.

jnelson2000, didn't you have a ticket open with Samsung from last week on this very issue.

Personally I am not very optimistic Samsung will fix all the problems with their player and the apps on their player and so I am hoping the LG and Oppo come out with the Dolby Vision compatible UHD Players that can properly support the TV and my HDCP 2.2 compatible receiver.

Yeah. I have tickets open with LG and Samsung. I hate Samsung support. Only thing that might be going for us is same issues are happening on other sets from other manufacturers than LG.

post #917 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
@lyris

Thanks for a thorough and interesting review David.
Can I ask, Is this the best consumer tv you have reviewed and discounting the curve, is it better than the Panasonic OLED (available in the UK)
Thanks.
post #918 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Compared to the Panasonic OLED: I think they're around equal. Panasonic maybe had slightly better uniformity (and definitely better calibration control implementation) but the LG is flat, which means I prefer it.

"The best consumer TV" is very hard to answer because it depends on the technology of the day. When (what turned out to be) the last Panasonic plasmas rolled around, I felt that the engineers couldn't really have done anything to make them better within the limitations of that technology, and that the remaining limitations weren't a big deal.

It's certainly the one I would buy right now if I was spending my own money and wanted a TV this second.

David Mackenzie
ISF Certified Calibrator (Level 2) / THX Certified Professional (Video Calibration Level 2)
post #919 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Compared to the Panasonic OLED: I think they're around equal. Panasonic maybe had slightly better uniformity (and definitely better calibration control implementation) but the LG is flat, which means I prefer it.

"The best consumer TV" is very hard to answer because it depends on the technology of the day. When (what turned out to be) the last Panasonic plasmas rolled around, I felt that the engineers couldn't really have done anything to make them better within the limitations of that technology, and that the remaining limitations weren't a big deal.

It's certainly the one I would buy right now if I was spending my own money and wanted a TV this second.
Thanks for a quick reply. I presently have the Panasonic 65VT65 and am looking at buying a 65E6 Hope it's more than a sideways move
post #920 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner still View Post
@lyris

Thanks for a thorough and interesting review David.
Can I ask, Is this the best consumer tv you have reviewed and discounting the curve, is it better than the Panasonic OLED (available in the UK)
Thanks.
I know you weren't asking me but...

there are some aspects of PQ that referenced plasmas still do better such as uniformity and motion resolution but the LG OLEDs have HDR capability. Does HDR PQ make up for its deficiencies and therefore offer better overall PQ??? I guess you're going to find out!

Also, the OLEDs are much better with 3D PQ but it sounds like it's too late to turn the tide on that.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #921 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
there are some aspects of PQ that referenced plasmas still do better such as uniformity and motion resolution but the LG OLEDs have HDR capability. Does HDR PQ make up for its deficiencies and therefore offer better overall PQ??? I guess you're going to find out!
It's my opinion that PDP motion is still better, but of course that came at the expense of single-pixel noise (or single-width, double-height pixel noise in the case of most Panasonic 3D, but I digress) in fast motion areas. I'd still take PDP motion because the dither isn't discernible from a few feet back, whereas motion blur is regardless of where you're sat.

Whether or not HDR makes up for the areas that still aren't as good as (and may never be as good as) PDP depends on how much you care for HDR. I think most people do, and once they see it done well will love it. I do. So yes, for me it does.

David Mackenzie
post #922 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Is there a special service menu which shows the number of hours accumulated on the G6? How do you access it? I believe last year's sets have such a menu.
post #923 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there a special service menu which shows the number of hours accumulated on the G6? How do you access it? I believe last year's sets have such a menu.
Go to the menu that allows you to check for firmware update. There is a spot that says "about this tv" click on it for hours and other info
vaktmestern and Yappadappadu like this.
post #924 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Good to know. Hopefully the European sets will have that as well.
Still makes no sense to me that some US LG OLEDs have the hours counter somewhere in the normal webOS menu, while their EU equivalents don't, e.g. the 55EC9300/930V.
Why do this, LG?
L0giX likes this.

LG C7D
post #925 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner still View Post
Thanks for a quick reply. I presently have the Panasonic 65VT65 and am looking at buying a 65E6 Hope it's more than a sideways move
By and large, zero blacks provides for a new engrossing dimension in viewing, even for most of us coming from plasma (I owned a ZT60, a power-hungry IR magnet), color errors that you can't readily detect without a reference notwithstanding...the last nut to crack is near-black uniformity. That's simply going to be an ongoing process that improves year-over-year methinks.
hobbs47 and Masterbrew2 like this.
post #926 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
Quote:
It's my opinion that PDP motion is still better, but of course that came at the expense of single-pixel noise (or single-width, double-height pixel noise in the case of most Panasonic 3D, but I digress) in fast motion areas. I'd still take PDP motion because the dither isn't discernible from a few feet back, whereas motion blur is regardless of where you're sat.

Whether or not HDR makes up for the areas that still aren't as good as (and may never be as good as) PDP depends on how much you care for HDR. I think most people do, and once they see it done well will love it. I do. So yes, for me it does.
At least with motion blur on OLED, it doesn't look unnatural to my eyes (frame interpolation will obviously result in less of it but simultaneously create more of a smoothing effect; all compromises of course). And you really can't overstate the value of zero blacks (especially if you don't use bias lighting...of course, HDR may make one necessary due to eye strain ).
Magnesus likes this.
post #927 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
I'm also having handshake issues with my Samsung 4K player, but I believe that is the Samsung not the g6 at fault as everyone else and their variety of tvs have been having issues.
I'm baffled by these reports (not challenging their validity), because I have not encountered similar problems with my UHD/TV setup (see sig). I would think they used the same HDMI chips in both the 2016 and 2015 OLEDs as I know of nothing "newer" than HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 available.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #928 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
I also have a "1 cable" connection to my AVR and sometimes get "no image" (as in blank) somewhat randomly, but after playing a disk. The only way I get it back is to power cycle...but with a "rest" time in between (like 5+ minutes). The latter part makes no sense (power cycle with no wait doesn't do the trick).

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #929 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
I also have a "1 cable" connection to my AVR and sometimes get "no image" (as in blank) somewhat randomly, but after playing a disk. The only way I get it back is to power cycle...but with a "rest" time in between (like 5+ minutes). The latter part makes no sense (power cycle with no wait doesn't do the trick).

I have a two cable. My bad of wording.

post #930 of 22086 Old 04-03-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My setup is k8500 4K player to onkyo rz900 to hdmi 1. When I first set up everything I wasn't getting any picture. Tv would say no source detected. I switched hd ultra deep color off on the tv and had picture for all of ten seconds and then it went back to no signal...
I then turned deep color back on in the tv and now it works again? I wish I knew on which end the hick up occurs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page