2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87632Likes

post #991 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
Here are 2 shots from hdr10 material (mad max) one in standard one in vivid...images don't really do justice of how bright it gets...standard HD material I have my OLED setting at 40
What would be the corresponding brightness setting of the normal blu-ray version? Pretty low, right?
The blu ray version is somewhere in the middle but less detailed. First image is HDR, next is blu ray. Citadel is more defined in the HDR version but overall not as bright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1459793548375.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1358402   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1459793565728.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1358410  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

So Kuro owners out there, you may want to check out this set. This is a keeper.

Oh, one last thought. Early on, I had concerns about the soap opera effect. It was there and concerning. However, after tweaking some of the settings others suggested, it is diminished to the point it is no longer an issue. Last, the feature to clean up noise has been terrific. Each day, the picture has been better and better. I am glad I made the purchase. Love it!
How would you compare the motion to your Kuro after changing the settings? I've only seen motion on last years 9500/9600. SOE was terrible, but when settings were adjusted to lower it, I saw flicker trails with medium pans and even people walking.

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com
post #993 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
I'm coming into this thread a little late and it might have been ask before but how is gaming on the G6? Any PS4 or Xbox One gamers here?
koffeegy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
How would you compare the motion to your Kuro after changing the settings? I've only seen motion on last years 9500/9600. SOE was terrible, but when settings were adjusted to lower it, I saw flicker trails with medium pans and even people walking.
I have yet to find a Kuro owner that had anything negative to say about their display. In fact, most of us had kind of a smugness that indicated, "I have the best display".

I did notice the soap opera effect that scared the living daylights out of me on the G6. However, after tweaking and after the set went through it's cycle to improve picture, it is diminished to the point where it is no longer an issue.

I know, I know, I just repeated what I said before. However, we all see things different and I want to ensure I am projecting my observations objectively. As I stated, I am not an expert and I certainly don't look for flaws. If I found one, that would be all I see. I could not tell you the difference between vignetting and vinegar.

Therefore, I just try and play the part of average Joe, the consumer and user. From that perspective, I am absolutely amazed.

Each day has been better than the next. One, I am more comfortable with the set and now know what to do when I have handshake issues as mentioned before.

The colors are vibrant, rich but not phony looking. All content including watching NFL highlights have been superb.

4K content has been exceptional. As some mentioned, content will be some good, some not as good and some spectacular. Black and white is vibrant and striking. 3D is in a league of it's own.

As I mentioned before, the soap opera effect was very concerning initially. Watching Dark Matter on Netflix was troubling. It is a show I thoroughly enjoyed and when I watched it on the G6 I was afraid I may not ever watch it again. It was that bad. Not now. Whether it was the tweaks mentioned or the set settling in. Whatever, it is better than my Kuro and Kuro owners don't say anything like that lightly.

Therefore, if you are in the market, I would suggest you wait until it is on display at a local store. In this way, you can go in and see for yourself.

Let your own eyes be the judge. Mine say this. This is the best display I have ever seen.

Can't wait for the new 4K Blu Ray to get here.

Now, if only Roku can get it's act together. There is some content that takes forever to download and play back is hesitant and choppy and unplayable. That appears to be one particular station. Amazon and Netflix work just fine.

Last, you mentioned the flicker trails. I watched NFL content on NFL network on Direct TV as well as the NFL channel on Roku.

Direct TV NFL network was flawless. Spectacular if I dare to be so bold. However, on Roku, there were trails and motion issues. That said, I experienced the same thing with my Kuro on the Roku. I don't know why that is. However, it is not the LG since I experienced the same thing with the Kuro. That said, all live NFL I will be watching on Direct TV which is something I am very much looking forward to.
shyguy3763, x43x, koffeegy and 2 others like this.

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-04-2016 at 12:36 PM.
post #995 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 93
jingrande, what are the ‘tweaks’ you keep making reference to that eliminated/really improved the soap opera effect? What numbers did you put the settings at?
koffeegy likes this.
post #996 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I'm coming into this thread a little late and it might have been ask before but how is gaming on the G6? Any PS4 or Xbox One gamers here?
No worries...I have ps4. I have deep color on whether that provides a discernible difference... I play fps and action games and they are beautiful! Just cause 3 explosions are amazing to say the least...currently sucked in to fall out 4...I had bought maybe 6 or 7 games last November and have been slowly playing through them and just recently got to this gem, invested maybe 12 hours or so all ready
helvetica bold and koffeegy like this.
post #997 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 216
My experience with upscaling with my G6 has been good. Network OTA broadcasts look great. Sharp with no artifacts. I haven't seen any of the problems the reviewer mentioned. The network broadcasts which I get as add-ons to my Directv service look great too.

However, my experience is with Directv output from a HR54 Genie connected to Directv's OTA tuner. Also, from an Apple TV4, which outputs nice, clean 1080p.
post #998 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
No worries...I have ps4. I have deep color on whether that provides a discernible difference... I play fps and action games and they are beautiful! Just cause 3 explosions are amazing to say the least...currently sucked in to fall out 4...I had bought maybe 6 or 7 games last November and have been slowly playing through them and just recently got to this gem, invested maybe 12 hours or so all ready
How is your response time? Noticing any delay?
post #999 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post
jingrande, what are the ‘tweaks’ you keep making reference to that eliminated/really improved the soap opera effect? What numbers did you put the settings at?
Oh my! Talk about being put on the spot. Ok, Cinema with true motion and motion off. That created a look I was very much used to with my Kuro. However, now greatly enhanced with bright, more vivid colors and a sharpness one could not believe possible.
post #1000 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
It's funny you mention this as I was looking into only getting internet. I spend about $250/month with FIOS for TV/Internet/Home phone. I have 2 DVRs and 4 or 5 premium movie channels. I can switch to internet only for $49/mo. I assume it will be more like $60 with fees, but still a huge savings. I'll mainly miss sporting events that I can't get with an antenna, but I think over time everything will be available online.
You can still get all the sporting stuff like ESPN with 3-4 feeds al a cart for $4.99 month....Look into it. With phone service the cable companies wanted $30.00 a month with features extra...I got a magicJack that is full featured for $99.00 for 5 YEARS....It's worth the change.
post #1001 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Oh my! Talk about being put on the spot. Ok, Cinema with true motion and motion off. That created a look I was very much used to with my Kuro. However, now greatly enhanced with bright, more vivid colors and a sharpness one could not believe possible.
So the tweak was leaving TruMotion off? That makes it simple.

What about (motion) blurring or judder then, in leaving it off?
post #1002 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
It's 34 ms (Bodnar at HDTV http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oled6...1604014268.htm) but that's at 1080P which is only adequate for console plebs. The real question is: What is the input lag at 4k for PC gaming (The way god intended)?

Generally speaking, gaming at native resolution has lower input lag than upscaled displays.
post #1003 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhearn View Post
Interested in owners opinions of the above article's observation of the G6's upscaling abilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRK View Post
The critical information missing from this review is the identity of the playback deck being used. Different players have different up-scaling abilities. If I purchase a 2016 LG OLED, I'm going to purchase an Oppo that plays 4K and up-scales discs with lesser res (regular blu-ray and DVD). Before the author throws out their DVD collection, they should check the quality of their playback apparatus. Remember the big difference in up-scaling quality when tech made the leap to HD?
post #1004 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastuch View Post
It's 34 ms (Bodnar at HDTV http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oled6...1604014268.htm) but that's at 1080P which is only adequate for console plebs. The real question is: What is the input lag at 4k for PC gaming (The way god intended)?

Generally speaking, gaming at native resolution has lower input lag than upscaled displays.
Yes, I know it has been measured at 34ms. I should have clarified in “do you ‘notice’ any delay/response time while playing?”

My problem is I don’t know how 34ms compares to my TV (it's too old to have been tested), so the number really doesn’t mean anything to me. So I was asking Wjboshart if he is noticing any delay while playing.
post #1005 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
So the tweak was leaving TruMotion off? That makes it simple.

What about (motion) blurring or judder then, in leaving it off?
I don't know. I have not noticed any other than the Roku NFL content I mentioned previous. However, I also had that same issue with my Kuro which was professionally calibrated.

I am still in the breaking in phase. I expect to tweak the set more as I learn more about it and also consider a professional calibration later.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase.
post #1006 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastuch View Post

You come off as sounding like an elitist with statements like this, please don't bring that kind of nonsense to AVS.
Masterbrew2 likes this.
post #1007 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I don't know. I have not noticed any other than the Roku NFL content I mentioned previous. However, I also had that same issue with my Kuro which was professionally calibrated.

I am still in the breaking in phase. I expect to tweak the set more as I learn more about it and also consider a professional calibration later.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase.
Ok, thanks for your impressions!
post #1008 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So whats happening with regular 24p bluray material. You get a cinema mode and it runs flawlessly as it should? No stuttering and ****? The look like in the cinema.
And what about sharpness during sport events. Not as good as a good Plasma I suppose but better than LCDs?
post #1009 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB4OLED View Post
pointlessly OTT review. Basically a sales job
Yappadappadu likes this.
post #1010 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
"Cable" boxes are odd. I'm not sure about the last few years, but I think it's still the case that you'll get nothing HD out of comcast nor FIOS that isn't 1080i. (Streaming always has been different, as has satellite).

That the box allows you to send other resolutions, and even 1080p, doesn't change the fact that it was changed *at* the box. That most of the broadcasts show up at comcast's and verizon's door (before reaching your box) as 720p similarly doesn't matter because they then send it to the box as 1080i and the box can't allow you to send the originating 720 to your screen because it simply never had it. And if it does allow the sending (for legacy 720 only displays...oye), it'll only be an in-box conversion from the 1080i. Basically, everything is a lose-lose there unless you hand off to the TV 1080i and let it deal with it from there. Again this is for HD.

Some channels (at least on FIOS) do seem to be ED (the DVD "SD"), which is great, because they are remarkably clean.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please, because I currently haven't cut the cable yet and would love to know if something changed.
No idea where you've come up with those ideas. On FIOS where most channels are not encrypted, you can easily save recordings to a PC and check their content. Everything is broadcast in its original format. Everything owned by Fox (News, FX, Nat Geo, etc.) is sent 720p. Everything owned by Disney (ABC, ESPN, etc.) is also sent 720p. Most everything else is 1080i. SD Channels are sent 480i. I previously had TWC and they also didn't change format. They all do stat muxing which reduces bitrates to make as many channels as possible fit into available bandwidth.

Once those transport streams hit your DVR/STB, then it's up to you what happens. Most people set the output of their STB to a constant 1080i or 720p because it's annoying to have your screen turn black for a few seconds while it's syncing to a resolution change. The better boxes like Tivos allow you to send everything out in original native format if you don't mind the HDMI resyncs.

When people complain about upscaling, they are generally grouping many different things together so it's difficult to say there the OLED is having issues. You have things like de-interlacing for 480i/1080i channels, noise reduction to hide compression artifacts, and scaling to panel native resolution. Picture is only as good as the weakest link.
post #1011 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I'll be honest since getting this set the only game I've played that would be affected by response time was the doom beta and that was kinda just a mad house to begin with
post #1012 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 509
You got some pics of Doom on the G6?
Played it on my Sony LED with super low input lag. I still sucked pretty bad.
With the G6/E6 me sucking in multiplayer will at least look great on the screen.

LG C7D
post #1013 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Last, you mentioned the flicker trails. I watched NFL content on NFL network on Direct TV as well as the NFL channel on Roku.

Direct TV NFL network was flawless. Spectacular if I dare to be so bold. However, on Roku, there were trails and motion issues. That said, I experienced the same thing with my Kuro on the Roku. I don't know why that is. However, it is not the LG since I experienced the same thing with the Kuro. That said, all live NFL I will be watching on Direct TV which is something I am very much looking forward to.
I believe flicker trails/judder is most apparent with 24hz video. I force 1080p/24 from an Oppo to my 151FD and don't have flicker trails during movie watching. I know some people are less sensitive to it than others so I'll have to see in person whether the LG settings can be adjusted to not be bothersome.

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com
post #1014 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post
I don't fully agree with the posters who think integer scaling without any filtering is the way to go, because it's visibly pixellated
That's why I specifically mentioned its use on PCs (for general desktop usage, not HTPC video-watching usage), because you need extremely high quality upscaling for things like GUIs and on-screen text to actually look better than it would with plain old 200%/300% nearest neighbor upscaling.

This is the very same reason why both Apple and Microsoft do 200% nearest neighbor scaling for software that is not high-DPI aware.
lyris and 10k like this.
post #1015 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
I believe flicker trails/judder is most apparent with 24hz video. I force 1080p/24 from an Oppo to my 151FD and don't have flicker trails during movie watching. I know some people are less sensitive to it than others so I'll have to see in person whether the LG settings can be adjusted to not be bothersome.
That was only on the Roku and only on NFL replays of games and highlights. I see no problem or issue on any other content and on Direct TV, football was amazing.

Let your eyes be the judge. This is by far the best display I have ever seen.
post #1016 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
The blu ray version is somewhere in the middle but less detailed. First image is HDR, next is blu ray. Citadel is more defined in the HDR version but overall not as bright.
If you watch Mad Max Fury Road in 3D - your jaw will drop to the floor..
You will observe so many many more objects people expressions - it is like watching this movie first time.
Magnesus likes this.
post #1017 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 549
So I now have the same HDCP 2.2 error with a C61k 4K box connected to a denon x7200wa and it refused to play watching the directv 4K channel 104. Had to power off the tv and then back on to get the handshake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65A1E, XBR-55A1E, Marantz AV8805, AV7704
Naim SN3, Hi-Cap DR, NDX2, Naim Unity Core, Emotiva XPA-9, A-5175
Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Evoke 10, 2X REL S/812, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz D2 Power Distribution,A2 and X Power and speaker cables
post #1018 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 725
What is the Zoom function in the G6? What is its purpose?
Thanks in advance.
post #1019 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
What is the Zoom function in the G6? What is its purpose?
Thanks in advance.
With most video devices, Zoom features let you watch different aspect ratios in a way you see fit. Zoom in 4x3 to 16x9 if you want to crop the picture, etc. I never use it, except for in July when the Tour is on. I use an iPad App to watch the Tour, which outputs via HDMI as a 4x3 letterbox. I can zoom in with my Oppo and output a 16x9 HD image to the display.

My Theater
x43x.com
post #1020 of 22198 Old 04-04-2016, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Watching Directv channel 104 which is DTVs first 4K linear channel. Looks stunning. Programming is blah, but picture detail is very good and is showing 2160p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65A1E, XBR-55A1E, Marantz AV8805, AV7704
Naim SN3, Hi-Cap DR, NDX2, Naim Unity Core, Emotiva XPA-9, A-5175
Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Evoke 10, 2X REL S/812, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz D2 Power Distribution,A2 and X Power and speaker cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page