2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87611Likes

post #1051 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
But the point of this post is that I NEVER SAW SUCH A DARK BLACK!!!! In the demo loop there were parts that had white text on a black background. The black was the darkest I had ever seen on ANY TV, including my dear Kuro! And this was not in a darkened room, but out on the main display floor.
Welcome to the club. OLED TVs have been furnishing 0 blacks since 2013.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Hi ALL,

I'm not an owner but I've been following this thread since the beginning. My current TV is one of the last Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro - 151 FDs that was available and its still going strong. So while I'm not in the market for a new TV, my Pio is getting on in years and may fail in the near future. I HATE LCDs and was following the OLED progress for a while and was disappointed when Samsung dropped their early models. So I'm excited about getting an LG OLED in the future.

The reason for my post was that I was in Best Buy for something and then walked around the TVs. This store did not have a Magnolia section so I wasn't even sure they would have an OLED on display but they did. It was only the EF9500 and was running a demo loop. Yes I know from the other threads that model had a bunch of problems that hopefully the new models have either corrected or minimized. But the point of this post is that I NEVER SAW SUCH A DARK BLACK!!!! In the demo loop there were parts that had white text on a black background. The black was the darkest I had ever seen on ANY TV, including my dear Kuro! And this was not in a darkened room, but out on the main display floor.

So bottom line is that whenever my Kuro dies I will be immediately ready to buy the latest model OLED that LG has to offer. And part of me can hardly wait!!!

Gerry
There are many of us Kuro and former Kuro owners that know what you are talking about. I felt the same way. I too followed the OLED threads and went and saw the EF 9500 at Best Buy. It was amazing to say the least. I did not pull the trigger. I wanted to wait for the new models to come out. My son pulled the trigger though on a 55 EF. Therefore, we saw first hand the difference in picture quality.

I recently pulled the trigger on the G6 and I am so glad I did. I was watching the Final 4 last night and my wife commented on the incredible picture. Incredible indeed. All the colors were vibrant and lively and gave the game more life.

Therefore, as one former Kuro owner to a current Kuro owner. You have a great set and when it is time you will have a terrific replacement. Since the picture quality is virtually the same down the 2016 line, there is a price suitable for all.
shyguy3763, sda, djoberg and 1 others like this.
post #1053 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmax View Post
How about 24p playback on the LGs, good and clean? Cinema style?
Yes.
koffeegy likes this.

David Mackenzie
Blu-ray Disc (and DVD) Compressionist/Author
US Correspondent & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
ISF Certified Calibrator (Level 2) / THX Certified Professional (Video Calibration Level 2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post
Yes.
Assuming its a 120hz refresh rate if it supports 24p correctly?
post #1055 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 4532 Post(s)
Liked: 5532
I went over the Value Electronics today and watched broadcast cable and the G6 had no issue upscaling. The picture looked perfect to me. I also used Netflix to watch a little of Marco Polo in Dolby Vision, Awesome! Can't wait to get my E6!
shyguy3763 likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #1056 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Wow! This is the most quotes I got on a single post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
If you wait until your Kuro breaks to buy a new TV, then you won't be able to sell it. Might as well sell it now before it's worthless and upgrade. Personally I'm waiting to see what happens with the price to replace my Kuro. I don't mind paying good money for a TV, but I'd have a hard time stomaching a significant reduction in price shortly after buying one.
How would you go about selling something like a 60 inch TV? On e-bay, locally. . .? I never did anything like that and I'm not sure how difficult it would be. Do you have any suggestions on how you would sell your Kuro? Part of the trouble is I'm not sure I'm ready to part with my beloved Kuro!! (I actually lucked out and had owned the Sony SXRD projection TV and their optical engines were crapping out all over the place. After 3 replacements my Best Buy warranty kicked in and they gave me FULL credit of that TV towards the Kuro, which was being discontinued and I got a great price on it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Welcome to the club. OLED TVs have been furnishing 0 blacks since 2013.
I knew that from reading all the posts but until today I hadn't SEEN it!!! I knew once I saw deep deep blacks I might be tempted to buy one so that's why I didn't want to see one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There are many of us Kuro and former Kuro owners that know what you are talking about. I felt the same way.
. . .
Therefore, as one former Kuro owner to a current Kuro owner. You have a great set and when it is time you will have a terrific replacement. Since the picture quality is virtually the same down the 2016 line, there is a price suitable for all.

Well, I am VERY TEMPTED!!!!! I sometimes watch my Kuro and the video is plain old 1080i coming from a FiOS fiber STB and the picture is stunning. Yes it has very good blacks but not OLED type blacks! If I did get one it certainly would be one of these newer models, but I'm really not keen on being a early adopter, although I have been in the past.

So at least for now it still way too early for me to consider getting one of these gems as they are literally just coming off of the production line and getting to consumers. I'll continue to monitor this thread as I want to make sure that if I were to buy one I wouldn't have to deal with a panel lottery as was in the past.

So in closing, the best of luck to you new owners and I am VERY JEALOUS OF YOU!!!!!

Gerry
shyguy3763, greenland and djoberg like this.
post #1057 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Assuming its a 120hz refresh rate if it supports 24p correctly?
Isn't his answer/opinion based upon reviewing it and calibrating a number of sets for Value Electronics?

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #1058 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 547
https://mobile.twitter.com/HDTVTest/...07200143130625

Hmmmm. Hope this is not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tomcup likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E, XBR-55A1E, Marantz AV8805, AV7704
Naim SN3, Hi-Cap DR, NDX2, Naim Unity Core, Emotiva XPA-9, A-5175
Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Evoke 10, 2X REL S/812, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz D2 Power Distribution,A2 and X Power and speaker cables
post #1059 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Isn't his answer/opinion based upon reviewing it and calibrating a number of sets for Value Electronics?

That's what I'm guessing. I'm not sure its typical calibration workflow to determine the television's true refresh rate. For 24p you need a multiple of 24 or otherwise you need to compromise the motion with 3:2 pulldown or some other means, hence my question/assumption to clarify his response.
post #1060 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarCRO View Post
I have run into the exact same problem. These are some of the major issues with the Samsung player. They are definitely not doing the handshaking correctly with HDCP 2.2 devices. They have also not updated the player in several weeks.

jnelson2000, didn't you have a ticket open with Samsung from last week on this very issue.

Personally I am not very optimistic Samsung will fix all the problems with their player and the apps on their player and so I am hoping the LG and Oppo come out with the Dolby Vision compatible UHD Players that can properly support the TV and my HDCP 2.2 compatible receiver.
Quick question, do you have high speed hdmi cables, if not then I don't think it will work at all and that might be your problem
post #1061 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Caleb Denison

I had a feeling someone might ask about that, LaMarr! So, the OLED wins out in the end on straight-up picture quality, no doubt. Its perfect blackness is pixel-by-pixel, whereas even the P-series, which does an outstanding job of minimizing halo and backlight bleeding, still has some of those symptoms. The P-series does get much brighter, though, and can sustain that brightness for a longer period. Also, the P-Series is considerably less expensive, and it runs on Google Cast, which I think a lot of people will enjoy.. I want to get a P-series in for deep evaluation before I outright recommend it, but my gut tells me its going to be one of the best alternatives to OLED for picture quality for the next couple of years at least.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #1062 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBoogie View Post
Quick question, do you have high speed hdmi cables, if not then I don't think it will work at all and that might be your problem
Yes. To insure Cables were not the issue I purchased 2 of the Certified Premium HDMI cables (Blue Jean Cables brand) from Amazon. That didn't clear up the issue and I personally believe that the Samsung player is doing something wrong during the Handshaking process.

I think I may need to file my own service request as it has been several weeks now with no resolution on this issue.

LG OLED65G6P
Denon AVR- X6200W
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Speaker Setup
Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra Blu-Ray Player
post #1063 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrengineer View Post
Caleb Denison

I had a feeling someone might ask about that, LaMarr! So, the OLED wins out in the end on straight-up picture quality, no doubt. Its perfect blackness is pixel-by-pixel, whereas even the P-series, which does an outstanding job of minimizing halo and backlight bleeding, still has some of those symptoms. The P-series does get much brighter, though, and can sustain that brightness for a longer period. Also, the P-Series is considerably less expensive, and it runs on Google Cast, which I think a lot of people will enjoy.. I want to get a P-series in for deep evaluation before I outright recommend it, but my gut tells me its going to be one of the best alternatives to OLED for picture quality for the next couple of years at least.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Based upon what I read/heard from you earlier I was pretty sure that was where you were coming from but IMO you should have made that distinction in your P series hands on article/video. The 2016 OLEDs appear to set the bar higher for PQ in absolute terms and the P series and probably the M series appear to obliterate any competition near their price points. I do appreciate your work!

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #1064 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
With the continual delays and now this, LG really does want to send me to the poor house.
post #1065 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
Same, since I'm looking at the 65E6.
There's this french source (hdfever) that says that this could mean a slower GPU and result in worse processing/upscaling capabilities of the other sets. The same source that also claimed that only the G6 can reach abt. 800 nits, while the others can do abt. 560.
Therefore I am very much looking forward to David's measurement of the E6 once the first one's hit VE.

LG C7D
post #1066 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post
There's this french source (hdfever) that says that this could mean a slower GPU and result in worse processing/upscaling capabilities of the other sets. The same source that also claimed that only the G6 can reach abt. 800 nits, while the others can do abt. 560.
Therefore I am very much looking forward to David's measurement of the E6 once the first one's hit VE.
We need to get some hard straight facts from LG on this. We've been led to believe the E6 and G6 were the same same minus 1 HDMI input and sound bar differences. I've put my money on an E6 and will not be happy if this isn't the case.
post #1067 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Link to HD fever?
post #1068 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
Link to HD fever?
Source is the admin of that site who is AFAIK well respected.
800 (G6)/560 nits (other 3 models) bit, see chart on:
http://www.hdfever.fr/2016/02/15/lg-...lus-abordable/
--> There's stuff in that comparison chart that is obviously wrong, e.g. the wlan specs, and I had serious doubts about it...

And:
http://www.hdfever.fr/forum/viewtopi...217657#p217657
--> He wrote in their forum that the hdtvtest tweet confirms what he had been told before, namely that the G6 will get a more powerful SoC with a faster GPU which according to him should result in better processing and upscaling.

LG C7D

Last edited by Yappadappadu; 04-05-2016 at 06:20 PM.
post #1069 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
--> There's stuff in that comparison chart that is obviously wrong, e.g. the wlan specs, and I had serious doubts about it...

And:
--> He wrote in their forum that the hdtvtest tweet confirms what he had been told before, namely that the G6 will get a more powerful SoC with a faster GPU which according to him should result in better processing and upscaling.
Why did all the dealers claim that the E6 and G6 would be the same if this is the case?
post #1070 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Well let's hope that those rumors turn out to be wrong.

LG C7D
post #1071 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

And:
In that first link, whnat does MCI on that chart mean? I saw a similar chart and I think it was motion clarity aka motion resolution? I guess it doesn't matter now because it was measured earlier and was measured the same as the 2015 sets
post #1072 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
Would the SoC have an affect on the near black level uniformity and vignetting, or is that a panel issue?
almost definitely no impact. The soc is basically the cpu and gpu. All direct control of the panel is done by custom hardware.

Maybe the slower soc will have less upscaling options available but the main and probably only difference will be the speed of apps and the webos interface.
post #1073 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
almost definitely no impact. The soc is basically the cpu and gpu. All direct control of the panel is done by custom hardware.

Maybe the slower soc will have less upscaling options available but the main and probably only difference will be the speed of apps and the webos interface.
Input Lag could be impacted greatly. My biggest concern and reason for waiting for the 2016's, someone has to confirm this soon for us. I'm already a little upset as I put money down on the E6 rather than the G6 and have lost about 10 spots in line from my local retailer.
post #1074 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

And:
Thanks for the link! We really don't know till they are thoroughly tested. Some of the recent G6 reviews are pure powder puff examples giving no real information. I want to the of what these displays can accomplish. Rtings is probably the best sight for this. I highly doubt the E-B series can only do 540 nits. I am sure they at least do 600 nits with a 10% variance safety factor. My gut is telling me they will all match the G6. The variances will be per unit. The Samsungs are putting out 1400 nits peak so LG went well above the minimum standards here.
post #1075 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
G6 Settings

I am a new owner of a 65 g6 . I have been following this forum on the g6 but, I don't recall anyone mentioning what settings on the tv they are using. I am using the isf ( dark room) setting with the color setting dropped to 50 from 52. All the other enhancement are set to off. Can another owner help with this (or one who may have calibrated the particular tv)?
post #1076 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyivan View Post
I am a new owner of a 65 g6 . I have been following this forum on the g6 but, I don't recall anyone mentioning what settings on the tv they are using. I am using the isf ( dark room) setting with the color setting dropped to 50 from 52. All the other enhancement are set to off. Can another owner help with this (or one who may have calibrated the particular tv)?
Where'd you get yours?
post #1077 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:

And:
Nicolas knows his stuff and is one of the best in depth reviewers out there, but he is getting this information all second hand from another source. I would definitely put a wait and see on it. It kind of makes sense for the price difference, but goes against everything the LG reps were stating. Namely no DV for the C and B and lesser nits than the G. Could also just be a Euro thing as their prices are usually way more expensive.
post #1078 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone gotten better than a 10% discount on the G6 excluding tax?
post #1079 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

I hope you're right, I can easily deal with slower apps and interface if it means not having the albatross of a integrated soundbar and of course a lower price.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #1080 of 22084 Old 04-05-2016, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecutter View Post
Is the Mack expensive? The LG 3 yr is $509.
PC Richard is $799

How is the coverage?

Don't really know details of coverage. Called and talked to Robert at VE and they sell whatever the top line Mack coverage is. I haven't gotten the paperwork yet, but it's supposed to cover in home and replacement coverage. Price was more than your bottom figure and less than your upper figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page