2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 416 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87612Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12451 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arlington, Va.
Posts: 1,607
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Don't know if anyone has done the update yet just noticed there is another one 4-30-15. No clue what the update fixed or added. Has anyone else applied it yet?
Dave-T is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12452 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,287
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8330
^ Got applied automatically as I was setting up the new 65E6. No problems with the update installation. No idea what it might have change.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #12453 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arlington, Va.
Posts: 1,607
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 570
I am watching Starz Network on Verizon Fios right now and OMG the picture looks amazing, even wife who could two craps did a double take when she walked in and asked what I did to the TV because the picture looks incredible, everything is sharper and the colors look more lifelike.
Dave-T is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12454 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
nextmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Don't know if anyone has done the update yet just noticed there is another one 4-30-15. No clue what the update fixed or added. Has anyone else applied it yet?
I've had this update for some time now not really sure what it did ?
nextmoney is offline  
post #12455 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thebishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningbull View Post
Watched Mr robot last night on my e6. No jail bar or banding, but the artifacts in the really dark scenes with ambient lighting were driving me crazy. Looked like major pixilation..

Specifically, there was a scene in a dark panelled room with the lights off but a high window that let daylight in the room. It looked awful. All the other scenes in that room were fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I saw it to and I'm 100% certain it's artifact from Directv, not the E6 itself.

Bish
thebishman is offline  
post #12456 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,799
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextmoney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Don't know if anyone has done the update yet just noticed there is another one 4-30-15. No clue what the update fixed or added. Has anyone else applied it yet?
I've had this update for some time now not really sure what it did ?
It fixed an issue with accepting the terms for lg TV plus. They list what the update does on their site.
guitarguy316 is offline  
post #12457 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
I saw it to and I'm 100% certain it's artifact from Directv, not the E6 itself.

Bish
That's what I was hoping! Thanks for the reassurance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

video: Lg 65e6, Oppo uhd-203, Roku ultra, nVidia Shield Pro
audio: Yamaha aventage 3050, ATI AT252NC, martin logan efx 7.1
gaming: Ps4-pro, Psvr, Ps3
other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
Spinningbull is online now  
post #12458 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,011
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 669
I watched a Dolby vision chef show on Netflix. It looked incredible. I really wish they would just drop hdr10 and do everything in DV.
Adamd is offline  
post #12459 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 3,570
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningbull View Post
Watched Mr robot last night on my e6. No jail bar or banding, but the artifacts in the really dark scenes with ambient lighting were driving me crazy. Looked like major pixilation..

Specifically, there was a scene in a dark panelled room with the lights off but a high window that let daylight in the room. It looked awful. All the other scenes in that room were fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
If you have Amazon Prime, I recommend watching over that. It looks much better than my FIOS USA Network feed. Only tested on my old plasma (don't own OLED).

I feel like these low contrast movies and shows would benefit most from an OLED because they could maximize the limited contrast available in the source material. The high-contrast reference movies that people often use for demo material already look great on most displays.
Wizziwig is offline  
post #12460 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 12:54 PM
Member
 
FredB51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I haven't seen that show, but will give it a try.
Some of us won the panel lottery! No jailbars on my 65ef9500, not on Mr. Robot or any other dark shows.

LG 65EF9500 · oppo BDP-103
Yamaha RX-V481
Klipsch 5.1 in wall speaker system

FredB51 is offline  
post #12461 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Had a question about Calibration and HDR effect.

If I have the TV set on HDR and then try to calibrate it for saturation and brightness does that defeat the HDR effect? Should I calibrate it on ISF Bright or Low and then switch and watch the content in HDR effect mode and not do any calibration on that setting?

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
TimHuey is online now  
post #12462 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,717
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked: 2298
Went to Best Buy and checked out the Z9. Nice TV but overall feel it is over priced. Had excellent color, sharpness, and detail. Good depth to the image for LED. But the contrast was clearly inferior to 2016 OLED. It was immediately apparent. I guess once you get used to OLED it is hard to go for anything less in that regard.

Also walked out with the UB900. Definitely wasn't in the cards but oh well, lol. Got a few weeks to play with it and see.
Ken Ross, Steff3 and vaktmestern like this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
drewTT is offline  
post #12463 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,479
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3067 Post(s)
Liked: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB51 View Post
Some of us won the panel lottery! No jailbars on my 65ef9500, not on Mr. Robot or any other dark shows.
Well that's good!
Cam1977 is offline  
post #12464 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,479
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3067 Post(s)
Liked: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Went to Best Buy and checked out the Z9. Nice TV but overall feel it is over priced. Had excellent color, sharpness, and detail. Good depth to the image for LED. But the contrast was clearly inferior to 2016 OLED. It was immediately apparent. I guess once you get used to OLED it is hard to go for anything less in that regard.

Also walked out with the UB900. Definitely wasn't in the cards but oh well, lol. Got a few weeks to play with it and see.
I'm banned from BB lol, tried to walk out with those too and got shot down immediately by the wifey!
Cam1977 is offline  
post #12465 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,717
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked: 2298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I'm banned from BB lol, tried to walk out with those too and got shot down immediately by the wifey!
I got 99 problems but wifey ain't one.
bostonfan2, macmane and FredB51 like this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
drewTT is offline  
post #12466 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,448
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5499 Post(s)
Liked: 3902
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Went to Best Buy and checked out the Z9. Nice TV but overall feel it is over priced. Had excellent color, sharpness, and detail. Good depth to the image for LED. But the contrast was clearly inferior to 2016 OLED. It was immediately apparent. I guess once you get used to OLED it is hard to go for anything less in that regard.

Also walked out with the UB900. Definitely wasn't in the cards but oh well, lol. Got a few weeks to play with it and see.
It does get good reviews, but it has the worst off axis viewing angle of all FALD tv's. 30 degree viewing angle. That's not very impressive.

https://www.avforums.com/review/sony...v-review.12797

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is online now  
post #12467 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,479
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3067 Post(s)
Liked: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I got 99 problems but wifey ain't one.
Lol, I'll I get to do is drule over things from now on!!!
Cam1977 is offline  
post #12468 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,479
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3067 Post(s)
Liked: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
It does get good reviews, but it has the worst off axis viewing angle of all FALD tv's. 30 degree viewing angle. That's not very impressive.

https://www.avforums.com/review/sony...v-review.12797
With the 940d right next to the z, I didn't see much of a difference, but of course not the proper place to judge.
Cam1977 is offline  
post #12469 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 04:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Pandora app

Why Pandora app is so lousy on these sets? I know it is made in Russia, but come on.
  1. There is only one screen, so the station selection takes half the screen. This is useless when a station is playing.
  2. The station info is very limited.
  3. No info on previously played tracks.
  4. My email address is prominently displayed in the upper right corner.
  5. Is there a way to disable the screen saver which gets activated after 3 minutes?

Last edited by avs2099; 09-17-2016 at 05:18 PM.
avs2099 is offline  
post #12470 of 22106 Old 09-17-2016, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,638
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
So I've heard from Robert at VE that we 65" G6 owners are eligible for the one-on-one concierge customer service (perhaps the service I recently received where my banding concern was essentially dismissed was the "lower end" VIP service, if there's really any difference), the $200 Amex GC, and the LG G Pad tablet, all of which were recently announced for 77" buyers. I hadn't registered my TV online before today (mostly because I was reticent about keeping it due to disappointing uniformity), but I went ahead and did so since I'm essentially stuck with what I have. If any of the (few) G6 owners haven't registered online yet, it might be a good idea so you can get some free swag (some of us paid more than others, so the more perks the better). Robert said I should receive a welcome packet in a few weeks. Extending the Signature warranty to 2 years would have been the most premium upgrade they could've offered IMO, but alas they don't seem to have that much confidence in the longevity of their products.
Ken Ross likes this.
video_analysis is offline  
post #12471 of 22106 Old 09-18-2016, 02:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,638
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Do you or anyone else watch the series 'Mr. Robot'? It has a very similar look to Godzilla. All really dark and low-contrast indoor lighting. I bet this would be jailbar city on the EF too. Wonder how it looks on the 2016 models.
Popped on a couple of episodes of Mr. Robot, and the PQ was overall amazing. Compression noise was visible in some of the darker scenes (maybe that obscured the band) but nothing out of the ordinary for a streamed show, and I may have seen my zipline on the far right once (a nonissue). The uniformity was fantastic for the most part. It restored my faith in this TV tonight. This was after watching the latest Luther season and S3E1 of Penny Dreadful after which I had become disgusted because the luminance was just right to trigger that bandy monster in more scenes than I cared to admit. It's all Jekyll and Hyde over here when I sit down with this TV. I've never been so mesmerized one moment yet deflated the next by an inanimate object.
MarkMul1 likes this.
video_analysis is offline  
post #12472 of 22106 Old 09-18-2016, 04:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello,

anybody knows how can i restart the TV. I mean a real restart with the WebOS Logo. I´ve tried the QuickStart setting to deactivate but i see no difference.
romeo_neon is offline  
post #12473 of 22106 Old 09-18-2016, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,212
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
With the 940d right next to the z, I didn't see much of a difference, but of course not the proper place to judge.
You wouldn't be alone in that assessment. Even the review said, aside from peak brightness where the Z clearly wins, in many other respects the 940d, Sony's previous flagship, was better. Go figure.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #12474 of 22106 Old 09-18-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,212
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
So I've heard from Robert at VE that we 65" G6 owners are eligible for the one-on-one concierge customer service (perhaps the service I recently received where my banding concern was essentially dismissed was the "lower end" VIP service, if there's really any difference), the $200 Amex GC, and the LG G Pad tablet, all of which were recently announced for 77" buyers. I hadn't registered my TV online before today (mostly because I was reticent about keeping it due to disappointing uniformity), but I went ahead and did so since I'm essentially stuck with what I have. If any of the (few) G6 owners haven't registered online yet, it might be a good idea so you can get some free swag (some of us paid more than others, so the more perks the better). Robert said I should receive a welcome packet in a few weeks. Extending the Signature warranty to 2 years would have been the most premium upgrade they could've offered IMO, but alas they don't seem to have that much confidence in the longevity of their products.
You guys deserve the extra level of service for the extra $$$ you paid.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #12475 of 22106 Old 09-18-2016, 08:57 AM
WCW
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm looking to purchase 65" OLED, either the B6 or E6. I've not seen the E6, but was able to view a B6. Just an amazing picture! I really think I would prefer the aesthetics of the glass screen on the E6 over the B6. Read most reviews, gleaned the forums for info. Any other differences other than the glass and sound that I should be aware of; i.e. processors ect? Thanks.
WCW is offline  
post #12476 of 22106 Old 09-18-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,212
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
^ Yes, the E6 will offer 3D and the B6 does not.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #12477 of 22106 Old 09-18-2016, 09:13 AM
WCW
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
^ Yes, the E6 will offer 3D and the B6 does not.
I understand the 3D viewing is incredible. Any thing else I sould consider.
WCW is offline  
post #12478 of 22106 Old 09-18-2016, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,011
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW View Post
I understand the 3D viewing is incredible. Any thing else I sould consider.
I think the e6 looks much better and looks very high end. I've owned many flag ship tv from Panasonic Sony and sharp elite and I think the e6 is the best looking and well made tv I've had. That's crazy for me to say I would have never touched an lg three years ago. I always though of lg being the very low end brand in the market.
Adamd is offline  
post #12479 of 22106 Old 09-18-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,029
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW View Post
I'm looking to purchase 65" OLED, either the B6 or E6. I've not seen the E6, but was able to view a B6. Just an amazing picture! I really think I would prefer the aesthetics of the glass screen on the E6 over the B6. Read most reviews, gleaned the forums for info. Any other differences other than the glass and sound that I should be aware of; i.e. processors ect? Thanks.
Yes - do your research very thoroughly.
WCW likes this.
New24K is offline  
post #12480 of 22106 Old 09-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Member
 
Tallcane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Alright gang. Really excited. Just ordered my e6 from Cleveland Plasma. Everything has been super smooth so far. Last thing I need to do is get a wall mount. Seems like everyone was worried early on about the universal mounts sticking out below the tv due to the low mounting points. Is that really a concern? I would like to go with a low depth tilting wall mount like the Sanus vlt16 or vlt5 but don't want to find out the bars stick out below the tv.

Seems like the mounting position is fairly adjustable on these universal mounts and that I can use the bottom hole on the vertical mounting bars to mount them up as high as possible on the back of the tv so that they won't stick out. Is that a bad idea?

Any input anyone has is greatly appreciated.
Tallcane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off