2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 419 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87678Likes

post #12541 of 22388 Old 09-19-2016, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2332
Cap. Am.: Civil War in 3d was awesome on the E Series.
jbug likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12542 of 22388 Old 09-19-2016, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How well does the 65E6P handle upscaling of external sources that are not 1080P? I have one on the way and looking for the best input configuration options.

My cable box can output either 720p or 1080i -- is one or the other preferable if going into the OLED through an HDMI switcher?

Alternatively, would it be better to use an external scaler--either a DVDO iScan Mini or routing through an Oppo 103--to upscale to 1080p and let the OLED take it from there?

Finally, both those external scaling devices can also upscale to 4K -- would that be better to feed the LG?

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Philip Brandes
post #12543 of 22388 Old 09-20-2016, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked: 3780
Gotham S2, which just appeared on Netflix today, looks incredible in comparison to the elevated black floor-ridden Penny Dreadful. It's amazing what competence in photography will do for your show (or at least not employing inane artistic direction). Though still occasionally apparent, it sent my vertical band into faint tolerable obscurity. It also entailed the suppression of more compression artifacts.
vaktmestern likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12544 of 22388 Old 09-20-2016, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Brandes View Post
How well does the 65E6P handle upscaling of external sources that are not 1080P? I have one on the way and looking for the best input configuration options.

My cable box can output either 720p or 1080i -- is one or the other preferable if going into the OLED through an HDMI switcher?

Alternatively, would it be better to use an external scaler--either a DVDO iScan Mini or routing through an Oppo 103--to upscale to 1080p and let the OLED take it from there?

Finally, both those external scaling devices can also upscale to 4K -- would that be better to feed the LG?

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Philip Brandes
I have an Oppo 105 connected to my E6. I've tried feeding the Oppo 1080p from the Oppo and letting the E6 do the upscaling and I've tried letting the Oppo do the upscaling. I find it hard to see a difference and I've ended up letting the Oppo upscale basically to keep all of the upscaling from disc sources in the one place.

The only 720p/1080i material I see on a regular basis is off air TV broadcasts and the LG is doing the upscaling there. A lot depends on the quality of the transmission. I can't say which I would prefer but depending on the program material I've seen both look good and both look rather soft, Neither looks as good as 1080p from a disc.

I think the best advice anyone can give is simply to try your cable box with both output resolutions and see which you prefer. If that doesn't look good enough to satisfy you, then start looking at an external scaler of some kind but basically just see how things go with the E6 first. That costs you nothing and it may be good enough to satisfy you.
post #12545 of 22388 Old 09-20-2016, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Thumbs up

Dolby vision Movies and players out in 2017.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1474359278
budeone, shyguy3763 and macmane like this.
post #12546 of 22388 Old 09-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
cap. Am.: Civil war in 3d was awesome on the e series.
Yes!!!
post #12547 of 22388 Old 09-20-2016, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post
Hey Gerry,
Don't worry, that's for HDR calibration. The code value setting in there is analogous to the "IRE setting" for SDR. Changing it won't do anything, it just lets the calibrator choose which part of the HDR grayscale range is being adjusted - although I'm not calibrating for HDR until I have everything figured out.
I figured it was something like that but not knowing specifically what it was I didn't want to fool with it. The calibration from VE did not include HDR but there were some non-zero numbers in some settings so I assume the calibrator did some unofficial tweaking. But the picture looks good in HDR so I'm not complaining and I'm not going to change any settings!

Gerry
post #12548 of 22388 Old 09-20-2016, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
I figured it was something like that but not knowing specifically what it was I didn't want to fool with it. The calibration from VE did not include HDR but there were some non-zero numbers in some settings so I assume the calibrator did some unofficial tweaking. But the picture looks good in HDR so I'm not complaining and I'm not going to change any settings!

Gerry
That's odd - as far as I know right now I'm the only one doing the calibrations for VE, and didn't touch the HDR white balance menu. Are you talking about R/G/B values in there?

David Mackenzie
Blu-ray Disc (and DVD) Compressionist/Author
US Correspondent & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
ISF Certified Calibrator (Level 2) / THX Certified Professional (Video Calibration Level 2)
post #12549 of 22388 Old 09-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's odd - as far as I know right now I'm the only one doing the calibrations for VE, and didn't touch the HDR white balance menu. Are you talking about R/G/B values in there?

Hi David,

I didn't notice your name at the bottom of your posts and only saw your posting name of "lyris". Yes, Robert did mention your name as being the calibrator. As far as any numbers for HDR I looked at my spreadsheet with the numbers I recorded for all the modes and you are right that there were no numbers in the White Balance for HDR. Just that code number of 668. I also looked at the Color Mgt numbers and they are all 0 also. There are some numbers of course for OLED Light, Contrast, etc. and they are different than other modes but I guess those numbers are just the defaults.

I do have a question for you! Overall I am extremely pleased with the E6 and the picture is outstanding. The only thing I have a little concern with is the motion I guess called judder. My previous TV was a Kuro 151 and its motion was not all that great and I was hoping with the E6 it would be better. Its not real bad but when I see motion it sometimes is not smooth motion and instead it moves by little jumps. Again I think that's called judder. I have the motion settings set to user at 10 debur and 2 judder, as I've seen many posts using those numbers and it certainly better than if the motion setting is off. Should I increase the 2 to a higher value? I guess I'm not sure what I should have these settings at to get to a smoother motion.

Thanks,
Gerry
post #12550 of 22388 Old 09-20-2016, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Ah, I tried changing my forum name but apparently the board software doesn't allow it! So 'lyris' I will continue to be.

Re judder: the Pioneer plasma displays have some of the best motion quality around (still). What's the source? If it's Blu-ray and the entire system is kept as 24p (no AV receivers etc changing the signal to 60hz), it sounds like you're simply seeing judder that's inherent to the content. Using the "De-judder" option will have the TV generate new motion data that isn't part of the original content.

David Mackenzie
Blu-ray Disc (and DVD) Compressionist/Author
US Correspondent & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
ISF Certified Calibrator (Level 2) / THX Certified Professional (Video Calibration Level 2)
post #12551 of 22388 Old 09-20-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Ah, I tried changing my forum name but apparently the board software doesn't allow it! So 'lyris' I will continue to be.

Re judder: the Pioneer plasma displays have some of the best motion quality around (still). What's the source? If it's Blu-ray and the entire system is kept as 24p (no AV receivers etc changing the signal to 60hz), it sounds like you're simply seeing judder that's inherent to the content. Using the "De-judder" option will have the TV generate new motion data that isn't part of the original content.
I might add that there is no single correct setting on the LG OLEDs. Depending on the content, I get the best anti-judder results with TruMotion User 2, 10, Smooth, or Off. I have my E6P presently set to Smooth as it is doing the best job with most streamed content and it is in streamed content that I find more judder than other sources.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator

post #12552 of 22388 Old 09-20-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Dolby vision Movies and players out in 2017.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1474359278
Kind of what we already knew. I have a feeling that the Oppo flagship player will be the one with Dolby Vision that comes out first. However, it looks like it will happen later then I thought. Most likely closer to the second half of next year. Looks like I will be keeping the UB900 till then.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #12553 of 22388 Old 09-20-2016, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most of what I'm watching is regular HD from a cable box. I do think what I'm seeing is judder that is inherent to the content but I also think that the E6's picture is more punchy with the better contrast so it may be more noticeable than with my old plasma. I know de-judder will create new frames but I'll probably play around with it some more to see if I can come up with a setting that looks good. But again, other than the motion not being "perfect" the picture is fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
I might add that there is no single correct setting on the LG OLEDs. Depending on the content, I get the best anti-judder results with TruMotion User 2, 10, Smooth, or Off. I have my E6P presently set to Smooth as it is doing the best job with most streamed content and it is in streamed content that I find more judder than other sources.
I'm at 2, 10 and its OK but I would like to get it a little better. I haven't tried Smooth yet so I'll give that a try and also try some other values.

Gerry
post #12554 of 22388 Old 09-20-2016, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 7017 Post(s)
Liked: 7034
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMul1 View Post
Look up chad b calibrations and you should find him. From Ohio but swings down south a few times a year. I saw him on Sunday and he was in Tallahassee the day before me. Timing not on your side this time. He's still in Florida. I would email him quick. Never know if he could hit you on the way back out.
Chad will calibrate anywhere in the world for the right price I am sure He hits CA and WA state from time to time. If you are outside his service area, normally if you get him 5 calibrations or more he will charge his normal rate, check with him of course....
Steff3 likes this.
post #12555 of 22388 Old 09-20-2016, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Hi David,

I didn't notice your name at the bottom of your posts and only saw your posting name of "lyris". Yes, Robert did mention your name as being the calibrator. As far as any numbers for HDR I looked at my spreadsheet with the numbers I recorded for all the modes and you are right that there were no numbers in the White Balance for HDR. Just that code number of 668. I also looked at the Color Mgt numbers and they are all 0 also. There are some numbers of course for OLED Light, Contrast, etc. and they are different than other modes but I guess those numbers are just the defaults.

I do have a question for you! Overall I am extremely pleased with the E6 and the picture is outstanding. The only thing I have a little concern with is the motion I guess called judder. My previous TV was a Kuro 151 and its motion was not all that great and I was hoping with the E6 it would be better. Its not real bad but when I see motion it sometimes is not smooth motion and instead it moves by little jumps. Again I think that's called judder. I have the motion settings set to user at 10 debur and 2 judder, as I've seen many posts using those numbers and it certainly better than if the motion setting is off. Should I increase the 2 to a higher value? I guess I'm not sure what I should have these settings at to get to a smoother motion.

Thanks,
Gerry
I am using 3 right now for de-judder after finding that 2 didn't do enough. Some people really hate the so called soap opera affect that tends to increase as that increases. Personally it doesn't bother me so much. Regards. Ned.
post #12556 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know this might be not the right place to ask
but I wish I get an answer here
so I am looking for HDMI cable thats support 4k and HDR any recommendations ?
budget 70$ max
post #12557 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I looked for HDMI 2.0b but I couldn't find on amazon or couldn't tell if this is 2.0b or not
so please I really need your help guys
post #12558 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 114
So guys I heard there's this perception contrast with Oled TV where its infinite black level brings out the otherwise relatively "dim" level of brightness a bit more, is that true owners? Does it make 4k HDR movies look somewhat comparable to the 4k HDR LED TV in terms of showing nice highlight and brightness? Or how do HDR movies look in general if viewed in a relatively dark room? This is one thing I would like to find out before I make a purchase if anyone could help please.
obonillaf likes this.
post #12559 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
I am using 3 right now for de-judder after finding that 2 didn't do enough. Some people really hate the so called soap opera affect that tends to increase as that increases. Personally it doesn't bother me so much. Regards. Ned.

Hi Ned,

Yes, I did try 3 but didn't have time to really look into it. This weekend I'm going to spend some time and just play around with the motion settings and settle on something. Like I said even now at 2, 10 its not bad but I would like to get it better. And I agree with you that a little bit of SOA won't bother me.

Gerry
post #12560 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Cap. Am.: Civil War in 3d was awesome on the E Series.
I saw the movie in a theater but not in 3D. I picked up the 3D blu and will be watching it this weekend with some friends.
jjackkrash likes this.
post #12561 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone26 View Post
So guys I heard there's this perception contrast with Oled TV where its infinite black level brings out the otherwise relatively "dim" level of brightness a bit more, is that true owners? Does it make 4k HDR movies look somewhat comparable to the 4k HDR LED TV in terms of showing nice highlight and brightness? Or how do HDR movies look in general if viewed in a relatively dark room? This is one thing I would like to find out before I make a purchase if anyone could help please.
Best i can say is I own just about every UHD - HDR disc out and they look great. I have zero interest in it being brighter. I even get a tad of eye strain watching my OLED on HDR.

If blazing blown out eye balls or just want the brightest just for wanting the brightest....... The new LCD units are brighter. But you get LCD.

I do believe these OLEDS are brighter than any TV ever on the market except the last year and a half.
post #12562 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 7017 Post(s)
Liked: 7034
post #12563 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMul1 View Post
Best i can say is I own just about every UHD - HDR disc out and they look great. I have zero interest in it being brighter. I even get a tad of eye strain watching my OLED on HDR.

If blazing blown out eye balls or just want the brightest just for wanting the brightest....... The new LCD units are brighter. But you get LCD.

I do believe these OLEDS are brighter than any TV ever on the market except the last year and a half.
Oh that's good to hear, I don't necessarily want the brightest or anything as long as I get to see the beauty of HDR and wide color gamut then I'd be content. I was only skeptical due to the lower peak brightness but if that's sufficient enough to see all the highlights then it's good in my book.
post #12564 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 08:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5848 Post(s)
Liked: 8353
Quote:
The E6 can produces images which are incredibly bright. It's hard to believe people could tolerate being in the same room with a set that was brighter.

The issue is the "Tone Mapping". If you have HDR content that's authored to produce specular highlights at 4,000 nits, the E6 can't do that. So it maps these very bright highlights into the range it CAN reproduce. Now, that's plenty bright but the mapping has to squeeze a large range of content values into a small range of upper output the E6 can reproduce, so you can lose "detail" in those highlights. The worry is not that things won't look bright enough to your eye, but that you won't see all the detail in those bright highlights that you were intended to see.

But these specular highlights are not supposed to be large. They are glints and sparks and such. So there's not that much detail to lose because such really bright areas are not that big.

Now the region of reproduction where Tone Mapping takes effect blends down into less bright values as well. And so the issue is that those values, which may be used to show larger bright patches (although not as bright as glints and sparks), may also lose detail that WOULD be noticed. And that all comes down to how good the Tone Mapping algorithm is in the E6.

And judging THAT is made complicated by the fact that the studios are all over the map these days in how they are producing UHD HDR content!

The bottom line is you are unlikely to feel the E6 is not bright enough. Much the opposite, you are likely to feel that HDR content is TOO DARN BRIGHT. But you may POSSIBLY run into cases where there's detail loss in bright parts of the image. Time alone will tell whether the studios will get their act together, along with the display makers, and resolve this.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #12565 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 08:35 AM

Thanks Bob. HDR really is in its infancy I see, I suppose when watching DV content on a DV capable physical player whenever that releases would improve Oled's HDR quality even more then? Man it's hard to be an early adopter.
post #12566 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofaisalo View Post
budget 70$ max
Go to Blue Jeans cable and get their certified HDMI high speed cables.
Bish
jmanthey and shyguy3763 like this.
post #12567 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5848 Post(s)
Liked: 8353
Quote:
Thanks Bob. HDR really is in its infancy I see, I suppose when watching DV content on a DV capable physical player whenever that releases would improve Oled's HDR quality even more then? Man it's hard to be an early adopter.
Since Dolby Vision is proprietary, and hardware based, Dolby is able to enforce some rigor here. For example, display manufacturers are not allowed to "invent their own" Tone Mapping for Dolby Vision the way they can (and do) for HDR-10.

On the down side (from an OLED user's perspective), most of the HDR-10 content is being developed assuming 1,000 nit displays, whereas Dolby Vision mandates 4,000. Now since Dolby controls the Tone Mapping, they can certainly take 700 nit OLED displays like the E6 into account, but it is still the case that the content is being authored for sets that can do glints much brighter.

There's also the problem that studio reference monitors for this are still just coming together, too. You've got two primary choices right now: One that can do UHD but only up to 1,000 nits, and another that can do 4,000 nits but only up to 1080p! What with that, and the whole learning curve about how to properly exploit HDR in UHD to get the desired, filmic results, it's no wonder that some early discs might be, umm, odd.

Yes, we are living in interesting times.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #12568 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofaisalo View Post
budget 70$ max
Monoprice....$4.99 for Certified Premium cables....I bought a box of them for 20 bucks. No need to waste 50 bucks.
budeone and fhschellenberg like this.
post #12569 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 09:35 AM

One thing is for sure, HDR really confuses the **** out of average Joys and it's not helped when even the industry itself isn't sure of its direction yet. I miss the days when buying a tv is used to be just looking at how slim and sharp it is.
post #12570 of 22388 Old 09-21-2016, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Yes... Its the wild wild west....

But I cannot stress enough how absolutely beautiful most of these UHD movies are on my E6. Some you can tell they are mastered odd but most are fantastic. And if they look fantastic wrong I cant imagine what they would like like done right.

Based on how good I've seen it i would be very very upset with myself if i just decided not to watch UHD and HDR until it is perfect... maybe 2 or 3 years from now. Upset meaning, 2 to 3 years from now some one showed me what it look like today and i missed out for 2-3 years.. It really is pretty good now even not perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page