2016 LG OLED 65G6P and 65E6P Owners Thread - Page 510 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87598Likes

post #15271 of 22061 Old 12-28-2016, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4475 Post(s)
Liked: 5489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post
HDR Standard + Dynamic Contrast OFF is the best setting for me.

If you have any doubts, try watching SULLY 4K Blu-ray and watch the beginning when he's sitting down in a dark room (timestamp 00:01:50). See how murky and washed out the blacks look with DC turned on with any setting (low-high). Then turning it off, see how natural the darks in the room now look.

Im using the new Oppo UDP-203 in 4K with HDR (just for system reference).
HDR Standard will give you the most accurate picture.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15272 of 22061 Old 12-28-2016, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by binzokun View Post
Hey did anybody figure out how to get HDMI-CEC/simplink to work on the PS4 Pro? I have simplink enabled and HDMI control enabled on the PS4 pro, but just can't get the magic remote to work with the PS4 Pro. Is there a setting I'm missing or its suppose to connect automatically? when I try to setup universal control I try to select game console and it wouldn't even setup or anything.
It just worked out of the box for me.

I think ARC only works if Simplink is on, so I had that on since I use ARC for my cable box and the TV apps. I turned CEC On, on the PS4 Pro. I'm able to control the PS4 Pro with the Magic Remote, including XMB navigation, as well as controlling Blu-ray playback.

Unfortunately it works a little too well, so I ended up turning HDMI-CEC off on the PS4 Pro. If I powered on my PS4 Pro, the TV would switch to HDMI 2 and my Denon 720w receiver would switch to the PS4 Pro HDMI. Or, if I just switched my E6 to HDMI 2, the PS4 would power on, and the Denon would switch to the right HDMI. I have the Samsung K8500 UHD player hooked up to the Denon as well, so when I use my Harmony to do the Watch Movie activity, which turns on the K8500, switches to HDMI 2 on the E6, and the right HDMI on the Denon. The problem is that when all the happens, the PS4 Pro still comes on, just because the E6 is turned to HDMI 2, and then the Denon picks up that the PS4 Pro is on, and switches from the K8500 HDMI to the PS4 Pro HDMI. It also works in reverse if I turn on the PS4 Pro, the K8500 would come on.

So for me, I didn't have to do any fiddling to get it to work in terms of controlling the PS4 Pro with the Magic Remote. Like I said though, for me it works a little too well, and I couldn't figure out how to make all the components come on ONLY when I want them to.

post #15273 of 22061 Old 12-28-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Technically you can but you may loose your warranty it depends on how easy the access to the speaker bar wires, And even if all that possible you still have to run the center wire to your TV unless you have the receiver right underneath your TV, Some TV's that have a speaker bar detachable are easy to use as center speaker.
Yep, that would work....Extended warranty would not cover that TV either after a alteration like that.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15274 of 22061 Old 12-28-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAtherton View Post
Having splashed out for the G6 I'd like to find a way to use the built-in speaker as a center one in a 5.1 config. My R, L & rear speakers are built into the walls, and I want to avoid having to buy a center speaker since I've already paid a premium for the G6 version.

Is this possible, please? (I've tried to read the previous 500+ pages without finding the answer.)

Any help would be much appreciated.
I wanted to do the same, since my previous set had a menu function and rear panel input to do just that, using its built-in amp and speakers, which I used.

Unfortunately, without physically modifying the LG (not a good idea), it can't be done.
post #15275 of 22061 Old 12-28-2016, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx74ray View Post
Try another HDMI cable. That fixed mine.
I'm using the same cable to connect my 1st Generation PS4. PS4 works perfectly fine while playing 3D blue rays as well as 3D demos in Youtube. I also tested with HDMI Deep color turned on and off. It doesn't matter what I do with my XOS, it does not detect a 3D signal no matter what I try. I find this very unusual especially when a Google search for this issue brings up no hits. Maybe the XOS 3D just isn't compatible with the E6P which is ridiculous.
post #15276 of 22061 Old 12-28-2016, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoderage View Post
I'm using the same cable to connect my 1st Generation PS4. PS4 works perfectly fine while playing 3D blue rays as well as 3D demos in Youtube. I also tested with HDMI Deep color turned on and off. It doesn't matter what I do with my XOS, it does not detect a 3D signal no matter what I try. I find this very unusual especially when a Google search for this issue brings up no hits. Maybe the XOS 3D just isn't compatible with the E6P which is ridiculous.
Just turn of the Xbox one after it Wont load and it will play in 3D on the second try. this happend a few times for me aswell.
post #15277 of 22061 Old 12-28-2016, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Exclamation

subbed

Last edited by Pir8pete; 12-29-2016 at 01:28 AM.
post #15278 of 22061 Old 12-28-2016, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs2099 View Post
Why Pandora app is so lousy on these sets? I know it is made in Russia, but come on.
  1. There is only one screen, so the station selection takes half the screen. This is useless when a station is playing.
  2. The station info is very limited.
  3. No info on previously played tracks.
  4. My email address is prominently displayed in the upper right corner.
  5. Is there a way to disable the screen saver which gets activated after 3 minutes?
The Pandora app will be deactivated at the end of this month. Does anybody know if there is going to be another version?
post #15279 of 22061 Old 12-28-2016, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
It just worked out of the box for me.

I think ARC only works if Simplink is on, so I had that on since I use ARC for my cable box and the TV apps. I turned CEC On, on the PS4 Pro. I'm able to control the PS4 Pro with the Magic Remote, including XMB navigation, as well as controlling Blu-ray playback.

Unfortunately it works a little too well, so I ended up turning HDMI-CEC off on the PS4 Pro. If I powered on my PS4 Pro, the TV would switch to HDMI 2 and my Denon 720w receiver would switch to the PS4 Pro HDMI. Or, if I just switched my E6 to HDMI 2, the PS4 would power on, and the Denon would switch to the right HDMI. I have the Samsung K8500 UHD player hooked up to the Denon as well, so when I use my Harmony to do the Watch Movie activity, which turns on the K8500, switches to HDMI 2 on the E6, and the right HDMI on the Denon. The problem is that when all the happens, the PS4 Pro still comes on, just because the E6 is turned to HDMI 2, and then the Denon picks up that the PS4 Pro is on, and switches from the K8500 HDMI to the PS4 Pro HDMI. It also works in reverse if I turn on the PS4 Pro, the K8500 would come on.

So for me, I didn't have to do any fiddling to get it to work in terms of controlling the PS4 Pro with the Magic Remote. Like I said though, for me it works a little too well, and I couldn't figure out how to make all the components come on ONLY when I want them to.
My magic remote briefly was able to work out of the blue this morning and I was able to control the PS4 Pro and it just stopped working again. I guess its just not that dependable, I do feel like its the PS4 Pro that's having problems talking with the TV as it seems to cause a lot of problems with 4ktvs.
post #15280 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binzokun View Post
My magic remote briefly was able to work out of the blue this morning and I was able to control the PS4 Pro and it just stopped working again. I guess its just not that dependable, I do feel like its the PS4 Pro that's having problems talking with the TV as it seems to cause a lot of problems with 4ktvs.
Always a bit difficult to diagnose HDMI issues. Are you connecting the PS4 Pro directly to the TV or to your receiver (you probably mentioned it, but I don't remember, sorry)? Do you have CEC turned on on the receiver as well, if you're using one? Did you try going direct to TV to rule out the receiver being the culprit?

It worked flawlessly on mine, so not sure it's the Pro. It worked better than my Harmony. Play and Pause worked on BD playback with the Magic Remote. They didn't on the Harmony last I checked, and I would either need to use the controller or hit the PS button on the Harmony to go to the XMB and then hit it again to go back to the BD to get it to Pause and Play.

post #15281 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 87
This is a headache and I can't find that much information. So with hdr standard and hdr bright, from a scale of warm color temperature of 0-50..........what's the proper number for warm 1 vs warm 2 etc.
post #15282 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Always a bit difficult to diagnose HDMI issues. Are you connecting the PS4 Pro directly to the TV or to your receiver (you probably mentioned it, but I don't remember, sorry)? Do you have CEC turned on on the receiver as well, if you're using one? Did you try going direct to TV to rule out the receiver being the culprit?

It worked flawlessly on mine, so not sure it's the Pro. It worked better than my Harmony. Play and Pause worked on BD playback with the Magic Remote. They didn't on the Harmony last I checked, and I would either need to use the controller or hit the PS button on the Harmony to go to the XMB and then hit it again to go back to the BD to get it to Pause and Play.
I have my Pro connected directly to the E6 and I can control the PS4 via the Magic Remote. I'm using the optical out from the TV to my AVR, but the sound option I'm using also enables parts of HDMI-CEC/ARC ... might be related/necessary?
post #15283 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborn007 View Post
This is a headache and I can't find that much information. So with hdr standard and hdr bright, from a scale of warm color temperature of 0-50..........what's the proper number for warm 1 vs warm 2 etc.
If it's like Game Mode, which also uses that 0-50 Warm - Cool slider, my meter measured W50 as being the most accurate.

post #15284 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post
I have my Pro connected directly to the E6 and I can control the PS4 via the Magic Remote. I'm using the optical out from the TV to my AVR, but the sound option I'm using also enables parts of HDMI-CEC/ARC ... might be related/necessary?
I have mine connected to my Denon 720w and the 720w connected to the E6 via the HDMI 2 (ARC) input. I use ARC for audio of my cable box and TV apps, so I have CEC Simplink on too. I needed to turn CEC off on my PS4 Pro and K8500 though, because they conflicted when CEC was left on on them. They are both connected to the Denon.

post #15285 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySportRyan View Post
Merry Christmas everyone! Could you guys please take a look at my 3d slides and tell me if there is an issue with my filter alignment? For some reason when looking through a different eye the color changes from a brownish grey to a blueish purple hue? Also there looks to be some horizontal streaking effect. Thank you!
Cannot comment on colour. Maybe someone else here. The passthrough is about same as mine so whatever it is isn't an alignment issue
I can see you've not got just scan enabled, you're getting over scan which means every picture will be scaled and cropped.

Regards

Idea:. Fix the just scan, and then in TV 3d settings such the left and right views. Did the colour cast move? Would tell you if it's a physical screen property

Last edited by chrisdack; 12-29-2016 at 10:48 AM.
post #15286 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If it's like Game Mode, which also uses that 0-50 Warm - Cool slider, my meter measured W50 as being the most accurate.
That's pretty max out for warm 2 but thanks. For gaming I always use cool otherwise you lose out on the bright whites.
post #15287 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's pretty max out for warm 2 but thanks. For gaming I always use cool otherwise you lose out on the bright whites.
Well you said "proper" lol. To me that denotes accurate.
macmane and Tomcup like this.

post #15288 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySportRyan View Post
Merry Christmas everyone! Could you guys please take a look at my 3d slides and tell me if there is an issue with my filter alignment? For some reason when looking through a different eye the color changes from a brownish grey to a blueish purple hue? Also there looks to be some horizontal streaking effect. Thank you!
Which slides/videos are you using for this test? I'd like to test my 3D as well.

Thanks!
post #15289 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OMG I didn't even realize hdr bright only use 0-50 for warm as opposed to standard you can manually select warm 2. Gosh so much to pay attention to but you said w50 is the closes thanks.
post #15290 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by theclipper View Post

Which slides/videos are you using for this test? I'd like to test my 3D as well.

Thanks!
Im sure im gonna get bashed for this on here but the videos I used were on youtube "gasp"! Just search for "3d crosstalk tests" and there is several on there to use.
post #15291 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post

Cannot comment on colour. Maybe someone else here. The passthrough is about same as mine so whatever it is isn't an alignment issue
I can see you've not got just scan enabled, you're getting over scan which means every picture will be scaled and cropped.

Regards

Idea:. Fix the just scan, and then in TV 3d settings such the left and right views. Did the colour cast move? Would tell you if it's a physical screen property
Just scan is enabled, its the video that has the image overscanned. Im still experiencing the color shift issue when I switch eyes. Doing the 3d settings to left and right still shows my color shift. So when i look with my right eye everything has a blue cast to it and when i switch to my left it changes to a grey cast. Do you have a link to the slides to these tests to rule out streaming artifacts that could possibly interfere with these tests?

Good to hear that the filter pass through is the same as yours except for the color shift. Does your set do the shift or does it keep the same color or is there no shift at all? Thanks again!

Last edited by RallySportRyan; 12-29-2016 at 04:21 PM.
post #15292 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4299 Post(s)
Liked: 3724
You were probably thinking of me, but I'm not bashing you for that. For 3D testing, it is a quick solution. There is something downloadable out there, but it's not as readily known about or available as the slides.
post #15293 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpuaFSB View Post
Hey so after complaining Magnolia (Best Buy) swapped out my 65E6P even though I threw out the box the replacement panel I got so far is dead solid perfect, so happy.
No question, you paid a lot of $$$$ plus tax for an easy swap. In most cases anyway......
HarpuaFSB likes this.
post #15294 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
No question, you paid a lot of $$$$ plus tax for an easy swap. In most cases anyway......
I like how you pretend you can avoid tax by buying online. You know customers are required to claim that on their taxes right? If they don't that's on them but slighting someone for buying in a brick and mortar and paying tax is a bit childish.
post #15295 of 22061 Old 12-29-2016, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
rtings added an IR test to their test suite and the OLEDs faired really poorly.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/image-retention-burn-in
post #15296 of 22061 Old 12-30-2016, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5404 Post(s)
Liked: 3826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwong View Post
rtings added an IR test to their test suite and the OLEDs faired really poorly.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/image-retention-burn-in
I never worry about IR. It always goes away on both my E6 and 9500. The 10 minute auto comp cycle takes care of it. IR is not the same as BI. You really have to abuse this tv bad, a lot worse than plasma, to ever get BI. It's a non issue. And I never had BI on my 2 former plasmas.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #15297 of 22061 Old 12-30-2016, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I never worry about IR. It always goes away on both my E6 and 9500. The 10 minute auto comp cycle takes care of it. IR is not the same as BI. You really have to abuse this tv bad, a lot worse than plasma, to ever get BI. It's a non issue. And I never had BI on my 2 former plasmas.

I wouldn't say it's a nice non-issue. I'd say it's more of a minor issue. I do notice IR way more than I used to on my Pioneer plasma, even though it does eventually goes away on its own.
post #15298 of 22061 Old 12-30-2016, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by twennywonn View Post
I like how you pretend you can avoid tax by buying online. You know customers are required to claim that on their taxes right? If they don't that's on them but slighting someone for buying in a brick and mortar and paying tax is a bit childish.
Ehhh. Cmon now. Buying online does avoid taxes and it's been that way for years and years. That's why for some products many of us chose to go this route. I was all set to buy a TV from an online retailer but got lucky with a crazy price match and bought locally.

Sure, there are LOTS of things we are supposed to claim on taxes but don't. Poker winnings with friends? Who claims that that? Youre supposed to. Like business owners don't "fudge" some numbers? It's the way of things. I'm not gonna get into a moral tax argument here. But calling out Cleveland AV for their comments wasn't warranted IMO.
fhschellenberg and clone1008 like this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #15299 of 22061 Old 12-30-2016, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OMG I didn't even realize hdr bright only use 0-50 for warm as opposed to standard you can manually select warm 2. Gosh so much to pay attention to but you said w50 is the closes thanks.
Yes, you can just select Warm 2 for HDR Standard. HDR Bright uses the same sliding scale that Game Mode uses. Haven't measured in HDR Bright, but when I measured grayscale in Game Mode, W50 was the closest to reference. It was pretty accurate up until you got to around 80% White IIRC, and then the dEs increase from there. Gets pretty inaccurate the higher you go with I think 100% White having a dE of like 7 or something.

When I measured the default 0, though, It was way worse with dE's approaching 20 or more as you got closer to 100% White. So W50 is the best of the worst. No idea why LG doesn't allow us to use a normal Color Temp in Game Mode or HDR Bright.

post #15300 of 22061 Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
You were probably thinking of me, but I'm not bashing you for that. For 3D testing, it is a quick solution. There is something downloadable out there, but it's not as readily known about or available as the slides.
There are also 3D test slides on "Spears & Munsil v2", Blu-ray. Remember to enable the 3D output in the disc's settings menu. These include the basic calibration charts, and also charts specifically for testing 3D performance. For example, the "positioning" chart is a good test for making sure you've got good 3D alignment to all 4 edges and corners. Very helpful in adjusting pointing of the panel if you are sitting a bit too close.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
65e6p , 65G6P , dolby vision , OLED55C6P , OLED65E6P , vesa mount. shelving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page